Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I played almost the entirety of Islets on my Deck while flying from Europe to the US a few weeks ago. I had played a little of the demo earlier in the year, and hadn't loved it. But, I was looking for a game to play on the flight, so I decided to give it a go.

It ended up being quite an enjoyable little game. Its biggest strength is its movement, which is good because that's one of the things I care most about. It's fast, smooth, and feels good. I also like the colorful world and surprisingly funny characters.

I could nitpick a handful of things that could have been better, but there was only one thing that I thought was outright bad -- the boss fights. The boss fights are all bullet hell garbage that are incongruous with the rest of the game. That said, I don't personally like bullet hell in any context.

PS: Thanks for making this thread! I've been sad it didn't exist for a while now.

moosferatu fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

FZeroRacer posted:

play A Robot Named Fight

thats my entire contribution thank you

I had heard some mixed things about that game, but I just looked it up on steam again. It looks like the dev has been consistently updating the game for the past 3 years, including a big update as recent as this month. Also, the player with the top steam review appears to have logged over 1,000 hours!

I will definitely check it out soon.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I've played a couple of runs of A Robot Named Fight now and am liking it. I'm definitely not good enough to beat it first go, like someone in one of the steam reviews was complaining about.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I got to the final boss in A Robot Named Fight last night, but failed to beat it. I've played for around 7 hours total so far. The dev did a really great job with the procedural generation, and there's a lot of weapon/item variety. Successful runs are only around 2 hours long, so there's a fun power spike. I definitely recommend giving it a shot, and I will certainly continue to play it off and on.

A few criticisms, the movement items are mostly worthless and only used to clear a gate here or there. One category of upgrade are these robotic orbs that hover around you and do various things. I find them annoying and make it a little harder to see what's going on on the screen. There is one particular type of screen that has ended multiple of my runs. You have to quickly jump on crumbling platforms with spikes above you and spikes and a floor monster below you. If you fall, it is incredibly easy to get stun locked to death in a matter of seconds. Final complaint, I don't like the name of the game, but other than that it's great.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
What is the consensus on the Castlevania collections on steam?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I also picked up Axiom Verge 2 in the sale. I could not get into the first game, and don't think I played it for more than an hour. However, 2 was immediately more interesting to me. It's also a much more attractive game, though still suffers from some lack of visual clarity, as Nostalgamus noted earlier.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I don't think I played more than an hour of AV1 before deciding it wasn't for me, but I played and completed AV2 last month.

The first few hours of AV2 I really enjoyed, but somewhere around the halfway mark my enjoyment of the game began to decline. I like the game's exploration focus, and I think it's got a great map with fun secrets. The basic movement feels good. I think my problem with the game is that it never develops into anything. The skill upgrades are pointless. The movement upgrades don't change much of the feel (at this point, a month later, I'm struggling to remember any of them apart from the drone's). There are only a couple of weapons, and they are all uninteresting. The combat only gets worse -- you can skip the bosses, but why would you when you can trivially kill all of them by exploding repeatedly? To me, perhaps worst of all, the story goes absolutely no where. No, I didn't collect every last tablet, but I got the majority of them, and looking around online later it doesn't seem like I missed any major plot points.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

ExcessBLarg! posted:

AV2 is basically the origin story for Ophelia and the Rusalki, while also expanding on the fate of Dr. Hammond (Trace's lab colleague) . If AV is intended to be a trilogy, then AV2 does do a bit of plot setup that would presumably be a jumping-off point for AV3. Although, if you didn't like AV1 or follow its lore much, then the above is probably too subtle to be of much interest.

Ah, that would explain it. Like I said, I didn't play much of the first. I had read that that wasn't necessary to play the second, but it seems like it might be to get anything out of the story at all.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Cucumbers posted:

The biggest issue for me, in regards to the precision platforming segments, is how zoomed in the screen is. Not only do you have to press buttons super fast in sequence. You also have to memorize what's coming up, because your screen size is so small that you won't have more than a couple of milliseconds to react to the next bounce object or whatever.

This is so true. I'm not that far yet, but am far enough that the challenges are starting to get harder and I have multiple different dash buttons. I like that the game is so considerate of your time to warp you right back to the beginning, but I think the inelegant controls and small field of view are going to pretty much guarantee that I end up skipping a lot of them.

I just finished the factory area, and thought it was weirdly designed. There are a bunch of challenges setup to use the balls you trigger by pressure plate, but the most straightforward path takes you right to the boss that gives you the thing you need make all of those challenges irrelevant. Then, later in the same region you fight the easiest boss I've yet encountered (there's an obvious spot that you can pogo them indefinitely without taking damage) to get another ability that makes it so you can just open the blue doors without having to faff around at all.

All in all, it's a good effort, but it does make me appreciate just how unbelievably good Hollow Knight is all the more.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Fuzz posted:

Both Ori games.

...had cringy stories

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I agree with Penguin Patrol. I enjoyed those objectively bad design choices. They increased my immersion in the world. If the world hadn't been so well constructed and if every screen was a nondescript corridor that looked just like the rest, then the map thing would have been irritating.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Serephina posted:

Oh Jesus Christ the penultimate (?) boss of Blasphemous 2 has an intro speech, which he repeats on retries, and has another upon entering his second form.

It's unskippable.

My initial read of this was that Jesus Christ was the penultimate boss

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

No Dignity posted:

I've always wanted to play Environment Station Alpha though, I actually have the game but I've never been able to get it working with a controller. Even loading it onto Steam Deck it just doesn't work?

ESA is playable on the Deck with minor fiddling.

https://www.protondb.com/app/350070

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Sounds great. How long is it epic exclusive? A year?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

cant cook creole bream posted:

Technically, it's not epic exclusive if they also sell it on their personal app, right?
It's just barred from steam and I guess other minor sellers during this interval.

Does anyone use uplay though?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Heath posted:

I think a lot of the hype is from it being the first game from Dunkey's publishing house, Bigmode. A lot of the early Steam reviews were like 0.1 hours on record, positive review, "Dunkey's gonna beat me up if I don't rate this game positively" etc. not to say it doesn't deserve hype, but these things always have a bit of that stink about them

Seems like I must be the only one who'd never heard of this Dunkey guy before. Certainly makes me less interested

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I have no opinion on the matter, but this bit from his Wikipedia page is at least odd:

quote:

In November 2022, Gastrow uploaded a video criticizing Sonic Frontiers, which resulted in the game being review bombed on Metacritic. Gastrow stated he did not intend for the video to spark review bombing and accused Sonic fans of leaving negative reviews to make his fans look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Koburn posted:

yeah looks like it

Huh. Who are these "sonic fans"? The internet makes little sense.

Anyway, I'm sure Animal Well is great and know it ultimately has nothing to do with a youtuber