Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"adventure" is by far the worst defined genre name in games, and i can get why people wouldn't use it

Adventure games are the games where you fight against Roberta Williams level nightmare dream logic, and lose, but don't find out until you've spent a few hours in a dead man walking situation

Which seems rather opposite to a metroidvania game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't understand lumping Hollow Knight into all of this. The game specifically does not make you engage with its story, it's all stuff for a completionist, and the unhappy ending you get for all that doesn't differ from the general aesthetic of the game; everything is hosed, and good luck fixing it.

As a game, Hollow Knight has some hard as gently caress places, but that is intentional, places like the Deep Nest are meant to freak you out and not really want to engage, the megaman spike pits are crawling bugs and so on. I'm not sure what anyone wants out of a game experience of exploration and wonderment, but Hollow Knight pretty much ticks every box on that check-list.

Hell, even Super Mario Brothers the Third has the "giant world" and that is just a bunch of nonsense thrown at you.