Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
have there been any good metroidvanias released this year, i haven't even really heard of any recent ones get much attention so i have no idea if there's some hidden gems i've totally missed or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

oh that had been in early access for years & it sounded pretty average last time i heard about it. maybe it's improved a lot in the last 3 years though?

lih
May 15, 2013

Vinestalk posted:

Anyone play Cathedral? Steam recommended it to me, but I've been too busy to pick it up. Might do so when a sale rolls around.

it's ok, not great. it's pretty difficult and punishing but the combat isn't that engaging - it's a whole lot of trial and error. surprisingly lengthy compared to most in the genre & has some decent abilities. i gave up on the second last boss who was unbelievably bullshit though.

lih
May 15, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

Seconding Axiom Verge 2, it was the game for me in 2021 and is MUCH better than the first game by a lot. The music is also cool.

i like it a lot more than the first but it's going for a very different thing so i get why people who loved the first didn't like it as much.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.mcvuk.com/development-news/when-we-made-hollow-knight/

there's this interview with the hollow knight devs where they say they hadn't actually played much dark souls before hollow knight released and they kept getting the comparison, so it wasn't much of a direct influence on them

lih
May 15, 2013

i don't remember av1 being very obtuse/hard to figure out where to go until maybe near the end of the game. what i really appreciated about av2 was how non-linear it is, it's very open-ended and you can explore in all sorts of directions, unlike av1 which has a rather set path unless you're deliberately sequence breaking.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, that sounds like an Igavania. I used to very staunchly prefer the Metroid half to the vania half of the genre label because of those exact reasons - Metroid doesn't get nearly as bogged down with combat, doesn't rely on questionably designed RPG cruft, and is about exploration first and foremost.

I've since reoriented my understanding of Igavanias around their similarities to Dark Souls; action RPG first, exploration a firm second. And that helped me really get sucked into SotN. But then every subsequent one has its own weird quirks and foibles and I don't think any of them have really managed to actually nail the combat or at least innovate past the same basic action RPG format.

the real problem with igavanias is the action just doesn't feel that good, they could get away with the rest if the action made up for it, but it's always just varying degrees of clunky and bloodstained was quite bad for that. sotn is at least so wildly sprawling that it's engaging enough to explore.

lih
May 15, 2013

hollow knight is one of the best games ever made and a tier above nearly everything else in the genre in terms of scope, freedom of exploration, and combat. that doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws but they're relatively minor.

the map mechanic was interesting - getting lost your first time through an area was compelling - but i hardly think it's an essential part of the game and i get why a lot of people would hate it. i did not care for the endgame precision platforming stuff at all and focusing a lot of the post-release content on even more extreme challenge bosses & boss rushes was exhausting and i lost interest. there was also the occasional platforming segment throughout the game that was an obnoxious brief difficulty spike.

lih
May 15, 2013

John Lee posted:

I like Banjo-Tooie more than Banjo-Kazooie
is Banjo-Tooie a metroidvania?

lih
May 15, 2013

cathedral is just ok at best. it's very punishing (but not like in a cool dark souls way) and the general balance is pretty weird. some of the bosses towards the end of the game are just unbelievably bullshit and i never finished it. but i still got more out of it than a lot of other games people seem to rate reasonably well like salt & sanctuary and ender lillies so idk

lih
May 15, 2013

the lost crown demo does everything right (although it's too short to get any sort of feel for things like if it's too linear/hand-holdy etc.) and reviews are saying it's pretty lengthy (25 hours!) instead of being over too soon like many indie metroidvanias so i feel pretty optimistic about it. traversal and combat just feel so good

