Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sono posted:

- (31) horror movies from countries that I've never seen a movie from. Shorts count. Honest attempts to watch something I believe is a horror movie based on the Letterboxd description count. "Country" as defined by Letterboxd.

Starting map:

Whoa, is this a premium feature or merely tucked away somewhere I haven't noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Heck yeah, I'm ready. My initial goal is to work through the 'All the Haunts Be Ours' boxset I bought awhile back and haven't even opened. That's 19 folk horror films. If I get through that I'll move on to the VS Forgotten Gialli boxsets I haven't gotten to yet (yes I have a problem).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Horror and science! My goal is watch one horror film involving each of the major insect groups.

(I think this is actually going to be easy. Heh heh heh....)

I hope you're including arachnids!

Big recommend for The Black Scorpion, The Deadly Mantis, Monster on the Campus, and The Monster that Challenged the World. Also Matinee and Popcorn.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Crossposting from Letterboxd is OK? I have 31 movies cued up to do for Hooptober as is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gently caress yeah! Didn't even know this was a thing until like July and it is absolutely embarrassing how much I've looked forward to this! 31 movies in a month, probably involving banking some up this weekend.

And apparently I have an excuse to actually use my fountain pen for extra spoopy fun! I hadn't thought to do that, but I've only been using my grading fountain pen with red ink instead of my much nicer pen that's set up for black ink. Thanks for the idea, Lhet!

I don't have a theme per se except my constant need to catch up on horror movies I missed. Taking a couple years off there really messed up my coverage.

But if anyone has any historical horror, hit me the gently caress up. Horror and period pieces are my chocolate and peanut butter, so them going well together makes me very happy assuming it's any good. Basically anything that is set before the invention of film makes me really happy, so if you have a pet favorite please feel free to let me know.

The weather just turned FULL SPOOPY (50 degrees, leaves changing, rain) and I spent all day messing with firewood and I live alone in the woods, so tonight I'm rewatching The VVitch because I loving love it but have only seen it once.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

Whoa, is this a premium feature or merely tucked away somewhere I haven't noticed?

I think it's Pro only. It's at the very bottom of the stats page.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My horror challenger will end with seeing Psycho Goreman in a theater for a special thing. Bc after that I’ll be too busy to watch horror movies

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Finally caught up on the horror thread, finally in a good place to do this sort of thing. Very excited! Goal is going to be 31, all new watches, hopefully aligning with whatever the challenges (bingo card?) turn out to be.

I spent a 7 month period isolated during COVID watching all 600+ films I hadn't yet seen in the TSZDT list, so with those out of the way most of what I'll be watching is likely to be either super new or super trash. Can't wait!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1. Ghostbusters Afterlife 2021 dir. Jason Reitman

The cast is pretty good but everything else is run of the mill storytelling and nostalgia bait. Actually bringing back Harold Ramis from the dead gave me the willies.

2/5

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Let's loving go!

I'm just going for 13 this year. I'm sure I'll do more but I had the dumb idea to expand my wife's business and make a Halloween popup so now I'm working every day in October.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna try but I’m NOT writing more than a paragraph. I don’t have anything to say.

Also I’m not even making a list. I’m just gonna watch something every other day or whatever

Lol I write like two sentences half the time, the pressure to write a review is minimal

Servoret posted:

Crossposting from Letterboxd is OK? I have 31 movies cued up to do for Hooptober as is.

I cut n paste mine from LB frequently.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Very excited for this and I'll be watching my first movie tonight! I won't hit 31 but I'll shoot for my usual 15.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Letssss goooooo :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

In for 31!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I watched a week of giallos in prep for this. And I see the criterion channel is going to do a month of 80s horror. Going to be a fun month. As usual I'll say 31 movies but then just watch some larger number because of a lack of self control.
Also, I need to remember to post a pic of the shirt I won from last year's thread when I get home.

