Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghost Song is good, but it's not great. It's merely good.

I think things that could have made it great:
- More fast travel options. In addition to having more statue locations, the fact that there's no "return to statue" item like you'd see in a Souls game is weird, given the game's half-Souls DNA. Even just converting some of the save-only rooms to statue rooms would've helped. If you're dealing with a boss and fighting them repeatedly, you're between a rock and a hard place because it takes a long time to go back from a save-only room to a statue room to repair your max HP.
- I agree with bumping into enemies being the biggest damage tank. In particular, the giant boss with the skull weapon, and Henriette's spear charge, can do massive damage just from you being caught in their path, compared to any of their other attacks. This seems like something that could be tweaked in terms of the damage values, making their projectile, charge and slam attacks more deadly and simply bumping into them a smaller penalty.
- NPCs moving from day to day is a bit awkward because it's not like they're tracked on the map. It does lead to some interesting discoveries, like meeting Relic for the first time and getting the pebble. But if you're trying to get the 'talk to every crewmate on every day' achievement (I didn't care about this personally), I imagine it would be frustrating having to track down wherever Pasha has run off to. So maybe at the very least the crew members of the Gambler should have shown up on the map.
- Bosses are pretty weak overall. In general the bosses just felt like tougher and larger versions of regular enemies. It did not feel like I was in a unique set piece or an interesting encounter. It felt like the same tactics I used on the regular enemies worked for the larger ones. Henriette is the one boss that really felt like a proper capital b Boss, which is not ideal in a game that has around 15+ bosses out in the world.
- Getting the one Heart Of module is weird. There's just this bug door that you can't open no matter what, and then suddenly on Day 3 it's gone because Mutt went through it. Okay? Why would I go back to check that? I would just assume that it's the same as it was on Days 1 & 2 and I just didn't have an item necessary to get it open. Something like that gives the world a lived-in feeling but in a very "tree falling in a forest" way.
- Sprint needed to be faster for the amount of energy it consumes.
- On Xbox One X, load times between rooms are 3-5 seconds rather than instantaneous. Kind of annoying.

other thoughts:
- Gunpower is fine, I think once you get the three different Heart Of modules then if you chose to specialize in any one stat then it's probably going to be pretty powerful no matter what. The revolver secondary weapon is very good at big DMG hits, but it's not ideal for crowd control, so pairing it with decent gunpower is not bad when you're running through areas with a lot of enemies.
- If you get the pebble and you're unclear where to use it, you use it on the top of the right-side mountain within the Crash Site location, rather than continuing to climb up that mountain. You power down, use it, then power back on and then something will happen that I won't spoil.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

On PS5, I haven't seen any crashes or bugs either. Instant loading between rooms, too.
Yeah on a modern SSD it's fine, but on PS4/XBO (including the X) it's a 3-5 second load for each room depending on the size.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since this is a relatively new thread (okay maybe not but I only just noticed it this week!) here's all the metroidvanias I've played:

S-Tier: Metroid franchise, Hero Core, Knytt Stories

A-Tier: IGAvanias including Bloodstained (visual cohesion aside), Alwa's Legacy, Environmental Station Alpha, Monster Boy & the Cursed Kingdom, Ori & the Blind Forest, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Unsighted (i think the time limit adds to the tension imo)

B-Tier: Alwa's Awakening, After Death, Arkham Asylum, Castle in the Darkness, Cathedral, Sydney Hunter (sorta), Dandara, Guacamelee 1 & 2, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, MindSeize, Momodora Reverie, Dragon's Trap remake, The Mummy Demastered, Odallus the Dark Call (sorta), Rabi-Ribi, Touhou Luna Nights, Rex Rocket, Rocketron, Strider 2014 (sorta), Super Panda Adventures, Supraland, Yoku's Island Express, Axiom Verge 2, Dust: An Elysian Tail (despite the bad map), Gato Roboto, Timespinner, Blaster Master Zero series, Kunai, Infernax

