Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
It was a nice grounding scene for the last two seasons, too.

Look at him, he's just a kid. They're all just kids in an immensely lovely situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

Deku: Truly this was My Hero Academia.

They said the thing!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
season was good

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I always thought All Might would have been cooler as a lady. Behold!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Alright, I watched through Hellish Hell back in February, paused, and then watched the back half of the season over the past few days.

- It doesn't match seasons 2 or 4, but I I think season 6 is somewhere in the mix for third-best season alongside 1 and 3 (gently caress season 5).
- The latter half of the season's opening + ending songs were an upgrade on what we'd had recently.
- I really like the dark hero arc. It makes perfect sense for Deku's character and (im)maturity level. The only thing that doesn't quite work is the pro heroes going along with using a kid as bait, but it's plausible given everyone's general level of desperation and disrepair. Bakugo pointing out the obvious flaw in the plan gave me big "Piccolo telling Goku off as Perfect Cell squeezes the life out of his son" energy.
- I really liked how they handled the return of Muscular. I always thought he was a boring villain, and although their first fight was great, Deku has advanced so much that it would've felt silly if the rematch went down the same way given that his opponent is basically the same but a little injured. I feel like "bring back the early-game boss to show off your progress" is a good little plot device.
- Between Mirko at the start and the giant rabbit lady at the end and Lady Lagant in the middle, I think this really is the horniest season of MHA. When the giant rabbit lady came over, picked up Deku, and called him a crybaby hero, I felt like I got a little too close of an insight into the psyche of the author. And let's not forget Mommy Might or whoever that was from America at the end, goddamn.
- Really liked Bakugo's apology. I'm also glad that Uraraka got a big speech, but I felt it wasn't written as well as it could be. Still, I'll take any Uraraka content we can get.
- Can't wait for the start of the next season!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Took me a while to get around to watching this, I didn't hate season 5 like a lot of people did but I guess it didn't excite me enough to be hyped for more. It's definitely a return to form though - the first half hit the ground running and just kept going, although it became a bit of a slog. poo poo like Mina getting cued up for a big hero moment and then just dropping the ball so Kirishima gets a hero moment instead wears at your patience, and Shigaraki just feels like a mess at this point. He's so overpowered he needs to be constantly watched by Aizawa to keep him from instantly killing everyone for five miles, but then he has to be made super strong/invincible via non-quirk means so he can still fight everyone instead of just being instantly gibbed like a regular mortal when his quirk is turned off. I mean if bro is shrugging off 100% punches from Deku what the gently caress is Iida ever going to do against him? Also a lot of stuff happened that didn't even matter, like why bother giving Mirio his quirk back if all he does is show up and flail around in the big melee without really tipping the balance?

I guess I'm complaining a lot despite saying I liked it, but there was a lot to love too. All the stuff with Hawks and Twice was painful but great for it, Dabi's reveal was predictable but in a good way where it just made sense and got its proper payoff, and thanks to Mirko we actually got to see a female character in this show have a badass fight scene. Also I'll always love Shigaraki taking a moment out of any fight he's in to comment on how cool Aizawa is.

The contrast between her popping a Nomu's head off with her thighs and Deku getting Shigaraki in a headlock and not doing anything with it was kind of sad though. The less said about Nejire's ineffectual lasers the better.

Then we get the second half which I pretty much struggle to find any fault with, like this is as good as the show's ever been for me. When everyone busted out of Tartarus I thought it was really cool that we'd get to see all these guys who were big deals in the past and how they'd stack up with things now. Muscular getting punked by Deku was a great payoff for his growth, Stain meeting All Might when the latter's having a crisis of faith and actually giving him a pep talk was wonderfully unexpected and yet so perfect. It's a great way to bring in new characters too, like the puppetmaster guy doesn't actually do much but his quirk is scary enough you can see why people like him getting out of jail has everyone freaked out, and Lady Nagant gave us an awesome fight and a lot more context about how lovely this world has always been, even when All Might was around and even in the early seasons when everything was bright and colourful.

