Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

toadee posted:

Most of this thread just seems to have a vested personal interest in the failure of the game. I play often and see the same things you do, with an active group of friends who never gave a poo poo about PvE and don't event pay attention to most of the social media grumbling. Fact is a game that is top 10 on streaming and social platforms month after month is very popular. More than that, nobody has numbers of their own to say much conclusive one way or the other.

I guess im one of those ex players with the "burn it all down" mentality because it seemed like they had a good thing going with OW1. The potential to still play a fun and colorful game with the low stakes of PvE sounded great, but then they just seemed to dick it up in the most clownshoes way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think OW2 is definitely not a dead game or a failure (except by the insane expectations of a major corporation), but I think that any hype and goodwill OW2 may have had in the wider gaming community has been completely burned. Like, yeah the gameplays still very solid regardless of how you feel about 5v5 vs 6v6, and the devs are definitely putting in a lot of work to keep it interesting, but that doesn't change the fact that Blizzard sold everyone a bill of goods with OW2's PvE and that really soured the perception of the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i think a lot of the cynicism about it is more towards blizzard/activision than feelings about the game itself. I'd like ow to do well because I enjoyed the hell out of the game and it would be cool if it did well again. that said I can't shake the feeling that the only thing saving it from going the way of HoTS is that blizzactms is very aware of how limited blizzard's money making IPs are.

personally i'd probably be a bit more sold on the 'game is doing fine trust us' stuff if they weren't withholding bonuses from the people working on the game

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

OW2 is not a dead game but it is a hell of a lot less fun for me than OW1. I hadn't played probably since season 4 or 5. Picked it up again with season 9 and played every day until two days ago when I realized I was just not having fun. I hate how much more stompy it is. Every match has one team with double the kills than the other and barely any contest. It isn't fun to win without effort and it isn't fun to lose hopelessly. The only gamemode that it seems you can turn around mid-match is flashpoint, and even that is mostly stompy.

Also the matchmaking/points are still silly. Almost every match I win with a stomp is set as an "uphill battle" and almost every match I get stomped is a "reversal".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and 5v5 kinda sucks because either the tank is a bullet sponge who does nothing or the entire game swings on how good the tank player is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toadee posted:

Most of this thread just seems to have a vested personal interest in the failure of the game. I play often and see the same things you do, with an active group of friends who never gave a poo poo about PvE and don't event pay attention to most of the social media grumbling. Fact is a game that is top 10 on streaming and social platforms month after month is very popular. More than that, nobody has numbers of their own to say much conclusive one way or the other.
i think the fact that they cancelled the devs' bonuses because they said it underperformed feels like a pretty conclusive number op

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Endorph posted:

i think the fact that they cancelled the devs' bonuses because they said it underperformed feels like a pretty conclusive number op

A companies unrealistic targets for profit on PvE and the players in game numbers on free PvP modes don't necessarily line up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bonuses and the pve underperforming are separate. the bonuses are based on the game's profit for that half-year in general. the pve bombing led to the pve team getting laid off.

is it that hard to believe the game is somewhat underperforming?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Endorph posted:

the bonuses and the pve underperforming are separate. the bonuses are based on the game's profit for that half-year in general. the pve bombing led to the pve team getting laid off.

is it that hard to believe the game is somewhat underperforming?

No, but the companies goals may have simply been unrealistic - a game can still be popular and in no danger of dying, and an executive can make unrealistic expectations for it at the same time. I thought I had read in one of the articles that the profit targets had specifically rested on the PvE content but maybe not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think the game's in any danger of dying, and it clearly has a playerbase, but its not nearly as popular as several other successful PVP games, even ones of a similar age. it isn't a massive failure but it is not that successful, relative to the cost and expectations put into it. thats all im saying

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Endorph posted:

i dont think the game's in any danger of dying, and it clearly has a playerbase, but its not nearly as popular as several other successful PVP games, even ones of a similar age. it isn't a massive failure but it is not that successful, relative to the cost and expectations put into it. thats all im saying

Nobody has any reliable player count numbers, and OW has similar popularity on Twitch/YT to its chief competitors in Valorant and Apex.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toadee posted:

OW has similar popularity on Twitch to its chief competitors in Valorant and Apex.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

toadee posted:

Nobody has any reliable player count numbers, and OW has similar popularity on Twitch/YT to its chief competitors in Valorant and Apex.

OW2 is comparable to Apex right now and that's not a good thing, Apex has been on the downswing.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I'd be pissed if I was interested in PvE and never got it after being told repeatedly that it is coming or "we'll talk about PvE in a couple of months".

I'd be pissed if I wasn't interested in PvE and my PvP game languished so that they could focus on getting the sequel that included PvE out the door, only for the PvE to never be delivered.

Yeah, it makes sense to me why the game gets so much hate, and we're not even on the topic of cosmetics that cost more in game than they do IRL yet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i think a lot of the cynicism about it is more towards blizzard/activision than feelings about the game itself.

I think that's really the point though? The main issues the game has had over the years haven't been flaws with the game itself, it's been the executive decisions with stuff like the gradual emphasis more on Esports, the game being essentially abandoned for two years, the unrealistic financial expectations, etc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Like, if it wasn't obvious enough before, Overwatch doesn't exist in the state it does in 2024 because of a deep love for the game from the people responsible for it, but because a cadre of soulless executives have assessed that it will make numbers on their spreadsheets higher

I don't think it's any coincidence that the last few gaming megahits (Baldur's Gate, Palworld, Helldivers) have devs that seem like they're actually having fun with it

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I'm pretty sure the original team that made OW moved onto other poo poo (Riot had a big poach push a few years ago too), OW2 was not from the OG team so that's why it's different and sucks and it's got Activision's greedy fingerprints all over it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

When Kaplan and Metzen left, poo poo was over. Same thing happened to Diablo when David Brevik left—-once primary creative directors leave in Blizzard, the games inevitably suffer for a long time.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

so are they gonna rename it to overwatch 1?

