Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0x2JanYeA

Man, this showed up in my feed and all I can think of is "....is that Bloodstained?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gerrund_ing posted:

Outside of a few weirdos on steam, I don't think so. The game had more than enough extra DLC and has more content than like any other Igavania as it is. I really hope that they've at least got people working on concept art and stuff...so that way once these MP modes that like only 10 people will play gets released, they'll at least have some of a start on the second game.

Honestly I wish they had a mode kind of like Harmony of Despair instead of MP...that game had such a cool idea. Like that game just needed a way more robust loot/farming/crafting system and more stages and I think it could have done well.

I have to assume it's at least slightly a legal issue. I know Kickstarter doesn't guarantee rewards but it does seem like there's some contract they have to meet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

fatsleepycat posted:

Have you played Panoply of Calatia? It's the NES Zelda 3 we never got, complete with items from later in the series that I never thought would work in 2D.

More directly on-topic, I agree with the sentiment above that some more exploration-y Metroidvanias are solely lacking. I bounced hard off Aeterna Noctis because of the difficulty.

I always thought of Crystalis as "Zelda, but in the far far future". Man that game was so good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Holy crap! Someone else played Crystalis? I've never heard anyone talk about it before.

Also, I never thought of it that way, but yeah, it pretty much was a Zelda game.

It's one of my favorite games of all time, at least for the NES. It was surprisingly complex and heartfelt!

The part where (should I spoil a 40 year old game?) you use a pendant to look like someone who died, then go and talk to his pet rabbit is fuckin heartbreaking for an 8 bit game and still lives in my head rent free.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

$10 for "Awesome Games Done Quick" bundle

Couple Metroidvanias

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah if you like the variety of Shards in Bloodstained I highly recommend Aria of Sorrow on the GBA collection, it's definitely the daddy of Bloodstained.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

beer gas canister posted:

Legends was spooky and weird in a very special way. I'd love a remaster or something but it'll probably never happen

Just FYI to everyone that Humble Bundle currently has a Mega Man Bundle. I'm not sure if it includes Legends but it includes a ton of other Mega Man games for $20.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Nice! I liked Ender Lilies a lot. This is a Switch trailer though, I hope for PC as well.

How difficult is it? I have been looking for a casual Steam Deck Metroidvania, I started Blashphemous and while I like it I'm not a big fan of Souls like Metroidvanias. I love Bloodstained so something around that level of challenge is what I'm looking for.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

galagazombie posted:

To me, Ender Lillies was one of those games with a brutal start because your lack of options limits you to one “playstyle” that rapidly gets much easier as you start unlocking all the alternate move sets that let you play how you want to.

Sounds a lot like Bloodstained where the hardest boss is the first one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For me a big part of Metroidvanias and 3rd person adventure games like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn is just the exploration and puzzle solving. I'm less enthused about challenging combat, so the Souls format of "beat your head against the wall against the same boss repeatedly" just isn't fun for me anymore.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1764713665427890586?s=20

Any standouts?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I got into Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth over the weekend and I'm vibing with it, seems pretty quick and not too hard with nice SOTN esque graphics. Does anyone who's played it know if the weapons have hidden abilities like in SOTN or Aria of Sorrow? The weapons have attack/delay like normal, but wondering if that's all I have to look at or if some have special abilities like Down to Forward Attack = Fireball.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/AxiomVerge/status/1788267765226467563

Unlock abilities, progress, repeat
Rejoice in the thrills of exploration and discovery with this bundle of Metroidvania games, featuring some of the genre's most exceptional recent entries. In the critically acclaimed 9 Years of Shadows, you'll explore a stunning, handcrafted world that’s been drained of all color while wielding amazing powers and taking in a star-studded soundtrack. Lose yourself in the sprawling alien world of Axiom Verge 2, the boundary-pushing sequel to the fan-favorite sci-fi game (that’s also included in this bundle!). Experience the genre at its most subversive in Cookie Cutter, full of dark humor, brutal combat, and some of the finest hand-drawn art the genre has ever seen. Get all these games and more—7 in total—and help support the Global Foodbanking Network with your purchase.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I play video games to escape reality, not play as myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Was it here someone was recommending Aeterna Noctis? I just noticed it's available from Fanatical as part of a bundle where you pick two games for $5.99 total