Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I feel like a big company translating this would probably just start making up names for some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh certainly, most times that'd be less interesting but sometimes you get gems like Y burns out of it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

How many innocents did our Fire Heroes kill here? There was no other way out but...still pretty chilling.

Considering that they seemed to be in a fate worse than death, I think what the heroes did was more of a mercy than anything else.

Also... is anyone else expecting the plot twist that the Root Clan are reviving the wrong god? That's totally the setup at this point, right? It's not just me?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, Manjimaru and the party entered Tanba province, but as we learned, there's not much there. We found two temples and a couple of border villages, but that was mostly it. In addition to that, we learned that Duke Pepe is now a wanted fugitive, but that didn't prevent him from trying to fight us. Unfortunately we had to break up the fight when his pursuers appeared, which was pretty annoying. However, we also learned that our old friend Hoteimaru (the "easygoing missionary") is in the area and travelling towards Kobe. So in this episode we'll try to catch up with him and see what's going on.

Anyway, so. As mentioned here we are just outside the blue temple. We were instructed to head south and then all the way west if we want to reach the only village in this province, Kanoko. So let's see where that gets us.

Checking the map, we can see that there is a pretty clear path leading straight west just a bit south from where we are right now, so let's take it and hopefully it will lead to somewhere useful/interesting!

Here we are on the path leading west, and we'll have to cross that bridge you can just barely see in the bottom left corner!

Except...

Yeah.

Thanks to you guys, I can't return to my home country...
Thanks to you guys, I'm being chased by my former allies every day...
So you see, Manjimaru, you are the only ones I have left!
I LOVE YOU!

Nevertheless, we go into a boss fight! It's all the same, except he has a bit less HP than last time. I guess he got injured/tired while running away from the Root Clan pursuers!

Anyway, it's an exactly the same fight as last time, so let's just fast forward to his defeat.

Or, rather...

Pepe has run away!

The pursuers leave chasing after Pepe!

And so, again, we don't get to finish the boss fight.

Well, let's just continue on our way then.

Although there are not many villages here, you might take notice of those four suspiciously arranged trees.

It is of course, another ninja hideout!

I don't think fighting a war without purpose is just, so I've been thinking...
Master Manjimaru's goal is to find the holy swords and destroy the dark orchids and thus stop Yomi from reviving.
So you might find yourself buying a new sword or fighting Root rank and file enemies for practice... but you must never lose sight of your true goal!

As always, you can rest for free in the house.

Well, all right. In order to continue we'll have to cross that bridge you can just about see on the left edge.

Except...

Yeah.

I want to wring your necks with my bare hands! That's my purpose in life!
My dream is to have all of your heads neatly lined up in front of my wife's grave! Isn't it a cute dream?

I guess it's a boss fight...

Except he now has even less HP and is now pretty visibly injured from the ordeal of running away from his pursuers! All right, let's fight. As you might expect, this goes exactly the same as previous two times, until...

Pepe has run away!

The pursuers leave chasing after Pepe!

And for the third time in a row, no money or EXP for us! Well, at least this is the last time we fight him for the foreseable future--which is not to be taken to mean that he won't be extremely annoying later today anyway! But for a brief moment we're free to do our own thing without interruptions.

Continuing west, we reach the end of the road with the options to continue either north or south.

North is another tucked away tengu's house!

Where did Mari and Yomi come from? Have you heard the story?
Well, I can't be sure because I wasn't there to witness it, but I heard the a long time ago, a red and a blue sphere fell from the heavens. They say it was Mari and Yomi...
And then in the likeness of humans, Mari created you, the Fire Clan and Yomi created the Root Clan. I don't know how long ago it was, but... already at that time the seeds of the current conflict have been planted!
But look, I'll give you my "flower blossom" scroll! And I ask you to end this war as soon as possible.

Manjimaru obtained the "blooming flower" scroll

We add another scroll to our arsenal, "blooming flower" (花咲). This one is pretty simple: it increases the hit rate of one ally's spells. So if you want to use a spell that has a low hit rate, you can help yourself a bit by using this one first!

Getting back to where we were, and heading south a bit...

...we finally reach Kanoko village! Let's see if Hoteimaru is still here!

We'll make a quick tour first, of course.

Hello traveller, welcome to Kanoko village! Thank you for visiting us!
A weird middle aged man came from somewhere and settled in this village...

Well, we know--Hoteimaru. That's who we came looking for anyway.

A foreigner living at the inn asked me to let him know if someone named Manjimaru shows up here. But I don't even know what this Manjimaru looks like... this foreigner is quite absentminded.

That definitely sounds like Hoteimaru...

A guy came from somewhere and took over the large garden shed... Not sure what's going on there, but nobody wants to approach it because it gives a creepy feeling.

Hmm, more than one thing going on here it seems. We'll check that out also before we leave for sure.

A foreigner with a ridiculously cheerful personality is staying at the inn...

Notice that there's another part of the village across a small bridge!

Hey, do you know anything about "maneki neko" that was at my house? It seems that it was stolen, but... who would even steal something like that?

My barrel and fish basket were stolen! Without that I can't go finishing! How am I going to make any side dishes tonight? It's all the work of that old man at the inn--he has a shifty look in his eyes!
If you go south, you'll reach Naniwa province. There are several ports there, so you always find a lot of foreigners around.

Yeah... Naniwa province (and its main city, Kobe) are quite something, but we'll get there soon!

I don't know where that little brat of mine went... I guess he must be hanging out with that foreigner at the inn!

That old man who came from somewhere else is always creepily wandering around the village during the night...
It's not just use who have had our household stuff stolen, it's been happening to everyone in the village. I'm sure it's the old man from that shed... it must be him stealing things.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here due to the presence of TWO people who are not originally from the village.

There is a tornado on the way to Naniwa province... it's a bit of a problem because you can't get past it.
My precious lantern has been stolen! Without it, I can't go on a rendezvous every night with the grandpa next door!
A tornado has formed since that old man came to the village. I think he's suspicious!

Going across the bridge, there is the (large) garden shed and also one person to talk to!

Beware that old man, he built this shed on my land without permission!

Clearly we need to find out who this other old man is (take a guess), but for now we should head to the inn and see if Hoteimaru is there.

But this gravestone certainly reveals it pretty obvuously who the other guy is:

My beloved wife sleeps here.

All right, to the inn!

A bunch of kids on the left side there...

Hoteimaru! Let's play! Let's play!
Hoteimaru! Teach me English now!
When I grow up I also want to be a foreigner like Hoteimaru!

Well, all right. Since Hoteimaru is standing right there in between all the kids, let's finally talk to him and find out what's going on.

My brother Ebisumaru is coming to Kobe and I need to hurry and meet him there! But the road is blocked by a tornado and I can't get through!
I'm sure this is the doing of the Root Clan! Manjimaru-san, please! Can you do something about it!
Once the tornado is gone, please come and tell me and we'll head to Kobe together!

I truly do apologise once again for not really being able to make come across Hoteimaru's insane way of speaking in a completely mangled mixture of English and Japanese (what he really does is speak mostly in English, but with the random addition of Japanese -masu and -desu suffixes at the ends of the words). So I'm sorry about that, so just try to imagine it in your heads instead.

I'll tell you what. Let's just go into this shed and find out what's going on there. I think we already know who's taken up residence.

Well, looks pretty normal so far... except: the game labels this location as "Miniature Garden Castle" (箱庭城) so I guess technically, it's a Root Clan castle. Although...

Well, anyway, as you can see there is only one way forward and there is a bit of a... I guess you'd call it joke from the game's developers. Being a Root Castle, of course, there are random encounters here, and the joke is that, well, the probability of getting an encounter on every step is pretty much 100%. So traversing through here will take some time as you'll get interrupted by an encounter every half a second or so! Still, it's hard to get annoyed because anyway the place is small and it's all clearly being played as a joke (you don't get any random enemies here that you can't reasonably handle), so you know, just go with it. The one piece of advice is, though: do NOT bother with the chests for now. You can get them later.

After making a few steps, another person shows up from the other side! Of course, it's exactly who you think it is.

What do you think about my miniature garden? It's kind of small and pathetic looking, just like me, right?
But you won't get out of here alive! I promise you, you have no chance of ever getting out!
I can finally pay my respects to my late wife! Now, I want to see you suffer in front of my eyes! I want you to look as pitiful as possible.

Well, all right. Our goal for now is to try and make it over to the other side where he is waiting. As mentioned, the random encounter rate here is pretty silly, so it will definitely take a while to do it, but it should not be something too difficult nevertheless. Most of the enemies here are the same ones you find outside on the overworld anyway.

So we've made it to the top! Now we just go back down the other side.

And a while later, we're finally there!

What to do... I'm sorry but I'm going to be running away again! Call me a coward, it's fine if you shout abuse at me!
Whether you lose today or another day, I will chase you down to the bottom of hell and follow you there! I will challenge you again and again until I kill every last one of you!
I have nothing to lose, and it's all thanks to you! See you later!

He starts to leave, but then...

And after that...

...he just leaves.

So this technically counts as "defeating" a Root Castle, so it does remove the tornado problem that was blocking the way, but unfortunately we DO NOT get a holy sword this time. So yeah.

That was all very weird, but let's go back to Hoteimaru and get ready to journey to Kobe. Somehow, we'll mostly make use of public transport facilities in order to make this journey! Before exiting this place, I should just tell you that all the chests have just pointless stuff in them, and their only purpose is as a distraction that makes it take longer to get through the building.

Outside, Gokuraku has a comment!

But it's going the a bit hard to reciprocate this guy's undying love... as he might actually kill you in your sleep or something like that!

All right, back to the inn, and let's check in with Hoteimaru.

I'm sure my brother Ebisumaru is already waiting in Kobe for a long time! Manjimaru-san! Let's go to Kobe bay together!

Hoteimaru joins the party!

No, not really. He just follows us around, but doesn't participate in fights: he can't attack and is not a target that takes damage. So it's still just four of us when the fights are concerned. We're more here to ensure his safe passage to Kobe than anything else. Also, in reality it's called Osaka bay, rather than Kobe bay, but the cities are next to each other anyway, so...

But as we make our way to Kobe, you will definitely be able to see him at the end there as the fifth person in our group! So our first step is to find a border crossing into Naniwa province, where Kobe is located.

Well, this looks like it.

Sasayama crossing, and as always, only a couple of people to talk to here.

If you continue south along the mountain, you'll reach Arima village. They even have a gondola to ferry people across!

Oh do they now? Last time when we saw a gondole ferrying people across it was in the Ihika people territory. I wonder if we'll come across them again? That would be nice as they have some cool technology!

The tornado in the north has disappeared! So I can finally go to Kanoko village!

Welcome to Naniwa province!

As usual, before we can proceed, we get a short scene from the villains lair!

But do not worry! The holy sword that can cut down the dark orchid is this time located somewhere where Manjimaru and his friends can't go!
Namely, it's at the bottom of the sea!
That's right! The Demonic Sea Castle has regained its majestic appearance from one thousand years ago!
Of course, the Right-handed Garnin is still alive and well, too! That demon is already hard at work, polishing his right hand!

Note on the previous screenshot, Duke Pepe is actually standing there on the right side!

That must have required quite a bit of courage!
Master Yomi! I have a favour to ask of you, please entrust this person to me! I have some ideas...

First of all, under the sea? Whatever, we just need to obtain a submarine, and seeing as we're likely heading into Ihika territory, we shouldn't have any problem finding advanced technology there!

Second, as you can see, unfortunately, we're still not done with the annoyance that is Duke Pepe. But at least he won't bother us any more for the remainder of today's episode, so there's that.

A bit to the south, we see a village with a gondola. This gives us good hope that Ihika people are around! But you can also see a (for once) not hidden tengu's house up there too. So let's just tick that off first!

I just heard a rumour... It seems that Mari, on whom the Fire Clan has alway relied, has falled into the hands of the Root Clan!
So that's quite a problem... We're going to have to do whatever we can to stop Yomi's resurrection! Fire Heroes, you need to hurry up!
Therefore I'll give you this "purple lightning" scroll that I've been protecting! It's very hit or miss, but it might be useful for combat.
But where in the world did the Root Clan hide Master Mari? It must be some safe place as otherwise we could easily sniff it out. Yeah, definitely someplace safe.
It's been a while since I've done this much thinking so my head is starting to hurt. Anyway, if it was me I'd rather eat it than hide it.

Manjimaru obtained the "purple lightning" scroll!

So the purple lightning (紫電) spell hits all enemies for about 100 HP in lightning damage, but as mentioned has low hit rate. You can of course use the spell we got earlier to increase its hit rate if you want.

Let's be on our way.

Of course, outside we find some new enemies, but as you can see the designs are really starting to repeat at this point with just changed colours. These are really garden variety enemies around here, the fact that they are in larger numbers here doesn't matter too much as we have a few free multi target abilities anyway which work well here.

A bit west of the town, you can find this curious clearing in the forest. But not so curious, because...

...it is of course a Ninja hideout, as always.

This Naniwa province is divided into the northern part, where Kobe and Himeji are located and the eastern part which is centered around Sakai. In between the two parts there is a large bay.
It can be complicated to navigate around, so just check the map if you need to.

Sure, good to know. But let's check the map just to get an idea.

Yeah so we're basically here at the southern tip of the biggest Japanese island, Honshu, and as you can see, in order to get from east to west you kind of have to go the long way around across the northern part.

Anyway, let's finally head in here, which is the Arima village we've been told about.

Fire Heroes! This is Arima village, the northern gateway into the Naniwa province. Welcome! The dark orchid here is blooming in the southeastern part of the country, near the Sumiyoshi grand shrine. Please help us!
If you go south, you'll find Himeji town, but the roots of the dark orchid block the entrance so you can't go in...

This is a new one. We've not had a situation before that a big town is completely blocked off like that. We'll see what we can do about that of course.

Manjimaru-san! I heard that Saburou, the Fire Hero from this area who was active one thousand years ago was my age. Is that true? If so, that's amazing! How did he defeat the Root Clan while being just a kid?
No way ! It's the rumoured hero of fire, Man-san and his posse! Please stop by Takarazuka at some point! It will be worth it!

Takarazuka is just the place on the other end of the gondola, so we'll definitely be stopping by there. And indeed it will be worth it as he says, very much so.

Notice also there one of the "mechanical" looking buildings, so we're definitely in Ihika territory here, which is great. I'm sure they have a submarine we can borrow, right?

One more person here...

If you want to get to Kobe, it's directly south from Takarazuka. The simplest way to get to Takarazuka is to take the gondola here.

In a moment.

In the inn here, we can again harass the naked people who came here to enjoy the hot springs!

There are four ancient tombs, called Saburou burial mounds here in Naniwa province. The person named Saburou lived here around 1000 years ago, I heard that he was a Fire Hero.
I came from Kobe! If you want to go to Kobe, use the gondola and then transfer to underground steam railway. You will be there in only a few minutes!

Underground railway, huh? Well, I did mention that we'll be making use of public transport this time to get to Kobe! This part of the country certainly seems more technologically advanced.

Also, those burial mounds are very important.

Let's see what's going on other houses.

Since the lord of Himeji castle had conscripted all the men in Takarazuka as soldiers, the village is now almost completely made up of women. I feel sorry for the men of Takarazuka, but for the men from other places, it's heaven on earth.
My husband was spending most of his salary on that fox from Takarazuka and when that wasn't enough, he even went in debt. Thanks to that, our standard of living has gone down. Maybe I should leave my home and go and work in Takarazuka, too? Then I could take in men and pluck them down to the last hair on their asses, like she did to my husband here too! Ahahahahaha!

I used to be the most beautiful woman in Takarazuka. Men were all swarming around me and I was referred to as "Uruwashi the rose". But now they just call me "Noisy old hag"!

The joke is that "Uruwashi the rose" and "Noisy old hag" sound very similar in Japanese!

The other person here has a similar, but different story!

The women of Takarazuka are of quite some renown. But I was also a famous beauty around here. They used to call me "The White Lily of Arima", but now they just call me "Grey Hair".

These two phrases don't sound anything alike in Japanese.

Anyway, that's about it here, so we'll now go through this queue control area to reach the entrance there. Let's talk to the man first.

Listen guv, if you ride this gondola to Takarazuka, you'll be in heaven on earth! And the ride is even free!

Okay, so the gondola leaves from inside as expected. Let's go in.

The guy behind the counter just sells consumables, but we can talk to the other guy.

As a businessman, I can hardly ask for anything more! No matter whether it rains or the spears are falling from the sky, or the Root Clan is attacking, you can always get across safely on this gondola!

Upstairs we can board, after talking to this fellow there.

There are many public transport options in Naniwa province. But the instructions for use are the same for all of them: simply enter through the open door.