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah the story seems to be the only thing reviews are consistently underwhelmed by

lih
May 15, 2013

you should be able to make progress in the hall of phantoms, fairly close to where you found the bell

lih
May 15, 2013

you can actually turn that off in the accessibility settings i think

lih
May 15, 2013

hollow knight is unfortunately quite an outlier in terms of how open it is yeah

lih
May 15, 2013

finally getting around to blasphemous 2 and wow, it's fantastic. the first was good but this is even better? it's so open

lih
May 15, 2013

5 hours into afterimage and it's quite strange because it's generally a little janky and unpolished and has a million obvious flaws but none of that really matters because everything works just well enough and it understands exploration so well? i think it can get away with things like the areas being absolutely gigantic and the combat being not much more than serviceable because the default difficulty is so low - i'd probably like it to be a little bit harder but if it were too much harder there'd be a lot more friction from everything and all the minor flaws would become gigantic ones. it is funny though how tame the difficulty is because when it gives you a warning that an enemy is too high-level, this can mean 'this enemy will one shot you' or 'this is just enough of a threat to be interesting' or even 'this is still no threat at all' and you have no real idea of which it will be.

lih
May 15, 2013

sudonim posted:

I got bored in afterimage because the attacks are simple to the point of repetitive but every enemy seems to take too many of them before going down. If the enemies were a little more frail and I was moving through them faster maybe I'd enjoy it more. Or maybe I'm bad at making a build?

there are a bunch of weapon types with multihit attacks that just melt enemies unless you're underlevelled/underequipped for an area and even then they generally die pretty quick, i haven't found enemies to be damage sponges much at all

lih
May 15, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing different games to some of you guys on here I swear. I stopped playing because the enemy spam was too annoying and didn't go with the fairly dull, rigid combat and big HP bars on everything

yeah i had the same experience, i didn't get more than a few hours in because the combat was terrible, doing the soulslike thing of committed attack animations but your defensive options are terrible and the enemies are all damage sponges and do non-trivial damage. maybe people are right that you can become OP before too long and start melting through enemies but i certainly wasn't there yet and it was miserable

i certainly wouldn't compare it to a pretty easy game like bloodstained

lih
May 15, 2013

nemesis_hub posted:

Finishing up Blasphemous and I’ve been loving it. How’s Afterimage? It looks interesting but I never hear people talk about it?

afterimage is like if hollow knight was a castlevania, or maybe the other way around. it is very big and open and the exploration is excellent, but the plot is very difficult to follow, the combat is generally a pushover (but feels fine, it's quite castlevania-y or maybe megaman zero-ish?) and has very superfluous rpg elements. it also gets pretty inscrutable about what you actually need to do in the endgame.

i definitely recommend it as long as you're fine with the combat not being deep or challenging

lih
May 15, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Hollow Knight but an Igavania would be great

this is afterimage but probably not in the way you're after

hollow knight is pretty reminiscent of dark souls, but it's mostly just the story & general atmosphere apart from a few mechanics - the corpse run is very blatant and the heal is somewhat similar. there is a similar appeal in precisely learning boss patterns too and the combat generally being punishing, but it isn't very mechanically close to souls combat unlike some games which very blatantly try to do 2D dark souls

lih fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 4, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

salt & sanctuary is just one of many games that very directly tried to make '2d dark souls' and it sucks both at that and more generally. hollow knight feels way closer in spirit even though it doesn't have a stamina metre or dodge roll or anything

lih
May 15, 2013

wow the difficult really spikes in the second half of the lost crown in a way that is just exhausting

lih
May 15, 2013

sudonim posted:

Adjust the difficulty down when you get to a boss, saves you a lot of stress.

it's weird because the bosses previously had not been an issue at all but suddenly they're ridiculous, and the precision platforming is just exhausting

lih
May 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

Someone mentioning Rain World reminds me that it it exists and it always looked intriguing, might be a good one to check out even though I've never understood if it was a straight platformer or some kind of "survival" game.

afterimage captures the same feeling of getting lost in a huge non-linear world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

i didn't like the tales of kenzara demo much - it was very linear with no actual exploration, combat was kinda clunky, and there was a lot of forced backtracking

i finished pop: the lost crown - i think it could have really done with allowing the player to get lost a bit more, and there's some brief difficulty spikes like 2/3rds into the game, but super solid overall.