Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
So I think have an idea of what happened regarding that "conflicting information", though I'm wagering you and some others might have pieced it together by now.

The rumors that the old man had the awesome biwa and a dinky biwa are both true, it just so happens that they occured at different times. He at one point borrowed the awesome biwa, but had it taken back at some point. The old man, possibly missing the sweet biwa, made an offering to the statue, making his drawing of a biwa come to life(?), albeit questionable looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Well, our companion may be somewhat of a jackass, but I'll take him over a certain...old man...from one of LJN's lp's. Seriously, screw that creep.

The old man, not LJN; LJN (as far as I know) is a swell guy.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Snorb posted:

Phantasy Star IV was the only JRPG I've ever seen with vehicle combat. (Final Fantasy III had the airship Invincible start combats you got into by casting Meteor opening fire on your opponents to soften them up, but otherwise it was down to the Warriors of Light like any other combat.)

Don't forget Final Fantasy Legends 3's/SaGa 3's own airship, where you could run into random encounters with it, and it would start off the battle with whatever weapon you equipped on it. And that's not getting into when you face off with the eldritch abomination threatening to flood your world, and your ship shows up to provide damage every round. It's not a whole lot at this point, but it's still neat. It's more touching when you realize it's your dad, whose brain is acting as the ship's computer, is trying to help his son out in a slightly more proactive manner for this last fight.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...well, gently caress. I'd recommend seeing if someone has the save file online, but what are the chances that they have this game, and played in a similar enough way to you?

Yeah, probably best to move on to the next game.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
My guess is, Gokuraku was actually a somewhat fairly swell guy, but wound up saying or doing something stupid, causing his mermaid waifu to leave him, crying. Distraught, he drank her tears as a weird way of remembering her, then went to drink his sorrows away, and caused much property damage, resulting in him being locked up, with the rumors getting twisted as the years passed.

edited for possible spoilers.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Poor Princess Clam.

:yossame:

I more or less saw the twist coming, though I expected her to be the big guy's ex-wife.

Also, oh nooo, Kabuki didn't come back, whatever shall we doooo~. :dealwithit:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...And like that, we've already found a suitable replacement for Kabuki. /shittalk

But yeah, like the other poster said, I'm guessing we're hitting Tanuki village

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Randalor posted:

Awwww, I was looking forward ro the dog having its leg cut off, a monstrous arm attached, it runs away and the next time we see it, it had become the head of a giant gang.

No no, that would only apply if there was an impending apocalypse coming.

...I mean, sure, you could argue that the poo poo the dark clan is pulling could be construed as a possible incoming apocalypse, but no, we kind of have ancient ancestral blood and possibly a prophecy on our side.

...I might need a fact check on the prophecy part.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Randalor posted:

A redhead with facial hair disguising himself as a bride-to-be? Not only will he pull it off, he'll eat the whole buffet while he's at it.

Honestly, I had a certain other god/demigod in mind, specifically more of this game's region, but yeah, I can see Gokuraku pulling what you said off.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...The awesomeness of getting a mecha is pretty dampened by Shiro's loss. Good boy, Shiro, good boy. :(

Yeah, I know that he's most likely going to come back, but there's also a good chance the second time he rescues us, he'll be gone for good.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Duke Pepe everywhere system :v:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Duke Pepe's head is tossed in for reasons, and he says something along the lines of "Kinu! You have to let go! I love you!" before getting unceremoniously stomped and Kinu losing her poo poo.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Randalor posted:

Okay, I watched the ending finally. I did have to laugh at Yomi's "Humanity is the combination of the Fire Clan and Root Clan" when the strongest person in the party is half-demon and another member is a thousand years old. I think we need to set some definitions here.

Speaking of, I may have missed something, but IS Gokuraku actually 1000 years old? That would mean he was alive during the original war between the two clans, and seems like something that should have been a major deal, but I don't remember that at all. I am phone posting, so reviewing past updates is kind of a pain, mind.

Yeah, I think he's alive due to feasting on his mermaid waifu's flesh, which is obviously very taboo. I'm also assuming she was already dead at the time for reasons I can't recall, and Gokuraku most likely partook of her in grief in some odd way of honoring her memory.

Also, apparently Fire Clan back then had some serious game, if they were able to use the Root Clan's ultra competitiveness to get them in bed.

"Hah! See how feeble you are, Fire Clan, to be groveling at my feet! In what matter am I not your superior?!"
"In bed~"
"...Okay, I know you're playing me, but I'll play your game to amuse you, and prove that the Root Clan is superior!"

"...Oh. Wow. Uh, turns out there's something I'm not superior in."
"Well, I'm up for another round or too, if you are~"

"And that, child, is how you were born."
"...aaaaaaAHHHHH-----" :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

Given we've gotten deep into the Key of Solomon with the enemy names now, are you sure Garp isn't supposed to be Gaap rather than Luffy's grandpa? (though this probably predates even the first chapter of One Piece)

Also I was waiting for some kind of other shoe to drop on all those arbitrary sword transformations, but I guess it's just a thing that happens for some reason.

Oh, good, I wasn't the only one thinking of Vice Admiral Garp.