Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Well, our companion may be somewhat of a jackass, but I'll take him over a certain...old man...from one of LJN's lp's. Seriously, screw that creep.

The old man, not LJN; LJN (as far as I know) is a swell guy.

Well poo poo, never thought I'd see the day I would get personally referenced in a completely unrelated LP I'm reading.

For context, Gilgamesh is talking about...ugh, Plosi from Ephemeral Fantasia, whose most notable moment was committing a "funny" act of sexual assault on a female party member you brought him.

Definitely worse than Kabuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Is this game going to be a revolving door of temp companions? Or will we get a proper party at some point?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

We finally have a proper third party member. Here's hoping they don't piss off after one boss fight.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Well, uh...I'm a little disappointed Kabuki wasn't here to be forced to wear a dress.

Wonder what pit we'll have to drag him out of next?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

ivantod posted:

P.S. Wait until you see this one weird trick I use to make my life easier with the final boss!

The Root Clan hates him! Local LPer exposes shocking anti-final boss secret.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Thanks for the ride thus far, ivantod.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

ivantod posted:

So, as a matter of fact, at the beginning, all kabuki performers were actually female, but eventually, there started to appear complaints that it is "not moral" for women to perform like that, and in 1629, the shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu, decreed that women are from that point on forbidden from performing in kabuki, and this lead to most of them being replaced by male actors, resulting in the form of kabuki we're all familiar today. But it did start first with all performers being women. Clearly in our story, both male and female actors coexist at the same time.

Of course what happened first was that young men started taking on the roles of women, but that too was banned for being "immoral", and thus only the manliest of men could be on stage doing manly mens things. Nothing immoral or erotic about that, of course!

Kabuki wouldn't even be allowed to pretend to womanize on stage in the real Japan.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I feel like there was a mild missed opportunity to name the guy "Millennium Karune", what with the Egyptian pharaoh theme and Yugioh's millennium items.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This game is three years older than Yu-Gi-Oh so unless they could see the future, that'd be impossible.

I was talking about Ivantod, not the devs. This game was never localized in English.

And if it's not clear, they use the same word (Sennen = Thousand-Years = Millennium) that Yugioh went on to use for the items in question.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

ivantod posted:

Well, in my defence I have basically zero familiarity with Yugioh, so that part was never going to happen no matter what. :v:

I guess translating this as "Millennium" would definitely have been an option, but it didn't come to my mind at the time. Anyway the guy is now gone, so we'll never have to deal with it again! ;)

Oh, yeah, fair enough, if you don't know Yugioh, you don't know Yugioh.

It was never a big deal, just thought it would have made a fun reference.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Might just need one more post on the default layout, right?

Then the special page will be ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

ivantod posted:

That's, uh, some gift, huh?

In the video he mentions the Order of the Garter, which is a real English knightly order that still exists to this day.

The devs sure did dip into some obscure English lore, and I respect that.