Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hello everyone and welcome to this LP of Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru! This introductory post will be a bit longer than what you might be used to, simply because there are a number of things we need to cover before we start the game!

The Tengai Makyou series and about this game

The Tengai Makyou series of JRPG games (known in the west as Far East of Eden) is quite popular and well known in Japan, but not so much outside of it, mostly owing to the fact that out of all the games in this series, only ONE was ever released in the west and even that was just a dumb beat'em-up spinoff that nobody cared much about! So none of the mainline games ever came out in the west.

The series started its life with the first few games published on the PC Engine platform, starting in 1989 with Tengai Makyou: Ziria (Ziria is the name of the main character), which is reportedly the very first RPG game ever published on a CD-ROM. Although the graphics capabilities of the PC Engine platform were not much better than NES, the fact that unlike the Nintendo console, it had a CD-ROM drive, made a big difference! Suddenly you could have lavishly animated cutscenes and voiced dialogue! And yeah, the game was popular, as expected. It could even be said that at the height of its popularity in the 1990s, the Tengai Makyou series was quite literally the equivalent of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy on the PC Engine platform. It was literally that popular.

Somewhat in the style of these two other game series, although Tengai Makyou games are more or less set in the same universe, their plots are mostly unrelated and they can be played independently. Hence us playing the second game in the series here in this thread--so you don't need to worry about that. The said second game, Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru was first released in 1992, also on the PC Engine (with Manjimaru suffix again being the name of the game's main character), to immense popularity which it still has to this day.

Both games were published by Hudson Soft and Red Entertainment (then known as Red Company), and the development was led by Hiroi Ouji, later best known as one of the main people behind the Sakura Wars series for Red Entertainment. There are other (semi-)familiar faces in the team, like Masuda Shoji, later known for cult classics such as Linda³, Oreshika and a few others.

Although the PC Engine platform does have some technical limitations, they truly went all out with this one, so it includes things like fully voiced dialogue for main characters, CD Audio music tracks, many lavishly animated cutscenes and so on.

After its initial release, the game was later released on other platforms too, such as Nintendo DS and PSP, both of which feature the exact same graphics as the original, and also on PlayStation 2 and Gamecube--this version features "upgraded" 3D graphics, but honestly, this was done with a very low budget and it does not look good at all (I will show some examples in the first update), so they are really not worth looking at. Better pick one of the versions with the original graphics--which while admittedly a bit on the simpler side, are incredibly charming and colourful and just generally pleasing to look at (unlike the PS2/GC version).

The setting

Like most other Tengai Makyou games, this one too is set in the far east country of Jipang, which is more or less a fictional (mis)representation of Japan as seen somewhat from the western perspective ("Jipang" is how Marco Polo originally recorded the name of Japan).

It is all based on the books of a 19th century scholar from the Smithsonian Institute, P.H. Chada ("P.H." stands for Paul Hieronymus), and the game even features his picture and a brief comment he made about the game:

In the style of Orson Welles, I should now tell you that for the last couple of minutes I've been completely lying to you. Of course, P. H. Chada does not exist and even that picture up there is actually of Karl Marx. The whole thing is just an invention of Hiroi Ouji, but even still you will find the references to good ole P. H. in the credits of all these games where he's credited as "based on the works by". In fact "P. H." just stands for "Prince Hiroi", a reference to Hiroi Ouji's name in western order, since Ouji (王子) means "prince" in Japanese!

Anyway, this particular game is set in the western part of Jipang, called Yamato, and here is a map of it as it is in the game:

The story

Here is our "the story so far", as paraphrased from the manual!

quote:

The Creator of the universe gave birth to two gods. The names of the two gods are Mari and Yomi. Released from the Lord's hand, Mari and Yomi travelled through time and space, sometimes fooling about, sometimes quarrelling, and sometimes in deep meditation. Eventually, the two deities found a blue planet full of life. They spoke to each other: "That one looks good." "Let's go."

The two gods descended to the blue star and created a new world. The people call it... "Jipang". Strong and beautiful, Jipang.

One day, a giant flower called the Dark Orchid appeared on Jipang. The dark orchid is a giant plant that is said to bloom in the legendary underground country of the Roots. Yomi, the king of the Root Country, appeared above ground through the stems of the dark orchid, manipulated the monsters of the Root Clan, and in the blink of an eye conquered Jipang. Just when it looked as if the whole land would be invaded, a group of people appeared out of nowhere to challenge the monsters. The Fire Clan.

The battle between the Fire Clan and the Root Clan lasted thousands of days. After a long and fierce battle, the Fire Clan defeated the Root Clan and sealed Yomi and the Dark Orchid deep underground with the Seven Holy Swords. But the Fire Clan also perished in the battle.

A thousand years of peace passed. The nightmare of the Dark Orchid faded from people's memories, and the Fire Clan was now simply a part of legend.

But now, the nightmare from thousand years ago is about to be repeated in Jipang!

Of course, we'll find more about this as we play the game, but for now this should be enough to get us started.

About "that" symbol...

Yes, I am talking, of course, about this guy here:

It's known as "swastika" from its name in Sanskrit, although in Japanese it's called "manji". You can see it up there on the title image, but it appears literally everywhere constantly in this game. It's actually also a legitimate kanji in Japanese language, and thus it's even part of the main character's name "Manjimaru", written in Japanese as 卍丸.

Importantly, NO, it's not the same as the Nazi symbol. Theirs, which I will NOT reproduce here, is oriented the opposite way and tilted by 45°. Although in fairness, I will say that both orientations of swastika were used interchangeably throughout the history.

Swastika itself is an absolutely ancient symbol, dating from over 10,000 years BCE--yes, this is WAY before the actual development of proper writing systems, which only came into existence about 4-5,000 years BCE. In any case, the symbol is present in many, many cultures, mostly in Europe/Asia, but even some appearances in Africa and North America are known.

In general, it's meant to be a symbol of spirtuality with additional meanings of good luck and such. It's a shame it's been tainted by its use by the Nazis, because until around the 1920s it was just a "normal" symbol. In fact, here is a photograph, taken in 1916, of Edmonton Swastikas, a women's hockey team from Canada:

After 1920 or so, the symbol started to get misappropriated for more nefarious purposes and at least in the west, remains kind of tainted to this day due to its use in the time period before and during World War II.

Anyway, I just thought I should clear this up a bit before we begin.

About the LP

Of course, as mentioned, the game was never released in the west, so it will be translated here by yours truly. It's not going to be perfect, but we should be able to follow the story well enough! Other than that, this will be mostly a screenshot playthrough with the cutscenes presented as videos with English subtitles for your perusal. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any fan translations for this game, not even any that are in progress/being worked on.

A note on the names. For the names of places, generally I will leave them in their original Japanese form, but I will usually explain what the name actually means in English. Since this game has a deep Japanese (sorry, Jipangese) setting, the names of people will generally be used in Japanese order, i.e. family name first.

Not an insignificant part of the world building in this game is delivered via the NPC dialogue, so there will be a lot of going around and talking to everybody in towns, because if you don't you simply miss on a lot of what this game has to offer. So this will be a relatively slower paced playthrough in the end, since the goal will be to see and experience as much of this game as possible (and the game world is pretty huge to begin with--this is not a small game). To know even better what to expect, I could say that this game is kind of one half road trip and one half "Bildungsroman", so... yeah. Anyway, either way you look at it, it's sprawling.

As you may have noticed, I like to talk a lot, so I will stop now and let's get started on our adventure (after one final note)!

A note on spoilers

I wouldn't expect that too many people here have played this game, but nevertheless try to avoid posting spoilers about stuff which we haven't seen yet! Thanks.

LIST OF UPDATES

Part 01: Takayama Village Festival
   Part 01: Takayama Village Festival (cont.)
   Part 02: Manjimaru's Destiny
   Part 03: Badly Drawn Boat
   Part 04: The Holy Sword of Benimaru
   Part 05: The Pink Tornado
   Part 06: The Valley of Sorrow
   Part 07: A Pirate's Life
   Part 08: The Sleeping Giant (Robot)
   Part 09: The Capital City
   Part 10: The Capital City (cont.)
   Part 11: The Party Situation
   Part 12: The Thing with the Mermaids
   Part 13: The Thing with the Mermaids (cont.)
   Part 14: Attack of the Clones
   Part 15: Atelier Manjimaru: The Alchemist of Jipang
   Part 16: Manjimaru's Dream
   Part 17: Demon's Daughter
   Part 18: Demon's Daughter (cont.)
   Part 19: Castles in the Sand
   Part 20: Castles in the Sand (cont.)
   Part 21: Monkey Business
   Part 22: Monkey Business (cont.)
   Part 23: Pig Business
   Part 24: The Twin Dragons of Izumo
   Part 25: The Root Clan Village
   Part 26: Onwards to Kobe
   Part 27: Onwards to Kobe (cont.)
   Part 28: The Speedbird
   Part 29: The Speedbird (cont.)
   Part 30: The Grand Tour
   Part 31: The Grand Tour (cont.)
   Part 32: The Awakening(s)
   Part 33: The Awakening(s) (cont.)
   Part 34: What Kind of Day Has It Been?
   Part 35: What Kind of Day Has It Been? (cont.)

ivantod fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So, hello everyone and welcome to this LP of Tengai Makyou: Fuun Kabuki Den (a.k.a. "A Tumultuous Story of Kabuki"). This is the third and final game of this series that came out on the PC Engine platform, and it was published as usual by Hudson and Red Entertainment in 1993, about one year after its predecessor, Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru. It's not a "numbered" game, but numbering in this series is anyway weird: the 3-numbered game came out years after the 4-numbered one and the next game after this one was numbered zero and moved on to Super Famicom/SNES platform (only to then jump over to Sega Saturn two years after that).

What is this actually?

As mentioned, this is not a "numbered" game, but chronologically it fits right after Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru because the story is officially set one year after the conclusion of the war against the Root Clan. It's a bit like a "side" story and a sequel to both previous Tengai Makyou games in one although you generally don't need to have played either of them as the game does explain the necessary parts.

The main character this time is Kabuki, who works as, well, a kabuki actor in Kyoto, but is pulled back into action when the villains of the first game (Daimon Cult) return and try to mess with people of Jipang once again. There is much more to the plot than that, so I'll just let you discover it as we play rather than spoil it here.

Wait, did you say plot?

I did indeed. You will be forgiven for being a bit cautious here, since Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru, for all its good qualities, didn't really have much of a cohesive plot beyond the "destroy all orchids" McGuffin. This game however, does have an actual plot that develops over the course of the playthrough! Although it's definitely a shorter game than its predecessor, there is pretty much more of everything in it: more plot; more actual character dialogues, including with the party members; more cutscenes and with much more detailed animation, and so on. So we're definitely in for a good time in this one! Mechanically (battle system, etc.), the game very similar to its predecessor with only small changes.

As usual, the game purports to be based on the works of a XIX century scholar named P. H. Chada, but as I've already explained this is of course a total fabrication. The game does however, include as usual some brief quotations from said P. H. Chada, and this time they are even straight up in English:

Yes, that photograph is still of Karl Marx.

Some final notes

As usual, I don't expect anybody here has played this game already, but still please refrain from posting spoilers about stuff we haven't yet seen in the game.

As a small warning, I will generally assume that you have read the LP of the previous game, so I may not explain things in my typical excruciating detail which were already extensively covered there, but I will give at least some pointers. Any references to the first Tengai Makyou game, I will explain in more detail since we skipped over that game here!

And one last thing!

There is one last thing you really need to know about this game: it secretly wants to be a Broadway musical. And I'm just going to leave it at that for now.

And now, enjoy the game!

LIST OF UPDATES

Part 01: After the Performance
   Part 02: After the Performance (cont.)
   Part 03: The Creepiest Place on Earth
   Part 04: The Creepiest Place on Earth (cont.)
   Part 05: An Unexpected Journey
   Part 06: Just the Right Bullets
   Part 07: Just the Right Bullets (cont.)
   Part 08: The Daily Life in London
   Part 09: The Daily Life in London (cont.)
   Part 10: Save the Princess!
   Part 11: The Final Disciple(s)
   Part 12: The Crimson Fire and the Azure Wolf
   Part 13: The Tower(s) of London
   Part 14: One Last Thing...

ivantod fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 17, 2024

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

All right, let's do this!

I suppose not many here have seen the PC Engine boot screen, so here it is. As mentioned, one of the big advantages of this game over NES/SNES is the fact that it came on a CD-ROM, and as such it required the Super CD-ROM² hardware in addition to the actual console--this situation is visible on the boot screen. Anyway, let's press the Run button (which is the same as Start button on any other console)!

The familiar Hudson logo, of course. I guess they're part of Konami these days, but at the time they were of course along with NEC for the hardware aspect, the company behind PC Engine itself. Despite the fact that Red Entertainment was involved with this game, no logo of theirs is shown.

Anyway, after this we head straight into an opening cutscene.

And, well, there we go.

Before we really start, a couple of small notes, though.

First, did you notice that Manjimaru even has swastika-shaped hair? Take a look at this screenshot from the cutscene we just watched:

Yep. Like I said, we'll be seeing this symbol literally everywhere in this game.

Second: there will be sometimes unfamiliar terms encoutered during this LP. So as not to burden the main body of the text in situations where it's not critical for immediate understanding, I will instead include a short glossary section at the end where you can refer for more information (when necessary, of course). So basically, just go with it, and read about it later if you want, is the deal more or less.

As you saw, in the true tradition of 1990s JRPG, our mischievous hero starts his journey by having breakfast in his mother's house!

But at least that's now done and we have full control!

While the graphics are quite colourful, the character sprites are definitely a bit on the tinier side. So the blue haired guy in the middle is Manjimaru and the other person at the bottom near the entrance is his mother. You can certainly talk to her, and talking to NPCs in general is a big part of getting the story of this game, but she will simply tell you to go upstairs and escape the house.

