Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Violet_Sky posted:

I remember saying "zee" when I was a kid and adults correcting me. Nowadays I think you can spell colour without a u and nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just had some Hawkins Cheezies like I was born to do. I also have Hickory Sticks in the pantry.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Hyandai and Mazda are pronounced differently in Canada for some reason.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Just had some Hawkins Cheezies like I was born to do. I also have Hickory Sticks in the pantry.

Hickory Sticks and Clamato is one hell of a tasty snack.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Clamato, like the mixer? When was the last time you drank straight mixer?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Zed zed top.

gently caress you fight me.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

I been inside the hawkins factory. Its a repurosed ww2 tank factory and it shows.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Thats pretty cool, I'd go check it out.

I like to bring an assortment of Canadian foods with me when I visit friends in other countries. Also for myself in case I get a craving I can't handle. My trip to Colorado for a wedding was fun, we brought a lot of stuff, and then I also found some of my favourite snacks I get in Mexico in the Estes Park Safeway, so I had a drat good time satisfying my munchies.

I also bring cheezies in my carry-on when I fly. That's one of my top travel tips.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

tango alpha delta posted:

Hickory Sticks and Clamato is one hell of a tasty snack.

It might be the weed talking, but I am intrigued. I have added it to my notepad of weird loving food ideas.

I share: peanut butter and cheese on a toasted bread product. The sharper the cheese, the better. Throw hot sauce at it if you want to go next level.

poo poo slaps, you don't even need to be high. Though it helps.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Violet_Sky posted:

Nowadays I think you can spell colour without a u and nobody cares.

Begone from my country sir!

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I was taught the abc's in Canada as '...... q r s, t u v, w x, y and zee'. It flows better.

But when I spell out my last name (that has a z) to someone I say zed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That's what we're taught, but that's not how we roll.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bonzo posted:

Hyandai and Mazda are pronounced differently in Canada for some reason.

MAZZ-da

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The way some people pronounce "pasta" and "produce" also irks me.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Is the issue we pronounce the awww instead of the ahhhh. Paw-stuh. Wait I say Pah-stuh.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
loving cakers

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bonzo posted:

The way some people pronounce "pasta" and "produce" also irks me.

I PRO-duce produce in my garden all summer long.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The way people say 'on accident' instead of 'by accident' bothers me mildly despite the fact that it really doesn't matter

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I met Paul Bellini last night. Apparently he and Scott Thompson have a musical project called Mouth Congress, and they were playing at a local venue. The bar I was working at across the street held an unofficial after party for the show, and Bellini came by for a drink. He was wearing actual clothes.

Unfortunately, I heard that a whole bunch of people left the Mouth Congress show because Scott started saying some transphobic stuff onstage. :( I haven't seen a video or heard exactly what it was, but people were kind of pissed off.

Here is some footage of their performance last night.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

"I'm from Alberta, I know how to drive in the snow" :dumbgun:

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
My greatest regret will be never being on Electric Circus

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

I was driving to work in that poo poo and being careful and leaving lots of room between me and the car in front. The car behind me was about 3ft from my bumper because he was upset I was going kinda slow. I couldn't go any faster because of the guy in front of me. When the tailgaiter finally turned, the next person behind me alternated between falling behind about 10 car lengths, and then accelerating until he got within 3ft of my bumper.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Was gonna say mang don't stick the ambulance directly down the barrel of the kill zone, stick a cop car there.

Then realized the view is at oncoming and it's safer there with the blocker, cars just aimed all over the place. That's a mess.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Dug through thigh high amounts of snow this morning to try and get my kid to school. Buses were cancelled so I called it a Snow Day and we watched Simpsons and read books. Our school district doesn't even seem to have proper snow days which is a bunch of crap! Are all provinces like this??

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

LadyAmbien posted:

Dug through thigh high amounts of snow this morning to try and get my kid to school. Buses were cancelled so I called it a Snow Day and we watched Simpsons and read books. Our school district doesn't even seem to have proper snow days which is a bunch of crap! Are all provinces like this??