Good advice and so we'll proceed to do just that!

And then we go across, just like that!

Pretty cool, if you ask me.

And here we are, at the other end in Takarazuka!

As we were told, there aren't any men here, so...

Wellllcome to Takarazuka village! Here the dreams of peasants, nobles, samurai and everyone else comes true! Although the truth will depend on the weight of your wallet!
Wellllcome to Takarazuka village! This is the place where gentlemen of all kinds can take a moment to relax!

Well, we won't be taking advantage of that. In fact, the only person who will benefit from us passing though here will be... Kinu!

But, as usual, let's make a quick tour of the place before we proceed on to Kobe.

By the way, the person behind the counter sells consumables, but also a "smiling face" for 0 ryo. If you try to "buy" that, you're told that they are all out. Also, before leaving Arima, I took all our money out of storage, because we'll be spending quite a bit here and also there aren't any money stealing enemies to be encountered for the moment.

Let's see what else is here.

Now, what should I buy? There's even a store specialising in things for women in this village and they have pretty good stuff.

They really do, although it has prices to match, too, unfortunately.

Well, it's Man-san from the Fire Clan, I can easily tell! That intelligent face and the healthy body and that passionate gaze burning with the sense of justice and that hairstyle which can't be immitated by a human. As expected the hero exudes brilliance which cannot be matched by an ordinary person... oh, I think I'm going to swoon!

A few people in the inn, too.

First the person by the entrance:

Actually I can't tell anyone, but I have a secret! Would you like to hear it?
[ Yes. ] / No.
You really want to know?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Ahahaha. So, I'm actually a man. Didn't want to be recruited into the military, so I started wearing women's clothes, but then I ended up liking it and...

Well, good for you. Now let's talk to the first person on the left side.

Hey, Man-san, shall we do a litle dance together?
[ Yes. ] / No.

If you say yes, then everybody in the inn just does a bit of dancing on the spot. There is no point to it at all.

Finally the last person here, this one is a foreigner.

I come to Kobe on a foreign ship. It captain name Ebisumaru! Ebisumaru brother Hoteimaru! Do you know Hoteimaru!
[ Yes. ] / No.
Oh! Hoteimaru very famous!

As you can imagine, this person also speaks in very broken Japanese.

The lord of Himeji castle is absurd. He dug up one of Saburou burial mounds just for fun. He took my father to work as a laborer digging holes, but then took him into the army!
Outwardly, they're all smiling because they're doing business, but behind the scenes all the women in this village are crying... Since all the men were taken by lord Himeji as soldiers, women are left to make a living on their own...

A foreign ship has landed south in Kobe, so there are some people around with blond hair and blue eyes. Well, I don't mind as long as they have money. They will go back to their own country anyway, so there won't be any future trouble with them either.

So like, for a while now this game has been openly talking about women who ended up having to prostitute themselves to earn money. I'm just imagining a (fictional) situation in the 1990s where someone is actually working on localising this game and bringing it to the west. Can you just imagine? There's absolutely no way something like this would have been allowed to stay in the game back in those days. Absolutely no chance.

We sometimes also travel to Kobe on business if we are called upon. Of course, I charge extra travelling fee, but at least travelling to Kobe via the underground railway only takes a couple of minutes, so it's not a problem.
*sob* *sob* Oh, no! You're not supposed to see me like this! But sometimes, I just want to cry when I think of my dad and other male relatives... No! I can't think like this right now! I'm supposed to be working! Work! Money! Money!

There's even one man standing here if you look carefully!

This is heaven! Looks like my travels have come to an end!

Hmm, yeah, whatever. The game certainly decided again to get a bit dark as you can see.

These are two elderly brothers here...

My brother and I owned three warehouses in Kobe until recently. Since we were young, we worked twice as hard as the other people and didn't mind even some dirty work. And all that we had to show for that were the warehouses, so we sold them and bought the house here. And now I'm going to go wild with all these women here! You gotta problem with that?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Well, go to hell! You're not even half as old as we are, you brat! You'll find out soon!

Wow, ok. And the other brother.

According to my grandpa, the people who started the Kobe town were living undergound. The locals call them the Ihika people. They're very mysterious.

Signs of Ihika technlogy were unmistakable for sure, but it's good to have it confirmed. A submarine is looking more and more likely by the minute.

Anyway, so, as you've seen already many times, shops have normally signs on them indicating what kind of stuff they sell and so on. Here we have a new sign on one of the shops which hasn't appeared before, it's the character for "woman" (女), so I guess this must be the shop that sells goods intended for women. Let's go in and have a look.

Before we start shopping, we'll first talk to that guy there.

A woman begged me to come shopping here. Apparently there are various kimonos and other things which are only sold here. I guess you're going to buy something for that woman travelling with you, aren't you? They spend so much of our money... but then again by spending money they end up looking prettier, so... he he he.

Expectedly, lots of creeps in this place. But we do indeed want to buy something for the "woman travelling with us", so let's see what the shopkeeper has to say.

Our store has a selection of products selected by women and for women! Would you like to have a look?

Yes, indeed!

So there's only a few things here, everything is as you might expect, equipment for Kinu. Although the pricess are steep, there's actually some good stuff here, so we're going to spend a fair chunk of money.

First these "Moonlight Shoes" for just 33,800 ryo!

Yes, that's a whole +22 in agility!

And then this "Purple Breath Robe" for an eye watering 142,000 ryo.

But... it's a crazy +31 in defence! So well worth the money! There's actually only three other pieces of body armour in the game that have more defence than this, and all three of them are for Kinu!

That's all we're going to get here at this point. Thanks to us doing the red chest, Kinu already has the "Moon Helm" which is better than the "Morning Sun Veil" you can buy here. If you're lacking the money for the "Purple Kimono" you can get instead the "Moon Reflection Kimono" for 100,000 which not as good, but still pretty good.

What I'm saying is: when you're playing the game, if you don't have enough money when you arrive here, go out and grind for money so you can buy this stuff for Kinu. There's no alternative, really.

And well, now it's time to continue our journey to Kobe. The railway station is, of course, undergound, and we access it through this entrance here!

The train platform is downstairs, but there is a person loitering here!

Jipang's underground steam train is super! I've travelled all over the world and this is the best technology I've seen!

The actual train is waiting downstairs. Everyone refers to it as a "steam" train, but it's clearly something quite a bit more advanced if you ask me. In any case, looks pretty slick.

This underground steam train and the building you entered through was built by some weirdos who live in the underground of Kobe!

Yeah, it's pretty clearly the Ihika guys as I've already said a few times. It will be surely interesting to talk to them, as always! So let's board the train!

And then shortly after...

...we arrive at Kobe, as promised!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Let's see what's going on here.

Brother! Are you Manjimaru-san? It seems that the people from Ihika village have been looking for you to discuss something important!

Yes. One of the main reasons for coming here.

But for now, let's just head outside and see what's up here. We should be on the lookout for Ebisumaru, presumably he is somewhere around the Kobe port.

First, let's actually head outside to the overworld so we can get our bearings.

Checking the map...

...we can see that the train has taken us pretty much directly south from where we were. It doesn't even look like it would be so difficult to walk, but I guess you save some time and it doesn't cost anything anyway, so...

So all right, back into Kobe then.

It's a decently sized place, it has a proper cemetery... The gravestones are an absolute nightmare of wordplay and kanji-play hiding a big joke, but more on that shortly.

...and even a port. That guy standing by the ship looks suspiciously similar to Hoteimaru, so that's probably Ebisumaru. But let's leave that for after we've talked to the citizens!

So let's start back here anyway!

I never expected to meet a Fire Hero! The Ihikas from the underground are looking for you. Please excuse the inconvenience, but go and talk to them!

Yes, yes, yes. In a moment. But for now the other guy hanging about there at the bottom of the screen!

In Jipang the sea scary... Monster sunk my ship... Can't go back to my country.

As mentioned, there are a lot of foreigners here who don't speak the language properly.

In Naniwa province there are four Saburou burial mounds: the chest mound, the belly mound, the hand mound and the foot mound. They surround the bay.

I guess a bit of a hint on how to find those, altough we'll be visiting the first one already today.

Here is the entrance into the Ihika underground village, but also two people to talk to.

Before the ghost vortex sunk my ship, I saw an ancient tomb on Awaji island... surely that must be where the monster lives!

If you look back to the screenshot with the map, you can see the (large) Awaji island. It does exist also in real life in approximately that spot.

I a foreginer! There a black ship in the port. The black ship captained by Ebisumaru. Ebisumaru brother of Hoteimaru looking forward to see him very much.

The "black ship" is not a ship painted black. The "black ship" (kurofune) is a term used to describe foreign ships coming to Japan from overseas, esp. between 16th and 19th centuries.

A guy standing on the docks...

How about it! This is Kobe, a big port in Jipang where people of all cultures mix together!

Surprisingly there's not a lot of people out on the streets here, but we'll check out some of the buildings of course.

There are a few of these warehouses here, but not anybody inside them. Usually on the upper floor most of them have a chest containing a consumable. This one just has a stupid cursed piece of equipment (the blonde wig, which we've already seen a long time ago back in Kikugorou's castle).

Although in one of the shops, there is actually a person.

"I love you, Manjimaru!" A guy named Pepe asked me to tell you this when I see you!

Ugh, what is the Root Clan even doing with Pepe any more...

In the inn, surprisingly nobody on the ground floor (except the owner, of course).

But we can find two people upstairs, though.

Himeji town is great for us travelling salesmen... but now the roots of the dark orchid are blocking the entrance. I wonder how people of Himeji are doing... do they have enough to eat?
I heard that a dark orchid has bloomed over that Suimyoshi grand shrine... what are they doing to our god of commerce?

Some of the warehouses do have people inside.

Hey, hey hey! I'm going to earn some money and go to Takarazuka! Let's all go to Takarazuka!
I'm not earning money to go to Takarazuka like that guy! I'm going to save up money and get on a ship and sail the world! It's my own Takarazuka in my mind!

Those guys from Sakai won't defeat us! Spain! 'merica! China! Tagalog! Russia! Here I come!

He mixes Tagalog there in among the countries, but, ok, I guess?

The village of Sakai in the southeast is competing with Kobe in trade with foreign countries. It seems that the merchants here are quite anxious as those up and coming guys from Sakai are catching up fast!

This was before the dark orchids bloomed, but the lord from Himeji castle was digging at the Saburou burial mound in the northeast and found something there... Why do people with such power get so bored and start doing weird things like that?
There are many foreigners in this port, I wonder where they all come from... Oh wait, you're short and with a weird haircut! That guy Duke Pepe has been asking about you!

Well that was a bit random!

Like in every big place there's more than one inn, so here's the second one.

As I coming here to port roaring torando in the southern sea I see.
Seen from the ship the construction of oriental castle on east cape from Kobe port.

Uh, ok, I guess hints on locations? Would definitely help if they didn't talk like Yoda.

In one of the storage rooms, we find a ninja.

Master Manjimaru! I am a ninja from Iga village! We are continuing our investigation, but so far we haven't been able to locate a Root Castle on this territory! So that only leaves the sea, but... Also, the three sisters are working in this area to help you, I'm sure you will run into them sooner or later!

Actually sooner, but we already know from the "villains lair" scene that the castle is indeed this time at the bottom of the sea.

Sakai village will buy stuff for higher price! What's wrong with Kobe?
I saw it! The ship I was on was swallowed by a whirlpool! But I saw a roof inside the vortex! It must have been an optical illusion, right?
This guy over there is making no sense at all!

No, no, he's making a lot of sense when you know that the Root Castle is in the sea!

Here in the weapon shop there is one other guy to talk to.

The Seigaiha sword which is in this shop is also sold overseas! But there it's sold under the name "Blue Wave Sword"!

This is one of those "where do I even begin with the explanation" jokes. Actually for this one I will need a visual aid too, so let's start. First of all, "seigaiha" (青海波) in Japanese when read literally based on each kanji individually.can be understood to mean something like "blue sea wave". But in actuality this is a proper word which is the name for a typical Japanese-style wave pattern design, like this one:

So I guess the joke is that they just literally translated the name for overseas sales without bothering with the real meaning of the word. Anyway, moving on.

The name kobe used to be written with the character for "head" and it seems the Ihika gave it the name. Today, the name Kobe remains, but the letters have changed. It's a great name anyways.

Obscure Kanji pronunciation jokes? Why not! I'm here to explain as always. The character which means "head" in Japanese is . Like other kanji, this one too has a couple of different ways to pronounce it, one of which is, somehow, "kobe". I don't think you'll ever run into this pronunciation in real life, but well, you will definitely find it in a dictionary, so. The name Kobe is of course written as 神戸 and I'm pretty sure it was never written with the character for head. That's just an invention in the game.

The Ihika guys will teach you whatever you like, but when they ask questions like "Shall I replace your arm?" or "Shall I replace your leg?" they get a bit of a scary look!

The people who live underground in this town are very nice--they built things like the steam train and the gondola! They really would give you the clothes off their back too without you even asking! It's the kind of spirit we need more of today!

All right... the cemetery, finally.

To my ancestors, who crossed the seven seas and ran out of energy at the eastern end of the world in the midst of their task... may they rest in peace!

Ok, now.

Some of the graves have names of the persons buried underneath, written in kanji. However, by carefully choosing which pronunciations to use for each kanji, you get references to the names of various game characters.

So here are the explanations for each name and which game it's from:

1. The first one is
林句, but this is easy, as =rin and =ku, so together "rinku", so this is just Link from various Zelda games.
2. Second we have
麻里魚, which we can pronounce as "mariuo", so that's Mario.
3. Next is
呂戸, which is "roto", so Loto (or Erdrick for the western release) from Dragon Quest.
4. Now the next one is hard:
悪胡瓜. Actually this one means "evil cucumber" if you read it literally, but as for pronunciation, with a lot of straining you can come up with "warukyuuri", and well, you'll be forgiven for not knowing that this a reference to the title character from the 1986 Famicom game Valkyrie's Adventure (Valkyrie no Bouken) and its sequel!
5. Next one is the grave of
嗚呼佐亜. Normally this would come out as "okosea", but that clearly means nothing so we'll have to strain again to make this into "aasaa" which is kind of close to how Japanese would say the name "Arthur", so this is a reference to Ghosts 'n Goblins (first released in Japan under its original title Makaimura/Demon World Village) whose main character is named Arthur.
6. Next one is another easy one:
死門. Just by using the default pronunciations for both characters, this comes out as "shimon", so this is Simon from Castlevania.
7. Next one is
亜土留 which also easily comes out as "adoryuu", so this is Adoru from Y's games.
8. And the last one is
競押王子. The last two characters actually just mean "prince", so the name is only the first two. Again we can force it into "seriou", so this would be Prince Serios (or Logan) from Dragonslayer: The Legend of Heroes.

And well, congrats if you got through all that!

As a final note, I'll mention that when they were doing the GameCube/PS2 remake, someone got a bit of cold feet, so all of this was removed from the game, although surprisingly the version of this game included on the Japanese version of TurboGrafx mini does still include it intact because it is based on this original release and not the remake.

Anyway, after this long detour, it's finally time to go talk to Ebisumaru back at his ship!

Here. Hoteimaru is understandably excited!

My friend Manjimaru-san, this is my older brother Ebisumaru, captain of this foreign ship!

I always take care of Hoteimaru! Hoteimaru's amigos are my amigos!
If there is anything I can do to help, I will do it!

His Japanese is ever worse than Hoteimaru's although I'm not really sure how that's even possible.

In any case, we don't really have anything to ask him to help us with, since we don't even know anything about things like where the castle might be or such. So the time has come to go down into the Ihika village and as you know, lots of lore always gets dispensed when we talk to those guys (and not to mention advanced technology, hint hint submarine).

But before that, let's just stop briefly at the equipment shop.

We'll buy these "XXL Straw Sandals" for (who else) Gokuraku. One of poor guy's few equipment upgrades in this game.

But hey it's +9 in agility, so actually pretty good compared to how his upgrades normally go!

So now let's head in here.

Hey guys!

The heroic legend of Master Saburou, the hero from a thousand years ago, is often told by the elders, but I never expected in my life to actually meet such a person! Please come in! We've been awaiting your arrival anxiously!
Our ancestors met a Fire Clan youth in this part of the country. He was said to be smaller, weaker and less skilled than any other Fire Clan member they've ever seen. Except... his competitive spirit was immense. He asked our ancestors to modify his body in ways even the Root Clan had never attempted! And thus he gained enough power to become one of the original seven Fire Heroes! Yes, that was Saburou!

Thank you for the explanation, but now let's take the lift down.

So here we only have a few connected rooms with a bunch of people to talk, so it's going to be somewhat of a lore dump, like it always is with Ihika.

