Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mind over Matter posted:

Oh drat that new Mercy skin. Guess I'm playing Overwatch again.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rawrbomb posted:

Pretty sure you have to leave during the SETUP phase, which is not available in all game modes? Or at least a lot shorter in some vs others. I believe its before the doors open to start the match.

I don't leave after the doors open but did get the 'if you leave you'll be penalized' warning recently. Seems like you get a couple leaves per day before it starts.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sloppy posted:

I don't leave after the doors open but did get the 'if you leave you'll be penalized' warning recently. Seems like you get a couple leaves per day before it starts.

Its leaves over an average of 20 games, with increasing penalties. If you leave one game, and play 25~ after, you really are not going to kick those penalties in. Its about frequent leavers big style disrupting games.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I left during setup, before doors opened, and got a 5 min penalty for doing so the first time that day/session. Not sure if it's because I accidentally shot before doing so and if I had just hit escape instead of left clicked, I would've been fine. I just closed out for the night and went to play something else. All good.

(Last update, I waited out the 5 seconds during setup and never got a penalty, but I had never accidentally left clicked so I dunno if I'm being superstitious paranoid about some sort of "you've registered your presence in the game and you want to leave? no! penalty for you!" mechanic.)

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Has anyone got the Speech to Text feature to work in Accessibility options? What is the right combination of settings? I want to test it out but I'm not sure they even implemented it on console OW.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
takes some time for the Twitch Drops to register.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
People are eating suspensions and bans for saying "gently caress" and "poo poo" in text chat, despite the game having an enabled-by-default profanity filter. This has happened in instances where the language is incidental and not directed at individuals in any abusive manner. This has been addressed to Blizzard and they have confirmed that there is now a no tolerance policy. So heads up.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Idea, but that would be amazing to hear the nonsense that people type in chat read out loud in a bad robot voice.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The company that censored "gg ez" but not the n-word confirms its hardline stance against the word "poo poo" only eight years after the game's release.

Well done lads

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the new uparmored mercy skin is okay

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Good Lord. Normally I'm sick and tired of playing Tank, but I couldn't have asked for a better first Comp match for S10. Got the POTG too. Tank diff anyone?

https://imgur.com/a/GviFzcs

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 18, 2024

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe they could adopt the hearthstone policy of removing any chat function text or otherwise within the game to promote a healthy vibrant atmosphere

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

flakeloaf posted:

The company that censored "gg ez" but not the n-word confirms its hardline stance against the word "poo poo" only eight years after the game's release.

Well done lads

Not only that, but some problematic "language" indicated by Blizzard's staff reviewing (or pretending to) logs of players banned for such includes "WTF" (yes, the acronym) and "braindead", not used as a direct insult against someone.

The Blizzard dev arrogance is contagious and spreading to other staff now, who are trying to justify their negligent actions

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had an account get chatbanned for saying GG and when I appealed it I got a message back confirming that was the case because "someone on the losing team might have found it offensive".

So just don't talk, basically.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Dude no way

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This reeks of AI tbh. Wouldn't even be surprised.

You:
Can you give me a nuanced, lengthy description of what it means when someone types "GG" in an online competitive game?
ChatGPT:
When someone types "GG" in an online competitive game, they are typically expressing "good game" as a form of sportsmanship and acknowledgment of the match that has just concluded. However, the meaning and context behind "GG" can vary widely depending on several factors, including the tone, timing, and specific nuances of the game and its community.

Sportsmanship: At its core, "GG" is a gesture of sportsmanship, indicating respect for one's opponent and appreciation for the competition. It's akin to shaking hands or exchanging pleasantries after a physical sports match.
Acknowledgment of Effort: "GG" can also be a way of acknowledging the effort put forth by both players or teams during the game. Regardless of the outcome, it recognizes the time and energy invested by everyone involved.
End of Game Ritual: In many gaming communities, typing "GG" has become an established end-of-game ritual, similar to saying "goodbye" or "thank you" after a conversation. It's a way of formally closing the interaction and moving on to the next game or activity.
Cultural Norms: The meaning of "GG" can be influenced by the specific cultural norms within a gaming community. In some games or communities, typing "GG" is expected after every match, while in others, it might be seen as optional or even insincere.
Emotional Tone: The emotional tone conveyed by "GG" can vary depending on the context. For example, typing "GG" in a close and hard-fought match might carry a sense of genuine respect and camaraderie, while typing it after a one-sided victory might come across as patronizing or sarcastic.
Social Dynamics: "GG" can also serve as a way of fostering positive social dynamics within a gaming community. By promoting sportsmanship and mutual respect, it helps create a more welcoming and inclusive environment for players of all skill levels.
Communication Shortcut: In the fast-paced world of online gaming, where players often communicate in real-time through text chat or voice chat, "GG" serves as a quick and convenient way of conveying a positive sentiment without the need for lengthy explanations or elaboration.
Etiquette and Norms: While "GG" is generally seen as a positive gesture, its meaning can be influenced by the etiquette and norms specific to each gaming community. Some communities may have additional expectations or customs regarding when and how "GG" should be used.
Overall, "GG" carries a nuanced blend of sportsmanship, acknowledgment, and social dynamics within the context of online competitive gaming. Its meaning can vary depending on the specific circumstances of each game and the culture of the gaming community in which it is used.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 18, 2024