Before we continue, I was talking previously about the PS2/GameCube remake version. So here is what this same screen looks like in that version:

As you can see, while the resolution is increased, the graphics truly look as bland as they can possibly be, especially compared to the charming and colourful original (I know we haven't seen much yet, but trust me). I believe this same graphics engine was later used also for the Xbox 360 remake of the first Tengai Makyou game, and it looks just as bland. Having this remake be on Xbox 360 only is also pretty random, but whatever. Clearly this remake didn't really have much of a budget.

In any case, for the rest of this LP I am not going to mention the remake any more, except briefly later today when we come to the next cutscene.

Next, we can shortly check out our character's base stats in the menu:

We'll talk more about this stuff as we go, but for now we can see that he is level 3 (段), has 37 HP (体) and 2 MP, well I guess in this game they are called "skill" points (技) but really it's MP. As you can see, in keeping with the "Jipangese" setting, the game does not use the standard abbreviations like HP/MP etc, but I have noted here which Japanese character means what so that you can follow it on screenshots when needed. Oh, and we're also in possession of 18 ryo (両), which is the currency in this game (the name is based on a real world old Japanese currency). It's really not much at all.

There are more stats than this, but we'll check that out shortly.

One last thing: that chest of drawers in the corner is actually locked, so we should remember to come back here if we ever obtain a key.

All right then, enough talking. Let's start our journey properly--by going upstairs, as we were told to do!

Al right, let's see what his mum was talking about...

Not much here, but let's check out the window. It might provide a way out.

And then...

And we end up...

...here. Not exactly inconspicuous, but what can you do?

Those two kids seem to be blocking our way out, but nevertheless, we can talk to them briefly.

Boss! Today is the day we go to see the festival in Takayama Village that you promised us! Everybody is already gathered inside the shrine! You will be taking three of your minions with you to the festival! Hurry up!

The many, many, MANY NPCs of this game usually do not have specific portraits, so we'll use the empty portrait box for their dialogue. Usually I will indicate in some way who we are talking to in cases where it matters. But here it doesn't, so we'll just talk to the other kid.

Thank you for everything, boss Manjimaru! The adults were trying to barge into your house again, weren't they? Those stupid grownups do not understand your free-spirited way of life!

Note that the word for boss used here (親分) is one which can carry an implication of it being a mafia boss of sorts.

Anyway, let's gon inside the temple.

Because this is a temple, you can see our friend front and centre right there! Other than that, here are our for little minions: three impressionable boys and one dog. Let's talk to them quickly.

We've been waiting for you, boss! The Takayama village festival is about to begin! We're bound to be able to pick a fight there! Let's go and make some rumble in Takayama!
Hey boss, let's take Pero the dog today with us to the festival!

They only have actually two different things to say! But I'm sure you didn't miss what definitely looks like a chest in the back there! So, let's check it out!

Ah-ha! Our first found item! As it turns out, this is a piece of equipment, head gear in particular. So that means we can equip it!

So, here's the equipment screen. In the top section, we can see the current stats of our character: attack power 30, defence power 25 and agility 23. Below we can see his current equipment, as follows:
- tattered clothes (which gives us 8 in defence power
- bamboo sword, givn us 9 in attack power
- empty slot for shoes, so I guess Manjimaru is currenty barefoot
- empty slot for head gear.

Anyway, since we just got a cotton headscarf of sorts, let's equip it. Every little bit helps.

Equipping it gives us +4 in defence...

...which brings our defence power up to 29. So this is pretty simple and I won't need to go into too much detail.

Now we can collectively head out and let's talk again to these guy blocking our path.

Have a safe trip, boss, leave it to us to guard our secret hideout! Next year, please take us to the festival, too!
Your minions in Takayama have prepared a place for you to stay at the inn there. Please relax and enjoy the festival!

And finally, they let us through. This festival has bee built up so much, it better live up to it!

Obviously, there's still a bunch of NPCs in this town, so we're not leaving just yet!

Like these three ladies outside the temple.

Oh, where are you off to today, the ringleader and his followers?
Your father had a power that no one else had, you have that in your blood too. But he was able to harness the power and you only seem to use it to pick fights. Such a waste. You could accomplish great things if you learn to use your power properly!

Well, maybe eventually. Anyway, the last one:

Are you headting to Takayama, Manjimaru? There will be a lot of people there because of the festival, so make sure to take care of your minions properly!

Definitely. Even if they are not actually party members!

Funny, we're literally dragging a train behind us--this game does employ a similar system like early Dragon Quest in that your entire party is visible walking in line (or the not-party like in this case).

But anyway, hello sir, what do you have to say to us?

Are you heading to Takayama? Even though it's a big festival, try not to cause some kind of a ruckus, ok? Anyhow, Takayama village is just down the river. Be careful of the wild dogs, though. Well, it's Manjimaru, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Over here is the mulberry farmer in his garden!

Nnngh, what! Don't go trampling over other people's fields! Just get yourself out of here and go see the festival in Takayama!

Heh, looks like most of the people in Manjimaru's home village consider him a bit of a nuisance. Incidentally this place is named Shirakawa (="white river").

Back at Manjimaru's house, a line seems to have formed! What is this all about? Let's talk to them, from the back to the front.

Ah! I thought you were still in the house! You're as quick as ever!
Today I will definitely speak with your mother. Is Oharu-san there?
Manjimaru, shut up! Nothing you can say now will make a difference. I want to talk to Oharu-san.
He he he, third in line today! At least standing in this line I get to see Oharu-san every day. I don't want to put up with your mischief, but at least this I can look forward to.
This Manjimaruč You swapped our rice bran paste for mud, didn't you!
Ah! You little bastard! Stop bullying my cows already!

Oharu (お春) is the name of Manjimaru's mother. But these seem to be the people from the beginning of the game who have come to complain about him, and also some of them seemingy to court his mother too! Well, let's leave them to their business, we have other stuff to do anyhow.

Like, for example, checking out those two houses there. First the left one.

Another one of Manjimaru's minions and their parent. Let's talk to the father first:

It's no good, Manjimaru. I'm not letting my kid go with you to the festival. Whenever he's with you, he gets inovlved into some kind of a trouble.

And then the kid.

Ah, boss. You're going to Takayama, aren't you? My father won't let me... Please tell me all about the festival when you get back!

This house has an upstairs, too! There are two more people here.

I heard that Taikun has been digging up ancient tombs and ruins all over Jipang... He seems to be looking for an ancient sword, but if he keeps disrepecting the spirts of the ancestors, he's going to get punished in one way or another.

I am using here the "literal" spelling of the word "taikun", simply to avoid associations which the anglicised version "tycoon" has. Here it should be understood simply in the sense of lord/ruler. In this game "Taikun" simply refers to the ruler of Yamato, the western part of Jipang, where the events of the game are set.

The other person:

It seems that Taikun is coming from the Capital to visit the Takayama festival! Speaking of which, he's a really important person who is the ruler of the western half of Jipang, so you should make sure to not cause trouble at the festival.

"As you know, Manjimaru..." I mean this is a bit awkward since he should already know all of this, but I guess we have to be told somehow.

In the other house next to it...

...there is just one person here.

Those guys who are coming to your house, they really don't care about you causing trouble. They just go there so they can see Oharu-san's face every day. They should know better at their age! Men...

There is however, one more person upstairs, with a somewhat interesting comment.

There's been a lot of strange earthquakes lately. It makes me feel uneasy...

A bit to the side, there are two more houses together. Let's go into the left one first. This one is the village elderman's house.

If you want more swastikas, here's another hidden one on that screen behind the older gentleman too. I'll stop pointing them out now, so you're on your own from now on. Let's just talk to him.

What is it, Manjimaru? Do you want to rest here? Well, you're a strange guy, so do however you like.

Welcome to the save mechanic of this game. You can save only in towns if you go either to the inn, or to the elderman's house (if the town is too small for an inn, like the one we're in now). You can rest and/or save here. Resting recovers your HP/MP (yes, I will be calling it MP) but you have to pay for it, as expected. Saving is, however, free.

So the other guy with the hat is a vendor.

I'm a travelling hawker! Do you wan't to buy something from me?

You can also sell things to him, of course. But for now, I do actually want to buy something. The world outside is dangerous and we are really not well equipped, to put it mildly.

So he basically sells equipment:
- Black shovel (weapon): 60 ryo
- Farm clothes 20 ryo
- Mountain straw sandals 8 ryo

We're really pretty skint, but Manjimaru is currently barefoot as we've seen, so we'll just spend 8 ryo on straw sandals.

If we happen to meet again, make sure to say hello!

Anyway, after going through all of that, I promptly forget to go into the other menu and equip the sandals. Oh well, I'll remember it a bit later on.

The last person just gives us a bit of tutorial about saving/resting, which I've already explained.

Finally, we head into the other house right next to it.

Ughhh. All the little brats in this village are sticking to you. It's just too much to deal with. You're a rascal, but for some reason you're popular with the kids.

Yeah, can't possibly imagine why.

Well, okay, it looks like it's time to get on the road and make our way to Takayama village.

Here we are on the overworld! The game informs us that we're in Hida province (火多), which is in the eastern part of our map. Manjimaru's village is in the northwest corner of the province.

We still have a train behind us! But as we walk...

...the ground starts shaking!

Boss! It's an earthquake! There seems to be a lot of them lately?

Anyway, Takayama is basically our neighbouring village, so to get to it we just cross this bridge to the east first...

...and then turn south and cross another bridge and we're already there! You can already see the vilage there at the bottom.

As we walk towards it...

...of course a random battle gets triggered with a stray dog! But as its first move, the dog runs away immediately, so I guess nothing happens. This game employs the "standard" random battle system for a game of its time. Enemies are not visible on the overworld/in dungeons and simply every few steps a battle is triggered. The encounter rate is probably a bit on the slightly higher side, but it's actually not too bad. The game does however feature an absolutely seizure inducing battle transition and I genuinely don't get how that got left in the game like that. I am actually not going too post it here since I don't want to cause problems for those who may have issues with it, but click here to view it in a separate browser window if you want to see it!. Tell me that this is not ridiculous!

Anyway, without further incidents we manage to make our way into Takayama (高山="tall mountain").

We have some time before the festival, so as usual, we'll make a tour around the place. We'll start with this guy standing rignt next to the entrance.

Today is the day of the long-awaited Takayama festival! I was a bit worried because of the earthquake that happened earler, but I'm sure everything will be fine! Let's go to the festival!

Yes, I, too, am compeletely sure that the earthquake is just a coincidence.

All right, let's see who else we can talk to. There is actually some repetitition between different NPCs, so for that reason I will sometimes skip those.

Let's see about the twins here.

We come from Ushikubi village in the east! Let's get this festival going!
The Takayama festival has sure come a long way! This year, even the taikun himself has come all the way from the Capital to see it! And he even went so far to say the words of thanks to all villagers! I'm so happy!

Or, these guys here.

Today is an once-in-a-lifetime moment! Make sure you find a good spot to watch from, Manjimaru!
Everyone is busy getting ready for the festival, so there is nobody upstairs in the houses.

Not quite true, but for all practical purposes, close enough.

You can go inside the shops, but they just tell you that today they are closed on account of the festival. So nothing doing on that front for now.

Anyway, more people to talk to over here.

So, Manjimaru and his gang have come to the festival. I wish you'd at least pretend to be good kids today!
Taikun came to see the festival, so he must have a good eye for things, right?

Lady, why are you standing all the way out here, all on your own?

I saw the Taikun face to face just now, and he has a sly look in his eyes. It's a bit scary to think that someone like that rules this country.

Hmmm.

Let's see what's going on in some of the houses. Eventually, we want to make our way to the inn where a place has been "reserved" for us, but for now we have time to just wander around.

There's a bunch of guys here but they all just shout random stuff like "Festival!", "Women!", "Booze!". The only one with something different to say is the woman (the one who has different clothes, I know the sprites are really tiny).

It's a good thing that that earthquake just now didn't actually happen in the middle of the festival!

Yeah, I'd say. Let's hope there's not another... oops!

The next house over...

It's customary to not start the festival until everybody's had at least one drink!
Master Taikun rules the west Jipang. I'm so nervous that such an important man is visiting the festival today!

Let's keep making house calls! Same situation there with the guys as previously, but the one different dressed person also has something different to say.

I just met Master Taikun a short while ago. He had such a disagreeable look in his eyes, looking down on us, like he thinks we're all beneath him!

Folks, I'm starting to get an idea that this Taikun is not a good dude.

Houses often come in pairs, so we'll go into this one now.

Same situation with the drunk guys, so of course we talk to that one person instead.

Everyone is extatically happy that the festival is proceeding without any incidents.

Without incidents, you say?

In this house there actually IS someone upstairs, but he's already pretty much passed out drunk and has not much to say, just the usual stuff about festival and booze!

There's actually a whole other part of the village across these bridges to the north!

Before we cross, though, a few more people on this side of the bridge.

It'll be a while yet before the festival is in full swing. You should go and pay your respects to Master Taikun.

Let's continue with our house calls by going into the village shrine!

This year, Master Taikun came all the way from the Capital to see our festival, so there seems to be more people than usual. I'm sure the gods will be overjoyed and so you should put your happy face on too!

And then back outside for all these people.

Master Taikun is indeed a generous man--he rented out one whole inn out of the two there are in this village.
Hey, Manjimaru! You still haven't paid your respects to Master Taikun? He ordered us that we cannot start the festival until everybody from the town has come to greet him. You're pretty much the last one, so get going already!

Really seems like an awesome guy.

And finally this person here.

I'd like to take you to your spot at the inn, but you really must go and greet the Taikun first in this inn here. If you don't do that, they won't let us start the festival. I guess all bigwigs like him are usually selfish people, right?

Let's see. First off, the man on the left has an advice.

Go upstairs to talk to Taikun, but just be careful and don't talk to the women at his side. Just, don't.