C-Tier: Catmaze, Chasm, Chronicles of/Finding Teddy, Elliot Quest, Ghost 1.0 & Mini-Ghost, Headlander, Indivisible, Magicians & Looters, Mystik Belle, Omega Strike, Pharaoh Rebirth+, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Robot Exploration Squad, A Robot Named Fight, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Shantae 5, Spooky Ghosts Dot Com, SuperEpic (a strong C+, I will say), Supraland: Six Inches Under, Treasure Adventure World, Anopek, Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human, Axiom Verge, Bunny Must Die, Escape From Tethys, Aztaka, Xeodrifter

D-Tier: Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, Arkham Blackgate HD, Super/Win the Game, Ghostly Matter, Lootbox Lyfe, Memento Temporis (abandoned), Dark Matter (abandoned), Outbuddies DX, UnEpic, Vomitoreum, Inexistence

Not For Me Personally So I Won't Grade It Negatively To Aggravate Everyone: Valdis Story (really did not like damage cancelling your air movement)

Haven't Played Enough Of Yet: Hollow Knight (yes I know), Itorah, Soul Reaver 1 & 2, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Aquaria, Monster Sanctuary (though I'm not thrilled at the length of battles already), Shadow Complex

Haven't Bought Yet But Will Eventually: Ender Lilies, Astalon, Lone Fungus (when it's finished), Transiruby, FIST, Powerslave Exhumed, Souldiers

Metroidvania-Adjacent Games That I Enjoyed (ie games that get tagged by Steam users but aren't actually MVs): Cave Story, Binky's Trash Service, Creepy Castle (amazing game), Full Bore, Steamworld Dig 1 & 2, Hell Yeah, Knytt Underground, Saira, Owlboy (it gets a bad rap imo), Wuppo, any mazey Doom-like that has keycard doors (ie, uhh Doom), Tomba

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 9, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

9 Years of Shadows got delayed again to 2023 to fix a lot of the issues people had with the Next Fest build.

That means 2022 kinda came and went without a super amazing Metroidvania release, which is a shame. I still need to play Islets and Haiku, but otherwise it's like.. a battle between Infernax, Ghost Song, and what else? Supraland Six Inches Under? I almost typed Aeterna Noctus but that was actually December 2021. I guess there was Souldiers??

2023 though is going to be crazy for Metroidvanias:
Animal Well
The Last Case of Benedict Fox
Rune Fencer Illyia
Minishoot Adventures
Mira & the Legend of the Djinns
Dewdrop Dynasty
9 Years of Shadows
The Last Faith
Rebel Transmute
Exophobia
Rubi: The Wayward Mira
Kingdom Shell
Lone Fungus 1.0
Nine Sols
Curse of the Sea Rats
Rusted Moss
Vernal Edge
BioGun
Biomorph
Last Vanguard

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 11, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I’m playing Souldiers and I’m waiting for the shoe to drop on what makes this game have Mixed reviews, because so far it loving rules

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GOG is giving away Greak: https://www.gog.com/en/game/greak_memories_of_azur

I would say it's Metroidvania-adjacent rather than a Metroidvania proper but I figure it would appeal to people here. It's got a little bit of Lost Vikings character-switching puzzles to go with the action

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

playing Astalon now, and it's.. fine. it's fine so far. i've beaten the first boss. the complaints about the starting over from the first room don't hold up much because you literally spawn right next to an elevator, and i've also gotten a portal fast travel item within the first hour

i wasn't expecting the game to feel so much like a puzzle-less Alwa's Awakening/Legacy though, that similar slower movement and jumping. without the puzzles though it's a bit more, plain? idk. i appreciate that the characters attack quickly but it's just auto and you hold the button. makes it not super exciting. i'll keep at it though.

after this it'll be Ato and Ender Lilies (which i've also heard has bad combat)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh lol Astalon is by the dev of Castle in the Darkness. That would explain the sudden spikes everywhere

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished Astalon. all-in-all it was a solid B-tier MV. the exploration was fun, combat was a little too basic and i didn't love the overreliance on spikes that Matt Kap seems to enjoy indulging in with his games. but I liked the humorous tone of the game, combined with the Dragon Half artist gave it a 90s fantasy anime feel (but without much in the way of comical expressions). solid music as well

