Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Did the first mission in Phantom Pain past the intro. It's interesting to go back and see things that would be revisited/revised in Death Stranding. I can see how the Skull troopers in MGS would lead to the BTs in DS. Sneaking around is still a lot of fun and I'm enjoying running around Mother Base now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just had a really good mission in MGS V. Snuck in to destroy some satellite dishes, and right when I detonated them and put the enemy base into alert phase, a sandstorm hit and I was able to easily sneak out with no one the wiser. Love it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

drat, I forgot how much of a poo poo Huey is in MGS V. I remember him being bad, but not as bad as I'm noticing now. It's actually quite incredible.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

It's your fault anyway! Huey wouldn't have been forced to be such a poo poo if it weren't for you!

*I am shoved on a boat and pushed into the open ocean*

I actually cracked up when he immediately blames Big Boss for getting everyone on Mother Base killed right when you first meet him. Buddy, that's probably not the best move to make!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

On a lighter note, I am enjoying my replay so far. The Quiet fight was a lot of fun. It takes place in a really neat arena and it got pretty intense to duck in between ruins to try to close the distance on her. I'm ready to be ashamed of my words and deeds.

I'm also using D Horse and D Dog more often and coming up with some fun tactics. Parking D Horse in the middle of the road is an easy way to get vehicles to stop and allow me to take our the driver and passengers. And D Dog's auto spotting is super helpful and he buys some extra time if I get spotted and can't land a shot in Reflex mode.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Mario shoots Bowser with an uzi

I can't believe the Mario movie is a collaboration with Newgrounds.com.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'm currently hooked on doing the Side Ops in MGS V, but it gets pretty tedious to constantly call in helicopters to extract after a mission, go back to the ACC menu, and then immediately fly back in to another mission on the other side of the map. I wish I could just direct the helicopter to pick me up and drop me off somewhere else without having to go back to the menus and do the whole mission prep phase again. Otherwise, I'm loving at the different ways I can approach missions. It's a lot of fun to be stealthy or go loud, and I appreciate that the game doesn't really penalize you for choosing one option over the other.

Also I just realized after all this time that sending Quiet to scout out an outpost will not only have her mark enemies, but also steal ammo and gear and set up resupply points in case you run out of bullets or suppressor durability. :aaa:

EDIT: Watching the pre-release trailers again and it looks like Mother Base was supposed to be much more lively and dynamic, with all your troops doing different activities and even using vehicles. It also sounded like that the base itself was supposed to be more customizable. I'm sad all of that had to be scaled back. It would have been so cool to walk around a living base.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 7, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I keep wanting to go back to MGSV. The main thing keeping me away, apart from having so much other stuff to play, is all the grinding you had to do to get all the good stuff.

Oh, and the terrible, terrible "story"

I don't know if it's because of something I did previously, but when I started a new game, i got a bunch of rewards that helped me out on the initial hump. Materials and lots of high ranked soldiers.

As for the story, I'm not hating it so far, but I haven't hit the really wild stuff yet. At the very least I appreciate the themes it's trying to explore, even if the execution is lackluster.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 7, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

D-Dog is super good. He's basically the equivalent of a Soliton radar and his constant marking has helped me avoid a ton of jams.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, I haven't really used D-Walker at all but all the customization options look like they could be a ton of fun. I've mostly used Quiet in my current playthrough. Her fire support is incredibly helpful and it never gets old to have her ricochet a grenade into a group of enemies. It's also the most effective way to take down helicopters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I want an Oreo milkshake now, drat.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I never got into coffee. Right now I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

hatty posted:

Gen X really wants you to know that they drank from the garden hose all the time, very strange

Also latchkeys. Gen X loving loves talking about latchkeys.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Honestly, I would have given First SOLDIER a shot if it wasn't mobile only. I knew a couple of people playing it and they actually seemed to enjoy it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I liked NEO TWEWY a lot. Haven't done the post-game stuff yet, but the main story was really enjoyable.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

When I was looking up 1994 on my Year of the Game vote, I found out that a magazine (I think GameFan) didn't go with GOTY candidates like Earthbound, Final Fantasy III/VI, Donkey Kong Country, or Super Metroid. They went with Clockwork Knight.

I looked up some gameplay footage, and it looked weirdly similar to the SNES Toy Story game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

That toy story game rules so hard.

I love how it just has a doom level thrown in there halfway through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksRULxaJhE0

The toy story 2 collectathon platformer was also incredibly good.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about that level.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Which 90s movie tie in games were good? I remember having Toy Story, but I only recall playing Lion King and Aladdin at friends' houses.

Edit: Oh, I did have the Game Gear versions of Lion King and Aladdin. They weren't great!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

If we're going beyond Disney movies (well, at the time), the Super Star Wars series was really good if not frustratingly difficult. The wampas on Hoth still haunt me.

I think one of the weirdest tie ins I played was a demo for a FPS based on Disney's Atlantis. It was a multiplayer game kind of like Quake???