We never got a snow day unless it was -35 and head-high snow or a blizzard. IMO the bar should've been lower.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Tarkus posted:

We never got a snow day unless it was -35 and head-high snow or a blizzard. IMO the bar should've been lower.

It's true. Never had a snow day in my school days but in MO anything more than a few cm had the district closing down. A happy medium would be nice.

The city we are in now is like "Well the school buses aren't running, highways are shut down and the RCMP say to stay off the road but you'll still get your kids here right?"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I never got a snow day because I lived in a small town and we were expected to walk. The farm kids go to stay home though.

It wasn't all that bad though, we would watch Bill Nye and play heads up 7 up and poo poo because more than half the class was missing so there was no point in actually doing real school work

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 8, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My Mum would get us to school, then we'd find the doors locked for the snow day and have to walk home.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
We would walk 20 minutes down the slush to the bus stop, and our rule was if the bus doesn't show in 15 minutes after scheduled, when it got stuck somewhere, it's a snow day.

Every kid checking their watch, "3-2-1... everyone go home!!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I definitely had snow days in grade school, although nothing particularly memorable. I'd been taking the TTC to school by myself since like fourth grade and so did most of my classmates, so I feel like most of the cancelled school days were based on public transit not working.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think when I was in kindergarten or grade 1 we might have had a day or two when the school was actually closed.

After that though, it was just "busses aren't running". Which ended up being almost as good. Until I got to highschool I was close enough to walk, but whatever, half the school didn't show up so it wasn't that bad. A teacher would bust out the TV and we'd watch the last half hour of the Price is Right, and then the Flintstones at lunch. Then pretty much go back to not doing very much.

It must suck for kids these days. No more snow days when you can do poo poo online.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Our mining companies are committing genocide in the global south daily, but maple syrup

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

Our mining companies are committing genocide in the global south daily, but maple syrup

DONT FORGET HOCKEY AND TIM HORTONS HOCKEY IS ARE GAME AND TIM HORTONS IS ARE NATIONAL RESTAURANT!!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

yeah i'm just gonna leave my winter tires on all year round now. we only have about 4 months a year without snow here anyway.

e:i used to work with quite a few expats in oil and gas and every single one of them had no clue what a block heater was. they were convinced Alberta winters were a complete exaggeration.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 8, 2022

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Are block heaters not must have equipment in the rest of Canada (aside from the lower mainland and Vancouver Island)?

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

MakaVillian posted:

Are block heaters not must have equipment in the rest of Canada (aside from the lower mainland and Vancouver Island)?

I know some people have them where we are but they're definitely not something everyone has. Even in Fort Mac a lot of people didn't have them.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

MakaVillian posted:

American ex-pats working in oil and gas in Alberta would bring their own cars from the States and none of them had block heaters.

Until they survived their first winter.

My 2013 Sienna was built in Kentucky, but when I bought it in Alberta it was already equipped with a block heater. Maybe the dealership installed it.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 8, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I think I might have one of the most Canadian first detentions of all time. I was in grade 1. I lived in a hamlet in Alberta, and when it snowed they would pile all the snow plowed from every street into one single mountain. It was halfway between my house and the school. After going home for lunch one day, I decided to play on that pile of snow for a while before returning to class. It was huge, and I made an awesome slide down the side. I showed up 20 minutes late, soaking wet head to foot, and got detention.

I'm very proud of this and never felt any remorse.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
There was always a great snow mound in the parking lot of my elementary school. I lived right next to the school playground, we would turn that thing into the best sled launching zone. Good times.

I never had a snow day I can remember. The bus got stuck at least once or twice a year though, so some kids would be missing for the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gotta love the piles of snow in parking lots that are there until may. And by then its all grey and black and yellow from all the poo poo in the air. Every kid imagines digging into one and making a snow fort to rule all snow forts, but we're all told that would just result in our icy tombs.