Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I remember people talking about Slay the Spire a lot one year, and I noticed it was in my game library, so I decided to give it a go.

It is the second card game game I have played (after Dicey Dungeons, which might be a card game game, but I am not sure) and I can see how it could be moreish.

Funnily, though, I can not get past act 1 as the Ironclad after 6 or so tries. I have gotten past Act 1 as the Defect and the Silent on my first try with each of them - their mechanics seem to work way better with my brain.

Pretty neat game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Finished FFX yesterday. It stuck the landing. Every FF game I have played has left me utterly happy with how everything finished. So far, with only 5 games under my belt, there are no bad Final Fantasy games. Each one is off doing whatever it wants to do unrestrained by the previous one and they have all been an utter delight to get involved in and beat!

I have a saved game from right before the end and I think I might attempt some of the post game stuff and grinding stuff just on my own time. It would be cool to win against a dark aeon.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It was a hostile sale, I had no input!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like Dr. Pepper, Pespiban Maxwell, Root Beer, Irn Bru, Tizer, Dark Berry Tango, Fruit Twist Tango, Ginger Beer, Dandelion and Burdock...heck, a lot of different fizzy drinks!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am playing Inscryption right now, then will be going into Symphony of the Night, so they are both sort of spooky. Dracula is spooky.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

SOTN is a pretty dang good october game.

And also the best game ever made.

I am looking forward to it! I recently played through bloodstained twice in a row and have heard SotN is the precursor to all this. I also played Metroid dread and had a fantastic time. Plus 2D platforming!

It is the PS4 version, though, because that is what I have installed on the PS5 and my PS3 dualshock left joystick fell out so I probably cannot use that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

PS4 version is packaged with Rondo of Blood which is also a super good game so you lucked out.

Amazingly I played my first metroid this year, with Dread and this will be my first castlevania all the way (I did try it out briefly at the end of 2021 when I had finished all my games). However, I have played a number of other castlevanias, like Blasphemous, Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, Shantae to name a few :)

I love 2D platformers, just love them to bits. My favourite kind of game above all, despite my favourite games of all time not being them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sorry I still have Inscryption to finish and Symphony of the Night to play before I get to Wind Waker this year and can understand...

However I have not played Twilight Price either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

and also, atelier ayesha

Correct. I was talking about the streaming side of my gaming, not my own time.

Now I have my new relaxing office, I can play more. I actually did some last week shortly before I moved. I went walking round the market town, spoke to people some more. I think I broke a quest. It keeps telling me to go buy a book from the cauldron, but I bought it before I got the quest so now there are no books. I had so much money I cleared it out right at the start :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

that's fairly impressive actually, I remember money being a bit tight for the first year or so

Oh. I am not sure how I did that then!
I made as much stuff as I could for all the town locals and only have one of those quests left as well. I really like crafting stuff. It makes pleasant noises and has a relaxing process.

Relax Or DIE posted:

guess we got a new atelier expert around these parts

Ha!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This is fantastic. :)

I beat Inscryption yesterday. Wild time and a LOT of fun. I have an appreciation for deck building games now. I wonder if I own any more somehow and can give them a try.

Also it is really nice to be playing banger after banger after banger. This year has been stacked - every game I have beaten, except 1, is at least 10/10 which renders the whole scale off the charts.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

You said FF X-2 next year? I'm counting the days

Absolutely yes. FFX-2, FFXII and FFVI are all next year. In fact, next is Symphony of the Night, then Wind Waker and I think that takes me to the end of the year. I am not sure. I have a whole mega huge list of games and I wish I could play them all now. This year being a jRPG and Zelda revelation has been extremely pleasant to me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

One of the highest of highlights :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

If you haven't already, definitely try Slay The Spire.

I have Slay the Spire and I am not particularly adept.

I have gotten to, but cannot beat the Act 1 boss as Ironclad.
I have beaten the Act 1 boss and gotten to the Act 2 boss as the silent.
I have managed to get near to the Act 3 boss as the defect, which is the character I am best at.

