Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The recent Mummy Returns tie in game is surprisingly not poo poo and quite good. Very short, can be beaten in under 6 hours, but it's a fun ride and the respawn system is clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I hated Hollow Knight solely for making the gravest of gaming errors, having a plethora of trap options.

By the end of the game there's only one actual way to play, Dodge everything and try not to get hit because you will never have enough time to heal mid fight. Despite this, there's a variety of heal and other equipment that doesn't actually improve that specific gameplay loop and in many cases actively wants you to NOT do that, and if you take them you'll continuously lose until you either change how you play or give up.

For all the stellar design otherwise, that's dumb as gently caress, and one of the gravest of game design mistakes. It's like the opposite of Hades.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maybe it's just that I only played HK at launch and never touched any of the DLC, got burned out on it after I beat it.

Back on topic and in sorta a related but opposite vein of the Ghost Story review above, Valdis Story was one I enjoyed. Has a lot of different characters you can unlock and most of them actually play pretty differently and each one sorta favors a specific style of play. The storyline is alright though it has that classic indie vibe of "we wrote more stuff in to explain this one character but it was never implemented" but the whole setup of the different characters sorta concurrently running through the same world and having different bosses to fight in certain areas with their own unique side story that adds to each run is sorta cool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Honestly it's wild you don't think it's a Soulslike, from the moment I picked it up it just screamed to me the devs though 'what if Dark Souls was a Metroid?'

Dark Souls already is a Metroidvania.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Playing Ragnarok and yeah, it and the first one are two of the best Metroidvanias in 3D of the last decade. Basically since the first Arkham Asylum and the Prime games. His all the right notes, though Ragnarok has a lot more very long linear setpieces, but then you can always go back to explore them later and there's blatant "you don't have the ability to access this secret/area yet" cues.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nostalgamus posted:

Picked up Axiom Verge 2 in the latest Steam sale. Feels more open that the first so far, and I like the less alien atmosphere.

However, I'm kinda stumped on where to go at the moment. I've just talked to the big Babylonian statue, where the dialog implied there's a new ability in the area behind it, but I can't figure out any way to progress in there - both the upper and lower paths on the right end in areas I can only access with the drone, and there's nothing the drone can do in either of them.

Should I be going somewhere else? If I'm going towards the marker on the map it's either through there or a passage at the bottom of the water area I've somehow missed, and nothing more in the water area seems to be accessible with my current abilities.

Have you tried inserting yourself into the game, breaking the laws of physics, and becoming rich and famous?

Worked for the main dev. HTH.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That's the plot of the first one. It's self insert fan fiction about him being a COOL AND FAMOUS SCIENTIST that then becomes badass savior Jesus for an alien race.

It's super lame and aggressive about it with really lovely monologue first person storytelling.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Velius posted:

You seem bizarrely angry about the guy. And that’s not remotely the plot of the first game. I don’t know anything about his politics, but in addition to having his son born with severe issues due to complications during pregnancy his partner just had a heart attack and open heart surgery presumably in her thirties or early forties. I don’t see much in the way of bad behavior deserving of such scorn.

I know nothing about the guy, it's just a goofy and poorly written game with the main protagonist literally being a pixelated edgelord version of himself.

You're allowed to mock and comment on someone's work without it being a personal attack on their character or personal life or even politics. Not sure where the politics even came into the discussion.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AV1 also had the loving obnoxious thing of raining the secret areas when you start a new game and they're not even specific locations that could eventually be mapped, it's just random loving was in room X that if you happen to do the dash thing through you will find a glitched or area with yet another randomly generated gun that more than likely sucks compared to the crazy wave beam that clears entire rooms. The secret detector was also bullshit in that it mildly changes the hue of your health bar from like, green to slightly lighter green or something asinine like that.

All that along with the linear world design and the lazy, "here's a big hallway to link all the areas together," had me beat it the one time and then never touch it again.

Is AV2 the same sorta thing with the first bit?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

No, not at all. Outside of the drone being a major part of your character's kit and some similar visual flair, the two games are wildly different.

