Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
ah, what a beautiful Jipang [chew]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I like the asides on folklore and translations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man that's actually loving cool.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well that's certainly a first party member to gain.

I feel like this game is kind of interesting in that the moving-around graphics are so comparatively simple and then you have these awesomely detailed character headshots and enemy sprites, and the cutscene with the Dark Orchid.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, uh, that got a bit darker at the end than I was expecting. :gonk:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, no kidding about the scale of the world, this is huge!

How big a part of the total world have we seen so far?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Some of those attack sprites really look cool.

And man, more jRPG vehicles need to come with usable cannons. Hell yeah that owns.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fingers crossed, but looking forward to the next game if this one's a wash.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Will there be a new thread for it or will it be in here, too?

Excited the LP gets to continue, though!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

W-wait is he... is he really gone? Noooooooooooooooooo.

He was absolutely the funniest part of the game to me, I kind of expected him to stick around through the game like Gilgamesh or something, after the rooftop battle and the theater(and you weren't kidding, the rooftop battle was hilarious).

I was even kind of suspecting maybe he'd end up being the third or fourth party member somehow.

RIP to a real cool dude.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Is there some joke I missed with the schedule that makes it something other than what it looks like?

Honestly my thinking was that it was a schedule for who had to listen to him that day, not something greasier, since the first caged guy complained about that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ah, access to a Lump of Salt, exactly what every legendary hero needs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I still miss Kikogorou.

I also love that for so much of its span this game just looks like a, nicely sprited, but unexceptional jRPG, then you get stuff like the arrow, the interface between the red lake and the blue river, all the goofiness with the vehicles, etc. it never stops being impressive.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

After defeating the final boss, the traffic cops catch up with Manjimaru and fine him for multiple instances of months-long illegal parking.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man Gokuraku really hates rocks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Attack of the Clones looking good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Always fun to see another update of this charming game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The sprite work for this game is really great, and it keeps surprising with goofy stuff like the minecart ride.

I also absolutely love the sea tub music.

I'm assuming that the fifth of Princess Clam's elite goons is a sea urchin... but what animal is the third supposed to be? Sea cucumber?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Poor Princess Clam.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Those two... things going off the side of Princess Clam's human sprite keep making me think of those AI generated photos where people had extra limbs. Amd does this mean her human form was technically just her tounge?

Clams usually have a pair of siphons that they use for inhaling and exhaling water as part of their filter feeding, even if in most cases they're hidden by the shell, so I imagine they're what we can see.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Neat! ... still reminds me of the extra limbs in AI images.

Oh, yeah, for sure, but I need to share my extensive collection of largely-pointless trivia every now and then.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...okay I did not expect that. Now I'm deeply excited for the next update(I already was, but now even more so!).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

But can we pet the dog?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Chain of Purity to me implies that Silk would go all "Doomguy with a Berserker Pack" if her hands weren't tied.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

I'm glad you enjoy the "translation notes", but please let me know if anybody at any point feels it's too much since I can sometimes get a bit distracted. :v:

I always find translation notes interesting, sometimes they can teach you some neat things!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I can't believe Shiro didn't get a dress, too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...spider car.

That was a weird goddamn vehicle. More games need poo poo like that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

Is Manto still stuck in that hole? I'm gonna go piss on him!

lmao, I'm probably juvenile but I loved the whole Manto bit. I love me a good comedy boss.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow yeah no kidding about things getting a bit dark.

I expected wearing the pig-leather gear to get you turned into pigs, too, but I guess it just makes you feel like a bad person.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

While this remains a game I'm pretty sure would wear out my patience pretty early if I tried playing it myself, it's always cool seeing the new things it keeps doing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

To be honest I think the game works best if you view it as a kind of a road trip thing. While the game is by any measure absolutely huge* in size (again, you know, having a full CD of available space compared to a SNES cartridge lets you do stuff like that), it also has a more episodic, road trip-like structure, which I think helps to not overwhelm the player. And yeah, you may have to go around and talk to people to figure out what to do next, but it's usually within a limited area and you never have to go back to a place from 20 hours ago to get a hint how to proceed. And it also gave the authors the opportunity, as you say, to just keep doing something new and different in every "chapter" because it doesn't need to be relevant past that limited section of the game. I feel they did a really good job here to keep the player interested to continue.

Yeah, every chapter has a cool, neat gimmick or idea of some sort. It just feels like, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're cutting out a lot of generic jRPG random encounters in between every noteworthy thing, which are a thing that do not spark joy in me, as they say. It's one aspect of "old school" game design that I'm glad most developers have dropped.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I pray that the lack of Kikugorou in the boss rush was because he's still out there. Please don't let him be gone, he's the best villain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That intro for the STARFISH CASTLE really reminded me of older anime in a great way, not exactly sure which anime but it just kind of had that vibe, with the mix of camp and serious and feeling like it takes some cues from non-animated TV.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love the design of the Speedbird, it's rad.

Also really? There's nothing else undersea? Despite it, presumably, covering all of the game's sea? Or in the lakes or anything? Sad.

Additionally, what's up with those "Orangutans"? Odd translation or just an odd name?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

Orangutans are I guess just a reference to the real life orangutan apes:

I'm not sure there's anything else to it beyond that.

Oh, yeah, I mean, I know what orangutans are. Just, those enemies did not seem very orangutan-y. So I was thinking that maybe in Japanese the name for orangutans is close enough for a pun to reference some demon or something. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

Sorry about missing this. The one time I decide not to look into it further it turns out you are right and there was more there. :(

Apologies.

Oh, no, that's fine. :D I'm just glad you're providing all this neat context.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So now that we have freedom of travel, are there any super-tough challenge optional dungeons or anything in the game?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was a gory goddamn cutscene, I love it, though, really well-executed!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, I was surprised by that end, with what was coming up to it, I expected it to be notably... darker.

Because goddamn I know that most jRPG's have some, uh, killy moments, but goddamn that was like putting the cast through a meat grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Also say, out of curiosity, since the ULTIMATE SWORD is empowered by the protagonist's max hit points, does that mean that you could make it arbitrarily powerful with sufficient tolerance for grinding?