I played Ender Lilies for an hour and I don't love it. the combat is kind of weird feeling. I don't think it has anything to do with the attacks being 'projected' behind the character, it's just the impacts themselves feel weird and then the movement in general is clunky. Don't like the feel of the jumping, dodge feels weird. I dunno. This feels like it'll end up in my C-Tier. the early level design is a bit too basic as well

I switched over to Ato knowing it would be another solid B-tier and it lived up to that. I like how condensed the game is. It almost feels like a Metroidvania boss rush game, because there's a ton of them, and very little in the way of regular encounters even in the second half of the game when mobs spawn into the world. so there's always forward action and little downtime. I like the optional upgrades, a lot of the puzzle/timed rooms are fun, even if the rewards are usually just a coin or a health fragment. i didn't 100% the game but i do feel like I got close, in just 3 and a half hours. Maxed out the health and got most of the runes. A good game.

That leaves Transiruby (I expect to be B-tier) and Paradox Soul (I expect to be C/D) as the last ones for me to play this month, and I'll come back around to Ender Lilies later. The Steam Next Fest next month will also surely bring a couple of interesting demos my way as well....

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 11, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Transiruby last night. Another solid B-tier game, cute and relatively simple but involves plenty of (pretty much entirely mandatory) exploration. One of the passwords required for a certain objective was annoying to find (if you play the game and are similarly racking your brain, here's a pro tip, that pushable block can be moved back in the other direction) but otherwise I enjoyed it. i liked the last dungeon's gimmick of slowly expanding the map downward more and more as you reached certain points of progression.

Earlier in the week I played Maptroid Worlds and it was cute, although I think it could've had a snappier interface/controls. just not as polished as it could be.

this morning i played the demo of HAAK and liked it, although the secrets are a bit TOO signposted with those lanterns, idk if that's something they ease out as the game goes on but it's a bit too obvious.

i also played the demo of Blast Brigade and it felt pretty generic to me, kinda plain and uninteresting 'comedy' writing and just OK feeling movement. eh

i now have Haiku the Robot so that'll be my next MV, and then maybe Powerslave (same bundle)? then, either give Ender Lilies another shot, or maybe finally, finally, i devote a week+ to Hollow Knight.

other remaining MVs in my library: Ghostly Matter, Aquaria, Soul Reaver 1 & 2, Outbuddies (not a huge fan of this one)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh. I beat Haiku today. I didn't think it'd be as short as it was, as I was getting deep into it, on account of how hollow knighty it felt (complete with train station fast travel) but it ended up only being 5 hours long

it sits somewhere between B and C tier, I think there's good aspects there, but it compares unfavorably to fellow limited-palette gem Kunai which had much more fun movement and combat. i appreciated how many bosses there were, the zipline is a fun way of reinterpreting that one Metroid ability. but I'm glad I got it as part of a bundle

that's 6 metroidvanias beaten this month so I think I need to take a short break from them!!!! the next one would probably still be Powerslave Exhumed. i forget when 9 Years of Shadows releases but I guess that would be the first new one i'd be playing this year and I thiiiiink that's next month. so I can maybe take a 'breaktroidvania' until then

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news? I popped my head in here because it's one of my favorite genres and I'm seeing a bunch of stuff I haven't even heard of. I want to be aware of and have a big important opinion about every game in this genre past and future
easiest way is to wishlist games because the developers usually post updates to the game's news feed. every Next Fest i'll wishlist a bunch of games and that's usually how I end up knowing when they're coming out when I put my big "this month's games" lists in the Steam thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

avoraciopoctules posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701520/Afterimage/
This one in particular looks super cool from a minute of preview footage, and apparently it is a kickstarter success coming out in 9 days? Wild. Anybody know anything about Afterimage?
it's by the dev of Guijan 3 and i'm hoping it doesn't have the always-online DRM of that game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's apparently quite bug-ridden so I've been waiting on patches.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm enjoying 9 Years of Shadows, it seems like the worst bugs from the demo on the Deck got fixed, and it's really beautiful. the combat's a little too simple and I wish the different elements had more different combos (there's very minor differences but not major). it's what I'd call a B-tier for sure

