Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cheetah7071 posted:

october is the month to play retro games you missed while you wait for the real stuff to come out in november

im gonna play yggdra union, i think

But I already did that last month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

bravestofthelamps junior over here

Now that's a name I havent heard in a long time

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sort it out rarity

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I've resubbed to ff14 for a month while I wait for tactics ogre reborn... I javent played in over 2 years

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I just did the shadowbringers 5.3 trial and there was like no joke 3 hours of cutscenes after

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

What fruit juice isnt also sugary sweet?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Whizzing Wizard posted:

This thread has an Atelier defender, it needs a Star Ocean defender. It's not going to be me, but somebody needs to step up!

I've been playing the rerelease of the psp port of the first game and I've been enjoying in as much as it's a very 90s jrpg and that's an aesthetic I have a great capacity to appreciate. I would like to play the second one too if they ever decide to rerelease it. The rest of the series looks meh. The new one looks meh

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

DS version of Chrono Trigger is best version of Chrono Trigger

This is true.... but for how long..????

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yoshis island is koji kondos best work

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Finally finished Shadowbringers 5.x stuff. I did not particularly enjoy the last duty. Oh well, starting Endwalker tomorrow!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I will always contend that magic the gathering is one of the greatest card games ever created yet completely undone by the ppl who play it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Some of the guys in my board game group play MTG religiously, and the will constantly talk about deck composition and it's so weird and alien even to me who enjoys gaming in all its different shapes.

Some of the players they talk about in the local TCG scene seem so insanely toxic

I havent played paper magic in about 20 years. I only relatively recently started playing it again when the Arena client was launched on mobile. The game is so much more complicated these days than it was 20 years ago that I honestly dont know how it's even still playable in paper with so many things to keep track of, things the Arena client does for you quite nicely. Arena also solves the toxic body odour problem by removing the person you're playing against from the room and you can even mute them as well (you should). It's also a great way to play limited magic which is the best way to play the game imo, it's so much more involved and requires more skill than just putting the most expensive cards in a deck together.

But of course as a f2p player you have to contend with the slow grind to accumulate in game currency in order to play

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

this is why limited should be the fnm of choice of any game store that wants to actually introduce people to the game

well not the body odor thing

:hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

The only time I go to Twitch is to watch VG :hai:

Same. Oh and the occasional brainmage stream when I can catch him.

Oh there's a few mtg players I watch... although rarely...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ff14 Endwalker: g'raha tia's constant tory power stance pose is really distracting :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Endwalker: alisaie's new outfit looks dumb

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

What about English ESL speakers are they also insects?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

What about ppl who can speak english but are currently speaking a different language at the time. Insect?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

im sure if you can contort the person telling off americans into being problematic and evil if you keep going. youre nearly there.

Woosh

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

hatty posted:

are we posting dumb things no one cares about?

#GuessTheGame #159

🎮 🟥 🟥 🟩 ⬛ ⬛ ⬛

https://guessthe.game/

Got the bloodborne one in one guess. Feeling powerful

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Wife is a puzzow

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

Most people think CRJ hasn't done any music since Call Me Maybe

Lol this is me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I still can't tell the difference between her and Taylor Swift

One has blonde hair the other one doesnt op

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

Actually they both have blonde hair

My bad, I guess they really are indistinguishable :shrug:

;)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

SaGa games are one of the JRPG deep ends. There are several different "deep ends" in the JRPG pool and they don't necessarily intersect. Lots of bigtime JRPG fans don't vibe with SaGa even as they dive happily into other weird or niche JRPGs (and vice versa).

You gotta be okay with a game that's going to tell you only a portion of what you should probably know to succeed, will actively reject your attempts to follow a linear storyline (especially SaGa Frontier, multiple scenarios will just punch you straight in the face if you try to just follow the story), will make side quests appear and disappear for seemingly no reason at all (and once you do know the reason it'll just make you go :psyduck:), where sometimes they gently caress with the skill learning formulas just because even the designers don't want to know how it works.

For some people, like me, that list of features is straight-up jolly and these games are an endless font of joy. For others, they're just obtuse, hair-pulling experiences that make you long for how understandable Dark Souls NPC quests are by comparison. When I recommend SaGa games I usually lead with the weird because if someone hears about how the skill system designer in SaGa Frontier changed values so even he wouldn't understand how it works and goes "lol that owns," that probably means they'll have a good time. And if they hear that story and go "what the hell that sounds like Bad Game Design" then they can safely disregard my recommendation, no harm, no foul.

The series does vary pretty widely when it comes to how obtuse it is. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is pretty approachable (unless you're trying to 100% it, hahaha have fun learning about event rank!!!) while SaGa Frontier can be really obtuse, and then it keeps going even further and you get games like Unlimited SaGa that even most SaGa fans look at and say "hey what the gently caress"

I play ed saga frontier earlier this year and it was pure unbridled joy and that was after bouncing off it super hard like a d0dge ball to the back of the head all those years ago!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow, accounting for my rekindled love for SaGa games, what SaGa game would you recommend I play next given that I've only ever played (or attempted to play) Frontier 1 and 2...???

