Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
not many metroidvania games grab me, i played the hell out of rogue legacy 2 (i tried so hard to like rogue legacy but always bounced off it). i also dug steamworld dig 2 and of course the early metroid and castlevania games themselves. i'm currently digging dysmantle https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

it's a top down game where you collect material to craft upgrades to open new areas to collect different material to craft different upgrades to open new areas and on and on.
combat is weak hit/strong hit with a couple of gadgets to help you fight the zombies. zombies follow left 4 dead rules. mostly normals, a couple strong types.
there's not much grind in gathering materials but there is some and the biggest pain is just walking from place to place
it has a satisfying challenge that continually rises as you follow the plot and a few neat twists.
you continually beat forward, craft upgrades, and then double back to gather the new materials with your upgrades. opening up new pathways as you advance. it's very satisfying to finally open up a path and finally cutting your travel time by minutes. finally. or getting all the way out to a tower only for it to be broken and now you can't double back but if you die you lose your backpack and you have valuables and the zombies will respawn if you make camp. i was overconfident a minute ago and now i'm dodge rolling and hiding. something few games can do well.

i don't know, i haven't been grabbed by a game like this in a bit and it might not be on your radar because it's being describes as "survival" because it has that aesthetic. i know i thought it was.
but the map even has a grid, and i know what it's like to finally get the ball bomb upgrade or the blood drinker upgrade or the whip that destroys walls and gain access to new areas where you look for the double jump to get to new areas. it's very much that but top down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU