Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t know the thread’s spoiler policy so I’m going to be way too polite and spoiler tag a Friday the 13th thing even though the movie is incredibly famous and older than many people in this thread :

Did Friday steal the Kevin Bacon-arrow kill too? I’m curious how much it stole and how egregiously.

It stole the bed scene in F13 part 1 and the machete to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Hollismason posted:

It stole the bed scene in F13 part 1 and the machete to the face.

I watched this for the first time last year and yeah, it was amazing how much was lifted from that film.

--
So, the challenge - going to try for 31 w/Fran challenges. After a couple of years of escalating numbers (64 was the peak last year), I think I'm going to dial it back a bit - my work-at-home job that pretty mindlessly let me watch a movie or so a day has become more complex, so 31 will be more my speed.

To change things up after 5 years of only counting new watches, this year I'm going to allow myself rewatches, but for a good cause - my 9-year-old daughter told me she wanted in on the challenge this year, so I'll be showing her some of my favorites from my childhood. Appropriate stuff, of course, like the Universal monster movies, 50s giant bugs, some more family-friendly stuff she wants to watch, etc. Depending on how adventurous she feels, we might slip in Poltergeist or The Gate (both of which I had watched by the time I was her age in the '80s), so we'll see how that goes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

But if anyone has any historical horror, hit me the gently caress up. Horror and period pieces are my chocolate and peanut butter, so them going well together makes me very happy assuming it's any good. Basically anything that is set before the invention of film makes me really happy, so if you have a pet favorite please feel free to let me know.

Witchhammer (1970) and Witchfinder General (1968) are both very good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've still gotta see those too.

Xiahou Dun posted:

But if anyone has any historical horror, hit me the gently caress up. Horror and period pieces are my chocolate and peanut butter, so them going well together makes me very happy assuming it's any good. Basically anything that is set before the invention of film makes me really happy, so if you have a pet favorite please feel free to let me know.

Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula. (Hammer time!)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Viy is s great historical horror

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just got home from a work trip and it's time to scream.

I'm going with the rules I impose on myself for every challenge: 31 movies, one a day every day in October, and they have to be new to me.

Unfortunately, my life has been even more crazy than usual so I had no time to prep this year. I've got no gimmicks prepared for me, no weird stunts, and no films I've got to see; I'm just going to have go basic and pick out something that seems cool as I'm flipping through options.

For historical horror, they're always Haxan.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 1, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#4.) Slaughter Island (2010; Tubi)

A group of teens, who fashion themselves as explorers of remote areas, visit an island, where they proceed to have a beach party. Things soon turn frightening, though, as members of the group meet violent ends. With their boat vanished, is there any hope for these plucky kids?

Shallow on plot, the movie is mostly those teens wandering around in the woods and beach until happening to get killed once they get separated from the group. There's some skeezy sexploitation elements, the gore is low-budget stuff (almost always involving sharp sticks), and the whole thing feels like it was destined from the start to go directly to a DVD marked 'Pay no more than $5.' The killer has an interesting gimmick, but it's not explored to anymore than a superficial degree. That's a shame, because it's easily the most inventive thing the movie has going for it. No real reason to spend time watching this, unless you're really hungry for Japanese horror. Nice song over the ending credits, I guess.

“You have something sticking to you. It's gross.”

:spooky: Rating: 4/10

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 3, 2022

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

1. Black Sunday

Mario Bava's directorial debut about a 200 year old dead witch trying to return to life through the body of her identical descendant.

This movie has some incredible atmosphere going for it and it's overall a great looking film. The black and white cinematography is stunning with some effective camera work throughout featuring a lot of great tension-building panning shots and sudden snap-zooms.

Barbara Steel is captivating as the witch, with the bulk of her acting being conveyed through her almost cartoonish eyes. The pacing is also very good with very little downtime dragging things down.

This was an excellent first watch for this year.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

MacheteZombie posted:

Viy is s great historical horror

That came to my mind too.