Nice, will check it out then. The first one had a banging soundtrack.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm playing FIST and it's great, but man the performance is all over the place if you turn RTX on, even on my 3080. Somehow I can run CP 2077 at launch at 90fps but FIST crawls in the 60s with regular frame drops. :wtc:

I assume they're not patching anymore if it was already a freebie on EGS, so oh well, will have to turn things down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Holy poo poo the new remaster of Metroid Prime is ridiculously good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

In Dark Souls II eventually enemies stop spawning if you kill them enough (like 10 - 15 times) and you have to use an item to bring them back at a bonfire which bumps them up to the next difficulty level. But that's more explicitly a "make it easier to ram your head into the boss" mechanic than anything.

It's also a "lol gently caress your farming" mechanic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

I'm replaying Super Metroid and I've concluded that the best part of this game is the platforming/physics/kaizo mario aspect of it. The movement upgrades unlock new areas but most can be substituted with nightmare level walljumping. Are there any games that come close to replicating that? I haven't played that many indie metroidvanias, my sense is they mostly are of the igavania lineage and/or go for metroid tone and vibes rather than the physics per se like axiom verge

Metroid Dread, fittingly enough.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Char posted:

Yeah with some airspace I understand how it works. Still weird and I don't like how doing anything else than jumping puts me out of spin state, but, well, whatever.

Keep going. You get something in Lower Norfair which will make it so you never need to do anything else while spin jumping! :getin:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Finally started Guacamelee and holy poo poo, this game rules.

I also finished The Messenger over the weekend, though the DLC is kicking my rear end on the race with your shadow. Had to put it down for a bit.

Soundtracks for both games are ridiculously good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BurningBeard posted:

Yo goons. I’m looking for a new game to play that I don’t have to overthink and metroidvanias are probably my best bet while still being deep enough to play around with. So in the interest of that what would you guys recommend say from the last five-seven years?

I do have some on hand that I haven’t gotten around to and I have played a good number of the foundation games. Super Metroid is a stone cold classic. SoTN likewise, Bloodstained hasn’t really grabbed me but I like all the options it gives you, and I’m not in the mood to have my head bashed in by something extremely execution heavy like Hollow Knight. I haven’t really messed around with Steamworld Dig 2, but it seems pretty cool.

the second Ori I started and like, but don’t know if I’ll stick with it right now. It’s good but just fiddly enough that I keep losing my patience.

So what I would actually want is something more focused on exploration and problem solving rather than combat. I’m game for a good combat system but the feel has to be right, and that’s really subjective.

I’m struggling to articulate exactly what I’m after here. Heavy exploration emphasis, smooth/fluid controls are probably my most important wants. Xbox series/Switch/PS4, though I’m sure anything you guys would recommend would be on any of them.

I’m also open to a more combat oriented game, I just want to make sure I like the feel of the controls. When I say smooth and fluid, something like Hades or Celeste are two huge touchpoints for me in terms of their controls being incredible and responsive.

Stylistically I like fantasy more than sci-fi, but if there’s a good creepy abandoned ship or space station I’m into it. Games with top knotch sound design will get extra consideration from me. Too bad I hated how Ghost Song felt, fwiw, because the sound design in that was incredible.

Two execution-heavy games I am looking at are Hyperlight Drifter and Unsighted, just because of how they look. So thoughts on those would be nice too.

Guacamelee or The Messenger.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The first one is the only game I've ever refunded from Steam. I have played every Souls game but that game was just asinine the way it shortened your health bar with every death and then you had to find a limited number of shrine statues and a rare material to restore your health bar. It's like on top of dying, hey let's kick you in the balls and make it even harder because now you've got less health, gently caress you. :jerkbag:

Very much felt like some fan modder effort of "let's make this extra hardcore!" And it was just lovely and overly difficult for the sake of spiting the audience.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Will of the Wisps is all around a better game, thankfully. But both are great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jedi Survivor is a really drat good Metroidvania.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bawk posted:

I thought the story was pretty good, and the ending was pretty :krad:, looking forward to the next game they put together that follows along on this particular story path.

