Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My big takeaway from this year's watches is that the old Universal monster movies loving rule. I had avoided them growing up because they just looked too old so I assumed they would be lame, and that impression stuck with me until now. Turns out they're super good, I would recommend any of the four (Dracula, Bride of/Frankenstein, Invisible Man) I watched to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I foolishly already wrote a wrap-up statement into the end of my last review, so just to keep things neat I edited my final list of 51 movies*. But since that'd be annoying for Franchescanado I'm also linking directly to that post here. That way it's still with everyone else's wrap-up instead of hiding 2 pages back where Fran has to go find it.

Thanks again, everyone! This is a really fun thread.

*I uh hosed up counting somewhere in the 30's and went over

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Sneaking in a couple more write-ups before the deadline, again I'm not able to update my bingo card atm I'll get it updated/added to this post later tonight.

23. It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955)

This film was supposed to be about a giant octopus attack but really it's mostly about a strange love triangle. Any scene featuring the It from beneath the sea was gold. The Ray Harryhausen effects were a ton of fun and in a few shots still manage to be convincing. The problem with this film is that there just wasn't enough of the big octopus tearing stuff up. Most of the run time was dedicated to the three main characters strange dynamic and love triangle, well not really a triangle because the scientist man was kinda just dtf and really didn't give a poo poo what the two other people did. Pretty mediocre overall and if you enjoy Harryhausen and camp you've probably already seen this.

bingo: Wild Beasts

24. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

This was a ton of fun. My partner and I watched this on Halloween and instantly starting swooning over Julie Adams and her amazing wardrobe. Unfortunately her character was very much a product of the times. I will say I was impressed that most of the characters did not want to instantly murder the Creature. Maybe it's because I just watched It Came From Beneath The Sea where even the scientists were designing missiles. The scientists aren't all good though, considering their master plan to capture the creature involves poisoning an entire lagoon. Really though the main draw of Creature is definitely the really well done underwater scenes, they're still pretty impressive nearly 70 years later. The actor that played the Creature must have been a great swimmer with an impressive lung capacity. Definitely check this one out.

recap/bingo:

1. Eyes of Fire (1983) | 2. Leptirica (1973) | 3. Witchhammer (1970) | 4. Viy (1967) | 5. Lake of the Dead (1958) | 6. The Dreaming (1988) | 7. Kadaicha (1988) | 8. Celia (1989) | 9. The Wolf Man (1941) | 10. Alison's Birthday (1981) | 11. She-Wolf (1983) | 12. Lokis, a Manuscript of Professor Wittembach (1970) | 13. Clearcut (1991) | 14a. Tilbury (1987) | 14b. Dirt Dauber (2009) | 15. The Demon (1963) | 16. Dark Waters (1993) | 17. A Field In England (2013) | 18. Anchoress (1993) | 19. Penda's Fen (1974) | 20. Robin Redbreast (1970) | 21. Trauma (1993) | 22a. Malcom in the Middle (S7.E4) | 22b. Fraiser (S5.E3) | 22c. Hey Arnold! (S2.E7) | 23. It Came From Beneath The Sea (1955) | 24. Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 2, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Servoret posted:

Oh man, I really want to see this. I loved Innocence and Evolution was also pretty good. But apparently there’s no physical release and it’s not available for streaming in the US? I hope that changes sometime soon.

It's a Mubi exclusive! Mubi's pretty liberal with coupon codes, so it's pretty easy to get cheap access beyond the trial period.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I maintained this in my head but failed to post it until now—just scribbled on it quick and dirty with my finger lol

lightshot

this was fun! I’m glad I did it this year, even if I did show up late; I was lucky enough that the stuff I’d watched beforehand (but after the rules said to begin) slotted fairly easily into existing bingo categories. next year hopefully I can start with a little more direction and block out some more time to allow me to get a lil more deviant

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jolo posted:

9. Pieces (1982) Peacock 3/5
10. Halloween Ends (2022) Peacock 4/5
11. Barbarian (2022) HBO 5/5
12. Waxwork (1988) Tubi 3/5
13. Dark Angel aka I Come In Peace (1990) Youtube 3/5

14. Revenge of the Red Baron (1994) Youtube

Please watch the trailer. You will know if this movie is for you after watching the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzUiyRJ9bLA

An excellent movie to watch with friends and some drinks. Revenge of the Red Baron is a Family Supernatural Horror Comedy. You see that little kid on the cover? Yeah, he's not in the movie. The boy in this movie, Jimmy, is played by 19 year old Tobey Maguire. His grandpa, Grandpa Spencer, is played by Mickey Rooney. Grandpa was a fighter pilot in WW1 who shot down the titular Red Baron. Years later, the Red Baron has returned in the form of a puppet flying a remote control tri-plane to take his revenge on Grandpa, Jimmy, and the rest of the Spencer family. Early on it's a lighthearted family comedy that is rarely funny with Jimmy's grandpa being a kooky old dude. Then it transforms into something closer to Child's Play while keeping the lighthearted family friendly tone. I encourage you to not mouse over this spoiler if you have any inclination to watch this. Prior to the Red Baron coming back to life as a puppet, Jimmy isn't living up to his workaholic father's expectations. I predicted that in the end Father and son will bond by facing a common enemy (a puppet who wants to kill them with a remote control WW1 Fighter Plane). I was way off. In an amazing scene, the Red Baron flies over a swimming pool that Jimmy's father is in and drops a bug zapper into it. Dad's dead.

The movie was written by Michael McDonald from MadTV (not the Doobie Brother) and he has a small role in it. I'd love to hear what he thought this movie would look like tonally because it's written like it's a spin on Child's Play but the tone and direction feel like a Disney Original. One moment it's light and silly, the next you have Tobey acting his rear end off, screaming in anguish after the Baron has gunned down more innocents. The Baron speaks with a cartoonish German accent and has tons of puns. The opening credits look like someone's nephew "who is really good with the computer" whipped them up in a half hour.

It's an incredible movie to watch with friends. It's baffling. It's wonderful. It's on Youtube, you can watch it right now. I recommend it. 5/5

15. Pearl (2022)
I enjoyed X earlier this year and was pretty surprised to see a trailer for another movie that was linked to it. Pearl is a wild whimsical fairy tale gone wrong. It's a really believable descent into madness and I really enjoyed it. Mia Goth does an incredible job of playing Pearl. You're there for her journey even though you know it will not turn out the way she hopes. I enjoyed this one a lot and will have to watch X again soon to spot more of the details. 4/5

That's it! Got my planned 15 in. Love this thread each year!

Jolo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 1, 2022

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Snuck a few more in Halloween night, and getting them posted here before the 2pm EST deadline, but they were watched last night while hiding from scary children.

35. VHS/99 (2022)

I look forward to a new VHS every year, but wanted to wait until Halloween proper to watch it. Like every other installment, there seems to be one really good story (the journey to hell and back was *awesome*), several good, and one that isn't so good, but this overall was very fun to me.

36. The Houses October Built (2014)

That's one great title. A group of Haunted house junkies find themselves pursuing an extreme haunt.... or is it pursuing them? This built up the tension nicely but fell apart at the end with a climax that was basically pitch black and nothing could be seen. It didn't make it more scary, just more confusing. Scary clowns were overplayed even in 2014. This had a lot of potential and isn't terrible but it just didn't hit for me.

This does hit the VHS category! I guess most of VHS/99 did as well, so either would probably count.

37. Pearl (2022)

This was dope. Ti West can get into a zone where he captures a tone perfectly, and this playful golden years of Hollywood tone mixed with Lizzie Borden-esque vibes was amazingly right up my alley to close out my Halloween viewing. This may be my favorite movie of the year.

It's A24, so that may count as Highbrow Horror, but I'm not sure. If it does, that's one more bingo bringing me to 6, otherwise I'm at 5 which ain't bad.

Spooky Bingo

1. Dark Glasses, 2. Monster-A-Go-Go, 3. Mr. Jones (Behind The Screams), 4. Phase IV (Wild Beasts), 5. Calvaire (Zombie Honeymoon), 6. The Mangler (Glitches), 7. Lokis, 8. The Monster (Golden Years), 9. Lily CAT (Spaced Invaders), 10. The Greasy Strangler, 11. Howling New Moon Rising (Full Moon), 12. Orphan: First Kill (They Always Come Back), 13. Der Golem (Paperbacks From Hell), 14. Juan Of The Dead (A Perfect Getaway), 15. Saint Maud (The Devil Made Me Do It), 16. The House That Dripped Blood (Tales Of Terror), 17. Straight Edge Kegger (Punk Vacation), 18. Elvira’s Haunted Hill (Picnic At Hanging Rock), 19. May The Devil Take You (Thrilla In Manilla), 20. The Uninvited 2003 (Femme Fatale), 21. Deadstream (Hausu), 22. Raising Cain (Yuppie Nightmare), 23. The Skull (Osteology), 24. Witchhammer (Something Wicked), 25. Shocker (Masters Of Horror), 26. Halloween Ends, 27. Nope (Horror Noire), 28. Barbarian (Goodnight Mommy), 29. Die Sister Die (Dead&Buried), 30. Nightbreed Director’s Cut (Whispers In The Dark), 31. To The Devil A Daughter (Origin Of Evil), 32. Deep Rising (H20), 33. Lyle (Scream, Queen), 34. Dark Night Of The Scarecrow (Terrorvision), 35. VHS/99, 36. The Houses October Built (VHS), 37. Pearl (Highbrow Horror??)

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I got in two more movies last night and had just enough time at lunch to write a bit about them before the deadline. I'll probably get around to a wrap up post later in the day.

33) The Guardian (2021) :spooky: Challenge: Thrilla in Manila

This is a Vietnamese movie about a backup singer named Ly who gets her big break after the suicide of the pop star she worked with. Ly’s career takes off after she adopts a Kumanthong, a doll that’s said to have a helpful spirit inside. After asking the doll for help, Ly is soon recording in her late mentor’s studio and dating the dead woman’s fiancé. When Ly’s new fame puts her at risk of the same type of scandal that led to the pop star’s death, she turns to her doll for protection.

This was a fun twist on the evil doll subgenre because it didn’t end up where I expected it to. Both the doll stuff and Ly’s guilty visions of her dead friend give things a nicely spooky atmosphere, but one big element of the movie felt too mean-spirited for my taste. Creating a large-scale conspiracy that targets a rape victim for not speaking out against her more powerful abusers was kinda lovely, especially when the dead star also chose not to name names. I enjoyed the movie despite all that because the story was so driven by understandable feelings.

34) Barbarian (2022)

Given the positive reviews, I saved this one for last so I wouldn’t find myself with some total dud on Halloween night. As folks have said, the trailer doesn’t even touch how strange and fun this is. I had a few things spoilered from seeing stuff about it online, and while I wish that hadn’t happened, I don’t think it hurt my enjoyment all that much. It’s got some great performances, interesting themes, and a surprising amount of dark humor. It was also really satisfying in a way I wouldn’t necessarily expect based on a bare plot description.

I loved the awkwardness of the setup, especially the fact that it led these two strangers to think about how different their reactions would be if their roles were reversed. And as a viewer, there was a great moment where I wanted to remind one character that they’d just talked about this stuff once he fell into a predictable pattern.

Overall, this has a great mix of entertainment value and depth, and I want to watch it again after I think about it some more.

1. The Wind (1986) | 2. Sole Survivor (1984) | 3. Blair Witch (2016) | 4. Horror in the High Desert (2021) | 5. The Lurking Fear (1994) | 6. The Chill Factor (1993) | 7. From Within (2008) After Dark | 8. Scalpel (1977) Origin of Evil | 9. Savageland (2015) V/H/S | 10. Dumplings (2004) To Serve Man | 11. Don’t Let Her In (2021) Full Moon | 12. The Spell (1977) TerrorVision | 13. Tremors (1990) | 14. City of the Living Dead (1980) | 15. Smile (2022) Goodnight, Mommy | 16. Hellraiser (2022) They Always Come Back | 17. Halloween Kills (2021) | 18. Deadline (1980) Paperbacks From Hell | 19. Halloween Ends (2022) Zombie Honeymoon | 20. Hell High (1989) | 21. Watcher (2022) Femme Fatale | 22. The Deep House (2021) H20 | 23. The Isle (2019) Picnic at Hanging Rock | 24. Scared Stiff (1987) Hausu | 25. What Lies Beneath (2000) Yuppie Nightmares | 26. The Munsters (2022) Children of the Damned | 27. The Convent (2000) The Devil Made Me Do It | 28. Deadstream (2022) Glitches | 29. Skull: The Mask (2020) Osteology | 30. The Ranger (2018) Punk Vacation | 31. The Pale Door (2020) Something Wicked This Way Comes | 32. Boar (2017) Wild Beasts

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And so we have reached All Saints Day. Halloween is over, time for Thanks-killing!