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
they'll re-release overwatch 1 and call it "overwatch classic" and charge people $40 again with an "optional" $20 expansion that adds 4 horribly unbalanced piece of poo poo generic characters that dominate any potentially fair competitive meta

oh and they'll bring loot boxes back and call it "diablo 4 loot pack featuring overwatch classic skins"

all they had to do was continue work on titan behind the scenes and release an MMO in the style of overwatch where everybody could be their own r34 overwatch character and have erotic roleplaying sessions

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 23, 2024

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ok they aren't all irredeemable shitfuckers

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think that's really the point though? The main issues the game has had over the years haven't been flaws with the game itself, it's been the executive decisions with stuff like the gradual emphasis more on Esports, the game being essentially abandoned for two years, the unrealistic financial expectations, etc.

? it has absolutely been about major flaws with the game itself, just the lack of faith that issues will get fixed and cynicism about its direction is related to the company though

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zokari posted:

so are they gonna rename it to overwatch 1?

More like Overwatch Done.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

toadee posted:

This is why I don’t post in this thread much. I can at least 5-stack with my friends most evenings, and lately it’s been 6-7 of us on and having to rotate. Trying to find a few other friends of friends to pull in and get us closer to 10.

There are a lot of friends groups that have at least one person who still likes Overwatch and would play more if they had the people to play with.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

So with Team 4's internal PvE people essentially gone, is there a way they can collaborate with a 3rd party to tell the Overwatch story? Just hand the unreleased material they had along with the basic story outline over to a studio like Fortiche who can turn it into an animated miniseries or something? No need to worry about skill trees or pulling resources from the PvP live game. Or is that a non starter because it still boils down to ActiBlizz spending money on the story?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I feel like their hubris is the biggest obstacle to anything like that.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Wasn't there rumour of an anime?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what story? they've clearly never had any plan for what kind of story to actually tell in this setting, as proven by all the inconsistencies in the backstories and them changing stuff around constantly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's very funny to me that they had a lead writer, Michael Chu. And, bless his heart, pretty much the only thing people remember him actually doing was shooting down all of the weird fan theories which, while they were admittedly pretty weird, were also like ten times as interesting as the story that they actually got.

Like there was a hot minute where people thought Mercy might've been a secret mad scientist, through some overly generous reads on some pre-battle chatter, and he pretty much just said no, that's silly. And all of the interesting theory stuff was instead shunted off onto a new character, Moira.

Which is a shame, because it would've been better if there were two mad scientists but Blizzard had too much basic bitch energy to realize this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Basic bitch energy is how you create mass appeal to be able to sell more skins.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Do you expect the OW2 "narrative team" or whatever to be able to tell ANY kind of coherent story when they couldn't even get simple lore factoids correct in Kiriko's background? It was essentially nonsensical and written contrary to already established in-universe lore.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Runa posted:

It's very funny to me that they had a lead writer, Michael Chu. And, bless his heart, pretty much the only thing people remember him actually doing was shooting down all of the weird fan theories which, while they were admittedly pretty weird, were also like ten times as interesting as the story that they actually got.

Legitimately the only thing I remember that dude doing is trying to convince people on twitter that he didn't write characters as being gay to deflect from outrage about other things.

Which he never really convinced anyone of because Blizzard were continually loving up, so whenever that happened people just kinda went "hey, typical, they've done it again".

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

all the characters in overwatch are canonically gay, including bob

Aexo
May 16, 2007
drat, I thought Bob was robosexual.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

All Overwatch characters are straight until there's a PR issue Blizzard needs to spackle over, at which point one of the character becomes gay.

Unless you're in one of the LGBT-unfriendly countries, in which case the characters stay straight.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Runa posted:

Like there was a hot minute where people thought Mercy might've been a secret mad scientist, through some overly generous reads on some pre-battle chatter, and he pretty much just said no, that's silly. And all of the interesting theory stuff was instead shunted off onto a new character, Moira.

Which is a shame, because it would've been better if there were two mad scientists but Blizzard had too much basic bitch energy to realize this.

Reaper : You tell me doc
Mike: Nah there's nothing to that

comedyblissoption posted:

Dva is going to be very sad,wait is Dva the only actual confirmed person attracted to the robots? You'd think that be more common.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 25, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that one nameless lady with an omnic bf in the widowmaker vs tracer cinematic. but also what're you talking about wrt Dva

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SirKibbles posted:

Reaper : You tell me doc
Mike: Nah there's nothing to that

Dva is going to be very sad,wait is Dva the only actual confirmed person attracted to the robots? You'd think that be more common.

her and that one woman from the Widowmaker cinematic

LazyMaybe posted:

that one nameless lady with an omnic bf in the widowmaker vs tracer cinematic. but also what're you talking about wrt Dva

DVA has a voiceline with Ashe where she says "I saw you on a wanted poster with a cute guy" and then goes on to clarify that she means Bob

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I figured this rumor might be popular here. Any guesses on how casual it might be?

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZgODQ3En7-c?si=EHkiJByAsxdSmb9f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Remember when the primary justification for OW2's existence was "we need to do it for PvE"?

That sure aged like milk.
Just like the game.