Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Absolutely loving this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So, last time when we left Manjimaru...

...he had just obtained a boat by simply wishing for it with a drawing on a Jizo statue. And so our boat looks just like the drawing, but it is, indeed, a fully functional boat!

We need it to do a couple of things here, but in order to save time, we'll quickly go somewhere else to pick up an item that we didn't get last time.

We'll head back east to that first hermit's cave here.

As you might recall, there was a chest behind him that we didn't look at. He's blocking it now, but we do the usual thing by going outside and then back in again like we did last time, then he will move and provide access to it. So, finally...

Ah, well, that's got to have something to do with Kabuki, I'm sure.

Anyway, now we can head back!

On the way back, we encounter still some new enemies we haven't met previously! But, truly, how many variations on skull, skeleton and bone can we have in the names of monsters? I mean it makes sense, but still!

All right, let's take the boat now.

Somebody asked about this, and yes indeed, the boat looks like this on the overworld too! In any case, our real destination is Benten's pagoda in the lake to the south, but we'll head north first. By the way, there are definitely random encounters while on a boat too. But there are no special water monsters or anything, just the same ones you find on the ground!

Gotta navigate around a bit here...

We'll continue by walking, but you can see our distantion already there nestled between the mountains. Yes, certainly...

...it's another Tengu's hut!

Ah, so you found this place, huh? I've heard rumours about you, so this is why I was worried, but it seems you're not as stupid as they say... So I can give you my scroll with relief.
I have been entrusted with the Winter Wind scroll. Of course, if it works on an enemy, then use it, otherwise don't. It's all a matter of luck, skill level, determination and spirit. But then again, that's the case for all scrolls, isn't it?

Manjimaru obtained the Winter Wind scroll.

The Winter Wind scroll (風花) does a small amount wind damage to one enemy.

As usual, we can talk to him some more.

Have you been to Benten's pagoda yet? As a man, you should go there at least once... for study.

That's all we can do here, so...

...now let's head south towards the lake!

Somehow, there are still more new enemies we encounter on the way!

Nembutsu (念仏) is a kind of a Buddhist chant.

This is a very bad combination. Those rattles hit like literal trucks. There's a good chance you might not survive this even with one level less! As it is, though, the Lightning Flash can just about one-shot the rattles so in the end we don't even get damaged!

All right, enough fooling around, let's go inside!

We get a nice close-up...

...as we slowly guide our boat to the dock!

That is quite a choice of music, indeed!

And here we are, in the pagoda of goddess Benten! Let's see what this person has to say.

Don't know who you are, but please save goddess Benten! The Root Clan has breached the pagoda! She is in her room on the third floor! They've already gone upstairs! Please hurry!

I probably don't need to say this, but there is no actual time limit. We can take our time. After playing Linda³, it feels a bit odd to not have to actually constantly keep watching the time as we traverse the world in this game!

There's actually more people here!

The key to that room was kept by goddess Benten and also the headman of Fukushima Village... I guess he must have been one of her summer flings. Ah, I'm not sure, try asking others.
The key to that room was kept by goddess Benten and also that Tengu... I guess he must have been her fling for last week. Ah, I'm not sure, try asking others.

And more!

The key to that room was kept by goddess Benten and also the lord of Inuyama... I guess he must have been her fling last month. Ah, I'm not sure, try asking others.

And more!

The key to that room was kept by goddess Benten and also that Snake Hermit... I guess he must have gone for lunch together. Ah, I'm not sure, try asking others. The key to goddess Benten's room is made to resemble an unexpected object, in order to make it difficult to recognise by strangers. Her hobby is cleaning her lovers' ears while they sit with their head in her lap. Oh, this is so important and I don't know who has the key!

Well, that's a bit more useful information finally. Also, it seems we already have the key and it was given to Snake Hermit by the goddess. Or alternately he stole it from Kabuki? We'll see.

The chests have two miso dumplings in them for healing.

We'll take the staircase on the other side.

Let's see...

Wow, ok. They are really not pulling any punches here, are they. Notice also a slightly different fight music when the game thinks it's going to a more difficult one!

Also, chests. One of them has a "return stone". As you can imagine this is an item that teleports you out of a dungeon. Especially usefull in some of them so you don't have to walk all the way back out. The other one has a rejuvenating tablet.

All right, let's go one more floor up.

Quite a bunch of chests there...

...but also a Dude who does not look even remotely friendly!

poo poo! I can't unlock this door! What a drag... Now I need to go look for it...
Huh? Wait, you're Manjimaru! How did you get here! I thought we sunk all the boats!

Heh heh.

Well, it doesn't matter. I was looking for you anyway!

Oh, hi boss! I was wondering when the last of these three will show up! And so here he is.

Surprisingly, this one is actually pretty easy compared to the last one.

His attack does look somewhat cool, he swings both of his swords at the same time:

Later in the fight when his HP is lower, he will start also to use this other thing: "Fanged King's forehead glows ominously",

But it only does a bit more damage than his normal attack, with no other effects.

So it's another situation like with the first miniboss (Horned King): as long you're above a certain level, it's just a matter of trading blows and healing. But if you're below that level, you're unlikely to be able to keep up with the damage. Anyway...

Yeah, I was going to. Just need to get the musical instrument from the goddess here.

And he's gone. But now, uh, remember that Dark Souls moment? You fight a boss (in that case Ornstein and Smough) and then you go upstairs and there's a big door...

And then you open the door (although in our case here, with the help of a key disguised as earpick, as expected).

And then, there's Gwynevere sprawled on a big sofa-bed-thing, right? Well, in our case it's not Gwynevere but Benten... but still, this game did it first!

Ah, I didn't expect it would be a boy! No offence, of course!
But, you're strong, boy... a bit too strong? No way... are you Fire Clan?

Sure thing!

The Root Clan is on the move again... another war has begun. Be careful, it's no good if you die, boy.
I think I have what you are looking for in my wardrobe over there. If you find anything else useful, please take it, even though it's not much.

Well, ok, let's have a look.

Her wardrobe is where all those chests were that we saw earlier.

Ah, there is is. And it totally blocks an item slot in your inventory! So did the earpick and the boat drawing, for that matter. By the way, you can actually get rid of the earpick now if you want. The other chests contain just some recovery consumables so nothing of note.

Let's go back over to Benten again.

Well... I can do this for you at least.

And she refreshes your HP/MP.

Remember, it's no good if you die!

Well, all right. We got what we came here for, so it's time to proceed with our journey.

On the way down, we can have again a bit of a chat with Benten's maids.

Are you the new owner of the key to Benten's room? You seem kinda young... Well, anyway, how was it?

Or these three here...

Thank you for saving goddess Benten!
Thank you, Master Manjimaru! Was she behaving herself? Uh, don't worry about why I'm asking you this.
Thank you very much! I don't know how to thank you for... saving Benten's honour. Let's just leave it at that. Firmly believing in this is what keeps us going.

So, we can take our boat and leave now.

For the time being, however, our journey will continue on foot, so we'll leave the boat here near Nagashino.

In actuality, we really don't have much choice now except to head towards the Demon Bone Castle and deal with it.

It's just a bit to the west. It also looks pretty cool if you ask me.

[DEMON BONE CASTLE]

Immediately, we're faced with a door. Of course, we use our magical musical instrument on it.

Manjimaru plucks at the Pure Land Biwa.

The Pure Land Biwa Disintegrates!

Well, we got the door open. Let's see what's inside, huh? And yes, that last bit means that the biwa is automatically removed from our inventory.

Oh, hey, somebody approaches us.

It seems that the three Grim Reaper Bros are just as eager as you, and they are rearing for revenge for losing against you! So I hope you all have fun! Incidentally the sword you're looking for is in the tower of this castle.
In fact, I have prepared the elevators for you to use to get there. They are shaped like a hand, so you can easily recognise them. Anyway, all you have to do is step on them and you can ride them!
Then, we'll see each other later!

What even is the agenda of these three sage jerks? I don't know, but we must press on. Trap or not, we need that sword.

Anyway, he goes away and we can proceed inside, finally.

Chests already, huh? They contain some healing consumables, which is certainly welcome.

And new enemies too! And our first pallete-swap in the form of Red Claw Marks! They are actually a fair bit stronger than their cousins, the Right Hands of Night!

I guess it's a good idea to be at least level 12 before entering the castle. You can probably get up to 13 during traversal, which is plenty enough for anything you can encounter here, including the boss fight(s).

Down here, we find our first elevator, and it is indeed in the shape of a hand!

You know what, that actually is pretty cool. Anyway, there are no stairs here. Just these freaky elevators.

On the next floor...

...more new enemies!

This guy seems to be able to frequently do crits on Manjimaru, which is bad. Crits more or less do double damage, similar to Final Fantasy games.

The game likes to troll you with empty chests, and so one of those is all you find here. The only way forward is back down the elevator and to find another route.

So let's try the left side.

Up we go!

So let's see here. That chest, by the way, is also empty.

Oh, hello. (The chest contains a sword which is the same as one we already have on us!)

So it's a rematch against the Horned King. But, his stats haven't changed and we're several levels stronger. Result: he dies in four hits. So I think the Grim Reaper bros might have miscalculated this one.

All right, let's be on our way.

But not for long, because...

...the next Grim Reaper brother (The Clawed King) is immediately on the next floor!

This battle, too, is same as before; due to us being a fair bit stronger, it goes by much easier. As there is no new dialogue or anything, I will not go into details.

Like I said, let's be on our way! We do find a couple of chests with healing items on the way, but I'm not going to bore you with that. However...

...we do encounter one new enemy! Is this the best enemy design so far? Yes. Yes, it is.

I just want to mention that "Bewitching Tiger" (or also "Demon Tiger") is not actually just a random thing--it's a concept really existing in folklore of East/Southeast Asian countries.

Anyway, the in-game version is a total chump, but gives a whole 4 exp.

I've said this before, but honestly, the enemy sprite design in this game is pretty fantastic all around.

As for these guys, they appear on the upper levels of the castle and have the highest HP of all random encounters here. But this is negated by low attack and very low agility, so... they aren't really a threat.

Anyway, going one floor up...

...we run into the final brother, The Fanged King.

Again, nothing hew to see here, so we'll just move on.

We're nearing the top of the castle, so in this chest the game helpfully provides us with a return stone. It's certainly a bit of a trek, so we'll be using that to exit once we're done here!

Another one of those kinds of parts (the chests contain ordinary consumables)...

Let's proceed up.

Here, two chests. One is empty, and the other one contains, somewhat randomly, 240 ryo.

Finally, we're met by another one of the sages!

Oh, and by the way, do you know what those three boxes behind me are? That's right! They are the coffins of the Grim Reaper Bros you managed to defeat!
I will now use said coffins to perform a basic magic trick on you! He he he he he he he! Make sure to give a round of applause afterwards!

Uh-oh. This sounds bad.

And then...

Indeed...

...a new body is reconstituted from their individual parts!

Manjimaru! Sorry, but you're not going to win this time!
Come over here, kid! I'm going to turn your body into mince!

So, this is actually our first "real" boss fight. All the ones before were classed as "mini-boss". Therefore, this is the first time we hear the actual boss fight theme music. Aaand it's pretty awesome, so definitely give it a listen. (Some bosses actually have a special music theme which are usually also pretty awesome so we'll check those out too when we get there).

As for the boss fight itself, like always with these three guys, since they don't have a huge amount of HP (don't worry there will be bosses with HP into tens of thousands), the matter is only about being able to keep up with the healing, while dealing damage otherwise. Manjimaru is currently level 13 and that seems to be a good spot where he can keep up, but also doesn't win in 2 hits either.

Officially the name of this boss is "Grim Reaper Shogun" and it has 200 HP, which is about on a par with its "components".

There are some funky attack animations here!

The Grim Reaper Shogun opens its chest! Intense light pierces the air!

The Grim Reaper Shogun's gigantic pincers aim for the prey!

I love how attacks don't have names but like full on elaborate descriptions!

But anyway, as long as you're on the level 12-13 and don't forget to heal every few turns, you're not likely to have a problem with this.

As you can see, his attack is about the same as the last of the bros, however his defence is much higher, so Manjimaru won't be doing huge damage at this level. So this might take a couple of minutes.

After defeat...

They all disappear. And in their place...

Well, don't know about you, but that looks like a holy sword to me! Let's pick it up! It certainly takes up space in your weapons inventory, so if you're full... well, you're going to have to ditch something! As mentioned, this will get easier soon when we have more than one party member as they can move things around between them.

And then a ghostly image fades into view!

It speaks to Manjimaru:

After my death, my soul possessed this holy sword, Housuin Benimaru!
I bestow you with "Benimaru Slash". It's a technique that can slash multiple enemies at once with your sword!
Come, Manjimaru! Take me to the base of the dark orchid in Takayama! With your power and mine combined, surely we can cut it down!

A victory pose for a good measure!

Manjimaru twirls the sword in the air, and you better believe that due to the optical illusion it definitely makes a swastika shape when he does that! Incidentally, in the PS2/GC remake, the number of swastikas in the game was reduced, and this is one that was removed--in the remake his sword looks simply like a straight line twirling around.

Incidentally, other than cutting down orchids, the holy sword is also a regular weapon that you can equip, but it's not really that strong (and is in fact weaker than we already have), so I guess it's just going to be taking up an inventory slot for now. Obviously, once the orchid is gone then we don't need it any more.

Oh, right, about that "Benimaru Slash". Turns out, other than magic spells, Manjimaru is also able to use "sword techniques" (kenpou/
剣法) which are I guess kind of like special skills. This is the first one we learn. We'll talk about that more when we try it out next time. But for now let me say that you learn the technique permanently, i.e. you do not need to have the holy sword equipped to use it.