Here's my list for the month:

1 - Malignant
2 - Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie
3 - The Fly
4 - Holiday Specials (Elvira, Solar Opposites, Adams Family)
5 - Embryo
6 - World's End
7 - Hellraiser
8 - Wishcraft
9 - Evil Dead
10 - The Haunting of Sharon Tate
11 - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
12 - Fright Night
13 - Medusa
14 - Candyman
15 - Dread
16 - Devil Dog: Hound From Hell
17 - Head of the Family
18 - King Kong
19 - Scream, Queen!
20 - Wild Zero
21 - Witches in the Woods
22 - I Bury the Living
23 - The Video Dead
24 - The Haunting in Connecticut
25 - Wrestling Women vs. the Aztec Mummy
26 - Nope
27 - Brightburn
28 - Cannibal Girls
29 - Mandy
30 - The Killing of Satan
31 - Barbarian

Plus bonus movies for the spooky card:
- After Midnight
- The Haunted Strangler
- Fan films to make the shorts
- Hotel Transylvania
- Quicksilver Highway
- The Bone Snatcher
- Prince of Darkness w/ commentary
- The United States of Horror
- Deadly Blessing

Here's the final Spooky card, all filled in:

Movies that were awesome and I can't wait to watch again: Mandy, Nope, Malignant, Barbarian (I saved a lot of the movies I was eager to watch for the end of the month)
Movies that might be what most people would call good, but were wild: Wild Zero (actually cool), The Killing of Stan, Quicksilver Highway (just the segment about the hands, though), I Bury the Living
Movies that were disappointments: The Video Dead, The Fly, Scream, Queen!
Movies that were surprises: After Midnight, Head of the Family, Hellraiser, Sweeny Todd (mainly because I didn't know this recording of the show existed)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

28. Malignant

Well the hype around this one was accurate, what an insane loving film. I don't love everything James Wan does but I will say this- he is using his cache to do some weird poo poo with Malignant and that alone is wonderful.

No way to avoid getting into spoilers here (and you really should go into this blind), but tonally this is one of the most bizarre things I have seen at this budget and mainstream level. It's essentially and action-film with a horror tone throughout. What I absolutely adored about this tone was that it was DEATHLY SERIOUS. Winking, knowing, meta, films can of course be great but to say its been overdone in 2022 is an understatement. Every major blockbuster refuses to take itself to seriously, every superhero movie needs a quip about how silly it is every 20 minutes. Again, that alone doesn't make a film bad. But it was such a relief to see actors give dialogue and exposition that was clearly incredibly silly, but with 100% conviction and seriousness. When we get to the final battle and our main character locks Gabriel in the mind cage, I could not believe how she was saying those lines with a straight face.

Now the real debate is how much as Wan and company in on the joke. I would personally say, a lot. I don't know how they watch this final edit and not acknowledge that what they made is so over-the-top and insane. That mixture of frenetic craziness and earnest presentation really made me love this film. I mean, why can't a goofball bonkers story like this take itself seriously? I know what I am watching is over-the-top, bordering on parody, I don't need to the director to self-consciously remind that its all a joke. I love that sort of faith in the audience to figure it out and just enjoy the ride.

Ok so with that being said, expect the unexpected. Beyond that, this film has some incredible goop and gore, as well as some action scenes that had me pumping my fist. The antagonist of this film is so arresting and should become iconic. It's such a odd-ball film, its not perfect, and the seams of this wacky idea will show on the screen but I had a really fun time. I feel like my rating will increase with multiple viewings.

:spooky:4/5:spooky:

29. Pulse

Waited far too long to watch this one, Pulse is going to be in contention for one of the more unsettling things I watched this month. Describing it has a haunted internet plot, while accurate, doesn't really do the film justice. Moreso its a film about intense loneliness. I was immediately impressed at how Kurosawa was able to take one of the most densely-populated places on Earth and make it so drat empty. Loneliness in a crowded place is a common theme in Japanese films, but this one really nailed it. Every room, every building, every setting is incredibly gray and drab. Except, or course, for a shock of red colored tape.

I know I talked about overusing the term "Lynchian" before but drat how could I not? The idea of spirits traveling through technology (like the use of electricity in Twin Peaks), the way a simple shot of someone (or something) moving just oddly enough where it becomes intensely creepy, the way spirits/ghosts are represented, I felt so much Lynch here. But that's just my reference point- I am sure a lot of people who know more about this film and this culture could fill me in on other influences.

It's scary in a dreadful sort of way. Just lingering dread and hopelessness. It pulls it's punches on those actual scare moments, they are few and far between but when they happen they are so effective. It's also an very sad and mournful film. It really stuck with me. It can certainly be a trying film in that regard. Not an easy watch. As far as the ending I wasn't expecting it to go full apocalyptic but it certainly fit into the theme of people just barreling towards chaos, hopelessly and unceremoniously.

:spooky:4.5/5:spooky:

Ok and my last two films are Halloween traditions I do every year so I will be brief-

30. Beetlejuice
*rewatch

A Halloween tradition that started as a compromise between my wife and I feels more and more like a perfect Halloween film every time I watch it. A great vibe for that special spooky night.

:spooky:4.5/5:spooky:

31. Halloween
*rewatch

Can't imagine a more appropriate film to watch on Halloween. A masterpiece. Cozy fall vibes (with the occasional palm tree in sight lol) are immaculate.

:spooky:5/5:spooky:

Phew that's all folks!

5/5- Return of the Living Dead (1985)*, Exorcist III (1990), Halloween (1978)*
4.5/5 - Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Evil Dead II (1987)*, Nope (2022)*, Pulse (2001), Beetlejuice (1988)*
4/5 - Tales from the Crypt (1972), Deadstream (2022), Prey (2022), Horror Noire (2019), House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, Hausu (1977), Trick r’ Treat (2007)*, Malignant (2021)
3.5/5 - Evil Toons (1992), Waxwork (1989), V/H/S 99 (2022), Popcorn (1991), Dagon (2001), Barbarian (2022), The Fly (1956)
3/5- Ghost Stories (2017), Prisoners of the Ghostland (2021), Glorious (2022), Creepshow 2 (1987)
2.5/5 - Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988), Urban Legends 2: Final Cut (2000)
2/5 - V/H/S: Viral (2014)
1.5/5 - The Killer Shrews (1959)
*=rewatch

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 1, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched all of these films over the weekend or yesterday but have been too busy to post about them until now.

11. Saint Maud (2019)

Bingo square: Devil Made Me Do it
Maud speaks to God and God speaks back. When she gets a job as a live-in nurse for Amanda, a terminally ill choreographer and dancer, she begins to try to turn her patient from a life of hedonism towards the faith.

Although it's a very different film in a lot of ways Saint Maud reminded me of Taxi Driver. Both are films focused solely on one socially isolated and mentally disturbed character where we watch as their delusions build to a gruesome climax.

I liked the brief allusion to poet and artist William Blake when Amanda gives Maud a book of his work. Blake like Maud famously had visions of demons, angels, and even God himself was fiercely but idiosyncratically religious. Which I think shows a lot of insight on Amanda's part that she was able to identify the same elements in Maud.

I like that the film never makes it quite clear if Maud's revelations and visions are real or imagined although I lean towards there not actually being any supernatural elements as everything supernatural shown is through her point of view. The brief glimpse of her actually burning to death in horrific pain in the final scene strongly suggests that it was indeed all in her head.

12. Village of the Damned (1960)

Bingo square: Children of the Damned
All inhabitants of the small English village of Midwich suddenly fall unconscious for several hours. When they wake up all the young women are pregnant and a few months later all give birth to unusually intelligent blonde children.

I really liked the opening where the camera slowly moves around the village in slow panning shots in almost complete silence with people just laying around and it hadn't yet been revealed if they were dead or just sleeping. I also love the part when the incident is first discovered and the army starts experimenting to try and figure out how the affect works first by putting a canary in a cage and slowly moving it on a long pole closer and closer to town to see when it gets knocked out and a soldier trying basically the same but with a rope tied around him so his comrades can pull him back if he faints.

The children themselves are amazingly creepy in a very understated way. Them all dressing the same and having the same hair makes them seem less like individuals and more like a swarm of some sorts. Almost like the complete anthesis of a zombie horde where you have a huge group of blank slates with no personality and no intelligence working mindlessly towards the single purpose of consuming flesh here you have a small group of blank slates with no personality but massive intelligence working intelligently towards a single purpose. What that purpose is exactly and what the origin and nature of the children is never made explicit but it's implied that they intend to take over the world. David, the lead child, mentions establishing colonies but nothing much beyond that.

There's a lot going on in this film with themes of generational struggle and fear of the younger generations supplanting us but I think that obviously the moral of the film is that blonde people are evil.

13. Barbarian (2022)

Bingo square: Goodnight Mommy
A woman travelling for work arrives at her Air BnB only to find out that it has seemingly been double booked and another guest is already there. Having no place else to go she decides to stay anyway.

A movie so tense I felt genuine physical discomfort at times, something I don't recall having experienced since I saw Don't Breathe when it came out, and I was lying in bed watching it on a small screen. If I had actually seen this in a theater I imagine my heart would've exploded.

I don't want to say too much because this film is quite a ride that needs to be experienced as blind as possible and also because I think I still need to digest the film for a bit longer.

and that's it.

Just barely managed a single bingo:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Might as well do a definitive wrap up post to make things easier.

Okay, since I had so much popping up in close to Halloween, I called it a skosh early. I did the minimum 2 films a day, did a complete cover the card on Spooky Bingo. Every film I reviewed this go was one I hadn't reviewed before in the October or May challenges. Since I did have some films pop up that I was certain I'd reviewed before but actually hadn't, my starting prep for the next challenge is making the new watchlists. Again, this was just wonderful mad fun. I enjoyed reading the various reviews, and Scream Stream was incredible fun as always. I'm already looking forward to next year's.