Upstairs, there is QUITE a bunch of people! Well, I guess it makes sense that an important dignitary has a big party with him.

Let's begin with the guy standing by the staircase

Master Taikun has chosen this inn for his party instead of that cheap inn on the other side of the town. Only today, he will meet even with lowly people like you, but you are not worthy of him.

So we'll continue with the two people in the room on the right.

The three sages have been quite cozying up to the Taikun lately... I probably shouldn't say this, but the great power he has is all thanks to them.

Is it now.

The other guy!

Hey! You! Hic... Let me give you some good memories! First of all, look at my face! This is the face of the first retainer of Master Taikun, the future king of Jipang! Remember it! You must not forget! Hic!

He's totally drunk.

Then we'll move to this lady in the middle room. The guy next to her is actually Taikun so we'll leave him for later.

Are you a relative of Master Taikun?
Yes. / [ No. ]
Someone! Come quickly! Drag this filthy boy away! Ugh, so disgusting! Good grief!

I can see why we're told not to talk to her.

Let's try talking to the other woman in the room on the left then.

This is no place for people of your kind! You seem smarter than the other kids, so you understand what I mean, right?
Yes. / [ No. ]
I'm telling you to get out of here at once! Can you understand that much! You country bumpkins!

Well, we were told to come here, so...

Also this game has dialogue choices, but they don't matter too much for the most part and in general you even can trigger the conversation again to try the other choice. Generally, when it doesn't matter, I will be choosing the funnier choice.

Well, these three guys look important, so let's see what's going on (spoiler alert: the three sages!).

...What a shame.

Uh, what do you mean.

The middle one:

...Beause I'm not sure you'll be seeing it again! Hahahaha! Ahahahahaha!

And the last one:

What is UP with these guys anyway?

Well, let's just talk to Taikun instead.

Normally a lowly person like you would not even be allowed to approach us. But today is a good day, so we're happy to give a special allowance.
We will remember us becoming the King of Jipang for the rest of our life! You may go ahead and gratefully pay respects to our face.
Ha ha ha ha ha... Let the birds sing! Let the plants celebrate! We will be the king of Jipang!

So, uh, things are getting a bit out of hand here, I think. But I guess we'll just head to our place at the inn. The OTHER inn in this town that is, which is on the opposite side!

We can expect this place to be a bit more welcoming, or so I hope.

This guy in the centre is the owner!

Manjimaru-san! My son always says that he's indebted to you! Your seat is upstairs in the middle!

And then the guy by the door.

Please hurry up and take your seat, the festival is about to begin!

The kid over there in the back is one of Manjimaru's minions!

Boss! I've reserved the best seat in the house for you! My father is a simple man, so I could easily convince him!

The bigger kid next to him is the older brother.

Boss, my brother went to a lot of trouble to get you a seat, so please give him praise.

Well, ok, let's head upstairs then.

Ah, nice, they even have a special cushion for Manjimaru to sit on, bearing his "initial" there in the middle! In case it's not clear, they're going to be watching the festival through the windows. Only a few people to talk here, and then we'll settle down for the festival. Let's start with the lady we're just standing next to.

You must be Manjimaru, the boss! My son always talks about you. Your seat is there by the window, a special seat for the boss!

Nice, thank you.

Then we'll start from the right most room.

I'm really happy that I was able to rent a room and watch Takayama Festival like this!
I wish there was a festival every day!

Then the middle room.

The festival is about to begin! Take your seats quickly!

And then the one on the left...

I met Master Taikun! It's a dream come true to be next to such a great man. "Ha ha ha ha", does that not sound just like his laugh, right?
There is a bit of subdued quality to the festival this year, because of all the earthquakes...

And then, well, there's nothing left to do but to take our seat and watch the festival!

The festival is, of course, described in a cutscene, which also includes the opening credits for the game. See if you can spot some familiar names there. I'm sure most of you will find at least one!

So, uh, that escalated a bit there. Well, I hope nobody thought that the festival will proceed without a hitch.

Before we continue, a small technical note about the cutscene presentation. As you might have noticed, they are mostly presented in a cinematic-style wide aspect ratio. However they sometimes include shorter parts in other inconsistent aspect ratios. Generally I will try to edit the videos to minimise the amount of black bars on all sides, of course, without losing/cropping any part of the actual image. So hopefully this will work out well, but if not, let me know.

As far as the PS2/GC remake is concerned, the cutscenes were all redrawn into a square 4:3 aspect ratio, so they too lost quite a bit in the conversion, giving simply another reason to just play the original.

And now, getting back to our story, it certainly seems that someone has it out for our hero, Manjimaru.

Immediately after this...

...most people disappear in a puff of smoke.

But luckily, our minions are still here.

I guess we'll just have to go outside and try to figure out what is going on here. But, then this happens...

We'll only slow you down, anyway. Boss, let us stay here and hold the fort for you!
I'm sorry, boss! I'm embarrassed to be such a sloppy minion, but I'm really scared!

So... looks like our minions are not up to coming with us at this point. Well, fine. How bad can it be, really? Let's just have a look outside.

Ok, that's bad.

It's also complimented by the voice of the skeleton assassin coming from somewhere!

Did you see that, Manjimaru? This is the true power of the Root Clan! I wouldn't mind to crush you right here and now, but let's save some fun for later, too! Your mother and the people from this town are in my custody now! If you want them back, come the to the Double-ended Cave! Double-ended Cave, remember?

It looks like a nice trap is probably set for us there, that is obvious.

The town itself certainly looks worse for wear, and the bridge is indeed out, as we saw in the cutscene.

There's also the matter of this... thing.

We can actually examine it.

So, uh, a dark orchid you say? Well at least it doesn't sound ominous or anything.

There isn't really anything to do here right now, so I guess let's head outside.

The dark orchid is actually visible on the overworld map, so that's a nice touch I think.

So then, what shall we do? Obviously we should head for the cave, but we might be just a touch unprepared for that.

First of all, let's head back over to our hometown of Shirakawa and see what the reactions to all this are.

Looks like many of the same people are still around. Let's start with the three ladies here.

Takayama was hit by a big disaster? Are at least the kids who were with you safe?

I guess, for now?

Manjimaru! Your mother! She's... disappeared!

Yeah, we know.

You already lost your dad... and now your mother's disappeared too?

Then we'll visit these two houses, starting from the right.

I've heard that everyone in Takayama has disappeared. Do you think it has something to do with the disappearance of Oharu-san?

Well, we know that it does.

Going in the other house next to it.

On the way home, I ran into a couple of random battles (don't worry, I'll show more about that in a minute), so thanks to the fact that like any normal JRPG, monsters carry cash with them which they drop when defeated, I now have a few more ryo so we can upgrade our clothes a bit. Essentially, our first goal before going to the cave is to equip ourselves a little bit better, so we'll start here...

...by finally buying these farm clothes for 20 ryo. They increase our defence stat by 10 which is not bad at all.

Of course, our previous clothes were giving us +8, so the end result is only +2, but still. While Manjimaru is alone in our party, every little bit counts. We can of course sell the old equipment immediately (and we should, since the inventory space in this game is severely limited.

I do also finally remember to equip those sandals, which give us +7 in agility. So finally here's how we end up:

Don't worry, we're not done with preparations yet. But for now, we'll make a quick tour of the town here. Let's head upstairs.

Upstairs, this old lady has something interesting to say now.

Hm hm... Your mother seems to have disappeared. It looks like your destiny is starting to change in a big way. Manjimaru, you're not a small person who can easily fit into a small village like this. When you're finished with your preparations, you should leave the village and start your journey. I'm curious to see where your future will take you.

Then we catch this guy here.

Ma-Manjimaru! The Double-ended cave! The guys who took Oharu-san said they are waiting for you at the cave! Why did they take her to the cave all the way in the east?

I don't know. But we'll find out.

Next, we'll go to these two houses.

First we talk to the father.

I heard that there was an accident in Takayama and that it ruined the festival.

Well, yes, that's one way to phrase it, for sure. The kid:

Boss, please don't be sad because auntie Oharu is gone. When you're sad, I'm sad too and I cry.

And the two people upstairs.

Master Taikun was digging up ancient tombs. No wonder, he caused Takayama to incur such a wrath!
I hope that Master Taikun is safe... If anything should happen to him, there will be unrest all over Jipang!

Yeah, because they will be celebrating that he's gone.

We also have a person in the house next to that one.

Manjimaru! There are swarms of monsters outside the village! What will happen to Jipang?

In a nice touch, before there were only wild dogs, but now you get all sorts of monsters there. It's this game's variation on the Final Fantasy plot along the lines of "the crystal shattered and spawned monsters all over the world", I guess.

Upstairs.

Aah! That monstrous flower must have been the cause of all the earthquakes!

Of course, we should also stop by Manjimaru's house.

I guess these are the guys who were waiting in line previously. There are four of them here...

Manjimaru! This is afwul! Your mother disappeared right in front of our eyes! What the hell is going on? Is this some kind of a dream?
Oharu-san diseappeared like in a haze! Just as she was fading out, she shouted "Manjimaru!". That must have been her calling out for you to save her!
Oharu-san! Oharu-san! She was taken away by a monster... Manjimaru, they told you to come to the Double-ended cave... will you really go? I guess you'll have to. Please don't die.
Oharu-san... Oharu-san...

The other two are upstairs.

Why did they only kidnap Oharu-san? Manjimaru, have you now started picking fights with demons, too?

The Japanese text refers to demons as "youkai" (妖怪), as you might expect.

There has to be a connection between that ominous flower in Takayama and the disappearance of Oharu-san. There's no way two such ominous things to happen one right after the other!

Well, yeah, I mean the skeleton bro already told us that.

Of course we stop by the guy who is tending his field.

Oharu-san was taken to Double-ended cave! You should visit Ushikubi village, east of Takayama; you might be able to find out more there.

Sounds good. At least we have a pointer.

Finally, let's talk to our two minions here in front of the temple.

I saw it! Black light descended from the sky on boss's house and a skeleton-like grim reaper showed. He flew east, carrying auntie Oharu!
This is terrible! Auntie Oharu has suddenly disappeared. There was an uproar at boss's house.

All right, it's time to head out and see what we can find in the world.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 3, 2022

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

As pretty much everyone has mentioned, we'll head eastwards for now. Considering that Shirakawa vilage is anyway in the northwestern corner of the country, it would be somewhat difficult to go westwards as there is a wall of mountains!

We'll go past Takayama and continue further east from there. Of course, now that we're out in the world, we're exposed...

...to random encounters! This one however is your basic trash mob and won't pose a problem even when more than one appears at once. There are some other monsters around here for whom that is definitely not true! In any case, no strategy is required, because Manjimaru can dispatch them in one hit.

So, we need to pick up a few things before we head to the cave. I would also like to accumulate at least 100 ryo, so we can buy a better weapon. As we wander around here, we'll probably get there naturally so lots of grinding won't be needed.

In the meantime, after making a couple of steps forward...

Like in Final Fantasy, here too imps are some of your basic trash mob.

After this battle, Manjimaru gets to level 4. Nice thing about this game is that when you level up, it replenishes your full HP and MP. Manjimaru now has 3 MP, which is important, as we'll see shortly.

Over here, there's a little directional sign!

East: Ushikubi Village
North: Maze Village Checkpoint

We'll see about checkpoints a bit later. But for now let's keep going towards Ushikubi.

Incidentally, there is a menu option which you can choose to show the map of the area you are in. It shows also towns/villages, but only those you've already discovered. Thus, the two "houses" on the map represent Shirakawa in the northwest and Takayama a bit east from it.

But the next random battle...

...is very definitely problematic. Each one of these is not a problem, they die in two hits, but five of them, plus they all get to have their turns in between... at our level, we're lucky to be alive at the end of it!

But eventually we get to Ushikubi (牛首="cow's neck") village.

This is a very small place, but let's see what they can tell us. First we'll talk to that kid by the house, he is also one of our minions!

Boss! I may have seen it wrong, but someone who looked like your mother was brought to the Double-ended cave!

Yeah, yeah, we know. There is a bit of repetition in NPC dialogues sometimes. Anyway, the old guy behind the house--he has something very interesting for us to hear:

You! If you intend to go into battle alone, you should do good to first pay a visit to the mountain goblin! He will surely be able to give you strength. You can find him north of the village.

So, "mountain goblin", or "red nosed goblin" or, simply, tengu, (天狗) a creature from Japanese mythology. Actually there are several of them around the game, but our friend here is right. We should go and visit them because it will be helpful to us in battle. We'll do that shortly.

Hello, sir. Do you have anything useful to tell me?

Double-sided cave? It's across the river to the east, but... you'd be wise to stay away from it. I don't know much about it, but I've heard that it seals the souls of warriors who died a long time ago.

We should also talk to that woman there standing on the left side by the cow.

It might be just a rumour... but I've heard that people of Takayama all disappeared in a puff of smoke in the middle of the festival. If true, that's scary... although sometimes there are people you wish you could make disappear, right?

We'll also go into that house right next to her.

I know it looks weird, but that's actually a bald-headed person facing away from us there. He has a tutorial for us.

Manjimaru, listen carefully to what other people say. Especially when you get to a new place and you don't know left from right. Also, you know, there are a lot of people who when you become famous or something like that, may change what they have to say. Sometimes they really know the important thing. Well, that's just how the world works here.

Yep, talk to everybody constantly, but especially after major events. For example, a monstrous flower appearing in the middle of the village.

There's also a person upstairs.

My husband and sons work and stay at the charcoal making hut to the north. Anyway, if you're headed to the Double-sided cave, it's on the way, so you can take a moment to rest there. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

That's good to know, but we still have things to do before we head to the cave.

With that in mind, let's leave for now. We'll be back in a bit.

Let's head north and see about that goblin.

There's a little hut there, but also what the heck are those things blocking the way?