In the meantime, as Benimaru said, it's time to leave. Having defeated the assassins, there are no more any random encounters here, so you can walk all the way back out easily. But it's kind of a trek, so you might as well use the return stone to teleport out instantly.

Outside...

...the Demon Bone Castle crumbles into dust, like it never existed!

Well, all right. As Benimaru said, let's head back to Takayama then.

Let's go inside.

We go straight for the orchid!

Manjimaru draws Benimaru's sword and closes his eyes! The holy sword is vibrating faintly!

The beat of Manjimaru's heart slowly begins to resonate with the vibrations of the sword!

NOW!

Well then, I guess that's one. Six more to go. I'm sure it won't always be this simple.

But for now, we can relax a bit and have a chat with the villagers to see what they all think of this!

Maybe let's start here with this person...

"No enemies will stand in my way!" Looking at you, I feel like I can do it to! From now on, when things get tough, I'll do my best by chanting 100 times that no enemies will stand in my way!

"No enemies will stand in my way!" Nice! That was very exciting! By the way, the roots that have been blocking the way towards Suzuka mountain pass in the west of the Owari province are gone! Please do your best, Manjimaru-san! The whole of Jipang is counting on you!

Well, maybe that's a destination we should check?

Hello lady!

I think that dark orchid was the reason why I was feeling so listless lately...

There is a couple more peopel here...

...in the village headman's house. Only two of them have something new to say.

Thank you! I'm so happy you showed up, Manjimaru-san, because you saved Takayama!
We can't use our old festival floats any more, but I'm sure we'll eventually have a bigger and better festival!

Well, okay. Let's head out. First we can make a quick trip beyond where the roots were.

By the way, since we've "defeated" the Root Clan in this part of Jipang, the game does a nice thing and there are of course no more any random encounters in these two provinces! A cool way to avoid boring the player with low level fights if they ever come back here. Now if we could only have a few more inventory slots... No? Ok.

It was about here, if I remember correctly.

Crossing the river to the east, we find another Tengu's hut! In fact one of the NPCs mentioned that he is not able any more to play go with the Tengu since the road is blocked. Well, not any more I guess.

So, you cut this dark orchid. But it's not just a huge flower, there's more to it than that.
During the day, that flower sucks up human sadness, anger, despair and other such intense emotions. And somehow it sends them to Yomi who is trying to wake up!
When the sun goes down, it's exactly the other way around. It breathes out Yomi's ki. It's a peculiar thing. It's like a stimulant for Root Clan. It's probably why the Root Clan fights in such a way... like they don't care about their lives at all.
Anyway, here's the "Heat Haze" scroll! Let's cut down the dark orchids and make Yomi start to panic! Hurry up!

Manjimaru obtained the "Heat Haze" scroll!

Well, we already know what this one does! The Heat Haze (陽炎) scroll lowers the hit accuracy of one enemy. As we've seen, the spell can also be cast for free simply by using the "Broken Halberd" weapon as an item in the battle.

All right, now that that's done, let's head to Inuyama. After all, we have a Kabuki to speak to.

So let's start with these two.

Kabuki Danjurou may have had a few quirks, but he was a great man! The sparkle in his eyes was different from the ordinary men. When he left town, he gave away all his money, saying that he owed everyone in town a favour.

So, he skipped town, huh? We'll se about that in a moment, but first let's talk to the lady.

So you recovered the holy sword, but did you cut down the dark orchid?
[ Yes. ] / No.
It seems there's also one blooming in Ise province... I guess they're done for.

Not if we have anything to say about it!

Another person over here.

Oh, Master Kabuki told me to tell you to hurry up and finish the dark orchid.

News travels a bit slow, I guess.

Accidentally, Manjimaru is getting a bit into the personal space of this lady here.

You're a true hero of the Root Clan to defeat the Demon Bone Castle like that! That's the big difference from that Kabuki who is all talk! Well, I guess he's all right since I made some money thanks to him.

Let's check out also this house.

Hey! Manjimaru-san, you defeated the Demon Bone Castle! You can look forward to a generous reward from the lord!

Really? We'll check that out.

Next, let's visit another house.

This is the old lady who told us about using the musical instrument to open the doors to the castle.

Master Manjimaru, I'm so sorry that this ended up for you alone to deal with. I have no idea what are Kabuki and the suppresion force of this town even doing.

Also this guy will reveal us the true nature of Kabuki's gesture...

That bastard Kabuki! He only threw money towards young girls! He can put wool over other people's eyes, but not mine!

Throwing money from the roof of the castle, that's what I expected of Master Kabuki. Only... where did he hide all this money until now?

We have more houses to visit.

I've underestimated you, Master Manjimaru. So I guess the 1000 ryo reward is yours then, right?

Next is this person here.

Everybody is thankful to you! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

This house is of course Kabuki's house, except the sign is gone.

Let's see what the girls have to say now.

Eh? Kabuki? Was there a person of that name? *kiss* ❤❤❤❤ Manjimaru-saaaaaan!
You brought down the Demon Bone castle all by yourself! *kiss* ❤❤❤❤ Manjimaru-saaaaaan!
*kiss* ❤❤❤❤ Manjimaru-saaaaaan!
Eh! N-no way! I am talking to my admired Master Manjimaru!

And then the last one...

*kiss* ❤❤❤❤ Manjimaru-saaaaaan! Manjimaru-san, do you want to ride on the palanquin?
[ Yes. ] / No.

I mean, of course we do.

And so, Manjimaru is taken on a ride around town, just like Kabuki used to be!

We definitely need to be looking for Kabuki, but before that...

...let's quickly visit the castle itself.

Oh! Master Manjimaru! Well done on defeating the Demon Bone castle! Thanks to you, this province has regained the peaceful existence and all of us soldiers can return to our regular jobs! Truly, thank you!

I heard there's a dark orchid growin in the Ise Province... You're going that way, Master Manjimaru, right?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Then let me give you a bit of advice. Go over the Suzuka pass and continue west until you reach Iga village, where Ninjas live. They should be able to give you a lot of information about the local situation.

That's actually good advice. At least we have a path forward.

On the second floor of the castle...

The roots of the dark orchid which were blocking the border to Ise province seem to have disappeared!

Yeah, we know!

And finally, the top floor where the lord is. First, we'll talk to the woman.

Oh, Kabuki-sama... Kabuki-sama... As if! Manjimaru-sama! Please keep doing your best!

And finally, the lord.

I am very proud of your work this time. Only... I already gave the prize monay to Master Kabuki! But, it's a lot of money, so I'm sure the two of you can figure out to split it between yourselves!

Oh. Now it's clear. Of COURSE he didn't give away his own money! I WILL KILL THIS GUY WHEN WE FIND HIM!

You know, he's almost certainly gone over towards Suzuka pass to make his way into Ise province before we get there. So let's follow in his tracks!

Checking the map...

...we can see that we can follow the road south from Inuyama (northwest corner) and then turn westwards at the junction there, leading to Ise (伊勢).

Here is that road junction leading west.

And here is the Suzuka pass, nestled in the mountains

Going through, things start to happen...

Oh, there's Kabuki. Let's see what has to say for himself!

That orchid was my personal bonsai! I was going to snip it off at some point when I had nothing else to do! And because you did it now all the women are completely in love with you instead!
I mean, I'm not going to be so stingy to ask you to give them back, but if we let things keep going as they are, people are going to start thinking you're some kind of a great guy or something.
But that would be absolutely unforgivable! so I have decided to come with you!

Oh, just shut up.

So, you'll be taking me along, yes?
Yes. / [ No. ]

You know what, no I won't. You're far too annoying to have around.

All right, let's go, Manjimaru! And try not to hold me back!
And don't even think of giving me orders! I'll do as I please!
Ahahahaha! Hahahahahaha! I'm just SOOOOO COOOOL! Ha! Ha! Ha! Hahahahahahaha!

Anyway, he finally comes down, and well, as they say, "moar party members!". So he finally joins the party and yes, you CAN give him orders in battle despite what he's claiming! He joins you no matter whether you say yes or no, but saying no gives a funnier dialogue.

All right then, so next time we'll start exploring the Ise province to see what goes on here.

I did say that this game is kind of a somewhat episodic "road trip" genre, so since the first "part" of our journey seems to be over, let's have a quick look at the map to get a better idea about the travels that we've done so far (I didn't include the backtracking):

(Click on the map to embiggen.)

It's too bad we had to leave our beautiful boat behind, but don't worry. This game has nothing if not quite some variety regarding the means of transport that the party ends up using to get around. So there's going to be lot more on that front. In general the game kind of starts slowly and pretty tame, but as you go through the game the insanity level just keeps rising and rising. You'll see.

In the meantime take care, and see you soon!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 31, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well that's certainly a first party member to gain.

I feel like this game is kind of interesting in that the moving-around graphics are so comparatively simple and then you have these awesomely detailed character headshots and enemy sprites, and the cutscene with the Dark Orchid.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think you mean Benten cleans ears, not eyes.

Apparently that's some kind of thing? Steambot Chronicles has it too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah... it's an entire thing in various SE Asia cultures.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My best guess is that it's supposed to be an expression of trust in the person doing the cleaning, considering your ears are both very important sensory organs and also extremely delicate and susceptible to trauma. I know I sure as hell wouldn't let just anyone near my ears.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Tallgeese posted:

I think you mean Benten cleans ears, not eyes.
Yes I did. I make typos in stupidest places. Fixed now, thanks.

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like this game is kind of interesting in that the moving-around graphics are so comparatively simple and then you have these awesomely detailed character headshots and enemy sprites, and the cutscene with the Dark Orchid.
I think the main limitation on the platform is I believe a max of 32 colours on the screen. But I agree, considering the technical limitations, the game looks actually pretty good. Even the simpler "world" graphics still look nice. And the enemy sprites are just awesome as you said, and there's tons of them as each part of the world has totally different monsters. Ah, the wonders of being able to use a CD ROM instead of a low capacity game cartridge! But it was a big deal at the time compared to NES/SNES and others. :v:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 31, 2022

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back! Last time, we finished the first "segment" of Manjimaru's journey by defeating the first dark orchid. We crossed the border at Suzuka Pass and ran into Kabuki who promptly decided to join our party.

So I guess let's get started with "segment" two.

Here we are. So let's start by talking to these four gentlemen in conical straw hats.

Ninjas live in weird houses... in order to protect themselves from enemies, they don't have front doors, so they get into the house in a different way.

Huh, well good to know. We DID hear about a village of ninjas somewhere around here, so I'm sure we'll run into it sooner or later.

West along the river is Iga, the village where ninjas live. They hide away from the world, but if they wanted to, they would be powerful enough to conquer Jipang. I'm sure they will take care of the Root Clan.

Well, maybe with our help they will.

Are you heading into the Ise province? I heard that a huge dark orchid flower has appeared. Also people say that some sort of creepy Jungle Castle has appeared too and the things are quite in an uproar.

Well, looks like that's probably our ultimate destination, then? We'll see. I'm sure there will be plenty of hiccups along the way.

It seems that dense forests are spreading in Ise faster than a fire buring an oiled piece of paper. If it continues like this, the whole province will be overrun soon!

There are a couple of houses here too. There's nothing interesting in the inn (the building on the right), but in the item shop (on the left) there are two people who have a interesting comment.

Young man, have you seen the people from the Fire Clan perhaps? The ninjas of Iga are desperately looking for them! They must be some important people when ninjas come out of the shadows to meet with them!
Ever since the dark orchid bloomed, pink tornados began to appear in the Ise province... After the tornado passes, the monsters from the Root Clan begin to spread.

Pink tornados? Whatever could that be.

Well, but ok, this is just a small settlement that serves as a border crossing, so that's all there is here. It seems to me we should go find that village of ninjas first! So let's leave the border crossing and head west!

Meanwhile, back in the villains' lair...

Ah, the three stooges, I mean sages. And we already know from the opening intro that the blue ball is meant to be the evil god Yomi!

Not only that, but now even a second hero from the Fire Clan, Kabuki Danjurou has joined him! However, although this Kabuki guy is quite handy with a weapon, he has a big weakness in his character!
When someone more flashy than himself appears, his head gets inflamed and he loses all sense of where he's going. So our next plan is to exploit this weakness!
Come forward, Kikugorou!

And then...

...a pink swirl shows up and after stopping it reveals another person. However, the new person says nothing, and Deloren continues to talk for a bit longer.

This person here is as flamboyant as Kabuki, and I have no doubt that in this way he'll be able to ensnare Kabuki in a trap.

So it seems that pink tornados may just be real. We've just seen one, after all.

Back to our heroes...

...were just about to head west. For Kabuki, I'm using the word "hero" very loosely. Although, before we continue, it's worthwhile to check out Kabuki's status and what he comes equipped with:

So, stats-wise, he's about the same as Manjimaru although with a good amount more HP (which is less helpful than you might thing: if Manjimaru dies, the battle is over, regardless of if other characters are alive).

He does also come fully equipped with a solitary sword as a weapon and a conincal hat and straw sandals we have already seen Manjimaru wear before. He is also wearing a travelling coat.

As for items he has a healing tablet and also (another?) earpick of love! So I guess he must have gotten it from Benten.

For magical spells (scrolls), he has: "glistening blade"
(氷刃) which is an ice based attack on one enemy; and also "flower storm" (花嵐), which is a wind based attack on one enemy.

He does also have a couple of special skills, although in his case it's not kenpou but simply "secret techniques". The first one is "foul language"
(悪態), which allows him to draw the enemy attacks to himself. The other one is "dramatic pose" (大見得), which allows him to decrease the defence of enemy groups which are at level lower than his current level.

So oeverall some pretty decent stuff here. And more importantly, it doubles the amount of our inventory slots! It's still not ideal, because the items are only available to the character physically holding them, but at least they can be transferred around when needed which is already miles better then what we've had so far.

