Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Plebian Parasite posted:

What's the best upgrade in a Metroidvania?

My vote is for Ori's Bash, pretty much makes the whole game.

This probably isn't the best upgrade ever, but the first one that comes to mind is the upgrade in Touhou Luna Nights that lets you stand on top of your own throwing daggers during timestop. Which in terms of utility is just a kind of space jump, but the way it works is just funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't know if this is the case here, but I feel like if someone tries to make the same game again and again except better each time, they will at some point run out of ideas.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I will tell you the secret truth that in Japanese game development, "adventure" just means any sequence where you have text boxes and portraits to convey dialog. Like, that's how they name the files and stuff. That is the legal definition of "adventure."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Soulslike just means "drops your pocket change on death" to be honest. What else has it ever meant?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean the idea is that there is a gameplay loop where you regularly die, and the threat of losing your pocket change makes you care a bit more than usual. Occupying a sort of space between a roguelike and a traditional game.