Speaking of, I love the whole washed out moody aesthetic for the entire Vigilante Deku arc, it didn't seem like it stopped raining the whole time, and while the city seemed to progress into Fallout ruins too quickly it made for a great backdrop.

I'm no fan of Endeavor and I haven't been crazy about his rehabilitation, so I was really impressed with The Hellish Todoroki Family part 2 for painstakingly reminding you what a lovely person he is - the stuff with Toya is complex enough that you can have some sympathy for his situation, but he still handles it terribly and directly causes the disintegration of his family. The baby Shoto faces there were great too.

Lastly Deku vs Class A might be my favourite episode of the whole series. Not everyone had anything meaningful to say, and Jiro lampshades that quite well that some of them are just friends but not especially deep ones, but it was nice to give everyone a shot there. Iida calling back to how Deku saved him from losing himself hunting Stain was powerful and the Bakugo apology might as well have been what the entire series was building towards - I forgot to mention earlier but him having the same thought when he took that hit for Deku against Shigaraki as Midoriya had when he charged in at the slime guy holding Bakugo hostage in the first episode was chefs kiss.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh poo poo stain actually showed up? Guess I will watch those last couple of episodes then

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Oh speaking of callbacks like the Bakugo line, it just hit me that All For One pointing at Deku in his taunting video message after the Lady Nagant fight and saying, "Next it's your turn," is directly copying what All Might said after United States of Smash. That guy's such a loving dick and I love it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just have to say an opinion I've flipped on over the years is MHA's questioning of heroism and heroic ethics. There's a big trend in fiction to valorize the hero who is self-sacrificing and humble and who destroys themselves for the cause. So many works I otherwise love have this message of "abandon pride and ambition." I just kind of accepted that as the definition of a hero and thought what Izuku was doing wasn't really worthy of criticism because so many other stories push for this.

Now while early Bakugo took it way too far, I agree with the point being made about him and Midoriya. A hero needs a certain level of drive and even a certain level of selfishness. There's nothing wrong or immoral about that. I'm sure I'm late to the party but I'm just glad to have stories which are okay with pushing for a wider scope of virtues that can define a hero. A hero can be ambitious or even wrathful.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
MHA makes a really good point that as noble as it is to be self-sacrificing it also worries the hell out of the people who love you and it’s actually kind of lovely to forget about that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I randomly felt in a big MHA mood again and wanted to actually finish S6.

I know Mirio is not a top tier favorite of mine like he is for others but I still felt his return was too...rushed? There was too much going on, it was too "cluttered" to give him the prominence he deserved. That's really my only criticism of the big battle, though. God. Dabi is so good.

I remember after S3 having many discussions about if All for One genuinely cared for Tomura. He is obviously not a character defined by being "evil but having friends he cared about" in contrast to the League proper, but thee were some hints he had an inkling of humanity in him, towards his brother and maybe towards Tomura. You could even interpret his staying behind to fight All Might while sending Tomura away as a dark spin on a very typical hero trope of the old master sacrificing himself for his protege. But so far this season seems to be squashing that idea dead. Maybe.

Relevant: the question of why Shigaraki's hatred is important for AFO - maybe it's the paradoxical nature of how opposites can only be born out of each other. Without pain, there is no pleasure. Without love, there can be no hate. AFO never loved anyone or anything so he can't generate true hatred.

And that is S6 finished at last.

Other Thoughts:
I forgot Midnight actually died. Yes there is a little talk of it after the fact but it's pretty much forgotten because there are a bajillion other important things happening to much bigger characters. Is not getting enough time to breathe with stuff like her death or Mirio's return why so many people got soured on MHA?

I know I've read some people say they wanted a sort of "Hero Slice of Life" more than big wars of good and evil. I can get that but, well, that's just not what MHA is, just like Izuku was never meant to be Batman.