All right, FINALLY, let's proceed west!

Of course, we're immediately accosted by monsters. This is another pallete swap, but actually there are not too many of them in the game.

As mentioned, we follow along the river, and soon we reach another village. This should be Iga, the ninja village, so let's head inside.

Upon entering, we're approached by three dudes...

...but then a pink tornado show up again!

Who is this guy, Kikugorou, was it?

It's again cutscene time! Don't miss this one as it's pretty funny actually!

This cannot possibly be who those three sages think is somehow going to be able to distract us from our goal. It cannot. He is ridiculous.

Anyway, let's put that aside for now, as we have a new village to explore, namely Iga (伊賀). So let's start with these guys here.

Oh no, our friends again... that Kikugorou! I'm sorry, but it seems even with our ninjutsu, we are not able to compete with him...
Our leader! Our leader has been kidnapped by Kikugorou!

We have two more people here...

The leader would always say that he had something he needed to give to the Fire Clan. Apparently whatever it is, it is necessary to use it to attack the Jungle Castle. Kikugorou must have kidnapped the leader in order to prevent the item from falling into Fire Clan's hands!
Master Manjimaru! If you want to save our leader, you should check out the lantern over there!

Well, ok. Looks like we know roughly what we need to do. (You can't actually see the lantern on the screenshot, but we'll get to that in a moment.

In the meantime, we'll continue talking to ninjas and other villagers. Like for example this lady who is standing directly in front of a house with a large sign saying "KIKUGOROU" (菊五郎).

Kikugorou is strong... too strong! No matter how much we tried to help the chief, it just ends up with more of us dead!

"Try jumping!"

Also here you can see the lantern down to the left of that house

Hello, sir.

Ever since that mysterious Jungle Castle appeared, the jungle has spread across the province like the sea. Now it's even scarier, because they are saying that the forest has started eating humans.

Hello, sir.

The dark orchid is blooming near the Ise Grand Shrine in the south. It's close to Matsuzaka town... I wonder how they are doing.

I'm sure we'll find it soon enough.

But now, let's go into that house with a big sign.

Damnation! That bastard Kikugorou put up that stupid sign on my roof! He's got an ugly face, and honestly his handwriting is just as lovely! Ugh!

Next, we stop here by the inn.

The chief is being held at the Negoro burial mound area in the west. However, that whole area is surrounded by deep moats on all sides, so I'm not sure how you would even approach it.
There is a strangely shaped rock near the Negoro burial mound... My shinobi sixth sense says that this rock is surely the key to enter that area.

Well, I'm sure we'll figure something out, like always.

One other house...

The lord of Matsuzaka castle sent 100 ninjas out to investigate the Jungle Castle... but only one of them returned, and even he seems to have become mad with fear. I wonder what on earth he had seen...
Ehehe hehe the forest is alive and it will eat you!

Now, about this lantern. It's actually super simple...

...you push it, and it opens a staircase! Of course we want to go inside, but first... let's do some equipment shuffle. Like items, equipment too only "belongs" to the person who is holding it and must be "given over" if another party member needs it. So, it's like this.

We'll give Manjimaru Kabuki's sword, for an extra +4 in attack power. Kabuki can take Manjimaru's current weapon (which has overall +21, so Kabuki loses 4 attack. Now let's head down the stairs.

But, as we get down...

[ Yes. ] / No.
I'll be back immediately, ok?

Kabuki goes away for a few seconds and then returns, without saying anything in particular. Wonder what this is all about.

Anyway, on the north side of this passage is a chest and a staircase. First the chest.

So we randomly get a magical scroll from this chest! Anyway, the "Fragrance of Treasure" (宝香) spell is a funky one. It allows you to know the number of chests in a dungeon or a cave. I guess then if you count them as you find them, you can know if you found them all or not. It only uses 1 MP, so you might as well check it at some point as you're going through.

Up the stairs we go!

And it's a secret house with no front door which is only accessed through the secret passage (as we've been told in Suzuka). Look a few screenshots up, and you will see what it looks like from the outside!

I have a request to make of you, Master Manjimaru of the Fire Clan who stands before me, having confidence in your strength and righteousness! The chief of our clan has been kidnapped by the Root Clan! Those who attempted to save him have been repelled at every turn and we have no other recourse but to seek your help, Master Manjimaru! Please save our chief!
[ Yes. ] / No.
I am indebted to you! Therefore please take this key with you! It's a special key, made by Ishikawa here in Iga, which can open all doors here in Isa province!

Manjimaru obtained Ishikawa's key!

Ah, well that sounds useful!

The other person:

Oh! The members of the Fire Clan! This is the house of our chief, but he is... The Root Clan is very strong. The enemies who roam the west side of our province are especially tough, so be careful if you go there. It's probably best to head southeast first and talk to the lord of Matsuzaka town, I think.

Well, let's go back and take the other staircase.

It leads, of course, to another house without a front door!

Not everyone can equip every piece of equipment, so be careful because things are expensive!

A random bit of tutorial, sure. But the other person here does actually sell equipment

The prices are getting a bit expensive though!

So, we'll buy "black clothes" for Manjimaru. Here you can see on the top right, next to the number 24, the game shows "卍カ", indicating that both Manjimaru and Kabuki can use this piece of equipment. So that's pretty straightforward.

After equipping it, it gives us another +6 in defence. We'll give Manjimaru's previous clothes over to Kabuki (which gives him +2) and sell his old stuff in turn.

All right, we're almost done here. Let's head back outside...

...where we can now see that on this central house, the big "Kikugorou" sign has now changed to "Kabuki" (カブキ). Uh, is that what he was doing when he disappeared for a short while?

We can go back inside to talk again to that woman who was complaining about the "Kikugorou" sign!

Kabuki-san! It's an honour to have your name written here as a Fire Brave! You're so good at what you do! It's hundreds, no, thousands of times more artistic that those scribbles of Kikugorou! Just looking at it gives me tears in my eyes. But... maybe it's a bit embarrassing? I wonder if I should erase it after all? No, I will not erease it!

So just a bit of fun dialogue for a bit here.

Well, then, it was suggested to us to make our way to Matsuzaka town, so let's do that. We'll head south across this bridge first.

And then we follow this road to the east. But things are starting to get weird already. We can start to see some of the forst "overgrowth" that we've been told about. Also, what is that weird platform doing there. Hmm.

Just a few more steps and we can see the town, too. Well, let's go in.

Welcome to Matsuzaka (松坂) town! And there is already a person welcoming us.

This town which was once teeming with worshippers coming to the Grand Shrine is now practically desolate because of the overgrown forest!

And this lady here.

I saw a pink tornado come into the village of Iga... I hope they're ok.

What a jerk is that Kikugorou! He dresses himself in fancy clothes like a woman, but is actually really strong! I saw it with my own eyes when fifty or sixty ninjas from Iga fell in front of him. He's strong, but very disagreeable. I doubt he has many friends.

Over on this side of the town, things look pretty bad with the overgrowth...

Uuugh... I got injured because a tree fell on my house...

Kikugorou's Jungle Castle is said to be in the shape of a giant tree, surrounded by a man-eating forest.

That sounds rather inviting if you ask me.

There is a bunch of people here around the castle itself...

One day the forest suddenly surged in like a tsunami, destroying half the town. It's only a matter of time before everything is swallowed. This town is done for...

And the kid...

When my friend was climbing a tree... he suddenly turned into a tree himself!

What is even going on here.

Two more people over here.

Ever since the strange forest exploded all the cows here that ate the grass have turned green! Even the milk is green and tases like vegetable juice, so no one wants to drink it.
Matsuzaka is a town which makes a living by selling it specialty beef. But now that the cows have turned green like this, it's disgusting and unprofitable. The way things are going, we can't earn money to put food on the table. I will die of hunger long before the forest kills me.

Let's also check out one of the houses.

According to an old legend, the province of Ise was once ruled by a gang of pirates called the Nine Devils. The story says that the pirates used to navigate their airships made of stone around Ise and transport their goods that way.

A stone airship, you say? Huh, that could be useful, if it actually can fly.

My grandpa is talking nonsense in his old age, now he's saying something about rocks flying in the sky!

Uh, but I would still like to have an airship...

In the hotel, we can always find other people who are staying in town...

A dark orchid bloomed at the Ise Grand Shrine, so everyone who came to visit was stranded in the town.
I can't leave this place because of the dark orchid...

We'll definitely also disturb the guy there who is trying to sleep...

The Nine Devils gang is said to have been based in what is now Shima village. Their descendants must still be living there, so if you want to find out more about the stone airship, why don't you pay them a visit?

It does look like this will have to be our next destination.

The next house.

Shortly after the appearance of the Jungle Castle, a pink tornado came to the vilalge and took many of the villagers with it. I've given up hope that they might still be alive...

And one more.

Are you going to the Negoro burial mound? It would be easy to get there if you had the stone airship of the Nine Devils... but that's just an old legend, so I wouldn't put any faith in it.

All right, let's go into the castle.

Looks pretty cool!

The Ise Grand Shrine is located south of here. The Shima village is further past that, but the road is cut off because of the dark orchid.
South in Shima village a man told me once when he was very drunk that he knows how to operate the stone airship... Perhaps you should go looking for him?
You shouldn't go to the Grand Shrine. It's swarming with the Root Clan there. Also there seems to be a strange barrier with confuses your sense of direction.

There are two chests here also, but one has a recovery item and the other... 2 ryo. Gee, thanks game. So we'll just head up the stairs.

The soldiers of this castle went into town to try and clear out the forest... but branches grew out like tentacles and dragged them all the way in and they were gone...

That chest there only has a head scarf, like the one Manjimaru used at the beginning of the game, so nothing to get excited about.

Two more people here.

Because the solders were eaten by the forest, there are not many people left in the castle. If we get attacked by the Root Clan, we're done for...
Many people have left the town because of the man-eating forest, so it's quite desolate here now. The lort was upset by this, so he asked the ninjas from Iga to go and investigate the Jungle Castle, but we're not sure what happened to them...

Going to the top floor, as usual allows us to talk to the lord of this castle.

We asked the people from Iga to investigate the Jungle Castle, but it seems that the ninjas who went there were wiped out. I have to leave the fate of Ise in your hands, the warriors from Fire Clan! Pass through the Grand Shrine and head for Shima. If the story about the stone airship is true, it may be possible to use this to reach the castle!

All right, we're done talking, but before we leave, let's just upgrade our equipment a bit more.

We'll buy these Hemp Sandals for Manjimaru, it gives him an increase in speed of +7 which is nothing to sneeze at. I'll rearrange the rest and sell the extra stuff to clear up space.

Anyway, let's continue with our journey. A suggestion was made to go south to Shima vilage, to see what we can do about the stone airship.

Of course, we get interrupted.

I guess they live on hills now?

As we've been told, we'll follow this road south.

Ah, there's the orchid. Just at the side of the Grand Shrine. Let's go in.

We're not going to worry about the orchid just now (but you can just about see it to the right. We just want to proceed south.

Also, notice those stones just under the entrance. Steping on them causes weird teleportation effects here, so you may have to go a bit back and forth until you make it to the other side.

Be careful too, because even though we're in a "town", there are still random encounters here. For example:

But for now, nothing we can't deal with.

There is actually a person inside the shrine!

If you want to get out of here, let me tell you how... Several barriers have been set up here to protect the main shrine against unscrupulous folk. If you step on one barrier, you will be transported to the other. So just be careful about that.

There we go. Let's keep going south. The biome is also starting to look more coastal like.

Here is Shima village! But also there's another one of those stone pedestal things. I think you may be getting an idea already.

This is a pretty small place, so let's explore it quickly first. Starting with the two people you see on the screen.

An airship? I guess you must be talking about the Nine Devils... but you're too late. The family lie died out last year since the last one of them died...
The stone airship was not built by humans. I mean, how could it have been? No, The Nine Devils took it from somewhere else. I don't know if it was a god or a demon or what, but The Nine Devils were just borrowing it.

We should also visit some of the houses too.

Floating down on the beach is the Nine Devils' pearl rafts. It was developed by them and is useful for cultivating pearls.
There is something shiny in the pearl raft. Daddy says it's just pearls that are shiny, but I think he's wrong. Something is hidden over there.

Hmm, ok, w'll take a look.

Damnation! Because of this nonsense with the forest, I can't go and sell the pearls! My business is doomed!
My dad recently just complains and doesn't want to play with me...

Outside more people on this side.

Huh? You're the kid who passed through the Grand Shrine. You must have courage if you're not afraid of the Root Clan.
I heard that the demons used to live in Jipan long ago. Based on their name, The Nine Devils must have been the last descendants of the demons. I mean, I don't see how they could have ruled all over Jipang without the power of a demon, right?

And a few more down on the beach.

The last of the Nine Devils was always looking around on the rafts here. Probably there is something important there.
There used to be a village called Akame to the west of the Jungle Castle, but we haven't heard from them since. My sister was getting married and now jungle has taken her away. I'm still hoping...

Let's go into the fancy house on the beach!

It seems like a long time ago, the ancestors of the Nine Devils helped some people move to Kii province. Apparenly as a reward, they received an airship made of stone. At least that's what my late father used to say.

Hm, well, it's pretty clear we need to find this airship.

Over here are some rafts/pontoons on the beach. But in order to access them, we have to go through that locked door there. Luckily, we have the universal key, so we can get into that little house. If you don't have it, you can't proceed here until you get it in one of the "secret" houses in the ninja village. The game does not use the key automatically if you do have it--you must select the use command with the right item yourself.

Inside the house, there is nothing of note.

It just lets us get over to this side. It may be hard to see, but those are fishing nets hanging off the rafts. Manjimaru can examine them, but usually this will happen.

Manjimaru pulled up the net... however, he found nothing.

