Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I managed to get 31 films in, although I didn't have enough time to write about all of them.

New To Me:
Practical Magic
Pacific Heights
The Lift
The Others
The Keep
Sleeping With The Enemy
Cat People
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Warlock
Targets
White Zombie
Halloween Ends
Duel
Blacula
Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde
Deadly Friend
Head of the Family
Barbarian

Re-Watches:
An American Werewolf In London
City of the Living Dead
Scream 3
Hocus Pocus
Friday the 13th Part 2
Chopping Mall
The Stuff
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Ernest Scared Stupid
Spookies
Maniac
The Exorcist
Little Shop of Horrors

This was the last I marked SPOOKY Bingo. I didn't update it with films I watched for them, cuz I didn't review them:

My absolute favorites:

Barbarian - tied with Nope as my favorite movie of the year, so far. Just an absolute blast. Funny, gross, gory, and weird, even if it's just a more satirical take on Don't Breathe
Duel - That truck is just so big and scary.
Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde - A top 5 Hammer Horror film for me.
Targets - A well paced thriller that solidifies the death of the Golden Age of Horror
Cat People (1982) - Horny incestuous werecats and doomed romance.
An American Werewolf In London - Every time I was asked "What's your favorite horror movie?" this season, I just answered American Werewolf after this rewatch.
Maniac - the 4k from Blue Underground is phenomenal. This rewatch was revelatory. A solid, grimey, nihilistic film.

Overall, it was a good season mixing old and new films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
New Gangtag when

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Thanks to Fran for running this! I can't believe how many some of you watched.

I ended up with 46 feature length films and 3 shorts. Everything was new to me. Originally I wanted to knock out highly rated stuff I had never seen but ended up enjoying the Spooky Bingo challenge too much.

Favorites:
Perfect Blue (1997)
Relic (2020)
Penda’s Fen (1974)
Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)
The Long Walk (2019)
Mad God (2021)
The Babadook (2014)

Stinkers:
Mortuary (2005)
Gargoyles (1972)
Puppet Master (1989)
Ice Cream Man (1995)
Skeleton Crew (2009)

Everything:
Blood Feast (1963)
Sunshine (2007)
Relic (2020)
Rodan (1956) - Golden Years
Carrie (2013) - They Always Come Back
Mortuary (2005)
Gargoyles (1972) - TerrorVision
Ticks (1993) - Wild Beasts
Penda’s Fen (1974) - Scream, Queen!
Crimson Peak (2015) - Paperbacks From Hell
A Field in England (2013) - Picnic At Hanging Rock
The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959) - Hausu
Carnival of Sinners (1943) - Highbrow Horror
Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970) - Masters of Horror
The Purge (2013) - Yuppie Nightmare
Halloween with the Addams Family (1977) - Halloween Is Special
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
Life After Beth (2014) - Zombie Honeymoon
Puppet Master (1989) - V/H/S
Ice Cream Man (1995) - Dead & Buried
Horror Movie: A Low Budget Nightmare (2017) - Behind the Screams
Perfect Blue (1997)
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - Femme Fatale
The Man in the Orange Jacket (2014) - A Perfect Getaway
The Church (1989) - The Devil Made Me Do It
Skeleton Crew (2009) - Osteology
The Ranger (2018) - Punk Vacation
V/H/S/2 (2013) - Tales of Terror
Invaders from Mars (1986) - Spaced Invaders
Motel Hell (1980) - To Serve Man
Witchcraft (1964) - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Who Can Kill a Child? (1976) - Children of the Damned
Candyman (2021) - Horror Noire
The Long Walk (2019) - Thrilla in Manila
Evilspeak (1981) - Glitches
The Mummy (1932) - Goodnight, Mommy
Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist (2005) - Whispers in the Dark
Axemas (2017) - Short Cuts
Monsters Crash the Pajama Party (1965) - Short Cuts
Terrifier (2011) - Short Cuts
Cabin Fever (2002) - H20
The Mutations (1974) - Origin of Evil
The Innkeepers (2011)
Happy Death Day (2017)
Husk (2011) - After Dark
Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004) - Full Moon
Mad God (2021)
The Babadook (2014)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Recap for Fran, to make Fran's life less difficult:

31/31 (I technically did 50, but I stopped writing them up after my goal, meh)