I thought the EMMIs were kind of funny in how they were implemented. You start out learning the basics with them, then you get a couple back-to-back with slightly varying abilities, then the game decides "these aren't really that fun, let's just turn those off" and lets them sit for a while so you can go explore a ton. Then it turns them back on, making the next one the absolute worst out of all of them, then the next one wasn't nearly as bad since I had all these different kinds of abilities I had picked up from exploring, and the last one they must have decided they weren't fun again and just loving 86ed it for story purposes lmao

I think the final boss fight was honestly the best I've fought in a while, It started off seeming way, way too tough right up until I realized that you could parry the melee move for some huge damage.

At this point, my only lasting complaint besides the EMMI stuff will be the fact that I got to fight Kraid, but no Ridley! What a tease!

It was to balance the sister game, Samus Returns, where you fight Ridley at the end. I really wish they'd remaster that and just toss it on the Switch already.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, a big part of the original was just that creepy foreboding and growing terror as you continue through it, but at the same time the system limitations were such dogshit it's not worth it. In that regard AM2R gets way closer to feeling that, "alone in an extremely hostile environment," vibe than Samus Returns did. The melee counter just really made things far less scary because part of the point of old school Metroids is that when stuff gets up in your grill or bumrushes you with a dive you have no real defense and it's terrifying because they'll gently caress you up if you don't dodge. The melee counter obviates that entire vibe because now you're waiting for those attacks to counter and then leave the enemy wide open for you to gently caress them up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bawk posted:

I've got a week off work next week, is there another title that's this long for content?

Dunno if it's as long, but Yoku's Island Express is awesome and a ton of fun and has a great amount of content.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Guacamelee is on sale in the Steam Sale and is an awesome Metroidvania for anyone that cares.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Could you name a metroidvania with a good story, just so people know what the scale looks like?

Both Ori games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Metroidvanias don't seem to take nearly enough Metroid into account.

You'll get a million SOTN-likes, with the basic rear end movement abilities and melee attacks. You'll get tons and tons of straight hallways with random enemies, and maybe some minor platforms or something in the way. You'll find a bunch of baubles and crap to make your stats higher.

You almost never get to start one of these games with a peashooter and end up a whirling dervish of destruction, blazing through obstacles and finding interesting hidden tunnels with your power ups. Morph Ball and Speed Booster puzzles are fun, puzzle rooms in general are fun, and being able to shortcut through puzzle rooms later when you get utterly broken items is even more fun. I don't know how devs keep ignoring this stuff, and insist on making games that have less mechanical and platforming depth than Circle of the loving Moon.

The Mummy Remastered is honestly one of the best games in that regard. For a movie tie in it has no right being as good as it is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Sleeping dogs is pretty great for combat. You explore the world opening up new combat moves as you discover certain items and turn them in. The exploration is maybe not as good as most metroidvanias as the world opens up pretty quickly and you don't get many new traversal options

The first Darksiders is a better Metroidvania. :downsgun:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The only objectively bad design is mandatory knock back on hit which you can't recover from in any way coupled with instant death pits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

welcome posted:

I believe the OP is complaining about the same thing about HK's map system (having to activate the automap for each area) that everybody who complains about it, complains about.

"No no, see when HK does it it's okay because I like that game."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I missed the secret ending because I didn’t use a walkthrough until a bit too late. Worse is you can still do everything else and not realize it’s too late.

The game is a lot of fun to play but I fully agree with you that it hides content behind cryptic nonsense like Castlevania 2.

It is hilarious to me that people rate the game highly and yet one of literally the most important design aspects of a Metroidvania... it falls flat on.

This is bad design at the core, being an apologist for it undermines all of the games where this is done well. It's literally part of the core gameplay loop of a Metroidvania style game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd say the inability to get the best ending without a guide is a core part of the genre :v:

At least you can just reload your save and do what you need, Minoria was extremely annoying because once you got one ending that was it, the only way to get the others was to start all over again.

The fact that most of the abilities aren't used or just thrown in at the end without any rhyme or reason to how and when you get them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tempted by both Teslagrads and Rain World...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I actually wore down on Aeterna Noctis.

The map is ridiculously massive and spread all over (bad design imo, very little interconnectivity). The bosses are often just walls of bullshit compared to the areas preceding them where it's often less about skill in dodging and more about "hey will I get lucky and there will actually be gaps in all the bullshit this guy throws at me." It's almost like it's designed around you heavily using that skill which puts up the shield really briefly but it will recharge faster, except by default they made L3 your defensive move, which is just an egregious "get hosed." The upgrade tree is ridiculously incremental except for a handful of levels which actively add something, and the exp rate is glacial as hell... it just feels obnoxious.