But on one of them...

I guess I'm just surprised how nobody discovered it so far? I mean they are still fishing for pearls, right? I don't know.

After finding the flute, we can go again and talk to this older gentleman here.

Come to think of it, I now remember that the Nine Devils would go out and blow the flute while standing on the stone pedestal north of the village.

Yeah, sounds reasonable. We'll try that out in a second, but first...

...some more shopping over here.

We're going to splurge a bit on this Tidal Harpoon weapon for Manjimaru (as you can see on the right, Kabuki is not able to use this weapon anyway). We'll equip that on Manjimaru (it gives further +6 in attack power), which allows us to return Kabuki's old sword back to him and sell the not needed ones. This does of course involve fiddling back and forth with the two characters' inventories, as always. I'm also going to mostly stop mentioning the inventory management from now on. To be honest, it's the one thing which I would change in this game, but other than being annoying from time to time, it doesn't really significantly detract from the game overall.

All right, now...

...let's stand right here and use the flute.

And then...

Awesome...

...we got ourselves an airship, even if it is just one big rock. However, it's not quite so simple, as we can't actually control it directly. It simply goes from one of these "landing pads" to another in pre-determined order. So, riding the airship now, takes us first...

...takes us here, quite far northwest.

The airship then goes away, leaving us here. We can of course summon it again, but it won't simply go back where we came from, rather it will take the next "leg" of it's pre-determined route. But for now, let's see what's here.

Ah, nice, there's a town here.

But you probably want to be a little careful while walking towards it.

Namely, there are some quite strong enemies here which we with our current setup may not be able to handle very well. For example this guy. Mostly he will destroy you--our party can barely do any damage to the enemy, that is if we can even hit it. Spells work here better, but they have a bad hit rate against this guy.

So basically, save before setting off and then just hope you can walk into town without getting attacked. We have been warned about this by one of the NPCs earlier today, though. They are a few levels above us, but most importantly have high defence, which means we don't do a lot of damage.

Anyway, this town here is Nara
(奈良), so let's take a look and see what's up.

It has a nice stone path dividing it into two halves. So let's do our usual tour and information gathering.

We'll start on the left side with these four people here.

The jungle is spreading out to the west. Unfortunately the village of Akame probably no longer exists any more...
I came from Akame village, but I can't go home because dense forest now blocks the way...

We'll be sure to check that out!

There is like a stone platform a bit to the south. I once saw a man playing the flute there... And then a strange thing appeared and picked up the man and flew to the east. I was quite surprised to see it!
The Jungle castle is located in the centre of the province... It's a giant tree surrounded by water and forest.

Yeah, I guess we still have some figuring out to do about how to get there.

Next, let's check out these two houses.

The other day, when I was digging in my garden, I found some old parts for a mechanical doll... Perhaps one of my ancestors was a mechanical doll craftsman?

I should mention that we're talking here very specifically about karakuri mechanical dolls (からくり), which were an actual thing in Japan mostly from the 1600s until the 1800s, althogh there are references to them existing as early as the 650s.

Also, pay no mind to this, I'm sure it will never come up again.

Let's see what the kid has to say.

My dad thinks too small. It's more likely that there was an advanced ancient city on this land in the past.

Like I said, pay no attention to this at all.

The roots of the dark orchid block the road south of here. You used to be able to cross the Ikoma pass into Naniwa province through there, but now we're all stuck here.

Let's see what's in here!

Hmm, nobody here. Just some stuff including a big mirror. Well, nothing to do but to continue exploring I guess.

We'll head into this house here.

There's a guy here not feeling so great.

It's dangerous as the forest spreads more every day. I can't stay here any more... I was thinking of heading to the capital, but the road is blocked by roots. So the only thing left is to stay here and wait to die.

Let's check the other side of the town.

When you equip a cursed item, don't be foolish enough to try to figure out what kind of curse it is. It's just best to stay at an inn to recover and remove that piece of equipment first. Actually a curse whose effect is unknown is probably worse than the one with a known bad effect!

Cursed equipment, you say? Sure, let's be on a lookout for those too.

Let's also talk to this older gentleman here.

You saw that strange building next to the village, right? It's been there for ages, but nobody knows what it is. We call it "The Odd House". There was talk of demolishing it, but it seems it couldn't be done with human power.

Interesting.

There are a few more houses on this side, so let's visit them.

In the past, there used to be four bronze bells in the Odd House nearby. But it seems at some point they got stolen from there.

As for the bells, we're talking specifically about doutaku (銅鐸):

Not sure why, but I'm having a feeling we'll need to find them and bring them back at some point. Just a feeling.

The Nine Devils used to fly in the sky on their stone airship! You could go anywhere with it! If you fly, you can even escape the dense forest and reach the Kii province!
How to enter the Negoro burial mound? I have no idea. But, try going to Matsuzaka. There are many people who come there to visit the Ise Grand Shrine there, so you may hear something.

Then we have these tree here in a row, although you can barely see the ones on left and right side!

We can only pray here now... in hopes that a hero will appear who will defeat the demons and blow away the darkness...

Yeah, I have some news on that topic.

Day and night, I pray to god to destroy the jungle castle. But it is all in vain, the castle grows stronger every day... are my prayes not being heard?

If it continues like this, the entire province will be swallowed up by the jungle... Someone has to do something...

That's about it for here for the moment. Let's make our way back to the airship "landing pad" and see where it takes us next.

Obviously, it doesn't go quite so easily!

I don't even know what to say about this name, but it's quite unambiguous in Japanese. Their attack is described literally as "rushing at you with their horns", so... In any case they definitely fall under "tough" category, and we can't do much to them at our level.

There are also these guys.

Tough also, but when only one, kind of doable with fire magic. As you can see, the enemies have abandoned the "skeleton" theme and are now more "nature" themed.

Really game? But actually this is not as bad as it looks as Twinheads will anyway die all in first turn from a multi target spell, so.

Anyway, our next trip on the stone airship takes us back east...

...to this place, which we've already seen. But we don't need to stop here, so we'll call the airship again.

Now we are going southwest, past the place where the Jungle castle is, unreachable as yet.

All right, let's see what is here.

Well, first of all some enemies!

This is almost like Dark Souls boss name!

Well, first of all, there is a place here.

It's called Owase village. Let's again have a chat with the people.

Today, there are not many people here, but before Owase village was a key trade link between Ise province in the north and Kii province in the south.

The ninja guy standing on the left, has a bit more to say.

Master Manjimaru! I am one of the ninjas from Iga... the head of our clan is till being held captive by the Root Clan. Since you already have the stone airship, it should be a simple matter to infiltrate the Nagoro burial mound where he is being held. Negoro is west of Iga village, if you use the airhsip you will definitely, definitely be able to reach it.
Although if you want to go south to Kii province first, I guess I won't stop you...

Hmm. Are you hinting?

We have two more people down here.

There's a big valley in the mountains all the way down south, my hunter friends call it The Valley of Sorrow. There are many spooky stories how you can hear crying voices and see shadowy figures at night there.

The other guy just reminds you about using the flute.

Hello there.

If you go far south, you will find The Valley of Sorrows which is like a big crevice in the land. There is a basket which can be used to cross it, called "The Wild Monkey". But be careful, since I've heard it falls down often.

That does not sound safe at all.

Let's check out a few houses here also, since the people here seem to have interesting stuff to say, apparently.

I don't think I want to be a lumberjack again! I saw something terrible in he woods the other day. I put my axe into the tree like always, but the tree started bleeding bright red! I looked up... and I could see the face of my lumberjack friend in the tree!

Tree people!

Are you fighting against the root clan? I can't really help you that much, but still, although I don't want to think about that, if you get seriously injured, I will take care of you at least.
A long time ago, a clan with advanced technology moved into this area from somewhere... After teaching the basics of shipbuilding and architecture, they somehow mysteriously disappeared without a trace.

Were they also good at building mechanical dolls?

The Kii province is largely mountainous, so most of the towns and villages are on the narrow strip along the coast. First timers often get lost there, so make sure to use the map! That's the thing!

It must be a year ago now... Three shifty eyed guys were here asking all sorts of weird questions. I also heard them talking about going to the capital and obtain an easy to use puppet. So I guess in the end they must have been puppeteers or something?

Or sages? Perhaps. We'll see.

Going into the temple, unfortunately, he just repeats the hint about using the map, so...

Our information gathering finished, we can now leave this place. First we have a quick detour to do here to the west.

But of course.

These guys are not so bad, though. Only take two hits.

However, tucked in between the mountains over here is another Tengu's cabin!

Those bastards... How dare they use the dark orchids to close our borders! They are the ones who brough the Root Clan into the world, even though they were supposed to be sealed off! It seems they are tough and quite clever... Be careful, Manjimaru. Don't over estimate your power, but hurry up and become the full-fledged Fire Brave. I can give you here the "Moonlight Sleep" scroll. It's a good technique, but it uses a lot of MP!

Manjimaru obtained the "Moonlight Sleep" scroll.

The Moonlight Sleep (月寝) scroll has a chance to put one smaller animal type enemy to sleep. Pretty unsurprising, considering the name! It does use a whole 8 MP, so I guess that counts as a "lot".

Let's head a bit north.

We pass by another one of the landing pads and there is also another place here, although it looks a bit worse for wear with that forest.

Turns out this is the Akame village that everybody was talking about not knowing what happened to it. The place is basically gone except that one house. And those two slightly weird looking trees. Let's approach one of them...

Aaaaa! It's a tree person!

Nnngh... This pain... Little by little... my human... memories... are fading...
One more time... One more time... let me hold... my child...

Well, that's bad. Let's have a look at the other tree.

That's definitely bad. Let's see if we can find some way to save them both! Not now, however!

Next time we'll continue our exploration of this part of the world, and let's see what we can do to solve its (multiple) problems.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess this kind of setting always has super technological lost civilizations and airships, huh?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh, uh, that got a bit darker at the end than I was expecting. :gonk:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Well, our companion may be somewhat of a jackass, but I'll take him over a certain...old man...from one of LJN's lp's. Seriously, screw that creep.

The old man, not LJN; LJN (as far as I know) is a swell guy.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Well, our companion may be somewhat of a jackass, but I'll take him over a certain...old man...from one of LJN's lp's. Seriously, screw that creep.

The old man, not LJN; LJN (as far as I know) is a swell guy.

Well poo poo, never thought I'd see the day I would get personally referenced in a completely unrelated LP I'm reading.

For context, Gilgamesh is talking about...ugh, Plosi from Ephemeral Fantasia, whose most notable moment was committing a "funny" act of sexual assault on a female party member you brought him.

Definitely worse than Kabuki.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So glad to see this game is perfectly normal as well.

E: Also, I'd managed to forget about Plosi, mostly cause I pretty much never tolerated his presence. But I loved that awful game...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Raitzeno posted:

So glad to see this game is perfectly normal as well.

I can definitely assure you that as we progress through the game it will only become more and more normal! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to mention that this coming update will be a few days delayed--I managed to catch a virus of some kind (not COVID) and was out of action last week. Luckily, everything is good again now, so I should be able to proceed as normal.

Sorry about that!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glad you're feeling better, take all the time you need.

EchoBaz
Mar 21, 2022
Hope you recover soon, as I'm loving this let's play. Eager to see more!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

EchoBaz posted:

Hope you recover soon, as I'm loving this let's play. Eager to see more!

Thanks, yeah I'm fine now, it was just a pretty nasty flu (definitely not COVID according to the doctor!). We're back on track and the next update is coming tomorrow! Sorry about the delay! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hello! Last time we started the second part of our adventure, in order to obtain the second holy sword and defeat the second dark orchid etc. Anyway, we found out that in the Ise province there are some problems. Like, the head of the ninja village is missing; or, there seems to be a forest overrunning everything, even turning some people into trees!

So this is kind of where we stopped last time after talking to the two tree-people.

However, we should also check out that little house, since there is one still accessible that hasn't been consumed by the forest!

Ah, a chest.

Manjimaru found a Wild Dog Helmet!

However silly it sounds...

...it still gives us +6 in defence. And we know that in this area where we are now we can use all defence we can get!

In any case, there's nothing else to do here for now, so we can leave.

Let's just summon the airship again and see where it will take us this time!

Well, that's convenient. This must be the Negoro burial mound, where the ninja chieftain is being held. It is surrounded by a moat, but that poses no problem for our airship made of stone!

Let's head inside!

I guess we'll be heading downstairs. But before that...

...we get interrupted! Things are definitely getting somewhat bizarre with enemies in this are, that's for sure.

Although these enemies are not too hard, the goldfishman has an ability "Winter Wither" (冬枯) which takes down your defence by a few points! Still, this is not too bad, compared to some of the guys we encountered last time! Anyway, downstairs it is.

Downstairs, we have ourselves a bit of a maze. (And a chest too. It's empty)

But, more importantly, doesn't that look like a katakana letter
(I) there on the floor? I mean, it's a bit hard to see due to the choice of colours, and also it's upside down, yes, but still!

Yep, the floors definitely have katakana letters on them, this one is (HA). Well, let's pay attention to that as we proceed around this floor.

This chest contains 180 ryo, and also the letter (NI) on the floor.

Not going to show every single one of them (we'll see it all zoomed out later), but here are also (RA) and (E). Definitely still no idea what this could mean.

More chests. One of them has another broken halberd, and the other has an item called "the storm talisman". We've seen before an item called "the wind talisman", which allowed us fast travel within the current province. So "the storm talisman" is the same, but you can travel anywhere in the world. Like the first one, this one too has a corresponding spell that we can learn, but we haven't found it yet.

As you might have gathered by now, this game doesn't mind trolling you with chests which are either empty or kind of useless. Such is this one, too, as it only contains 12 ryo. Also, katakana (TO).