For historical scares there’s also cowboy horror portmanteau GRIMM PRAIRIE TALES with Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones. I saw this on tv when I was too young and it hosed me up.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

1. The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave - 1971 [Tubi]

this movie is ~106 minutes long and after the first 5 minutes, not much happens till the last 15 minutes.

the plot is similar to Hitchcock's Rebecca - a wealthy widowed man marries again and his new bride / others are haunted by the dead wife's ghost. of course there are twists: the widower enjoys killing prostitutes who resemble his dead wife among them.

it's a good move to have on while doing other things cause while most of the movie is unexciting the end has a few "oh poo poo" moments. Someone [read: me] should make a modern version of this story.

rating: 3/5

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

#4.) Slaughter Island (2010; Tubi)

A group of teens, who fashion themselves as explorers of remote areas, visit an island, where they proceed to have a beach party. Things soon turn frightening, though, as members of the group meet violent ends. With their boat vanished, is there any hope for these plucky kids?

Shallow on plot, the movie is mostly those teens wandering around in the woods and beach until happening to get killed once they get separated from the group. There's some skeezy sexploitation elements, the gore is low-budget stuff (almost always involving sharp sticks), and the whole thing feels like it was destined from the start to go directly to a DVD marked 'Pay no more than $5.' The killer has an interesting gimmick, but it's not explored to anymore than a superficial degree. That's a shame, because it's easily the most inventive thing the movie has going for it. No real reason to spend time watching this, unless you're really hungry for Japanese horror. Nice song over the ending credits, I guess.

“You have something sticking to you. It's gross.”

:spooky: Rating: 4/10

I love the idea that someone barely watched Shutter Island at thought- let’s do a sleazy sex horror version to trick ppl at the Walmart dvd bin

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Hausu Usher posted:

That came to my mind too.

For historical scares there’s also cowboy horror portmanteau GRIMM PRAIRIE TALES with Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones. I saw this on tv when I was too young and it hosed me up.

I had been nodding along, going "Yeah, that's a good one..." to every other (helpful, thank you!) post but this one made me stop dead and go look it up because I'd somehow never heard of it.

I missed a Brad Dourif joint?! My god. I need to remedy this soon.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
wooooo, in for 31 as always. I’m off work from the 8th until the 16th so I’ll have plenty of time to binge.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

WeaponX posted:

I love the idea that someone barely watched Shutter Island at thought- let’s do a sleazy sex horror version to trick ppl at the Walmart dvd bin

those movies and those bins are big business.

Many years ago Walmart acquired my startup, and on the announcement day, someone from Walmart corporate came to our office to congratulate us and asked us a question.

"let me give you a sense of how big Walmart is. you know those DVD bins at each Walmart? the ones filled to the brim with $4 DVDs no one's ever heard of? How much revenue do you think we make off those no name movies every year?"

Coworkers shout out "$10 million!" "$50 million!" "$100 million!"

Corporate guy laughs. "$2 billion. every year. just from those bins. that's how big Walmart is."

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning, 1985

It is October here now, so I'm starting my marathon. The fourth movie was the final part. Jason was killed for real and there's no way around it. So of course they made a fifth movie despite that. The kid from the previous movie is somehow a young adult. If he went through some hyper puberty in one year or we are expected to believe that the universe of these movies are permanently stuck in the early to mid 80s in terms of fashion and music I do not know. Either way, he is messed up from the trauma of seeing Jason killing people and barely surviving, and sent to a home for messed up teens. Teens in that looks like they are in their 20s. Bunch of killings happens, our traumatized main character, if he can be called that, have visions of Jason. Is he doing the killings? What kind of dumb twist will there be at the end in showing who the real killer is? Only way to find out is to watch the movie, or the very least just look it up online. This one just don't have the charm of the previous ones or the fun of the later ones. This is to me the weakest of the franchise. Still, it gave me some 80s slasher fun, so it is not a worthless movie by any means. Well, unless you aren't into these kind of movies. Then it is just garbage.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

those movies and those bins are big business.

Many years ago Walmart acquired my startup, and on the announcement day, someone from Walmart corporate came to our office to congratulate us and asked us a question.

"let me give you a sense of how big Walmart is. you know those DVD bins at each Walmart? the ones filled to the brim with $4 DVDs no one's ever heard of? How much revenue do you think we make off those no name movies every year?"

Coworkers shout out "$10 million!" "$50 million!" "$100 million!"