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I cant wait for veeg to play saga frontier on stream so I can impress everyone with how deeply I studied 25 year old gamefaqs guides while I was playing it lmao

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah!!

If you want one right now, SaGa Scarlet Grace is really fun. Really stripped-down presentation but one of the coolest battle systems around and it's surprisingly funny, too.

If you can wait a month or so, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song's getting a remaster that'll probably be pretty good, going by the SaGa remaster track record. It's the only other SaGa game I've sunk as much time into as Frontier. Pretty different (more standard medieval fantasy setting, characters all have the same main story but different things along the way, and there's a class system) but it's really good.

Also the music is 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXFGPtiMqqA

Hey, he gets a lot nicer after he merges with his brother, regardless of who wins. His new Fuse ending in the remaster is even downright noble!

Waiting about a month or so sounds perfect since I've got tactics ogre reborn preordered :D

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The hardest art to spark is always the last one you need for DSC

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Show of hands please of everyone who is still vibrating exuberantly since the suikoden 1+2 hd remaster announcement 🙋‍♂️

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I can honestly say that I've been asked a million times why I play games. And I normally just shrug and say "It's a hobby.", but that's a lie. Because when I'm in game, I'm at home. From the flames of cataclysm to the icy mountains of Tamriel, anywhere I venture, is a place I love and know. My entire life people preach that I could be anything that I wanted to be. But when I told them I wanted to be the captain of a ship, a spaceship, THE spaceship that saves humanity, that I wanted to be Commander Shepard they told me I need to get a grip on reality. And to them a grip on a reality means the American dream, working nine to five crammed up in a tiny cubicle having two-point-five kids, a two story suburban house and a white picket fence. I divorce once, and I'd have debt into my early thirties because I took some bullshit university degree that's suppose to help me in the end. This isn't reality, this is just a dull outlook on it. Now I understand it's human nature to achieve greatness, but I can do this as Commander Shepard, I don't need a degree. And if I want to go on an adventure I don't ever have to leave the comfort of my home. Yet, people spend an entire salary to travel and I can't help but laugh. I've single-handedly stopped a reign of ancient wyverns from destroying a nation, but before I could do that do I had to:

• Learn their language
• Become a master in Swordsmanship, Smithing, Archery, Defense, Magic, Speech, Hunting and Thieving!

Not to mention I had to take down an entire fleet of assassins along with a brigade of smugglers before I could even START my lessons in Dragon's Speak. I've always enjoyed an adventure, but I hated pawning my limbs to afford an eighteen-hour car ride. And aside from being told that I can enjoy a white-picket fence at the end of my career, all my years as a student was a balance between Fractal Formulas and believing I'd never be able to love which is literal INSANITY. I've saved Princess Peach. I wanted to be the guy, and I became the guy. I saved Bandage Girl. And I've been Link for generations just to save Princess Zelda. But yet, I'm the eternal virgin, I'm the guy that's never going to love. And sometimes this poo poo doesn't make sense to me, why people assume that I need to be out doing something and away from home to have fun when I have my own reality grasped between my hands. I have my own world at my fingertips, if I screw something up I can rewind time. I can't do that in real life, but when I'm in game I'm free to do what I please, when I please, I'm free to enjoy things the way I want to. I can build my own Kingdom and lead my people to freedom because I'm the mind behind the game. I'm the one who enjoys these games.

I am a gamer.
And I always will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I love trombone champ

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I skipped a bunch of posts did I miss anything? No spoilers pls

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Havent even bothered to finish season 2

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Almost finished with Endwalker and I think it's my least favourite expansion. It's been really disappointing. I think I like ARR more than it :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

it's very loud about its message and if it happens to be one you don't agree with you can't just ignore it because it's the opposite of subtle. I have no idea about fridge corn in particular but I've definitely seen people reject it from a theological standpoint, being upset at the buddhist-inspired "suffering is inherent to life" framing because they're too attached to christianity-style "suffering is caused by sin" to set it aside even while reading fiction

there's also the people who finished it then immediately spent a month in the spoiler thread nitpicking every little detail until they've convinced themselves its awful

As someone who has studied and practiced Buddhism at points in my life I immediately recognised and appreciated the messaging of Endwalker, but I was also so already familiar with it that it didnt carry any significant weight for me. That said I felt the expansion ended very well, had some great character moments and I even got a bit teary eyed toward the end.

My comments are lacking in much needed context. Final Fantasy 14 is exceedingly good and Endwalker is no exception but I feel it is lacking in several areas and it failed to reach the highs set by previous expansions. Part of this may be down to hype and my of expectations of it from reading ppls reaction to it in last years goty thread and elsewhere. I understand why ppl enjoyed it so much but for me it didnt hit as hard. This may be due to simple personal preference to what I find interesting or enjoyable in a story and I appreciate Endwalker wasnt trying to tell that story. I dont think Endwalker is bad, I was just expecting to enjoy it more than I did.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

1. Stormblood
2. Heavensward
3. Shadowbringers
4. A Realm Reborn
5. Endwalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003