Well, ok then. Let's head into the hut instead.

So, this is "Tengu's Cabin" and you can see him right there with a big red nose!

Hm! From the looks of you, it seems you still have no idea what is going to happen to Jipang. Well, never mind! It seems you're going to have to fight, whether you like it or not. Oh, look here! It's the "Fresh grass" scroll! Of course I will return it to the Fire Clan!

Obtained the "Fresh Grass" scroll!

So, in this game, magic spells come in the form of "scrolls" and there are a LOT of different ones. We'll talk more about it over the course of the game, but for now let's say that "Fresh Grass" is a basic healing spell. It costs 3 MP to use, which means that right now Manjimaru can use it exactly once before he runs out of MP entirely!

Anyway, we can talk more with the goblin.

Have you already obtained the "Lightning" scroll? It's supposed to be in custody of my friend who lives over the mountain south of Ushikubi village.

Well, I don't really mind if I do. So we'll head there shortly.

On the way...

...we find out that enemies sometimes appear in mixed groups too.

A weird little island in the middle of the river like that. Also you can see the cave entrance just to the north there. You can find here some very slightly stronger enemies.

Like these guys. I mean they are still pretty much trash mob even if slightly stronger.

Or this very cool looking dude.

But what about that name, "mashari"? In the game, it's written in katakana as
マシャリ, so we don't have kanji to help us understand the meaning. However, based on what I was able to find, it's most likely supposed to be 魔舎利, which could roughly mean "demonic bones" (it seems to fit with the look of the enemy), and in particular 舎利 refers to bones left after cremation of a dead body, so I guess maybe it's an implication of an "undead" enemy of sorts?

This guy is definitely on the stronger side as it can take about 4 hits. But as long as it's only one we can (mostly) handle it.

I only just barely survive with 2 HP remaining, and that was with using the heal scroll in the middle of the battle too!

Eventually we find another small place, just across this bridge.

Ah, it's the charcoal making pit, where that lady's family work! Let's talk to the kid.

Boss! You're boss, right? Anyway, there's not really anything here, but you can relax for a bit. By the way, boss, have you met the Tengu who lives athe foot of the western mountains. He was looking for you.

I have indeed, and he gave me the heal scroll!

Inside, there are two people.

If you walk south of here, you will find the Double-ended cave. But be careful. I know you're tough in a fight, but this time it really might be actually outside of your league. I've been seeing a lot of inhuman monsters around here...

The other guy just lets you rest here (you can't save, though).

So this is really just a rest stop and nothing else. Manjimaru can however walk into the coal pit. And when he comes back out...

Hehe. It just a joke, has no effect on anything.

But anyway, after fighting a few more battles around here, I have managed to accumulate more than 100 ryo, so let's go back to Ushikubi and put them to use.

In this house...

...we find the vendor. Let's see.

Here we go: the hunter's machette. It gives us +15 to our base attack! Let's equip it.

So in the end it's overall +6 compared to what we had previously. Should make the life a little bit easier for now.

One last thing we want to do is visit this little hut here...

...because it contains the second Tengu that we've been told about.

I was expecting you sooner! After all, your mother has been kidnapped.
I wonder if I really should hand over the scroll that I've been guarding for millennia, to a kid like you?
Well, here is the lightning scroll that I've been entrusted with. This should make fighting a lot more enjoyable.

Or, it would if we had any MP to use it with. But anyway.

Obtained the "Lightning Flash" scroll!

It's a lightning spell that hits all enemies. It helps with the situation when you get attacked by like five of those flowers, but unfortunately it costs 4 MP to cast, so we can also really just cast it once before we are out of MP. But that's ok, we'll of course gain MP as we level up.

Also we can talk to the goblin some more.

Have you already visited Tengu's hut near Ushikubi village?
[ Yes. ] / No.
He's got a bit of a foul mouth, doesn't he?

So they just point you to each other basically. But these are just first two of many, many, magic scrolls we'll be finding over the course of the game.

Well, all right. I think we're about as ready as we're going to be, so let's make our way to the cave.

On the way...

...some more new low level enemies. As you can see, there is definitely some slightly imaginative monster design going on here.

Here. We. Go.

Ugh. The three sages. What do they want now.

We are the official advisors for the Root Country... "The Brains", if you will.
I believe we can continue to be of service to each other in the future... That's why we came to pay our respects first.
By way of introduction, starting from the right, that is Dr. Daeron, who is in charge of Mechanical Development Department.
And then in the middle, Dr. Deloren, who is in charge of Bionics.
And finally, I am Dr. Beron, an expert in Magic.
I guess this would be too difficult for your little brain to remember, so just call us the "Three Sages" instead.
Well, I suppose that's about it for now. My dear Manjimaru-kun! Please make sure to take care of yourself!

And they depart, exiting stage right.

What on earth was that supposed to be? Are they working for or against us? I mean they said they are from the Root Country, so I guess against, but...

(I should probably mention that in Japanese "root country"
(根の国) is an old-fashioned word that also means "underworld". So.

Well, ok, anyway we don't have time to think about this for the moment. Let's take a few steps into the cave.

But as we do, we come across some prisoners held in here! I guess those are some of the people from Takayama? Let's see what they are saying.

Manjimaru! It's me, the inn proprietor! My child... My son, he defended his sister against a monster... Manjimaru! Please avenge my son!
Manjimaru-san, your mother is still alive! They said they were going to kill you in front of her eyes!

The last one is another of Manjimaru's minions.

Boss! The Horned King will almost certainly use some unusual spells! Make sure to be careful when you fight him!

A boss fight in announcement? Perhaps.

Well, I guess we should head deeper into the cave. But not today, as we'll be stopping here for now.

You can see now what I meant when I said this will be a slightly slower paced playthough, but I feel that it's worth it to get the full flavour of the interesting and entertaining world where this game is set.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this so far and as the three sages said, take care until next time!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Ground floor for another excellent Ivantod translation LP, let's hope we don't slip on any bananas this time!

I quite like what I'm seeing out of the monster spritework so far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

My body is ready for another very normal game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you're a madman jumping into this right away

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wow i can't believe ol manjis so infamous even root clan people have it out for him :v:

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Aw yiss another ivantod LP, get in
is this another flavor of Linda insanity or is it played mostly straight?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

lets hang out posted:

you're a madman jumping into this right away
Yeah, probably! ;)

TitanG posted:

is this another flavor of Linda insanity or is it played mostly straight?
Let me see, how shall I phrase this... let's try like this: it is played a little bit more straight than Linda Cube (if you see where I'm going with this). But you should definitely expect some insanity since basically the same person is credited as director on both games! Also, bearing in mind that this game came first, in 1992, whereas the PC Engine version of Linda was releases in 1995.

Also, welcome to the thread, everyone! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Seraphic Neoman posted:

My body is ready for another very normal game

oh yeah, absolutely ready for this 100% normal game

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Wow, you were absolutely not kidding about the number of swastikas in this game. That all by itself would represent an obstacle to localization even if there were no other issues.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
ah, what a beautiful Jipang [chew]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Booky posted:

wow i can't believe ol manjis so infamous even root clan people have it out for him :v:

I won't lie, when they called out Manji, I was half expecting there to be a joke about how he's even managed to piss off yokai with his shenanigans. And maybe find them waiting in line to complain to his mother after the opening cutscene.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

idonotlikepeas posted:

Wow, you were absolutely not kidding about the number of swastikas in this game. That all by itself would represent an obstacle to localization even if there were no other issues.

the real reason this game was never localized is because nobody wanted to pay the censors

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, no breaks for this train and I'm all here for it. Let's see just how many people Manjimaru can piss off before the game ends. Starting on a high note if he not only annoyed every adult in his village, but also Hell.

Also, you have a few "tycoon" there instead of "Taikun" if you want to keep that consistent.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, you have a few "tycoon" there instead of "Taikun" if you want to keep that consistent.

I definitely want to be consistent, but when you've gotten used to the other spelling all this time, it's no wonder that I slipped up a couple of times. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out, I've fixed it now!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So so excited for this one Ivantod!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

When we last left off, Manjimaru had just entered the Double-ended cave and talked to some prisoners.

This is not actually a big dungeon/cave, so let's proceed forward.

Eventually...

...we reach a few more prisoners!

I'll tell you something important so please free me! Taikun seems to be in cahoots with the Root Clan somehow. Even though people died in Takayama because of the Dark Orchid, Taikun was looking unusually happy!
All the people who were brought here ended up eaten by monsters. We're the last ones left!

Uhh, that's pretty bad. Let's talk to the other two also.

So the earthquake before the festival was a sign that that flower would appear... If only we had realised it, we could have evacuated everyone. But it's easy to think in hindsight, isn't it...
The Grim Reaper Bros said that they would avenge their grudge from a thousand years ago by killing everyone from the Fire Clan. But, what even is the Fire Clan? Are you one of them?

Yeah, probably.

Moving forward...

...let's not forget that there are random encounters here. Here we encounter a new enemy, a Thousand Year Fairy. Not really anything super special, but the enemies are definitely getting stronger. There is one particulary bad enemy formation which we'll encounter soon. By the way, don't think for a second that this is an easy game, because it absolutely isn't. Unless you really want to spend time grinding, you will often be in a "borderline too weak" situation. This is even more true with the boss fights, so simply spaming the basic attack will often just not work and will end up with you easily killed. We'll see something like this later today.

Anyway, there's a couple more people over here.

Manjimaru! It seems that behind all of this is some bastard called Yomi. They said they would make you a sacrifice for Yomi!

Well, we've already heard about Yomi, one of the two deities, alongside Mari. The other guy:

Manjimaru! One of the Grim Reaper Bros who appeared in Takayama, the Horned King, is waiting for you!

No problem, we're ready. Maybe.

An ominous staircase, well, not like we have a choice.

Luckily, it only leads to more dungeon!

This can be a dangerous situation... you're likely to need to use up one of your heals. Which is not ideal.

Oh hey, a chest!

Manjimaru found 56 ryo.

Actually not bad.

There is another chest on the opposite side of the cave!

Manjimaru found a nectar pill.

So "nectar pill" (甘露丸) in this case is related to the concept of Amrita, found in Hindu and Buddhist religions and usually refers to a sort of a healing elixir. And so in the game, too, this is one of your healing potion items.

Finally we reach another staircase. This one leads to the boss fight, so what I would really recommend here is the following. If you've been playing the game normally, you should probably be close to level 7 at this point. So I would say, stay here a get that extra level. First of all it gives you a full heal and second it will improve your attack and defence. And we're definitely going to need that very shortly.

Anyway, going up the staircase...

...leads, of course, to the boss arena! For real. Also, looks like Manjimaru's mother is here captured and is supervillain-style suspended over the fire pit!

You're here, Manjimaru!

There is no other choice here but to approach the boss!

Did you come all this way just so you could casually kill me and save your beautiful mother? That's so sweet!
Too sweet, in fact. Do you really think you're strong enough to beat me, even if you can't let a woman or two die?

By the way, aren't the enemy sprites in this game just awesome looking, despite the limited resolution and number of colours on screen?

Anyway, as you can see by Manjimaru's stats being shown on top of the screen, the boss fight is already started.

He has 120 HP and basically...

...just this one attack, which is to "swing his sword with all his might". It deals about 5 damage to Manjimaru. On the other hand, Manjimaru deals at level 7 about 30 damage to him. So this will not really last too long although you might want to top off your HP near the end of the fight (trust me on this one).

Awesome.

I know, I know. For a soldier of the Root Clan, how can he be so weak, that's what you're thiking, right?
Hahahahaha. All right, I will live up to your expectations, then. So, get your eyes out and take a good look, for this is the true power of the Root Clan!

Mm-hm. Yep. You know that feeling the the JRPG boss is trolling you.

Anyway, second phase! His stats have increased slightly: this time he has 130 HP and Manjimaru can deal about 20 damage in one hit. On the other hand, he now deals about 8 damage per hit (his attack is still the same, just more powerful). The problem is that in addition to his own attack, he also counters every one of yours--the end result is that he basically attacks twice per turn most of the time. This is a problem, for one simple reason: the turn order. It can happen that he goes second in a turn, but that he then ends up going first in the next turn. So this means in general you need to be ready to take up to three of his attacks at any point during this fight otherwise you can be in for a very bad time if you get unlucky with the turn order. So, now you'll need to use those heals finally! Othewise, this is not too different from last time and is simply about trading blows.

All right, let's try this again.

How can I of all people be...
So, this is what the people of Fire Clan are like... Well, next time we meet, I will definitely mean it, you kid!

And he's gone and we can rescue our mother.

Thank you, Manjimaru! Your strength is truly...
But you need to become even stronger...
Finally, that day has come. Let's return home quickly, I have something very important to talk to you about urgently.

Back at home, mum has a story to tell us. And it's a bit of a long one, so get comfortable!

Manjimaru, right now, I have to give you your father's words. I was told to absolutely tell you all this in case of emergency. So I have no choice, but to tell you...
It is said that a thousand years ago a small country named The Root Country plotted to conquer Jipang.

The Root Clan used seven giant orchids to revive the evil god, Yomi.

With their help, Jipang was turned into hell and they ultimately took control over it.

But only the people known as the Fire Clan continued to stubbornly fight against the Root Clan until the very end. The battle lasted a thousand days, during which time most of the Fire Clan lives were lost and so was their capital city.

Manjimaru, your father told me that you are also a member of the Fire Clan.
That's why you have to fight. He said that because you are of the Fire Clan, you have to protect Jipang.
To tell you the truth, I actually didn't want to tell you all this. You're the only one I have left now that dad is gone, and you're his son...

She steps over to the chest of drawers. Remember, this is the one which we found was locked at the start of the game!

Take these with you, Manjimaru. Here's the battle coat and the sword your father gave me.

Heirloom sword obtained!

Battle coat obtained!

Manjimaru equips them automatically.