Corporate guy laughs. "$2 billion. every year. just from those bins. that's how big Walmart is."

Incredible! Thanks for sharing this. I have a bunch of those crappy horror multi-packs straight out of those bins like these

and I’m loving thrilled they were part of a multi billion dollar industry.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

1. Girls School Screamers (1986, physical media)

I watched this because it's a Troma movie that I'd never seen that Vinegar Syndrome gave a nice release, so I figured it had to at least be a fun watch. Not so much. It has a fun start with some good makeup effects, and then you just sit through a mediocre haunted house movie for about an hour until there's a really fun scene where they break out the good makeup again, then it ends a few minutes later. The acting and script aren't really notable in any way, good or bad. The characters are as thin as you'd see in any mid-80's slasher, but the few slasher-style things that happen are perfunctory and boring with like 2-3 exceptions so you don't even get any laughs or ironic comeuppance from any of it. Absolutely do not recommend unless you're some kind of Troma completist and even then I wouldn't prioritize it.

1/5

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
I’m in for 31 new-to-me films.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

2. Moloch
Netherlands, 2022. Dir. Nico van der Brink

Streaming on Shudder

I quite enjoyed this one. A bit of a slow burn, but it had some great atmosphere (cant go wrong with misty nights and desolate bogs) and the ghost effects were top notch. It plods along for a while there in the middle, but it has a very satisfying ending and even if the twist is telegraphed from a mile away it was still an enjoyable ride. What can I say? I'm a sucker for folk horror.

Goddamn that was a nice looking ghost. drat.

6.5/10.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I’m in for 31 new-to-me films.

How do you have that avatar and gang tag at the same time? Lol. that means you had to have failed the challenge one year gotten that avatar then came back a full year later and gotten the gang tag.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Hollismason posted:

How do you have that avatar and gang tag at the same time? Lol. that means you had to have failed the challenge one year gotten that avatar then came back a full year later and gotten the gang tag.

The one year that avatar got handed out was the one year I got to busy at the end of the month and couldn’t finish my reviews. I had watched my 31, but only managed to write up 28 of them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Russian Guyovitch posted:

The one year that avatar got handed out was the one year I got to busy at the end of the month and couldn’t finish my reviews. I had watched my 31, but only managed to write up 28 of them.

Yeah I got the avatar that year as well. I came back the last few years though and have managed to complete the challenge during COVID. They should bring back the avatar for those that don't complete it imho. Although I really like my current AV.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Blood Feast (1963)
Directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis

"I was reading about all those murders and it sort of takes all the joy out of everything"

Blood Feast is definitely a movie. When Herschell Gordon Lewis directed it, he had probably seen movies before or was familiar with them. This doesn't mean he was really qualified to make one himself. Somehow, he cobbled together a vital part of horror history from some truly awful ingredients. The music, camera work, and line delivery are all just plain bad. Blood Feast has this weird goofy charm though. It's not really shocking almost 60 years after it was made, but it is unpleasant. It does deliver on its promise. There is a lot of blood.

👻👻👻/5

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

In for 31 again this year.
My big project I'd like to work on through it is reviewing the Halloween films and doing a retrospective on each timeline. I'm breaking them down like this at the moment.

The Carpenter Timeline: Halloween 1 and 2
The Cult of Thorn Timeline: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
The Miramax Timeline: 1, 2, H20, Resurrection
The Blumhouse Timeline: 1, '18, Kills, Ends

For each movie I'll also try to include a 1-10 rating for Michael's masks, a favorite kill, and if anything jumps out, a favorite frame.

Otherwise I'm aiming to do expand and re-watch some giallo, Universal Monsters, and the Hammer Frankenstein films. It's gonna be a good October, y'all.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 1, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#5.) Darkman II: The Return of Durant (1995; Blu-ray)

So what if Robert G. Durant go smashed into an overpass with a helicopter explosion? He's back, baby! Back (with only one or two scars, no less) to cause trouble for Peyton Westlake, the Darkman!

Arnold Vosloo is here to replace Liam Neeson as Darkman, and as much as I like Vosloo, his accent is all over the place in this film. And Bradford May (director of Elevator Girl, Flower Girl, and The Right Girl) steps into Sam Raimi's shoes to direct. A tall order, no doubt, but with all the flashbacks to footage from the first film that are used, about 5% of this film could feature Raimi's credit anyway.

