Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Recent Metroidvanias I've played and enjoyed:

Great:

-Timespinner - fairly unique weapon system. Relatively short, but well made.
-Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights - Still playing through this (got distracted by Xenoblade 3 and now Trails from Zero), but visually impressive, attacks are basically like stands, fairly challenging but also very fair boss design.
-Hollow Knight - Great art and sound. Not as groundbreaking-amazing-best-game-ever as everyone seems to think IMO, but really good.
-Ori and the Will of the Wisp - Beautiful game, direct attacking is a good improvement over the previous title.

Okay:
-Chasm - I played 1.0, which was slightly buggy. The game itself is fine, very castlevania-like in its equipment/attack system. Was a bit disappointed since I'd been following its progress for years.
-Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight - Good, but definitely challenging.

In looking at this list, I'm starting to realize I haven't beat most of these games. The only game in this list that I actually finished was Timespinner....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not trying to be a linguistic prescriptivist, but both of the archetypal games of the genre are platformers and the term certainly historically has been used as an alternative to "exploratory platformers" as a genre.

Yeah. I think people forget about adventure as a genre:

Wikipedia posted:

An adventure game is a video game genre in which the player assumes the role of a protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and/or puzzle-solving.

A metroidvania is platformer with adventure elements, where exploration is limited by abilities or items you eventually obtain. It is a modification of the platformer genre, with a persistent, interconnected map instead of the traditional structure (self-contained stages that occur in a specific order). They're also, often, more story-driven than their counterparts.

A Zelda-like is an action RPG with adventure elements where exploration is limited by abilities or items you eventually obtain. It is a modification of the already action-modified RPG genre, where stat growth occurs through collecting items and defeating boss enemies (i.e. level 2 sword, heart containers at the end of dungeons and on the field) instead of through experience/continual equipment upgrades, etc. Often puzzle-heavy.

So, a game like Unsighted would be a Zelda-like.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 2, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"adventure" is by far the worst defined genre name in games, and i can get why people wouldn't use it

I dunno, I disagree. "Adventure" is just a broad category, same as action, that's used to drill down into subcategories. It's not poorly defined, it just has a large umbrella. Most people think "point-and-click" when you mention adventure, but it can include visual novels and narrative-driven games without any real puzzling elements.

-Adventure games are games that focus on narrative, puzzles, interaction with NPCs, and progressing through the story using your brain.

-Action games are games that focus on player hand-eye coordination, reaction speed, mastery of game mechanics.

--An adventure game that includes action elements is an action/adventure game. Zelda is considered an action/adventure game, because it includes action (obviously) and adventure elements (exploration, puzzles, a narrative).

I argue that RPGs are adventure games with combat and stat progression. I don't think it would be controversial to call Zelda an RPG, for example.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 2, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Heck yeah, I would much rather have a thread filled with posts that only complain about other posts!

It's good to set expectations, because it's obvious we all seem to have a different idea of what the genre is. For example, I picked up Unsighted because it was marketed as a metroidvania/souls-like. I picked up Muramasa: The Demon Blade for Wii because it was marketed (and reviewed as) a metroidvania.

I would consider neither of these games metroidvanias. Unsighted, to me, is a Zelda-like (heck, one of the coolest items you get is inspired by a dungeon item in Twilight Princess). Muramasa is just an a linear action game where you don't get any additional movement abilities--and progress isn't gated behind abilities or any change to the character (you basically get swords that act as keys for the next area and usually involves backtracking).

Unsighted is a cool game you should try anyway. Muramasa had some very memorable music and was fun to zone out and button mash with. (Edit: also a gorgeous game, I emulated the Wii version with a 4k texture pack).

-----

Regarding favorite movement/ability upgrade, I love the games that are more heavily inspired by Castlevania and add in weapons/mechanics that allow you to cancel animations. Chasm, for example, baked in landing animation canceling for large weapons. It's really satisfying to attack, land, and attack again immediately.

Edit: Would the original Blaster Master be considered a metroidvania?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 2, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

All modern controllers work on PC without any hassle. I can plug in my wired hori Switch controller, pair my Switch pro controller, pair my PS4 controller, use my Xbone wired controller, etc. Interchangeable.

You may need to change some options in, say, Steam Big Picture mode if you're playing a title over 8-10 years old, and some games may only have button icons for Xbox. Otherwise, buying a controller specifically for computers died out well over a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Look! It's a Platroguevanialike sale!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/platroguevanialike