[SENGOKU MANJIMARU]

Go, Manjimaru! If you have to, go, and come back the youngest general in Jipang! Mother will always be here, waiting for you! Go and retrieve the seven holy swords and cut down the dark orchids. Come back home as a man who surpassed his father!

Well, thanks mum. In any case, we're done here and can now go on our "real" adventure! But before that...

...let's quickly check our equipment screen. We find that indeed the two new pieces of equipment have been put into their expected slots, brining our stats up by a fair bit. And so here is where we are. Attack 53, Defence 45, Agility 46. This should help a lot with random encounters. The old equipment you can of course sell at the earliest opportunity to free up the very limited inventory space.

Anyway, let's head out.

It seems that half the village have gathered in front of our door! In addition to that, the game starts to play a rather heroic music theme, which you can listen to by clicking the below link.

The music in this game is pretty good actually, so I will from time to time provide links to some of it. As you may have noticed in the credits cutscene, in charge of music for this game was the Studio Ghibli legend, Joe Hisaishi and he also composed some of the music tracks (in the first game of the Tengai Makyou series, the music director was none other than Ryuichi Sakamoto). Anyway, the music in this game is kind of interesting also because while a lot of it is just synthesized by the console, for the more "important" tracks, they are recorded as CD audio tracks and simply played in game.

Back to the game, we'll continue by talking to ALL of these people (of which there is 9 plus the two kids, probably Manjimaru's minions)!

I heard that you saved Oharu-san and the people of Takayama. I thought you were just a brat, but all of a sudden you turned praiseworthy!
Right, I think you father was a fried of tengu at Mt. Mitake. So you should go and seek him out, he will help you.

Sure. I mean he will just have a magic scroll, like all other tengu, but still.

It seems that people have returned to Takayama safely. Go and pay them a visit to cheer them up!
Since you like to fight so much, I'm sure you won't lose to anyone! Go for it!
I did nothing but nag you, but now everyone in the village sees you in a new light. Please forgive me!
We'll protect Oharu-san! Don't worry about the village, just go and do your best!
Manjimaru! Go and cause havoc in the wide world! Let the name of Shirakawa's brat general be heard across Jipang! Also, it seems that Taikun and his party passed through the checkpoint south of Takayama into the Owari province. Chase him down and punch him in the face when you see him again!
You caused many troubles here, but we'll miss you when you're gone. So come and visit from time to time.
Your mother is a strong and determined person, but still... think of her sometimes when you're sleeping under the open sky on your journey!

And finally, our two minions.

It's so exciting that the boss was carrying that heavy fate on his back! We can't do anything to help you, but we'll all protect the village!
You're going away alone, boss. But it's only for a while. You'll be back soon. *sniff*

Next, let's talk to people in these two houses. We'll start from the left.

Oharu-san said something about a holy sword. But can it really defeat the Root Clan?

And the kid:

Boss, where are you going? It's sad, but if that's your decision, I'll see you off with a smile!

The other house.

It seems that the Root Clan castle has appeared south in the Owari province.

Excuse me, what do you mean by "appeared"? Ah, I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually.

Over here is the shop. I remember to sell my not needed equipment, but if we go upstairs...

...there is a person in bed here who is not feeling too well.

*cough* I had a bad dream... Under a big orchid, the youkai were eating people. It must be coming to me straight from hell... I guess I don't have long left to live.

Down here we have two more houses.

Since the guy is only a save point, we'll talk to the woman instead.

The travelling salesmen are talking that Taikun and his people have headed south. Be careful!

And the three people upstairs.

You have an important mission, but please keep in mind also auntie Oharu.
It seems that your destiny has begun to move in a big way. Manjimaru, you're a man too big to fit in this small village. When you're done with your travels, you'll probably leave the village, but I have no doubt you will be fine.

The last person gives us a bit of a tutorial which we can skip since we already know the stuff.

In the other house.

You will come back a greater man than your father, Manjimaru. Everyone in the village is praying for your safety.

Finally, we'll go inside the temple. The two minions here are the same ones we already saw in front of our house, so no need to talk to them again.

Every day will boring while the boss is gone...
Boss! I heard the rumour that the dark orchid can only be cut down by the holy sword of the Fire Clan! So please do your best!

No pressure, though.

I'll come up with a new prank, for when you come back, Boss!

All right, finally, we can set off.

Since there were some mentions about Taikun and his posse going towards the southern checkpoint, let's first head there to see what we can find.

We'll go past Takayama going south...

...and then head west.

By the way, the lightning spell we got last time is excellent for this situation. It hits all enemies at once plus it one-shots these guys.

But anyway, here's the checkpoint. As you can see it's not possible to reach the southern side without going through it (the rest of the map has mountains which block the way). Let's head in and see what goes on there.

As usual we'll talk to the locals.

I'm thinking of going to Takayama, but I heard it's dangerous now. What do you think?

The second person has a more useful comment.

If you go south along the river, you'll reach Umase village, where they have the waterwheels. It's a small village, but travelling salesmen hang out there, so you can hear all sorts of rumours.

Ah. That sounds like our cup of tea. But first we have the house here to check out.

A couple of soldiers are stationed here.

Ah, the Taikun's party has gone south. Actually I don't want them to come back again--they just cause us more work, like having to escort them. It's such a nuisance.
Oh! You! I know you! You defeated the monster in Double-ended cave! But I can't remember your name, ahahahahaha! By the way, did you hear the rumour that you can recover your physical strength and skill level simply by walking around. You don't have to go back to an inn.

Sure, and indeed being able to recover HP and MP by walking would be super useful... were it not for the fact that there is a random encounter every few steps. In any case, "going back to an inn" will become sort of a solved problem soon(ish).

Anyway that's all there is here, so we'll proceed on south. It might be useful to head first to Umase village.

Lots of bridges here!

Also some new (and stronger) enemies. This is "monster root" and I hate him.

As you can see, his defence stat is really high, which means that Manjimaru does not do much damage and it takes multiple hits to get rid of him. On the other hand his attack is reasonably strong too. And the rewards are not great: 1 EXP, are you kidding me?

When it's just one like this it's sort of manageable, but we'll see shortly a much more annoying enemy formation.

Anyway, on the screenshot with all the bridges, you can already see the village we're going to, so we'll just head in.

Welcome to Umase village (馬瀬="horse rapids").

Let's talk to the person!

There's something strange going on with the Joumon cave. You should talk to the travelling salesmen at the village headman's house. If you are heading down to Owari province, you should probably go and talk to them.

Incidentally, many of the place names in this game are historical place names in Japan. Such is the case also with Owari province which used to be where the city of Nagoya is today. Also, the village headman's house is that one right there, so let's see.

The headman as always only acts as a save point, so we'll talk to the other guys.

Nowadays, the only way between Hida and Owari provinces is the underground cave. It used to be a tomb, but someone turned it into a passage. I guess it must have been some kind of a cursed fellow who wanted to have an easy access to steal from the city.
Oltimers like us still remember when the Joumon Cave was a treasure trove. These days, there's hardly anything to be found there, although I heard the other day about about a guy who made a fortune picking up a shamisen and a biwa there.

Shamisen and biwa (a kind of a lute) are both traditional Japanese instruments.

Are you going to Owari province? There is a road called Joumon south of the village, but I hear that monsters have taken up residence there. It's not really my business, so I won't tell you to stay away from there, but really you should stay away, all right?
I was going to go through the Joumon Cave and quickly get to Inuyama, but... I got too scared. There's something in there...

Nice. Sounds very inviting. But ultimately we need to follow on the trail of Taikun and his people, so we'll have to keep going south.

There are also a couple of people upstairs!

I shouldn't be saying bad things, but... don't get yourself involved with the man sleeping over there. Sometimes you think you're saving somebody, but before long you find that you've gotten into trouble yourself. Do you understand?
It was good for him that Atsuko disappeared. Between you and me, she is a bit... in the head. Even if you meet her, just don't talk to her at all. I hope I'm not telling you this too late.

So, yeah, there's that sleeping guy there in the corner and we can talk to him. But... should we?

In any case we will not do it just yet. This whole thing is actually a part of a sidequest, which is better left for a bit later on. So we'll be back to deal with that.

In the meantime, back outside, here we have two people.

The creepy looking root on the other side of the southern mountains is apparently the root of that flower which grows in Takayama. There's another similar one to the west of this village, but I heard it's a different colour. I wonder if it also blooms elsewhere. Can't we do something about it, it's just a couple of flowers?

Or seven. He's talking about those roots blocking the road that we saw last time. But apparently there are other similar ones in different colour? Does it mean more dark orchids in the world? I mean probably yes, based on what Manjimaru's mother told us.

Let's talk to the farmer.

The Root Clan is said to be hanging about in these parts, so I can't even go for a walk...

Yeah, you almost definitely don't want to be leaving your village right now.

Over here we have a few wheelhouses on the river. The one on the right is empty, but the other two have people inside. However, let's first talk to the guy near the bridge.

You see them often outside the village... they're the Root Clan. They seem to work for Taikun, looking for a purple-haired youth. Hey! Don't tell me it's you! Well, just... don't go near the Joumon cave, all right?

Sorry, but... I don't think we have a choice here.

Then we check out the first wheelhouse.

Talking to her gives me a headache. Better not do it.

And what does she have to say.

It goes round and round... the water wheel goes round and round. When I look at the wheel, I see that everything goes round and round. Me. You. The entire human history. A water wheel is better because at least it doesn't turn empty. How curious.

All right...

...let's check the other wheelhouse.

No matter how much flour I grind, thanks to the Root Clan, I can't go to the other villages to sell it. Bullying us poor people is not really funny, you know.

Next, we have these two ladies in front of the shop.

Kabuki Danjurou is a big and strong man who lives in Inuyama town, down in Owari province. He seems to claim to be of Fire Clan. He's way stylish, even her daughter Atsuko went to meet him.

We're definitely staying away from the Atsuko sidequest for now, as mentioned. However, if this Kabuki claims to be of Fire Clan, then we should probably go and see him... which means we'll have to brave the cave.

The other person:

If I was 30 years younger like my daughter Atsuko, I would fly to Master Kabuki... but I also have a husband to think of. But do such small details even matter with a deep love like this.

So. This Kabuki dude seems to be a bit of a heartbreaker.

Let's go in the shop.

We can talk to the guy in the corner there.

I know you from the Fire Clan have a strong body and can basically recover by sleeping it off and poison or curse don't matter. But even so, if you go to an unfamiliar place, you should at least take some refreshing tablets with you. They can bring everything back to normal immediately.

"Refreshing Tablets" (清涼丸) are actually a thing in traditionaly East Asian medicine. Their effect is basically like paracetamol, to relieve the symptoms of fever. In this game, they recover one party member from status effects.

Yes, this is absolutely a hint that the next boss fight will involve also a status effect attack, but it's pretty minor so it won't play a decisive role. Therefore you don't necessarily need to worry about this just yet.

Let's go upstairs.

The village headman's boy is a bit in trouble. He seems completely out of it just because that woman ran away. I mean... is Kabuki Danjurou really that much of a lady-killer?

This is about Atsuko again, I guess? Also, this Kabuki has been built up so much that we're bound to be disappointed when we actually meet him, I think.

In Inuyama in Owari province, they are gatheing an army to fight the war against the Root Clan! They are doing it right now! Of course I'm going to go and join too... that is, if my mummy lets me.

We have two more houses to visit, next to the shop.

I overheard that Takayama and the Root Clan are somehow related. I haven't seen it with my own eyes but I heard some people saw them coming out of the ground...
About six months ago, I was working on a dig site for Taikun near the Capital. I went there because they were paying good money. Eventually we found some kind of sword and had to be really careful with it. Taikun said he was taking it to Owari... but I don't think he realised how far it is. You're going to steal it from him sonny, right?

Well, that sounds like a holy sword to me. So, probably?

Also the capital has no specific name in the game, it's referred to simply as... The Capital
(京).

The other house:

I hear that a castle made of bones has sudenly appeared in the Owari province to the south... That's quite troublesome... and then I hear that there is a giant flower blooming in Takayama. What the heck is even going on around here?

Yeah, well, that's what we're here to figure out!

Upstairs.

If you go west along the mountains south of this village there lives a Tengu with whom I was always playing go. But now that the roots have sprouted the road is blocked and I can't visit him any more.

Before we go, let's not forget this kid here on the stone path.

Are you brother Manjimaru-san?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Master Tengu from Mt. Mitake says you should visit him once. The mountain is far to the east, near a big pond, so you should be able to see it easily. Oh, right, he likes people to bring him soba dumplings as souvenir.

Soba dumplings is another HP recovery item. So I bought one of those in the shop before, just so we don't visit the Tengu empty-handed!

It's time to head back out!

If we look to the west...

...we do indeed find some roots blocking the way, and they are indeed different colour from the ones last time (sea-blue this time), exactly as we were told. Well, nothing doing here, so let's head the other way.

Some way to the east, squeezed between a mountain and a large lake, we find another Tengu's hut, also exactly as we were told. Let's pay him a visit.

Oh, yes! The soba dumplings! Give them to me, Manjimaru! Mmmm, delicious!
By the way, Manjimaru, it's been a while, so you probably don't remember... but actually your father and I were friends and you've been here with him a few times.
Oh, that was tasty! Anyway, take this "Angel's Raiment" scroll!

Obtained the "Angel's Raiment" scroll.

Now this one is interesting. It's actually gives you the limited ability to fast travel! It costs 6 MP to use, but it allows you to teleport to any town within the same province that you've already been to. So it's not possible to travel longer distances, but still, if you make sure to leave 6 MP unused, it gives you a quick exit to a town with an inn in case you get too beaten up at some point. Not bat at all.

Tengu has a bit more to say.

The Root Clan must have hidden the seven holy swords inside their castles. Without them, there's nothing we can do against dark orchids. Manjimaru, you need to go and retrieve those swords!