Kobe was originally a piece of land that our ancestors received from Fire Clan. At that time, it was a nameless village. After, Saburou's head was buried here, so it was named Kobe because of that. Over the years, only the pronunciation "Kobe" remained, but the writing has changed. However, people's admiration for Saburou still remained!

We've already discussed about the spelling issue a few minutes ago.

Room number 2.

In this province there is a dark orchid, but the location of the Root castle is unknown... But it must be hiding somewhere, so be careful! Those guys are plotting something!
Our ancestors split into several groups, to keep the Ihika bloodline going. Apparently they escaped from the Root lands a thousand years ago. Apart from those who settled here in Naniwa, others crossed the borders. I heard that they ended up in Ise province.

Yes they did, and we've met them already!

Room number 3.

It seems that Master Saburou's final moment was a heroic one: he committed a suicide attack taking with him also 30,000 Root soldiers! Apparently his body ended up in so many pieces that even with the technology of our ancestors, it was not possible to reassemble him. Therefore the pieces of his body were brought back to Naniwa and were placed in four burial mounds.
I believe that the Root clan, while they were searching for Yomi underground, also managed to find Mari, too. Just as we fear the resurrection of Yomi, so Root Clan must be equally afraid of Mari's resurrection in return. So they will have to confine Master Mari somewhere far out of reach, so that the Fire Clan can't get to it.

Room number 4 has a whoooole bunch of people in it, so let's go in order.

Apparently, our ancestors were in the process of building a multipurpose armoured tank named "Speedbird" for Master Saburou, but... they stopped it when Saburou died. It seems that the "Speedbird" was buried together with Master Saburou's body. Perhaps, even today, the secred of the "Speedbird" can be discovered in the four burial mounds.

Well, that spells it out pretty clearly, but things don't exactly fit. I mean how is an armoured tank going to reach under the sea? And why is it named "Speedbird"?

If you want to go to one of the burial mounds, it's probably best to go on one of the foreign ships.

Yeah, good thing Ebisumaru is here!

Our ancestors used a simple trick to protect Master Saburou's graves. Those who do not know the password cannot enter; so I will tell you the secret word. It's "deroren", a beautiful word in Ihika language, which means "hope for the future".

It's pretty much all the way since the beginning of the game since this was mentioned, but "Deroren" is also the name of one of the three sages, the one who likes to tinker with mechanical contraptions, so it means that he is of Ihika ancestry (remember that Ihika people were originally part of the Root Clan too).

Please be careful if you enter the burial mounds. There will be some mechanisms in place to prevent outside invaders from entering. However, knowing the people of Ihika, they must have also built in a way to switch them off.

That's good to know.

It is recorded that the blueprints for the "Speedbird" were placed in Saburou's belly mound on Awaji island. I'm pretty sure if you bring us the plans we could still build it for you.

Interesting, but then... what's in the other three mounds?

It seems that the "Speedbird" was a tank designed by our ancestors to be able to move both on land and on and under water too!

Ah, well, here's our submarine. Although I expect probably some complications here, but we'll see.

Before we leave, there's also two chests here. One contains just a consumable, but the other...

...the other has a spell in it! The echo (山彦) spell allows whichever of our party it's cast on to reflect back 50% damage to the enemy. So this is the same effect as that "mirror" item we've also been carrying since the beginning of the game. So you can potentially now free up an inventory slot by ditching that mirror since the spell can be cast on anybody and the mirror was only usable by the one person who was holding it!

All right, let's go back outside...

...and straight to Ebisumaru, who I'm sure will be happy to transport us to Awaji island!

You want to go to Awaji island, right?
[ Yes. ] / No.

Definitely.

Ooo-kaaaay! Let's get this ship out!

We don't have to steer the shop ourselves, Ebisumaru just takes us straight there. It's also a sneaky way to prevent from using the ship to sequence break, so well done developers of this game, I almost didn't notice what's really going on here.

In particular, I could say that they don't want us to be able to access prematurely whatever that metal structure is that we can see there on the opposite coast from Kobe! We know of course that it isn't the Root Castle we're looking for since that is under the sea, so... what could it possibly be?

Anyway, after a short trip, we land on Awaji island, directly in front of the burial mound. Let's have a look.

There's some sort of electrical barrier preventing entry, but I'm sure that's easily solved with the password. However, before we can even reach that password entry panel on the right...

...well, it's a boss fight out of nowhere! And because having a double boss fight is just not metal enough, now we have three at the same time. Luckily, their HP is adjusted accordingly. So these three handsome gentlement are from left to right: Darkness Assassin, Shadow Assassin and Night Assassin! Yeah it's definitely a little bit random this time. Nevertheless, we're not getting into the burial mound without defeating them!

So this fight is not really super easy, but also doesn't really require much of a strategy. The only real question is which order should you fight these guys in? That's actually kind of easy to answer, at least one part of it. You definitely definitely want to start with the middle one. He has by far the strongest attack but also the lowest defence stat of all three of them, so you really can and should get rid of him quickly to reduce the amount of damage you're talking. And you really do want to be careful of his attacks because they can crit, hitting you for upwards of 200 HP damage! After that you probably want to go with the one on the left since he has the next strongest defence, and then finally the one on the right because there you won't be doing as much damage in one hit.

Other than that, Kabuki's ice dragon works well here, especially agains the middle one, but you can use other stuff like the new "echo" spell to reflect some damage (or alternately "kongo" to reduce it, or also Kabuki's buff--it certainly took a while to get to this point, but at least now we are finally a bit spoiled for choice for buff and debuff options!).

One thing of note is that the three buff speels that Kabuki has (speed, attack, defence for everyone), the three of them also can cast (one each) so you may have to use our spell with the "dispel" effect on them just to remove it when it happens.

Other than that, not much else to be said here except take care that you can endure the critical hits they will sometimes do to you.

After this, we can go and enter the password on that panel.

As mentioned, the password is "deroren".

And the way inside is clear!

So this thing is a bit like a maze of corridors. There are a few chests to be found in the maze, so I'll let you know if anything interesting pops up!

It's quite a maze here!

But our main goal is to find these stairs leading down to the lower level!

Lower floor is full of these statues. If you walk in between a matched pair, they fire lasers at you which causes a lot of damage...

...so, uh, don't do it. You generally want to find a way to walk between the backs of two statues.

Kind of like this.

In one of the corners, we find a switch! It turns off the statues.

Also, we find these stairs, leading further down!

Down here, there are several narrow corridors...

...with a chest at the end of each one.

Oh, right, there are random encounters here, but the rate is quite low so it's not a big problem. The only thing these guys have is lots of HP and also the fact that they will defend each other so you can never be sure which one you will damage, whith might keep in this case both of them around a bit longer than you would like.

This one is quite unremarkable, so we just move on. Well, be a little careful as they can paralyse your party members (one at a time).

And so is this one.

And then finally...

...we find what we came here for!

Hm-hm...
Mmm-mm...
Oh, I see! This is very very amazing! The Ihika technlogy! Great! Marvelous! Incredible!
Manjimaru-san! Take this blueprint and make sure you don't lose it!

That's it! Let's head back outside!

Actually, before we head out, there was also this one chest tucked away in the corner.

Manjimaru obtained the Giant's Shoes!

That sounds like something Gokuraku could make use of! Let's see...

Oh, yeah. That's a +9 in agility for him, not bad at all.

Now we can head out.

Except... things start to happen very fast!

The end result is our heroes washed out on a shore somewhere, apparently saved by our friends the three ninja ladies, whom you can see standing there.

But OF COURSE this Root castle is in the shape of a starfish. I mean, how else could it have been, right?

Where are we? And what should we do next?

Also, looking back on that screenshot... aren't we missing someone?

Those are certainly questions which will be answered next time!

In the meantime, have fun and take care!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That intro for the STARFISH CASTLE really reminded me of older anime in a great way, not exactly sure which anime but it just kind of had that vibe, with the mix of camp and serious and feeling like it takes some cues from non-animated TV.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If this update had ended with the first post, I would've made a joke about going to Kanto.

The Speedbird sounds cool, can't wait for Manjimaru to abandon it somewhere.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jipan has a surprisingly robust public transportation network in certain places.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Previously, we picked up Hoteimaru and travelled with him to Kobe to meet up with his brother Ebisumaru. Along the way it turned out that Naniwa province is full of Ihika people. Then we found out that the next Root Castle we need to visit is actually underwater! But we have also been told that various parts of a supposedly amphibious tank are located in the four differend burial mounds of the legendary Fire Hero by the name of Saburou, from one thousand years ago. To start with, we obtained the plans for the tank in one of the four locations, which was then actually promptly destroyed by the individual going by the name of Right-Handed Garnin, another one of the Root Clan henchmen.

In any case, at the end of the last episode, we found ourselves washed out on a shore somewhere in Naniwa province, presumably rescued by the three ninja ladies (as usual). If you count the people on the screen you can also easily see that Hoteimaru is missing, so hopefully he hasn't been lost to the sea. But let's see what happens now!

Um, what? No, we don't suffer from amnesia or anything like that!

You would have died otherwise! Manjimaru, can you really not do anything without us having to help you?

...when Manjimaru-san was about to be swallowed up by the whirlpool, she was the first one to jump in!
Honestly, I wish she would be more honest with her feelings, because she's usually the one who worries the most!
Anyway, we'll help you again, so don't worry, but try not to be so reckless, all right? See ya!

And as usual, they leave as quickly as they came.

But all right, let's get our bearings. First, let's have a look at the map.

So, as it turns out we are in a place called Kishiwada, in the far southern part of Naniwa province. It's actually a bit interesting situation on the map, because there are a couple of areas where there is no bridge across a river, making them not really accessible by walking. Of course the fast travel still works, but you can only fast travel to towns you've already visited on foot. But we'll see what happens.

For now, let's get back into the village and talk to the few people that are here.

Hey, you're the guys who just got saved from drowning in the sea, right? Check out your belongings to make sure that you didn't lose anything!
Have you been to Sakai? I went there for the first time a while ago and it was amazing! It seems that more foreign ships land there nowadays than in Kobe. There are some rare items for sale there!

Well, ok, I'm sure we can find something to buy, although I expect the prices to be "rare" too. Although to be fair, we have reached that time in every JRPG where you suddenly realise you're being showered in money. In fact most random battles nowadays give us like 1000+ ryo a piece.

About our belongings. In fact, as it turns out, in that whole situation, the Speedbird's plans were lost to sea! But maybe we'll figure something out.

Dark orchid has bloomed in Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine, north of Sakai... that's bad, right?

I will never see something this amazing in my life! The Awaji island was swallowed whole by the whirlpool!

You are from the Fire Clan right? I've heard that story! Also, a bit east of the river is the Saburou chest burial mound--I think that has something to do with you, right? I guess it's an ancient thing.
The three women who saved you... what kind of relationship do you have with them, Manjimaru-san? Forgive me for asking but... which one is your favourite? Hanabi? Matsuri? Or Mikoshi?

Thanks to the dark orchid growing at Sumiyoshi, the shrine has been greatly weakened...
A little bit north from this Kishiwada village is Sakai town. It's a prosperous place full of goods, money and foreigners!
Hey, hey, look at my cute clothes! My mum bought them the other day in Sakai!

I heard that a weird foreigner has washed up in Sakai the other day! He speaks Japanese in a bizarre way and I think his name was Hotate or Hokki or something like that...?

Oh, good. Looks like Hoteimaru has survived!

In any case, that's everything here, so let's head out.

First of all, from the ship (oh, actually what happened to Ebisumaru?) we managed to glimpse what looked like a building made of metal. Since we're now in the right place, let's go and quickly check that out first.

On the way, we can see another burial mound across the river...

...and also the location of the dark orchid, too.

Of course we also get accosted by some enemies while going there, but what can you do. However, the new enemy is quite weak and has no special abilities whatsoever, so no problem.

Well, here it is, but it doesn't seem like we can do anything with it. Looks afwully like a Root Castle though, if you ask me. I guess we'll have to leave it for later then.

So let's move on for now.

Returning back south, we can see a town on a little island connected to the mainland via a bridge. Very cool, but this also happens to be Sakai. So let's go in there and try to find Hoteimaru.

Also, from the end of this peninsula, you can actually see the whirlpool. I guess once we obtain a submarine we need to go in there somehow.

Anyway, back to Sakai.

Well, that does look nice.

Manjimaru-san, it's you! Welcome to Sakai! Hoteimaru-san and the others are waiting for you in the warehouse in the back!

Good. But first, we have a town to explore and another person here to talk to. You can tell he's a foreigner because of the hat!

After Mr. Manji left Kobe I transported some Ihika guys on my ship here to Sakai!

Let's just go in the inn.

I am miko from the Sumiyoshi shrine! Our shrine has been overrun by the dark orchid! Please help us!

This inn also has an upstairs, too!

There's a half built castle on the northern cape... I guess some lord must be building it in opposition to the Root Clan. I'm not sure how much it will help, this late in the game...

Yeah I'm also wondering what that castle is.

You had bad luck at the Saburou's belly mound, but I guess you'll be visiting the others too. Hope it goes better for you there.

Manjimaru-san! You're not going to let that flower bloom in our dear Sumiyoshi shrine! Use the Speedbird to deal a decisive blow to the Root Clan!
We can't afford to lose the Speedbird after all the money we spent building it! We need to beat this Demon Sea Castle or whatever it is! But can the Speedbird dive into the sea?

Well, that IS the question. So far we've been told that it's a tank, which are not generally know for being able to dive to the bottom of the sea. But who knows. Also... we lost the plans, so how... did they build it?

There are a couple of warehouses here too, those are the buildings with big doors. But this is not the one where Hoteimaru is waiting for us.

Oh mai gad! My friend Ebisumaru's ship was washed up in pieces on the beach! My friend must have gotten called up by the gods! You must defeat the enemy immediately!
Dark orchid blooming at Sumiyoshi shrine has completely killed the trade and the merchants are furious! I guess that's why they spent so much money to build that tank, I've never seen them spend like that!

Huh, so they already built the tank then, huh?

Rumour has it that the lord of Himeji has stolen the Wind Spirit Mechanism from the Saburou foot mount and is keeping it hidden away! I mean it's just plain looting, right? I don't think that a ruler of a province should be engaging in such business...

Ah, a "wind spirit mechanism", whatever could that be?

Over here is the equipment shop (武) but we'll stop there a bit later when we have more money! As expected, for rare equipment, the prices are also appropriate.

Thank you thank you thank you! I am a great person from Jipang! My name is Gonzales Yamada!
I married this person! I wore a fluttery dress and the whole village gave us their blessing!

Oook. Sure thing.

Anyhow, I was working on assembling the Speedbird vehicle under the directions of the two Ihika people... I can't imagine what this will be used for. It has a few tricks for sure... It's a land vehicle, right?

Weeeeel, we hope not, acually or at least not only!

I helped the two Ihikas build that Speedbird contraption. There were many parts like I've never seen before, so it took a bit of effort! But in the spirit of at true craftsman, I managed to finish it and I literally cried the tears of joy when it was done!

Here we have two more people!

In the warehouse in the back, that foreigner has gathered a group of craftsmen and they are rushing to build some kind of thing that looks like a bulky two-wheeled wagon!
My and my fellow carpenters were invited to work on a big castle on the northern cape... but something didn't feel right, so we refused!

I think we should go to the warehouse and find out what's been going on there.

They have drawings of tanks on the back wall!? Anyway, let's first talk to the two Ihika people.

To be able to build the Speedbird vehicle which our ancestors dreamed up a thousand years ago also feels to me like a dream! But it's all thanks to the friend Hoteimaru here who managed to flawlessly memorise the plans for it!

Ah, so that's how they did it while we had the plans all this time with us (and subsequently lost them too)!

The Speedbird is still not perfect. Unfortunately we haven't been able to bring out even half of its performance yet. The chest, foot and hand burial mounds of Saburou should allow the Speedbird to be further improved! If you visit the other three burial mounds you should be able to obtain three spirit mechanisms.

Well, the foot mound has already been looted, but the other two yes, I suppose.

And then, of coruse, our friend Hoteimaru is here too!

I knew I was going to be seeing you again, so I have a present prepared that's waiting for you here!
I wrote down from memory the Speedbird plans that you showed me back there and with Sakai's money and Ihika's brains cooperating we were able to finish it!
Manjimaru-san! With your hand, please push! That red button! Push! Push!

I like how you're led to assume that Hoteimaru is a bumbling idiot because he doesn't speak the language well, but in actuality, he's come through for us already more than once!

This red button here. Let's push! Push!

That... is really a tank. Why the heck is it named the Speedbird then?

Let's go, Manjimaru-san! In Mr. Saburou's chest burial mound there is a power-up device!