Also for anyone who wants to browse prior challenge threads for ideas:

duz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 30, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
1. Stagefright

You can watch it for free here:

https://tubitv.com/movies/533869/stagefright?start=true

Weapons : Pickaxe , Knife, Chainsaw , Hatchet

This is a pretty good slasher film. It takes place during the stage production, in a locked theater! If you want explanations on why someones going around killing people its as simple as "They're a escaped mental patient". Thats it thats the entire motivation. There is no one in the cast worth mentioning , however the theater director does stand out as pretty decently acted. We're here for the kills! There's lots of kills! and they are gory! People get stabbed with a pick axe , stabbed with a knife , and cut up with a chainsaw. All pretty gruesomely depicted. Also the killer wears the freakiest loving costume with a giant owl head. I have no idea why. ITs part of the play but dude has a owl head and it is loving surreal watching this dude with a owl head kill people. Anyway its not a bad slasher and its worth checking out. Shout out to the chainsaw kills which are pretty gruesome. I don't know why the theater had chainsaws laying around but they did.

edit:

Oh my theme for this year is slashers/giallo so I'll be posting those. Also I'mma try and read 1 book on giallos this October if I can.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 30, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#2.) The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960; Blu-ray)

Some doctor by the name of Jekyll is fascinated by the dualities of man, and is determined to find a way to unlock the more animalistic side. Things quickly spin out of his control, of course.

In this interpretation, the manifestation of Mr. Hyde is evoked through Jekyll losing his beard and being more willing to grin widely, among the other behavioral changes. Thanks to his bland dress sense, no one catches on. Christopher Lee plays Jekyll's immoral friend Paul Allen, who's only too willing to introduce the newly-met Hyde to the seedier diversions of London (e.g., exotic dancing, bare-knuckles boxing, and an opium den). Paul Massie plays both Jekyll and Hyde, and Dawn Addams provides another facet to this version, playing Jekyll's wife, Kitty, with whom Allen is having an affair.

Hyde's fixation on Kitty helps spur on events and tighten the desperation of the characters, but it does strike an odd contrast with the more ruthless image of the character usually employed. On the other hand, the romance-driven approach to the story does make for an interesting spin, even if the decadent indulgences don't rise to meet the lushness of the Hammer costuming and set dressing, while Hyde taking the form of a clean-shaven, well-groomed socialite is also entertaining. Not the most nuanced telling of the story, but not too shabby, either, even if the ending is a bit of a mess.

“Why? Why must you destroy?”

:spooky: Rating: 6/10

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
1. The Sadness - (Shudder) One word, insane. There were several moments where I was like they are not going there but yep they went there a literally skull loving. It does a good job of making the premise feel fresh by using ultra gore crossed with satire (COVID especially).

Good movie but if you don’t like gore stay away.

4 out of 5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

1. Stagefright

You can watch it for free here:

https://tubitv.com/movies/533869/stagefright?start=true

Weapons : Pickaxe , Knife, Chainsaw , Hatchet

This is a pretty good slasher film. It takes place during the stage production, in a locked theater! If you want explanations on why someones going around killing people its as simple as "They're a escaped mental patient". Thats it thats the entire motivation. There is no one in the cast worth mentioning , however the theater director does stand out as pretty decently acted. We're here for the kills! There's lots of kills! and they are gory! People get stabbed with a pick axe , stabbed with a knife , and cut up with a chainsaw. All pretty gruesomely depicted. Also the killer wears the freakiest loving costume with a giant owl head. I have no idea why. ITs part of the play but dude has a owl head and it is loving surreal watching this dude with a owl head kill people. Anyway its not a bad slasher and its worth checking out. Shout out to the chainsaw kills which are pretty gruesome. I don't know why the theater had chainsaws laying around but they did.

Check out Soavi's other great film The Church/LA Chiesa aka Demons 3: The Church

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Check out Soavi's other great film The Church/LA Chiesa aka Demons 3: The Church

Yea The Church is baller.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Xiahou Dun posted:

But if anyone has any historical horror, hit me the gently caress up. Horror and period pieces are my chocolate and peanut butter, so them going well together makes me very happy assuming it's any good. Basically anything that is set before the invention of film makes me really happy, so if you have a pet favorite please feel free to let me know.

If you haven’t seen Ravenous, get on that ASAP.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm in. Hopeful for 31 but my dad's still in the ICU and my mind's elsewhere at least until he's not, so we'll see. Doing it random again, only things I absolutely have planned are Hellraiser, Halloween Ends, VHS99 and Mr Harrigan's Phone

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lumbermouth posted:

If you haven’t seen Ravenous, get on that ASAP.

It’s arguably my favorite horror movie and I’ve been obsessed with the soundtrack since it came out in theaters.

By which I mean, excellent call good job you figured out my entire taste in movies from a short description. It’s why my go-to for running horror games is “creepy period piece with unspecified amounts of the supernatural, preferably cannabalism, won’t say no to homoeroticism.”