Eventually at the very top of the dungeon, we come to this situation. There is a passage which is blocked by some kind of electrical barrier. But there is a keypad to the right of it, so let's see what happens if we try to use it.

Ah, well, I was wondering when we'll come to this.

But what is the password? I mean, we can assume that it probably has to do something with the katakana letters on the floor (since this screen also allows us to enter a bunch of katakana letters as password.

Surprisingly, this is a bit harder than you might expect. First of all, let's have a look at the map of the whole floor:

The letters are all upside down, but don't worry about that for now. In the top left corner, we can definitely see a cluster of letters which can spell the name Kikugorou (キクゴロウ), him being the narcissist that he is, of course the password must have something to do directly with him. But typing just his name like this as password, doesn't work.

What else, then? The only other hint we have is that he told us how we would be saying words of praise for him before we meet again. So then, we might look if it's possible to spell some kind of phrase like that which includes also his name? It turns out that this is possible to do, but there's also an extra bit which might help during the solving. The correct solution also represents the shortest path between the bottom right and top left corners. No, there are absolutely no hints on this topic in the game, you're supposed to work it out yourself.

Anyway, if we make the shortest path, it looks like this:

Now all we need to do is read the letters in order: キクゴロウエライ, or as written properly with kanji: 菊五郎偉い, or finally in English: "Kikugorou the great". So in order to pass through the doors, we are forced to type the words of praise for Kikugorou, as he already promised us. How annoying. Either way, as you can see, this was not super easy, but in the end, typing the katakana version in the the prompt, the barrier is removed and we can proceed.

Now the layout gets more complicated, because we're no longer limited to one floor, so we may have to go up and down

We can head down for a second...

...but the only thing there is a barrier which, this time, does not have a keypad to enter the password on. So we have to go back up. There, after a short walk...

...we find another passworded barrier!

We are definitely being trolled here. However, there's no choice but to type in the password again. And yes, you do actually have to type it in manually again.

Continuing on, this gives us access to the staircase here which leads further down.

Let's see what's on this floor.

This chest here has a return stone. The game is always nice to give us one so we can quickly exit the dungeon. Although in this case you may want to hold off a bit at the end before using it. We'll come to that part in a bit.

Over here, we can find a rejuvenating tablet in the chest. As you might recall, it recovers our MP and will be useful to have in this dungeon as we'll soon see.

Then we head back up!

Shortly after, we find the next barrier!

Seriously.

It leads us to a hallway...

...which simply leads to the next one.

Yep, gotta say it again.

Anyway, as we walk through...

...we actually encounter a new enemy!

This dungeon seems to be mostly populated by two kinds of goldfish otherwise. In the Japanese text the "teacher" is explicitly female, but well, this is difficult to convey into English since it doesn't really have a word that means "female teacher". Her attack is to "crack the whip" at you, but otherwise mostly unremarkable. Here Kabuki levels up and learns a new "secret technique" of "flying kick" (tobi-geri, 飛び蹴り). It deals double normal damage, but at the cost of reduced hit rate.

Let's continue.

We simply continue to the next barrier. But take note of those chests there. They are beind a barrier which doesn't have a keypad. This one here, however, does! Let the trolling continue!

And then...

...another barrier. But this one at least lets us proceed deeper.

These password prompts are getting more and more sinister. Nevertheless, the password doesn't change.

Downstairs, we finally find an imprisoned person, the ninja village chieftain! We can of course talk to him.

I made a big mistake and even after a lifetime of being a ninja, somehow allowed myself to get kidnapped.
I thought for a while of ending my life right here, but... I have something I would very much like to give you, so I have continued to live in shame while imprisoned here.
This Kikugorou of the Root Clan, who kidnapped me, is further in. Please do what you can to defeat that jerk and give me the release from my shame.

Don't worry, we're not far now, this dungeon is almost over. By the way, in case I haven't made it clear... there are absolutely NO save points in dungeons or anywhere else in the overworld. The ONLY place to save is at an inn inside a town! So when you are playing this without the benefit of save states on an emulator, it can get quite dicey sometimes.

Anyway, we need to walk just a bit more, until...

Huh. Cool.

But over to the left, are Kikugorou and... a flower person? I guess? Let's see.

Did you figure it out, "Kikugorou the great"?
Even if you're dumb as rocks, you must have been able to figure that one out, right? "Kikugorou the great," ah, it just sounds so beautiful!
But, now, let me introduce my dear friend, whom I brought here today especially for you! The ultimate flower-loving romantic: Hanafubuki Noriyoshi-kun! Please look forward to it!

Incidentally, "hanafubuki" (花吹雪) means "falling cherry blossoms". However, we have no time for that, as we transition directly into our next mini-boss fight.

Indeed, it's literally an evil flower person!

Like some other enemies around these parts, defence is pretty high, so physical attacks won't work so well. It's better to use magic/skills. Kabuki's ice blade deals pretty good damage, but it's hit rate is abysmal, so probably not worth it. But, both his flower storm and Manjimaru's demonic fire deal about 20-25 damage each time, so considering that the HP is only 250, we should be relatively ok. Damage dealt to us is also about 20-25 HP or so, so you might want to keep an eye on your HP and heal as needed. The only issue you might encounter here is running out of MP, so make sure to bring a couple of recovery items for that. At low HP, he may use a healing ability, but curiously, it didn't happen to me.

Anyway, after defeating him, they both go away, but also...

...all the barriers are now unlocked, including those without keypads. Also, the ninja chief comes to talk to us once more.

Please make your way to Iga village as I have there some items that I wish to hand over to you!
Excuse me for leaving in a rush like this.

And he goes away.

So we are done with this dungeon, and we could use the return stone... but now with barriers being open there are a few more items to be found. Like for example in that chest you can barely see in the alcove. It only contains a healing consumable item though.

Or this location here, which we walked past earlier. One of the chests is empty, but the second one contains the "Ninja Sword of Iga", a weapon.

We can give it to Kabuki for a +2 in attack power. Not much, but hey.

In an ultimate troll from the game, the third chest is also empty. So with this, now we can really use the return stone and leave this place.

And from here, we can simply use the Angel's Raiment spell to teleport back to Iga.

Over in Iga, we can see that Kikugorou has again changed the sign back to his name, but this time it's more colourful than previously!

As always, we can talk to the lady inside!

That rotten bastard! There's no need to deface people's houses like that! I'd rather have pigeon droppings on the roof than the name of that slimeball!

Since we need to go to chiefs house, we'll just activate the staircase like before. But, downstairs...

And like before, he returns quickly. We'll obvously see later what he did with the sign again! In the meantime let's proceed to the chief's house.

Let's see what he has to say.

What I wanted to ask you is, have you heard about the village of Ihika? It's located in the big fissure in the Earth, called the Valley of Sorrow. It's down in the Kii province.

We've already heard about this last time. Apparently there is a somewhat unsafe gondola which allows you to cross the valley.

When I was on some business in Kii, I accidentally managed to fall down in the valley and got myself injured. I was saved by the people from Ihika.
The Ihikans are not actually human. But despite their unusual appearance, their scientific knowledge is far beyond human understanding. If you meet them, I'm sure they can help you to reach the Jungle Castle.
And now, I would like to present to each of you a gift of thanks.
Master Manjimaru, this is an item you will need in order to be able to enter the village of Ihika. Please take it.

Manjimaru obtained the Ring of Sorrow!

And to you, I give the Seal of Transformation, an item which has been handed down over generations in Iga. Please use it well.

Kabuki obtained the Seal of Transformation!

Huh, you're not going to tell us what this one is for, are you? Well, all I know is that it takes up an inventory slot.

And, there's one other request I would like to make. My granddaughters insist on helping you on your journey. They're a little peculiar, but their technique is among the best in Iga, so they will not be a hindrance to you.
They're not here at the moment because the Root Clan is looking for them, but a messenger has come to get in touch. I'm sure they'll meet up with you in due course. I would ask you to give them your kind guidance upon such occasion.

Well. That village of Ihika certainly sounds like an interesting place to visit, so we'll be heading there shortly. But first, let's visit the other house without a door.

Over here, we have a shop.

We'll buy an Iron Hachigane for 360 ryo. What is a "hachigane"? It's a kind of a helmet, like this one:

We'll equip this on Kabuki for a +3 in defence compared to the straw hat.

Coming back outside...

...we can see that Kabuki has put up another even flashier sign with his name again. This one is flashing and changing colours!

Obviously, the lady inside the house has a comment to this.

I'm so happy to be able to worship Kabuki-san's name every da! Hurrah! Hurrah!

And that, thankfully, is the end of that little side-joke and we can focus back on our task! But before that, a few people in this village have a bit to say after us having saved the chief.

Like this person here.

A ninja will definitely return the grudge they'd received, but a ninja will also return the favour. From now on, the chief will protect you at the cost of his life!

Or that other ninja there in the corner.

Even if the chief is saved, we can't rest easy as long as Kikugorou is alive! Also, I hear that there is a Tengu living in the mountains in the south-west of this province. Not to mention, four different Tengus down in Kii province.

We've already picked up the spell from the Ise Tengu last time, and as for the others, in due course. Also, it's been mentioned now a few times, but despite its slightly unusual name, Kii (紀伊) was a historical province in Japan, located around where modern-day Wakayama is.

And then this one here, tending the garden.

You're still so young and yet... you came back safe from Negoro burial mound. Does the fire clan have some kind of a terrifying latent power?

Um, yeah, kinda.

And then, finally, this person here.

I've heard that Wakayama castle in Kii province has fallen into Kikugorou's hands. Please be careful when you go there!

As mentioned, Wakayama in real life is located where Kii province used to be, so this fits.

All right, it's time to head south. For this, we'll use the border crossing at Owase village.

Simply walk through...

...and here we are in Kii.

Checking the map, we can see that indeed it mostly consists of mountains apart from a small coastal strip of land on the south. Our first destination, however, is the Valley of Sorrow, which is that big area slightly to the south of the province centre.

Luckily, there is a road we can easily follow to there.

Walking around leads, of course, to random encounters! As you can see, the enemy theme is still "nature".

Or even more!

The enemy designs are kind of getting a bit out there... Also, why does everything hit so hard here?

After a short while longer, we find what looks like a gondola going across a big hole. That's not a lake, just an unfortunate choice of colour. Let's read that road sign, though.

Valley of Sorrow

A series of falling accidents--danger of death! Do not cross the valley!

Unfortunately, we're going to have to do exactly that. But as we make a step towards the gondola...

Leafy! A bit tougher than those petals earlier, but still unlikely to kill you.

And then a couple more steps after that...

Somehow RNG is really not on our side for these few steps. It's not normally this bad, but right now...

Despite the name, this new enemy is pretty strong and might give trouble at our current level. Kabuki's ice blade does wonders though... if it can hit!

Aynway, as I was saying...

...let's get on the gondola!

And it ends up exactly like you think it will. I mean, we've been warned.

But no matter. Because this is pretty much where we wanted to go--the Valley of Sorrow! We can already see a few interesting things here. There is a (not Jizo) statue and also some kind of mechanical contraption to the left of it.

Examining the statue...

It's a grotesque stone statue. It's holding one of its fingers out.

It's holding a finger out? Well, compared to the Kikugorou riddle, this one is super easy. We already have the Ring of Sorrow. So let's just put it on the statue's finger. I mean, what can possibly happen?

Well, thre is a flash of light, and then...

...a structure materialises that we can enter into it seems. So, uh, let's?

Ahh. Looks like this is what we were looking for! Welcome to Ihika village, everyone! Well all right, let's talk to these two people here and see what's up--they are pretty clearly not human, exactly as we were told. (For a certain definition of human, of course.)

The gleam in your fire-like eyes! You are of the Fire Clan! At last! At last you have come! It's been a thousand years since that abominable war... But finally they day has come when we can return to the land of the light!
We in Ihika are also of the Root Clan, so there is no other possibility than to get killed by the Fire Clan. Nevertheless, we have been waiting for you for a thousand years. Only the Fire Clan can break our cursed fate.

Well, that's dark. But for now, we'll take that elevator there and descend into the maim part of the "village".

Let's continue to explore.

We are descendants of scholars who fled the Root Country during the war a thousand years ago. In order to kill humans, birds, beasts, mermaids, ogres, and especially the Fire Clan, our ancestors created many techniques and mechanical soldiers, and even were able to slightly alter the bodies of their comrades, to give them a slight advantage in the war. But they were uneasy about aiding the war effort, so they ultimately fled the Root Country and settled here. Since them, for one millennium we have lived here in the valley, out of sight and out of mind, so that our technology could not be misused. Never leave the valley... that's the Ihika rule!

Well, thank you, Mr. Exposition. But it at least clears up a few things (while raising still more questions in turn).

Going forward, we encounter two chests and another person (who looks important). There is also what looks like a computer console just barely visible up top. Well, let's start with the chests.

We're talking about a very specific kind of celestial being, "tenjin" (天人), one of whose abilities to be able to fly though the sky by using a special necklace. As you can imagine, this scroll allows us to teleport anywhere we've been before in the entire world (not just in the current province) and is the equivalent of the item we found earlier today. So that's pretty cool.

And then the other chest...

I'm sorry, what? No, I have no idea what that's for.

But let's talk to this guy.

Kumana, our ancestor, said that when the Root Clan reappears, the Titan of Ihika will stand.
The Titan of Ihika will surely help us to capture the Jungle Castle. Therefore, Master Manjimaru, please look for it!
It is said that the titan is sealed deep underground by the four bronze bells. However, we do not know where either the bells or the titan are located. You might be able to find something at the altar of Kumana. So please check it out.

Things are really getting complicated. We already have a few things going on.

All right, let's make a tour, as usual.