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i also got depths of sanity for more submarine metroidvania antics (well, besides the aquatic adventure of the last human. i suppose those are, the two, and i don't count Song of the Deep)

patch quest claims to be a 'roguevania' but i've played it for an hour and i haven't yet seen the metroidvania aspects other than unlocking shortcuts back to base camp, which is not only not a metroidvania-exclusive thing but is something that has been in roguelites since Spelunky 1!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*gets to Bob-Omb Battlefield* ugh all this talking, now the Bob-Omb is talking to me, what is this War and Peace????

the elevators in Metroid Fusion would drive vbc crazy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

psycron is p chill, a nice little ESA-like

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It’s good and fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

someone needs to make an automap mod for HK so that people stop spending 50 posts whining about it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Not sure what to tell you. I’ve played through and beaten Hollow Knight around the time it came out due to both how it looked and how people raved about it. I kept searching for this amazing game people said was there all the way through to the end and it just didn’t exist. The poor controls, the unintuitive map system, the bland story (that thankfully didn’t get in the way), there just wasn’t anything magical I found. It was a thoroughly mediocre experience.

I loaded up my save to see if there were recent patches that I may have missed but found the same poor controls with slow + floaty movement.

If describing a game you like as “mediocre” is trolling, then know that is not my intent. I would recommend taking a step back though and realizing people have different opinions than you and they are not attacking you personally by expressing them.
shut the gently caress up!!!! gently caress!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we loving get it you don't like hollow knight, better post 50 more times about how you find it objectively mediocre

this was a fun thread until you showed up and just started whining over and over

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Eveeyr western indie metroidvania now has a bleak gothic artstyle, punishingly high difficulty, is 30 hours long and a first boss called something like 'Solus, Bannerman of the Empire'

(Genopanic, Scrabdackle, Bushiden, Mira: The Legend of the Djinns, Rubi: the Wayward Mira, Dewdrop Dynasty, Ultros, Star Hearts, Rebel Transmute, Minishoot Adventures, Moonlight Pulse, Dormiveglia)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rusted Moss is… well, it’s neat, but the combat is just one layer too many for me. The grappling and obstacle evasion is already a lot to deal with, let alone enemies that deal huge damage to you and a heal that is extremely weak and can only be used once before it has to refill from you dealing damage.

You also have to aim the gun, so they put jump on the left shoulder button, grapple on right shoulder and gun fire on right bumper. I know the game recommends mouse & keyboard but this is kind of silly!!

Non-Metroidvania Gravity Circuit handles this way better by having your combat be melee oriented and special moves bound to a macro with a direction on the dpad, so there’s no cumbersome controls and your right thumb isn’t forced to be on the right stick. The grapple’s a lot better in Gravity Circuit too because, well, it just works. It’s not concerned with being a realistic physics simulation, it just works like most grapple hooks worked in 8bit/16bit games.

I spent like 90 minutes trying to beat a very difficult boss last night before giving up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Afterimage is solid so far, I do agree that the skill tree is boring though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lone Fungus.. was pretty good. the way i score games it ends up behind afterimage because its art and sound aren't as up to snuff but it's probably the better game in some ways. I think Afterimage still gets some props for having so many varied and large locations, while Lone Fungus is more compact (my playtime was 7'15") but full of bosses that are more varied than what Afterimage offers (though still kinda simplistic).

Maybe a tiny bit bloated with abilities and spells.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

from playing the Yohane demo, the vibes of it are nice but the Ender Lilies style combat is kinda terrible because you can only swing once at a time, no comboing. maybe later on this changes? but it was rough at the start

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dark souls is not a metroidvania, or else every 90s FPS with keycards is a metroidvania

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Haak DLC date (free update):

quote:

The new DLC for HAAK - [Black and White] is set to be officially launched on November 29th at 07:00 PM! This new DLC is a free update and introduces an entirely new map. In [Black and White], various new mysteries and complex levels await your challenge, and the story about Haak's brother Baak will gradually be revealed.