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Black Mountain Side
Blood Harvest (Masters of Horror)
Blood Quantum
Bruiser
CarousHell (Something Wicked)
Crowhaven Farm (Terror Vision)
Deadstream (V/H/S)
Deep Red (Halloween is Special)
Food of the Gods (Wild Beasts)
Ginger Snaps (Full Moon)
He Never Died (To Serve Man)
Hellraiser 2022 (They Always Come Back)
In Search of Darkness (Behind the Screams)
Knife+Heart (Scream, Queen)
Last The Night
Mother's Day (Goodnight Mommy)
Mr. Harrigan's Phone (Paperbacks from Hell)
Sissy (Femme Fatale)
Slaughter High (Origin of Evil)
The Antenna (Gitches)
The Boneyard Collection (Osteology)
The Brood (Highbrow Horror)
The Dunwich Horror (Dead and Buried)
The Haunting in Connecticut (Hausu)
The Incredible Shrinking Man (Golden Years)
Tiny Cinema (Tales of Terror)
Uncle Peckerhead (Punk Vacation)
Unrest (After Dark)
V/H/S Fan Edit (Whispers in the Dark)
Yulenka (Children of the Damned)

Bingo, uhh, a few ways.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Here's my final tally:

1. 'Tales from the Crypt' (1972)
2. 'Trilogy of Terror' (1975)
3. 'Southbound' (2015)
4. 'The Vault of Horror' (1973)
BONUS: 'Smile' (2022)
5. 'Creepshow' (1982)
6. 'The House That Dripped Blood' (1971)
7. 'All Hallow's Eve' (2013)
BONUS: 'Deadstream' (2022)
8. 'Cat's Eye' (1985)
9. ' The Monster Club' (1981)
10. 'Body Bags' (1993)
11. 'The Field Guide to Evil' (2018)
BONUS: 'Hellraiser' (2022)
12. 'The Dark Tapes' (2017)
13. 'Trick 'r Treat' (2007)
14. 'Deadtime Stories' (1986)
BONUS: 'Halloween Ends' (2022)
15. 'Black Sabbath' (1963)
16. 'ABCs of Death' (2012)
17. 'V/H/S/99' (2022)
18. 'Twice Told Tales' (1963)
19. 'Scare Package' (2020)
20. 'Twilight Zone: The Movie' (1983)
21. 'Asylum' (1972)
22. 'Chillerama' (2011)
23. 'Dr. Terror's House of Horrors' (1965)
24. 'XX' (2017)
25. 'ABCs of Death 2' (2014)
26. 'The Mortuary Collection' (2019)
27. 'Three Extremes' (2003)
BONUS: 'Antrum' (2018)
28. 'Dead of Night' (1977)
BONUS: 'Scream 4' (2011)
BONUS: 'The Mummy' (1932)
29. 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark' (2019)
30. 'Horror Noire' (2021)
31. 'Horror Stories' (2012)

This year's theme was horror anthologies, and I listed them in a spreadsheet with a random number generator formula so I genuinely did not know what I'd be watching each night, making it a true grab bag of horror. Most of the movies I'd never seen before (I'd seen Twilight Zone, Trick r Treat, and Southbound). I think it was a fun theme, I got a little bit of everything, even though the quality was truly all over the place.

Best: Deadstream, followed closely by Scream 4
Worst: ABC's of Death, followed closely by The Field Guide to Evil

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
OCTOBER CHALLENGE 2022 RECAP

This was my second year participating, and it was another worthwhile endeavor. Thanks to Franchescanado for running the thread and organizing Spooky Bingo, and thanks to all my fellow posters. I enjoyed seeing the thread make a run on a movie and getting to read lots of reviews. I got a few really good recommendations, and I'm pleased if I made any, as well. My goal was 31 movies, and I ended up hitting 38 (36 for Spooky Bingo + 2 hot topic 2022 films that I couldn't work onto the board).

Also, as a note, the most represented decade for me was the '80s with 10 films. Surprisingly, this didn't owe too much to the '80s horror package on the Criterion Channel, which only accounted for 4 out of 10 selections (there are several more I want to get to but didn't work on the Bingo board). Second place was a tie between the '30s (entirely Criterion Channel via the Universal movies) and the 2020s (bolstered by 2022 selections), each with half a dozen films.

Highlights: various Universal horror classics (particularly the films of James Whale: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and The Invisible Man); Wild Zero; Barbarian; the grand finale of a special Halloween screening of Night of the Living Dead with Morricone Youth providing an original live score

Lowlights: Cannibal Holocaust (exploitation trash in the truest sense of the word); Penny Dreadful (thoroughly incompetent); Halloween Ends (until the glorious schlock of the last 40 minutes or so); Dog Soldiers (perhaps not the worst film, but most disappointing for sure)

SPOOKY BINGO COMPLETED:

Movies Watched:
Q: The Winged Serpent (1982); Strange Behavior (1981); Cat's Eye (1985); The Gift (2015); Sissy (2022); Hack-O-Lantern (1988); Cannibal Holocaust (1980); Evil Dead (2013); Hellraiser (2022); The Slumber Party Massacre (1982); Satan's Slave (1980); Dracula (1931); Drácula (1931); Penny Dreadful (2006); Halloween Ends (2022); Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell (1995); (various short films); Frankenstein (1931); The Birds (1963); The Plumber (1979); Bride of Frankenstein (1935); Bones (2001); Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995); That Guy Dick Miller (2014); Saint Maud (2019); The Invisible Man (1933); Visitor Q (2001); The Mummy (1932); Demons (1985); Wild Zero (1999); Barbarian (2022); Slash/Back (2022); Hellbender (2021); Dog Soldiers (2002); The Keep (1983); The Gate (1987); Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954); Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Dog Soldiers (perhaps not the worst film, but most disappointing for sure)