Films watched:

1) Eating Raoul - 1982 2) The Last Winter - 2006 3) The Seed - 2021 4) The Munsters - 2022 5) The Orphan - 2009 6) Orphan first kill - 2022 7) Nope - 2022 8) Antlers 9) Barbarian - 2022 10) Hereditary 11) Mad Room 12) Cabin Fever 2016 13) House of Bones - 2010 14) Halloween Specials 15) Reflecting Skin 16) Good Son 17) Morbius 18) Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2022 19) Assorted Shorts 20) Tales from the Crypt: Ritual - 2002 21) Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th 22) We're All Going to the World's Fair 23) Last Night in Soho 24) Salem's Lot - 1979 25) Lumberjack Man 26) Dark Glasses 27) Sideshow 28) Island Claws 29) Hollywood in the Atomic Age 30) Night of the Creeps 31) Zombie Town 32) Caroushell 2 33) One Hour Photo 34) Living Skeleton 35) Macabre 36) Deep House 37) Green Room 38) Satanic Panic 39) Carnivore: Werewolf of London 40) Hantu Kak Limah 41) The Sadness 42) Deadstream 43) Malevolent 44) Day Shift 45) Maggie 46) Hellraiser 2022 47) The Invitation 2022 48) The 8th Night 49) A Classic Horror Story 50) Blood Red Sky 51) The Mansion 2017 52) The Silence 53) One Missed Call - 2003 54) One Missed Call 2 - 2005 55) Him - 2016 56) Swamphead - 2011 57) Horrific 2000 58) Beg - 2014 60) Seventh day 61) Valley of the Dead 62) Ouija 63) Ouija: Origin of Evil 64) Army of the Dead 65) Cannibals and Carpet Fitters 66) #captured 67) The Trees Have Eyes 68) Choose or Die 69) Block Island Sound 70) The Binding 71) The Swarm 72) The Dead One 73) Prey 74) Smile 75) 21 days 76) House on Straw hill 78) All Hallows Eve 79) All Hallows Eve 2 80) Terrifier 81) Terrifier 2 81) Black Phone 82) Bad Candy 83) Last Matinee 85) Fried Barry 86) Fingers 87) Where the Scary Things Are 88) Slices of Life 89) Splatter Farm 90) Return to Splatter Farm 91) Garden Tool Massacre 92) Camp Blood 93) Camp Blood 2 94) Camp Blood first slaughter 95) Camp Blood 4 96) Camp Blood 5 97) Camp Blood 666 98) Camp Blood 7 99) Ghost of Camp Blood 100) Camp Blood 8 101) Children of Camp Blood 102) Night Slaves 103) Allegoria 104) Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 105) Halloween Ends 106) V/H/S 99 107) My Best Friend's Exorcism - 2022 - 108) Resident Evil Welcome to raccoon city 109) The Amityville Harvest (2020) 110) An Amityville Poltergeist (2020) 111) Witches of Amityville Academy 112) Amityville Island 113) Amityville Vampire 114) Amityville Cop 115) The Amityville Moon 116) Amityville Cult 117) Amityville Scarecrow 118) Amityville in the Hood 119) Studio 666 120) Willy's Wonderland 121) Slaughterhouse Rulez 122) Lantern's Lane 123) People across the Lake 124) Rabid 1977 125) The Exorcist 126) Lemora, Child's Tale of the Supernatural 127) Spirit Halloween 128) Only Lovers Left Alive 129) Ghosts of Mars 130) Lifeforce

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

56. Halloween is Special

Hey Arnold - Arnolds Halloween

Probably my favorite of the bunch of halloween tv specials. I loved the orsen welles shout outs and just how silly this was that the kids could turn "new york" into a land of panic off some home made costumes and jerry-rigged satellite setup.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - Hex and the Single Guy

Goofy, funny and light. Despite being reminded that Hillary lost her fiance because of a freak bungie accident where he got turned into a pancake (while funny is still incredibly morbid for a family comedy, but still very funny) its still a great episode. All the costumes are hilarious and Carlton admitting Macully Culkin is his personal hero is still hilarious. Good stuff.

Community - Epidemiology

Held up better than I remember. I was pretty deep into Community for the first like 2 seasons and a half and then I just stopped watching it out of disinterest, but this was pretty dang good.

The Simpsons - Treehouse of Horror V

The best of the Treehouse of Horror IMO. That Shining parody is pitch perfect and honestly probably the best adaptation of it all around. I will not be taking arguments at this time.

57. Hellraiser [1987]

It's Hellraiser, it's the best.

58. The Hidden - Origin of Evil

Now this one took me by surpsise. I was expecting to kinda half heartedly enjoy it, but its a straight up slobber knocker of a movie from minute one and really gets cooking at the end too. Just everyone here firing on all cylinders totally buying into the concept that I wont spoil here, but its a lot of fun and an underseen gem.

59. Saw IV

I really goddamn hated this movie. It got two stars purely because that head smash was kinda cool.

60. The Beyond

A Fulci that I was putting off for awhile for some reason. Definitely not my favorite of his, but there's so much to like about this movie from the graphic deaths (of course) and the weird atmosphere of the entire movie works entirely, but the script is a mess and I had to look at wikipedia to totally follow what was happening here. I enjoyed it nonetheless and really enjoyed the dog.

61. V/H/S 99

Kind of a letdown with this one. Not as egregiously bad as Viral, but I dunno the VHS series isnt really as a whole holding up to the conceit of its premise. Like I get wanting to go forward to play with new tech and settings, but there's just something missing overall. This has some good shorts though, my favorite being the web cam and the demonology shorts. Thankfully the wrapper isnt all too bad, but again not the worst VHS by a long shot, but also not near the top of the first two movies. Solid.

62. V/H/S 94

Pretty good in retrospect, but goddamn the wrapper is a big contender for the worst up against Viral's terrible travelling ice cream truck demon thing. Just bad. Good shorts though, still really enjoy the Timo one.

63. Sequence Break

I kinda just watched this one on a whim and I thought it worked real well. Maybe shaving a bit here and there for runtime and just like getting into the story a whole lot quicker, but its a neat little first movie for this director who I think has some good ideas in there, but he needs a proper editor and someone to tear apart the script a bit first before shooting starts. I really liked the visuals in the game/cabinet world and the goopiness was drat good.

64. The Deadly Spawn

The best thing is the puppet. You're asking to just sit through pure drudgery for like 80+ minutes and then you get the cool rear end puppets and the really awesome ending, but otherwise man, what a sleeper of a movie.

65. Friday the 13th - Whispers in the Dark

Watched this with the recent We Hate Movies commentary and its a crack-up. The UHD also looks incredible. Still a great movie, not my favorite F13 by a long shot, but its still very solid and we wouldnt be here without it.

66. Cure

What a flick! Just real goddamn good. Everything was pitch perfect and you're gripped from minute one of this whole thing. Even if I could tell what was going on by the second victim it was all so captivating to wtach and you could see where Hannibal got all of its influences from so simply and easily. Just incredibly well done on every level. I am really looking forward to revisitng this one in the future and digging into the criterion's extras.

67. [REC]

I picked up the boxset because it was on sale and I figured it was time I finally sit down and watch all four of these movies. The first one is still a gem and a classic. Exciting and thrilling and one of the best found footage flicks to date.

68. They Live

Poignant as always, effectively simple and smart as well as just like you can't beat that fist fight. Not for all the CGI and The Rocks in the world are you ever going to beat the Nada and Frank back alley brawl. It's pure.

69. [REC]²

A strong follow up to the first REC, but maybe a little hinky around the edges in retrospect. It makes sense to keep it as a continuation of that same night, but then I think it gets muddied by throwing in kids into the mix. Could've just made the initial group a bit bigger. I also hated that no one is really grasping to just shoot these zombies to poo poo, but everyone has to pause for exactly 30 seconds each time in each zombie encounter and act sad. Like just shoot the drat thing, what happened to the protocol where if you're bit you're dead. That bugged me because that happens every goddamn time. Just annoying.

70. Cat People [1982] - They Always Come Back

I love Paul Schrader and I loved this movie. It's lurid and horny as hell, but its always effective because there's a heart at its core that carries it along so well. Maybe a tad bit long, but it honestly earns some of it because the visuals it decides to hang on are so great to look at and that soundtrack is spellbinding. Great picture. Really need to pick up that UHD that dropped recently.

71. [REC]³ Genesis

Despite having the same scores I enjoyed this one a lot more than I did 2. The setting is fun, they drop the found footage conceit after the first 30 which was a great idea! late title card, gotta love it, but this one felt especially mean and cruel just considering the location, but in a fun way. Like goddamn what rotten luck, but its still a pretty badass story with some great gore effects. A bit too long, but I was engaged the entire time.

72. Caveat

An extremely sad piece, but an effective one that really burrows under your skin in a way that it latches onto your muscle and stays there for a long time. Just really effectively done horror and tension.

73. Saw V

the best one since uh, the first one I think? I dunno, they're all really blurring at this point into a mash of body parts and terrible scripts. That first one feels so long ago, I would have rather been trapped in that bathroom than have sat through the last 3 movies, but here I am at 5 and uh. welp. time to keep going.

74. The Kindred

What a goop mess of a movie. Like That ending is just KY city dyed black and its really just messy and fun. Still highly recommended. Just a weird weird movie.

75. Crawl

What a bonkers movie and its so tightly constructed with very little fat on the cut that I would've given them an extra 10 minutes just to keep playing with the tension some more or just give me more Berry Pepper. I'm always ok with some extra Peps.

76. [REC]⁴ Apocalypse

Not very good, too long, nothing really made much sense and it was also just a really ugly to look at movie. What a letdown because the REC series up until now was not too bad at all. This one has some merits by retying everything back up and tying up loose ends, but its just such a dour movie with not a lot going for it.

77. Ænigma

I kept putting off watching this one, but ended up digging it in the same way I dug The Beyond. I think the sum of its parts overall work, but its the script again that really let this one down. The kills are good and the effects were good. Its a lean time as well which I appreciated.

78. You Are Not My Mother - Something Wicked This Way Comes

Really really really enjoyed this one. Just straight up creep city from top to bottom and its all very effective. The actors knew how to buy in completely and it was really enjoyable to dig into and watch unravel. Just expertly paced and without hitting you over the head repeatedly got across its message very well. I dug this one a lot and am glad I finally got to it.

79. Crimes of the Future

I still love this movie. I know why people have their issues with it and fine, but man there's something to this one that I think is being dismissed too quickly. It's really really goddamn effective and I also love the discussions around art and its importance/influence/future. It's so infused in this art scene thing that I wanted more time in this world.

80. The Endless

My second favorite of the Benson/Moorehead bunch. I think this definitely builds off of what we get in Resolution, but with a much clearer idea of how these relationships work and how to bring that into this very crazy world they've built. It's effective in what it wants to do and smart as well. The whole cult poo poo was just so well done and when pieces start to reveal themselves you feel that sense of discovery and its not just "well here it is", but more like youre right there too discovering it yourself.

81. It [2017]

Still too long, but the dynamics between the kids and that plucky adventure spirit in the movie just carry it all the way. Skarsgard is still extremely effective as Pennywise and the child murder is frankly still very shocking, but I'm glad they didnt hold back. It just needs a trim to be honest.

82. Dead Ringers

Loved this one. Was a part of the Cronenberg pack of movies I still havent seen, but I'm glad I finally did because everything about this movie as effective. Irons completely nails it playing these two twin brothers and you can see shades of him in Tatiana Masalaney in Orphan Black. He knows exactly how to play these two well enough that you can question if he really is a twin and no one ever divulged this news from the production. it's probably talked about enough in Cronenberg discussions, but I'd easily put it in his top 5 of all time.

83. Skinamarink

This one got under my skin. Like real badly. I havent been able to let loose some of the images in my head that this movie sunk deep into some places. It also really brought up a bunch of childhood memories. Like you remember how the world felt so big as a kid, the physical space you were in and how you could catch all these odd angles as a child just because of your height and ability to get into tight spaces and peak around. the world felt more collapsible and wonderous, but also in the dead of night the moonlight would turn your entire world into a nightmare. all those familiar daytime shadows were turned evil. the shapes created in the dead of night would activate your already overactive imagination into overdrive and completely wrecked how you would see the world around you. Everything stretched in odd and terrifying ways. That's what Skinamarink manages to do with its extremely hot 8mm color footage using just the glow of the tv casting shadows that move in ways that are threatening and malevolent. All these odd angles, sparse dialogue exchanges between the siblings, the disappearance of their father and the doors and windows in their home. It's all crushingly nightmarish, but also like a bad hallucination. One of the best movies I've seen this year.

84. It Chapter Two

Too long, but I still dig the comrarderie and the adventure genre this film engages in throughout. It just needed a whole lot of fat trimming and to just get to the point quicker. A messy film with a good heart, but like a lot of Stephen Kings works its just kinda doomed to not be an adaption that's fully successful. It's the nature of the beast.

85. Saint Maud

I still realy love this movie quite a bit. It's lean and knows exactly the kind of story its telling and the lead actress is so goddamn good and does the unraveling so well. One of my favorites from last year and still just as good when I first saw it.

86. Terrifier 2

I waited long enough for a closer theaterical run to a hotly anticipated sequel and it didnt disappoint. Yes its quite over indulgent, but I feel like Art has earned that now. Terrifer felt like Performance and VFX showcase already, but now we're really getting into the meat and potatoes here. Art is still the cruel monster that he is, but now the world is expanding and the comical nature of the gore just goes to the next level that it feels like an adult EC Comic. The runtime could've been trimmed, but I dont think it fully needed it. It's loud, mean, fun and the gore is top notch. It's just nice to have like a slasher that feels like a slasher again. The aduience reaction was next level as well. People hooting and hollering and have a ball with the entire movie and then there was the middle aged woman rushing out of the theater clutching her stomach and catching herself on the wall of the theater as the bathroom scene in the back half of the movie really started to get into it. Hell of a time.

87. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

A madcap classic and looks loving amazing on UHD.

88. Synchronic

Yeah not the best of the Benson and Moorehead pictures, but there is something especially horrorfying of family into the past dependent on your location, but I think it works quite well in the full scope of their entire movie run. They're always hinging on these relationships with people always strained, but there's a core to them that the people involved want to keep by any means necessary and I think that's what keeps all their movies intact regardless of the quality of the overall production. This still has that if not stilted a bit by the script and pacing issues.

89. Saw VI

Just a real piece of crap. There's some at least creative kills, but my patience is wearing thin with this series. Just downhill.

90. Audition

Just beyond creepy and the building suspense is a nail biter. You can tell things are slightly off after the audition, but its this slow boil of anticipation of what does all this mean, but then the culmination of all those days before really hits and you're left gobsmacked by what her true intentions are. Miike usually is so outlandish in his style that its nice seeing him be reserved again.

91. Saw 3D

loving christ what a poo poo movie. Zero draculas. gently caress this piece of poo poo.

92. Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare - Terrorvision

I remember this one as a kid very vividly and it definitely didnt hold up to my memories, but I still have some reverence to a young Ryan Phillipe shooting up bee hives with a long rear end barreled shotgun and a teenager flashing truck drivers in the middle of nowhere. It's a goofy movie made during the height of the "killer bees are coming to america to kill all of your family, rob your 401k and take over the country" and the end credits calling to politcal action to get you to stop the killer bee invasion is just a wonderful capper to this.

93. Killer Nun

I liked how goddamn psyhco-sexual this one was. It just felt like such a strange trip and definitely not like any of the nuns I knew as a kid. There's something to this movie though that works really well and it all hinges on our lead and how well she buys into it all which she does totally and completely.

94. In Fabric

I wanted to really like this one a lot more than I did. It had such a great premise and really felt good in some spots, but it slowly started to unravel up until the end (which I did enjoy quite a bit), but its length just didnt help. This could be a tight 80-90 minute movie and really have knocked peoples socks off, but there's just so much bloat here that I kept checking my phone.

95. Jigsaw

I didnt hate this one, but I didnt fully like it either, but at least it actually LOOKED like a movie and not a below budget CW show. The ending is quite something I guess, but it still felt like a slog to get through at 90 minutes. yeesh.

96. Castle Freak

This was a tidy little story that was effective and creepy in all the right ways. I hadnt seen this one before, but the tone felt very throwback to the 50's horror castle features, but with a healthy dose of t&a and lots of blood. Very creepy and still has those hall marks of a Stuart Gordon production with all its nasty sexual violence.

97. Watcher - Femme Fetale

What an awesome capper for the month. Just really thrilling and gut punching and leaves you without breath for most of the film. there's this great bubbling tension just all over the place. the husband is believable because what do you really do with this information as him? its not like you dont believe her, but there's so many factors at play. moving to a new city with no one besides your partner as your conduit is rough and does mess with your head, but just how far does that go? Just a terrific way to end the month, what a treat!

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 1, 2022

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

My big takeaway from this year's watches is that the old Universal monster movies loving rule. I had avoided them growing up because they just looked too old so I assumed they would be lame, and that impression stuck with me until now. Turns out they're super good, I would recommend any of the four (Dracula, Bride of/Frankenstein, Invisible Man) I watched to anyone.

That's my big lesson this year too. I tossed on Invisible Man '33 just to check a box and it immediately jumped into maybe my top 10 movies ever, not even just horror, but in general. So loving good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shocker

Horace Pinker is a serial killer on the loose. Johnathan Parker is a young man who can see Pinker’s crimes in his dreams. John learns he’s Pinker’s long lost son. Pinker makes a deal with the devil before his electrocution to become an electric ghost and continues his murderous spree through tv land.

Feels like Craven remaking Nightmare on Elm Street but more ridiculous and over the top. Even the end with them dragging Pinker in a tv loop instead of out of the dreams with Freddy is very similar too. Just a really funny and over the top slasher.

3.5/5

Jungle Trap

A group of jungle explorers are in search of a treasure. They stay at a hotel that’s supposedly haunted. Soon, they meet the native spirits that try to ward off anyone seeking their artifacts.

Kinda lame, but pretty goofy too. Ultra low budget sov horror. Great synth soundtrack and some so bad it’s good performances, but mostly kind of boring.

2/5

A Quiet Place

We follow a family trying to survive in a world that’s been overrun by creatures that hunt by sound. Anything more than a whisper could result in them killing you. Their youngest boy dies after playing with a loud toy they found while scavenging. Their daughter, who is deaf, feels a lot of regret for giving him that toy. Sometime later, they must fend off the creatures while the mother is about to have another child.

A perfectly paced movie. The first have feels slow and moody and right before you feel it’s dragging, all the action kicks in and it becomes a tension filled thrill ride. I really like the ingenuity on display on how they have to live now. Good emotional moments too. Exposition can be a bit clunky.

4/5

Society

Bill feels like an outsider in his upper class Beverly Hills family. Strange things keep happening too that make it seem his parents and sister are into some incestuous relationship. But it keeps getting weirder when it seems even the girl hitting on him from out of nowhere has a mailable body. What strange things are really happening to the high society of Beverly Hills.

An amazing slow burn creeper with an absolutely wild finale. Some incredibly creative and gross practical effects too. The social commentary on display is on point and still relevant. Great blend of hilarious and disturbing.

5/5

The Killer is One of Thirteen

A widow invites thirteen friends to stay a weekend at an estate. She believes one of them actually murdered her husband instead of it being an accident. As more accusations begin to fly, the guest list dwindles as they are picked off by the mystery murderer.

A decent murder mystery story. The setting and distinct 70s style make it pretty fun. I had trouble keeping track of the large ensemble cast. Most feel inconsequential to the story. Guess they really wanted it to be thirteen suspects.

2.5/5

You’re Next

It’s a big family get to get her to celebrate the anniversary for the parents. Their adult children don’t always get along, but when a group of masked assailants start picking them off one by one, the come together with one of their fiancés taking charge. Her father was a survivalist and now she’s putting her training to the ultimate test.

A very clever take on the home invasion sub genre. There are times where it feels like the invaders are the ones being hunted instead. Couple of good twists and turns that will make rewatching really fun.

4/5

King Kong Escapes

The Evil Dr Who (no relation) has built a Mechani-Kong to mine rare minerals in the North Pole. The radiation there shorts the robot, so he needs the real Kong to finish the job. The try to hypnotize Kong, but it fails. They capture a pretty lady he’s infatuated with to try and get him to mine the minerals. That only angers Kong so Dr Who deploys Mechani-Kong and they brawl in Tokyo.

A fun kanji film. The costume isn’t the best I’ve seen. I guess making big lizards is easier than mammals. The plot didn’t hook me that much, but maybe I just watched it on a bad day. I was amused at Rankin-Bass providing the dubbing and hearing some familiar voices from their holiday specials.

2.5/5

The Funhouse

The carnival is in town. The father of big sister Amy and little brother Joey forbid them from going to the sleazy fair. Amy goes with her friends anyway and Joey sneaks out. Amy’s friends decide to spend the night at the funhouse attraction and witness a murder. Now they must try to escape the funhouse as the killer knows they witnessed his murderous acts with the help of his father.

Just a neat monster slasher. There’s a lot of build up, but the carnival setting is really fun. It feels dangerous before and real murder happens. Joey doesn’t get much to do. Kinda feels like extra to fill the run time. Tobe Hooper usually makes a good looking film and this is no exception.

3.5/5

VHS 99

Shredding
Four friends in a band go to an abandoned building where their idols, Bitch Cat, played their final show before being caught in a deadly fire. They prank the one friend, but it looks like the spirits of Bitch Cat are restless.

Weakest entry. Cool idea, some cool meta tape possession stuff going on. Execution is kinda poor and breaks the found footage immersion.

2/5

Suicide Bid
Lily is desperate to join a sorority and agrees to be buried in a coffin over night. The other girls never intend to keep her in there long, but when it starts raining and the cops come, they bolt and leave her for dead.

I like Lily and she kind of succeeds in her dreams at the end. Love a good ironic twist to some villains. Probably the most realistic scares; small spaces, spiders, and drowning.

3/5

Ozzy’s Dungeon
A kids game show has a challenge go wrong and disables a child. Sometime later, the mother kidnaps the host and demands the prize, one wish granted by Ozzy.

Really fun concept and great music for the game show. Ending was kind of ho hum tho. Would love to see Flying Lotus make a full feature in stead of just anthology stuff.

3.5/5

Gawkers
A bunch of horny teenagers are spying on their sexy neighbor. The one kids little brother befriends her and helps her set up her computer. He installs a spy camera on her computer for his brother, but they discover her dark secret.

Cool monster you rarely see in horror. Not much else going on. Just real simple and fun.

3.5/5

To Hell and Back
It’s New Year’s Eve before Y2K and a cult plans to summon a demon. The videographer for the event accidentally gets sent to hell with his friend and they must now try to escape with the help of Mabel the Skullbiter.

Best segment, maybe best in VHS history. Very unique and funny and looks great. Mabel is the best. Joseph Winter is two for two in hilarious and scary stories this year.

5/5

Overall, great entry. Starts weak, but gets better with every entry.

4/5

X

In the 70s, a group of amateur film makers rent a little house to make a porno. The elderly wife of the land owner wanders out at night and makes sexual advances towards some of the crew. She murders them after they refuse and her husband is complicit in finding her sexual gratification since he’s too old to get it up. Now they must try to escape the psycho sexual murder farm.

Just fun. It feels that perfect blend of skeevy and classy. Well shot, but filthy as can be. Mia Goth as both the young Maxine and old Pearl acting against herself is really great.

4/5

Dark Night of the Scarecrow

A little girl is best friends with an adult man with a learning disability, Bubba. Some of the townsfolk a suspicious of him. When the girl is hurt, they immediately assume it was Bubba. They shoot and kill him when he’s hiding in a scarecrow. Turns out, the girl is fine. She was attacked by a neighbors dog. Now a scarecrow is haunting the vigilantes as they mysteriously die, one by one.

This is too good for a TV movie. It’s not the most well shot thing, but it still looks great. It’s surprisingly dark at times and a little mean. Of course all the kills are pretty much bloodless, but there’s some gruesome implications. I love how ambitious the supernatural element is for most of it.

4/5

House

Roger is a successful novelist estranged from his wife after their son disappears. He stays in his aunts house after she committed suicide to try and write his latest story about his time in the Vietnam War. He’s haunted in his dreams by his memories of the war and during the day by the gruesome monsters that appear to live in the house. He must conquer his fears and regrets and maybe even find out what happened to his son.

There’s a lot going on here. Lots of great laughs but also a lot of heart. William Kat is very likable as Roger. The monsters and ghosts look so drat cool. Big Ben should be more iconic than he is. Definitely under appreciated horror comedy classic.

4/5

Uninvited

A little kitty cat has escaped from a medical lab. It has a monster car inside of it who’s bite will make your blood boil and your heart explode. The cat winds up being adopted by a lady before she gets on a yacht belonging to big time millionaire crook, Walter. Now out in the middle of the sea, the cat wreaks havoc on the crew. Can they escape!?

What a ridiculous concept. There’s the same cat sound played over and over, just in case you forgot there’s a cat. The monster cat puppet isn’t terrible, but looks hilarious. It’s a very silly movie and does an okay job at keeping things fun.

3.5/5

Zombi 2

A boat wanders into New York Harbor. It has a zombie on board! The daughter of the boats owner goes to the remote island it was last seen and discovers a doctor researching zombies. Now they must all escape the island alive.

Real simple plot. Lots of good goopy effects. Great grindhouse fodder. Not too interesting though beyond that.

3/5

Creature from Black Lake

Two college students are interested in the Bigfoot legend. They interview some towns folk and eventually camp out. But the Bigfoot is stalking them and doesn’t like intruders.

Real boring one. Barely any Bigfoot. Most of it is pretty uninteresting drama between the two men.