It was good to see my two favorite villains again, Overhaul and Stain. I think their appearances are fully in line with their established characters, but I can't help but feel they also serve Izuku's journey to "anybody can be redeemed." Overhaul's only concern was for his "Pops" and Stain helped All Might. Both of their returns emphasized the best qualities in them. (In fact, might be the only good quality in Chisaki since he barely seemed to remember who Eri was. I'm not sure apologizing to her would mean a whole lot since he scarcely acknowledges her existence, let alone what he did to her. But oh well)

Overall, I still love MHA. Dunno how most others feel about it now. Is it as good as it used to be? Maybe not but it sure ain't bad in my opinion. S6 still had some of the best moments in the series in terms of action, drama, and inspiration. I'm really hoping Uraraka gets a proper fight and stuff in the next season, though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

NikkolasKing posted:

I know Mirio is not a top tier favorite of mine like he is for others but I still felt his return was too...rushed? There was too much going on, it was too "cluttered" to give him the prominence he deserved. That's really my only criticism of the big battle, though. God. Dabi is so good.

It's also, IIRC, only like two episodes after Best Jeanist's return, which definitely dampens the impact

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember after S3 having many discussions about if All for One genuinely cared for Tomura. He is obviously not a character defined by being "evil but having friends he cared about" in contrast to the League proper, but thee were some hints he had an inkling of humanity in him, towards his brother and maybe towards Tomura. You could even interpret his staying behind to fight All Might while sending Tomura away as a dark spin on a very typical hero trope of the old master sacrificing himself for his protege. But so far this season seems to be squashing that idea dead. Maybe.

Relevant: the question of why Shigaraki's hatred is important for AFO - maybe it's the paradoxical nature of how opposites can only be born out of each other. Without pain, there is no pleasure. Without love, there can be no hate. AFO never loved anyone or anything so he can't generate true hatred.

I think it's very intentional to see that moment in season 3 as a nod to that idea. And All for One absolutely frames it to All Might in that way, that he's taking a page of out of their book and investing in the new generation, entrusting his will to a successor. But I think it's just as intentional that this season pulls back the curtain on that idea a bit: Where All Might--and one might assume this is true of his master and the previous holders as well--want their successors to be their own people, All for One merely sees Tomura as an extension of himself.

All Might wants Deku to be the symbol of peace, but he wants Deku to be his own symbol and not just mimic that. All for One sees only one version of how to be and so cut out the middle man and literally make Shigaraki him as well.

I think that also comes back to his issue about not having enough hatred. He's got kind of a shallow affect thing going. He understands things intellectually but he just doesn't get them on a deeper level. Why would you want to pass on your legacy to someone who isn't you? Why would you keep standing up with a broken and pathetic body, especially if it means losing the illusion you've protected for so long? There's just something fundamentally not there imo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think the implication is that All for One may actually lack emotions. He's said he has them but he's never really expressed anything except smug self-satisfaction, even in battle or abject defeat. The reason Shigaraki is important is that his hatred drives him in a way similar to how All Might and Deku go beyond their limits to save people. Shigaraki absolutely would have lost the fight against the heroes if he hadn't been able to have a "Plus Ultra" moment and push himself to keep fighting until he took Eraserhead out.

All for One can't do that. That's why All Might was able to beat him both times, he just had the stronger will to win even with his guts ripped out/with mere embers of a quirk left. Shigaraki is basically a cheat for All for One to also get that ability.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 22, 2023

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
for some reason i had the impression that the hatred was important for AFO to be able to mind control shigaraki. idk why but that's what I thought.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I know I've read some people say they wanted a sort of "Hero Slice of Life" more than big wars of good and evil. I can get that but, well, that's just not what MHA is

The swerve into super serious stuff happened relatively recently though. Season 1 was, like, 10 episodes of kid stuff, and 3 episodes of villains. Season 2 was 20 episodes of kid stuff and 5 episodes of Stain.