The prophecy left by our ancestor Kumana said, "When the Fire Clan descends to this land and the Titan of Ihika stands, we will see the light again". Thanks to this prophecy we were able to stay here for a thousand years.

Our ancestors hid the weapons they took with them when they fled the Root Country. Perhaps the Titan of Ihika is one of those weapons? If the mechanical weapons said to have been created by Ihika's ancestors are a thing, then the Jungle Castle would be nothing to them!

As you can see, there is also a side room to the right, so let's check that out.

As a matter of fact, Daeron and the other two sages were not the first people to break the Ihika rule. Three years ago a man named Toki claimed that he was going to revive Masakado, the demon clan, but then he disappeared.
When Daeron and the other two left the valley, we were convinced of the imminent revival of the Root Clan. So in order to fight them, we had to find the Fire Clan--we asked Momochi Tanba from the Iga village to look for them. He fulfilled our expectations! The Fire Braves have now visited our valley!
The three sages of the Root Clan you've been dealing with... they're actually from this valley. The three of them broke the rule and left the valley, while saying: "The thee of us will change through our own powers this worthless fatalism!".

Some backstory for the sages, finally.

Back in the main room, on the left side...

That thing in the centre is the altar of Master Kumana. If you stand near it, his voice will echo in your mind. It's a wonderful machinery that was able to make an electric recording of Master Kumana's thoughts. But we don't have the ability to build such things any more.
Perhaps Daeron and others have set their sights on Taikun in order to help them efficiently search for the Holy Swords of the Fire Clan. They probably already know where Yomi is sealed, it was probably simple to find out. All they have to do now is gather the human enegry through the dark orchids and send it to Yomi and await his resurrection. Time is running out! They will use any kind of means to stop you!

There is of course another room on the left. Surprisingly here we get a direct tutorial.

You might end up using different kinds of vehicles to get around. But remember one important thing. Most of the vehicles built by the Fire Clan and also those built by us at Ihika have a simple "auto-return" mechanism. If you lose track of the vehicle, don't panic. Simply return to where you first found it...

Good to know. But for now, we'll take the lift here further down.

If you happen to come across a treasure chest that is red in colour... definitely do not open it! It's one of the most dangerous traps designed by our ancestors. They called it the Box of Hundred Demons.

This is a pretty cool thing which exists in this game. But obviously we'll discuss more about it when we do find a red treasure chest. The other two guys here are not interesting. One of them repeats the prophecy story and the other is the save/rest point to recover your HP.

So let's go back up...

...and see what is up with this computer console slash altar here.

A "hologram" is projected. It speaks to us.

I am Kumana of Ihika. Fire Braves! The four bronze bells open with the mirror of the four waters.
Turn. Jump. Climb. Stop. In all life.
In all life.

I have no idea what half of this means. I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow, though.

In the meantime, though...

...there is one other room on the north side.

Everyone in the village knows that pressing the button on the alter will transmit Kimana's will. But no one knows the function of the five marks on the floor there. I think they're probably evacuation devices. In order to commemorate the visit of Fire Braves to Ihika today, I can activate it for you!
[ Yes. ] / No.

Well of course. Why not?

It seems to be working... Try stepping on one of the markers on the floor and see what happens. I'm pretty sure you're not going to die... probably.

Well, ok, let's try one of those pads.

Oh, so we just... got teleported somewhere? Let's look at the map.

Hmm, looks like we're all the way on the western coast now. For reference the Ihika valley is that big clear spot in the middle. Well, I mean, since we're here, let's check out this place and see what's up.

So, uh, welcome to Wakayama (和歌山). I've already mentioned that Wakayama was historically in the Kii province, so I guess this fits.

I suppose we might as well have a chat with a few people here and see what's going on in this part of the world!

This is horrible! Our castle has been taken over by Kikugorou from the Root Clan! He's driven out our lords!
I heard that Kikugourou has blocked access to Mt. Kouya in the northeast. I guess he must have the key to the temple gate.

Mt. Kouya, indeed, is in present day Wakayama prefecture and is an extremely popular tourist destination.

Interesting, they have here also those Jizo statues... But for now let's just talk to this person.

The Wakayama Castle bridge has been raised and is not likely to fall down any time soon. But maybe with a boat...

Huh, so we have to find ourselves a boat again. Too bad we had to leave our badly drawn one behind. But we'll figure something out. But at least we know that the castle is definitively not accessible at the moment.

In the castle there are still left many women and servants... I hope it doesn't end badly for them.

Kikugorou has been kidnapping people from Kii and taking them to the Jungle castle. Since he's been here at Wakayama castle, several people from the town have been taken.

I guess it all feeds into Yomi's life-force or something like that.

As always, we can visit a few houses, too. First we'll talk to the guy standing in the corner.

The lord of Wakayama castle ended up in my house when he was driven out of his castle...

The guy sleeping on the floor is the lord then, I guess?

I, the lord of Wakayama, was caught off guard by Kikugorou and he took my castle from me. That bastard! He lured all the men out and then raised the bridge over the moat. It seems he intends to use the castle as the base while he searches for the four ancient bronze bells all over the Kii province. If we don't recover the castle before that happens, we'll be at his mercy!

Well that's ok, we're also searching for the bells.

That bastard Kikugorou! He said he was going to show me the best stage show in the world, and then... suddenly my whole family swept away in the damned pink tornado, leaving me alone. They must be facing hell right now...

Kikugorou is the lord of the Jungle Castle that suddenly appeared in Ise province. Our town, too, will eventually turn into a forest. I don't think we're long for this world...
Mt. Kouya is like a natural ice house, it's common that the ice doesn't melt at any point throughout the year. Therefore, for those unfamiliar with the route, even walking there can be potentially deadly.
Mt. Kouya has been blocked by Kikugorou. I came here to ask for help, but then look at the state of this place...

Ok, looks like not much we can do here right now, so let's move on. Let's try to make our way to the southern coast.

Of course, we get accosted on the way! Thse guys like to use ice based spells.

Also, enemy names are just getting better and better!

After this battle, kabuki learns a new skill, "double suicide"
(心中), which does not actually kill him fortunately. What it does do is inflict large damage to one enemy but at a cost of being damaged himself. So I guess it could work as a finisher, or if you know you'll be able to heal.

Along the way, we can see a few of these water caverns (there were a couple also in the Valley of Sorrow), so we're definitely going to need a boat to access those. We can also check out that road sign there.

There is a quiet village upstream where you can rest from the travelling. Please drop by.

Well, we're good for now, so we can proceed. Also that sounds vaguely suspicious.

Well, let's check out this place then.

It's called Shinguu village (新宮). Incidentally shinguu is an actual word in Japanese which means "newly built shrine". Let's quickly talk to that guy down there behind the fence.

In different places in Kii province there are grotesque statues. They are said to be the guardian deity of pirates, but their true purpose is unknown.

I guess he must be talking about the status like the one in the Valley of Sorrow. So it seems we should be on the lookout for more of them!

Looking in a bit further, it seems like there is some sort of flooding here?

Let's talk to more people to find out.

I heard there is a coral island in Kushimoto village. I'd like to leave this life where I'm frightened by the Root Clan and live on such a beautiful island.

Hello!

It is said that the pirates were taught ship building skills by a foreign tribe which migrated from Ise to Kii. It makes sense, since our ancestors were not smart enough to build ships on their own!

In the old days, pirates used to dedicate their ships, and their very lives to the Kumano Shrine.

In real life there are actually three different Kumano shrines, located around the Wakayama prefecture. Here is a picture of one of them, Kumano-Hayatama shrine, located on the coast of Kii peninsula in the town of Shinguu in Wakayama prefecture on the Japanese island of Honshuu.

By 663highland - Own work, CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11193644

Across that bridge there, there is this person.

Welcome to Shinguu. Are you here to visit the Kumano Shrine? Things don't seem to be going so well there...

Yeah, I'd say, the entrance to it seems flooded, as we could see on an earlier screenshot! The building you see on this screenshot is not accessible from this side due to those trees, so we'll have to see about that later.

In the meantime, let's check a couple of houses here too.

Like this kid here.

I saw a pink tornado the other day! It was surrounded by monsters and I could hear a voice coming from the inside, telling them to "go and find the bronze bells quickly"! But I'm good at playing hide and seek, so they didn't see me!

Long ago, before Kii was a proper province, this region was ruled by pirates. I heard that they used to subdue the people with their powerful warship!

Please tell me we will be able to obtain this ship!

Before we leave, let's just stop by the shop.

We'll buy these "barley ear shoes" for 1000 ryo (man that's expensive).

First we'll replace Manjimaru's old shoes with these for a +4 in speed and then...

...we give those to Kabuki for a nice +12 in speed. Of course this all requires way too many button presses back and forth through the menus. But either way, after this, we of course sell the old stuff to make room.

And now we'll be on our way, since there is not really anything else we can do here right now.

As it turns out, just a short walk down the coast we find the Kushimoto village that we've been told about. I suppose those things in the sea must be the coral reefs. Let's go inside.

But, as soon as we enter the village...

...things start to happen!

Check out the cutscene video for what happens next!

The term "tayuu" 太夫 that was heard in the cutscene is a bit difficult to explain in English. It means a few different things, like the kabuki actor which plays the female role, or a head of an acting troupe or even a high-ranking courtesan. So take your pick.

And then, just as quickly as they showed up, they're gone. Well, we'll meet up with them again later on, I'm sure.

In the meantime, let's take a bit of a break here for now.

I hope everyone is enjoying Manjimaru's "road trip" so far--I'm pretty sure you can see that the sheer scale of this game's world is quite a bit larger than what you would normally expect from an early 1990s JRPG. But that's what you get when you have a whole CD's worth of space for your game data, as opposed to a relatively limited cartridges on the Nintendo side. Still, the PC Engine/Turbografx platform never seems to have obtained much of a foothold in the west and so most of the JRPGs that were released on it, including this one, never left Japan (notable exception to this are the first three Ys games and a couple of others). Not that this game would have been an easy localisation task to begin with (as seen just a couple of paragraphs above), but still.

Anyway, take care and see you next time!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, no kidding about the scale of the world, this is huge!

How big a part of the total world have we seen so far?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think we all understood how great Kikugorou the great is after that update.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, no kidding about the scale of the world, this is huge!

How big a part of the total world have we seen so far?

Well, basically the game world is this map which we've already seen:

Here I have circled the part of the world we have visited so far. So as you can see, there is still plenty more to go, the game is indeed absolutely huge.

I guess probably mostly people here have already figured out that this game is of a more episodic nature--the overarching plot is less of a focus, but the focus is more on individual little bits that happen to Manjimaru and the party as they travel around Jipang and various events that happen and people that they meet along the way.

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
I just noticed that this map is using the four cardinal beasts for navigation as opposed to N/S/E/W, that's a pretty neat detail!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ivantod posted:

While the graphics are quite colourful, the character sprites are definitely a bit on the tinier side. So the blue haired guy in the middle is Manjimaru and the other person at the bottom near the entrance is his mother. You can certainly talk to her, and talking to NPCs in general is a big part of getting the story of this game, but she will simply tell you to go upstairs and escape the house.

Before we continue, I was talking previously about the PS2/GameCube remake version. So here is what this same screen looks like in that version:

A minor question but it's stuck in my head:
Blue haired? is that a typo, a translation issue, or... are you color blind? Because our here Manjimaru's hair is super duper purple in both these pictures.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

bewilderment posted:

A minor question but it's stuck in my head:
Blue haired? is that a typo, a translation issue, or... are you color blind? Because our here Manjimaru's hair is super duper purple in both these pictures.

Door number 3! I'm mildly red/green colour blind. I have problems with certain shades, and certainly purple comes into play there because of its red component.

Funnily enough, it seems I make a blue/purple mistake in pretty much every LP thread that I have done so far! At this point I should probably just use an image editing program to check first lol. :v:

Luckily my red/green issue is overall pretty mild and doesn't really cause me problems in real life (e.g. driving) so it's all good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i see manjimaru's family has an Inside Cow. that seems like a lot of work and/or a lot of stink.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Doc Hawkins posted:

i see manjimaru's family has an Inside Cow. that seems like a lot of work and/or a lot of stink.

When Bart says "don't have a cow, man" it's genuine, heartfelt advice. :p

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, on their tour of Jipang, Manjimaru and Kabuki rescued the ninja chief and also met up with his three granddaughters. Also it seems we need to obtain the four bronze bells in order to proceed towards the Jungle Castle. However, it does also appear that we may need a boat to access some parts of this region and there have been mentions of a pirate warship of some sort.

In today's episode, we also stumble across an infinite money exploit in this game!

After talking to the three lady ninjas, we're still in Kushimoto village. So let's see what's going on around here. We'll do our usual tour talking to everyone. It's a small place so there's only a few people here.

This is Kushimoto, a rural fishing village at the very southern top of the Kii province. Because of those Root Clan shitheads, we're not able to go fishing any more!

Since the men can no longer fish, we divers have to work even harder... But as the work is getting more difficult, also more people are getting injured or even drowning in the sea. If this continues, we may have to abandon our village entirely...

Well, that's not great. But don't worry, we'll deal with it soon!

In this village there is a group small rocks, called Hashigui-iwa. If you look from the shore towards the sea, you can see the whole row of them. It's quite a rare sight, so you should take a look.

Ah yeah, we saw those on the overworld just before we arrived. In fact, Hashigui-iwa (橋杭岩), or in English, "bridge pillar rocks", is a rock formation that exists in real life. It is of course found off the coast of Kushimoto town, in Wakayama prefecture. Here is an actual photograph of it:

Let's move on. We have a couple of houses to visit here too.

Hashigui-iwa is said to be like a bridge over a coral island. I've never seen a coral island, but I'm sure it must be beautiful.
Have you visited the big valley to the north? At night, you can hear a weird sobbing voice coming on the wind from that walley. They say it's the voices of people who have committed suicide by jumping into the valley!