Had to dive into an NG++ run of Sekiro on my Deck as a palette cleanse. What a shame, the art, music, and just overall style of it is great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Hollow Knight could barely justify its scale and that was the best implementation of the oversized metroidvania premise, I think all of these games would be better off if they could set themselves a limit of like twenty hours tops. Also, Silksong would probably actually exist

Yeah, HK's design is just light years ahead of AN and the actual map is well designed and evocative of OG Dark Souls 1 with how everything links back to each other.

AN has a weird 2D version of Dark Souls 2 design but imagine over 50% of it is super punishing platforming that's way harder than any of the actual combat against boring filler enemies, and then you'll face bosses who start out totally fine but then by the mid to late game you're facing evil genie apparitions who poo poo out missiles in fast horizontal waves with varying vertical gaps that you need to PERFECTLY dodge through to hit the guy during his insanely brief vulnerability window, and oh yeah the floor AND the ceiling are on fire the entire time with no place for you to even stand and thus recharge health.

All you have is a double jump and a non-iframe air dash, plus an extremely cumbersome thrown teleport crystal whose graphic blends into all the poo poo on screen already and it uses two different buttons to actually use (one of which requires you take your thumb off the jump and attack buttons) and also has extremely tight timing unless you eat a limited upgrade slot to slot a gem that gives you an extra half a second to use it.

The icing on all of this is you need to use the really janky wall grab between phases, which has you slide down it inordinately quickly AND the only non- channeled healing item you have, these 3 healing potions which work instantly, are random drops which almost never drop during boss fights and out in the world it often will be 10+ minutes before an enemy decides to randomly spit one out. You can also buy them but there's never a store near a boss door, and the nearest teleport to get to a store is through a bunch of bullshit and most likely a platforming section involving you wall hanging and air dashing through narrow gaps of instant kill spikes that will kick you way back to the start of the platforming section with less health.

All of this and when you beat a boss it's totally up in the air on whether you'll actually get a meaningful new ability (most of the time you won't), get some special currency which gatekeeps your mod slots, or just literally nothing other than "hey you have extra lights on the lock to the main story."

It just consistently feels like the devs were up their own asses with the story and world design, and they actively hate the player. And this is on the normal difficulty, which I had to turn it down to because the hard difficulty was even more asinine.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 17, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bawk posted:

FWIW Aeterna Noctis feels like a game that was designed with a triple jump and they changed it for the arrows somewhere along the line, but the platforming difficulty flattens a bit more with the triple jump gem equipped that was patched in later. I don't think I would ever play without it.

I remember a couple of really tough bosses that absolutely pissed me off, but they were refights I would skip. The two robot bosses got me my first red gem, which was completely useless for how I was playing the game

A lot of the gems are utterly worthless.

So much of the game is just "here's a half baked idea!" And it shows up in one place or as a random gem without any balance vs the others.

The best is that you can equip the half cooldown shield, the parry with fast Regen shield unless you whiff, and the auto shield with long cooldown gems all at the same time. Literally none of them stack with each other and they variably override each other depending on the situation. The game does nothing to tell you this or warn you against this, nor is it consistent on when which gem will be the active effect. Like you can straight up parry correctly and inexplicably have a long cooldown because the game just decided that it's the 50% cooldown not the rapid one.

It's a real shame, because the setting, art, and MUSIC in particular are all top notch and really cool, so you WANT to like the game but the actual gameplay is so bad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Swilo posted:

If you specifically want games like Metroid instead of Castlevania (sci-fi run-and-gun vs. gothic melee combat) which are already out and playable: Axiom Verge, B.I.O.T.A., Environmental Station Alpha, Escape from Tethys, Gato Roboto, MindSeize, Moonlaw, The Mummy Demastered, Out There Somewhere, Outbuddies, Psycron, A Robot Named Fight, Xeodrifter

Quality varies greatly but they do exist.

Okay but which of these don't suck.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Vookatos posted:

People have been mentioning how most metroidvanias are inspired by igavanias more than Metroid in the thread recently, but are there actually any good games like that?