PS Robert Carlyle is secretly the best horror actor.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yea The Church is baller.

One of my all time favs

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Count me in!

This month is also busy for me so I'm going to go with at least 13 films.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Awkward time for you to start this, given the new Terraria update just dropped, could have used a few weeks with that, but, yeah, I'll try for 31, including whatever the challenges are.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

1. Scary Movie

I didn't even plan to watch this, but it was top of the page on Netflix when I searched for horror, and I was curious to see how well it held up, given comedy usually ages like milk in the sun. Shock: It aged worse than I expected! There's a few genuinely funny physical comedy moments (Ghostface's feet sticking out from behind the sofa while he's hiding cracked me up) but ho boy, they cram homophobic jokes in here like they're under a quota. And that transphobic gag about the gym teacher feels like it goes on for entire loving days. One out of five.

youd for i
Mar 24, 2006

Please enter your password, then press pound
I will try for at least 13, and see how close to 31 I make it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Are we going to be able to add the challenges in retroactivly? Want to get started today but given my tight schedule I don't want to do something out of order and screw myself up

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

This sounds like fun so I'm gonna force myself to hit 31. Or else. I take it rewatching is fine? I'll mostly do new(to me) ones anyways. Maybe finally crack into Giallo.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Scissorfighter posted:

This sounds like fun so I'm gonna force myself to hit 31. Or else. I take it rewatching is fine? I'll mostly do new(to me) ones anyways. Maybe finally crack into Giallo.

Rewatching is a-ok

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

1)The Munsters (netflix)

Movie is way too long. It's like a two hour sitcom episode and drags.I don't really like that it's an origin story in Transylvania, in that a lot of the fun of the munsters is the friction between them in the normal world. That said I like the way it looks, and would probably watch a series.You can tell Zombie certainly had fun making it I can't really bring myself to hate it, but drat if it's not a slog.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scissorfighter posted:

Rewatching is fine for your count, but challenges are (usually) first watches

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Hell yeah, my favorite thread. 31+ for me, no particular theme this year, just gonna pick from the list I've got going.

Love reading this thread and appreciate all the work everyone puts in.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#3.) The Boy (2016; Blu-ray)

A woman moves from Montana to Britain to serve as a live-in nanny to a young boy, only to discover upon arrival that the boy is a literal doll. Then the parents go off on holiday, leaving the nanny to follow a set of rules and schedules, and strange things begin to happen.

Being set in a lonely mansion is perhaps the movie's greatest strength, to the point of the doll being secondary or tertiary. Though some might consider it appalling to compare this to The Shining, the aspect of being in an isolated, unfamiliar locale while serving as caretaker for a pre-established amount of time made it hard for me to avoid thinking about it. Instead of an already strained family unit cracking further, though, it's a lone woman with a troubled past trying to start anew. The actress for that role, Lauren Cohan, does a fair enough job being the sole character for long stretches of the film, with occasional visits from the grocery deliveryman leading into the film's main relationship.

There's a twist or two, and to be honest, they weren't nearly as hamhanded or dumb as the film's reputation had led me to expect. The atmosphere before that point is built up slowly, and with enough care to endear the film to me. Not the most satisfying conclusion, I'll admit, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, all things considered.

“Kiss.”

:spooky: Rating: 6/10

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I just found out that the Arrow streaming service has a 30-day free trial, so I'll be posting a lot of stuff from there. Such as:

1) The Wind (1986)

I put this on mostly because we're having what’s left of the hurricane blow through. It’s about an American mystery writer who travels to a remote Greek village and immediately crosses paths with a killer. It’s more of a thriller than a slasher movie, which wasn’t what I was expecting for some reason, but the chase scenes were pretty entertaining. I also thought some of the performances were fun.

The Wind’s biggest drawback is its pacing. It takes about a half hour to get the writer, played by Meg Foster (who’s recognizable from movies like They Live and Leviathan), into any trouble. Her cat and mouse scenes with Wings Hauser are interesting because she tries to hinder and outmaneuver him instead of straight-up facing him down, but unfortunately her attempts to find help turn things into kind of a slog. We spend too much time watching long-distance phone conversations, groaning at Steve Railsback’s incredulous sailor routine, or wondering why in the gently caress there are random honeymooners that don’t interact with the rest of the movie at all. And all that downtime gave me too much of a chance to wonder why Meg Foster can’t just flee the property since so many other folks have no trouble being out in the windstorm.