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

haha what posted:

so whats everyone playing today?

i wanted to play pokemon but i had to send my joycons to doug bowser so im watching jerma vods instead

Tried the Warhammer 40k Darktide beta. It's pretty fun!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Mirrors Edge was a lot of fun.

Did Catalyst end up being good? All I can remember about it is during development they modelled the villain after the EA CEO, then he found out, and then suddenly they had a new model :v:

I love both Mirror's Edge and Catalyst. Catalyst suffers a lot from mid 2010s AAA bloat, but running around the city was a ton of fun. Catalyst also had a really cool combat system that encouraged keeping up speed and momentum, and it would be great to see another game incorporate those mechanics. But really, I want another Mirror's Edge game, but I don't think it'll ever happen again. :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I hope Austin Creed got some of those $30k paydays.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I haven't played Dead Space, but even with the Legendary edition changes, Mass Effect 1 still felt pretty dated when I replayed it. 2 and 3 hold up better, but they're definitely still mid-2000s games.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

My only knowledge of Bloober is that clip of the baby running into a wall.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Found a tweet thread covering The Medium, and uh yeah, it sounds really gross. Trigger warnings for molestation, rape, murder, the holocaust and suicide.
https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1356295962524835840?t=H2OIk0VDs3vRRu-kxs1Nyw&s=19

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 19, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

hatty posted:

wolbachia

I hit that point in MGS V and it's just as goofy as I remember it. Although since I knew it was coming, I've been able to just embrace the silliness of it all. I did have a good laugh during one of my favorite parts of Huey being the worst when he shoots a half dead Skull Face and goes "I DID IT! I GOT REVENGE!!! :haw:".

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I recently watched No Time to Die, and it was really funny to see that the villain's plan was basically FoxDie. Even the final location of the movie felt like it could fit in a Metal Gear game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_ESTnBlS0

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I found a copy of Parasite Eve 1 in a used game store, but it was like, $60. The used games market is really dumb.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Going to ignore any parts of reviews that comment on the Bayonetta 3 characters. This is going to come across as a hot take, but Bayonetta 1 & 2 had pretty nuanced and complex character writing that most reviewers completely missed or flew over their heads. The storyline might have been really basic, but Bayonetta has been a very complicated and well written character with themes explored that have really not been done in games before. The only review i've really seen that understands her correctly was from GameTrailers (RIP) for the Wii U review.

I think that's the reviewer's issue with 3. She loved the characters in 1 and 2 but it seems like 3 ruins what the first 2 games built.

Seeing the replies to the review on social media, it looks like a bunch of people also seem concerned about the game after reading it, so it's not like no one cares about that. I'm not too familiar with the queer readings in the series, but I'm not going to doubt her views on it.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 25, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

That is fair! Many of the reviews for Bayonetta 2 were annoying and bad, so I wanted to avoid reading them for Bayo 3. Game releases this Friday, so we'll all know soon enough and can form our own opinions.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. I definitely don't want to seem like I'm trying to jump on you, so apologies if it came off that way. Like you said, we'll see soon enough.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Is victoria 3 good for people that are stupid and do not have map game experience except for stellaris asking for a friend

Actually very curious about this as well. I also thought CK3 was overwhelming.

Edit: I think my biggest issue was CK3 was that I couldn't wrap my head around all the different titles and what level of power and control they had.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Sex cards in Unreal Engine 5

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I was kind of looking forward to the Suicide Squad game since pro-wrestler Samoa Joe was apparently voicing King Shark. I'll be a bit disappointed if the game turned out to be a mess.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

How's the new Modern Warfare? Saw some streamers playing it and it seemed pretty neat.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I like it but the multiplayer is very barebones. In comparison to the last three Call of Duties, this one feels very thrown together and rushed out. I think they had to really split up their time and resources between this and the 2.0 update to Warzone. The Battle Royale mode is way more popular now for CoD, so Activision is focusing the most attention on that, on top of getting rid of almost all of their QA employees because they unionized; so there was almost no bug and exploit testing and the game is pretty buggy.

Oof, maybe I'll hold off until they potentially fix the bugs/add more content. It's a bit disappointing to hear because I had so much fun with the multiplayer in original Modern Warfare 2. You would think that the higher ups would want to make sure that the team would be able make a worthy successor of one of their most liked game in the franchise, but that's Activision for you, I guess. :shrug:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I recall hearing that Henry Cavill is a big fan of the books and gave a lot of his input/suggestions on stuff, but I don't know about the rest of the crew having a disdain for the source material. The loudest complaints I've heard about the show not being faithful to the books were from a racist subset of the fandom mad that the cast isn't all white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Late to the XIV chat, but I think Endwalker has been my favorite so far, but I can see how others may have different ones as their favorite. Endwalker resonated with me a lot in many ways, but all of them have been great to me, except for 1.0 I guess since I never played it. I've also met some great people through the game and have a lot of fun doing stuff with them.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 31, 2022