To me, what separates Castlevania's Metroidy entries are just absurd amount of stuff hidden everywhere. Every enemy has 1-2 drops that might be unique items with weird gimmicks, and enemy abilities from Sorrow games are a blast. I've never seen an indie 'Vania replicate this aspect. I've recently beaten some Igavanias by only pumping up my Luck stat and that was super fun. Well, until I learned that it does nothing in Harmony of Dissonance and both Sorrow games... But before that it was fun to go through the castle and even grind a bit to see what kind of soul or weird item I'll get from every enemy. The only game I can think of that replicates it is Iga's own Bloodstained.

It feels more like most indie Metroidvanias chase after Castlevania aesthetics but with uninspired Metroid collectibles and power-ups. I really hope that series actually breaks the norm from "here's a morph ball, here's a wave beam, every optional goodie is 5 missiles", because that sucks.

Yeah, they have traded this aesthetic for Souls gameplay whole hog. The sad part is the one game that was first and most blatant to do it, Salt and Sanctuary, is probably still overall the best one, even compared to its own sequel, apparently.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JSmithOTI posted:

Blasphemous was a bit too heavy for me. The art was rad, but the setting was oppressive and the gameplay didn't keep me coming back. I'm sure it's a fine game for folks who want to wade in that pool, but it was a refund for me.

Kawabata posted:

I stopped playing Blasphemous because the "good amount of running around" you describe is actually almost half your game time as soon as you get stuck and don't know how to progress, which can happen because the game is very poor at directing you anywhere.
I agree with you that they nailed combat and exploration though. I like the extreme/cringy gothicness of it too. It's just so badly designed map wise.

Both of these posts, right here.

Still the only game I've ever refunded on Steam, since I paid full price at release.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Serephina posted:

It's curious that people are citing the walk-around-a-lot as a flaw in a MV, to me that's once of the most crucial parts of the games. Like, I spent a lot of time wandering around Super Metroid unspoilered, I like how it reinforces your familiarity with areas and so when something clicks you immediately know where to go experiment with it.

So for Blasphemous 2, I actually felt it was too streamlined. Like I knew what I was supposed to be doing in every area (get to the boss), the path was mostly linear with any revisitation being by my own choice when hunting cherubs in the post-game. I actually felt there was too many fast travel options in patched B1 and B2! I had missed a few obvious things as I never walked past a few rooms a second time ever, oops.

------

On a slightly different topic, people cite Dark Souls influences everywhere, so I just played the first two games a few months ago and I gotta say I'm actually delighted to see the bloodstain mechanic and walk-back-to-the-boss runs trickle across all genres. It's like when bottomless pits started being non-fatal however many decades ago; it's just a straight up improvement that I'm glad to see widely adopted.

Those are contingent on

1- Cool shortcuts which actually reward your exploration and ingenuity by allowing you to backtrack faster by finding faster alternate routes. This requires excellent level design and hiding the secrets in such a way people will stumble on them with logical experimentation instead of mashing their face into every wall and trying every weapon/traversal technique until something happens (aka Axiom Verge 1). Examples of this in SM are the secret passage back to Brinstar once you find Super Missiles (it's not mandatory and you can actually miss it) and the glass corridor power bomb into Maridia. It also helps when the connections are novel and interesting, vs just some big long hallway with a train system that just takes you to every area since they connect in a line.

2- Having new traversal mechanics to actually get around faster, with the game designed around them and them being part of your kit such that once you get them your mind instantly goes back to, "aha, I can use this to get up to that area here, here, there, and there," which rewards the observant player who explored previously and saw the potential paths. Blasphemous 1's new traversal stuff does let you get to new places, but it's often in obtuse places or it just wasn't clear the first time through that area that that's a place you can get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KNR posted:

Super, mostly. Every boss was a spammy, flickering mess dps race I still beat the first try because the game is balanced to be very easy unless you're going for low %. I played it for the first time in mid-2000s and the bosses felt extremely unimpressive then, unlike the map design and mobility.

Which version of Super were you playing, because that's literally only one boss (Ridley) and the rest have pretty nuanced strategies to them for a game made in 1992.