There's more of a comic book influence this time around, swapped in for the pulp serials vibe of the first, with disintegrator guns, a former KGB agent with plutonium batteries, a high-speed car-chase shoot-out, and a street news team digging too deep into criminal activities. And the one-liners! They make up the majority of Durant's dialogue, while Darkman gets a truck-load of clichés. We get a “Take two of these and call me in the morning,” delivery, and a double dose of “Batteries not included.” Despite that, Larry Drake (playing Durant) is reliably excellent, no matter how much scenery he chews.

On top of all that, there might as well have been Philip Morris financing, considering how hardly a scene goes by without someone pulling out a cigarette or cigar. Maybe I've got too much of a soft spot for the property, but I still like this. It's a fun romp, even if it doesn't aim too high in innovation, stunts, or luridness. And it does have the “Commie son of a bitch!” “Nazi bastard!” exchange, which I can't help but love. As good as the first one? No, certainly not. But much better than a DTV sequel to a Sam Raimi film could have easily fallen.

“I think we've all learned a valuable safety tip here.”

:spooky: Rating: 6/10

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hell yeah! I’m pumped to do this again!

Last year I promised 31 and managed 67. This year I’m promising 31 again, but my real goal is 62 with a stretch goal of 100 films. It’ll be tough, but I think I can do it. Other challenges I’ll attempt are mostly new to me titles and stuff I own on disc, with exceptions for streaming exclusive movies. Plus, I’m def going for thread challenges (spooky bingo was so fun last year) and the Hooptober challenge.

I’m waiting for midnight, the official start to October, for my most frightening and gruesome film on my list…..an Adam Sandler Netflix comedy! Mwahahahaha!!!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

1. Evil Toons

Starting my spooky season off with a goofy haunted house meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit meets your usual Fred Olen Ray sexplotation romp. It’s a very silly tongue in cheek affair. It’s bottom of the barrel in lots of ways but there is a lot of charm, like Dick Miller getting a sharp-toothed blowjob or this classic Ray opening card....

David Carradine stars (of course) wearing his best pilgrim outfit-showing up for a few minutes to lend his usual gravitas. The titular “toon” effect is pretty terrible but I love the idea! Barely appears however. All in all it’s a pretty fun film, something silly to get you in the spooky spirit. The main girls have a fun time playing up the usual horror stereotypes, it’s all very knowingly wonky and bad. Dumb fun, I have a very high tolerance for 80s/90s low budget cheese so take my review with a grain of salt....

:spooky: 3.5/5 :spooky:

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 1, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolutely, everyone knows Evil Toons is good. That movie is funny stuff. Fred Olen Ray, what a career.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolutely, everyone knows Evil Toons is good. That movie is funny stuff. Fred Olen Ray, what a career.

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers is up next!

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

1.) Beetlejuice
Tim Burton | 1988 | Peacock

I’ve seen this one in bits and pieces over the years (specifically the ending) so I’m happy to finally watch it in full for the first time. Especially considering I’m one of those 80’s/90’s kids who grew up watching the animated adaptations of films before the actual films themselves. But I guess the wait was worth it because Beetlejuice is a really fun movie! The set designs and a lot of creature designs are really cool and it just has fun vibes all over. There are a lot of great performances, but naturally the best is Michael Keaton as Betelgeuse (I didn’t know it was supposed to be spelled that way!) There’s some little quirks that bugged me a little, but overall it’s not that big of a deal and Beet, I mean this movie, was very fun.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:
Total: 1/13
New: 1
Rewatches: 0
My Letterboxd list (in progress)

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

committed to 31, but hoping to get through more than that this year.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

2) Sole Survivor (1984)

This has some dreamlike, stylish moments that show its Carnival of Souls influence, and I thought the story was interesting. The main character, Denise, walks away from a devastating air disaster without a scratch, but after that, she keeps running into more danger. She has some scary encounters that her doctor/love interest writes off as survivor’s guilt, and the cops assume she's imagining things. The only person who takes her seriously is a washed-up actress with psychic powers who warns Denise that she and everyone around her are in trouble.