1/5

Arachnophobia

Researchers find and ancient species of spider. It bites and kills one of them and he’s sent back home in a coffin. However, a spider stows away and is now wreaking havoc on a small town after cross breeding with a normal spider.

Shout out to the spider actors and animatronics. It’s really cool what they get them to do. Couple of great laughs and it has that kind of Spielberg shine to it. A lot of the plot elements fall into place just perfectly.

4/5

gently caress the Devil

An evil spirit born from a video tape of The Evil Dead possesses a man and makes him go on a killing spree.

Real fun, no budget murder fest. It’s just a bunch of German horror hounds making a goofy little movie. Fun music.

4/5

#77.5
gently caress the Devil 2: Return of the Fucker

The fucker is back! He continues his spree even though he got decapitated.

Yeah. It’s just more fucker and it’s still good. Just go watch these. They’re so fun.

4/5

The Witch Who Came From the Sea

Molly is a troubled alcoholic obsessed with her dead sailor father. She starts acting erratically by getting tattoos, sleeping with strange men, and killing people she sees on TV. Her world is crumbling around her as her repressed memories of her father come to light.

A bizarre and often dream like horror-drama. Acting is pretty solid and really holds this up. The plot can feel a little incomprehensible at times. Decent vibing movie.

2.5/5

The Demons of Ludlow

An old piano winds back in the town of Ludlow for its founding day celebration. However, the piano is connected to dark and supernatural secrets of the town. Ghostly colonial apparitions begin to terrorize Ludlow.

It’s basically The Fog but worse. It does have some cool kills and effects though. Kinda fun.

2.5/5

The Gorgon

To keep it real simple, it’s basically Dracula but it’s a Medusa instead of a vampire.

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are excellent. Love the Hammer style. It’s quite lush and atmospheric. But yeah, it’s just kinda Dracula with a gorgon instead.

3/5

Dark August

A man, Sal, trying to find peace in a small town accidentally kills another man’s daughter. The father curses him and now he’s being stalked by mysterious figures.

J J Barry as Sal is great. He’s very Italian. The whole movie has a great feel about it, but I can barely remember much of it, so it didn’t leave much of an impression.

3/5

Horror of Dracula

It’s Dracula! But all the normal main characters die and it’s mostly a duel between Van Helsing and Drac.

Cushing and Lee at it again. Very gruesome at times. I like how it changed quite a bit from the normal Dracula tale.

4/5

Friday the 13th (with commentary)

A bunch of kids get picked off one by one at a summer camp. You know the story.

Commentary was pretty lame. They kept hyping up F13 as being a deep story with horror elements but it’s actually a pretty lame film to be honest. It gets a little worse every time I watch it.

2/5

The Innkeepers

It’s the last week for a formerly grand hotel. One of the innkeepers becomes obsessed with the supposed hauntings.

A decent creepy ghost story. Wasn’t a fan of Sara Paxton. Don’t know if it was the direction or her performance, but it didn’t click. The movie has a terrible score. It’s for the wrong movie. Feels like it’s stuck between a big r rated horror and a fun pg family spookfest.

3/5

It Chapter One

Kids keep disappearing in Derry, Maine. A group dubbed the Losers Club try to solve the mystery and the sinister clown connected to it, Pennywise.

I loved the kid actors. They all did a really good job. Movie looks excellent and there’s a lot great disturbing scares. CGI isn’t always the best, but still works.

4/5

The Dead Zone

Johnny gets in a car accident and awakens from his coma with the ability to see into people’s past, future, and present. He uses the ability to help solve a crime, but ultimately seeks seclusion as an English teacher. However, he crosses paths with a politician who he sees is supposed to start WWIII. Will Johnny be able to stop him?

Really good stuff. Walken is always amazing. Cronenberg is subdued here in comparison to his other work in the 80’s but it’s still shot perfectly. The big moral dilemmas it presents are excellent too.

5/5

Barbarian

A woman tries to stay at an Air BnB but its already occupied. They reluctantly spend the night together. The next day she discovers a tunnel in the basement and signs of someone who’s been hiding in the house.

The movie twists and turns a lot but it’s always hilarious and haunting. Some amazing scares and great gross out moments. Lots of good editing too. May loose it’s shine on multiple viewings.

4/5

It Chapter Two

The Losers Club are all adults, but Pennywise has returned. They must confront their past and defeat the creature once and for all.

Not as good as the first. The casting is perfect though. It’s way too long and the reoccurring flash back do not help pacing. Maybe should have been three parts instead?

3/5

We’re All Going to the Worlds Fair

Casey is a young girl obsessed with horror. She joins an ARG style game called the World’s Fair challenge and documents her “changes”. She befriends another player, and equally lonely middle age man, who asks her to keep uploading. But her gets concerned as her videos grow more disturbing. Is it still just a game?

I don’t know what to make of this. I can tell there’s deeper meaning here, but I’m either the wrong demographic or too dumb. What I can appreciate is how it looks. Its a fun blend of traditional and more found footage like with the fake YouTube interface and Skype calls. I’m sure this is one I will appreciate more with time.

3.5/5

Perfect Blue

A Japanese pop idol is ready to break free and become a solo artist. Her agents keep pushing her to become a big time actress. A mysterious stalker is also documenting her every move on a blog. Her fears and regrets manifest as a delusion of her former idol self. Now people connected to her new acting career are dying. Is it her, or someone who’s obsessed with her.

An anime psychological thriller. Feels a lot like if Brian De Palma watched a lot of Sailor Moon. It can feel frustrating at times trying to figure out what is real and what is delusion, but it all comes together in a fascinating way. Definitely one I want to watch again and again.

5/5

Phantom of the Opera 1925

It’s phantom thon! A creepy man stalks the Paris theater and threatens people if one particular woman he likes doesn’t sing in the opera.

It looks incredible for a silent film. Lon Cheney is really going for it since he’s all covered up in this. The coloration techniques, especially that ballroom sequence is so cool. The makeup as well is instantly iconic.

4/5

Phantom of the Opera 1943

Yeah, same basic plot.

I love Claude Rains. This month has made me love him. This production is beautiful. The colors and production is absolutely beautiful. This is the defining interpretation in my book.

5/5

Phantom of the Opera 1962

Hammer’s interpretation of the story.

This winds up being the most sympathetic phantom. I was really rooting for him in this one. Michael Gough is an amazingly devious villain in this too. See, we don’t need Cushing and Lee to have a good Hammer horror.

4/5

Phantom of the Paradise

The strangest interpretation yet. Borrows a lot from the story of Faust and Portrait of Dorian Grey as well.

Who knew little old Paul Williams could be such a great evil villain. Brian de Palma’s direction is all its own. Its wild and over the top and Dramatic. Songs are great. Sometimes it can feel like its getting away from itself at times.

4.5/5

Phantom of the Mall

It’s phantom in a mall. Less singing, more plots about land development.

Very fun interpretation of the story. The phantom costume evokes the classic while staying modern. I guess the phantom flip flopping between hero and villain is expected, but didn’t really fit for this story. Also, Paulie Shore.

3/5

Phantom of the Opera 1989

It’s Freddy Krueger phantom! This one has a framing device of it all being a flash back.

Love Robert England. Much more horrifying than any other version. Kinda sucks though.

2.5/5

Phantom of the Opera 1998

Argento’s Opera.

Phantom is like a weird Ratman here. The CGI is atrocious and laughable. Did not like this one bit.

1/5

Scooby Doo On Zombie Island

Scooby and the gang get back after a long hiatus looking for real monsters. They find them in a haunted plantation

Amazing animation. Some real disturbing poo poo for a kids movie. The mystery itself is kinda meh.

4/5

Halloween 3

A doctor investigates a mask making company with pagan roots

An underrated classic finally getting it’s due. Some real disturbing stuff in this one. Cundey does another amazing job here.

4/5

Coco

A boy goes against his families wishes and wants to be a musician. He steals a guitar and is cursed to the land of the dead. He must discover his love of his family and his family will discover the power of music

I cried so much. Beautifully animated.

5/5

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 1, 2022

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

pospysyl posted:

It's a Mubi exclusive! Mubi's pretty liberal with coupon codes, so it's pretty easy to get cheap access beyond the trial period.

Oh, excellent! Thanks!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absolutely agog at some of these numbers. loving hell, well done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think my favorite new-to-me movie this year was Frankenstein 1970. I've seen most of the great Karloff showcase movies so discovering a new one was awesome.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Wrap-up post:

I logged 32 films here, which was mostly my Hooptober list with a couple of substitutions. Penda’s Fen was actually the best thing I watched for Hooptober, so good that I watched it twice in a row, which I almost never do with a movie. But a review of it here was so good it put me to shame, so I substituted in Dawn of the Dead (1978) instead. And I watched Time Masters, which turned out not to be horror even remotely, so I substituted in Dead & Breakfast for that.

I watched plenty more horror in October than these 32, but I figured dropping one not very good write-up in this thread per day was more than enough.

1. The Mysterians (1957) - 2.5/5
2. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) - 3.5/5
3. Crypt of the Vampire (1964) - 3/5
4. Rasputin, the Mad Monk (1966) - 3/5
5. I Eat Your Skin - 2/5
6. She Killed in Ecstasy (1971) - 2.5/5
7. Naked Lunch (1991) - 2/5
8. The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972) - 2/5
9. Fantastic Planet (1973) - 4.5/5
10. Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 5/5
11. The Giant Spider Invasion (1975) - 2.5/5
12. Creature from Black Lake (1976) - 3/5
13. Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976) - 3/5
14. Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare (1987) - 2/5
15. My Friends Need Killing (1976) - 3.5/5
16. Ants (1977) - 2/5
17. Dead & Breakfast (2004) - 2.5/5
18. Alison’s Birthday (1981) - 3/5
19. Death Game (1977) - 3.5/5
20. Ogroff (1983) - 3/5
21. Dead Man’s Letters (1986) - 3/5
22. The Haunted Cop Shop (1987) - 3/5
23. Baxter (1989) - 3/5
24. Lady Terminator (1989) - 3.5/5
25. Spontaneous Combustion (1990) - 2/5
26. Howling: New Moon Rising (1995) - 0.5/5
27. Event Horizon (1997) - 2.5/5
28. The Janitor (2003) - 2.5/5
29. Carrie (2013) - 2/5
30. The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga (2014) - 4/5
31. Resurrection (2022) - 3.5/5
32. Braindead (1992) - 4/5

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
More than passed my goal of 31, and managed to fill out the entire bingo card even though I didn't plan on doing that. All first time watches except for Cat People which I watched for the commentary challenge.

Favorites: Eyes of Fire, Mystery of the Wax Museum, Lisa and the Devil, Petey Wheatstraw

Least favorites: The Rats are Coming! The Werewolves are Here!, Fulci for Fake

It was a good time as always, so thanks Fran. The best part is all the new movies I want to check out based on other people's reviews!

