Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"adventure" is by far the worst defined genre name in games, and i can get why people wouldn't use it

It's a misleading label for sure, but Adventure games are in the same genre-naming boat as Metroidvania, Roguelike, Souls-like and how FPS used to be called Doom clones, they're named after Adventure (1976) a.k.a. Colossal Cave Adventure which was the first game in its genre and directly inspired Zork and other text adventures and later the same design lineage produced the graphical adventures of Sierra, LucasArts etc.
I hate the word Metroidvania though because I associate it with cooler-than-thou videogame hipsters like Tim Rogers but it's basically stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Do any games in this genre make enemies in previously visited areas eventually stop spawning? It kind of seems like a common issue with these games that you eventually get tired of fighting the same groups of enemies every time while backtracking looking for items and such. Or a passive ability to make weaker enemies stop appearing like some JRPGs with random encounters have. Late-game super powered abilities like Screw Attack that trivialize most enemies aren't exactly the same thing since they still require a minimal level of engagement.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

KNR posted:

The stealth emmis are boring and much worse than the lategame chase ones, but those are still worse chase sequences in a MV than either Ori game.

But my real issue with the emmis is how they contribute to the absolutely dogshit exploration of Dread. The game already does its best to discourage going off to explore by constantly silently closing off routes based on story progress, but then the map is also filled with giant rooms that are miserable or impossible to backtrack through before the corresponding emmi is dead and still slow to backtrack through after.

No way, nothing involving the EMMIs was as bad as the sand worm chase from the endgame of Ori 2.

I will say that Metroid Dread was my first experience with the genre and I was surprised how heavily on-rails it was for most of the game, it wasn't until I played Hollow Knight that I found a game that aligned with what I thought these sort of games were (basically free roaming exploration).

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Prince of Persia: In the Temple of Knowledge, on the 4th puzzle where you have 3 copies of your character (where you need to pull a lever in a little room to make a vertical wall pop out), I think I know the solution but my idea requires really insanely precise split-second timing to actually pull off.

Don't really want detailed hints, just yes or no confirmation, is it true the solution to that puzzle requires super precise split-second timing? Not sure if I am wasting time practicing the timing or if there's a different solution which is easier to pull off.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

From memory none of those needed split second timing just sensible placement of each copy. But I can't remember any of the actual solutions so lol

Thanks everyone, got it today

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, you're probably doing something inefficient or giving yourself less time than necessary.

Yeah I was overdoing it and trying to dash through / use teleport to dash through the grate in the split-second it opened instead of the much easier actual solution that I realized later.

Fedule posted:

they decided to crib so liberally and so well from Metroid Dread

Yeah was tempted to say "they put an EMMI in Prince of Persia" during all the EMMI discussion

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah for sure, I've attempted the one little room where you have to dodge different patterns of rotating saw blades moving across the room for what seems like forever, tried it like a million times and finally gave in and looked at YouTube to see how close I was to the end. Then on the video I saw that the reward is just a pair of pants and that killed my urge to try it again. Though it's relieving if anything to think I'm not missing anything. Which as somebody said is probably the point of putting useless rewards behind the hardest challenges, but of course most of the time there's no way to know the reward without beating the challenge or looking it up.

Also when entering a new room I got a tutorial prompt for an ability that I don't actually have. I must have done a very minor sequence break, felt pretty cool. (The "night temple" on the right side of the upper city, which I guess I was not supposed to be able to enter without the grappling hook-like ability, but I got in without it using the chakram teleport. It gave me a prompt saying press R to pull yourself to enemies with the grappling hook, which I don't have.)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Cemetry Gator posted:

The forest is above the sea?

Since the game takes place on a mountain, I think we can assume that the sea is in front of everything else and the forest is higher up on the slope behind it.... as when you are in the sea area you can see the walls of the main city behind you. And explains other oddities like exiting the cave at the bottom of the map to a cliff overlooking the sky. But yeah in terms of geographical cues it's easy to forget that the game is supposed to be set on a mountain at all, outside of the setting of the game being called Mount Qaf in dialogues.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The quests feel awkward. I don’t know why they’re there. You just sort of do them. And then they just sort of drop off.

Feels like a thing they felt you just have to have if you are making a game, much like the hundreds of pointless journal entries and stone tablets lying around everywhere. To name another recent game, sort of like how Pikmin 4 had to introduce a side quest system to the series, but all the quests were just pointless things like "defeat a total of 100 enemies" that you would be doing anyway just by normally playing the game.

Cemetry Gator posted:

But the game does a lot well. The controls are mostly really good. You just need to rebind the one power to make jumps better.

You mean the one where you have to click the right stick mid-air while jumping to switch between purple/blue blocks? That never stops being awkward

Yeah I think most people would agree it's largely an excellent game mechanically speaking, but poor in terms of the actual context of where you are and what you are doing.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Well, I suppose the signs were there all along, but I wasn't expecting Prince of Persia to turn into a JRPG

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Vergil turns up after like five hours lol

I haven't played Devil May Cry so I didn't really know what people were going on about

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

fatsleepycat posted:

Luckily you can rebind the controls, even on Switch. I bound that power to A or maybe R and it was immediately so much nicer. I put dimensional claw on R3 and that worked pretty well since you're generally not using it in platforming contexts.

Really wish I'd done that since I barely used dimensional claw at all. Also not sure why we are spoiler tagging the names of the abilities since they tell you very little about what they actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

Someone mentioning Rain World reminds me that it it exists and it always looked intriguing, might be a good one to check out even though I've never understood if it was a straight platformer or some kind of "survival" game.