It’s is a slow, atmospheric movie that you may need to be in the right mood for, but I really enjoyed it. It's got some solid performances and some of the scenes have a really cool look. The “chased by death” story has a couple of dangerous coincidences like the ones that show up later in the Final Destination series, but those aren’t the focus. Instead Denise is hunted by the bodies of the recent dead. It’s a cool idea, especially since these zombies aren’t Romero-style shamblers that follow her around because they're hungry. They’re sneaky zombies with a sense of purpose, and that twist on expectations keeps things interesting.

Overall, Sole Survivor is a solid little movie that feels like someone took a 60s or 70s supernatural thriller and then added some dead bodies that are really into murder. It could be a decent fit for fans of stuff like Messiah of Evil or the kind of Italian horror movies that focus more on tension than goop. I liked it more than I expected to, which made sense once I found out it was by the same writer & director of Night of the Comet, which is one of my all-time faves. I wouldn't say this one has quite the same spark as Comet, but what does?

1) The Wind (1986)

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I have a confession to make.

This'll be the eighth year I've watched 31 horror movies. Each year I promise myself I'll post my reviews here, and each year I forget to do it or post a few times and fall off.

The problem is I started off posting five minute reviews on Facebook for my friends and eventually started posting them on a blog because a few of them wanted to be able to reference them year round, and I don't want to bombard you guys with multiple paragraph reviews, so I'm usually less motivated to write shorter reviews specifically for this thread.

I plan on doing the full 31 again this year, but this time I'll try harder to actually post them all here.

1. The Unseen

Three blonde women report on an unreasonably popular Danish festival (the people, not the food) and end up staying with a museum curator because they can't find any other lodgings. They start getting killed by a mysterious being that lurks in the basement.

The movie telegraphs the "twist", but nothing prepared me for just how embarrassing and tone deaf it ends up being.

2.5/5

2. Pet Sematary Two

A kid loses his mom and moves to Maine where he and a new friend ressurect his friend's dog... And a few people.

The first Pet Sematary is low key one of my favorite horror movies, so I knew a sequel couldn't be good. Luckily it seemed like the director knew she couldn't match the original, so she decided to make it completely over the top, cast Clancy Brown as the worst person on earth, and fill it with gore. It's not a good movie, but it's basically just the first film remade in the style of an Evil Dead film, so I was entertained.

3.5/5

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

1) Eating Raoul - 1982 - HBOmax

Personal Story Time: First time meeting my fiance's full extended family at the big Christmas do, and I'm nervous as all hell. I've already hit it off wonderfully with the Taiwanese side of the family, so that helped. But I'm still not sure about the Danish/Irish branch. It's already come up about my love of movies, but they're more into artsy films and social commentary things and I'm the Horror film nut. Seriously, the conversation went like this:

Aunt: So, Sinistrari, I hear you love movies.
Me: Oh yeah. I've burned through VCRs and DVD players with how much I watch.
Aunt: That's a lot of movies. Have you seen Slumdog Millionare? It's so wonderful and inspirational. Positively lifechanging.
Me: ... um.. I've heard of it, haven't seen it since it's not quite my kind of thing. I like Horror movies.
Aunt: ...oh...

I was quietly praying that the Krampus would show up and drag me off.

Dinner comes around and as we're all talking, my fiance's younger sister brings up the time their Mom rented Eating Raoul thinking it was about Spanish restaurants and she's been teased about it since. I spoke up saying I'd seen it and thought it was a really good black comedy. All eyes were on me as if I just farted in church during a quiet moment at High Mass. My fiance's Mom just smiles and says "See, at least she has my side."

That was it, ice broken and once they saw I actually like pickled herring, and passed the akavit test, I was in good standing. However, I still need to work on my ebelskiver skills.

So, story shared and sitting through it again, it's still a pretty good black comedy. Taking into account how many restaurant startup/save my restaurant shows I've sat through, I'm not finding the premise of a couple killing off people to fund their dream restaurant as absurd as I once did. Considering Woronov and Bartel reprise their roles as the Blands in Chopping Mall, it could be argued it's a kinda sorta sequel. There is also a comic book adaptation that someday I'll pick up a copy.