Ok, ok.

Hoteimaru has joined the party! Again!

Like before, he's just there for show but does not actually participate in the party in any way.

Anyway...

...after leaving the town, we find our tank waiting for us outside!

As you can imagine, a vehicle like this certainly does have an extra attack command in battle, in this case it's "shelling" (砲撃) and it hits all enemies for around 100 HP damage.

We already saw the burial mound previously which is right next door.

Just cross over this bridge and go a little south...

...and here we are. The tank can't go inside so we'll have to walk from here.

The password to disable the barrier is "deroren", the same as always.

Also like before, it's a small maze of corridors, so in the interest of brevity, we'll focus only on important parts.

As expected, there are also enemies here. This one has strong defence, but not much more to it.

Anyway, staircase leading down!

This is again a big open area with the robot statues with laser eyes.

But no problem, because here is the switch to turn them off. In this big room there are also a couple of chests. Like this one.

As you can imagine, this is an equipment piece for Gokuraku.

Yeah, that's defence +16! Very good!

But we go further down!

Another big room here.

But oh no it's full of deadly robots! You don't really want to approach them, because...

Nothing about these guys makes sense, however they have higher attack and defence stat the rest of the enemies in this area, so quite tough for us. It is however doable so if you want to grind, then you might want to come here for it because of course they give a lot of money and EXP. Be careful though as they can cast a a strong fire spell and call up additional allies--figting more than one at the same time might be a touch of a problem!

Mostly you want to reach this chest here.

Well, it's not the Wind Spirit Mechanism we've been told about, but it'll do for now I guess.

There's also another useful chest here!

Manjimaru obtained Hiruko's Sword!

Hiruko is one of the names for the Shinto god of commerce and trade. I say one of the names, because the other is "Ebisu", the same one which gave the name to Ebisumaru! Who we still hope is somehow alive. So I'll give this weapon to Kabuki:

It's a cool +16 in attack power, so why not. It also has an additional effect; if you recall, in this game your HP/MP recovers slowly while walking around, and so this sword when equipped, speeds up this recovery by a factor of 2!

Also, as you recall Kabuki's original sword is the one which can also cast a powerful fire spell on a group of enemies when used as an item, so now that it's free, I'll shuffle it over to Kinu. Of course she is not able to attack in battle due to her chains, but... she can use items, so due to that, she's still able to use it like that to cast the spell! This should help a lot as we have a very tough boss fight coming up soon. Two, actually.

So that's pretty much all here, so...

...let's get back to our tank!

Anyway, so you might be wondering what is this "Wave Spirit Mechanism". Actually you can go back to Hoteimaru's warehouse and they'll explain it to you. But to save time, I'll just show you when we get to use it the first time.

But for now, let's head to the next burial mound (the third one).

This one is just a few steps east of Takarazuka, so I've fast travelled back there.

Coming inside, we can see that the barrier is already disabled. So it seems that this ie the one where lord Himeji has already taken (stolen?) the Speedbird part from. Nevertheless, let's have a look around, maybe there is other stuff to be found here.

It's the same kind of maze of hallways as usual.

Some interestingly named enemies here, too. They are again not too much trouble.

A staircase...

...and a room of laser eye robots, of course.

Again going further down.

And over here, four chests. One of them is empty, presumably where the Speedbird part would have been. But one of the others is interesting.

So the name is probably unclear, but this is actually a weapon. A "jitte" (十手) is a weapon commonly used by police in Japan during the Edo period (17th-19th century). It looks like this:

By Samuraiantiqueworld - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10403229

In any case, we'll equip this on Manjimaru, for a +10 in attack power. This frees up his Bone Sword, but of course since it has the crazy broken MP recovery ability, we're not going to sell it. Instead I'll pass it on to Gokuraku. Of course, he can't equip it, but like Kinu before, he CAN use it as item in battle to cast the MP recovery on one party member, which is all we really need! The Jitte itself does not have any special abilities when used as item.

A bit further in, we find this! The normal chest only has a consumable, but it looks like we've found our fourth and final red chest! We are more than capable now, so let's go for it!

Between the fire-spell sword, Kabuki's ice dragon and the new sword for Manjimaru, we literally decimate this boss this time around.Let's see what we get for our effort, though!

Manjimaru obtained the Shadow Armour!

This one will go to Manjimaru for a +17 in defence! It's important to protect Manjimaru as if he's knocked out in battle you're sent back to the nearest town and have to go through the dungeon or whatever again. For other characters, they just get revived after the battle is done (or you can use that silly expensive item to revive them in battle if you want).

And that is all in here. We didn't get the Speedbird part, but it was quite worthwhile otherwise for the equipment upgrades, I think!

All righty then, we're back south near Sakai and also back in our tank! Let's go and find the last burial mound.

It's a bit north from the orchid.

Except, there's a problem. There's a river here but there are no bridges to cross over!

No problem! We will activate our Wave Spirit Mechanism, and...

...we can cross over easily. Using the Wave Spirit Mechanism on our tank, it transforms into a vehicle that can go on water! And that does also include the sea. The only little annoyance is that it's not automatic. You have to manually use the item to transform it (and also to transform it back to be able again to go on land), but since this is not a real-time game, that's not a real problem.

This allows us to reach the fourth and last burial mound!

As always, we have to deactivate the barrier by entering the password.

It looks similar to others, as expected.

This one is a little bigger than the others, so there are a couple of different staircases you can take to the lower floor.

But this staircase leads to a part of the basement where there is nothing useful to be found.

But in return, you can run into this particular enemy formation. I can tell you right now, you won't be surviving this one.

You actually want this staircase down instead.

This looks more like the place we're looking for!

You know the drill already with the switch.

Before we proceed, there's also an important chest here!

Idaten (or Skanda in the original Sanskrit) is one of the Buddhist guardian deities, also known as a particularly swift runner. The shoes, however will be given to Kabuki, because...

...well, it's a +13 in agility! These burial mounds really have some high level equipment just lying around, huh?

As a technical note, it's actually somewhat important to keep up with your agility stat and not just because of how many turns you will get in battle and the ability to dodge attacks. In the calculation formula, you will actually suffer a penalty in damage you deal if your agility is too low compared to your attack power. Vice versa does also apply; you will be granted a slight increase in damage you deal if you agility is high compared to your attack power. Here of course I'm talking about a character's total attack/agility stats and not just the increases granted by the equipment they have on them.

Actually before we move on, here is a moderately long tangent so feel free to skip it!

On the previous screenshot you can also see a funny spelling quirk. The name "Idaten" should be written in kanji as
韋駄天 but is a very uncommon kanji, which the authors of this game didn't expect the target audience to be able to recognise/read, so the name is written in the game as イ駄天 where the first kanji is just written out phonetically as ("i"). There's been a few instances like this in the game already. This reminds me of that time where a game I was playing here just casually used the kanji without any kind of explanation (that one is also a very rarely used kanji representing "monme", an Edo period currency and weight unit). It was even funnier later when I watched that part of the game in a commentated Japanese LP and the LPer was just completely stumped and had no idea what it means nor how to read it. That last one is also in the relatively smaller group of kanji which were created in Japan and do not exist in China.

All right, before I put you to sleep, let's continue exploring here.

As usual, we go downstairs.

Ugh. This again.

If you go straight through, you can switch them off here.

Even switched off robots will trigger a fight if you come too close, so be careful.

Anyway, here are some chests! The important one is on the right side.

So another upgrade for our tank! Again you can go back to Sakai warehouse to find out what this is for, but I'll just show you.

I've driven us over to the coast.

We'll activate our Wave Spirit Mechanism to be able to drive on the water surface.

Yeah, of course here too, there are random encounters. Despite somewhat high HP, this one is quite weak.

But hey, look what we found. A tengu's hut, which can only be accessed from the sea as it's surrounded by mountains on all other sides. How about that.

This one actually has things to say that are quite a bit more interesting than usual!

Rumour has it that the demons of Mt. Ooe has been subjugated. Apparently it was done by the Root Clan followers, whose leader is now the lord of the Silver Castle which has appeared south of Hiroshima.
You should be careful, this leader must be a pretty crazy person from the way they took Mt. Ooe. To make it easier for you, I'll give you something to help: the "starry night" scroll!
Oh, wait. Did you say your name was Kinu? I heard that you are the daughter of the chief demon, so I thought you would be pretty rough. But this is better than I expected, it's just... it will be tough to attract guys with that kind of constant gloomy expression on your face!
And you can't even use that scroll I just gave you! It's a good scroll... but it's very selective about whom it let's it use it. Well, they say once women find love, they change completely, so maybe you'll be able to use it at some point!

Manjimaru obtained the "starry night" scroll!

Well, that was a lot, but as a reminder, Mt. Ooe was where we originally found Kinu and "chief demon" refers to Shuten-doji, the demon leader who makes his lair at Mt. Ooe, according to Japanese folklore/mythology. Here is a very cool looking 19th century woodblock print showing several warriors fighting Shuten Doji (in the middle) on Mt. Ooe:

By Yoshitoshi - National Diet Library Digital Collections: Persistent ID 1310286, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=103227291

Anyway, the "starry night" scroll (星寝) puts the whole group of enemies to sleep, except... as he said, we don't actually have anybody in our party who is able to use it! So we'll have to wait and see what happens with that whole thing.

Also, apparently, in addition to Demon Sea Castle and whatever that thing is that thing is on the northern cape, there is one more castle, the Silver Castle down near Hiroshima which is in a province we haven't been to as yet. In theory, there should only be two orchids remaining for the total of seven to make sense, but we'll also have to see how that develops too.

All right then. Let's go and do something unorthodox here. We'll head to Kyoto just for a moment, actually.

In fact, I want to head to the mercantile exchange over here. Over the course of the game we've collected a bunch of those certificates of ownership, and while I haven't really engaged in market speculation, I figured now is as good time as any to check the prices and maybe just sell so that they don't take up space in the inventory any more.

Looking at the prices, it seems like wheat is the only one that really went quite a bit up, while the other three have more or less stayed put. Oh well, it's still going to be a free few thousand ryo for us so why not.

And then it's back to Sakai and more precisely to the equipment shop.

We'll just going to pick up this Zeus's Armour for 142,000 ryo. Man, the prices of equipment are crazy in this late game stage.

This will go to Manjimaru. It's only +3 extra defence this time, but...

...it also allows us to move Manjimaru's former Shadow Armour over to Kabuki who thus gains +9 in defence. So all in all not too bad in total.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Well, then, let's see.

Ok, it's whirlpool time I guess.

Of course, we use the Wave Spirit Mechanism to get to it across the sea and then, as you might already have predicted...

...we use the Tidal Spirit Mechanism to get down to the bottom of the sea! Because of course our tank is a submarine too!

You can definitely explore around the sea bed, but being that this is not Final Fantasy VII, there's unfortunately nothing to be found here.

So we'll just head straight into the Root castle.

We get to see a nice closeup of our vehicle!

The usual welcoming committee is here, of course.

How do you feel about the capabilities of the Speedbird? Isn't the technology of Ihika people like me pretty amazing?
Of course we now have the Speedbird plans you lost in the sea, so we've have been working on plans to attach the advanced version of Speedbird's propulsion engine to this castle we are building. I'm sure we'll be able to show it to you eventually...
That is, if you get out of here alive!
Well then, good luck Manjimaru-kun!

Ok, so wait. There's this castle, and also Silver Castle near Hiroshima, and then also that thing being build is also a root castle. But in the meantime, there's only two orchids left. Hmm.

Well, anyway, let's just do what we came here to do.

Actually, this castle is very simple again. It's of course starfish-shaped with a few floors, but there are mostly no corridors or anything like that, it's all pretty much open. There are also no chests with items to be found or anything like that, so you can simply make a straight run to the boss.

These things are water jets which take you to the next upper floor.

Random encounters are definitely present, of course. There are a few pretty nasty ones here, however this is not one of those.

Around the castle, you'll find a bunch of traps which damage you if you step on them, or in case of these ones here, if you come near them.

I like this enemy design! Although they have a lot of HP, there aren't any special attacks, just the normal physical damage which you can easily mitigate.

This is not a great combination. Well, the wolf is nothing much, but the fish has crazy high defence and agility and can cast all sorts of lightning based spells, plus also poison and acid! And most of their spells attack the entire party! If you get like three or four of these at once, you're pretty much dead. Because of high agility they all will get to go before you do, and well... you can imagine what that looks like. So I feel this enemy is just a touch broken. The fish also might drop an item, a weapon for Gokuraku with high attack power, but it's cursed, so don't equip it as it will seriously lower his defence if you do!

I never really mentioned this, but enemies in this game CAN drop items upon defeat, but it's a very rare thing. And I mean like you can play the game for several hours and not get a single item drop during that time rare. So it's kind of not worth thinking about, especially since there aren't really any "amazing items you can't get any other way" to be found among the drops.

And then there's these guys. They actually have a slightly higher attack stat than the next boss--this means at our level about 120 HP damage per hit! But luckily, also much much less HP than the boss. Also, no special attacks, so you can reduce the damage with Kabuki's buffs.

I should explain the name here. It's a reference to the old Japanese folk tale of Urashima Taro, a poor fisherman who gets taken the to the undersea palace of the Dragon King. The fairy tale itself dates from way back in the 8th century and if you want to know more, Wikipedia has you covered.

Probably best to go around.

Finally, we reach the top floor where the ruler of this castle, Right Handed Garnin is waiting for us!

Well, if you would have done that, my amazing right arm would have started to cry from loneliness!
Now, whose arm do you want to cut off? Whose neck do you want to slice? Tell me, my sweet right arm!

Of course, a boss fight.

And we have maybe gotten complacent since last few boss fights weren't super hard, but here now comes a bit of a skill-check! This one can be pretty hard if you approach it the wrong way. Among the issues is the reatively large HP amount of this guy so either way it will take a little while to whittle is down.

He actually doesn't have a large repertoire of attacks, but he doesn't really need it...

...when even the regular attack hits for around 130-150 HP!

Then on top of that add another attack which he uses every once in a while which hits EVERYONE for around 100-120 HP, so does he really need anything else?

Anyway, it easily becomes obviuous that keeping on top with the buffs and (possibly) debuffs will be the only way to win this one. So a judicious use of Kabuki's three buff spells for attack, defence and speed is highly recommended, especially the one for defence! Luckily his spells target the whole party at once so that makes things a lot easier. In addition to that you can use the single person attack/defence boosting spells (King's power/Kongo) if you want a bit more.

Apart form that, just use whatever your strongest attacks are for each party member. For Manjimaru you can use one of his sword techniques which guarantees a critical attack, for Kinu it's probably best to just cast fire spell with that sword formerly used by Kabuki, poor Gokuraku kind of just has to use his regular attacks (unless you bought another fire sword at some point), and for Kabuki of course it would be his ice dragon spell, but he will be quite busy with maintaining party buffs as they only last a few turns each, so he won't be able to use it all the time. Whoever has the bone sword also needs to make sure that Kabuki and Kinu at least are topped up when needed as Kinu will also have to be on healing duty (although since she is casting fire spell with the sword, you can also make Manjimaru into a healer as he is also able to use those spells). Kinu can also use her chains as item on the boss as it will decrease termporarily his attack power if it lands. Of course, if you want to, you can also use those weird summoning spells that bring "shadows" into the battle, which will hopefully deflect some of the attacks, but I feel you will be too busy to manage that too on top of everything else.

Anyway, more or less, this should take you to victory.

After the battle...

But hey, this game is nice. So we are back in the dungeon and can, if we need to, leave to heal up and rest and them come back for the second round! I still have trauma from playing The Last Remnant which has more than one instance of multiple hard boss fights without the ability to save the game in between!

So, let's go for another round then!

Well, that's quite something.

As you might expect from the transformation, all his stats have gone up slightly, including the HP!

His attacks remain the same technically, but of course deal more damage now. So the regular attack will easily hit one person for 180-200 HP and the other one which hits the entire party will do around 120-130 HP each.

I wish I could tell you there is some other way to deal with this, but there isn't. You will more or less simply have to employ the same strategy like in the first phase. Since his damage is so high even with buffs, it may be worthwhile to employ the "mountain echo" spell (or its equivalent by using that mirror item--you do still remember it). This will damage him back for 50% of the original damage you took, but this time even 50% is a lot so its worth bothering with this to help yourself defeat him quicker.

Other than that, he now also has a spell which seals one party member's magic spells, but since it's only a single target ability, you can easily heal that immediately after. He can also remove/dispel your buffs, so be careful to reapply them.

My right hand...
My right hand...
...explain yourself!

But then... a weird thing happens!