First let's talk to the kid!

These days, dad just sits at home and gets drunk and mumbles to himself. I wonder why he doesn't bring any more fish...

The dad is a bit worse for wear:

Ugh, can't catch any fish... there is no sushi. Can't catch any octopus... there's no takoyaki. Can't catch any foxes... there is no fox udon! Wait, no, there's no fox in fox udon. I'm so drunk!

"Fox udon" (キツネうどん) is actually udon with deep fried tofu. It contains no foxes.

Finally the last person...

I can't be a fisherman, so I thought I'd become a lumberjack! But the Root Clan has even started to appear in the forest here beghind the shrine now...

We'll check that situation in a moment. But for now...

And this one guest in the inn...

In the forest behind the shrine the root clan has appeared. They seem to be looking for something, so be careful when you go there!

Well, ok, let's investigate this. First of all...

...here is the shrine, at the northern end of the village.

There is a path we can follow through the forest here. (We're not actually exiting to the overworld, this is just part of the village).

Ah, well, that's interesting. Let's go in.

This is really our only lead at the moment, so let's see where it leads.

There are some chests down here. They are mostly empty. But one has a wild dog helmet. This game really likes to troll with empty chests.

This we give to Kabuki for +3 in defence compared to his current equipment.

Also...

...there are random encounters down here and we even find a new enemy!

I don't neccesarily want to speculate what's going on here on a genetic level.

This enemy formation is actually a bit dangerous as they take multiple turns to kill at our level and can inflict some serious damage in the meantime. Multi enemy spells are probably the best bet, as anything else will be too slow and you will get killed before you're done with them.

Let's head back up.

And outside.

Huh, what now. Well, there is one of those disfigured statues there. So, uh, maybe if we try using that mirror on it?

Manjimaru uses the Mirror of the Four Waters!

And then...

...things happen! We create an actual bridge across those rock formations!

There is a small water basin/well here. If we check it out...

Nice. That was not too hard. Three more to go. Before you ask, yes of course, even though it's a special "quest" item, it sure as heck takes up an inventory spot. With all the special items we're carrying around at the moment, we hardly have any space left for regular items! Also, yes, I will stop complaining about this issue at some point. Just not today.

In any case we're done here and can now go back through that underground cave. On the way back...

...the game decides to not give us any break! These guys take 3 turns to kill, so even with using multi-target spells, it definitely gets dicey. At least it gets us around 40 EXP which is not bad at all at this point in the game.

But we do make it back to the village, where is sell some old equipment as usual. After a quick rest at the inn...

...we're ready to continue our search for the second bell! For this we'll head towards the east.

Across the bridge here...

...and then we visit this place at the north end of this big inlet.

Welcome to Kumano village! It's kind of divided on both sides of the inlet with a bridge in between (you can't see the bridge yet, we'll see it in a moment).

First we'll stop in the shop.

We'll pick up this "stage costume" outfit for Kabuki (only he can use it).

As you can see, this is a pretty good defence upgrade at +8 compared to his previous outfit, and very much worth getting at this point! And now of course, let's find out the local news.

After resting at the inn, we'll talk to this kid here.

When I get older, I want to soak in the hot spring bath in Shirahama village, drink some sake and reminisce back on my life!

Haha, cool, but still we should probably check out that hot springs. Luckily, there are currently no women in our party, so we're not in danger of encountering a questionable fan-service scene there! But before we go, let's see what's up here in Kumano.

So again, let's talk to the residents.

For some reason, the main hall of the Kumano shrine does not seem to have an entrance. That's why no one has ever been inside to see what is there.

Well, we have some experience with houses that don't have front doors, so we may be able to help here. Also here you can see the bridge which connects two sides of the village.

In that house next door...

It seems that the Wakayama castle has been taken over by that Kikugorou of the Root Clan. I wonder if they plan to use it as base to invade all over Kii province.
In the mountains to the north of here, there is a Tengu's cabin... or so I've heard.

It's about time to visit another Tengu. This one is a bit hard to access though, so we'll have to do a couple of other things first.

Then this gentleman here is hiding in the trees!

The founder of the Kumano shrine is said to have been a crow, and hence a crow is now the deity of this shrine. But this time, it seems even its divine powers will not help. The number of crows has increased along with the corpses, but this shrine is dying out.

Crow as a deity of a shrine? Absolutely. And not just any crow, actually it's a three-legged crow! Check this out:

Notice the banners showing a three-legged crow (which is a thing in East Asian mythology/folklore) displayed everywhere. In fact this photograph is of one of the shrines in Wakayama prefecture!

Here is the shrine. It does seem to have something which looks like a door, but either way it shut tight and it seems the only access is from water. Let's keep investigating.

Kumano shrine protects the pirate ship which is stored there... at least that is the Kumano legend which has been passed down over generations.

Knowing this game, legends generally turn out to be true, so looks like we'll be captaining a pirate ship soon!

In the house next door...

There are five Jizo statues in front of the shrine, but some of them are headless which is a bit creepy. However, according to the legend, that's how they were built in the first place.

Here are the Jizo statues, and yeah, some of them lack heads. However, there seems to be also one of those big statues that we can use our mirror on. Let's have a look at that for a moment.

Over here, next to the big statue, there is also another building... but it doesn't have stairs leading to the entrance! Obviously, we can't climb that enormous height. However...

...simply using the mirror in front of the statue causes a staircase to appear. Well, that was easy. Let's head on inside.

Well, look at that. It's a completely empty room containing only five levers. Hmm, five Jizo statues and also five up/down levers. Do you think that the statues might be describing the formation that the levers should be put into? Don't answer that because it's obvious.

Indeed, if we put the levers to match the up/down pattern of the Jizo statues...

...a staircase appears on the left side of the room.

But wait a second! What if... and just go with me here... what if, what if we put the levers in the OPPOSITE positions from the statue pattern?

Hey! Then we get a staircase on the right side! Well, let's check it out.

So it's just a small optional room with two chests in it.

It also contains this guy in it--we return temporarily to the "skeleton" theme for the enemies.

In fact, there are several of them in this building and they are all "set" encounters which are triggered when you step over particular tiles. They're also all one-time encounters and do not reappear once defeated. Which is a good thing too, because they're pretty nasty. The good news is... there is an inn right outside, so you can just run out and rest after defeating each one!

"Outfitted" in the sense of not just being a bare skeleton but one wearing armour/equipment. I'm also starting to wish we had more than two party members. Alas, not yet.

So is it worth it coming down here for the two chests? Not really. One of them has a restorative item, and the other a piece of equipment which is not as good as what we already have. Meh. Let's change the levers and head to the left side of the house.

Down here there is not much, so we just need to follow the only possible path, while being mindful of those bone soldiers popping up every so often. Notice how from here you can actually see the hidden room on the right, so that gives you a prompt to look into how to access it.

Let's see...

Hey, look at that! It's a pirate ship! Cool! Let's board!

But uh, how do we get out of here? Well. Recall that it was mentioned about this ship actually being armed. If we open our in-game menu...

...we can see that apart from usual commands here like to use item or spell or equip party members, now that we're on this ship, there is an extra option: "bombardment" (砲撃). Sure, let's see what happens.

That's one way of doing it, for sure!

But, now that we have a ship, let's see where we can go!

Before we proceed with our actual tasks, let's first check out a couple of slightly out of the way locations.

As usual...

...there are enemy encounters while on water, too. However, the "bombardment" command is available here too and you can use it if you want--the ship doesn't get a turn of its own though; you have to sacrifice one of your party members' turns to use it.

These guys are not super tough, but they do have the ability to inflict the "forgetful" status effect. It's the same as "silence" in Final Fantasy, preventing the usage of spells. Status effects in this game, at least, always wear off after a while. In battle that means after a few turns, and if any of them persist after the battle, they will also wear off after a short while. Incidentally, party members getting knocked out in the battle are also considered to be afflicted by a status effect. This one is called "almost dead", and will also wear off after a short while after the battle ends and the character will be revived with 1 HP. This doesn't apply to Manjimaru; if he is knocked out, you get transported back to the nearest inn. So you can never get a game over by losing a battle.

Anyway, I said we'll go explore on our boat for a bit, but before that...

If we float down the inlet, we arrive again to Shinguu village. If you recall, there were a couple of inaccessible places there. For example this shrine on an island!

Hoho, you got an interesting looking ship here. Well, looks like it's some kind of a fate, so please help yourself to whatever you find in the treasure hall.

The treasure hall is this other house here, which is completely surrounded by trees and not accessible from land. But now we can finally get to it! Let's see what's inside.

Three chests. The one on the left is empty, the one on the right has 780 ryo. The one in the middle is somewhat interesting.

So, despite the name, this is not actually a piece of equipment. This item has the following function: it will stop the enemy attacks for 3 turns, but you will also not be able to act during those turns (meaning in both cases the whole party). So this somehow seems useless at first glance, but there is a way to use it.

However, a more interesting thing about this item that it forms a part of an easy (but tedious) infinite money exploit. First of all, this item is somehwat valuable--you can buy it for 2400 ryo. All items when you sell them back to the merchant are paid at 50% rate so you can sell this back for 1200 ryo.

Across the river there is a shop where you can do that and earn the 1200. However, and I'm honestly not sure if this is a bug or if it is intended like that (but I really doubt it), but once you sell the item in the shop, it reappears in the chest in the treasure hall. So you can just get on the ship and go across the river and get it again, and then return to the shop and sell it, etc. Repeat this until you get bored and you can have as much money as you want. The need to constantly cross the river in the ship is what makes this super tedious, though. There are a few other items like this in the game, so perhaps this was just some technical issue they were not able to work around.

However, I will utilise this to bring our finances up to about 9000 ryo, because we REALLY desperately need some substantially better weapons at this point. And I know where to get them, but it costs money!

As for how would you use this item. Well, first of all, in theory, depending on the order of turns, you still might be able to get in an attack or two before the enemies "wake up" later in the same turn. But as it turns out, even the implementation of this item's function is also inconsistent/buggy, so the party always wakes up on Manjimaru's turn, regardless of who actually used the item three turns previously. In this way, having the slowest character use the item will ultimately yield the most amount of "free attacks" after the party wakes up but before the enemies can do so, and then if you just use the item again by the last party member, you can keep the enemies shut down permanently during the battle if you want! As everything with this item, this too is quite tedious to do, and not to mention the cost of having to buy many of these. But, well, it's there if you want to try it.

Anyway, I'll be back in a few minutes when I have enough money as mentioned above!

All right, I'm done. If you're wondering where we are, we have teleported to just outside Wakayama, because there is a shop here which has what we need.

Yes, this thing here. Mysterious Sword "Winter Wind". What a name. We are actually getting two, one for each of our characters.

Check this out: +13 in damage compared to Manjimaru's current equipment!

And for Kabuki it's a whole +17! So I would say, it was worth spending a few minutes on this!

Ok, now that this is done, we'll fast travel back to where we were...

...which is about here, in Shingu village. As you can see, we have a bit of a problem as to how to exit the village.

The problem is solved in the exact same way as before, of course.

After exiting from the inlet, we make our way back up north along the other side of the land. By the way, we can only navigate around the ligther coloured part of the water. The dark part (on the right side) is not navigable for us.

A bit to the north is another tight passage.

But it leads to a tiny island with a Tengu's hut!

Let's see what we get here!

How are they doing over there in the Valley of Sorrow? After all, it's been a thousand years since we've parted ways with them...
Oh, what, the other Tengu didn't tell you? That's right, we used to be members of the Root Clan too!
No way! You've been taking all these scrolls without realising it? Figures, that the Fire Clan would be like that...
Then you don't have to thank me for this "Mother's Forgetfulness" scroll! But please! Fire Clan! Let's finally end this war, once and for all!

Well, that was unexpected for sure. As for the scroll, it simply inflicts the "forgetful" status on enemies and makes it not possible for them to use spells.

All right, now with that done...

...let's head a bit to the west.

These guys will literally be the bane of your existence while at sea. They appear literally ALL THE TIME and while not strong, still take forever to take down with spells. At least they give 7 EXP each which is not bad as they mostly appear in groups of five.

Anyway, for now we'll stop at this place over here.

This is another small place, called Shirahama willage. Shirahama (白浜) means "white sandy beach"! The actual beach in real-life Shirahama is, of course, well known for its white sand.

But I see already a few people here!

Welcome to Kii's largest hot spring resort, Shirahama! Enjoy the beautiful scenery and have plenty of delicious meals! Well... that's what I would normally say, but due to Root Clan, the number of customers has decrased significantly.

Our village chief who was kidnapped by the Root Clan has returned, all covered in blood, and is now unconscious.

This gentleman is a bit interesting...

I'm the cook at the hot springs resort, but I am not able to catch fish any more because of those rocks! Will you help me and get rid of them?
[ Yes. ] / No.

Not sure why he wants that... but let's indulge him.

First we get back out on the sea in our boat, and then...

...just like that.

Getting back to this gentleman...

Thank you for breaking that rock! Actually, my father was the last pirate around here. As a thank you, I will tell where he used to hide his equipment. Have a look at the place called Ryuujin cave a little bit to the northwest!

We shall certainly do so shortly, but we have a couple of things to do first. Incidentally "ryuujin" (龍神) means "dragon god".

For now, though, let's continue our tour of the village.

Over here is the local shrine.

It is said that the pirates who long ago rampaged here in Kii later settled down as fishermen and lumberjacks. If we still had the blood of pirates, we could resist the Root Clan. But... it seems to have faded away over time.

Yes, I know there is a staircase there in the top right corner. Don't worry, we'll check that out shortly. For now, though...

Hello!

This area was originally settled by the pirates. Today, there are no more pirates, but there are treasures left by them to be found around the Kii province.