Granted, some of the humor is dated but that can be said about a fair amount of older comedies. I still can't get over how young Robert Beltran was in this. It had to be one of his first roles. Overall, if you like black comedies, I recommend giving this one a go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm in. Like last year my goal will be to do Hooptober 9, HalloweeNIT '22, and Fran's Challenges. A big task but one I've managed. Hooptober is Letterboxd scavenger hunt done every year. HalloweeNIT is a mini tournament I'm running as an offshoot of the Bracketology tournament and movie club we do. If you're interested you can find out about more in the Bracketology thread and you can vote in the tourney to see who moves on and determine what I pools/teams of movies I draw from next. I'm nuts so there will be more but spooky season is underway.

🎃Halloween 2022: Hooptober Neun and HalloweeNIT🎃
First round HalloweeNIT voting stays open until 12 noon EST Oct 5th, all are welcome to vote.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

2. Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers

Well I completed my night 1-Fred Olen Ray double feature with this beauty. Unfortunately I didn’t find this one as charming as Evil Toons. It’s noir parody was more grating than funny. It still has that Ray goofiness and I really enjoyed the opening kill- it’s not often that you see rubber limbs fly in front of a nude-shower-cap-clad-chainsaw-wielding lady who casually tosses the pieces towards her lovingly framed black velvet Elvis portrait.

But it’s a bit hard to be too down on this film, even as Gunnar Hansen flounders around in a robe waving a chainsaw around a room that could be generously described as a “set”. That’s just the Fred Olen Ray way. It loses some shine watching it back to back with one of his films I simply enjoyed more. However, bonus points for the ending confidently setting up, and even naming, a sequel that was never made!

:spooky: 2.5/5 :spooky:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The true faces of horror

The VVitch (Robert Eggers, 2015)

I was feeling kind of lame starting off the month with a rewatch, but I regret precisely nothing. I wanted to drink in a bunch of eerie atmosphere on a cool autumn night, and I got exactly what I wanted. The script is minimal, the plot could be summarized on a business card, but none of that really matters because the screen is dripping with detail for you brain to lap up and try to empathize with a bunch of religious zealots who are afraid of the woods. The VVitch god drat owns and I love Robert Eggers and watching this now might turn into a yearly thing for me, although next year I'll plan ahead and make a bunch of hot mulled cider.

But that's not what I want to highlight. All of the acting is amazing and the casting director should get some kind of award for this, and then also chastised for finding the most annoy pair of kids to ever walk the earth. It's not their fault, it was a necessity of the script, they were just doing their job... but following orders only absolves you of so many sins and these moppets are really loving annoying. It's like having two screenings of The Babadook injected directly into my ears every time those little shits come on screen. And every time someone would accuse Tomasin of witchcraft, I couldn't get the full experience because another part of me was screaming, "Those loving terror-hobbits have been doing nothing but singing little songs they wrote about their black goat because it whispers to them in the night how are you not blaming them first ghjdagkjdga;jfglkasng;djglg!!!!!!"

This is the second time I watched The VVitch and both times I aloud told the screen, "gently caress you," when they died.

9/10 Super Spoopy S-Tier, gonna go stare at the dark woods outside my house and think about how wonderfully quiet my niece and nephew are.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

1. Who Invited Them

Pretty fun take on the "polite home invasion" movie. The core cast is all really good and had a decent twist. Solid B effort

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh hell yeah

I only watched 13 for May this year, and as a result my horror backlog is kind of bananas. I'm going for at least 31, and the only stipulation is I will give each movie my full attention.

#1: Saint Maud (2019)

Maud, a nun and palliative carer, can feel the presence of the Lord all around her, and wants her patient to do so too.
An excellent movie. Shades of Taxi Driver, someone just boiling over inside their own head, mostly unnoticed. Played like a possession movie at times, and I'm not 100% sure it wasn't one. And while I had the ending given away, it was still very effective; sometimes horror movies make burning appear comical, while here it's just so nasty.
Not the most lighthearted movie, if that's what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Franchescanado posted:

I've been on a horror fast for this.

My body and mind are ready.

I've been hoarding horror movies as well in preparation.

I probably won't watch 31 movies but I'm definitely in.