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm working on it.

Well, all right. Let's leave here...

...and try to find our way towards the Joumon cave.

Ugh, I hate these monster roots so much and now there's two of them plus a flower.

We found the cave, but here is also another blocked path. This time, the flowers are red.

As we walk to the cave...

Oh god.

Yeah, as you can imagine, this is for sure the strongest enemy so far and with most HP too. We can just about handle it and our Lightning Flash scroll certainly works on it decently well.

But I should probably explain that name. "Night-sword gods" (夜刀の神) a.k.a. Yato-no-kami, are snake-like deities in Japanese folklore. Their first written appearance is around the 8th century and are generally considered to be malevolent. Their name in the game is shortened to just ヤト (Yato), but it's clear what they are meant to be.

Well, all right, I guess we should head in.

But before that, a piece of advice. Don't head inside unless Manjimaru is at least level 9. There is a boss fight at the end, and you won't be surviving it on a lower level than 9--I will explain more in a moment.

The cave starts with a long(ish) hallway...

...leading to a staircase going down.

Well, what is this now. This is also a short dungeon with just this one floor. Interestingly, there are no random encounters here, but instead you can see the enemies walking around. You really want to conserve your HP and heals, so in order to get to the boss, it's best to simply treat this as a stealth section. The enemies will not attack you unless you come near them, so just try to avoid them as you walk around.

However, if you do get attacked...

...here's what happens. "Warm Corpse" is such an absolutely endearing name.

Really, just avoid them.

Anyway, the important part is that there are a bunch of chests around this place. Generally, they are empty (we've been told that the place has already been looted!), however... there are two which still have stuff in them.

Like this one here... but this one is a joke so just ignore it.

And also this one here, in the furthest top right corner. At first glance this one sounds terrible too--after all, it seems to be just a weapon, and weaker than the one we already have, too.

However, the appearances can be deceiving. You definitely want to get this before going into the boss fight.

All the rest of the chests here, most of them are empty, but some will also thrust you into a battle with a Warm Corpse. Either way, other than the two I mentioned, none of the rest are worth opening.

After picking up the halberd, we want to head down this way, making sure we're not seen by those guys.

And here we go, the boss is literally waiting for us. In the top corner there, you can just about see part of another chest. It takes a long way around to go there and back out and it's... just empty like most of them! Such a troll... although we HAVE been told about that situation.

Anyway, let's approach.

I literally can't believe you managed to defeat that horned idiot.
I am the Clawed King, of the Grim Reaper Bros! Don't worry, this will only hurt a little!

So, I try not to do this too much, but I can't resist here. It's time for a "translator's note", sponsored today by the "Keikaku means Plan" corporation. Anyway, in that last bit "this will only hurt a little", the Japanese verb used is かわいがる, which officially means "to treat someone in an affectionate way", however it is very often used ironically to mean the exact opposite, i.e. to give a "rough" treatment to someone. So I tried to preserve here a bit the wordplay present in the original.

Anyway, this battle is not "difficult" as such, however, it's kind of a damage race. He can damage you for a lot and you simply need to be able to keep up with your heals and to damage him also in the process. When you're level 8 or lower, this generally will not work, because he is doing too much damage. Upgrading to level 9 will increase your defence, plus get you enough MP for two more heals with the Fresh Grass scroll. Of course you can also go and buy healing items, but on level 8 and lower no matter how many of those you have you simply are not going to be able to keep up turn wise--did I forget to mention that he generally attacks twice per turn? Yeah, he does.

Mostly, this will be his opening move. Acid is sort of like a weak poison--at this point it deals 2 HP of damage per turn. You can use a Refreshing Tablet to heal it, but also you don't have to. It's only 2 HP per turn after all, and you will have to heal often either way, so it seems to me like a waste of a turn to bother getting this status off you.

Other than that...

...he will just use a normal physical attack like this. It deals about 15 damage per attack, so generally we can expect at least 30 or so per his turn in total (when he doesn't use acid).

In the end, this is basically a damage race, but is there anything we can to do help ourselves a little bit here?

As it turns out, there is. It's only a small help, but still.

So, uh, remember that broken halberd? As I said, it's a (weak) weapon, so it's of no use that way, however... If you have played older Final Fantasy games, in particular Final Fantasy 4/5/6, then you might recall that in those games, weapons can often be also used as items during a battle. E.g. in FF IV, there is a weapon called the Ice Rod, normally meant for mage characters. However, you can also use it in battle as an item and in that case you get a free infinite number of casts of a weak Blizzard spell.

You can already see where I'm going with this. This game also allows you to do the same with some of the weapons... and the broken halberd is certainly one of them. But, what kind of effect does it have? Well, let's use it and see...

And what does the heat haze actually do? Why, it reduces his hit accuracy! It's not really by much, he'll only miss about 25% of the time, but every little bit helps, really. Just be careful--it doesn't last forever. The game will tell you that the "heat haze has faded out", so this is your cue to reapply it. As I said, it's only a little help, but it's free so why not.

Anyway, it continues on like this, with trading blows until he's defeated.

Luckily here there is no second phase, so after he's defeated, we just get a few "choice" words.

I see... so you are not completely useless, after all. Well, it's not going to be so easy next time.

Ugh, why does there have to be a next time? I'm fine how things are now! Either way, that was the second Grim Reaper brother.

Now we can take the staircase up. As mentioned, that closed chest there is one of the empty ones.

And we just make our way out through the exit corridor. Unfortunately, status effects like acid do persist after the battle, but in this case, it will actually wear off by the time we exit the cave.

And... we managed to reach the Owari province. But who are those guys to the right. They look a bit weird. Let's have a look.

We were tricked by them! We were used by them! They made us believe that we could conquer Jipang by recovering the seven swords that sealed the dark orchids! We were used! It's not our fault! We are not the bad guy! We are not the bad guy! It's not our fault!

Ahahahahahahaha, what can one even say here. But more importantly, who are those three sages even working for actually? Well, there's time to figure that out. But in the meantime, two of Taikun's servants are also here in an advanced state of petrification, so let's talk to them while we still can!

We were made like this because that fool Taikun asked those guys to give him eternal life!
My head is getting foggy... What... the king of Jipang... the first retainer...

The second guy is already losing it, it seems...

By the way, in case you are wondering about the way Taikun speaks. In original Japanese, he is using for himself the pronoun "maro" (麿) which is a very archaic first person pronoun that used to be used primarily by high ranking nobles/court. So the constant use of "we" in English is meant to mimic that to an extent.

Well, that was all fun and games, but... at this point I realise I had forgotten to do something. So I head back to Umase village (you can walk back through the cave, all enemies are now gone there so it's completely safe!).

Over to the shop.

Let's just buy a straw hat to improve our defence a little bit! It's a typical old style Japanese straw hat (sandogasa):

Equipping it gives us +2 in defence compared to our previous equipment:

All right, now back to where we were.

if we go a few steps to the south...

...we find what looks like a slightly bigger town! Let's check in, if nothing else to get some rest after all of this. It probably doesn't come across so much through screenshots, but due to a somewhat realistic world layout and such (and the inability to save on the overworld) this game kind of really makes you feel like you're on a journey, and is a bit of a relief when you reach a place where you can rest safely for a bit. Anyway, into the town!

Welcome to Inuyama town! Inuyama (犬山) means "dog mountain".

Hoever, immediately, things start happening!

A guy that is being carried on some sort of carrier is brought in! Let's see what this is all about!

OH. MY. GOD. THIS GUY.

In any case, he leaves the scene, just the same way he came.

So this is the famed Kabuki Danjurou, the most eligible man of Jipang... Well, the first impression maybe not that great, but we'll see. Incidentally, he is voiced by Yamaguchi Kappei, known back in the day for his roles as male Ranma and Inuyasha.

All right then. Looks like the plot is fully in motion, but we'll stop here for now. Next time we'll explore the new town and continue on our journey!

Take care and see you soon!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ivantod posted:

So, I try not to do this too much, but I can't resist here. It's time for a "translator's note", sponsored today by the "Keikaku means Plan" corporation. Anyway, in that last bit "this will only hurt a little", the Japanese verb used is かわいがる[i], which officially means "to treat someone in an affectionate way", however it is very often used ironically to mean the exact opposite, i.e. to give a "rough" treatment to someone. So I tried to preserve here a bit the wordplay present in the original.

Just for future reference, you could consider "I'll take GOOD care of you" which has a similar set of idiomatic meanings in English - that is, literally meaning to help someone but frequently used to mean the opposite, especially with emphasis on the word 'good'.

(Please don't take this as a criticism of the amazing job you're doing here; just a thought I had.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I... can see why Kabuki Dan is the most elegable man in all of Japan. Wait, you don't mean in the "He seems to be a reprehensible shitstain of a human being that no woman would willingly go near"?

Whe he joins the party, does he bring his palanquin and the women who can apparently fuckihg book it while hauling him?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Dude, the orchids have literally just shown up. There's living for your own pleasure, but you can do that far better when the land isn't demon-infested hellscape.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Y'all have had a thousand years of relative peace, you can't spare maybe 5 tops to bring another thousand? And if you think you're a chick magnet now, wait till they know you're a hero that repelled the demon invasion. I guarantee you'll stand out more than now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel people didn't read what Manjimaru's mother said. The seven heroes sacrificed their lives to use the holy swords to cut the seven dark orchids. There's no "oh just join for a bit, defeat the bad guys then go back to womanizing". From all we, and likely Kabuki Danjurou, know, this is a suicidal mission even if they succeed.

He's still a self-centered jerk but I can't blame him for not wanting to join Manjumaru here. I can blame him for everything else such as mocking Manjumaru though.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Just for future reference, you could consider "I'll take GOOD care of you" which has a similar set of idiomatic meanings in English - that is, literally meaning to help someone but frequently used to mean the opposite, especially with emphasis on the word 'good'.

(Please don't take this as a criticism of the amazing job you're doing here; just a thought I had.)
Thanks! As I've mentioned before English is not my native language so I miss the simple options like this sometimes! :v:

Randalor posted:

Whe he joins the party, does he bring his palanquin and the women who can apparently fuckihg book it while hauling him?
He does not bring it, however fear not, there will certainly be a payoff for the whole palanquin thing very soon!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I like the asides on folklore and translations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm curious, when leaving the house one of the npcs mentioned that the people were returned to Takayama and you should visit them, is there any new or interesting dialogue there?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cirina posted:

I'm curious, when leaving the house one of the npcs mentioned that the people were returned to Takayama and you should visit them, is there any new or interesting dialogue there?

Ugh, I accidentally skipped it it seems!

It's only 3-4 people and they don't really say anything we haven't already heard from others in some form or another. However, I will incorporate it into the next update (alternately if I run over the character limit for a post then I will edit it into the previous update--but either way it will be posted somehow).

Sorry about that!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

When we last left off, Manjimaru finished defeating (with some difficulty) two of the three Grim Reaper Bros. Finally he entered Inuyama town where we had a somewhat unfortunate encounter with Kabuki Danjurou, apparently the most eligible man in Jipang.

However, last time we were also told to go and check in on the inhabitants of Inuyama, after we managed to free some of them from the prison in Double-ended cave.

Since I forgot to do it then, let's do it now and see how they are doing.

The town is certainly still not in a great shape, but some of the life has returned to it, so let's see who we can find. First we can already talk to that gentleman there.

Ah, both my family and home are gone... I wonder if there's anything left to live for?

And a lady over here...

Ah, Manjimaru-san... It's good that you have been able to return to the village, but you look different somehow... Anyway, I think I heard them say that they are hiding the holy sword in the Demon Bone Castle down in Owari province... Please be careful...

Lovely. With that kind of name it must be an absolutely lovely place. Can't wait (not).

There's not many people around so they are quite spread apart...

I'm glad that your mother is safe, Manjimaru-san. I'm really glad... please keep her safe! Manjimaru-san, this is not an unreasonable request, right? I'm looking forward to the day this dark orchid will be gone...

Well, let's also check out a few houses. Like this one for example.

There are a couple of people upstairs.

No matter what we do, this town is no more... I thought about leaving, but... Jipang is full of Root Clan anyway... There's darkness everywhere... Anyhow we're all going to die...
Even though you made the effort to rescue us *cough* that man only sits around and whines... When I'm feeling better again I'm literally going to strangle him! But, Manjimaru-san. Be careful when you go to Owari province. The Root Clan is definitely going to try and ambush you in Joumon cave!

In another house...

...upstairs, there are a couple more people in recovery.

Ah... Why did such a terrible thing happen on the day of the festival that everybody was looking forward to so much?
Manjimaru-san... Taikun seems to have gone through the southern checkpoint... Chase them and avenge us!

And here is the inn where Manjimaru and his posse were going to stay.

The innkeeper is not doing so well...

If I take money from you, Manjimaru-san, I don't think I could face my dead son... So please stay here for free if you need.

And his daughter.

Boss! My brother... My brother was eaten by a monster... Boss, please catch the villain!

And one last person upstairs.

Manjimaru boss-san... Why did my husband and I get spared, but my son...

Finally, the village headman's house.

There are three people here.

Manjimaru-san, who the hell are those guys from the Root Clan? He was saying some nonsense about a thousand year vow or something...
Manjimaru-san, the Root Clan people mentioned something about a hideout in the Demon Bone Castle, down south in Owari province. Are you going there? Don't die--you're the only one who can fight them now!
Master Manjimaru! I heard the story! Taikun intends to take over all of Jipang with the power of those monsters! Please go after him and stop this nonsense!

That's pretty much everything going on in Takayama village at the moment (other than the fact that the shops have reopened).

So let's head back to where we were, i.e. Inuyama town.

As always...

...we'll make a tour of the town! So let's start here.

Weapon dealers from all over the country have gathered in the town because our lord was about to start the fight against the Root Clan. There's even a fellow who started an armoury! There are many shops with a dizzying array of goods, but they all seem to be thriving somehow...

