Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

:siren: :siren: :siren: unofficial OCTOBER movie of the month thread!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

tiny monster movies are objectively the best sub genre of horror and fight me if you disagree.

They had their run from the 80s-90s and now theyre dead i guess? post your favorites and any new ones that are worth watching that are hiding in the depths of Shudder or netflix or some other platform i dont keep track of.

BEST
Gremlins 1 - cool and good, a top tier tiny monster
Critters - people who said they ripped off gremlins can eat poo poo, they roll and shoot harpoons and that was p rad to me when i was 10 and still is
Troll - the one that scared me most as a kid. pokes you with a needle that turns you into plant goo and can morph into a giant??. hosed up if you ask me
Puppet Master - the OG ones were good. not the new one thats nazi trash or whatever

OK I GUESS
Munchies - prob actually ripped off Gremlins. They are gremlins who smoke weed and wear trenchcoats or something
Ghoulies - little guys who hide in the toilet i think i forgot what these movies were actually about
Leprechaun - kind of a medium sized monster imo but a decent series until he raps or goes to space
Chucky - non a monster i guess but hes tiny so ill allow it

TRASH
Doll Man - duke nukem only small.
demonic toys - i think they fight the puppet master guys at some point? only saw it once on tv.

thansks for reading :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the tiny demons from The Gate always creeped me out

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

banned from Starbucks posted:

demonic toys - i think they fight the puppet master guys at some point? only saw it once on tv.

thansks for reading :)

They also fight Dollman

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Small Soldiers isn’t really horror but it fits the description and it rules. (Or at least it did when I was 11.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Did anyone mention Subspecies because its got tiny little dudes in it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Davros1 posted:

They also fight Dollman

Dollman was such a letdown of a movie. Hideous! is worth a watch, though. It's probably the best of the bunch of tiny monster movies made by Full Moon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Davros1 posted:

They also fight Dollman

Oh drat thats right. They played it on some basic cable channel a ton in the late 90s

MokBa posted:

Small Soldiers isn’t really horror but it fits the description and it rules. (Or at least it did when I was 11.)

Ill allow it. They are tiny and have a bad attitude

Hollismason posted:

Did anyone mention Subspecies because its got tiny little dudes in it.

Octy posted:

Dollman was such a letdown of a movie. Hideous! is worth a watch, though. It's probably the best of the bunch of tiny monster movies made by Full Moon.

Ill try and check these out

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
OP I might disagree with your finer points but you’re completely correct. Tiny creatures is best genre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We are long overdue for a homunculus movie, but have you watched Mad God, OP?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I like "Killer Nature" movies and while a big fuckoff monster (a Grizzly terrorizing a bunch of trappers in a cabin!) is nice, a lot of little monsters is also fine. To that end, Piranha 3D (the best movie of 2010 and it isn't close) is the premier entry in this category.

Apollo 18 also had some little wannabe facehuggers in it so that was fun.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We are long overdue for a homunculus movie, but have you watched Mad God, OP?

Just looked it up and it sounds right up my alley!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Michael Doughtery's holiday horror movies aren't fully tiny monster movies but between Sam and the Krampus's helpers, they do have tiny monster vibes if that makes sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just looked it up and it sounds right up my alley!

Some may quibble but it really is exactly what you're looking for.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
tiny monster parts:

jurrasic park lost world
army of darkness

both rock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People complained that Jurassic World Dominion was about bugs instead of dinosaurs but they just wanted to make a tiny monster movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Need more Hobgoblins and The Gingerdead Man in here

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
There's the tiny soul stealing Troll in Cat's Eye that scared the poo poo out of all the kids that watched the movie.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
Charles Band’s account revealed!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Devil Doll and of course Black Devil Doll From Hell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tales from the Hood has a great evil dolls segment

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

"Hell yeah!"
\

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Gremlins' influence is too huge, and tiny monsters have become symbols of "anarchic fun!" - which isn't quite enough to sustain a feature length horror movie. Plus, there's an obvious association with toys and children.

That's why they tend to appear in brief comedy scenes, as in (for example) Grabbers, Transformers 2, and Godzilla 1998 (where the baby zillas are human-sized, but tiny compared to the big one).

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Lotta talk about dolls but no one mentioning Dolls (1987)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chronicles posted:

Lotta talk about dolls but no one mentioning Dolls (1987)

That movie creeped me out so ridiculously much as a kid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The Critters movies were a lot better than I expected.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
The best of the Ghoulies series is Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dXugxVlLQ

I think tiny monster films are scarce nowadays because Full Moon has slowed down on pumping out so many Puppet Masters and assorted spinoffs, plus practical effects are dying out and tiny monsters were a great way to stretch your budget before CGI

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
There's the Chucky series on NBC/Peacock. It just started its second season.

Have not watched it, so no idea if it's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s one of the best shows on TV