The wind comes and goes whenever it’s convenient for the plot, mostly making its presence felt as background sound or a reason for banging shutters. Sometimes the actors seem to be struggling against it, but none of that is handled very well, which makes the final scene of Wings Hauser being blown off a cliff just as he’s about to win a bit of a let-down. Despite all its issues, the movie does have an overall charm. The story just felt more like something you’d find in a 1970s gothic-inspired paperback rather than an 80s murder movie.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
As usual, I'll be watching at least one movie each night, no attempt at challenges as I collect physical media and what I watch is predetermined by what DVDs I ordered in advanced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

2. Bay of Blood

Available here:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/a-bay-of-blood

On AMC +

Weapons : Spear , Machete, Knife , Hanging , Shotgun

Directed by the late great Mario Bava, who kind of basically created the giallo genre with Blood and Black Lace. This is a great twisty turvy who done it. You actually really need to pay attention to this film because the plot has curves, and then flash backs to those curves. So its not something you can just put on in the background. Its got some pretty gruesome kills that were totally ripped off in F13 part 1 , its also probably the originator of poo poo goes sideways at a lake retreat. Anyway its made by a great director, its got a great plot and a absolutely stunner of a ending. Don't miss out on the film that inspired countless slashers afterwards. This is the formulae that's used by so many films and Bava did it first. Without this there wouldn't be countless copycats afterwards. Its the Texas Chainsaw Massacre of Giallo and slasher films. Its the original and its tough to beat.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

1. Bat sin fan dim: Yan yuk cha siu bau, aka The Eight Immortals Restaurant: The Untold Story
Hong Kong, 1993, dir. Herman Yau

Watchable on Shudder

I figured I'd start with the one movie on the TSZDT list I never got around to finishing. Maybe I just wasn't in the right head space, but I only made it 5 minutes into this movie before turning it off. That was then, this is now.

HUGE mixed bag. The first few kills were fun, and the body parts were some great practical effects, but cop characters were insufferable, and their humor never landed. A whole lot of weird misogyny, odd coca-cola product placements, and a frankly baffling focus on urination (peeing on his hand after dumping a body into the trash, pissed on in prison fight, drinks urine out of a cup afterwards, and the close-up of the little girl's crotch).

Most of all though, the movie was boring. So boring.

So boring, until the last 15 minutes or so when the whole thing shot through the stratosphere into cinematic excellence. That final section is what I wished the whole movie was like! The children's faces spattered in blood. A chunk bitten out of the wife's face, and a bottle (coca-cola of course) jammed into the father's neck that gushes out blood like a volcano. Great decapitation of the daughter, and finally that splashy butchery scene at the end. Even the cut to him after the mayhem, lying asleep on a pile of bodies, with his goddamn hand down his pants.

:discourse:

All in all the main character was an interesting enough enigma, but not interesting enough to carry the rest of the film. I get that it's supposedly based on a true story, but what isn't?

5/10 overall, spiking to 9/10 at the very end.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Going for 31 movies. Talked my wife into joining me and we will alternate choosing movies.

I will also be asking her for her opinions afterwards and including her reviews with my reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

2. Bay of Blood

Available here:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/a-bay-of-blood

On AMC +

Weapons : Spear , Machete, Knife , Hanging , Shotgun

Directed by the late great Mario Bava, who kind of basically created the giallo genre with Blood and Black Lace. This is a great twisty turvy who done it. You actually really need to pay attention to this film because the plot has curves, and then flash backs to those curves. So its not something you can just put on in the background. Its got some pretty gruesome kills that were totally ripped off in F13 part 1 , its also probably the originator of poo poo goes sideways at a lake retreat. Anyway its made by a great director, its got a great plot and a absolutely stunner of a ending. Don't miss out on the film that inspired countless slashers afterwards. This is the formulae that's used by so many films and Bava did it first. Without this there wouldn't be countless copycats afterwards. Its the Texas Chainsaw Massacre of Giallo and slasher films. Its the original and its tough to beat.

I don’t know the thread’s spoiler policy so I’m going to be way too polite and spoiler tag a Friday the 13th thing even though the movie is incredibly famous and older than many people in this thread :

Did Friday steal the Kevin Bacon-arrow kill too? I’m curious how much it stole and how egregiously.