This was my experience as well. Hellraiser 3 was lousy, but I expected that going in. Whereas in the five-film werewolf series I did I was looking forward to Dog Soldiers the most given the praise it's gotten and ended up enjoying it the least, even if, yeah, it's not strictly terrible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This was my experience as well. Hellraiser 3 was lousy, but I expected that going in. Whereas in the five-film werewolf series I did I was looking forward to Dog Soldiers the most given the praise it's gotten and ended up enjoying it the least, even if, yeah, it's not strictly terrible.

Maybe there's some kind of subconscious expectation weirdness with your reactions and me and some other Dog Soldier fans'? If you're watching it for the first time now after years of praise you might have much higher hopes than I did when I watched it as "some Scottish guy I never heard of made a werewolf movie". I love Dog Soldiers an embarrassing amount, but I'm self-aware enough that I know it's partially because I understand it was a first time film maker on a lower budget, e.g. I'll defend the werewolf effects but I'm gonna use the word "with what they had" a lot while I do.

Not trying to tell you your opinion or say it's wrong, of course. (Trying to phrase that neutrally so it's clear it could be me being a weirdo.) I just find it interesting when you get these kinds of stark contrasts in opinions and it's interesting to see if that's related to anything else.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, it was a comparison against expectations. I went into it as a well-regarded movie from the director of The Descent, a movie I do like, and it didn't live up to what I'd hoped for from that. But I made a lowest-five list for October and Dog Soldiers still wasn't close to being on it.

I also watched it very much in a horror mindset framed by all the other werewolf movies I'd just watched. If I'd gone into it clearer that it was a low-budget Aliens-inspired action movie where the monsters that erupt from people just happen to be werewolves I might have enjoyed it more, but I kept waiting for it to get scary. And, in fairness, looking at Neil Marshall's filmography, it looks like The Descent, which does build a claustrophobic atmosphere, is something of an aberration, with the rest being much more action movies, so I probably should have realized beforehand.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah it’s much less of a “moody for-real anxiety inducing spooky time” and heavily on the “beers with friends and laughs” end of the scale, and I can guess how that would leave a bad taste in your mouth. I like it a lot, but I can admit pretty easily that it doesn’t have that magic Evil Dead 2 or Barbarian have where you don’t really know what tone it’s going for at first but you’re 100% down with it the whole time.

Thanks for being such a mensch about mildly different movie preferences.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh yeah, I can see how people would get the wrong impression with how we go on about it, but it's not a great movie or anything, it's just a lot of fun. It's like raving about a local chain restaurant, I might go there with my friiand have a good time but I'm aware it's not 5 star cuisine

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
BTW all the reviews I wrote (with the exception of the specials) are now also up on my Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/EvanWaters/, rewritten a bit to make more sense out of context.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey friends. Some news on what's been going on. A lot of life hit me at the end of October. Nothing bad, but a lot of events and changes I've had to take care of in different avenues of my life. Plus the clamor of the holiday season. I've been on SA a lot less because of it, and had to postpone my plans for the prizes in this thread.

When I get the time, I will still do a drawing for SPOOKY Bingo and the actual challenge. If the thread is closed by then, I will send PMs to the names I draw to get information on where to send them their goodies.

Apologies for anyone miffed by my absence or lack of clarity about the October Thread drawings. If you completed the challenge and would like a Spook-a-doodle gangtag (and don't already have one), please PM me and I will put in the request.

I love you, Spook-a-doodles.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Howdy folks!

Wanted to give an update (for those still bookmarked to this thread) to let you know Fran put together the list of challenge completers and I have started entering the requests for their gang tags

this year's new crop of completers (or at least ones that no longer had their spookadoodle tag) are:

Quote-Unquote
Come And See
Splint Chesthair
Xenomrph
CRAYON
pospysyl
Pretzel Rod Stewart
Gyro Zeppeli
Liar Lyre
Snooze Cruise
A True Jar Jar Fan
Biff Rockgroin
Evil Vin
Sodomy Hussein
Flying Zamboni
Meaty Ore
Mokelumne Trekka
MrGreenShirt
Chris James 2
Jolo
EL BROMANCE

The list is for Goons who completed Spooky Bingo and/or the challenge and participated a lot and they will be receiving a bonus with their tag:
Vanilla Bison
Class3KillStorm
Russian Guyovitch
Scissorfighter
Xiahou Dun
Mover

This second list will take me a little longer to get approval for so hold tight!