It's a completely valid opinion to say that you were a fan of the early seasons and don't like that the later seasons have proportionally too much heavy stuff.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nephthys posted:

I think the implication is that All for One may actually lack emotions. He's said he has them but he's never really expressed anything except smug self-satisfaction, even in battle or abject defeat. The reason Shigaraki is important is that his hatred drives him in a way similar to how All Might and Deku go beyond their limits to save people. Shigaraki absolutely would have lost the fight against the heroes if he hadn't been able to have a "Plus Ultra" moment and push himself to keep fighting until he took Eraserhead out.

All for One can't do that. That's why All Might was able to beat him both times, he just had the stronger will to win even with his guts ripped out/with mere embers of a quirk left. Shigaraki is basically a cheat for All for One to also get that ability.

It’s also why he can’t take one for all. The combined will of all the holders is impossible for someone like him to overcome, but Shigaraki can

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I can't help but notice they still made sure to keep AFO's face concealed in those "vestige" moments. I'd be inclined to still believe in Dad for One but the revelation that Izuku has to be Quirkless in order to not die very young kinda kills all those theories about the doctor from the beginning, I think.

Also they've avoided showing Young All Might's face too. Maybe it has no greater significance than Hori just doesn't know what to draw.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A thought: I would say, as of now, the best continuing plot in the entire series is far and away the Todoroki storyline.

I've always been clear Izuku is a fantastic character and a big draw for me but the actual One for All/All for One plot is a lot more typical shounen fair. I don't hate it or anything but it's not terribly fascinating to me either at this momentl With the Todorokis, I've been invested for the longest time and this season only peaked that interest. I loved Shoto since the Sports Festival in Season 2. Endeavor's seemingly impossible redemption was one of the best parts of Season 4, and now the Dabi reveal was absolutely perfect.

I wanna see what All for One does next and what Deku and friends do to stop him but my main draw at this point is the real confrontation between Dabi and his family.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has ReDestro done anything? I just totally skipped the last bit of S5, and my memory of the start of S6 isn't the best since I stopped and came back only with Dabi's Dance.

It's just I remember when S4 aired and I fell in love with Overhaul. I won't lie, I like my power level discussions, and I looked up discussions of how he ranks among the MHA villains. I remember seeing unanimous verdict that ReDestro could totally beat him. But I don't remember Pointy Nose ever doing...anything.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He was pretty ridiculously strong. At full power he could throw black energy and level city blocks. The only reason Tomura beat him was he could instantly disintegrate all his ranged attacks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sindai posted:

He was pretty ridiculously strong. At full power he could throw black energy and level city blocks. The only reason Tomura beat him was he could instantly disintegrate all his ranged attacks.

Fair enough. Was that at the end of S5? I should do a re-watch of the whole series, anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ReDestro is kind of nerfed now that Shigaraki forced him to cut off his legs. He probably could have pushed through Dark Shadow but his legs snapped from the pressure. Then he fought and lost to Edgeshot in the war who basically hard counters him.

His clone managed to kill the Safety Commission even while being ambushed though, which is kind of funny how much they underestimated him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Another Villain question.

What precisely is the League's end goal? I think this is why I've never really gotten behind them or Shigaraki. I know they want to tear down Hero society - okay, I'm with them so far. But...then what?

Dabi I think has an explicit purpose, to ruin Endeavor's life. But he's clearly working on his own agenda far removed from the res of the League. We know what AFO did when he was on top but as he himself noted, he and Tomura have wildly different dispositions. I don't see Shigaraki being some underworld kingpin pulling all the strings.

I just don't understand what Shigaaki ultimately wants and I think that's part of why I greatly prefer Stain and Overhaul. I know where they came from, what they were doing, and where they wanted to end up. Not so with the League. But maybe I missed something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They don't have a good motivation, like in so many other animes. AFO is just a greedy megalomaniac so his motivation is just "power for powers sake and domination for dominations sake". But the league?