Indeed, you can see shops all around us right here. There are even two weapon shops (the two bottom ones with the symbol). They both sell completely different items from each other. There are also more weapon shops in this town that just these two.

Over here on the east side, even more shops and also this elderly gentleman.

In the south east of Owari province there is a lake off whose coast is a pagoda where goddess Benten lives, a holy place that all men would like to visit. I would also like to go there at least once before I die!

Benten (or more often, Benzaiten) is the Buddhist goddess of arts/wisdom/eloquence. Knowing this game, surely this is someone we can actually meet with. So let's make a note of this for later.

Hello, lady!

Master Kabuki was chosen as captain at such a young age because of his performance during the first attack on Demon Bone Castle! He couldn't be more different than you--you just loiter around towns, not knowing what to do.

A little dig at the player here, I guess. But also, when exactly was this attack on the castle?

People are a bit spread around in this town...

That old lady claims to know how to open the gates of the Demon Bone Castle! But she's known to exaggerate things, so take it with a grain of salt.

Well, there is certainly an old lady over here.

They say that a hermit who lives beyond the eastern mountains has acquired a rare musical instrument... but I wonder if that fool can even play it? Anyway, if you would like to pay him a visit, go to the Akiba mountains near the Nagashino town.

Oh, good. More new places to visit. So Nagashino town is in the far eastern part of the province, noted.

Also the other woman at the top there.

I was really surprised to hear that the Demon Bone Castle of the Root Clan sprang suddenly from the ground. But now that Master Kabuki Danjurou has been named the commander of the suppression force, I feel much safer.

Looks like it would not be so bad to have Kabuki in our party, huh? But convincing him is not going to be easy, I'm sure.

There are the two guards, but they don't have much to say!

This here is Inuyama castle!

Inside the castle walls (you can just about see the castle itself on the right.

The Demon Bone Castle has suddenly appeared in the forest to the south. It seems to have cause all the trees in the area to wither away. Make sure not to come near it.

I'm pretty sure we'll be disregarding this warning very soon. But wor now, let's head into the house right there.

Well, I guess that would be Kabuki and a bunch of women. Let's talk to the ladies first.

Atsuko is again alone in the corner of the room. I wish that depressed kid would snap out of it...

Ah, yeah, she is over there.

And you are Master Kabuki's... servant? slave? what? I'll tell you honestly, you don't seem very manly to me.
No way! You have your eyes set on Master Kabuki too? No, don't hide it, as a woman, I can tell!
Oh, my Maaaaaaaaster Kabuki...

And finally, Atsuko.

Don't talk to me so casually!

However, had we taken that love letter, things would have gotten a lot more messy here. But, we'll see about that later.

After all this, of coruse we can talk to Kabuki too.

So you really will do anything to get me to join you, huh?
[ Yes. ] / No.
I see. Well, I know how you feel. After all, Kabuki is about a million times stronger than you.
Well... if you manage to sort out the Demon Bone Castle on your own, then maybe I'll change my mind.
But, then again, maybe I won't! Gahahahahahaha!

Oh, man. But either way, now we know what we need to do to get him to join. Also, this means we'll be alone for a while longer. Sigh. Either way, we can't do anything here right now.

Therefore, let's head into the other house next to this one.

I want to receive credit for participating in the next siege of Demon Bone Castle and serve here. Of course, the reward of 1000 ryo would also be nice, but I guess that belongs to commander Kabuki.
I will participate in the next attack on Demon Bone Castle and I will become a full fledged samurai. Of course, there's that 1000 ryo reward, too...

All right, so let's head into the castle proper.

Nice.

Of course, there's more people here, so let's talk to both of them to start with.

In the previous attack on the Demon Bone Castle, many of the decent samurai were killed by the enemy. So we are gathering soldiers urgently... but we have problems to get the number we need. So, all that's left now is to rely on Master Kabuki.
The people in this town are all decent, but they've barely even held a shovel in their life, much less a weapon. Most of the true samurai like me have sufferent injuries in the attack on Demon Bone Castle the other day...

And one more here.

Even if a large number of men rammed the gates of Demon Bone Castle, they wouldn't even leave a scratch. It's being protected by a huge evil power. Until we can find a way to open it, no matter how many times we attack it, it will only result in more people dying.

Next we go upstairs...

...where more people await.

Somewhere in this province, it seems there can be found an instrument that can open seals that are protected by an evil spirit... like the door of Demon Bone Castle. I was also looking for it, but I can't recall what kind of instrument it was. A flute? Or a drum? Ah, maybe it was a shamisen?

Interestingly, we were told last time about some musical instruments getting stolen from Joumon cave. In that case, they spoke of a shamisen and a biwa. So perhaps one of those two? We'll see.

Also as you can see this is a very "old school" JRPG, although back in 1992 it probably wouldn't have been thought of as such.

Hey boy, can you tell me one thing? How does one hold a sword? And if you get cut by it does it hurt? What if I die?

Well, it certainly looks like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel here as far as soldiers.

Root? It's okay, leave it to us. It's surely easier than farm work! Just... what kind of root is it? A radish? A carrot?

Yeah, like I said.

In Owari province, besides Inuyama town, there's also Nagashino town and Fukushima village. Nagashino is all the way in the southeast and it also has a castle. The lord of that castle is our lord's younger brother.

One more person on the other side of the wall.

From the lord of Matsuzaka castle in the Ise province, a carrier pigeon has arrived with the news. It seems that a castle of Root Clan has appeared there too. They've asked us for reinforcements, but we are dealing with our own mess here, too. To begin with, the border crossing at the Suzuka mountain pass is blocked by the roots of a dark orchid!

We're learning of a lot of new places!

Also, since you can already see that staircase to the left, let's go up it to the top floor of the castle!

Up there is what looks like (sort of) a throne room. So let's first talk to the person in the corner.

These days it smells a lot like manure in the castle... The only person we can really rely on is Master Kabuki. Ah... Master Kabuki...

So it seems that they've basically been recruiting farmers with no fighting experience. This can only end well...

Anyway, let's talk to the lord.

I am the lord of Inuyama castle. Would you like to join the suppression forces?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Well, I'm grateful for your offer, but you're not tall enough to meet the recruitment standard for a proper samurai. But you could try talking to my brother in Nagashino.

Sure, ok.

But in any case, we're done with the castle. Back outside...

...let's improve our equipment slightly here in the weapon shop.

Let's buy deerskin shoes.

They replace our previous straw sandals for a nice +5 increase in defence. As always, sell the old equipment to reduce "inventory capacity pressure"

One more thing, though. This guy here was talking about the "old lady who knows how to open the gates of Demon Bone Castle".

She lives in this house, in fact.

I once heard that there was an instrument lying around in Joumon cave that can break demonic seals. It's probably not true, but if such instrument truly exists, then it might be used to enter the Demon Bone Castle.

Ah, so it's definitely one of those two that we've already heard about. My guess is on biwa, but let's see how this goes. By the way, biwa is simply a Japanese version of lute and they even look pretty much the same. Either way, the instrument is no longer in the cave, so we'll have to find it if we want to use it.

Also another guy who I forgot to talk to.

The women call him Master Danjurou, Master Kabuki, and they're all over him like other men don't exist. I'm just as good looking as him! He must be really glad that the Root clan showed up because he's the only one who can handle the monsters... just, he better not "handle" my wife, you know!

All right. let's head out.

We have only one lead--that a hermit living beyond the eastern mountains has come into possession of a musical instrument. So let's try to find him.

We'll head south across the bridge.

On the way, we see on the other side of the mountains what looks possibly like another Tengu's hut. Let's come back there later.

More new enemies are encountered on the way, such as this graveyard janitor (rather imaginative monster names in this game)! There are A LOT of different monsters in this game! Not to mention A LOT of unique boss fights, too!

The mentioned item gives you MP recovery.

Finally, we find ourselves by a cave with a sign in front of it. Let's read the sign first!

Unparalleled in history! The best in the world! The home of the strongest and last great mage, the renowned Snake Hermit!

(By the way, please announce yourself before coming in.)

Heh. But no, we're in a hurry, let's just go in directly!

I see you have a chest behind you.

Is this guy for real. But we don't have a choice, so...

...we go back outside and enter his cave again.

Seriously.

I mean.

It's been a while since I've had a visitor, so I was caught off guard a li'l before, you know.
You must be of Fire Clan. I know because I had two disciples of the Fire Clan in the past myself. One was Orochimaru, a smart and capable learner. The other was... a despicable, stupid fool called Kabuki.
He won't listen to me. He's selfish and always just does what he wants. On top of which, he's a ridiculous womaniser. He doesn't train seriously in martial arts, but just cares about wearing fancy clothes.
But if you get entangled with him, don't worry at all about what he says. If he gives you trouble, you just come to me and I'll sort him out, ok?

That's all nice, but... you don't happen to have a musical instrument? Ah, well, guess not.

Well, let's continue on our travels. We'll keep going east...

On the way, we notice this structure. I'm going to make a wild guess that that's the Demon Bone Castle. Well, nothing we can do about it now, so let's proceed without stopping.

On the way...

Ah yes. The Right Hands Of Night. Of course. For large groups, we'll just use our lightning spell, to minimise the amount of turns they would get otherwise. I mean, many times tiny amount of damage still adds up.

Even though they only have 6 HP, their defence is still quite high, making attacking them physically one by one a pain, as mentioned.

There's a definite "skeleton-y" theme to the monsters somewhat.

Also, notice the dead trees in the vicinity of Demon Bone Castle, just as we were told.

More trouble on the way...

...continuing the skeleton theme.

Travelling on the overworld in this game is actually quite dangerous. Even the relatively lower level enemies hit hard and the random encounter rate is moderately high. Better have enough healing capabilities with you! However, despite a somewhat higher than you would expect difficulty, the game is genuinely fun to play.

Eventually, far in the east, we reach a rather nice looking town with a castle. There's also something there in the lake, but we'll see about that later. It's probably the pagoda of goddess Benten, as we were told. For now, let's head in.

Welcome to Nagashino town! Nagashino (長篠) means "tall bamboo grass". The town itself seems a bit like a Jipangese Venice or Amsterdam (or actually now that I think of it, Stockholm), with lots of canals running through it. Honestly, this game well and truly nails the road trip/exploration aspect. The world just has a good feel about it.

So let's talk with the first three people on this island. (I don't normally go into shops as shopkeepers don't have any dialogue other than offering you their wares. Generally any house you see with a sign on it, like these here, are shops or inns.)

You must be a strange fellow to come to this half-deserted town... There used to be more people here, but the lord quickly fled once the Demon Bone Castle had appeared. And the warriors and merchants followed him. So now it's just us, peasants. We can't abandon the land we were born on, you know!

That's pretty sad.

When the lord left the town, the merchants closed their shops and went somewhere else. By the way, if you need a place to stay, go in the castle. They'll let you stay overnight for free.
Did you meet the Snake Hermit over in the western cave? Every day, that geezer practices his "entrance". And his disciple, Kabuki, is even more ridiculous than that old man. Seriously, the two of them just make the whole province seem rather undignified.

Indeed.

Let's cross over the bridge. By the way, notice the signs on each side of the bridge. The first one reads:

The fish in the moat are the property of the castle. Stealing will be punished severely.

And the second:

Entrance to the castle forbidden for those who are not samurai!

Now let's talk to the gentleman over there. (Notice also the cute Jizo statue to the right of that house. More on those shortly.)

The lord got so scared that he abandoned the castle! That cowardly idiot must have had his balls eaten by the Root Clan!

There is also this lady on the other side. You can also see the castle entrance here.

The samurai who were supposed to protect the castle, ran away before anyone else. Those swords they carry must be just a decoration. So now us farmers who didn't run away have to protect the land. Even if the Root Clan tries to kill us, we'll stay here!

Before heading into the castle, there is one more insland in the northeast, with two more people.

The lord here and the lord of Inuyama are brothers. But whereas the lord of Inuyama gathered the ronin and prepared for the war against the Root Clan, our lord just fled with his tail between his legs. Where he is, I do not know, but I'm sure he's leading a miserable life!
Hey, look. Aren't these eels cute? After the lord disappeared, we all started growing the eels in the castle moat. It's so we could all get stronger and fight against the Root Clan.

Oh, so they are just eating them? Also, eels are NOT cute--not even close.

And one more guy, up here.

It is said that the Umbrella Rock Hermit managed to trick those amateurs in Inuyama and acquire an amazing biwa. It seems that with a single flick of the finger, that Pure Land biwa can make the evil seals disappear.

I see, so it was a different hermit then, huh? Well, no problem, we'll find him somehow. Incidentally, Pure Land (浄土) is a buddhist term referring to the celestial realm of a buddha. Yes, this game never stood a chance of getting translated into English, that's pretty clear.

While we can't sleep in the hotel, there are still two people inside to talk to.

You can often hear the beautiful sound of the biwa from Benten's tower in the south. I'm sure it's goddess Bentent playing it herself. The Umbrella Rock Hermit seems to have obtained some kind of a shabby biwa, but his skills are nowhere close.

Hmm. This is getting complicated, we are receiving conflicting info from different people.

The other guy is a travelling salesman. But we don't need anything from him at the moment.

We're done talking to everyone in the town, so as a bit of an extra, let me show you the map of the whole town:

Pretty neat!

So, we want to head into the castle, but there are some good items here which we won't have space for in our inventory to be found there. Therefore it's time for some inventory juggling.

First we'll head back to Inuyama (use of course our Angel's Raiment ability for instant travel). Luckily, to compensate a bit for the limited inventory slots, the game does provide a "storage box" service where you can leave items you're not currently using. It's right here in this house. We'll leave here most of our equipment for now.

Then it's back to Nagashino. Of course, using Angel's Raiment is a must, since we have basically no defence at the moment without any of our equipment.

But now we can head into the castle.

Let's do our usual tour!

