Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Steamworld dig 2 was really good and I wish there was more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Haak has been pretty good so far. The combat is pretty chilled out and not overly complicated so far, which is the kind of game I enjoy. Some of the platforming is a bit finicky for middling rewards but it isn't too bad.

Not sure why they went with the fallout style world map, but it ends up working I guess

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Getting towards the end of bloodstained now I think. It's fun, but consumables are really expensive to buy, and drop rates for cooking ingredients seem pretty darn low.

Also it does the annoying thing where if I need two doodads and a knick knack to make a doohickey, and one doohickey and a widget to make a doodget, it won't let me go straight to making the doodget if I've got the doodads, the knick knacks and the widget. I have to explicitly make a doohickey first :mad:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weirdly enough one of the endgame bosses in iconoclasts bugs my game. I beat the boss and it cuts to another character, but the screen is black. I can hear the movement and run around but there's no way to tell what's going on and any (presumed) screen transitions don't work

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think I'm bad at video games but drat was blasphemous ever worth struggling through. Such a cool aesthetic.

Same as ever though I tapped out right before the final boss because I struggle to finish games for some reason

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The instant respawn in bloodstained I think is designed to help with the grind.

When I wanted (for reasons I don't really know) to get all the shards I found that nearly every enemy had at least 1 spot where they were near a screen change. Only a few had actual frustrating runs to grind.

I don't know why I bothered

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Instantly respawn as in on screen change I'd imagine.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bossy lady posted:

Are there any metroidvanias with combat that feel as good as guacamelee? I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy pretty much every metroidvania I've played, but guacamelee just felt so good to play as someone who enjoys fighting games. Especially when you get the skeleton costume and can just go crazy with special moves.

Sleeping dogs is pretty great for combat. You explore the world opening up new combat moves as you discover certain items and turn them in. The exploration is maybe not as good as most metroidvanias as the world opens up pretty quickly and you don't get many new traversal options

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Haak was pretty fun. Don't know if it fits in with the thread though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Something I don't like in a lot of metroidvania games is that there's no indication you're next to a save room. I like it when the games put a little marker up when you're 1 room away. Picking the wrong door in a room of 6 then getting sent back because of dying sucks when another door would've been a heal and save.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"The president has been kidnapped by ninjas.
Are you a bad enough du-"

"God, so much story, these cutscenes never end. GET TO THE GAMEPLAY!"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Haak was a lot of fun

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yep. But then folks would be defensive and say “well you didn’t really play the game.”

Also some of it just me trying to ensure I’m not being needlessly contrarian. When I have an issue with a game that I don’t see people mention, I question if it’s just something that I’m not clicking with. Example would be I haven’t seen a single complaint about the sound design of Grime so I keep checking if it just my local copy or that the sounds might improve drastically in the second half of the game that folks forgot about it.

So I’ll continue on today.

lol

This too. Not a fan of the “git gud” culture when one has an issue with a game so you feel you have to prove its not a skill issue but an issue with the game itself.

"I played (game name). It didn't grab me."

There, it's not needlessly contrarion.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Serephina posted:

Oh Jesus Christ the penultimate (?) boss of Blasphemous 2 has an intro speech, which he repeats on retries, and has another upon entering his second form.

It's unskippable.

Yeah it sucks rear end. Especially as the second half felt way harder/faster than any of the other bosses up to that point

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The layout reminds me of dead cells

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

My completely naive guess is that there are two big obstacles: First, that level design with movement upgrades that fit together as well as in Super Metroid is just genuinely difficult -- not only to implement but even to conceptualize. It's a minor miracle that Super Metroid is as good as it is, and its not surprising that even its own sequels don't measure up to it.

Secondly, that a fresh player going into Super Metroid that follows the intended "new player" path is likely to beat the game in under 6-8 hours, even if they get lost once or twice. Few people making indie platformers want their game to be completable that quickly, not just because every indie wants their masterpiece to be colossal but because it's thought that the market incentivizes longer games. (Correctly or not.)

Maybe I should try super metroid

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I bounced off salt and sanctuary, it felt like it controlled strangely to me. Blasphemous 1 ruled though. Blasphemous 2 was decent

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

Haak DLC date (free update):

Haak is very good

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blasphemous 2 doesn't have instant death spikes which is nice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I wanted the kicking boots to be good in sotn but don't think I ever really worked my way into a busted combo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

how do you get the meteor strike working in lone fungus? Iive got the spin jump, but when i start a spin and hold rt nothing happens

oh, apparently i had to go into the abilities menu and actually equip it? weird because i don't think i had to do that with any other abilities

Okay there are a LOT of bosses in this game and it feels like about 15 different pieces of movement tech. I still haven't found the wall bounce that it keeps talking about

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 15, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Healing coming entirely from consumables, at least early on, is where it lost me. Once I realised that I checked out pretty hard

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

nrook posted:

I mean even actual, literal dark souls isn't really about difficulty. The game is hard, but the difficulty is in service to the vibes, not the other way around. It's not like there's anything like Hollow Knight's postgame boss arena in any Souls game I'm aware of.

This is a pretty good way of putting it. There were frustrating areas but the vibes and exploring the world was super good. I never ever felt bad about cheesing difficult areas because it meant more exploration.

Weirdly by ds3 I was burnt out on the boss fights because pretty much every boss had a "heat up" second phase.

I lost my mind laughing when the second gargoyle showed up and owned me in ds1. By ds3 the novelty of grinding through a first phase to get owned in the second had worn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Islets was really good