Yes, and we will be looking for some of them in just a bit, namely that guy's equipment.

Let's visit also a few houses here.

My husband was tortured mercilessly by the Root Clan. They even went so far to burn into his back the words "Kikugorou the Great" with a hot iron! The Root Clan seems to be looking for the bronze bells that are supposedly hidden in Kii. Did they really kidnapped an elderly person just to ask him for the location of some bells?

Uh, I mean, yeah, but they are not ordinary bells...

He's not doing so well, though.

Nngh... I don't know anything about the bells! Please let me go! I swear I don't know!

In this house there is just a kid.

I was playing hide and seek at the shrine the other day, but suddenly I found a demonic looking statue! I was so scared that I peed my pants!

Here in Kii, there is a fairy tale like this...
Hashigui-iwa turns round and round, the eyeballs also turn, and the head turns, too.
The spring also turns and so does life, on and on.
In the fountain, a fragment of life.
You know, I have no idea what any of that means! But don't you think it's an elegant song that makes you feel the importance of history?

Well, maybe, if I could understand it...

But now that we've done that, let's head over to the inn.

The hot water... the steam is rising. Just like the steam that is born on earth and will one day ascend to heaven, so will the humans and so will the Root Clan... Sorry, the heat is making me a bit dizzy, so I start to get philosophical.
If you go out on the sea with a boat, you can find the small island where a Tengu lives. He likes the sea so much that he's decided to live there.

Hm, we already found an island with a Tengu hut, but it wasn't exactly in the sea... or do you mean there is another somewhere here?

Anyway, that's about everybody we can talk to. So let's get back to that staircase in the shrine.

This one here.

It leads to an "unfinished basement", as you can see. What you can probably also see is that there is one of the bells chilling out on the other side of that wall. But... how do we get there? Hint: check back again the screenshot from the spa room.

Anyway, if we check that basin of water...

Hot water is bubbling up!

Obviously, we use the mirror on the statue, as always (well, not quite as always, on the first statue we used a ring).

It causes water to cool down! Let's see how the spa patrons feel about it.

The hot water... the steam is rising. Come to think of it... where is the hot water? There is no hot water! There is no hot water! There is no hot water! There is no hot water! There is no hot water! There is no hot water!

Welcome to tonight's slam poetry competition, folks!

In the end, what this means for us is...

...that we can now head through here!

It leads, of course, to the other side of that basement, which means...

...that we can now pick up the second bell!

There is nothing else down here, so we can now leave this place.

We want to head west anyway, to find that Ryuujin cave, but first...

...if we head all the way southwest, we find another island with a Tengu hut on it! Amazing!

Ha ha ha ha ha. Hey, you're here! It's been years since I've talked to anybody!
Ha ha ha ha ha, Fire Clan? I guess no decent people come to this place anyway. Whachawant?
Ha ha ha ha ha, don't tell me! Don't tell me! I know what it is! You want "that", right?
You want that "thing" of mine! It's called a "mud worm" and it's one heck of a nasty scroll! So I will give it to you!

Uh, thanks, I guess?

In any case, we have a mini-boss fight coming up quite soon, and I'm not exaggerating if I say, that without this scroll, it's going to be practically impossible to beat it with characters being on a natural level that they should be when you don't do excessive grinding.

So what does it do, you might ask? The Mud Worm
(泥虫) scroll simply lowers the agility of one enemy for a few turns. This is quite critical for the upcoming battle, but I will explain the details when we get there.

First, we head to the pirate treasure cave, though.

Obviously, on the way, we get some new enemies! Nothing really too out of the ordinary here.

In order to get into the cave, we follow this waterway here. So you definitely need a boat to get in here.

Not only that, but in fact the whole cave is flooded and can only be navigated by boat!

In the cave, there are a few places like this, where you can dock your boat next to some stairs. They lead to...

...rooms like this, containing treasure chests! In this one...

Manjimaru found the pirate longsword!

Nice, but it's literally one point of strength weaker than our current weapons! So it will get sold at the first opportunity. Let's hope other stuff we find here is better.

Continuing to explore...

...we encounter more new enemies! Attack of the killer... oranges, I guess? In any case, its worth fighting them as they appear in groups of 4 or 5 and give 11 EXP each, so you're looking at 40-50 EXP for a pretty easy battle!

Here is our second docking point.

This is like Dark Souls when you explore a dungeon and find all matching pieces of an equipment set one by one.

This one is definitely worth equipping, though. Kabuki has been lagging behind in defence compared to Manjimaru, so he gets this one for a nice +16 in defence!

Let's go looking for more stuff!

Tucked in over here is our next stop.

Cool, let's see.

This one gives Manjimaru +1 in defence compared to his current helmet, but again, there is no downside, so...

This was actually also the last thing to find--theoretically this dungeon is entirely optional, and its only purpose is to get some better equipment if you want. Exiting from the cave on the other end...

...leads over here. There seems to be another village, so let's have a look.$

Welcome to Kiyohime! The name of the village comes from Kiyohime (清姫) who is a character from a Japanese 11th century tale, "Anchin and Kiyohime" (it's probably older of course, but the first written record about it appears around year 1040. The story is basically about how Kiyohime falls in love with a Buddhist monk named Anchin, but gets rejected. This causes her in a rage to transform into a serpent and kill him, after finding him hiding in a bronze bell in a temple.

Unlike other towns/villages we were visiting recently, Kiyohime is not actually a place in modern-day Wakayama, but is named that in game for other reasons!

Anyway, let's see what's going on here, starting with the two people visible on this screenshot (yeah, I know, one is cut off a bit!).

You are lucking to be coming to this village! A beautiful woman just arrived here!
Have you seen the girl who recently came to our village? Such gorgeous and exotic green hair! This village was depressing and gloomy because of Root Clan, but now just having her around makes everyone happy.

I guess we'll have to meet her later!

Yes, I've literally left our boat parked there illegaly like that. Let's talk to the guy.

The root clan has attacked Mt. Kouya in the north. We fought desperately, but were finally defeated and this is where we are now.

Let's not forget this lady here.

What is up with the men in this village! Their flirtation attempts with this girl and just pathetic. I mean, she's cute and all, but has a bit of a cold look in her eyes. I don't like her at all!

Of course, let's check out the houses too.

Wakayama castle in the west is said to have been overtaken by a pink tornado. Just as humans have a lifespan, maybe so do the countries. It seems Kii may be doomed to perish.

There is a rumour that an ancient bronze bell is hidden somewhere in this village... A girl who came here recently seems to be looking for it. But how does she even know about it?

Hmm, I see. So I guess probably won't be friendly to us then.

Did you see that strange statue by the river? There are a few of them all over the province, not just in this village. I don't know what kind of fortune they bring, but I do wonder who made those weird statues in the first place.

We'll check that out in a second.

Ah, here is the weird statue. But, it's not accessible from here, so I guess we may have to find the other entrance to that cavern behind it. Also, what is up with the geysers blocking access to the shrine?

Over here inn, we can talk to this kid.

When I went for a pee-pee during the night, I saw something scary. The girl who came to the village turned into a snake, swam through the geyser and entered the shrine! Maybe I just dreamt it all?

You can probably already tell where all this is going.

Also the mother.

The geysers in this village have been active for a thousand years and are our specialty. I'm thinking about making a fortune by selling geyser buns. I think it's a good idea, they would squirt water out when you press them!

Perhaps try this with jam instead. But at least it explains the existence of geysers.

All right, let's see about accessing that statue. For that, first...

...we take our boat to cross to the other side. So in the end, turns out that dungeon is not really optional, as you more less need the boat for this.

And then, the cave entrance is literally just here.

We have a brief cavern to go through.

Over here is tucked a chest with 640 ryo. Don't mind if I do.

But apart from that, there's nothing here of note, so we can simply...

...go out the other side, which expectedly brings us right next to the statue. Of course, we use the mirror on it.

It causes geysers to disappear! Which means...

...we can now use the boat to dock at the shrine. Of course the boat was on the other side, so we had to go back through the cave to get it.

Inside, we find again, to our dismay, that jerk Kikugorou. Looks like he's again brought a friend with him. I guess that's the girl everybody was talking about. Now it all makes sense. And they are clearly blocking our access to the third bronze bell, too!

Look at her elegant tresses swaying in the wind! Please look forward to meeting Princess Serpent!

Can we not?

No, I guess we have to. It's a mini boss again, and oh my god look at her hair. It's literally snakes!

Anyway, as for this boss fight, alhthough we've been breezing through the last couple, this one can very definitely be a problem. Her physical attack doesn't do huge damage, so that's very much manageable.

The only other attack she has is this:

This one is mildly annoying as it has a chance to inflict the "sleep" status on its target. It renders you unable to act for a few turns, but still, that's manageable.

What is NOT manageable however, is her extremely high agility (check the stats below). As in some other games (at least some installments of Final Fantasy for sure), the agility stat also drives how evasive she is. What I'm trying to say is that basically the main problem with this fight is that, well, you're not going to be able to land a hit on her at all. And in this game even spells are subject to evasion, so... yeah.

So, then, what to do? Well, first of all, I would really recommend being at least level 19 for this fight. You should already be close to it when you get here (around 17-18 for sure if you play the game normally). So take a few minutes to get yourself up to 19. This should help to bring up a bit your own agility. However, this will not be enough by any stretch. So you will need to also make sure that she's at all points she has the "mud worm" spell applied on her. This lowers her agility by about 45 points which is not bad. You will still miss a fair few times, but at least you'll be able to hit like 40-50% of the time.

Unfortunately, that's not the end of our problems here. Note that she also has a high defence. This means your physical attacks won't do a huge amount of damage, so you'll have to use magic. But the problem with this is that your MP is not exactly abundant so you run the risk of running out. However, note also that Kabuki has quite a bit more MP (66) compared to Manjimaru's 46. Therefore, finally, our strategy looks like this. Give to Kabuki the offensive spell you will be using to damage her (Demonic Fire works quite well), and give the "Mud Worm" spell to Manjimaru. Then, Manjimaru can apply the Mud Worm every few turns while Kabuki spams Demonic Fire. In his "off" turns, Manjimaru can also attack or heal whoever needs it. As mentioned, you'll still miss half the time, but this way you at least stand a chance.

There is actually still one more minor annoyance in this fight. When her HP drops below 100, this will start to happen:

It's a massively annoying 20 HP heal! Demonic fire does about that much damage to her, so it basically negates your last hit. Unfortunately he'll keep doing this every 3-4 turns, so here it becomes really critical to have the Mud Worm applied so you don't lose MP for no reason. And yes, in the orginal Japanese version he absolutely calls her "Princess Serpent-chan". I will not comment further on this.

Anyway, with all this in mind, unless you get super unluckly with her evasion, you should be able to do this on the first try.

Finally, the reason for the reference to Kiyohime becomes now clear.

But anyway, eventually, that is done...

...and we can pick up the third bell!

So, that's it for today. Next time we'll see how the villagers react to the Princess Serpent situation and of course continue on our quest to find the final bronze bell!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

How powerful is "bombardment" when used in battle? Does it have any advantages over just attacking normally?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Some of those attack sprites really look cool.

And man, more jRPG vehicles need to come with usable cannons. Hell yeah that owns.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PurpleXVI posted:

And man, more jRPG vehicles need to come with usable cannons. Hell yeah that owns.
how many games have even done this? This and Final Fantasy Legend III are the only two I can think of

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how many games have even done this? This and Final Fantasy Legend III are the only two I can think of

Showed up in Phantasy Star, I'm pretty sure.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

How powerful is "bombardment" when used in battle? Does it have any advantages over just attacking normally?

I was wondering this too!

Incredible work Ivantodd--I am loving this!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pixel graphics rpg overworld but its fully destructible, someone make that

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

To be honest, it's mostly on a similar order of magnitude like your normal attacks so it's not something like 5x or 10x stronger.

PurpleXVI posted:

Some of those attack sprites really look cool.

Yeah the enemy sprites, especially the (mini)bosses are all kinds of awesome in this game. Also the game has nothing if not a big variety of vehicles that the party gets to use over the course of their journey, much more so that most games of similar genre/vintage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ivantod posted:

To be honest, it's mostly on a similar order of magnitude like your normal attacks so it's not something like 5x or 10x stronger.
Does it at least hit more than one enemy?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Zereth posted:

Does it at least hit more than one enemy?

Nope, it only hits one enemy. So it honestly isn't very useful in normal battles when you get 5 or 6 enemies together. But that's ok, this is certainly not the last means of transport Manjimaru and the party will be using which has its own special attack. There will be others!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Sum Gai posted:

Showed up in Phantasy Star, I'm pretty sure.

Phantasy Star IV was the only JRPG I've ever seen with vehicle combat. (Final Fantasy III had the airship Invincible start combats you got into by casting Meteor opening fire on your opponents to soften them up, but otherwise it was down to the Warriors of Light like any other combat.)

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Snorb posted:

Phantasy Star IV was the only JRPG I've ever seen with vehicle combat. (Final Fantasy III had the airship Invincible start combats you got into by casting Meteor opening fire on your opponents to soften them up, but otherwise it was down to the Warriors of Light like any other combat.)

Don't forget Final Fantasy Legends 3's/SaGa 3's own airship, where you could run into random encounters with it, and it would start off the battle with whatever weapon you equipped on it. And that's not getting into when you face off with the eldritch abomination threatening to flood your world, and your ship shows up to provide damage every round. It's not a whole lot at this point, but it's still neat. It's more touching when you realize it's your dad, whose brain is acting as the ship's computer, is trying to help his son out in a slightly more proactive manner for this last fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Skies of Arcadia has ship-to-ship combat, complete with Moon Stone Cannon!, and IIRC you can call in the ship as one of Vyse's special attacks.