Total: 43
Watched: The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane | Extraordinary Tales | You Won't Be Alone | Eyes of Fire | The Munsters | The Snake Girl and the SIlver-Haired Witch | TV Specials | Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! File 01 - Operation Capture the Slit-Mouthed Woman | Deadstream | The Black Phone | Hellraiser (2022) | Smile | Mystery of the Wax Museum | Petey Wheatstraw | Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! File 02: Shivering Ghost | I Was a Teenage Zombie | Halloween Ends | Short Cuts | Salem's Lot | Lisa and the Devil | Captive State | Tiny Cinema | The Stepfather | A Return to Salem's Lot | I Saw the Devil | The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! | V/H/S/99 | Cat People | Stay Alive | Penda's Fen | Witchhamer | The Skeleton Key | Fulci for Fake | Manhattan Baby | Lake of the Dead | The Ranger | The Gravedancers | May the Devil Take You | Eaten Alive | Studio 666 | Anthropophagus | 47 Meters Down | You Are Not My Mother

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Wrap-Up for October Horror Challenge 2022

1. Saw [2004]
2. V/H/S [2012]
3. Smile [2022] - The Devil Made Me Do It
4. The Fog [1980]
5. Dark Glasses [2022] - Masters of Horror
6. Hellraiser: Bloodlines [1996]
7. Resolution [2012]
8. Trick or Treats [1982]
9. Shakma [1990] - Wild Beasts
10. Mosquito [1994] - Spaced Invaders
11. Night Feeder [1998] - To Serve Man
12. Freaks [1932]
13. Humanoids from the Deep [1980] - H2O
14. V/H/S 2 [2013]
15. Army of Darkness [1992]
16. May [2002] - Zombie Honeymoon
17. The Den [2013] - Glitches
18. Bad Candy [2020] - Tales of Terror
19. Spring [2014]
20. All My Friends Hate Me [2021]
21. V/H/S: Viral [2014]
22. Dog Soldiers [2002] - Full Moon
23. Deadstream [2022]
24. Ouija [2014]
25. Hellraiser [2022]
26. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island [1998]
27. Fender Bender [2016]
28. The Thing [1982]
29. Prince of Darkness [1987]
30. The Bees [1978]
31. Child’s Play 3 [1991]
32. Saw II [2005]
33. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning [2012]
34. The Return of the Living Dead [1985]
35. Roadgames [1981] - Highbrow Horror
36. I Know What You Did Last Summer [1997]
37. Scream [1996]
38. Uninvited [1988] - A Perfect Getaway
39. Man Bites Dog [1992]
40. Amer [2009]
41. Tremors [1990]
42. The Stepfather [1987] - Yuppie Nightmare
43. Challenge - Short Cuts
44. Saw 3 [2006]
45. Scream 2 [1997]
46. Resurrection [2022] - Goodnight, Mommy
47. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives [1986]
48. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood [1988]
49. Halloween Ends [2022]
50. Hell House LLC [2015] - Hausu
51. Cabin Fever [2002]
52. Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel [2018] - V/H/S
53. Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire [2019]
54. Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan [1989]
55. Siege [1983]
56. Challenge - Halloween is Special
57. Hellraiser [1987]
58. The Hidden [1987] - Origin of Evil
59. Saw IV [2007]
60. The Beyond [1981]
61. V/H/S 99 [2022]
62. V/H/S 94 [2021]
63. Sequence Break [2017]
64. The Deadly Spawn [1983]
65. Friday the 13th [1980] - Whispers in the Dark
66. Cure [1997]
67. [REC] [2007]
68. They Live [1988]
69. [REC]² [2009]
70. Cat People [1982] - They Always Come Back
71. [REC]³ Genesis [2012]
72. Caveat [2020]
73. Saw V [2008]
74. The Kindred [1987]
75. Crawl [2019]
76. [REC]⁴ Apocalypse [2014]
77. Ænigma [1987]
78. You Are Not My Mother [2021] - Something Wicked This Way Comes
79. Crimes of the Future [2022]
80. The Endless [2017]
81. It [2017]
82. Dead Ringers [1988]
83. Skinamarink [2022]
84. It Chapter Two [2019]
85. Saint Maud [2020]
86. Terrifier 2 [2022]
87. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 [1986]
88. Synchronic [2019]
89. Saw VI [2009]
90. Audition [1999]
91. Saw 3D [2010]
92. Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare [1995] - Terrorvision
93. Killer Nun [1979]
94. In Fabric [2018]
95. Jigsaw [2017]
96. Castle Freak [1995]
97. Watcher [2022] - Femme Fetale

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The alarm I set failed me. I was hoping to get one or two more than this but at least i manage to irk out 4 more in the end here, with less than 30 minutes left.

14. Prince of Darkness (1987)

Nice to see Dennis Dun and Victor Wong in this, seems this was released a year after Big Trouble in Little China. Victor and Pleasence's acting makes up for the lacking male lead. There is a throughline of homosexuality throughout this. At first it seems like some throw away lines that feel like typical 80s gay panic jokes, but later we have a devil conversion scene with lesbian imagery and Dennis gets trapped in a closet and is afraid of two women. Read that people oft read the movie as an analogy for AIDs, well that makes a lot of sense.

15. Black Sunday (1960)

OK I have like 6 minutes to write the rest of these so these are about to get way shorter. Beautiful dream like quality to this. The masks are some stark imagery. Evil seductive women are my favorite horror motif.

16. Green Room (2015)

Incredibly tense. I love dogs but I always have a fear of a big dog just ripping my throat out and oh boy, this sure played to that. I like CCR too main guy.

17. Evil Dead (1981)

As manic as they say. Funnily enough I have actually seen bits of the Evil Dead tv show because Sean Clements wrote for it and I am a fan of his podcast so I watched some of it without seeing any the movies. So it was interesting to see Ash not be the total rear end in a top hat he is there. Poor guy!

Prince of Darkness gives us The Devil Made Me Do It, Black Sunday Something Wicked This Way Comes, Green room is ofc Punk Vacation, and Evil Dead has a remake giving us They Always come back

which means i have a last second bingo

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Wrap up post: 27 total movies, just outside of the goal of 31.

Non-challenge films watched:
The Invitation 2022
Halloween 2018 (Rewatch)
Halloween Kills
Halloween Ends
Barbarian (Rewatch)
Ghost of Yotsuya 1959
The Sixth Sense (Rewatch)
Island of Lost Souls
The Evil of Frankenstein

Spooky Challenges:
Halloween Is Special - Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
Golden Years - The Spiral Staircase, 1946
Hausu - House on Haunted Hill, 1959
Paperbacks From Hell - The Invisible Man Appears
Highbrow Horror - Jigoku
Masters of Horror - The Fog
Scream, Queen! - The Old Dark House, 1932 - James Whale
Horror Noire - Ganja & Hess
The Devil Made Me Do It - The Exorcist
Glitches - Mr. Harrigan's Phone
Punk Vacation - Psychomania
Something Wicked This Way Comes - I Married A Witch
They Always Come Back - Hellraiser 2022
Picnic At Hanging Rock - Twins of Evil
Zombie Honeymoon - Kiss of the Vampire
Goodnight, Mommy -Nightmare, 1964
Spaced Invaders - Space Amoeba
Full Moon - Ginger Snaps

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Wrap Up List:

1. Everyone Will Burn (Children of the Damned)
2. Nightsiren (Perfect Getaway)
3. The Third Saturday in October Part V (Picnic at Hanging Rock)
4. The Third Saturday in October (Horror Noire)
5. Give Me An A (Femme Fatale)
6. Mike Mignola: Drawing Monsters (Behind the Screams)
7. Flowing (Goodnight Mommy)
8. VHS '94 (Thrilla from Manilla)
9. Razzenest (The Devil Made Me Do It)
10. Vivarium (Zombie Honeymoon)
11. Prince of Darkness (Masters of Horror)
12. Piggy
13. The Untold Story (Origins of Evil)
14. Bliss (Punk Vacation)
15. Deadstream (Glitches)
16. The Blob (They Always Come Back)
17. Spring (To Serve Man)
18. The Funhouse (Something Wicked This Way Comes)
19. Something in the Dirt (Scream Queens)
20. Mother Superior: Dweller of the Threshold
21. The Beyond (Hausu)
22. Society (Yuppie Nightmares)
23. Tremors (Dead and Buried)
24. The Golden Glove (Paperbacks from Hell)
25. Fat Girl
25. All Jacked Up and Full of Worms
26. V/H/S/99 (V/H/S)
27. Assorted Horror Shorts (Short Cuts)
28. Creepshow (Tales of Terror)
29. In the Mouth of Madness
30. Smile
31. The World is Full of Secrets
32. Paganini Horror
33. The Snake Girl and the Silver Haired Witch
34. Ozone
35. FleshEater: Revenge of the Living Dead
36. Day of the Dead (Halloween is Special)
37. The Invisible Man (The Golden Years)
38. Castle Freak (Full Moon)
39. Earwig (Highbrow Horror)

I decided to strike out Fat Girl because it really isn't a horror film, but I still had another Zombie Honeymoon movie.

All told, that's 39/31 horror movies, 37/31 if we exclude the rewatch and the shorts compilation.

Favorite Movie: In the Mouth of Madness
Least Favorite Movie: Either Ozone or Vivarium.

My favorite part of this exercise was glancing through all the writeups and observing how diverse all the opinions on each movie were. Even some classics got a lot of heterodox takes, so there was a lot to think about.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 1, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Star Ratings Approximate:

1. The Lady In White **1/2
2. Mad God ****
3. Meat Cleaver Massacre **
4. Wolfen *** (Origin of Evil)
5. The Video Dead **1/2 (Terrorvision)
6. Nightmare Weekend WTF (Glitches)
7. Maniac (2012) ** (They Always Come Back)
8. Frankenweenie **** (Children of the Damned)
9. Nightbeast *1/2 (Spaced Invaders)
10. Plan 9 From Outer Space ****1/2 (re-watch)
11. Ginger Snaps ****1/2 (Femme Fatale)
12. Shock Waves **** (H20)
13. The Company of Wolves ****1/2 (Dead and Buried0
14. Hideous! ** (Full Moon)
15. Prince of Darkness **** (Masters of Horror)
16. Hellraiser (2022) ****1/2
17. Diary of a Madman **** (Picnic at Hanging Rock)
18. Deadstream ****1/2 (Hausu)
19. Asylum ***1/2 (Tales of Terror)
20. Stage Fright ***1/2
21. The Editor **** (Behind the Screams)
22. Doctor Cyclops **** (Golden Years)
23. The Oracle **
24. Demon Rage * 1/2 (The Devil Made Me Do It)
25. Brain Damage *** (Highbrow Horror)
26. Lair of the White Worm **** (Paperbacks from Hell)
27. The Mummy’s Hand **1/2 (Goodnight Mommy)
28a. Werewolf by Night **** (Halloween is Special)
28b. Frasier 5.3, “Halloween”, ***** (rw) (same)
28c. WCW Halloween Havoc 1989 **** (same)
29. Rituals ***** (A Perfect Getaway)
30. Frightmare **
31. Zombie **** (rw)
32. Mystery of the Wax Museum ****
33. House of Wax (2005) **
34. Daughters of Darkness *** (Scream, Queen)
35. Mary, Mary, Bloody Mary *** (Zombie Honeymoon)
36. The House on Sorority Row ****
37. The Black Cat ***1/2
38. Phenomena ****1/2 (Whispers in the Dark)
39. Lake Mungo ***** (After Dark)
40. Ravenous ****1/2 (To Serve Man)
41. Halloween ***** (rw)
42. Satan’s Storybook * (V/H/S)
43. Skull: The Mask ***1/2 (Osteology)
44. Day of the Dead ****1/2 (rw)

Best new to me: Lake Mungo, Rituals is close behind.
Worst: Satan's Storybook
Nicest surprise: Company of Wolves
Biggest disappointment: House of Wax (Not that my expectations were high, but it kept consistently missing opportunities to be good.)
Best Good-Bad Time: Nightmare Weekend

Once again a very fun, very packed October. I maybe went too hard in on the Bingo, didn't leave myself enough time to watch some of the old faves but I'm not gonna complain about discovering a bunch of cool movies I might not have watched otherwise. Also ended up with way longer reviews than I expected, that's just my nature. Thanks so much to Franchescanado for setting all this up and running it, and giving us all a good opportunity to talk about movies we watched. I hope people enjoyed reading my meanderings. Until next year!

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 1, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Happy Halloween Hangover, Everyone!

I've been very busy these past few days (and my reviews definitely suffered). The Halloween season was another success!

I'm proud of everyone who met their goals, but even if you didn't, I'm happy you participated.

It'll take me some time to compile everyone who participated and met their goals, and completed a SPOOKY Bingo. So keep your eyes on this thread for some announcments when I've finished compiling all that info.

Thank you everyone for making Halloween extra special with all your spooky write-ups!

:spooky:

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

My goal was 13 films and I watched 31.