I guess I am the defect :)

If I were no longer using Avatars related to the game I am playing, this would be amazing to use :3:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I will always contend that magic the gathering is one of the greatest card games ever created yet completely undone by the ppl who play it

That full on MTG game you showed me the other day was actually really interesting. It did make me check to see if I had it on steam and I do have an MTG card game of some kind. I will have to do a double check to find out exactly what it is and if it still works. :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

Two of the best games ever, hell yes

Ha, I am getting my PS3 setup for Tuesday this evening. Gonna dualsense it seeing as my dualshock 3 fell apart the other day.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Whizzing Wizard posted:

VG is streaming SotN and he refuses to use any other subweapon than the hand so I had to turn off the stream in disgust

:( Hahaha I really like the dust. It is perfect to lay it down as a trap and get my swings in. Someone said it was the worst weapon in the game but has been awesome for me and the way I play.

Rarity posted:

Lol if you watch a VG stream expecting him to engage with the game mechanics as presented rather than as he imagines them to be in his head

OK while it is true so I occasionally get confused by my own brain and mix things up about how games work, at the same time I do complete them. ;)

Also I had a really, REALLY good time with Symphony of the night. Only got to play about 2 and a bit hours but made it past the chapel area. Killed some bosses (Not sure if they count as bosses?) The duo, the griffin and something else I cannot quite remember right now. I am also playing the PS1 version via my PS3 but with a DualSense through the OBS window because my HDMI splitter is not splitting. Even still it feels pretty wonderful to control and while it felt slow to begin with it actually is deliberate like Dark Souls. I also have only died once because I went into the Griffin room with only 31 health thanks to sparring and defeating that massive ball of swords.

Music is pretty awesome as well :D Feels good to be playing a 2D platformer!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
LVG got Ring Fit Adventure for our Switch and I think I am going to start messing with that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey VG is the game industry thread solely for bad news and industry atrocities or is it ok to talk about smaller troubles there that aren't necessarily being reported on much?

I wanna know if it's kosher to discuss various issues surrounding roblox game development but given a general lack of official news articles and my knowledge coming from insiders, I dunno if it'd fit in or if it'd be seen as too speculative/unofficial to discuss.

If it's not kosher there then I'll probably just post about it here instead if that's ok. That's preferable anyway but I thought it'd be better to ask if it's more appropriate for that thread. Lotta dumb poo poo going on with roblox.

I think if it is mostly speculative without stuff to back up then it would be best to post here. I am trying to keep the industry thread on track and I think here might be better if it is more a chatty kind of topic. :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If not for Bloodborne, Tales of the Borderlands would have been my GOTY in 2020.
I would love another Tell Tale Borderlands game with Rhys and Fiona! The reason I dropped off Borderlands 3 was because Rhys was not Rhys and it bummed me out a ton.

That first game though :D Glorious in every way. One of my top 30 of all time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That is pretty Yikesaroo.

Tonight I get to enjoy Classic PS1 2D platforming again which I am very much looking forward to because this weekend is packed!
I am fully saying goodbye to my old place and doing the deep clean and trash removal all of Saturday and the morning of Sunday. Busy, busy!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have spent most of (actually all of it) my morning at work thinking about Final Fantasy 8, 9 and 10.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I spend all my time at work thinking about video games apart from the time when I'm thinking about VideoGames

:3:
I really really really need to play FFX-2.

Also FFXII and FFVI and FFXIII and FFXV and FFXIV and FFXVI and FFV and...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Literally so hype for this :getin:

How's Symphony of the Night?

It is going REALLY well. I am about 8 hours in and am in Upside Down Dracula House and I was a tad underlevelled and only doing 1-10points of damage to enemies but just found a rainbow dagger and am starting to get beefy a second time. I really, really love platformers.

Also I cannot wait to get round to FFX-2. I just keep thinking about FFX and 8 and 9s stories over and over and put the music on and just realise how much I have fallen for a game genre and it is wild. :3:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

umm where the hell is your SOTN av? <:mad:>

I am making one this evening. I have not had any time to create one thanks to house shenanigans. This evening I have an evening to myself :) Gotta try to come up with something great.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah it was tricky but I got my PS3 up and running with the PSX version of SotN. So I get to hear the amazing voice acting which truly is wonderful.

"Hricter!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

How many Castlevania games are you planning on doing VG? Cause you should def watch the Netflix series at some point if you're enjoying it.

It's really really good.

Honestly not sure how many on stream. I will play all that I can, but I have two other games off stream that I am playing right now. I will definitely watch the series once I have got more a handle on the Belmont family :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Which one is the best

This is actually the whole reason I have been thinking about them. GOTY thread is approaching and I wondered how I would rank them and to be honest it was easier to rank the Souls games.

