Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions on the following games I will probably buy at least one of them to play through this weekend:

omori
klonoa collection
touhou luna nights
the sekimeiya: spun glass

from previous thread, the middle two are extremely good, haven't played the other two. i like luna nights a lot more than the same dev's later lodoss war game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
happy spooky games month. it's time to play resident evil 1 for the first time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also time to play this eerie sm64 rom hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjjmRH_yPyg

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Original or Remake?

remake! i might check out the original at some point as a curiosity

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

too late I already bought and finished it!!! Actually I do agree you had to rely on the time powers a little too much for regular enemies and in the final (final) area I found myself just running past some of them but it's a cool gimmick and the bosses were v fun even if I only recognised two of them. Only thing is I found that sword weapon and using it on the last three bosses almost felt like cheating idk

I am kind of curious how much of a difference it makes in the flandre fight if you had spent lots of money at the shop/I never sold any of my gems since none the items seemed worth it

the sword is op but i think i ended up going back to the chainsaw as my go-to. but yeah i also never bought anything so idk! probably not though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah I figured. Just getting to that point from the start going on 5-6 hours and getting "hi, sorry but you need to choose whether to save the world or send niko home and no you can't close the window now" was enough for me for me to call it quits for the night. Not in the right headspace.

I was hoping ending the process was a solution too and I thought I'd gotten one up on the game since it didn't want me closing out at the choice, but that didn't work so I thought "nah gently caress this I'll do this later."

the older freeware version of the game does just end there 😭

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also genuinely bummed about gamefaqs getting sold, fandom is a blight

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's also the American beef ads which have the Aaron Copland music in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oR1Vh3DfqM

I'm gonna give aaron copeland a wedgie

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stux posted:

play mania wtf

this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

the new overwatch designs look just as bad and soulless as the old ones. one of the most unappealing games ive ever seen

the office they're the same picture dot jpg

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Kickstarting a Charles Martinet redub of the SMB movie.

And not the new one.

The 1993 version with Bob Hoskins.

why? bob hoskins is a treasure

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
klonoa is goated

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

i can't watch this until i finish heroes and then play the volleyball game!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

Oh my god look at this art Temmie made of Yoko Shimomura and Toby Fox

https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1579765015489302530?s=46&t=xjrVzhv5dpQ9I9F1AdNwng

temmie ftw

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

I remember when this thread used to be about video games

gimme a second

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
during a previous spooky season i played a bunch of halloween themed super mario world rom hacks and this year i thought i'd do the same for super mario 64. its decompilation means people can do basically whatever they want, which has led to some really remarkable hacks, spooky and otherwise

Mario's Candy Quest is an all around solid single level hack that feels like it would be right at home in actual mario. each star gets its own big setpiece and corner of the level, and all the enemies and npcs and stars have gotten appropriate reskins. find the seven grand candies and defeat the pumpkin king! this one is definitely on the easy side and there didn't seem to be any kind of ending state that i could find, but it was a very pleasant way to spend an hour or so

Regular Pasta starts off innocuous enough, you're visiting a successful pasta restaurant that sources all of its pasta from a pasta painting upstairs, which leads into the pasta dimension. but once you get further inside things take a turn for the... irregular. this hack was submitted for a creepypasta contest and appropriately goes off the rails pretty hard by the end, concluding with a chaotic mess of a custom boss. this gets hard in a kinda janky way at two particular points, one early on involving pasta sauce surfing and one at said boss, but it's well worth checking out if you like goofy creepypasta humor

Super Event Horizon is based on the movie of the same name. i've never seen event horizon but this hack rules and def succeeds at fostering an unsettling atmosphere as you delve into the titular ship. it's laid out in a linear fashion and you'll need at least 20 of the 30 total stars to reach the final boss, but there is a small hub you can choose to visit that allows backtracking. takes some liberties with creating its own areas for the sake of length but it all felt pretty natural to me