In search of his brother Baak, Haak enters Baak's dreamscape. Different from the real world, how will Haak, who has lost his powers, survive in this bizarre dreamscape filled with black and white chess pieces? How can he successfully navigate the puzzles and unravel Baak’s inner turmoil?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea i'm not sure what genre i'd ultimately place dysmantle in but it's an extremely addictive game. it's very satisfying to keep seeing that damage number go up and being able to destroy more and more of the world like a damage katamari

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Martman posted:

Islets is awesome, ty epic game store
look forward to Crypt Custodian later this year from the same dev

i went and installed some Metroidvanias that I've owned on itch.io forever. Batbarian, Vision Soft Reset, Visual Out, Wormer Deluxe, SJ-19 Learns to Love, Alchemist's Castle

not all of them are the highest quality but i know that Visual Out is interesting, Vision Soft Reset is cool, and I liked the Batbarian demo that I played a few years ago, so I will probably at least like those three

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Oh gently caress, a new game from the Sheepo/Islets team? Hell yeah
yea, I played the demo of it and it was fun. it's top-down this time but still in the Metroidvania style, I guess you could compare it to like, a less stressful more chill Hyper Light Drifter or Unsighted or uh, insert whatever other non-zelda top-down Metroidvania you like

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah Treasures of the Aegean isn’t a Metroidvania but it is a fun little game, swift parkour movement and a map entirely designed around routing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the knight witch is fun. people were a lil too mean to this one. i'm heading to 'the surface' now and i think i'm near the end. not the MV-iest MV but it's got a little bit of ability gating at least. if i am near the end it's just the right length without wearing out its welcome. i do agree that they could've had a better solution for the cards than having them in the corner when there's a lot of bullets around. but on the Deck i've had no issue noticing what cards i've got.

i also think my preferences in MVs is different from critics, especially after souldiers got shreked by reviewers but for me it's an A-tier game. and people love valdis story and that's a big ol' thumbs down raspberry from me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aeterna noctis + 1 other game for $6 in this bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/fanatical-favorites-build-your-own-bundle

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished Xanthiom Zero. weird little game. i liked, sort of, the weapon experimentation you could do, but it wasn't as creative to explore as something like Copy Kitty's weapon combos. music was pretty mid. one boss, the octopus boss, was very difficult with low health, and then there's no challenge like that ever again and you just become insanely powerful by endgame and kill bosses before they finish a cycle. still, not bad for $2.50

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idgaf about dunkey's toxic rear end and i like animal well a lot. it's my top game this year so far

it is also a metroidvania in the classic way where there is no defined linear path, puzzles have multiple solutions for whatever ability layout you have, so you can do each of the four flames in whatever order you want. and then post game there are items that encourage even more exploration of past areas. but like yea, you'll get an item and now be able to go places you couldn't before, but those places also have ways to progress if you had gotten a different item. getting all the bonus mcguffins though will require a combination of items and mastery of the game

there are traversal 'tricks' with the items that are intended by the developer as there are achievements for them, and it's up to you to figure them out, and that will get you to more secret rooms/puzzles. if you're worried that the secret stuff is all entirely ARG or "you need to learn assembly code and input this bg pattern into a compiler", that's sort of the final final postgame stuff. the main campaign is around 5-6 hours. there are mcguffin doors that open once you have a certain amount of them... after an hour-ish of postgame play I have 40 of them, so again, if you just like finding chests/upgrades, you'll be fine for 90% of what the game has to offer, and it won't take you a billion hours. You can just go as far as getting all the bonus mcguffins and then call it a day and leave the rest to the ARG-brained community to figure out

e: btw AW is not a "go in blind" game like Inscryption/Outer Wilds imo so I don't think stuff like what i just said needs to be spoilered

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Martman posted:

how is dunkey toxic lol. He's probably one of the most inoffensive youtubers at that level of popularity
didn't he literally get banned from LoL for being a raging dipshit. anyway it's just my, like, opinion man!!