Lastly, Fran has informed me there are some physical rewards that he will be posting about soon.

Congrats to all the new winners, this thread is one of my favorites every year, always a blast seeing the reviews and opinions from regulars, lurkers, and newcomers!

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Congrats to all the spook a doodles! The magic was in all of them the whole time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Congrats to all those who qualified.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ah poo poo I forgot

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Awesome, thanks MZ!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Had loads of fun, and glad to finally be part of the club!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hell yeah. Had a bunch of fun and I'm totally down for future challenges.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Extra gang tag when

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Never

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

It actually operates on Call of Duty Prestige rules, every year you just level up, the next level from 'Skull' is 'Jason Part 3' mask (we're skipping the burlap bag in terms of progression). Only the truest of posters will one day reach the Jason X mask.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 14, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh my

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opting out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Now I’m really upset I forgot to do a wrap up post.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hell yeah. Had a bunch of fun and I'm totally down for future challenges.

:same:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

Extra gang tag when

We want our Spooksadooldes tags!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Alternate tag:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Alternate tag:

:laffo:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Thanks for putting this on; it was a lot of fun to do. I watched a lot of movies I probably would not have otherwise, including some classics that I really should have seen by now.

Main lessons I took away from it:

--As a genre, horror is no better or worse than others in spite of its reputation as a repository of trashy flicks and "low" entertainment. Sure, there's plenty of crap, but lots of good stuff worth watching too; every other genre is the same way.
--There's also a lot of genre overlap as well. Rosemary's Baby is as much domestic drama as horror (in fact, the domestic drama is the horror), for instance.
--A lot of horror movies are horror-comedies, or at least have comedic elements. More than I thought would be the case when I began the challenge. I wasn't expecting Hellraiser to have much in the way of laughs, but they were there from time to time nevertheless.
--As a corollary, a lot of horror movies are self-aware and ironic in tone. This goes all the way back to the early days of horror; just look at The Invisible Man. I remember the hype around the original Scream when it first came out, and though I still haven't seen it (maybe for next year's challenge), I can't help but think that it probably wasn't quite as revolutionary as a lot of people made it seem.
--A lot of horror movies just aren't that gory, even the ones that stake their reputation on it. Maybe it's all the Resident Evil games I've played over the years, but most of the time my reaction to gore was just "meh, it's not that bad." Again, Hellraiser is a case in point. And of course The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is perhaps the classic example.

Anyways, I had a good time and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. The hardest part, I think, is going to be holding off on stuff I might want to save for then.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 15, 2023

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

I slept on horror as a genre for decades and these challenge threads have been directly responsible for awakening my appreciation of these films, as both good fun and good art. I'm still a huge wuss who flinches at anything gory, particularly body horror, so I foresee myself continuing to get thoroughly spooked every time another thread rolls around!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Reminder we also do a May challenge as well! Half has many movies since it's only halfway to october.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Ooh groovy! Thanks for the tag!

I'll throw out a recommendation for May/Oct this year:

Uninvited - 1987

A shady businessman takes his yacht to an offshore island to get his money out of a bank there. He invites some hot young babes to come with him, but they bring along some dudes too. Wait a minute, these dudes weren't invited... ah well, nevertheless. Will the shady man make it to the island successfully? This is the horror thread, this doesn't sound like a horror movie... Ok, you got me, I'm leaving out one important part of the story. I won't tell you what it is, but you'll probably figure it out after looking at the movie poster. Oh, also Clu Gulager is in it and he has big nerd glasses and fake teeth.

It's an excellent time with some drinks and some friends. I highly recommend it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HOLY poo poo GUYS

CHECK OUT MY RAD AS gently caress DAGON AVATAR

P.S. thank you!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

drat this rules lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Some of us, some of us, gooble gobble, spookadoodle!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Credit to the avatar choices goes entirely to Fran. I will take credit for the ones the text some got and apologies I couldn't come up with text for all of them lol

Happy spookies everyone!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Credit to the avatar choices goes entirely to Fran. I will take credit for the ones the text some got and apologies I couldn't come up with text for all of them lol

Happy spookies everyone!

The texts you chose were great. Thank you, again!

And thank you to everyone participating! I hope you like your AVs. I went through every post to pick images from a movie they especially liked. I hit a bit of a snafu with the physical prizes, but I found an alternative. I'll hopefully have those done this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

The texts you chose were great. Thank you, again!

And thank you to everyone participating! I hope you like your AVs. I went through every post to pick images from a movie they especially liked. I hit a bit of a snafu with the physical prizes, but I found an alternative. I'll hopefully have those done this weekend.

I was wondering if that was on purpose. Good on you for going the extra mile.

Thanks again for running this, it was a total blast. Hope your unspecified problems are okay and also thanks to MZ for helping out at the end.