Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this month i'm gonna get sunday gold, the case of the golden idol and vampire survivors (it's gonna hit 1.0 soon)

i'm playing no place like home currently, and spirit & the mouse this weekend. i'll be getting soul hackers 2 next week from gamefly

the spooky game i'll play this month is In Sound Mind, but also Hands of Necromancy feels appropriate for this time of year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

livin la Vita loca

is this anything

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not since sharkboy and lavagirl

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

polar is good because its flavors maintain the sharpness of the unflavored carbo. with la croix as soon as you step outside of unflavortown the sharpness stays behind and you enter The Flat Zone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/AmongUsVR/status/1579884679213486080

seems like it'd be really easy for the killer to win every round when you don't have the top-down perspective to see people coming towards you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wahahahaha

https://twitter.com/seldo/status/1580714050706554880

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I was just wondering what a writer for The Red Ape Family NFT cartoon had to say about this story

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's 1 frame for every person interested in the game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1581776392030543873

maybe they should try it a third time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Completionist/status/1581776851663364096

how does this keep happening lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it might be. Elijah could just be a SH fan, he did produce that VR horror game a couple of years ago

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the medium was abhorrent

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they also 'pay homage' to stuff by flat out yoinking it instead of using it in any creative way

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bob is not saying depiction is endorsement lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have played layers of fear, i have suffered through the medium, bloober's whole shtick is incompetently utilizing controversial subject matter to draw attention to them. it's not something unique to that studio when it comes to the horror gaming industry at large -- if there are two things bad/mediocre horror gaming is known for, it's cheap exploitation and Lovecraft masturbation -- but i don't want a studio like that handling silent hill, a franchise that already has too many bad/mediocre entries

the medium is just another in a long line of terrible horror games that can't cash the checks it writes with the material it wants to cover. it has nothing to do with who survives at the end. it is how the story is written, structured, and presented from start to finish. bob would be fine with a darker ending, if it earned it, and it didn't. it does just about nothing right

also, separate from story and theme, it doesn't even work as a 'spoopy!!' game!!!! because the maw is a hilariously unspooky monster with a bad design that they show all of to you, with horrible voice acting that moans and burps stupid lines whenever you're sneaking around it

e: i did forget about Observer, which I also played, and while it's at least more novel than the other games due to its setting, it still has some real eye-rolling moments. but it at least has some interesting set pieces from time to time, and the gameplay itself is probably the most acceptable gameplay of any of their titles. don't expect me to recall specifically what i found eye-rolling because i played it four years ago, which at this point is over 800 beaten games ago

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 19, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think townfall is the only one that has any kind of SH vibes but i also think Konami doesn't feel confident about doing a proper mainline sequel and is just trying poo poo out

the result though is that i'm kind of disappointed. we traded in silent hills, which would have been a mainline sequel with a strong vision, with... a live service game, a game for ryukishi to just do his thing (congrats gaius), and an indie game that'll probably be very similar to stories untold (which i enjoyed, but, not really SH). also gently caress annapurna

it is what it is though, i just have to live with it

i remain a curmudgeon about the horror game industry and continue to await a game other than Soma that fucks me up (or at least is highly entertaining). i do need to play amnesia rebirth at least, i'll do that this month maybe

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Why? They published wonderful games like Kentucky Route Zero, Stray, Edith Finch etc. Not every game they do is for me but I like the games they give a shot. There's a controversy I assume?
yeah, there are multiple stories about them enabling abusive bosses in the workplaces of the studios they publish for, often ignoring employee outcry or telling them to suck it up, and in one case suggesting to one of the bosses that they could fire everyone and start a new studio with younger, more gullible employees fresh out of college

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

how do I answer if I, hypothetically, wanted to gently caress bugs already
hwurmp initially got excited when they heard there was a game called bugdom until they played it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bluepoint will be making the remaster and a bunch of people will get angry about it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

signalis i'm nervous about that it'll swerve past the demo area into something completely different than the "top-down RE1 on a spaceship" vibes. the demo's ending had some real "maybe you're dreaming!!" energy

after 12 minutes last year i'm not letting myself get too hyped up for a Gamepass indie release

anyway here's my thoughts on 4 games that i've played/am playing:

Potion Permit - just finished this one and sent it back to Gamefly. i'd say it's a 7 out of 10 as far as life sims go. I really like the pixel art and gentle energy, but it's so gentle that it's almost sleepy. almost no music variety, characters emote via speech bubble emoji, and sound design in cutscenes is pretty much nonexistent. i like the gameplay loop quite a bit, and i'm a sucker for inventory tetris... even the resource grind didn't bother me because it was just one thing to do among many things in a day. what DID bother me was that the credits are trapped behind arcane requirements that no one quite knows, but at least seems to require getting everyone in the town to level 3 in friendship (there's a couple dozen characters so this is a LOT of character questing, but also you build up their friendship meter like any other life sim to reach those quests). i feel like i finished the main story line around 12 hours, and then getting the credits required another, like, 7-8 hours lol