I hear you are fighting against the Root Clan? Then take anything you can find in the castle and avenge the people of this town who have been killed by the Root Clan!
Our scaredy-cat lord and the samurai have fled the castle, so we decided to live here instead! After experiencing the castle luxury, it's hard to go back to our previous homes!

And then the guy in the other room.

Because the lord has fled, so we're using this castle without permisison. You can also sleep or make a record here if you want. We even have a comfortable tatami for you!

As mentioned, you can rest or save here in the castle. That chest there only contains a nectar tablet (heal). Let's take that barely visible staircase upstairs.

Hello there.

Have you already been to Benten pagoda? It's visible there in the lake when you look south from the town. The goddess Benten is a beautiful woman and the object of admiration of all men in this country. She receives over 10,000 love letters each day. I've also sent ten myself and I'm excitedly waiting for a reply!

Well, at least we have confirmed what that thing in the lake is.

Hello there.

Are you going to the Demon Bone Castle? Then you should talk to the Umbrella Rock Hermit. He lives in a strangely shaped rock just beyond the northern mountains. I think Rokusuke-san on the third floor knows how to get there.

But, let's head further upstairs...

...and talk to that Rokusuke fellow.

Do you want to go to the Umbrella Rock? Then make an offering of miso dumplings at the Jizo statue at Mt. Akiba, north of the town.

Where would we find miso dumplings? It seems everyone wants dumplings in this country!

Oh, also the two chests there.

Manjimaru found the Foot Soldier's Lance.

And by "foot soldier", I mean "ashigaru" (足軽)--the samurai of the lowest rank..

Manjimaru found the Cedar Chestpiece.

Like an armour made of wood.

Equipping the lance, we receive +5 in attack power.

The wooden armour gives us 18 defence which is actually +3 compared to what we had there before (you can't see it here because I had to leave it in Inuyama to make room!). We're also missing our headgear, but we'll swing by Inuyama and pick that back up later.

We're almost done here...

Except, down on the first floor there is like an eel pond.

You can eat the fish to recover your strength. It has the same effect as resting at the inn.

All right, we're done here for now. Let's hop back to inuyama quickly to get our hat back--I will sell the equipment we replaced so we'll have space for them now. Manjimaru can hold a maximum of 6 pieces of equipment at one time (including the ones which are equipped) and there's usually no reason to keep the weaker equipment around.

After putting all our equipment back on, plus the new parts, here are our stats. Attack 64, Defence 56, Agility 64. Of course you can use these numbers to compare against the enemy stats that I've been posting.

While we're in Inuyama, we'll stop here by this shop.

Because they actually sell miso dumplings, which we were told we should bring as offering to the Jizo statue near Nagashino.

Therefore, next is to head back to Nagashino immediately (don't worry I've just been using the teleport spell for all of this!).

Let's go and look for that Jizo statue.

But of course the teleport leaves us just outside of a town, so as I make those two steps to get inside, we get interrupted. One of these we can mostly handle, but more than one would definitely be a problem.

They can also inflict the "acid" status on you which is not too awful, but it does persist after battle. Luckily I have a couple of those status healing items from last time, so I'll just use one. Manjimaru can also carry a maximum of 6 non-equipment items. You might be wondering, though, how is it even possible to do anything in the game with such small inventory limit. Well, two things. First, there is a place where you can temporarily store them. And second, and more importantly, this WILL get better once we have more party members--each party member actually gets their own separate inventory. So that means that the total number of "things" you can have on you is ultimately not too bad, other than the fact that you have to fiddle with the "give" command to move items back and forth depending on what you need to do. Oh, well.

Just a bit to the north and around the mountains, there is this cool place! Let's have a look.

We have found Mt. Akiba waterfall! Very nice. You can just about see the waterfall in the top left, but we'll check it out in a second! Incidentally Akiba (秋葉) means "autumn leaf".

As we were told, there is a Jizo statue right next to the waterfall, but first let's chat to that person there.

I came here to make my way through the mountains, but... I accidentally forgot to buy some miso dumplings. It seems that now I have to go all the way back to Inuyama, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Just in case you forgot, the game reminds you again.

Well, all right, let's see. Jizo
(地蔵) is basically a guardian deity of children and travellers. You will often find these child-like stone statues, pretty much looking just like the one you can see there on the screenshot. You might notice that the statue on the screenshot appears to be wearing a red bib. This is not accidental. Jizo being the protector of children, here the belief is that this garment will be provided to the children who have passed away. So you will often find these statues wearing red bibs and/or hats.

Anyway, however, we are here to make an offering to Jizo at this time. There is not a specific command for that in the game, but...

...you simply stand in front of the statue and select the "use" command for the item you wish to offer. In our case, of course, we'll offer miso dumplings.

Majimaru puts miso dumplings in front of Jizo as an offering.

It works out rather well:

So now we have, presumably, a path through the mountains!

Let's head in!

Inside, there's mostly one way to go. This cave does not have a special name. It's simply called "Mt. Akiba Cave".

We need to go deeper! As far as I know, there are actually no random encounters here, so it's totally safe.

For some reason, there is a hot spring here. As you probably guessed, it recovers your health.

Continuing east, there is a staircase up and a chest. The chest contains miso dumplings, so the game gives you immediately back the one you just used! It's just a health recovery item (about 40 HP). After this we take the staircase up.

On the upper floor, the same situation--a chest and a staircase (which you can just barely see to the right). The chest contains a "Wind Amulet", which is a single use fast travel item. So I guess if you are short on MP and can spare an item spot... this is for you. Anyway, up we go.

We've reached the other side of the cave, it seems. There is clearly a village just around the mountains there. Let's go visit it!

Obviously there are interruptions on the way.

But anyway...

...welcome to Fukushima village. Fukushima (福島) means "lucky island" or "blessed island", something like that. This is another small(ish) place, so let's see what the residents have to tell us! We can start with those two.

Before we realised, an ugly castle was built in the village. If you ask me, it really spoils the beauty of the place...
In this village, there is a Jizo statue with great spiritual power. When villagers have a wish, they ask him for help. So if there is something that you need, tell Jizo-san and you just might just receive his blessing.

Well, good to know! I'm sure we'll find a way to use it.

Let's continue with this gentleman here.

Have you met the Umbrella Rock Hermit who lives to the west of the village? He's quite popular, although his drawing skills are not up to par. Still he tries to push his bad drawings on everyone who visits.

On the east side is a Jizo statue and a woman.

It seems that monsters of the Root Clan are appearing more and more these days... even in the river! I was surprised the otherday when I came to wash my clothes. I looked up the river and there was a monster there eating a man. I was so scared, I don't dare to leave the village any more!

Let's continue here.

This is ridiculous, how that castle appeared. When I went to bed it wasn't there, but when I woke up the next morning it was suddenly there! This is very mysterious.

Or perhaps... somebody just wished for it on the Jizo statue?

Anyway, next...

...we go in this house.

If you go down the river on the east side of the village, you can reach the Benten Pagoda. But I've never been there. Benten Pagoda is for women only, men are not allowed there. Oh, I would really like to visit goddess Benten at least once!

Yeah, everything seems to point to Benten, but how would we go down the river? We don't exactly have a boat.

And here is the castle, on the east side, by the river. It does look a bit tacky. There seem to be two of those kids around.

I am a member of the council of elders! Isn't it amazing?
I am a member of the council of elders! I am very smart!

And then also the soldier-looking fellow.

My lord has not only fled from the Root Clan, but now he just sits in this unsightly castle. I've had enough. Tomorrow I will become a farmer and start growing vegetables!

So looks like this is where the lord of Nagashino ended up. Did he just literally wish on a Jizo statue somehow to get a castle? I mean, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something off about the way it looks. But anyway let's go inside...

...and talk to the lord.

I am the lord of Nagashino, but I've come here to Fukushima temporarily to recuperate. This castle has a certain unique character that others don't... like a certain stylistic beauty.
They say, "it will burn in a fire" or "it will be blown away in the wind"... sure, it has some flaws, but home is where you make it, you know?
Actually this castle was drawn by the Umbrella Rock Hermit, and made real by the power of Jizo. You're welcome to visit me any time. Would you like to become my servant?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Then by this act I make you a member of the council of elders!

Well, allright, now I see it, it really does look drawn, especially on the inside. However, an idea is starting to form in my head now. So let's see if it works.

Also why is he making everybody be a member of the council of elders?

In any case, it's time to go, but before that...

...I did foget one house.

I was playing in the woods the other day and... came across a Tengu's house! He was... he was... um, I think he was all the way to the west.

Well, all right, we'll check it out.

After leaving the village and heading all the way to the west...

...we find indeed what looks like a Tengu's hut! It seems to be the same one we've observed recently from the other side!

Huh, there are still today people existing with as much fire blood as you? So it hasn't all disappeared! It seems that after a thousand years the Fire Clan has come up with some quite good ones! I suppose you've been living among humans, so you don't know much about anything. So I'll tell you the most important thing.
Your real enemy aren't those bastards you're fighting now. I will tell you now the name. It's Yomi, their king. Or, I should say, their god. That is the real enemy. Don't forget that.
And now take my Demonic Fire scroll and learn how to use it! We're running out of time.

So from this guy, we get our basic fire spell. It's called "Demonic Fire" (鬼火) and deals a small amount of fire damage to one enemy. Manjimaru can hold up to 14 different scrolls at one time. The same mechanic applies with each character having their own inventory and the ability to pass them around... although, not everyone can use every spell, so something to keep in mind.

Let's head back towards Fukushima (east).

On the way there, there is this structure. So let's go inside.

I guess this is where the Umbrella Rock Hermit lives?

Ah, there he is, with the paintbrush in his hand! Don't worry about the chest, it's empty.

I am the Umbrella Rock Hermit! I'm very talented at playing the biwa, I guess you came to listen to me play?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Well, that's unfortunate, really. Benten asked for her biwa back so I gave it to her. But, don't worry, I can still do something for you, if you see what I mean.
[ Yes. ] / No.
When you took all this effort to come here, I'm not going to let you leave empty handed! Oh, that's right! I will draw you one of my famous drawings! Let me see...

Eventually...

There is some writing on this picture, here is what it means.

Left side:
傘岩仙人 ("Umbrella Rock Hermit")
Right side:
卍丸さん江 ("To Manjimaru-san")

So, I'm going to have to launch into of my typically long explanations here, feel free to skip this paragraph if you're not interested in the intricacies of Japanese language. Specifically the point is about the usage of the character there, which doesn't look like it belongs, and normally one would expect to see the particle instead in that spot in the meaning of "To...". However, as it turns out, our hermit friend simply wants to be more formal, and that means, of course, using more kanji, so he's using this kanji like a more formal/archaic/ancient version of the particle (because the pronunication is the same). You will see this sometimes, although I guess it's not super common. If he TRULY wanted to be really formal, then he could have also used the "official" formal version of さん (-san) and written the whole thing like this: 卍丸賛江 instead! I must admit I also had not encountered this kind of usage before seeing it here in the game, which prompted me to look up what this is all about.

Well, all right.

I don't think we're getting anything else from this guy. He clearly doesn't have the musical instrument, and this very crude drawing of a boat is all we're going to get. So let's head back to Fukushima, because I have an idea.

Here we go.

You know, I was thinking...

...about this Jizo statue here.

What if we were to offer it our drawing of a boat?

Surely it can't...

...possibly result...

...in us now having an actual boat we can use to travel around? I mean, that would be insane, right?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man that's actually loving cool.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...does the boat look like that on the overworld map too, because that's amazing

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

:allears: Oh, now THAT is really charming.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Both the castle and the boat rock, I love this.

I don't love the inventory space stuff, that looks terrible.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That is absolutely adorable. I feel like if it had been drawn better it wouldn't work, specifically because the Jizo is the guardian of children. It looks like a child's scribble, so of course the Jizo's cool with it.

(For that matter, both wishers are childish; Majimaru is a literal child and the so-called Lord is clearly a manchild. :p)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's still a better boat than I could draw...

And while I'm not a fan of eels, I can kind of see where someone might call them cute. They do have a goofy face and look kind of ugly-cute when they have their mouths open. Basically, if you're the type of person who finds snakes cute, you'd probably find eels cute too.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...does the boat look like that on the overworld map too, because that's amazing
Of course! It absolutely does!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't love the inventory space stuff, that looks terrible.
Yeah, I know. First of all, it's not so bad with more people, and second, it actually ends up having an interesting effect: unlike what happens in other JRPGs with bigger/unlimited inventory, in this game, basically NOTHING IS TOO GOOD TO USE! Because inventory space is so limited, you end up just using consumables when you need them, rather than hoarding them "in case a more difficult fight happens later".

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
So I think have an idea of what happened regarding that "conflicting information", though I'm wagering you and some others might have pieced it together by now.

The rumors that the old man had the awesome biwa and a dinky biwa are both true, it just so happens that they occured at different times. He at one point borrowed the awesome biwa, but had it taken back at some point. The old man, possibly missing the sweet biwa, made an offering to the statue, making his drawing of a biwa come to life(?), albeit questionable looking.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gilgamesh255 posted:

So I think have an idea of what happened regarding that "conflicting information", though I'm wagering you and some others might have pieced it together by now.

The rumors that the old man had the awesome biwa and a dinky biwa are both true, it just so happens that they occured at different times. He at one point borrowed the awesome biwa, but had it taken back at some point. The old man, possibly missing the sweet biwa, made an offering to the statue, making his drawing of a biwa come to life(?), albeit questionable looking.

I was expecting it to be a Indiana Jones and the Last Crusader moment where it turns out the dinky biwa was the legendary one and the awesome one was just a fancy newer biwa.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or they're the same biwa, people just think the old man's is worse because he can't play to save his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EchoBaz
Mar 21, 2022
This is really entertaining, please keep at it. Love let's plays of obscure story rich rpgs that I've never heard of, and will never play.