1. Beetlejuice
2. Near Dark
3. The Howling :spooky: Full Moon
4. Two Evil Eyes :spooky: Masters of Horror
5. Hail to the Deadites :spooky: Behind the Screams :
6. The Return of the Living Dead (rewatch) :spooky: Halloween Is Special (rewatch safe)
7. Barbarian :spooky: Goodnight, Mommy
8. Hereditary
9. Psycho Goreman (rewatch)
10. Cat People (1942) :spooky: Golden Years
11. Cat People (1982) :spooky: They Always Come Back
12. Hocus Pocus 2 :spooky: Something Wicked This Way Comes
13. Grindhouse :spooky: Tales of Terror
14. Dead & Buried :spooky: Dead & Buried
15. Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog :spooky:Children of the Damned
16. Critters :spooky: Origin of Evil
17. Scanners :spooky: Highbrow Horror
18. Predator :spooky: Spaced Invaders
19. Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein :spooky: Paperbacks From Hell
20. The Amityville Horror (1979) :spooky: Hausu
21. Us :spooky: Horror Noire
22. The Birds II: Land’s End :spooky: TerrorVision
23. The Thing (1982) (rewatch) :spooky: Whispers in the Dark (rewatch safe)
24. Juan of the Dead :spooky: A Perfect Getaway
25. Eating Raoul :spooky: To Serve Man
26. Messiah of Evil :spooky: Femme Fatale
27. The Deadly Spawn
28. Night of the Comet
29. Night of the Demons (1988) :spooky: The Devil Made Me Do It
30. Blood Feast
31. A Bucket of Blood

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wrap-Up!

Watched Movies
1) Men (2022)
2) The Ninth Gate (1999)
3) The One I Love (2014) [Zombie Honeymoon]
4) House of 1,000 Corpses (2003)
5) The Handmaiden (2016) [Paperbacks From Hell]
6) The Deep House (2021) [Hausu]
7) Hellraiser (1987)
8) Mayhem (2017)
9) Glorious (2022) [The Devil Made Me Do It]
10) Werewolf by Night (2022) and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) [Halloween Is Special]
11) The Belko Experiment (2016)
12) Chopping Mall (1986) [Glitches]
13) Children of the Corn (1984) [Children of the Damned]
14) Deadstream (2022) [V/H/S]
15) Candyman (2021) [Horror Noire]
16) Backcountry (2014) [Wild Beasts]
17) Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021)
18) Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988)
19) Debug (2014) [Spaced Invaders]
20) The Hills Have Eyes (1977) [To Serve Man]
21) Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)
22) Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996)
23) An American Werewolf in London (1981) [A Perfect Getaway]
24) The Company of Wolves (1984) [Dead & Buried]
25) The Wolf Man (1941) [Golden Years]
26) The Wolfman (2010) [Picnic At Hanging Rock]
27) The Invisible Man (1933) [Highbrow Horror]
28) Halloween Ends (2022)
29) Watcher (2022) [Femme Fatale]
30) The Ranger (2018) [Punk Vacation]
31) Gretel and Hansel (2020) [Something Wicked This Way Comes]
32) Skull: The Mask (2020) [Osteology]
33) The Invisible Man (2020)
34) The Broken (2008) [After Dark]
35) Dog Soldiers (2002) [Full Moon]
36) Threads (1984) [TerrorVision]
37) They/Them (2022) [Scream, Queen!]
38) One Cut of the Dead (2019) [Behind the Screams]
39) The Black Phone (2021)
40) Day of the Dead (1985) [Masters of Horror]
41) X (2022)
42) Beast (2022)
43) Gatlopp: Hell of a Game (2022)
44) Orphan (2009) [Yuppie Nightmare]
45) The Rift (1990) [H2O]
46) Orphan: First Kill (2022) [Goodnight, Mommy]
47) Alien³ (Assembly Cut) (1992 / 2003) [Whispers in the Dark]
48) Hellraiser (2022) [They Always Come Back]
49) Significant Other (2022)
50) Resurrection (2022)
51) The Night House (2020)
52) The Devil’s Rejects (2005)
53) Salem’s Lot (1979) [Origin of Evil]
54) The Babadook (2014)
55) Mad God (2021)
56) The Medium (2021) [Thrilla In Manila]
57) Trick 'r Treat (2007) [Tales of Terror]

Made it through 57 this year, which is definitely a personal record, and much more than the 31 I'd set as the challenge. Also completed the entire bingo card:

Top 10 (in watch order): Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988), An American Werewolf in London (1981), The Invisible Man (1933), One Cut of the Dead (2019), Day of the Dead (1985), X (2022), Alien³ (Assembly Cut) (1992 / 2003), The Night House (2020), The Babadook (2014), Mad God (2021)

Bottom 5 (also in watch order): Children of the Corn (1984), Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021), Debug (2014), Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992), Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996)

Happy with how this year turned out overall. Watched a lot of good things, and even a lot of the bad movies offered something interesting.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jolo posted:

Revenge of the Red Baron (1994) Youtube

Is that a German WW1 Plane gunning down civilians in the suburbs while Mickey Rooney looks on?

I urge you to click my quoted post and read more about Revenge of the Red Baron, an unforgettable Supernatural Family Horror Comedy film. I watched several great movies this month but none were more memorable than Revenge of the Red Baron. It is available in its entirety on Youtube and once you've seen the trailer you'll know whether or not it is your poo poo or not. It was extremely my poo poo.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Spooktober 2022, summarized:

1. The Fly (1958) ***
2. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) ****
3. The Purge (2013) *.5
4. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) ***
5. The Blob (1958) **
6. The Black Hole (1979) ***.5 Spaced Invaders
7. The Vigil (2019) ****.5 The Devil Made Me Do It
8. Harpoon (2019) **.5 Zombie Honeymoon
9. The Brain (1988) *** TerrorVision
10. Penda's Fen (1974) ****.5 Scream, Queen!
11. An American Werewolf in London (1981) ***.5 A Perfect Getaway
12. Breakdown (1997) ***.5 Yuppie Nightmare
13. Hellraiser (2022) **.5 They Always Come Back
14. Bulbbul (2020) ***.5 Femme Fatale
15. Hocus Pocus (1993) ***.5 Something Wicked This Way Comes
16. Village of the Damned (1960) ***.5 Children of the Damned
17. All My Friends Hate Me (2021) ***
18. Carnival of Souls (1962) **** Highbrow Horror
19. Savageland (2015) *** V/H/S
20. Cat People (1942) *** Golden Years
21. Last Night in Soho (2021) *** Picnic at Hanging Rock
22. Hunter Hunter (2020) *** Goodnight, Mommy
23. Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977) ***.5 Dead & Buried
24. Coma (1978) **** Glitches
25. Evil Dead Trap (1988) ***.5 Origin of Evil
26. Tales of Terror (1962) ***.5 Tales of Terror
27. Night of the Living Dead (1968) ****.5 Masters of Horror
28. This Is the End (2013) **** Whispers in the Dark
29. Planet of the Vampires (1965) ** Paperbacks from Hell
30. Berberian Sound Studio (2012) *** Behind the Screams
31. Night Tide (1961) ***.5 H2O
32. Ritual (2012) .5 Thrilla in Manila
33. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) **
34. House (1977) ****.5 Hausu
35. The Devil's Backbone (2001) *** Osteology
36. Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo! (2022) ***
37. Reincarnation (2005) ** After Dark
38. I Bury the Living (1958) ****.5
39. I Saw the Devil (2010) ***.5 To Serve Man
40. Dog Soldiers (2002) **.5 Full Moon
41. Mom and Dad (2017) **.5
42. Anaconda (1997) ** Wild Beasts
43. Army of the Dead (2021) **.5
44. The Blair Witch Project (1999) ****
45. The Final Destination (2009) **.5
46. Wild Zero (1999) *** Punk Vacation
47. Wendell & Wild (2022) ***
48. Videodrome (1983) *****
49. Tales from the Hood (1995) ***.5 Horror Noire
50. Barbarian (2022) ***
51. Clearcut (1991) ****.5

Plus for Halloween is Special:
-It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) ***.5
-Muppets Haunted Mansion (2021) ****
-Werewolf By Night (2022) ***.5
-A Sinister Halloween Scary Opposites Solar Special (2022) ****

And for Short Cuts:
-Betty Boop's Hallowe'en Party (1933) **
-Swing You Sinners! (1930) ****
-Vincent (1982) ****
-Winston (2017) ****.5
-Death Buy Lemonade (2010) ****
-Juliette (2016) **
-Lonesome Ghosts (1937) ****
-The Surrogate (2020) **.5
-La Noria (2018) **.5
-The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949) ***

All totally new to me except for This Is the End, which I watched with a commentary track that was new to me.

Rounding up some interesting data points:

:spooky: Favorite Film of the Month: Videodrome. Classic for a reason!

:spooky: Hidden Gems: Clearcut, Penda's Fen, and I Bury the Living. All films I really enjoyed that are obscure according to Letterboxd popularity. They're also all very talky and dialogue-driven, which says a lot about my tastes.

:spooky: Heretical Opinion: Exorcist II: The Heretic has the lowest average Letterboxd rating of anything I watched in the challenge at 2.0 out of 5, but I liked it just fine, putting it at an above average 3.5.

:spooky: Studying the Classics: Night of the Living Dead and The Blair Witch Project were the biggest filled gaps for me. Going by how popular they were this year, next year I should dive in on the old Universal monster movies.

:spooky: On Average: 3.196 was my average star rating out of 5, so data-wise, this was objectively a fun month of film-watching!

Big thanks to Fran for organizing this thread and providing the Spooky Bingo challenge, which I absolutely loved. My filled card at the end of the month:

:spooky: The End... UNTIL NEXT YEAR! :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHkqgKMBDc

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Congratulations to everyone who finished! Unfortunately, some real-life horror meant I had to abandon mission partway through the month, but I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.

Also a big 'screw you' to whoever said something good at some point about Halloween at Aunt Ethel's and got me to add it to my letterboxd watchlist, where it sat like a landmine until a few weeks ago.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I made it to 35 movies and finished 4 bingo rows this year, which was only possible because I powered through a ton of stuff in the first week of the challenge.

My favorites from the new-to-me pile were Horror in the High Desert, Savageland,, Dumplings, and Watcher. I'm also pretty firmly in the Halloween Ends Rules camp. The biggest surprises were Sole Survivor, Deadline, The Guardian, and Barbarian. Thankfully there were only a few things on the list that I flat-out didn't like, and even those had some redeeming qualities. A lot of these movies could have been better, but sometimes it's just as interesting to think about how a movie missed the mark and what could have improved it.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to write up reviews; I put together a pretty long watchlist based on some of your picks. And thanks to Fran for organizing and getting the bingo cards out so early!

1. The Wind (1986) | 2. Sole Survivor (1984) | 3. Blair Witch (2016) | 4. Horror in the High Desert (2021) | 5. The Lurking Fear (1994) | 6. The Chill Factor (1993) | 7. From Within (2008) After Dark | 8. Scalpel (1977) Origin of Evil | 9. Savageland (2015) V/H/S | 10. Dumplings (2004) To Serve Man | 11. Don’t Let Her In (2021) Full Moon | 12. The Spell (1977) TerrorVision | 13. Tremors (1990) | 14. City of the Living Dead (1980) | 15. Smile (2022) Goodnight, Mommy | 16. Hellraiser (2022) They Always Come Back | 17. Halloween Kills (2021) | 18. Deadline (1980) Paperbacks From Hell | 19. Halloween Ends (2022) Zombie Honeymoon | 20. Hell High (1989) | 21. Watcher (2022) Femme Fatale | 22. The Deep House (2021) H20 | 23. The Isle (2019) Picnic at Hanging Rock | 24. Scared Stiff (1987) Hausu | 25. What Lies Beneath (2000) Yuppie Nightmares | 26. The Munsters (2022) Children of the Damned | 27. The Convent (2000) The Devil Made Me Do It | 28. Deadstream (2022) Glitches | 29. Skull: The Mask (2020) Osteology | 30. The Ranger (2018) Punk Vacation | 31. The Pale Door (2020) Something Wicked This Way Comes | 32. Boar (2017) Wild Beasts | 33. The Guardian (2021) Thrilla in Manila | 34. Barbarian (2022)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched a couple of more movies last night but was too burnt out to review them. I’m wiped but I had a great time and thank Fran and everyone else for helping make it another great October. I don’t read every review because who could but I like scrolling through them and seeing reactions and what movies stand out. As usually my watchlist is longer than it was at the start of the month and I’m already planning what to knock off before Bracketology in January and what to do for the May Halfway. But right now I’m just happy to not “have” to watch a movie. I’ll try and do a recap later.