They want to destroy everything because they don't like it and if they have to kill millions of people to do so that's fine. It's really boring

Even Stain, who seemed to be entirely driven by idology had a lovely motivation

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Toga, Spinner - I don't think they know how to get from point A to B, but in their minds, the world has rejected them as things that should not exist, and so they want a world where that isn't the case.

I think Shigaraki wants that too, because he values his friends, but his own personal motivation is more the lashing out of a scared child. The world abandoned him when he needed it the most. It has no right to exist, let alone to call itself heroic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MHAOfficial/status/1713902659286032653?s=20

https://twitter.com/MHAOfficial/status/1713917761502544347?s=20

lmao

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think the league don't have an ideology so much as they've all been scarred by the existing society and have been radicalized by how their problems have not only been caused by hero society, but ignored and swept under the rug by it. They don't have an end goal because they were never given the opportunity to be that forward thinking about their lives I think. They were destined to burn out at the bottom eventually, so they want to see the society that put them in that position burn down with them. They're lashing out at a cruel and unjust world and have no pretensions of claiming that they have the knowledge or perspective to build a better world, they just know they hate the one they live in.

I think what really unites them is the shared feeling of the injustice of not only being hurt by society, but not even being acknowledged outside of their super villainy, because hero society is centered around super heros and the villains they fight. They're doing the one thing that makes society at large recognize that they're real, and the most ideology they have is that they're using this as a platform to point out the false constructions society has built that they were buried under in the first place. because undermining those constructions is part of burning it all down.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 17, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry, got MHA on the brain.

I am seeing, upon reflection, more of why people criticize the turn of the series towards pure action. I guess I can't say for certain, maybe they'll turn up next season, but Hori did build up characters who looked like they were gonna be pretty important and then I don't recall seeing them at all in Season 6. Shinso is the big one but what about Inasa, the big, shouty guy from the License Exams who had beef with Shoto. You'd think this be teh perfect opportunity to focus on other academies and their students.

But maybe this is just a popularity issue. Naruto had a lot of problems but editors did not help by telling Kishi "hey, people want Sasuke, end this poo poo NOW and get more Sasuke!" Although while I dunno about Inasa, I'm pretty sure Shinso is quite popular for such a relatively minor character.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Even before Kubo started dying himself, Bleach had an issue with cast bloat and popularity polls seemingly deciding writing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reposting this here for any fellow anime watchers who might be in the dark like I was...

quote:

Huh, apparently the "Volume Extras" in the manga have some pretty important info. So even if he anime adapts basically everything from a chapter, it will miss semi-important stuff. Stuff I care about, anyway.

It was brought to my attention because I was talking on Reddit about the Hero Safety Commission's dirty dealings and apparently, after Nagant, the Commission didn't have any more assassinations.
https://hanashimas.tumblr.com/post/664568803452174336/mha-volume-32-extras

quote:

THE Lady Nagant
Since I feel like Lady Nagant’s past will take up a whole volume by itself if I drew it in its entirety, I’ve cut it short by a lot.

The reason why Nagant didn’t get erased and instead got imprisoned was because of the Chairwoman’s (the middle-aged lady character’s) decision.

The previous chairman had always treated people as disposable assets even before Nagant came into the picture. At first, all he used were people from the underside of society, but the heroes committing crime increased and became organized. The techniques they use were only becoming cleverer, and their crimes swelled up to the point that the HSPC weren’t able to deal with them with only people from the underside of society.

And so, they turned to using people from public–heroes–so that they can freely move when going against other heroes. The Chairwoman, who disagreed with the Previous Chairman’s methods, ordered for Nagant to be imprisoned in Tartarus where there is no fear of information leaks. This way, she was able to prevent Nagant from getting executed and use her as an example to discourage disputes between heroes.

So, in order to prevent failures as with Lady Nagant’s incident from happening again, she zeroed in on Takami Keigo as her [Nagant’s] successor, intending to educate, train him from an even younger age [than Nagant] and have him fulfil his duty his whole life.