FF8 9 and 10 are all truly excellent and each one does several things better than the other. I am struggling to figure out which one wins overall right now.

FirstAidKite posted:

At this point I'm wondering how much VG would freak out playing Romancing SaGa or SaGa Frontier

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah I wanna see Veeg play a SaGa game one of these days

SaGa Frontier is my favorite but I feel like Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is probably more approachable. Luckily by the time he might get around to it they'll both have readily available remasters to play

Harrow definitely recommended me a SaGa game (though I cannot recall which one) but yes I WILL be playing one. I am genuinely super in to the traditional jRPG genre and I think about them a ton when I am not playing them. :)

FirstAidKite posted:

Seeinghow VG would progress through Romancing SaGa 2 would be neat just seeing what stuff he unlocks.

VG do you even know anything about SaGa games because I suspect if you don't then hoo boy you'd be in for a treat. They are not very traditional as far as jrpgs go.

Also I have no knowledge of them whatsoever other than their names have a capitalised G. I cannot even tell you which one Harrow told me I should play :shobon:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

a 2D game with an oddball science-fantasy setting and light narrative

This is the one! You know how I love when stories get bonkers :D
Which one is this?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hey VG, what did you think of ff8's main villain? I'm super curious

Which one?? ;)

Ultimecia was fantastic, but also tragic because there is definitely some kind of link between her and Rinoa and I think that even if they are not the same person, she has her memories and I feel like the love for Squall that Rinoa has has transposed onto Ultimecia and that is why she wants to time compress. So she can be back where Squall is.

The whole game is about failed love really and that is why it is so powerful to me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

They meant Laguna

:prepop:

No way! He is not!

Jay Rust posted:

Veeg, when you get around to playing grim fandango, hmu if you get stuck, I think I remember most of the puzzle solutions

I genuinely do plan to play this in the future. I have day of the tentacle, maniac mansion, sam n max and monkey island 1 and 3 under my belt. I am sure I can do Grim Fandango.

Harrow posted:

Also Veeg when you do play SaGa Frontier don't hesitate to pop into the SaGa thread and ask for help if you need it, especially with things like "how does this skill learning system work" and "what the heck is going on with monster party members"

We've got a few people--like me--with weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of the game who are all to happy to talk about the game forever

I like to get utterly stuck first, and somehow magoo my way out of things without understanding why ;) However yes. I would drop in. I want to drop into the FF megathread but there would be so much unspoiled posts that I will have to wait for a while.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

How could you miss the best one?

2 is better than 1 and 3?? Well 1 I got from my bestie on his ancient floppy disks, then he leant me Curse when I first got a CD-Rom. I do own 2 I just have never gotten round to playing it. I know I should. :)

I have REALLY been thinking about them today. :D

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna have a great time watching you stream SaGa Frontier because if anyone in the world can magoo their way into wild success on a first playthrough, it's you

Hahah this makes me wish to play even more!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

rarity's av has a spoon in her mouth but the ice cream hasn't been dug into yet, implying that she just likes the metallic taste of the spoon

Waffleman_ posted:

The bite is taken out of the side facing away from you

And that solves the mystery of the pristine ice cream.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That really does sound pretty intriguing. Having said that I really do just love recommendations and being surprised, so it was always going to be played this just confirms it :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

umm where the hell is your SOTN av? <:mad:>

:)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like to say I am a game player.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh no…

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Symphony of the Night was amazing and I beat it and I feel great!

Just been to the shops to get Wind Waker HD (30 quid) and my WiiU still works and so does Wind Waker so tomorrow I start that! :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Did you really beat it, like with a good ending too, or did you get a bad ending?

Like, what was your map completion percentage by the end?

189% I think. I missed one relic too. I have a save right before the end so I can always go back and fill in the rest :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

When are you playing Rondo of Blood, VG?

Not sure! It is definitely now on my list though! I genuinely did not even have Symphony of the Night on my schedule at the start of the year. I have a general list of games I want to play and I try to go between genres for each game. We did a jRPG so we did a card game, then a 2D platformer and then a Zelda. I like to bounce around :)

FirstAidKite posted:

Alright good, tho I doubt anyone watching would have let you end the game with such a significant portion of the game left if you'd ended it early

Yeah I love when I start a game and everyone says: OK this is an all guardian friend run and I have a little goal within the game. :D Chat is very good about making sure I do not miss anything cool!