Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah that was pretty bullshit, especially since she’s probably got the strongest power of the 3

It's the easiest to write since it's "spiral energy utilized as solid objects and laser beams", but Tamaki could easily be power-scaled upwards depending on the stuff you invent for him to eat and what you could imagine him getting from it. Like, if a huge person with a kaiju quirk gives him some dead skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean yeah it’d be pretty neat if Ochako decapitated a guy but you play the hand you’re dealt

It's so weird that they specifically wrote in that Ochako is very good at hand to hand combat now, but it only manifests in very boring sequences of her yelling GUNHEAD MARTIAL ARTS. Just give her a real fight scene for Christs sake.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean yeah it’d be pretty neat if Ochako decapitated a guy but you play the hand you’re dealt

Mina is the worst off. She might as well be Wolverine in any X-Men cartoon in that her power just doesn't work in things made for children. It's not like we'll ever get her melting off one of the League's faces. Kinda ironic given her clear inspiration from Alien - everybody knows she's based on a R-Rated film with one of the most famous scenes in horror history, but she can't too violent.

But yeah, MHA won't be the last shounen with fans disappointed in how they handled the female cast. I've seen far worse, though. I've also seen better. As a Fairy Tail fan, it's fun to note how such a "low brow" series does its female characters way better than much more respected shounen like One Piece.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, MHA won't be the last shounen with fans disappointed in how they handled the female cast. I've seen far worse, though. I've also seen better. As a Fairy Tail fan, it's fun to note how such a "low brow" series does its female characters way better than much more respected shounen like One Piece.

Yeah, it and Soul Eater feel like they've done the best by their female cast (while both series also have their flaws, don't get me wrong). Maybe Fire Force is good in that regard since it's by the Soul Eater guy? I don't know, but it'd be nice. I don't know much about it other than it also has its own contribution to the Buff Lady trend.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it and Soul Eater feel like they've done the best by their female cast (while both series also have their flaws, don't get me wrong). Maybe Fire Force is good in that regard since it's by the Soul Eater guy? I don't know, but it'd be nice. I don't know much about it other than it also has its own contribution to the Buff Lady trend.

Have you seen Chainsaw Man?

It has a really good female cast, with plenty for them to do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Fire Force is really skeevy towards one particular character (and the series as a whole is a bit hornier overall) but otherwise I’d say its female cast is still roughly on par with Soul Eater in terms of representation

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

At least Toga got a cool fight last arc, even if they hosed it up in the anime. Also she got to whoop Deku's rear end in the license exam, which is a pretty rare occurrence.

Also I think Uraraka vs Bakugo is still a pretty great fight.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 13, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think Uraraka is a pretty good character.

I've mentioned it before but part of why I really love MHA is because of Deku. I find him a breath of fresh air from most shounen heroes I have seen. At the same time, his dynamic with Iida and Uraraka is really great and also why I love the show.

Season 2 is so great because of these three + Shoto, IMO. And Stain if we count baddies.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

Fire Force is really skeevy towards one particular character (and the series as a whole is a bit hornier overall) but otherwise I’d say its female cast is still roughly on par with Soul Eater in terms of representation
In the Fire Force manga there's a whole bit where a kid does a Twitter blue check rant owning his mom with facts and logic about why that character has to get naked to fight better

Of course this is on the heels of Horikoshi doing a very weirdly timed and out of place color page of visible, naked Hagekure. He didn't do a "you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds" rant though

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

He didn't do a "you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds" rant though

Yet

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Didn't he do it in the Aizawa flashback in Vigilantes? Or maybe some point in the author notes about Momo's outfit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Delphisage posted:

Didn't he do it in the Aizawa flashback in Vigilantes? Or maybe some point in the author notes about Momo's outfit.

Momo's outfit is the MHA version of 'she breathes through her skin.'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fabricated posted:

In the Fire Force manga there's a whole bit where a kid does a Twitter blue check rant owning his mom with facts and logic about why that character has to get naked to fight better

Of course this is on the heels of Horikoshi doing a very weirdly timed and out of place color page of visible, naked Hagekure. He didn't do a "you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds" rant though

This was also when the entire final arc was apparently collapsing into a weird metafiction thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

He doesn’t need to, he made an entire character (Mineta) to give himself cover and then said gently caress it

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
The Soul Eater manga itself ended with turning a tragic ending for one of its characters into an extended boob joke.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And he immediately followed it up with NOT which while alright for the most part was basically “Soul Eater only hornier”

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I like that Mirko was pretty well the first to address the somewhat obvious notion of using tremendous strength to do something other than hit somebody---as there's been so many moments of "Deku, name a state or territory or something while grasping a villain's leg or arm after getting smacked around in heroic defiance as you should be more than equipped to just squeeze it as if an incredibly ripe banana without anywhere near the Strain% woes~"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Well not quite, it’s more just a crazy amount of meta happens with the kid becoming a real person cause he had a name and the mom vanishing cause she had no name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also less facts and logic and more "you're just jealous because you're old and ugly"

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Fat Gum Taxi

:3:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m kind of surprised that they killed Twice so soon, but he could have easily shifted the tides of the villa battle

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Ahhh, poor Twice. Boy, this spurred a lot of arguments when it happened in the manga. How justifiable is it for a hero to kill a villain on purpose? IMO, Hawks was pretty justified - he tried to just arrest Twice and even saved him from Dabi immolating both of them (because Dabi is a moron) but realistically, Twice is just too dangerous to risk him getting away. If the only way you can stop him from joining the fight is by putting a sword through his skull then, well. You do what you gotta do, Hawks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Finally, dub watcher can report.

