Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

icantfindaname posted:

I’m playing Wario Land games now, 3 is very metroidvania-y

It really is; what an underrated gem. I replay it every few years and can still hear the boss music (and the cheers from the soccer boss).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Falcon2001 posted:

If y'all share my love of Zelda 2 I definitely recommend checking out the romhack Amidas Curse. It's really good and feels like a sequel we never got.

Have you played Panoply of Calatia? It's the NES Zelda 3 we never got, complete with items from later in the series that I never thought would work in 2D.

More directly on-topic, I agree with the sentiment above that some more exploration-y Metroidvanias are solely lacking. I bounced hard off Aeterna Noctis because of the difficulty.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is pretty good until you get clairvoyance , which is mapped to R3. Like it's useful to be able to use clairvoyance while jumping and using R3 for that is not helpful!

Luckily you can rebind the controls, even on Switch. I bound that power to A or maybe R and it was immediately so much nicer. I put dimensional claw on R3 and that worked pretty well since you're generally not using it in platforming contexts.