Shin Megami Tensei V - I am enjoying it.. I think the story is not super engaging when more time is given to it, but thankfully the 'story' segments are kind of isolated chunks and then the majority of the game is chill surfin' around sandworld fightin and recruiting demons with only occasional dialogue. i'm at the golden apple quest on my way to wreck the big mask demon fuckhead but my playstyle is probably going to burn me eventually. i basically avoid all encounters until i unlock all the fast travel points, see what the boss is about, THEN go about leveling up, finding mimins, treasures, recruiting, and applying essences for boss prep.

Cultic - pretty neat so far, I like the mix of mazey indoor and wide outdoor spaces, sort of a crossing of the streams of 90s and 2000s level design. a little flat though in the early going. lacks some of the fun verticality of the levels of Prodeus or Shadow Warrior 3, but also the combat is not as chaotic as those games so it's not AS big a negative. i'm sure later levels will ratchet up the dial.

Vampire Survivors - okay.. i don't LOVE this game. but I understand why it's popular. personally, I'd prefer being able to attack with buttons and aim with the right stick, but I guess this is more of an idle autobattler thing where the main thing is just carving paths through enemy crowds and deciding when to scoop up gems. it's fine, it's just not going to be in my top 20 this year.

my 2022 list is at 42 games now, I think 50 would be a good cut off point, last year's 70+ (that I trimmed down to 69) was a little ridiculous, but also last year was such a good year for indie games and this year is good but not AS good. so a top 50 seems good to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

The grind in potion permit is insane, literally 80% of the game is chopping trees. Kudos to you for sticking with it, also shame on you for giving it so much of your time
wood & stone is no big deal. each new area jumps up the amount harvested per tree/rock significantly and there are only three story roadblocks requiring wood/stone. like the trees/rocks in the desert area give 80 and 150 wood/stone each, respectively.

the real issue is that flowers only harvest 3-4 per day. same with enemies. there are character quests that need 8-10 razor fins each (dropped by a sand shark enemy), and you can only get 2 a day.

but I’ve seen much much worse (kitaria fables). the character quest grind to get the ending is the only real slog because there are so many characters and their bar only goes up a little bit each day (and you can only give them a gift once per day). this would all be fine if relationships weren’t directly tied into the ending requirements. Basically the more characters reach new friend levels, renovation events start happening around the town, with the final one ending the main game.

never figured out who that one unenterable house belonged to

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Townseek is def a map game, but it doesn’t come out on Steam until 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is townseek

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I dont know what this is but I'm going to play it
from the demo i played it's very trading-heavy, finding/buying stuff in one town/region and selling it at others for a profit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's something that i feel like i could say about ppl reacting negatively to a character that reads as bi ending up with a man (that they could maybe chill out, for example), but again, none of us have played bayo 3 yet, so IDK what actually happens

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think that i find vampire survivors to be, boring and dull -_- sorry folks

it's weird to say about a game that has so many bullets/attacks flying everywhere, but it really does make me sleepy to play

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1585307262255386632

knack is back

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rarity's av has a spoon in her mouth but the ice cream hasn't been dug into yet, implying that she just likes the metallic taste of the spoon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

The bite is taken out of the side facing away from you
what if... there is no other side :spooky:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, THAT trailer just happened.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll look up a plot of a film sometimes, mostly to see if any interesting or cool stuff happens in it. i'm not all that concerned about whether it 'ruins' media for me because i still enjoy the media. what on account of the execution being the important thing

like, being alive today means that you already know Laurie survives the first Halloween because Jamie Lee Curtis' name and face have been in several Halloween movies/posters since. but knowing that doesn't ruin the experience of watching the first Halloween film, because all of the fun of the movie is in how it is shot and directed, with its lingering scenes, clever cinematography, and so many moments of incredible tension

also the scene where mike myers comes into a room dressed as a ghost and stands there silently. simultaneously hilarious and terrifying

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

its very simple. the joy of experiencing media u already know the plot of is something that you will experience many times, and enjoy. the joy of experiencing something with no knowledge is only available once, and is qualitatively different. w some self control you are able to have both, and it makes the former experience even better. i am reformed poster spoilerwatcher68
i like both. but i also don't mind knowing ahead of time and seeing my friends' real-time reactions to things, it's fun in its own way. a bad way i guess but idc

(i am not the person who speaks during a movie going "you'll enjoy this part", to be clear, that's a bad kind of person)