If I manage to safely finish serialization, I wanna draw a short titled “The Beautiful Lady Nagant ~The Brightest Star in the Cage~”. But I probably won’t. Why, you ask? Because I’m sleepy!

The Chairwoman
She first appeared in volume 20. She got done in by Re-Destro’s copy in volume 31.

Also of interest (at least for me) is a definitive age for Overhaul. I don't recall there being one listed on the wiki or anything when S4 came out and I just wondered if he even looked old enough for people to believe Eri was his daughter. 28 makes sense, though.

He's another example, a discussion of he Quirk Self-Defense Laws in MHA

I'm gonna have to start buying and reading the manga for these.

This is not from a volume extra but the anime also left out a big reason why Overhaul hated Quirks - the theory they originated in a disease spread by rats. This is also relevant to all the Quirk Singular Doomsday theory stuff and how Destro wore a patch with a rat on it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, there are some cool extra's you get from reading the manga. My personal favorite is:

There was also a series about the hero costumes that explained Momo's stupid butt-shelf, why Mineta's costume is so poo poo and that Iidas costume is basically only designed to look cool and has no actual function.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, there are some cool extra's you get from reading the manga. My personal favorite is:

There was also a series about the hero costumes that explained Momo's stupid butt-shelf, why Mineta's costume is so poo poo and that Iidas costume is basically only designed to look cool and has no actual function.

Tbf since popularity plays a huge role in the rankings that’s arguably an important function

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ochako raises a very valid point. Being awake does cost money.

I do like the gloves mean she doesn't levitate herself (or the bed) in her sleep.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of Uraraka and popularity dictating what happens, I have read theories that Bakugo's and Todoroki's popularity is why the formative trio of the early arcs -Deku, Iida, and Ochaco - has become less prominent over time. I'm not sure if I buy this because, even if Bakugo and Shoto are more popular, Iida and Uraraka always place in Top 10 Popularity Polls. And Bakugo, to me, always felt like he was THE rival. Iida is a BFF but Bakugo is the Vegeta or whatever, you know. Far as I can tell, nothing was ever actually changed in this area. The OG Trio wasn't sidelined after some editor told Hori "people like these other two more, dump the first two."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Ochako raises a very valid point. Being awake does cost money.

I do like the gloves mean she doesn't levitate herself (or the bed) in her sleep.

The thought put into Uraraka and Shigaraki having to take care about touching things has always been a cute details. I wonder if Uraraka could overcome this like Shigaraki has.

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of Uraraka and popularity dictating what happens, I have read theories that Bakugo's and Todoroki's popularity is why the formative trio of the early arcs -Deku, Iida, and Ochaco - has become less prominent over time. I'm not sure if I buy this because, even if Bakugo and Shoto are more popular, Iida and Uraraka always place in Top 10 Popularity Polls. And Bakugo, to me, always felt like he was THE rival. Iida is a BFF but Bakugo is the Vegeta or whatever, you know. Far as I can tell, nothing was ever actually changed in this area. The OG Trio wasn't sidelined after some editor told Hori "people like these other two more, dump the first two."

I agree, Todoroki is so popular precisely because Horikoshi dedicated a full arc to him early in the story and continued to integrate him into the plot. This isn't a Bleach situation where the loving Captains just kept butting into arcs they have no need to be in and replacing the original cast, Bakugo and Todoroki have been central pretty much since the start.

Also Iida has actually been quite involved in most arcs he's present for when you think about it. It's more Uraraka who had a fairly big gap in plot immediately after the sports festival.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 21, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That is a lot of loving words to retroactively justify "I wanted to put in a character, so I did".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah Bakugo was the Rival and IcyHot always was going to be a big part of the story. I think Iida just had his character defining arc really early and Hori had trouble figuring out what to do with his character

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Uraraka is a girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Specifically a girl that's not complely jacked. If she was she’d be in every panel