Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah... it's an entire thing in various SE Asia cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Clam Princess sounds like some kind of seafood special, like an upscale version of a Clambake

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Translation notes are great, especially as also gives insight how some games get picked to be localized and why some may get passed (like this not only the manji issue but a title puzzle that involves kanji shenanigans that'd be impossible to do in English)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

my only guess is Kinu's hair is actually too short to do the full wedding style - it did look like it stopped above her shoulders in the cutscene, while Manjimaru has the big fluffy/spiky anime hair

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yes, I have a suspicion where this is going, and again I love that Gokuraku is the one who came up with this

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Figures they'll do something to make room for Kabuki.

honestly I'm a bit worried about the other dogs, given the origins of an Inugami, but I'm not sure if the game will go that far.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man what is it about live action adaptations having *Atrocious* wigs?

I mean Kabuki has colors not found in nature, but it looks like they didn't even attempt to fit it (and using the bandana to hide it doesn't fit correctly), even with characters with natural hair colors the wigs just look extremely fake in lot of these.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 16, 2023

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Item Getter posted:

It somehow works in the game's art style, but they sure stand out like a sore thumb against the drab-colored realistic period drama settings and costumes.

honestly that's probably the big thing, everyone else looks drab, giving some extras colorful wigs or brighter clothes and it wouldn't stand out so much

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Can I say I really love some of the enemy names in this name? It's really hard to pick a favorite.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh certainly, most times that'd be less interesting but sometimes you get gems like Y burns out of it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

what's interesting is the two guys in upstairs room of the inn have the stereotypical thief/burglar design, just in case the dialogue isn't obvious enough.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah that is a surprisingly *brutal* cutscene - even with all the darker stuff you really didn't see that kind of blood and explicit maiming (Hell you could see the woman's *bone* from her ripped off arm) until now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nurarihyon is honestly curious as he's often a major bad guy in almost every iteration of Gegege no Kitaro, when other Yokai (that weren't made up for the series) can shift from being heroic to antagonistic depending on which series.

But man that's some obnoxious flashing lights in the final cutscene but the ending is quite sweet.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Definitely feels like this game is a good bit raunchier than the previous one but given how much of a shameless skirt-chaser Kabuki is, it makes some sense.

While the change in the combat system is more appealing, I do miss the flourishes in boss fight animation you got in the previous game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ah there's that surprisingly gorey bit that's been missing from the game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I do love Leiji Matsumoto's works, so I'm gonna be biased towards Yamato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, it's really easy to make someone like Kabuki extremely obnoxious, but while he's definitely a scoundrel, he still has many good qualities about him.