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
GG is like one of the few vestiges of sportsmanship in online gaming. Who would find it offensive?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lammasu posted:

GG is like one of the few vestiges of sportsmanship in online gaming. Who would find it offensive?

I loving hate it when I'm on the losing side of an extremely one-sided stomp and the winners are like "gg wp"

my dudes, we did not have a good game, and we did not play well. just go to your next game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Would not be surprised if this has happened due to the people who would normally look over this stuff manually getting laid off, leading to a blanket ban where they just automatically ban for X amount of profanity regardless of context.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I loving hate it when I'm on the losing side of an extremely one-sided stomp and the winners are like "gg wp"

my dudes, we did not have a good game, and we did not play well. just go to your next game.

This has big "I wouldn't accept the handshake after someone kicks my rear end at chess" energy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You can resign in chess.

Overwatch makes you sit there and take it, or punishes you for leaving.

Also I'm lead to understand that matchmaking actually works in Chess instead of just alternating between stomp/get stomped

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Seriously, it sounds like this is what happens though:

1) Players randomly report other players for petty things.
2) After a certain amount of reports that might change based on volume within a time frame, the system automatically issues bans.
3) If banned player appeals, bots tell them to gently caress off with automated replies.
4) If banned player makes enough of a 'stink' about it, IE on social media or whatever, eventually an actual human reviews the case.
5) Actual human tries their very hardest to find ANYTHING they can use to justify the ban so they don't have to admit there was a mistake.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

They did say they were cutting staff in those positions, and there weren't enough to begin with. The rest adds up: the bans are for being reported, not for doing anything, AND there may also now be a bot doing a terrible job of moderating chat

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Is there a way to default not join + hide text chat? I got chatbanned once and it was extremely relaxing. All I want is the ping notifications.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

You can resign in chess.

Overwatch makes you sit there and take it, or punishes you for leaving.

Also I'm lead to understand that matchmaking actually works in Chess instead of just alternating between stomp/get stomped

Yes, because chess is a 1v1 game and you can decide for yourself if you're hosed. In a 5v5 game the other four members of your team might have something to say about it.

And lol, i've played in chess tourny's. Stomping still happens, especially with how seeding works.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Venture looks really fun. Kind of reminds me of OW1 doom, but obviously not as oppressive and easier to play.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Is there a way to default not join + hide text chat?
Options > Social > Text Chat

I've been playing with both voice and text chat turned off for a long time, and it's been blissful. It makes it difficult to coordinate with teammates since I almost exclusively solo queue, but I make heavy use of the ping system, and at my rank people rarely have anything insightful to say.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Venture would be more fun if the people playing said character wouldn't stubbornly stick to it when the enemy is playing ball/pharah and tearing them to pieces.

On a minor note they really should make some of Venture's kit louder.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think the character needs some non-damage related buffs, they seem weak.

Three that come to mind:

1) Reduce character model hit boxes a little
2) Increase primary fire hit box a little or adjust splash damage
3) Decrease the amount of time it takes for the burrow to occur, It feels odd using the ability and dying before becoming invulnerable

Ult can be pretty meh, but can also wreck the enemy team. It is possibly a little too situational?

Maybe the character should be a little noisier as well

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They need another cooldown. Like their kit is all about getting in and brawling but those shields you get with abilities aren't gonna save you if you get focused, go in against more than one person, or don't kill your target with your combo.

Another escape or more damage reduction or something to not fall over and die when your current cooldowns are gone.

Making burrow faster should happen too

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I don't think characters should be able to reliably 2v1, and I don't think characters should have more than one escape ability. