Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

If you don't find it funny that the game that criticizes capitals ability to subsume criticism of it into itself and sell it back to you, having its own criticism subsumed and sold back in the form of an Amazon TV show while gutting the heart of the company, you should probably clean out your humor glands

It's one of those sad lols, like when a Dark Souls NPC laughs at the end of their dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The last time they remastered a game from just one console generation prior it was The Last of Us (lol) and at least in that case the game ran pretty poorly on the PS3 and could actually hit 1080p and 60fps on the PS4, so it was a marked upgrade.

Horizon Zero Dawn can already be played at 4k and 60fps on the PS5. What's a remaster going to add? Marginally better lighting? The weird hair physics from Forbidden West?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It almost certainly will. Every mainline Final Fantasy is currently playable on PC. It'd be very weird for FFXVI to never make its way there. It'll probably be roughly a year between the PS5 and PC releases.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Both non-Nintendo consoles seem to be positioning themselves more as cheaper alternatives to a powerful gaming PC more than a place where you play games you can't play anywhere else, it's just that Microsoft is doing that intentionally (and has been for a few years now, they don't care if you have an Xbox or not as long as you subscribe to GamePass) while Sony seems to be just... ending up there.

But it also doesn't seem like it's hurting them. It's not like demand for the PS5 has let up. Just an interesting and weird situation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing about the lack of first-party development for the PS5 is that one of the PS5's big features is its controller, with lots of unique features that basically no third-party is ever going to implement in a multiplatform game. Pretty much only first-party games are ever going to make use of that kind of thing and they're just not there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is truly remarkable how committed Fandom is to making their wiki completely unusable in mobile browsers. The giant autoplaying videos that scroll with you are infuriating.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's hypothetically possible if they get multiple teams up and running and also the games are much more similar to one another than the three Witcher games, like if they're all built on the same basic framework like the three Assassin's Creed Ezio games or something it could happen.

But it seems pretty unlikely

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

lucio is okay but the other ones either look exactly the same (winston, tracer) or look completely stupid (genji and mei)

why does genji need a robo-hoodie

I like the robo hoodie

But genji and lucio's are the only ones I even kinda like, the rest are pretty clear downgrades or barely perceptible changes (winston)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

I don't even know who any of those people are

they're the main cast of battleborn

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Larryb posted:

Pratt’s already gone on record as saying he’s not doing an accent for this movie so I assume he’ll just be playing Chris Pratt again

well then why even bother with any of this!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

The best whip

hell yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

CRJ had the song to start the summer, she is also the one who will end it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2uV8H6A2o

This song is so loving good

CRJ is win

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 9, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I had COVID my girlfriend’s dad dropped off a McDonald’s vanilla shake for me and for some reason, in that moment, it was the best thing I’d ever tasted. Not a great milkshake by any objective measure but it made my throat stop burning for just a little bit and tasted sweet and pleasant and for a short time I felt like I might not die

Milkshakes are good, is my main thesis here

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

jesus christ that's what metaverse looks like?

that's what techbros are losing their minds over?

yeah lol the future is dumb as poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Absolutely yes. FFX-2, FFXII and FFVI are all next year. In fact, next is Symphony of the Night, then Wind Waker and I think that takes me to the end of the year. I am not sure. I have a whole mega huge list of games and I wish I could play them all now. This year being a jRPG and Zelda revelation has been extremely pleasant to me.

Two of the best games ever, hell yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hatty posted:

Did lemon party come back or did they skip it and go straight for tub girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bvHlb2Fe8

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the one hand, that's the same price range as the Xbox Elite Controllers so the price isn't raising my eyebrows compared to what it's competing with, assuming it offers comparable features.

On the other hand, lmao

(also the Xbox Elite Controllers have terrible quality control, don't make my mistake and get one and then your RB stops working at exactly the time the warranty expires, and also don't get Sony's version either)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

£210 is steep but i have to admit it looks great

Still wish I could've tried one of these out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1582429607042564097

Can't the Switch just do this on a software level without 200 dollar controllers

I thought the Playstation could do that on the system level, or at least you could on PS4.

Did they remove it from PS5 so they could sell it back to you with a new controller?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do people actually like Bloober Team's games? Because they seem to be doing fairly well for themselves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PS5 is the console of the timed exclusive

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is just cruel at this point

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CRJ is epic, sorry haters

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RIP to the original PC version of Dark Souls

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821064420716544?s=20&t=qIZWnSqY1xaqj3NKeyVPCg

This isn't a huge shock--they're not even selling that version anymore--but still, end of an era. The remaster will still have its servers brought back but the original Prepare to Die Edition is offline forever.

Not quite as sad as when the PS3 Demon's Souls servers went down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There certainly used to be ways to rent consoles but I don't know if any of them still exist

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwgQRQJjfQ

This the only Sterling I wanna be seein

this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah I wanna see Veeg play a SaGa game one of these days

SaGa Frontier is my favorite but I feel like Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is probably more approachable. Luckily by the time he might get around to it they'll both have readily available remasters to play

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SaGa games are one of the JRPG deep ends. There are several different "deep ends" in the JRPG pool and they don't necessarily intersect. Lots of bigtime JRPG fans don't vibe with SaGa even as they dive happily into other weird or niche JRPGs (and vice versa).

You gotta be okay with a game that's going to tell you only a portion of what you should probably know to succeed, will actively reject your attempts to follow a linear storyline (especially SaGa Frontier, multiple scenarios will just punch you straight in the face if you try to just follow the story), will make side quests appear and disappear for seemingly no reason at all (and once you do know the reason it'll just make you go :psyduck:), where sometimes they gently caress with the skill learning formulas just because even the designers don't want to know how it works.

For some people, like me, that list of features is straight-up jolly and these games are an endless font of joy. For others, they're just obtuse, hair-pulling experiences that make you long for how understandable Dark Souls NPC quests are by comparison. When I recommend SaGa games I usually lead with the weird because if someone hears about how the skill system designer in SaGa Frontier changed values so even he wouldn't understand how it works and goes "lol that owns," that probably means they'll have a good time. And if they hear that story and go "what the hell that sounds like Bad Game Design" then they can safely disregard my recommendation, no harm, no foul.

The series does vary pretty widely when it comes to how obtuse it is. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is pretty approachable (unless you're trying to 100% it, hahaha have fun learning about event rank!!!) while SaGa Frontier can be really obtuse, and then it keeps going even further and you get games like Unlimited SaGa that even most SaGa fans look at and say "hey what the gently caress"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

SaGa post-Gameboy really just feels like a JRPG trying to be a Western RPG*, with how the games are largely mostly pretty open and the story can vary wildly with some poo poo like Romancing SaGa 2 having entire scenarios play out completely differently depending on when you found them.

*I mean this in the best possible way

Interestingly I think there's a good amount of crossover between SaGa and Souls games, which your Western RPG comparison made me think about.

They're very different kinds of games, obviously, but there's like a shared design ethos there. Hidetaka Miyazaki has talked about how one of the inspirations for Souls games is how he used to read fantasy books in English wen he was younger and only understand portions, having to fill in the rest with his imagination. He wanted to capture that feeling in his games. The SaGa games also capture a similar feeling.

If the obtuse or obscure parts of Souls games are a source of joy more than frustration for someone, they'll probably have a good time with SaGa, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Also I have no knowledge of them whatsoever other than their names have a capitalised G. I cannot even tell you which one Harrow told me I should play :shobon:

I probably recommended SaGa Frontier but honestly with the Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song remaster coming out soon, I might recommend that one as a first SaGa instead. I personally like Frontier better--it has an absolutely wild and really creative setting and I like how freeform it is--but RS Minstrel Song is definitely more approachable upfront.

Either one would be great, though. It's basically down to whether you're more excited about a 2D game with an oddball science-fantasy setting and light narrative, or a 3D one with a more traditional fantasy setting and a bit more direction in the story. (Also FYI most SaGa games are pretty short but meant to be played multiple times so when you do get around to one, I'd recommend doing at least two playthroughs with different main characters to see how things are different. SaGa Frontier especially has seven entirely separate main stories, each one being like 10 hours long or so, and it's worth playing them all.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

This is the one! You know how I love when stories get bonkers :D
Which one is this?

Frontier! My favorite

The main character choices include such highlights as "possibly kinda evil wizard," "shapeshifting robot with amnesia," and "lesbian unseelie fae/vampire queen"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Veeg when you do play SaGa Frontier don't hesitate to pop into the SaGa thread and ask for help if you need it, especially with things like "how does this skill learning system work" and "what the heck is going on with monster party members"

We've got a few people--like me--with weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of the game who are all to happy to talk about the game forever

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Veeg, when you get around to playing grim fandango, hmu if you get stuck, I think I remember most of the puzzle solutions

this is how I know you haven't played SaGa Frontier lol

Nobody in the world has ever managed to make a monster party member better than a paperweight without pulling up this 17-year-old GameFAQs guide, reading it three times from beginning to end, and still not entirely understanding it but lucking into a weird crystal tree form somehow anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I like to get utterly stuck first, and somehow magoo my way out of things without understanding why ;) However yes. I would drop in. I want to drop into the FF megathread but there would be so much unspoiled posts that I will have to wait for a while.

I'm gonna have a great time watching you stream SaGa Frontier because if anyone in the world can magoo their way into wild success on a first playthrough, it's you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also Veeg when you do play SaGa Frontier don't hesitate to pop into the SaGa thread and ask for help if you need it, especially with things like "how does this skill learning system work" and "what the heck is going on with monster party members"

We've got a few people--like me--with weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of the game who are all to happy to talk about the game forever

oh also to clarify this is less an offer of "lemme give you a walkthrough :yayclod:" which yeah no that would be dumb, and more that we're there to help if you find yourself in a situation where suddenly all the enemies everywhere are super strong and no matter what you do your team keeps getting owned and you don't even know what you did wrong. There's always a way out of a situation like that without having to start over but a new player probably wouldn't know where to look and it can get kinda frustrating

Though with Veeg's luck he'll probably neatly pirouette around that entirely and somehow be the only person in the world to finish Riki's scenario and not have invented a new curse word along the way

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

rarity's av has a spoon in her mouth but the ice cream hasn't been dug into yet, implying that she just likes the metallic taste of the spoon

this is the kind of hard-hitting exposé we need around here, the truth must be heard

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I play ed saga frontier earlier this year and it was pure unbridled joy and that was after bouncing off it super hard like a d0dge ball to the back of the head all those years ago!!!

Hell yeah!!

fridge corn posted:

Harrow, accounting for my rekindled love for SaGa games, what SaGa game would you recommend I play next given that I've only ever played (or attempted to play) Frontier 1 and 2...???

If you want one right now, SaGa Scarlet Grace is really fun. Really stripped-down presentation but one of the coolest battle systems around and it's surprisingly funny, too.

If you can wait a month or so, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song's getting a remaster that'll probably be pretty good, going by the SaGa remaster track record. It's the only other SaGa game I've sunk as much time into as Frontier. Pretty different (more standard medieval fantasy setting, characters all have the same main story but different things along the way, and there's a class system) but it's really good.

Also the music is 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXFGPtiMqqA

FirstAidKite posted:

Only "possibly"? :P

Hey, he gets a lot nicer after he merges with his brother, regardless of who wins. His new Fuse ending in the remaster is even downright noble!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Hey now, that's not entirely fair, they might've used this guide instead. :v:

lol yeah I couldn't decide which one to link

Let's also learn about the sparking system, which I'm sure will be completely intuitive when clearly explained and... oh boy that's a lot of variables huh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Honestly sparking is the easier one, because you can just ignore all the actual mechanics, look at the move tree, and run to the Bio Research Lab to spark what you want

Arzaac posted:

oh poo poo wait i didn't realize that mastery increases the chance of sparking arts

oh but you need magic mastery for gun arts? I mean I get it I guess but drat

lol yep!

Sparking isn't all that complicated really no, it's just funny to see how many variables go into it that even people who've played a bunch don't know about

fridge corn posted:

The hardest art to spark is always the last one you need for DSC

It's kinda funny how almost every character has at least one DSC move that's not in their preferred moves list so there's always at least one move that's really hard to spark.

But anyone can learn it if you're stubborn enough. Just ask me about teaching Blue the DSC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

It's one of Emelia's biggest strengths, because she can switch her talent list to learn DSC really easily

Yep, this is why I always recommend martial arts for Emelia

Meanwhile she's always depicted with guns but IIRC has one of the worst spark lists for guns. Not that that's a huge deal, gun skills aren't too bad to spark because there isn't a ton of them.