Basebf555 posted:

I think my favorite new-to-me movie this year was Frankenstein 1970. I've seen most of the great Karloff showcase movies so discovering a new one was awesome.

It’s a lot of fun. If you haven’t seen Mark of the Vampire I’d recommend it as a kind of similar vibe where Bela and Browning have fun with the Dracula idea. I think of those two and Spider Baby as kind of unofficial epilogues for the Universal films. Just the stars having fun in quirky movies.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Managed to get some extra in there as well as a bingo. What a good halloween. It was once again great to read everyone’s reviews throughout the month.

Totals posted:

OCTOBER 2022 HORROR CHALLENGE
#1 Aliens, #2 10 Cloverfield Lane, #3 Friday the 13th: Part 2, #4 Friday the 13th: Part 3, #5 Dark Glasses, #6 The Green Knight, #7 Alien 3, #8 Leprechaun 2, #9 Garfield’s Halloween Adventure/Simpson’s Treehouse of Horror XII & XIII, #10 The Rave, #11 Vampyr, #12 The Mummy (1932), #13 The Wolf Man, #14 The Invisible Man, #15 Piranha 3D, #16 Maniac, #17 Frankenweenie, #19 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), #19 Short Cuts (Meowy Halloween/Muppet Haunted Mansion, Geometria), #20 Deadstream, #21 Deep blue Sea, #22 Halloween H20, #23 Halloween Resurrection, #24 Crimes of the Future, #25 The Color Out of Space (2010), #26 Child’s Play (2019), #27 The Woman in Black, #28 Willard, #29 Halloween (2018), #30 Hallween Kills, #31 Halloween Ends, #32 A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge, #33 A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors, #34 Nope, #35 Scream Queen!, #36 Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo!, #37 The Ranger, #38 Little Shop of Horrors, #39 Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, #40 Night of the Living Dead

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Summary post time! I had initially pledged to watch and review 31 films; I ended up with 42 by the end, so I surpassed my initial number by almost a dozen. (Apparently the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything is John Carpenter's Halloween... which is as good an answer as any, I suppose.) I also ended up with 6 complete SPOOKY lines for this year's Bingo challenge, doubling my total from last year (and spelling out DOOKYS, which seemed important at the time). So, all in all, I'd say this ended up being a very successful year for me.

Title and challenge breakdown is below. Anything bolded was a first-time watch, anything italicized was a rewatch of a title I hadn't seen in at least 5 years, and anything underlined was seen in a movie theater.

01) The Empty Man - 3/5
02) Hocus Pocus 2 - 2/5
03) Smile (2022) - 2/5
04) It Came From Outer Space (SB: Golden Years) - 3/5
05) Watcher (SB: Femme Fatale) - 5/5
06) The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (SB: Goodnight Mommy) - 2/5
07) Bats (SB: Wild Beasts) - 1/5
08) Choose or Die (SB: Glitches) - 3/5
09) The Curse of the Werewolf (SB: Full Moon) - 2/5
10) "Werewolf By Night"/various Halloween episodes (SB: Halloween is Special)
11) The Thing From Another World (SB: Spaced Invaders) - 3/5
12) Hellraiser (2022) (SB: They Always Come Back) - 3/5
13) Knife + Heart (SB: Scream, Queen!) - 3/5
14) A Nightmare on Elm Street, Part 5: The Dream Child - 2/5
15) The Innocents (1961) (SB: Hausu) - 4/5
16) The Bone Snatcher (SB: Osteology) - 1/5
17) The Blob (1958) (SB: Highbrow Horror) - 3/5
18) Friday the 13th (2009) - 3/5
19) We're Going to Eat You (SB: To Serve Man) - 3/5
20) various shorts (SB: Short Cuts)
21) Waxwork (SB: Dead & Buried) - 1/5
22) Halloween Ends (SB: Zombie Honeymoon) - 4/5
23) The Revenge of Frankenstein (SB: Picnic at Hanging Rock) - 3/5
24) Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (SB: Tales of Terror) - 3/5
25) The Thing (1982) (SB: Whispers in the Dark) - 5/5
26) Hotel Transylvania: Transformania (SB: Children of the Damned) - 4/5
27) Bait (2012) (SB: H20) - 3/5
28) Elvira's Haunted Hills - 3/5
29) God Told Me To (SB: Masters of Horror) - 3/5
30) Birth of the Living Dead (SB: Behind the Screams) - 3/5
31) Alligator (1980) - 3/5
32) Halloween: H20 - 2/5
33) Them! - 3/5
34) My Best Friend's Exorcism (SB: Paperbacks from Hell) - 3/5
35) The Ranger (SB: Punk Vacation) - 3/5
36) Night of the Creeps - 5/5
37) Sissy (2022) (SB: A Perfect Getaway) - 3/5
38) Blade - 5/5
39) The Final Destination - 2/5
40) Deadstream - 4/5
41) Resurrection (2022) - 4/5
42) Halloween (1978) - 5/5

And the final score breakdown looks like this:

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: = 5
:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: = 5
:ghost::ghost::ghost: = 20
:ghost::ghost: = 7
:ghost: = 3

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t read every review because who could but I like scrolling through them and seeing reactions and what movies stand out.

I always start off trying to read every review but goons are machines and before long it’s like 50+ new reviews every time I check the thread. I do try to at least read reviews for anything I haven’t heard of.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ratings breakdown:
10/10: American Psycho (2000)

9/10: Alice, Sweet Alice (1976), The Thing (1982), Pulse (2001), Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Final Chapter (2015)

8/10: Blood and Black Lace (1964), The Brood (1979), Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988), Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989), The Vagrant (1992), The Lawnmower Man (director's cut; 1992), Dark Water (2002), P.O.V. - A Cursed Film (2012), Another Yeti a Love Story: Life on the Streets (2017), The Devil's Machine (2019)

7/10: It Came from Outer Space (1953), The Snorkel (1958), Lake of Dracula (1971), The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (1971), Evil of Dracula (1974), The Peanut Butter Solution (1985), The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo (1987), Dark Waters (1993), Ju-On: The Grudge (2003), Ju-Rei: The Uncanny (2004), Tomie Unlimited (2011), Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack (2012), Mount. NABI (2014), Kidan: Piece of Darkness (2016), 122 (2019)

6/10: Rodan (1956), It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958), The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), Santo vs. the Riders of Terror (1970), Fright (1971), Santo vs. Frankenstein's Daughter (1972), Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976), Shock (1977), Body Count (1986), Flowers in the Attic (1987), Darkroom (1989), Curse, Death & Spirit (1992), Darkman II: The Return of Durant (1995), Uncle Sam (1996), Event Horizon (1997), Chinese Erotic Ghost Story (1998), Dead Girl Walking (2004), Suicide DVD (2005), Tomie vs Tomie (2007), Train of the Dead (2007), Ura Horror (2008), Yeti: A Love Story (2008), Ju-On: Black Ghost (2009), Ju-On: White Ghost (2009), Teke Teke 2 (2009), 13 Real Asian Horror Stories (2011), Sushi Girl (2012), The Boy (2016), The Fear Footage (2018), The Alpha Test (2020), The Fear Footage 2: Curse of the Tape (2020), The Munsters (2022)

5/10: The Undead (1957), The Ghastly Ones (1968), Santo in the Vengeance of the Mummy (1971), The Specter of Terror (1973), The Fat Albert Halloween Special (1977), Summer of Fear, a.k.a., Stranger in Our House (1978), Evils of the Night (1985), The Dead Next Door (1989), Skinned Alive (1990), Intermedio (2005), Tomie: Revenge (2005), Crazy Eights (2006), Bone Eater (2007), Hikiko-san, a.k.a., Scream Girls (2008), XII (2008), Killjoy Goes to Hell (2012), Amityville: The Awakening (2017), Everfall (2017), Remote Viewing (2018), The Fear Footage: 3AM (2021), A Town Full of Ghosts (2022)

4/10: The Psychic (1968), Vengeance of the Zombies (1973), Frozen Scream (1975), Invasion from Inner Earth (1978), Casper's Halloween Special (1979), Cannibal Terror (1980), The Smurfs Halloween Special (1983), Slaughter Island (2010), Snow White: A Deadly Summer (2012), Deadly Punkettes (2014), Amityville Death House (2015), Killjoy's Psycho Circus (2016), Dead Heading (2019), Amityville Witches (2020), Blade: The Iron Cross (2020), Amityville Cop (2021)

3/10: Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver (2011), Amityville Island (2020), Amityville in the Hood (2021)

Years covered: 1953, 1956-1958, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1970-1980, 1982-1983, 1985-1990, 1992-1993, 1995-1998, 2000-2012, 2014=2022
Decade breakdown: 1950s (5), 1960s (4), 1970s (18), 1980s (12), 1990s (9), 2000s (20), 2010s (23), 2020s (10)

Best film (non-rewatch): Alice, Sweet Alice
Worst film (non-rewatch): Amityville in the Hood
Biggest positive surprise: The Vagrant
Most disappointing: Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack
Most uncomfortable surprise: Sushi Girl
Most creative: Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Final Chapter
Horniest: Another Yeti a Love Story: Life on the Streets (special mention: Evils of the Night)
Most food for thought: The Devil's Machine, a.k.a., Automata
Biggest 'how did this script get filmed?': Dead Heading
Most scenes with a talking penis: Chinese Erotic Ghost Story
Coolest casual clothing: Blood and Black Lace
Most confusing: Frozen Scream
Most unexpected plot twists: The Peanut Butter Solution
Best use of chainsaws: Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers
Most grueling: Dead Heading
Dumbest ghost: Casper's Halloween Special
Most deserving of a big-budget remake: The Alpha Test

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I read every post in this thread and ye, for the death of every sparrow I am there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mover posted:

I read every post in this thread and ye, for the death of every sparrow I am there.

I'm sorry for what you've endured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah :rip: to anyone who dared read my last-minute dump where I attempted to write 19 reviews simultaneously at 3 in the morning. Have a roundup instead, in which I attempt to rank all 31 (32 actually with the shorts) of the new-to-me movies I watched this month from best to worst (with some adjustments from the scores I gave in the reviews):
(3 bingos)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Saint Maud
Decision to Leave
Drag Me to Hell
The Lighthouse
Something in the Dirt
The Dark and the Wicked
Berberian Sound Studio
The Return of the Living Dead
Raw
Sissy
Creep Box (9min)
mother!
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Deadstream
Chopping Mall
Society
Whistle and I'll Come to You (2022) (directed by Valentina Battorti)
Slumber Party Massacre 2
V/H/S99
Revenge (2017)
The Spine of Night
God Told Me To
The Conspiracy (2012)
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears
House (1986)
15/05/11 - ABANDONED GRAIN ELEVATOR (55min)
Slash/Back
Frozen (2010)
The Queen of Black Magic (1981)
The Curse of La Llorona (2019)

Fortunately I'm counting all but the last two as firmly in the "recommended" category. Which brings me to the VROOM VROOM October Challenge Special Awards Ceremony:

Sickos Funtime Roller Coaster Award: Society (honorable mention: Drag Me to Hell)
Impressively Horrible Experience Award: The Dark and the Wicked (honorable mentions: mother!, that one scene in Frozen (2010))

Scream Queens Award: shared between Sissy, Raw, mother!, Chopping Mall, and Revenge (2017)
Ridiculously Cool Guy Slasher Villain Award: Slumber Party Massacre 2 (honorable mention: the robots from Chopping Mall)

Visual Experience Award: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears
Audio Experience Award: Berberian Sound Studio

Expectations Outperformed Award: Chopping Mall
Potential Totally Squandered Award: The Queen of Black Magic (1981) (it's a hell of a decision to make a quite good movie and then make a completely sincere "You are my brother, and my lover" the focal dialogue of your climax)
Divisive Movie I Will Be Inexplicably Recommending At Every Opportunity From Now On Award: The Spine of Night

Existential Sincerity Award: Something in the Dirt (honorable mention: The Spine of Night)
Triple-F Creative Use of the Found Footage Format Award: Deadstream (honorable mention: The Conspiracy)
Teamwork Award: Slash/Back (honorable mention: Chopping Mall)

in conclusion: Chopping Mall