ELISE wasn't intended to be spooky but it is inspired by yume nikki so i decided to check it out anyway and i'm glad i did. the visuals and dreamy vibes in this are off the charts!! every room looks incredible, tons and tons of custom assets and music and a real slick custom boss. there's even voice acting! i was, pretty blown away by this tbh, mario 64 has no business looking this pretty

also, i'd be remiss if i didn't mention Shrek Retold 64. rather than talking about the game, i'll just link its official bandcamp: https://teamcornersoft.bandcamp.com/album/shrek-retold-64-soundtrack

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Ib and Witch's House imo

gotta wait for the switch port

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Metis of the Hallway posted:

do you know i somehow didn't cotton on that you were playing spooky rom hacks because it's spooky season. i thought you were just playing weird hacks for normal looper reasons

that can also be true

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've also played Garfield: Desolation and The Dark World (complete with a fully functioning rpg battle system in mario 64)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
golden sun....64!

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the mario 64 liminal spaces 1.0 hack out yet?

3133 or 3313 or whatever number it was called?

not yet, but soon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

Castlevania 64 is fine, it gets a bit too much hate

this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
though tbh i haven't played the og, but legacy of darkness is solid

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bet mario is anti vax

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i finally actually started re1 (remake) and crimson heads are scary! so is lisa trevor! doing jill route, working through the residence map right now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
stay safe gamer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
finished re1. while i frequently found myself wishing i had just a little bit more inventory space, that was mostly because i was bad at judging what i really needed. it was good. gotta love barry

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
chain of memories isn't a very good deckbuilder but i kinda like it anyway

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pm64 is better than tyd

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr E posted:

Got up to "the truth" in MGS V, and it's all just so bad. Huey sucks, it sucks that nothing story wise in this game really means anything, we don't really know what Boss was actually doing while his double did his job and it doesn't really matter in the end due to everything that happens with the Patriots and Ocelot. It also sucks that after mission 30 most of the missions are repeats and the very last "story" mission is a repeat of the bad tutorial. Would have been nice to have an actual character outside of the taps for Ocelot and more of a character than an anger elemental that is Kaz in MGSV.

Love the game while playing it, really hate it any time I'm having to hear story. Except for Kaz's hamburgers, those tapes were good.

mgs5 ocelot has a strong intro but is such a disappointment after that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's always dissapointing to hear someone recall their experince of V with displeasure. It's one of the most fascinating and metatextual video games ever made, even more so than 2, but because gamers brains have become so lax in their ability to understand stories that aren't told purely through prose.

Let's consider some examples. Full Spoilers for V. Will follow.

1. The game puts us in the role of Venom leader of the newly founded Diamond Dogs. What is Diamond Dogs, in the game it's a mercenary outfit composed of the remnants of Military Sans Frontiers. Consider the difference in Titles. MSF implies them to be (human) soldiers whom fight outside the modern nationstate concept. MSF, falling is the death of that very same Nationstate concept within the MGS universe, as Cipher spreads it's influence the lines on the map begin to fade away. As is referenced in 4, Big Boss and Zero ended up arriving at similar philosophical endpoints as a result of the Boss's death, but their methods and route to get their differed. Zero used the influence of Cipher to dissolve the border of a nation into nothingness. BB chose to try and create a stateless army, effectively removing soldiers from the Nationstate equation. Each ends up creating a society that still goes to war, but the facade of USA or USSR are purely illusory. The Transition from MSF to Diamond Dogs shows the degradation of their own founding purpose. They, the soldiers have been hardened by the forces they've faced, but they've also become less than human, mere beasts that run wild picking at the ashes of the battlefield. We can extend this further into Outer Heaven as well, where the reality is so far afield from it's foundation that it results in an organization that willfully embraces that it's members are all damned to wait eternally outside the gates of heaven.

2. Now let's look at Diamond Dogs out of the text. Obviously it's a reference to the Bowie Album of the same name. But let's not stop at just calling something a reference and actually look at the album and it's contents. It's a dystopian album inspired by 1984 and books of it's like. Sounds a lot like the plot of V, eh?
More importantly Bowie was a man who played many characters in his life, his character for this album was a man called Jack, Halloween Jack to be precise. Who is Jack? Obviously it's BB's real name, but why the Halloween part? It's as if someone is playing the role of Big Boss. Which if you've seen the Truth, you know is factual.