Ugh. This guy. This guy. Can we be done with him already, seriously? (The game says no.) Also, why does he have to keep reminding us who he is every time? But anyway, I guess Hoteimaru has been kidnapped and taken to that new castle that the Root Clan has been building. We'll have to deal with that shortly, but for now...

...we have a new holy sword to pick up! This one used to belong to Saburou! Let's pick it up. As always, we meet the ghost of the long gone warrior, this one quite young as we've already been told.

You should try my sword technique! My sword is a deadly weapon--if you get it right, you'll be in heaven, but if you lose, you may end up in hell!
But for now, let's head to Sumiyoshi and chop that dark orchid with this holy sword, all right?

Manjimaru here gains a new technique as usual ("Saburou slash"), this one will cause an insta-death on an enemy. But the catch is that it has a very low probability of actually working, so... Actually the probability of success when you use it is only 8%. There's no consequence for failing, but you have wasted a turn. So this is in the end pretty useless (not to mention that using it against bosses takes away the fun of fighting them normally).

Well, all right. Let's leave this place now and head to the orchid, which is luckily nearby and easily accessible.

Let's head to the orchid.

There's still one enemy we haven't previously met. It has the ability to insta-kill one party member, but also it doesn't use it oftent and it rarely lands, so...

Well, here we go, the grand shrine and the orchid next to it.

This place is dark and (mostly) abandoned.

Even the bridge here is broken.

We have tow alk around the outside of the lake.

Of course, the random encounters are presnt.

What is even happening with these names at this point? Well, in any case, despite the name, these aren't very dangerous, due to low agility.

The main building here is the only one that has people inside.

I have a sick daughter at home so I came here to offer a hundred prayers... But with the shrine in this condition, will it even work?

"The hundred prayers", or "Hyakudo Mairi" (百度参り) is a Japanese religious custom in which a person visits a shrine and pays his respect to gods one hundred times. This is done especially when the reason for the prayer has some urgency, as is the case with this gentleman.

The miko just reminds you about the four burial mounds, so we'll talk to the monk instead.

Ah... because of the dark orchid, the ancient Sumiyoshi grand shrine is finally almost done for... What to do...
Wait, what! Aren't you the Fire Hero that I've been hearing about lately? Please, please, kill the dark orchid as soon as possible and save this shrine!
You are Fire Clan, just like Master Saburou who sealed the Root Clan one thousand years ago! You will definitely be able to defeat them!

So this dialogue sounds a bit better if you come here a bit earlier, but we didn't, so...

...let's just deal with the orchid!

That was number six, so I guess there is only one left now! Right?

Let's go back to the building for a short chat. First the gentleman that was worrying about his daughter!

Thank you very much! It seems that the orchid was responsible for my daughter's illness! She's already on the road to recovery! I'll give more prayers to the Fire Heroes from now on than to that incompetent god!

And the monk:

Thank you! The merchants in Kobe and Sakai will be happy that the Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine has been restored to it's normal state! If pit the merchants from both towns against each other, we should be able to get a lot of donations from them--they are very competitive, you know.
I reckon in about six months we should be able to do some serious upgrades to our shrine!

Well, all right, so that's done now. By the way, here is a picture of a real Sumiyoshi Grand Shrine, located, as expected in this exact location in Osaka prefecture in real life:

As for us, we will now head to Himeji, since the town has been liberated from the "orchid blockade". We should probably find out what the local lord is up to, as it seems he's not exactly aware of the kind of threat he's facing from the Root Clan.

But before that, a quick stop at the northern cape, since Duke Pepe indicated we should stop by.

Well then. Looks like our next castle is going to be "in the sky". Too bad our tank can't fly. Oh well.

But it can swim, and Himeji is across the bay, so let's head there finally.

Ah, here it is. That narrow passage between the mountains would have been blocked before.

Looks cool with all these canals (they do exist in real life). Before we visit the castle, let's talk to people.

This is Himeji, the castle that the people of Naniwa are the most proud of. But it's only a shadow of its former self because most activity has died down with all the men conscripted into the military...
There aren't any young men in this town... the lord brought them all into the castle to form an army. It's now a boring town with doddering old geezers and snot nosed children only.

Our lord made a mistake by looting the burial mound of a Fire Hero... It will probably come back to haunt him when some kind of a horrible disaster strikes here.

Hmm... I wonder what kind of Speedbird part was there that he looted.

There is something beautiful in seeing the gallant warriors in a shining armour lined up! The Steel Castle stands no chance against them!

I hear that our lord has amassed a 50,000 people army. They are gathering to quickly destroy the Steel Castle. They'll be heading into battle soon!

I'm not having a particularly good feeling about this. Especially after Duke Pepe mentioning about having "some business to take care of in Himeji".

Ok, so this the weapon/equipment shop. I'm not actually going to buy anything here for reasons I will explain, but in general, there's one item you might want to consider getting.

It's this one, "Benten's Helm" (remember Benten the goddess, from the beginning of the game?) for 108,000 ryo. It provides decent protection for Kinu (although there are better ones), but more importantly, when used as an item in battle it also provides a free 150 HP heal for one party member. Since we lucked out with the Bone Sword and got randomly on it the ability to replenish MP, we don't really need a free heal in addtion to that, but if you get less lucky with those random elixirs and their equipment counterparts, then it's probably a good idea to get this here, especially since it's not super expensive anyway.

All right, let's continue talking to people then.

The guy in bed has a surprising amount of things to say!

They are trying to destroy the Steel Castle in one go? What idiots! Don't they see it's a trap from the Root Clan? After amassing the army of 50,000 people, the Roots cut off our lords food supply and the soldiers are left unfed... If they attack now, it's obvious there's going tobe some sort of a counterattack!

And the other two people here.

Oh... Oh... My belly is so empty...
While the road was blocked by the dark orchid I was not able to buy any food... I haven't eaten anything for the past few days...

Our lord is very vain. He believes if everyone does what he says, things will turn out good in the end. I wonder if this kind thinking will also work against the Root Clan...
My son looks up to my husband and wants to be like him in the future. He says he wants to become a soldier. For the sake of my child, I hope my husband returns safe!
My dad is very strong. I wonder if he'll go and defeat the steel castle very soon...

Speaking of castles, we have a castle here that we should visit! The guards just welcome to the castle, so nothing interesting there, but...

...there's this lady here, hiding in a corner!

Have you heard the rumour about the lord? Apparently he brough some ancient relics from one of the burial mounds.

Unfortunately she doesn't have anything to say we don't already know, but I really do want to get the last Speedbird part!

Incidentally, the real-life Himeji castle is one of the best preserved feudal castles in Japan, dating from 14th century. Here is a picture of it:

By Niko Kitsakis - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40135622

As for us, let's head inside.

I'm sorry master, but the power of Fire Clan is not needed here!

Oh, really?

Hahaha, the Steel Castle only has a short time left to live!

Also there's a bunch of chests around the castle. Mostly they have low level gear that we have no use for. But it shows you how actually unprepared they are for the battle.

Let's fight! Let's fight!

You know, this is depressing, so let's just head upstairs. I'll let you know if anybody actually says anything interesting, but they all seem quite indoctrinated so far.

I was saying about chests having low level equipment, but actually this one contains that Wave Pattern Sword that was being sold for a lot of money back in Kobe. But you can get it here for free! It's slightly weaker than the weapons we already use for Manjimaru and Kabuki, however, when used as item in battle it casts that powerful "ice dragon" spell that only Kabuki can use. By keeping this sword we enable another person to be able to use it, so we'll keep it for now.

I'm skipping talking to most soldiers here as they are all just spewing short rah-rah nonsense sentences, so we'll just head upstairs and talk to the lord!

I'm sure our lord will be happy to have Fire Clan present to witness his big moment!
Look, Master Manjimaru! The big battle which will decide the fate of the world is about to begin! It's the end of the Steel Castle!
You are master Manjimaru from the Fire Clan? Well, thank you for your effort so far, but you can leave the Root Clan to us from now on!

Sure, sure.

Over here is the lord and his daughter. Let's talk to the daughter first.

It's no use trying to ask my father to give you the treasure he dug up. Even I kept begging him and he wouldn't give it to me. He must really like it!

I see. Well, let's hear it from the lord himself.

Oh, it's Master Manjimaru of the Fire Clan!
What? You came to get the treasure I dug up in Saburou's burial mound? No, no. I found it! It's my treasure! Even to the Fire Clan, I will not give it to you.
Instead, let's watch our elite troops in action! I have just given the order to depliy! Soon they should be near the Steel Castle!
Behold the power of our army! They will destroy the Root demon castle that you thought only Fire Clan could destroy! Ahahaha!
Master Manjimaru, why don't we watch the action from a more convenient spot?

They move by the window and watch the action.

And so will we, in the following cutscene!

Well. That ended about as good as anyone with half a brain could have expected it to, really.

Well, let's see, what does the lord have to say about all of this?

That's... No way! My... army has been completely obliterated!
W-what to do now... They're sure to come back and attack this castle soon!
I'm such an idiot! I shouldn't have messed with the Root Clan so carelessly! I should have trusted the Fire Clan!
Master Manjimaru! Please! Please give me your help! I will even give you this treasure!
Please save Himeji!

Manjimaru obtained the Wind Spirit Mechanism!

Ah! The final power-up part for the Speedbird. But what does it do?

Also, not being so cocky anymore, huh? Should have left this to trained professionaly, but well, here we are.

The guy standing next to him has also changed his tune.

Yes, if this is how it was going to be, we should have left it to Fire Clan from the beginning!

Probably. If we talk to the daughter...

Master Manjimaru, please help us! Visit the Master Tengu who lives on a beach beyond the mountains in the north to get help!

...she gives us a hint about that tengu who is only accessible from the sea. Unfortunately as we've seen already, the spell we got from him we can't even use, so... not really any help in this case!

So, since we got what we came here for (but at a high and avoidable cost), we can now leave. The guys in the castle all change their tune and if you talk to them express variations on a theme of "please help us", "you're a true hero" and so on.

Well, all right. Back outside in our little tank. Let's use the wind spirit mechanism

Nice. It can fly now, too!

Well, then, I think our task is clear.

We need to find the Steel Castle floating in the sky...

...and dock with it! (Like you do.)

All right then, we'll take a break here, but I guess in the next episode we have again the next Root Castle to deal with. What is this, some kind of a speedrun. Or at least a speedbird maybe.

Anyway, take care and see you soon!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 8, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I love the design of the Speedbird, it's rad.

Also really? There's nothing else undersea? Despite it, presumably, covering all of the game's sea? Or in the lakes or anything? Sad.

Additionally, what's up with those "Orangutans"? Odd translation or just an odd name?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

quote:

You are master Manjimaru from the Fire Clan? Well, thank you for your effort so far, but you can leave the Fire Clan to us from now on!

I imagine the second Fire Clan is supposed to be Root Clan.

You also have a Stell Castle somewhere.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

what's interesting is the two guys in upstairs room of the inn have the stereotypical thief/burglar design, just in case the dialogue isn't obvious enough.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, we aren't dropping this vehicle after one use? And it keeps getting new functionalities? That's the biggest surprise in this game so far.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Tallgeese posted:

I imagine the second Fire Clan is supposed to be Root Clan.

You also have a Stell Castle somewhere.
Thank you, I fixed it. You should see how many typos I already fixed before posting! :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

I love the design of the Speedbird, it's rad.

Also really? There's nothing else undersea? Despite it, presumably, covering all of the game's sea? Or in the lakes or anything? Sad.

Additionally, what's up with those "Orangutans"? Odd translation or just an odd name?
Orangutans are I guess just a reference to the real life orangutan apes:

I'm not sure there's anything else to it beyond that.

As for the bottom of the sea, the vehicles can't really cross from one province to another, so there is only the bottom of the sea in this particular province and the others don't even have it. I would have honestly expected there to be at least something, but I guess not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

Orangutans are I guess just a reference to the real life orangutan apes:

I'm not sure there's anything else to it beyond that.

Oh, yeah, I mean, I know what orangutans are. Just, those enemies did not seem very orangutan-y. So I was thinking that maybe in Japanese the name for orangutans is close enough for a pun to reference some demon or something. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, I mean, I know what orangutans are. Just, those enemies did not seem very orangutan-y. So I was thinking that maybe in Japanese the name for orangutans is close enough for a pun to reference some demon or something. :v:

Ah well, now that I looked at it a bit more turns out there is a kind of a "demon" which is supposed to be like an orangutan with a distinct fondness for alcohol. In fact the demons came first and then the ape was named after them: https://yokai.com/shoujou/.

Sorry about missing this. The one time I decide not to look into it further it turns out you are right and there was more there. :(

Apologies.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 8, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

Sorry about missing this. The one time I decide not to look into it further it turns out you are right and there was more there. :(

Apologies.

Oh, no, that's fine. :D I'm just glad you're providing all this neat context.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Poor Duke Pepe is just lonely and latched on to the first people who wandered along (after killing his wife). The animation of him walking in, throwing the rope and kidnapping the one guy would have just been top notch if he just left right after, but I guess they kind of needed to nudge you in the right direction. Also, the cannon was the logical endpoint, but I was kinda expecting the massive buildup in music, then Duke Pepe just landing the castle on the army or just... sailing peacefully over them, because what the gently caress is calvary and archers going to do against a flying castle?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

Poor Duke Pepe is just lonely and latched on to the first people who wandered along (after killing his wife). The animation of him walking in, throwing the rope and kidnapping the one guy would have just been top notch if he just left right after, but I guess they kind of needed to nudge you in the right direction. Also, the cannon was the logical endpoint, but I was kinda expecting the massive buildup in music, then Duke Pepe just landing the castle on the army or just... sailing peacefully over them, because what the gently caress is calvary and archers going to do against a flying castle?

I'm just going to leave this video here. I swear it's relevant to the topic. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJsFhkb8e4Q

Oh, and here's a fun game for everybody: how many times do you think we'll still have to fight Duke Pepe before we're finally done with him? Post your guesses. ;)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ivantod posted:

I'm just going to leave this video here. I swear it's relevant to the topic. :v:

Oh, and here's a fun game for everybody: how many times do you think we'll still have to fight Duke Pepe before we're finally done with him? Post your guesses. ;)

0, he has a change of heart and is actually the one that can use the unusable scroll, his steel castle becomes our final vehicle,and they all lived happily ever after. Besides, you pointed out that there's more castles than evil plants at this point, and Pepe has become a lovable scamp.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

ivantod posted:

Partially to help push to the next page, and because I was thinking....

I'll guess 10. Including one superboss postgame, which is more of what I'm guessing than the actual number.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's 8.
(No idea)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

20, but they're all half-fights where he escapes when he hits a certain health threshold. Yes, that means he survives the game. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

20, but they're all half-fights where he escapes when he hits a certain health threshold. Yes, that means he survives the game. :v:

50, he survives the entire next game as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He just randomly shows up out of nowhere and starts calling this other dude "Manjimaru" and antagonizing him for no reason.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Duke Pepe everywhere system :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Ha ha I like this.

The number of fights is thankfully in single digits and even the reward you get after the final defeat is very much worth it. To be honest when I say about how annoying it is I'm more joking around, I don't actually find it annoying and this game is for the most part very much actually fun to play. They do manage to strike the right balance without generally going into annoying territory.

Also, apologies once again for updates being a bit slow (and definitely slower than I would like), but we're not so far from the end of the game now so there's not a huge amount more to go!

Thanks everybody for reading!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure how many fights Duke Pepe has in him but I hope he survives the game. Killing off the protagonist's love interest for drama is boring and overused.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

0 is still a single digit, I'm still in the running :colbert:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I shall guess that 3 shall be the remaining numbers of Pepes. But then we will start fighting CyberPepe, and finally MechaPepe

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Given the amount of swastikas in this game, I'm okay with any amount of Pepe as long as he doesn't turn into a frog.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Previously, Manjimaru and the gang defeated another Root Clan castle (the underwater one) and thus managed to cut down another dark orchid. This in theory leaves just one, the seventh. However, during this process, the annoying pest by the name of Duke Pepe managed to kidnap Hoteimaru and take him to yet another Root Clan castle, the steel one. In addition to that, the lord of Himeji was being a bit stubborn and refused to accept help from the Fire Clan. This resulted in his army of 50,000 people being completely obliterated by the Steel Castle; however, he then finally stopped being stubborn and gave us the last upgrade for the Speedbird, the one which allows it to also fly in the air!

And so we ended the last episode with our heroes having successfully docked with the Steel Castle!

There isn't really anything left to do at this point but to enter the castle, of course.

And for those who are wondering, yes, indeed, this is the point at which this vehicle gets abandoned, never to be used again. But, you may ask, this vehicle seems quite capable, it can go on land and water, and it can even fly? And, well, it's like this: while it can indeed do all that, the problem is that there is no way for it to leave this one province. All roads between provinces pass through border villages which vehicles can't go through. So that limits its usefulness a fair amount, especially where there is something better coming up soon. Believe it or not, it's finally time (soon) to obtain a vehicle which we are NOT going to be abandoning until the end of the game!

