Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
I just noticed that this map is using the four cardinal beasts for navigation as opposed to N/S/E/W, that's a pretty neat detail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the LP, the game was nice, although it got a bit dark near the end - good thing that the ending made things better.

From what I understand, the first Tengai Makyou game is also set in Jipang, just on the eastern half; are there any references to the lore from this game (the Fire/Root clans, Mari/Yomi) or is it a completely separate story/mythos?

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

ivantod posted:

Y'know, when I watched this video I thought it was odd how the VA pronounced the name "Ziria", and then it clicked when the names of the other Tengai Makyou 1 party members were mentioned:

Aren't these three's names a reference to Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru, well-known characters of an old japanese folk-tale?

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

ivantod posted:

Indeed they are, but I'm using the spelling "Ziria", because that's how the game publisher officially spells it, as seen on the game CD case:

But when written in Japanese with katakana, then it's written as ジライア (Jiraia) which is also how you heard it pronounced in the cutscene.

Ahahaha now I'm not sure if the game devs butchered the romanization intentionally or if it was an honest mistake; to be fair, romanization for a lot of Japanese media back in the 80s/early 90s was all over the place so I can see them spelling the name like that. (I thought that the name was pronounced like Syria the country)

But knowing that these were also the folks behind Linda Cubed makes me think that it's intentional/a troll, so who's to say what's right