I am not as huge a fan of the OP as some earlier posters.

That's about the only negative thing I have to say. The rest of the episode was really hype. I almost forgot abut Mushroom Girl...Season 5 really left little impression one me. Still, happy to see Kaminari is important, at least for the moment. Maybe next week I'll finally see why people love Mirko so much. "What's up, Doc!" was pretty awesome and a great cliffhanger.

Shocking little from Deku or Bakugo in one whole episode. I think they each had one line and Shoto didn't say a thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did she actually say that oh my god

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Did she actually say that oh my god

I just looked it up she does lmao.

The dub is good.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

NikkolasKing posted:

Finally, dub watcher can report.

I am not as huge a fan of the OP as some earlier posters.

That's about the only negative thing I have to say. The rest of the episode was really hype. I almost forgot abut Mushroom Girl...Season 5 really left little impression one me. Still, happy to see Kaminari is important, at least for the moment. Maybe next week I'll finally see why people love Mirko so much. "What's up, Doc!" was pretty awesome and a great cliffhanger.

Shocking little from Deku or Bakugo in one whole episode. I think they each had one line and Shoto didn't say a thing.

Anything is better than merry go round

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.tvfandomlounge.com/2022/10/15/spy-x-family-anime-viewership-record-high/

quote:

Meanwhile, the premiere of My Hero Academia Season 6 saw an individual viewership rating of 2.1% in its usual Saturday evening timeslot, as 2.64 million people tuned in to see the return of the beloved superhero anime. This is on par with the ratings for the final episode of Season 5.

The latest Gundam anime, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury, also premiered the same week and nabbed a viewership rating of 1.5%, with over 1.88 million people tuning into the first episode of this latest outing of the beloved mecha franchise.

Nothing compared to this Spy x Family thing but still seems good. Wanna see those high numbers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.tvfandomlounge.com/2022/10/15/spy-x-family-anime-viewership-record-high/

Nothing compared to this Spy x Family thing but still seems good. Wanna see those high numbers.

Those are solid numbers. Nothing amazing, and season 5 had some dropoff, but if this season is good and it can keep those numbers, MHA's in healthy shape. (On TV, I mean. The manga is selling great, so no worries there either.)

(Had some Gundam analysis here, but I'm moving it to a more proper thread.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 16, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Weird thread for that breakdown of gundam statistics but cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/_Caderade174/status/1581393714202566657?s=20&t=X0zM3M5sMYXsdedl3dB8Pw

God, it's real

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s awesome

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Whoever decided to add that line is a genius, give them a raise immediately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We all knew localizers were terribly underpaid at Crunchyroll and this proves it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, this week's ratings for MHA on Japanese TV are in and, well... there's no other way to put this.

They're good.

2.1 individual, 4.0 household. At least for live, it outperformed One Piece and Spy x Family this week, and completely thrashed Chainsaw Man. (To be fair to Denji, his show is airing at midnight, which kind of cuts off a lot of live viewers)

Seems that this season's stronger opening might be getting people tuning in again after dropping off last season. At minimum, it's holding well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, this week's ratings for MHA on Japanese TV are in and, well... there's no other way to put this.

They're good.

2.1 individual, 4.0 household. At least for live, it outperformed One Piece and Spy x Family this week, and completely thrashed Chainsaw Man. (To be fair to Denji, his show is airing at midnight, which kind of cuts off a lot of live viewers)

Seems that this season's stronger opening might be getting people tuning in again after dropping off last season. At minimum, it's holding well.

Well I'm super stoked to hear all this. Whatever discontent I'm seeing online about current manga developments, it doesn't appear reflected in TV ratings or manga sales. Thanks for sharing.

I am intrigued by anime buttocks and Curious George, though.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I'm super stoked to hear all this. Whatever discontent I'm seeing online about current manga developments, it doesn't appear reflected in TV ratings or manga sales. Thanks for sharing.

I am intrigued by anime buttocks and Curious George, though.

Butt Detective and Curious George are continuously running family shows. Those (like Shaun the Sheep) tend to pull much higher rating than anime aimed at, well, anime fans. MHA, Spy, Demon Slayer, and One Piece are much more exception than rule.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
New episode was good! I wouldn’t want to be stuck in a bunker with Shigaraki

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

This was the best moment of the episode.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I swear to god if this show tries to pull anymore "the villains are just misunderstood outcasts" narrative beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I swear to god if this show tries to pull anymore "the villains are just misunderstood outcasts" narrative beats.