But for now, let's just get inside the castle.

Here, of course, the welcoming committee already is waiting for us!

Now, let me give you some details about this castle! If you step on these tiles, maybe your health will decrease or perhaps you won't be able to use your spells. We've prepared several different types of tiles, so feel free to step on them to see what kind of effect they have!
As for Duke Pepe, we're in process of making some modifications to his body, as per his determined request. Please look forward to meeting him again, as you'll find he's a little bit different from how you know him so far.

Uhhh, maybe this is the time when we can finally be done with Duke Pepe. But as for that talk about the tiles, probably it hasn't escaped your attention the small clusters of differently coloured tiles on the floor. Stepping on them causes various negative affects, such as draining your HP or MP, or even worse putting your entire party into "magic sealed" status. Since you don't want any of that to happen, especially that last one, you should make sure to not step on any of them. In some cases this will mean using the spell which allows you to pass over dangerous floor without taking any of the negative effects (kind of like "float" in older Final Fantasy games).

But in any case, this place is quite small, and there's hardly anywhere to go anyway.

All right, so the dots you see in three of the four corners of this room are actually teleporters! So we'll start by stepping on the bottom left one.

It takes us to this side room. Here of course you need to use the "clear water" spell so that you don't suffer ill effects from stepping on coloured tiles. The chests only have consumables...

...so we can just use this teleporter to return back to the main room.

This actually puts us at the bottom right, which only leaves top right teleporter to try.

Just walk across without a care in the world!

Well, except for the random encounters! But these guys are pretty easy.

Of course, there's another teleporter at the end of the room...

...which leads already to Duke Pepe and also a bound and gagged Hoteimaru there!

By the way... I would like to ask you for a favour, Manjimaru.
As you can see, I have asked the sages to modify my body for combat use, mostly focusing on my arms. But I feel that even this will not be enough to defeat the monstrous strength of you Fire Heroes.
I still have sone naive feelings lingering about being attached to my human form. So please don't take it easy on me! Beat me to a pulp! This way I can leave my humanity behind once and for all!

This guy is just...

And, well, here we go, it's a boss fight... AGAIN! Sigh. How many times has this been so far?

Well, in any case, this one is definitely real, and oh my god look at that HP. Nevertheless, this is actually a fair bit easier than the last one. Although he's faster, his attack and defence stat are quite a bit lower than even Garnin's first form! So although he has a bit more HP, this is in the end less dangerous.

He has his normal attack, which is under 100 HP without defence buffs, but you need to be careful because he can sometimes do it twice in one turn. He's lost the ability to do attack/defence/agility debuffs on you, but has gained an immensely annoying ability to remove a piece of equipment from one of your party members. Luckily he doesn't use it much at least.

As usual, use the all-party buffs from Kabuki constantly and make sure you're healed and you should be fine here.

When his HP falls below 25% of maximum, he will only use a heal move each turn ("Duke Pepe uses a steel plate to patch his body"). But it only heals him for 100 HP, so this is your time to go all out and finish him--you should be EASILY able to to more than 100 HP damage to him per turn.

Anyway, after the battle...

But I'll become stronger too, like you! I'll definitely choke the life out of you with my hands! I promise you that!

Oh, did you think we would be done with this guy after just a single fight? Ha ha. No such luck. But soon, I promise.

He goes away, taking Hoteimaru with him, who screams for us to save him! So let's go looking for Pepe again (but do remember to check that all your armour and weapons are properly equipped before continuing!).

Well, all right. Other than the teleporter we used to get here, there's two others in this room. One leads to a short hallway with some treasure chests. They only contains consumables, plus a cursed equipment piece. The lift in the top left corner leads back directly to the starting room, so the only remaining way to go is the third teleporter.

That one leads to a hallway where... surprise, it's Duke Pepe waiting for a fight with us again!

I wanted you to be the first one I showed it to! Now I can finally fight without feeling inferior to either you or my wife!
Soon! Soon! Soon you'll be all mine!
I love you, Manjimaru! I love you! More than anyone else in the world!

This is slowly getting crazier and crazier. But nevertheless...

...we have (again) a boss fight on our hands. It's not really that much harder than the last one, but there are some differences. First of all, all his stats have gone up a bit... except agility. I guess the idea is that his new armour is making him slower.

His main attack hasn't really changed (it's of course a bit stronger now), including the probability that he will sometimes attack twice. Apart from that, he can now also cast a powerful fire spell ("war flame") or even steal your MP ("mistletoe"). But thanks to his noticably lower agility, you will be getting a lot more turns than he is, especially if you use Kabuki's "wind snake" spell to further raise the agility of the entire party!

As before, once his HP is below 25% he will stop attacking and simply heal on every turn. But it's still a measly 100 HP, which we can easily outdamage. So in the end, again, the only reason this takes a bit is because of a relatively large total HP amount.

And so...

Feel free to laugh at me being like this! It seems I will not be able to win against you unless I give up everything!
Please look forward to it, Manjimaru! I will be coming back even stronger!

Oh, did you think we were done with him this time? No. No such luck.

We'll just follow him by taking that teleporter.

Here we have a lift which we can take upstairs, but also some chests. The one on the left has a "Blazing Fire Armour".

Giving it to Manjimaru results in further +5 in defence stat.

Kabuki will take over Manjimaru's former "Zeus's Armour" for a +3 compared to his previous equipment. Not too bad.

One of the other chests contains another piece of equipment, "The Helmet of Silence", which as you can probably guess, is a cursed piece of equipment which disables your usage of magic spells/techniques so we'll ignore that one. It could be potentially something Gokuraku would be able to use even as cursed, but it is of course not equippable by him, since even when cursed equipment is concerned, he still needs special ones due to his size!

Anyway, let's take that lift.

It takes us one level up where there is a tied up Hoteimaru.

But he is soon teleported away, leaving the active teleporter for us to use. Taking the teleporter...

...brings us outside on top of the "castle", with Duke Pepe seemingly having turned himself into some kind of fully mechanical contraption? Let's see.

I can't even feed myself on my own any more! I need help for doing even the basic functions! This is how far I went, just for you!
There's no way for me to go back to how I used to be! Me and you all... will you go to the bottom of hell together with me?
Let's settle this in one final battle!
I love you, Manjimaru!

And, well, it's time for a boss fight. Finally, this is the last one!

Like in the previous one, all his stats have gone up, except his agility is now really severely lowered due to this entire contraption.

His attack is now quite strong, and he will almost always now attack twice per turn so you do need to be careful. The damage number you're seeing above is with Kabuki's defence buff applied, so normally it would be a lot more than that. He does still have a fire attack, but also a new annoyance, the ability to use the "castle wall" spell ("Duke Pepe is blowing high temperature gas from his radiator"). This renders him invincible to physical attacks for a few turns.

Although his attacks are stronger, his agility is quite low by now so he won't be getting a whole lot of turns, and also the switch to healing only when at low health still happens even in this version ("Duke Pepe is fixing some frayed wires on his body."). The heal is still just 100 HP, so basically completely useless.

But before... I fade out... please explain to me... one thing...

Huh. The person among us with the strongest attack power is never attacking, you say? Are you talking about Kinu, perhaps?

Answering that question is certainly something we'll be concerning ourselves shortly, but for now, and I know this is hard to believe, we are actually done with Duke Pepe for good. He's been a thorn in our side for way too long, but is really, truly done now.

After quickly freeing Hoteimaru, he has a few things to say!

As a thank you, I have a big present for you... The Steel Castle!
Yes! While I was imprisoned here, I was able to figure out how to drive this thing! From now on, I'll be the captain of the Steel Castle! Just use this Electronic Signal Flag to flag me down when you need me!
This is my mid-year gift to you, Manjimaru! Happy mid-year!

Manjimaru obtained the Electronic Signal Flag!

Believe it or not... we FINALLY have an airship (and yes it's even armed)! I mean it's a 1990s JRPG, so an airship is kind of a given, it's just that it took most of the game to actually get to this point.

Somehow... Manjimaru obtained the Steel Castle!

Yes. This game did the "somehow" joke several decades before it became a meme!

As for the castle, it's actually even better than you think, but before we talk about it in detail, let's quickly go into villains' lair for an update

If they use the castle's warp device, they can travel anywhere instantly! Therefore, it's no longer possible to easily follow in their footsteps.
But do not get alarmed. It will still be easy to lure them out with a good bait.
And when they bite our bait, it will be the end of them at that moment!

Yeah, yeah.

Anyway, back to the Steel Castle. If we open the game menu...

...we have one new command there: "Warp". If we select it...

...we can move instantanenously to any province. But, if you look carefully at the menu above, you can see that it's listing even some provinces we've never been to (the last three: Kibi, Aki and Nagato)!

So, as it turns out, there is a bit of a paradigm shift in the game at this point. So far things have been kind-of linear. Sure you had the freedom to explore a bit, but mostly the game has been sort of guiding you from one province to another as the plot required. However, now when we are close to the end, the game says: well, the entire rest of the world is open to you now, go out there and figure it out! It's time for the player to now go around and figure out what is the next step, instead of the game more or less telling you! I think it's a nice shift to make it a bit more interesting in the final parts of the game.

So with that in mind, we'll be spending the rest of today's episode doing exactly that: exploring and gathering information! Before we get started on that, though, there's one little secret in previous areas of the game which we were not able to access before, but now thanks to having an airship, we can!

If we head quickly back over to Oomi province...

...it's been a while, but you will recall this weird pier with the building at the end.

On the map, there is that peninsula in the northwest, from where Kinu made the "demonic light bridge" that took us across to the west. However, as part of that we flew over that little island which you can see in the northwest corner. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out if there's anything there?

Here we are, I guess it looks empty. But if you examine one of the two big rocks...

...we get an item! This item was actually for sale back in one of Ashimoto's shops, but it was sold out there and it was not possible to buy it. However, if you come to this island, you can find a hidden one like this. It's an infinite use item, and its purpose is to immediately summon a random battle. The monster formation will be one which is native to the area where you are standing. So this is a bit like the "siren" item from older Final Fantasy games and is useful for easier/faster grinding if you decide to do it.

As for the island itself, other than this, there's nothing special on it, so it's not like those two weird islands in Final Fantasy VIII. Once you get the item, you can leave.

So, with this in mind, let's summon back our Steel Castle...

...and let's head over into the first unexplored location, the Kibi province (吉備).

When we materialise back, we are near a castle town, but we'll leave that for the moment.

So, unfortunately, you still get random encounters while flying in the castle, but the enemy formations are drawn from a more limited set of possibilities compared what you find on the ground and are more limited to flying type enemies.

As for this one, the name is supposed to be a mangling of Tengu-san and it represents a more evil version of Tengu, kind of like the crow tengu depicted by this 19th century statue:

By WolfgangMichel - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29941764

As for the enemy itself, if you look at the HP, you can see that "we're not in Kansas any more". The random encounters in the rest of the game are a noticable step up in difficulty at our present level. Although in this case not so much, since as I mentioned our flying castle is in fact armed.

So in battle, we get now this additional command here: "thermal orb" (熱弾), which deals a cool 1000 HP damage (or thereabouts) to ALL enemies. So mostly these random encounters while flying will be a complete non-issue.

Another note about the castle. If you want to land with the castle, you need to find a sufficiently large CLEAR piece of land. So in places like here where you see some rocks on the ground, it's not possible to land and you have to move a bit further away from the village where it's clear. The game will very definitely use this in the future to prevent us from taking a shortcut to some destinations.

For now, we'll head a bit north and start with this border village here. Again it's a bit tight here so we have to land a bit south from it.

Like down here, and then we have to walk.

Welcome to Tashiro. Let's get some bearings!

There's an eerie rumbling from the mountains to the south... I wonder if it's a dark orchid again.
Some time ago, a group of demons went south. Soon after that, roots of dark orchid appeared to the north.

If we pass north through here, we arrive back in Izumo province.

Well, all right. That wasn't super interesting. Let's head south.

But oops. Well, as far as things go, this is not such a bad combination of enemies. The "old man" is a bit annoying due to high defence, but otherwise this is not the worst, especially since it has a good money/EXP yield.

But you might be wondering about that "peony lion" name? Well, as it turns out, the juxtaposition of a peony flower together with a lion is a pretty common thing in Japanese art/culture. It's supposed to represent a balance of strength and beauty. Here it is depicted on this early 19th century painting by Utagawa Toyokuni:

And so the game decided to just mash both things into a single creature which is at the same time both a peony and also a lion! Nice.

Anyway, around the corner here is a little clearing we have a already seen plenty of.

Another ninja hideout. There's actually quite a lot of those everywhere, as you can see.

Master Manjimaru! I heard that your father died around here somewhere. It is said that Tengu-san who lives in the mountains to the west had witnessed his final moments. Perhaps you should go and visit him.

Interesting. Also, you can definitely feel the gears of the plot starting to turn in order to get everything in the right place for the game's ending!

In the house, you can sleep for free, but as usual the innkeeper doesn't have any special dialogue.

By the way, before we proceed, here is the map of this province. As you can see no particularly unusual geographical features here. To the east is Tanba province and to the west is Aki province.

We'll head west for now. I know I could be using the castle to move much faster, but this is more fun and we also get to pick up a couple of levels while exploring since everything here gives quite a lot of money and EXP.

And what do you know, in the mountains in the west there is a tengu's house!

Oho! Is that you, Manjimaru? You father asked me to do this for you about a year ago...
Look after this for me, it's the "divine flame" scroll. Please take it!

Manjimaru obtained the "divine flame" scroll.

The "divine flame" (神炎) is a strong fire attack against one enemy. So nothing too unusual here.

If you run across that blizzard, make sure to be careful! Your father got trapped in that blizzard and ended up freezing to death!

Well, I was expecting to hear a bit more, but I guess this'll do for now.

Let's head back out.

Obviously enemies! Koban is a type of coin used in the old times in Japan, but we've already encountered that term. Also, I wanted to mention that so far playing through the game, we've encountered close to 200 uniquely named enemies (not counting the bosses). So I just want to express my admiration for person(s) who thought up all these names. Because honestly, I don't think I've ever seen monster names quite on this kind of level in any RPG that I've played. So, well done, game. Well done. This one is a particularly good combination between the Heaven's Shriek design which is just one of the best, and the "Inner Beast" name, you know, as in the little bit of beast we all have inside ourselves!

It's quite funny, because Inner Beast has an ability to call up his inner beast, which boosts his strength! So I guess even an Inner Beast has their own inner beast, huh?

Going back east, we eventually reach a river. So let's head south.

Huh, we haven't seen one of these types of enemies for a while now. High defence makes them annoying, but their attack power is not especially high, so... the only real problem is that they have a "suicide bomber" attack where they self destruct, dealing some damage to everyone in the battle--and by this I mean also to the other monsters! Another clever touch in a game full of them!

All the way south, there is finally a bridge over the river.

Across the bridge to the east, there is a small village!

Welcome to Osafune!

So this place is pretty famous in Japan even today, for one particular thing. We'll find out shortly what that is. Let's talk to people.

Welcome to Osafune, the village of sword craftsmen! We don't sell here embarrassing cheap stuff like in other places!
If you go all the way west from here, you'll reach Kurashiki village. They have a bunch of storehouses there, but two of them haven't been opened for a long time...

Hm. Ok, we'll check that out later today.

Apparently a Root Clan castle, Silver Castle, has sprung up in the neigbouring Aki province. It seems it's been freezing all over the place and around Hiroshima it feels like it's winter again!

Hiroshima is actually fairly southern and doesn't really see a whole lot of snow during the winter. It's kind of at the very southern tip of the biggest Japanese island of Honshu.

There are a lot of people who look alike in the world. For example, just the other day I saw a woman who looked similar to this girl who is with you, except about double the age. They could literally be parent and child how similar they looked!

A very casual comment, but seems important. As far as we know, Kinu's mother is supposed to be dead, but who knows what really happened.

It seems that at some point without us realising the Demon Clan built a castle near Okayama town in the west and settled there. It doesn't seem to be causing any kind of harm so far, but still it feels scary so I've stopped going to Okayama.

Huh, the Demon Clan, you say? Wonder if we can find any relatives of Kinu there, or anything related to her in general.

It is said that a man introduced the art of sword-smithing to this village of Osafune. He was a swordmsmith with skills akin to those of a gaod. I've heard that the people of this village start to forge swords before they can even walk!

Well, I doubt that, but nevertheless, Osafune in real life Japan is also a place famous for its swordsmiths. Although today it only exists as part of Setouchi town into which it was integrated.