3.Why would Kojima pull the same trick twice though? Did he really think he could get us with such a cheap Gotcha? No you fool, there's a reason. People give up thinking and end up disappointing because they didn't think things through. Every piece of media around the game has been leading us to believe that Venom is not Jack, the differing name, the weirdness in the cutscenes, the Man Who Sold The World Theme, saying two shadows were born, etc. The twist is not and never was, that you weren't playing as Big Boss, in fact you are playing as Big Boss is one part of the twist, the full twist is that YOU are Big Boss/Venom. Not you as some nebulous concept outside the reader of this post, but YOU the very player of the game. YOU were his best man, YOU helped build MSF, YOU watched it fall, YOU set out on a quest for revenge, YOU hired the men for your base, built nuclear weapons, deluded yourself into thinking Paz was still alive, and YOU put a bullet in the head of all the men YOU hired who placed their trust in you. Just like YOU put a bullet in the Boss's Head in MGS3. Remember? When you played MGS3, you finally defeated her, she was lying on the ground grievously wounded and someone pulled the trigger. Whom was that, Jack didn't. You can sit at that scene forever and Jack won't do a thing. No, YOU need to be the one to pull the trigger. When that bullet is fired YOU became Big Boss just as much as Jack did. YOU share in every accomplishment and are complicit in every crime. Kojima for all his repuatation as a glory hog auteur, made his final outing in the MGS universe a love letter to his fans. We were always his best man, his shadow, we were the co authors of the MGS saga and will continue to be in perpetuity as each player of V decides how they'll define the legend of Big Boss.

couldn't have said it better myself, mgs5 is fail

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

The story and characters are epic

it's the best metal gear, easily

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm not sure Platinum even knows how to make Bayonetta games anymore.

Bayonetta 2 reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 3 where they changed so many little things about the combat that plays nothing like the original, just worse.

it's better

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
re1 and 2 remakes were good 😤

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not sure about 3, haven't played it yet

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I'm just here to paint the map my country's colour

have you heard the good word about splatoon?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i put a long play of the og resident evil 1 on last night while making dinner and it's kinda mind boggling that the original didn't have lisa trevor or crimson heads, top tier additions

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 20, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
metal max 3 gives every boss at least two rare drops and they vary from completely useless joke item to the best tank engine in the game 🫠

that says I'm not going for any of them. what will be, will be

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

how are you liking this, should i slap it onto my hacked 3ds

aside from tank customization the battle system is fairly dry, think older dragon quest complete with recruiting your party members at a bar. the tank progression feels rewarding though and all the incidental writing with npcs and quests has a pretty unique flavor. you're all out there trying to survive in the post-apocalypse without letting the past drag you down. some of the quests involve getting like 40 of a kind of annoying item to get and you'll wonder what the point is, and then you'll get a bio-mechanical triceratops tank that can gain experience and grow new parts and realize that yes, it was worth it

my biggest issue is that you can't see descriptions of any of your actions (weapons, skills, items) in battle so you kinda just have to, memorize things. i would also recommend saving before interacting with special tank shell merchants because my game has frozen three times in those shop menus for whatever reason. but bugs and stuff aside i'm really digging what the game's putting down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
modding a wii u is extremely easy and worthwhile, and for zelda you could play every game in the series up to twilight princess hd on one

I said come in! posted:

With the Wii U, you have to redo the softmod each time you boot up the system. No one really put much effort into the Wii U since so few people bought the system.

this is a matter of highlighting the softmod icon and pressing the a button. it's more trivial than putting a disc in the console. it's also not true anyway, the scene is still active and making improvements

i bought and modded a super slim ps3 last week and i would say homebrew for it is a way bigger pita than anything for other consoles I've messed with. no consistency or cohesion, contradictory advice everywhere. but at least now i can play mgs4

Looper fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 24, 2022