Yes, this looks like a place where swords are made.

To make a good sword, first you need an appropriate place. After all, you need to make sure you can be focused. Next, the tools. Especially the hammer used to strike the sword. Finally, of course, you need to right material for the sword, which can be difficult. But there is a way. Then you just make the sword with your chosen material and strike it with the hammer.

Sounds simple enough, I guess. Let's talk to the swordsmith himself.

Kid! A sword will only be as good as the stamina of the swordsmith! So here we go! Let's keep hitting it!

Instead of spending money on useless items, you'd be better off buying a sword from me which will last you a lifetime!

Well, let's see.

["Bizen Osafune", "Famous Sword Otokoyama"]

There are two swords here for sale, and I mean they're good, but... the prices! One of these is for Kabuki and the other for Manjimaru, and they are better than what they currently have, but although we're hardly poor, we really don't have the money for this right now.

The other guy just sells normal items.

You are not going to be able to find anything better even if you spend the whole lifetime looking for it, so why don't you buy it?

Let's see.

["Enchanted Sword Muramasa"]

Right. Ok. This is even less afordable. This one can be used by both Kabuki and Manjimaru and is in fact the strongest weapon that you can buy in the game. This is obviously very careful phrasing as there are in fact three still stronger weapons, but they cannot be obtained by buying them in a shop. Again, for now we don't really have the money for this, so either way it has to wait.

Speaking of money, in these last three provinces there are again a couple of enemies which steal your money, so you might want to be careful about it again.

Well, all right. Let's head a bit north from here.

More enemies. The crow is especially annoying because of its large HP, more than like half this game's bosses! It can also cast a strong fire spell that hits one character for like 150+ HP. It's name can mean both "dawn crow" but also a kind of a sound that crows make at dawn.

Anyway, tucked in over here is another small border village. This is one is a bit unusual for a reason you can already see on the screenshot--it provides access to another Tengu's house!

This place is called Mikazuki and leads back into Tanba province.

To the east is a Tengu's house. I wonder if I should try going there.

All right, let's keep going.

So it literally provides access just to that Tengu... ano nothing else! Note how due to the rocky ground, you can't actually land the castle here at all!

About those holy swords you guys collect... I heard that their names consist of place where it was forget alongside the person who it was forged for. For example, "Housuin Benimaru" sword has been forged at Housuin temple at Mt. Ooe, for Benimaru.
Dairei'in, Toriido, and then others like Iroha Shrine... I wonder if any of those places still exist.
Well, for now, I'll give you my "doll" scroll.

Manjimaru obtained the "doll" scroll.

The doll (人形) scroll affects one group of enemies and confuses them so that they might attack both allies and our party.

After this, we can return back to Kibi province and continue our exploration.

We'll head back west again.

A short while later, we reach a bigger town with a castle.

This is Okayama! It has nice looking canals.

Manjimaru-san from the Fire Clan! Welcome to Okayama town! Thank you for visiting!
A few days ago, a lady who said her name was Aya came to town. Apparently she's searching for her daughter. It's not so common these days that parents and children lose contact like that.

Aya, or Ayako is certainly Kinu's mother; but Kinu's mother is supposed to be dead? We'll look into this further, certainly.

Is it true that here in Kibi province there is a demon castle, led by a demon named Ura?

I don't know, you tell me?

Apparently the Root Castle has been built in the neighbouring Aki province. I wonder if people over there are doing all right?

There's a lot of lava in the north, so be careful when walking around!
Huh... the older sister standing there behind you and auntie Aya who visited the other day... they look really alike.

Well, yeah.

Cough, cough! Some kind of black pollen seems to be coming in from the west...
Tch! I went through the drawstring purse that the old man in that house there always holds close to him... but inside was only a pair of dentures!

A bit random, but sure.

After crossing the bridge to the west and going up the river, there is a cave called Zouzan there. Rumour has it that the demon castle called Yagui castle is just beyond that cave.

Isn't Aya-san the woman who was kidnapped by the chief demon back in Kyoto? Lots of people are interested in that story these days. Rumour has it that she ended up stabbing herself, but yet... she's alive somehow?

Yeah, interesting one, that.

We'll take the chance to rest at the inn and talk to the other guests.

I'm on my way to Osafune village to look for a sword. Osafune is a famous place for sword making so you should definitely get one there!

Hm, yeah, maybe later. The other two guests actually also repeat stuff we already know.

Kurashiki village is to the west of us, but there are so many Roots around recently, that I can't even go for a visit.
Something important to me was stolen! I should have just kept it in on of Kurashiki storehouses so that this wouldn't happen!

Ah. This is the dentures guy I guess.

It is said that there is a village in this province where people live who are neither humans, demons, nor Root Clan... It's called Hiba village, or something like that.
Aya-san from Kyoto married a demon, right? So I wonder if she's gone to Yagui castle now?

Well, all right. Let's check out the castle too.

I can hear a creepy rumbling from the othe side of the mountains to the north... I wonder what's going on.

Looks like there's just one dark orchid left...

Root Clan can come if they want! We'll protect this castle!

Let's head upstairs.

The Root Clan has been driven out of other parts of the country... I'm jealous...

Those chests have a couple more of those stock certificates. I'll go to Kyoto and sell them after.

The rumour is that the dark orchid has bloomed all the way to the west, in Nagato province.

The chest also has 12,000 ryo, which I'm not going to refuse! Let's go upstairs to the top floor.

The lord here seems to have his own three advisors? Anyway, we'll talk to the woman first.

Lady Aya looked like a beautiful person... as one would expect from someone coming from Kyoto. I wish I could go to Kyoto one day too...

And then we talk to the three older gentlemen...

Among the warehouses in Kurashiki village, there are apparently two whose doors cannot be opened. There is a legend that they contain some mysterious treasuer!

Well, we'll just have to find the key, won't we?

There was a request from the lord of Hiroshima to send relief supplies from our castle. Our things are stored in Kurashiki... I wonder if we'll be able to get them safely to Hiroshima?
There is a large town in Aki province, called Hiroshima. That town is at the centre of attention right now! Due to actions of the Root Clan, it has been surrounded with ice and is unable to receive food supplies from the outside!

And finally, we talk to the lord!

A lady called Aya visited the castle the other day. She asked me to tell you that when her daughter arrives here, she should go and visit Yagui castle.

Well, we were going to anyway, but not today though.

Well, that was everything in Okayama, so let's now make our way further west, to visit that Kurashiki place.

There is another, by now quite obvious, ninja hideout on the way.

Master Manjimaru! I have seen thousands of battless... but only then have I realised that at the end you're simply left with "life" or "death".
Master Manjimaru, please always remember that you're fighting for Jipang and try to survive!

A little bit to the southwest, we find a small town. Let's explore it.

Welcome to Kurashiki, the place full of storerooms! Incidentally the "kura" part from this name (倉) actually means "storehouse", so there you go!

Hmm, you don't seem to have a proper job, do you? Well, no matter! Whichever way you obtained your possessions or money, you can store them in this village's storehouses. As soon as you pay us for the storage, we no longer remember what content you put in them.
Demons are coming from the mountains, they live in a castle called Yagami castle. It blooks like they have some friends over in Nagato province, but I don't know anything about that.

Since the inn is right there, let's stop briefly and then we'll continue on.

Who is renting one of the two locked storehouses? It's just a rumour... but they say it's a mermaid. I would never rent a storehouse to a mermaid.

You are racist. Also, mermaids again. It's been a while, but we're going to be seeing them soon again! We certainly do want to find out what is in that storehouse!

There are two storehouses here in Kurashiki that haven't been opened for a long time. One of them apparently belongs to a demon named Azo. Apparently, there's also a flute stored inside.

A flute, you say? Why, that can only be a key item that we'll need to use to progress at some point. But for now, though, we do not have the key to either that storehouse or to the other one belonging to a mermaid, so they will both have to wait.

This village is very long and only really has one street which runs east-west.

Welcome to Kurashiki village, travellers! Thank you for coming! We don't really have anything here but storehouses, still feel free to take your time. If you're headed to Aki province, go a little bit north. If you walk west, you will reach Fukuyama village. Past that it's the Aki province.

Thank you for the pointers!

Before we move on, I just want to point this out. In the weapon shop here, you can buy this thing which I've highlighted, a "Safflower Kozuka", which is a dagger type weapon. But the four icons in the top right for our four characters are all greyed out, i.e. nobody is able to equip this. The game is getting a bit ahead of itself here, it seems.

Anyway, moving on, the rest of this village is just storehouses like you can see here.

At the eastern tip of the southern peninsula, a tengu lives there. Make sure to visit.

Indeed. We'll do that after we leave here.

By the way, you probably won't be surprised when I tell you that indeed, in the past, especially during Tokugawa Shogunate period, the real-life Kurashiki was indeed well known as a city of warehouses! Many of them still stand today, and look very similar to the ones in the game:

In some of the storehouses, you can find also people.

Is there anyone among you named Kinu? A woman named Aya-san came to this village the other day and asked me to tell Kinu that she's alive. That's what she said.

Huh. Is this really possible that Kinu's mother is alive?

I am one of the council members at the Okayama castle! I received a letter from the lord of Hiroshima in Aki Province asking for any kind of help, because Hiroshima seems to be frozen in ice. So I'm here arranging for any supplies to be sent to them that we can spare!
The Silver Castle appears in Aki province... a dark orchid blooms in Nagato... but strangely, nothing has happened in Kibi province.

More people outside here. You can also see one of the closed storehouses. As mentioned, we'll need their respective keys to open those!

This is one of the famous locked storehouses. Shall I tell you who owns this one?
[ Yes. ] / No.
I'll only tell it to you, please don't pass it on. It's Tsuruhime, the mermaid queen of the island of Senkaigu in the sea of Aki province!

I guess this is probably true then.

Here is the other locked one.

There are many storehouses in Kurashiki, but there are one or two whose renters are unknown. Even though I grew up here in Kurashiki, I've never seen this one be open.

It's not final yet, but it looks like I'll be able to conclude a business deal with a demon named Ura from Yagui castle. I'm actually also acquainted with another demon from Nagato, named Cain and have long been working with them.

I feel like I've seen this girl who's with you somewhere already... She looks like the spitting image of this beautiful woman I met in the mountains.

And one last storage room here.

There is a cave north of this village, beyond which is the demon castle Yagui. People in this village get nervous because of this, but I don't think they understand the point. These demons, they also have to eat food and poo poo, so how are they different from us really?

And on that high note, we'll leave this place for now. Of course, we'll return as soon as we have obtained at least one of those keys. By the way, the chests you saw around the storerooms just contain HP/MP recovery consumables.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

All right, we're back outside.

Well, let's see about that tengu that was mentioned as being nearby.

We have to go around these mountains...

...and then down the coast on the other side.

We're just on the other side of that river from Kurashiki.

As usual, enemies interrupt us! These guys, despite an incredibly straightforward name, are absolutely not to be trifled with. They have very high agility, and also strong fire spells which hit everyone, plus they can call reinforcements! You very definitely want to use defence buffs here.

Anyway, at the very very tip of that peninsula (which we had to walk around the long way), we do find a tengu's hut. I guess you could have seen it from the opposite shore.

Hey there! You know, you should be careful of Fubuki Gozen!
It's better to never ever meet that woman face to face, because she... well, she's a woman whose only purpose in life is to sniff out another persons weakness in their heart.
She's also very good as disguising herself as other people: she would kill the person she wanted to become and then would peel off the skin from their face and put it on herself!
So be careful and for that I will give you this "Mt. Fuji" scroll

Manjimaru obtained the "Mt. Fuji" scroll!

The "Mt. Fuji" (富士) scroll recovers full HP of one ally.

But, he actually has more information about this scroll!

Have you ever heard of the name Matsumushi?
Yes, it was one of the Fire Heroes from a thosand years ago! Apparently she became a Fire Hero after her lover was killed by the Roots. She was a strong female warrior.
This is a scroll which restores physical strength, but apparently Matsumushi died without using it on herself.
I guess I have no idea what it's like to be a woman, but you can have this "Mt. Fuji" scroll at least.

So, Matsumushi is the seventh Fire Hero, whose sword we're just now trying to obtain (although we haven't even found the orchid yet, to be exact).

But also this story about the Fubuki Gozen (a Root Clan henchwoman?) is interesting too. Is she the Root Clan female general we've already heard about before in relation to events that transpired on Mt. Ooe with the genocide of the demons, including there Kinu's parents? Well, let's keep our ears open for more on this story. In any case it seems that we are getting some idea what actually might be behind the "reappearance" of Kinu's mother.

All right then. After this, we head further west...

...and after crossing this bridge we find another border crossing. This one takes us to Aki province, where Hiroshima is located.

This place is called Fukuyama, which means lucky mountain(福山)! It's also a bit bigger than the typical border crossing, in particular we can definitely some kind of shrine or something like that potentially. But let's as usual first talk to the villagers.

Manjimaru-san! That chain on Kinu-san's arms... what's that all about? Why do beautiful women always do things like that to themselves?

Well, I mean it was her choice, and who are we to tell her what to do? But, game, you're honestly not as subtle as you think you are, especially after seeing that weapon that apparently there's nobody who can equip it.

There are a couple of houses on the other side, too. So let's have a look.

This is Fukuyama village! East is Aki province! West is Kibi province! ....Ah! No! It's the other way around!
Someone said they saw a beautiful woman going to the demon castle in Kibi... That makes no sense. What would a beautiful woman be doing there?

The secret of my long life is to keep walking to Kameyama shrine in the southwest and pay my respects. You too should stop the violence and go to Kameyama to contemplate your old age.

We'll go to Kameyama in a bit, but for now...

Legend has it that somewhere in Kibi province is a village called Hiba, where the god of swords lives. Apparently the swords they make can cut even iron in two! I don't think that's possible...

Hm. Another place with good swords, huh?

Over here they have a couple of pretty nicely appointed temples.

I've heard that the Silver Castle appeared off the coast near Hiroshima, turning the area around it into an icy wasteland! Manjimaru! Please go and save them!

Of course. But first, we go and visit the temples here!

It seems that the lord of the Silver Castle is an ugly elephant-like guy! I've heard that likes to strange women with his nose!

Elephant? Well, that's a new one.

There is a sacred place called Senkaigu somewhere in the Aki province... although I heard that from a fisherman, so he may have just been talking the big talk.

Yes, we know. It's where the mermaids are.

What a scary story. They say that the demons that came from Mt. Ooe have settled in a castle in Kibi province! Apparently they are led by a large demon named Ura. He probably got that large from eating people!

Yeah, well, we'll see about that. Anyway... we haven't learned too much new here, so let's move on into the Aki province.

Just by entering, things are already strange. And by this I'm referring to that weird part of the mountain there at the bottom middle. What in the world is up with that? I guess we'll have to find out!

First let's check out the map.

Not actually a lot of "land", as it's mostly small islands. There's a big patch of ice in the west, so looks like that's probably where Hiroshima is located.

Incidentally, but not surprisingly at this point, this map is somewhat realistic to the actual location in the real world:

As you can see, there's a whole bunch of small islands around the Hiroshima Bay.

In the meantime, however, there is a village right in front of us, so let's head there to start.

This place is called Onomichi and it also seems to be built on a bunch of islands! Let's see what's up.

In Kurashiki Village in Aki province, all the rich people from the area hide their assets. The villagers are the kind of people who will let you store anything as long as you pay them!
A long time ago, a young samurai crossed this bay by riding on the back of a giant turtle! That's pretty fantastic, don't you think?

A giant turtle, huh? Well, we don't need that, we have the airship now!

A person to talk to in the inn...

I came here from the Kibi province, crossing at Fukuyama. On the way, I saw a woman being dragged away by a suspicious looking bunch. The woman looked pretty similar to that girl travelling with you!

Ever since the Silver Castle appeared south of Hiroshima, it's like we've returned back to the middle of winter! If it continues like that, we won't be able to harvest this year's crops and we'll probably have to starve...

I should probably mention that the world "silver" (白銀) in Japanese can also be used metaphorically to mean something related to snow. So I guess you could also call it the Snow Castle.

The demons who were chased down from Mt. Ooe by the Root Clan have been forced to flee to this area. I feel they were quite selfish in doing that, as in my mind it's clear that they in the end caused the Root Clan to also come down here.
Looks like the Roots are searching for something called the "fresh leaf flute"... which is apparently in the possession of a demon. The demons should have just handed it over, but since they didn't, their capital at Mt. Ooe was razed.

Well, his info is wrong, because according to what we know, the flute is locked in one of the storehouses in Kurashiki. Still, either way, we have no way of getting to it at present.

On the peninsula south of this village, there is Kameyama Shrine, where you can pray for long life. But since the arrival of the Root Clan I haven't been able to do that...

By the way, "Kameyama" (亀山) means "turtle mountain" so it fits with out story about the samurai who rode on a turtle. It is however also a real-world location near Hiroshima.

No one will believe me, but I've seen a mermaid off the southern coast! I know, you don't believe me either. I would love to meet one of them and become friends. Feel free to laugh at me.

Legend has it that Mt. Kame which is right next to Kameyama Shrine was actually a giant living turtle that lived until about one thousand years ago. I'm pretty sure that the name of that turtle is supposed to be Benkei. Ah well, it's just a legend anyway.

Musashibo Benkei (武蔵坊弁慶) is a legendary 12th century Japanese warrior monk. Here is a 18th century drawing of him:

By Kikuchi Yosai (1788-1878) - Unknown, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=609828

All right, that's everything for here for now.

But you know what, let's check out that shrine, maybe we'll find out more about the turtle situation!

Welcome to Kamiyama Shrine! As you can see, there's a big stone turtle in that pond. I am very much not surprised.

I came here to pray for longevity! The Kameyama Shrine is dedicated to a giant turtle, turtles can lie for 10,000 years in contrase to cranes which can only live for 1,000 years!

I guess we're talking tortoises here really rather than turtles. Still, even giant tortoises can only generally live up to around 150-200 years and not 10,000. Needless to say cranes (the birds) do not live 1,000 years, but only about 30 or so. If you want a long lived bird species, then you should look into parrots as they can generally live around 100 years or so.

According to the legend, Yoshitsune, one of the Fire Heroes, rode a giant turtle and was freely able to traverse the straits here. That turtle, Benkei, is the deity of this shrine!

You know, I was thinking. The Steel Castle can't actually land on sea, so having a turtle to ride would be useful here potentially. Just a thought.

Other than the turtle pond, the only other thing here is the actual shrine building.

First we'll talk to the shrine maiden:

I have a little experience in divination, so I can tell your fortune!
......!!!
I see a faint light being swallowed up by an immense darkness!

Ugh, what.

Let's talk to two monks too:

In order to break the curse of turtle Benkei, you need something called "fresh leaf flute". But I have no idea where it is... except that the demons stoled it from the Root Clan one thousand years ago.

Yeah, it's not actually with the demons, but it might be that the key to the storage room is. We'll have to see. So I guess if we find the flute, we can ride a giant turtle again? We don't know yet what that might be useful for, though.

The mermaid village is supposed to be somewhere in this province... and apparently one of the Fire Heroes from one thousand years ago was from there.

Hmm, interesting. The only two Fire Heroes who are women is Shizuka (the blind warrior) and the one we just learned about (Matsumushi) whom nobody mentioned being a mermaid. Maybe it's someone else?

All right, let's head west and investigate the situation at Hiroshima.

Well, yeah. That spear is definitely an icicle, so... Apart from a normal attack he has another "big swing" which can crit. But no ice spells or anything like that.

The arms may be slender, but the hands sure are huge! Unlike the last enemy, this one does have ice spells, and is also a bit tougher because of high defence.

Anyway, after a while of going west, we finally reach Hiroshima, which is at the northern end of a frozen area. If you step on the ice, it makes you skate around (like that ice dungeon we had at the start of the game). So it's not possible to just walk around normally--you always slide to the next wall or to the edge of it. This is important for reasons I'll explain shortly. In the meantime, let's enter the town and see how it looks in there.

Ok, yeah, the southern part if completely frozen. Not great. We can talk to a few people. Like that girl there.

I hate this ice! You always slide around on it so I keep falling down!

In here at least you can walk normally, but it doesn't help much since the frozen over buildings cannot be entered anyway.

Many townspeople have taken refuge in the castle, so the houses are mostly empty, therefore I'm keeping watch over them. Although, if I can't enter the frozen house, neither can the thieves, so... Ugh, it's cold!

Luckily for us, the inn itself is not frozen! But there's nothing interesting to hear, so we move on back outside.

As you can see, half the town is frozen, so townspeople have moved into the castle!

Here I take a moment to put most of my money into storage because, yeah, there are again money-stealing enemies around. And they will just casually take like 10,000 ryo from you in just one attack! So better safe than sorry, for sure.

And then we head into the castle!

I go regularly to Kameyama Shrine to pray for longevity, but with this cold, I'm not going to be long for this world.
I was contemplating going through Nishiki pass west into Nagato province, but now there's a dark orchid there! It's kind of a "tiger at the front door, wolf at the back door" sort of situation, I guess... Only darkness in our future...
The lord of Silver Castle is a bastard named Hyakkanmaru. I hear he's quite women-crazy, and will surely soon be coming here too... Just thinking what he may do to me makes me nauseous...

drat! If it stays like this, the fields we grew with our own sweat will be destroyed! I could cry...

We head upstairs.

The ice is getting bigger every day... I wonder if Iwakuni village in the south is affected? My parents live there...
How long will this continue? I want the shrine maiden from Kameyama to tell me my fortune!
It's very cold! Do you think it would be ok to make a bonfire here?

By the order of the lord, the soldiers went to investigate the Silver Castle, but according to them, the ice around the castle is very slippery and they coudln't come close to it.

My house was frozen, so the lord arranged for me to evacuate to this castle. I wonder if I'll ever be able to go back...

Again, we continue upstairs.

But this staircase leads just to a small room.

Since Hiroshima's supplies have run out, our lord has asked the lord of Okayama for relief. I would hope that by now some of those warehouses in Kurashiki have been opened and that they are preparing a shipment.

Indeed, they are preparing it, as we've heard.

The name of the enemy henchman is Hyakkanmaru! Not only does he have incredible physical strength, but also his ice magic... he will be difficult to defeat.

Well, we'll see about that, won't we?

Taking a different staircase up, leads to the area where the lord of Hiroshima sits.

Let's talk first to all the other people standing around here.

What to do... If it continues like this, the whole town will soon be encased by ice!
We sent a letter to Okayama asking for relief, but I heard that also a demon castle had recently been built in Kibi. I can't sleep at night from worry if our messenger got through all right!
It seems that the dark orchids Master Manjimaru already cut down were always attached to shrines and temples, but now it's just grown randomly in the middle of Nagato province. Did the Root Clan choose this as a location which is easier to defend? Please be careful!
At the request of our lord, I tried to infiltrate the Silver Castle multiple times, but was unable to do so. It's easy enough to get close to it, but when you try to get inside you just... slllllllliiiiiide past!

We'll have a look at the Silver Castle situation shortly, as it's just south of Hiroshima. But for now, let's talk to the princess.

Master Manjimaru! The lord has tried everything to defeat the Silver Castle, but now we have run out of options... if things continue like this, the whole town will be destroyed! Please, we need the help of Fire Heroes to destroy the Root castle!

And finally we talk to the lord.

Fire Heroes! We weren't even powerful enough to be able to enter the Silver Castle in the first place! Please help us!

Sure, sure. But for now, we leave here and let's have a closer look at the situation in the vicinity.

While sllllliiiiiding around on the ice, you can get a good look at the Silver Castle, but there's no way to slide around in such a way that you end up next to it! So we'll have to do it some other way.

I don't know what to say to this. Luckily none of these are particularly special so we dispatch them with ease. I guess Kinu there is in the red because she got KOd in a previous battle. In this game when you're KOd you lose both HP and MP and revived with only 1 point in each after a few steps. So Bone Sword also comes in handy to remedy that situation.

Anyway, turns out, near the southern edge of ice, there is a small village!

This place is called Iwakuni and it's very small! Iwakuni means "rock country" in Japanese, but is actually a real place name.

Thank you for visiting Iwakuni village! Please enjoy your stay. You can use the Nishiki pass a bit north from here to cross into Nagato province!

However, we'll leave them be for now, since there really isn't anything new to be learned by talking to the villagers here

However, looking a bit more closely, reveals an interesting geographical situation. If we could get access to this island, then we could slide straight up towards the Silver Castle and access it that way! But the island is too small to be able to land our airship there, so I guess we'll have to find a different means of transport in order to accomplish this (I'm pretty sure it's all completely obvious by now).

But, speaking of airship, let's call it up now and have a bit of a look if there's anything interesting among those little islands.

Let's see...

Huh. I think we found the mermaids. I expect we have to go through that cave to enter their village. The only problem is, neither of the two islands has a big enough clear surface for us to land. So this too will have to use the other way.

Wait, this looks suspicious. We've already seen that kind of four-rock formation and it usually leads to a hidden tengu! So, I'm not even sure if this is by design or by accident, especially since there is an alternate way to somehow get here via that ice path, but if you fiddle with it a bit, it's actually possible find the exact pixel perfect spot where you can land the airship here!

Like this, right here. But anyway, going in between the four rocks reveals...

...that this is indeed a hidden tengu! But it's just one of those which allows you to reduce the MP cose of one spell by 1. So there is no lore dialogue to be found or anything like that. Oh well.

So, ok, after extricating ourselves from that island, we'll cross here via Nishiki into Nagato province.

It's Manjimaru-san from the Fire Clan! There is only one dark orchid left! Please keep going!
There is a dark orchid blooming in Nagato! So I ran away here to my family in Aki.

Let's see if we can find the orchid.

We found some enemies, but despite high HP this one is pretty nondescript.

These guys are actually more dangerous as they hit pretty hard.

Anyway, we'll go south past some cave entrances...

...and find another small place to visit. It sure feels like we've travelled half the country today, doesn't it?

Welcome to Ogo'ori! Due to the nature of this part of the game, inevitably there's going to be a fair amount of repetition in what the villagers are saying, so we'll listen to the more interesting ones and skip most of those who repeat things we already know.

If you go north along the mountains, you'll reach Nishiki pass. A bit further north than that and you'll arrive at Hagi village, the largest in this province. Well, there's actually only two villages in this province anyway , so I hope it's bigger than ours!
Akiyoshi cave has many entrances and they are all intricately connected inside... Even us locals get lost easily.

Yeah, so remember that huge cave system we had to traverse earlier on in the game? Well, there's an even bigger one in this province! But luckily, we don't need to do that yet, although we'll dip our toes in today at least to pick up some easily reachable items.

Some people in the inn. A guy in the sleeping area...

Apparently there's a demon castle here, just like the one in Kibi province! I hope nothing bad happens!

And also the naked lady in the pool area over there.

I saw two large cats, one red and one yellow, enter the Akiyoshi cave. Be careful that they don't attack you as they looked to be about twice as big as normal Root monsters.

An upcoming boss fight, sure.

A demon castle has been built on the western cape... With both that and the dark orchid, I worry that something bad will happen any moment.
Have you heard o the Chief Demon? Apparently demons in this castle are being led by someone who was formerly a direct subordinate of him.

Well, I don't think we have too much to worry from the demons, honestly. Also, as always, "Chief Demon" refers to Shuten-doji.

They have a nice stone path here leading to the temple. Let's go inside.

I think I saw a hot-air balloon flying around... These days even in this rural area you see such advanced things... I wonder who was in it.

Yes. I wonder that too.

Well, let's see what else is here then.

Well, for one, more enemies can definitely be found. They cast way strong fire spells, but are not resistant to physical damage, so Manjimaru's technique that hits all enemies can deal with them fairly easily. I also love this enemy design for some reason.

I assume probably by mistake, but this space here between the mountains and the river's edge is actually too tight for our characters to pass through. So you'll need to go back south, go east across a bridge, then go north again to this bridge you see here, where you can cross back to the western side. Since there's no gameplay/story reason for this way to be blocked, it has to be just a mistake by the developers.

Or you can continue north along the eastern side...

...and reach a somewhat out of the way tengu's house!

I heard there is a village named Hiba in the northwestern mountains of the Kibi province. The people there made the sword that Shizuka was using 1000 years ago.
I don't know what kind of relationship they have with the Fire Clan, but maybe they're not the enemies. Actually I'm pretty sure they're not. So perhaps when this war is over you should go and pay them a visit.

Or maybe even before this war is over!

Well, let's get on with it. I don't know how much use it will be to you, but I will give you my "rainbow dragon" scroll.

Manjimaru obtained the "rainbow dragon" scroll.

The "rainbow dragon" scroll is a technique shimmering with the seven colours of the rainbow, but I'm not sure how useful it is really. When you use it, one of the seven effects will happen to you, but be careful as one of them will make your life harder.

So the "rainbow dragon" (虹竜) scroll, when used in battle, will instead cast randomly one of the seven other spells. Six of them are various offensive/defensive/buff spells, but the last one is the spell which increases your encounter rate after the battle. Like all "dragon" spells, it can only be used by Kabuki, but as he said, I'm also not sure about the usefulness of it in the end.

Incidentally, this is also the final spell you can get from Tengus. There are a couple more spells in the game, but they are obtained in other ways. The last couple of tengu that remain in the game are only the MP decreasing ones. If nothing else, this should be a good indicator that we truly are very close to the end of the game. For now though...

...let's go back south and cross this bridge to the west.

More cave entrances. They're all part of that large cave system we've been told about. But what's that in lower left corner there?

Oh, hey. There it is. We've found the last orchid. It looks surrounded by mountains so we'll have to approach some other way. In fact, the way to get to the orchid is to find the right path through the caverns. Considering that we don't even have the holy sword yet, it's probably not worth bothering with that just yet.

However, there are a couple easily reachable items in these caverns, so we'll pop in quickly to do that as they will be useful to us. There are some tough enemies in here, but it's really worth it.

First we'll go in here...

Since we'll have to traverse these caverns properly later, for now I'm not going to go into detail (including the new enemy types). But after a relatively short walk from the entrance, we can reach this location.

Two of the five chests are empty. One contains an item ("tide turning dust") which is a full HP/MP heal of the entire party, including revival of any KOd members with full HP/MP.

The next chests has the... "Purple Dragon Carapace" which is an armour piece.

Equipping it on Manjimaru gives him a nice +17 is defence!

The final chest has the "Enchanted Sword Muramasa"! You might have noticed that I wasn't getting too bothered about buying those half-million ryo swords in the sword-making village, well here's why. You can just find the most expensive of them (540,000 ryo!) for free literally lying around here! We'll give it to Manjimaru...

...for a nice +16 in attack power.

That means that at least for now, Kabuki can take over Manjimaru's previous weapon. It's only +1 in attack compared to his previous equipment, but... it doesn't cost us anything, so why not.

So that's all in this part of the cave for now.

Back outside, we'll head into this entrance here.

Again, close to the entrance is this location. One chest has a consumable, but the other has Asura's Helmet.

Equipping this on Manjimaru is a nice +7 in defence.

Kabuki can again take over Manjimaru's former helmet for an additional +1 in defence.

So, it didn't take very long to do, but in return we have some nice equipment upgrades which would have otherwise cost a lot of money to buy in shops!

All right then. It was a VERY long day of exploring the new areas, but we'll stop for a bit of rest now.

Next time, we have a small bit of exploration to finish (including another well hidden tengu!) but then it's going to be a very plot-focused episode with a long-awaited event finally taking place!

So take care and I'll see you then!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is the long awaited event Kinu removing her shackles and unleashing her true power like this is an episode of DBZ?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Duke Pepe's head is tossed in for reasons, and he says something along the lines of "Kinu! You have to let go! I love you!" before getting unceremoniously stomped and Kinu losing her poo poo.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

Is the long awaited event Kinu removing her shackles and unleashing her true power like this is an episode of DBZ?

Oh yeah!

And remember what Duke Pepe said about her attack power.

Incidentally, I still remember the days in Final Fantasy X when I made Yuna hit for 99999 HP because it's much much easier to max out physical attack than magic in that game... Fun times.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So now that we have freedom of travel, are there any super-tough challenge optional dungeons or anything in the game?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

PurpleXVI posted:

So now that we have freedom of travel, are there any super-tough challenge optional dungeons or anything in the game?

Unfortunately not. :(

The only optional bosses are the four which guard the red chests, which we have already defeated all of them (and which are just 4 copies of the exact same boss anyway). Other than that, there are a few small hidden items and such (like that "infernal ball" and a couple more we'll see in the next update), but that's it as far as that goes. There is no extra optional dungeons or any other kind of "post-game" content in this game.

But you do have to bear in mind that this game came out in early 1992 so that sort of stuff wasn't really a thing yet so much. This was one of the first JRPGs ever that came out on a CD. Apparently this game's predecessor, the first Tengai Makyou game, was actually the first, in 1989--that was about a year before Super Famicom even was released, just to put it into perspective!

So we have probably by my calculation about 2-3 updates left and then we're done with this game. But I do have plans for something a little bit more in this thread, so we'll probably continue for a bit longer after we're done with Manjimaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a bit sad to know we're that close to the ending but I saw it coming considering we finally got a vehicle that isn't getting dropped.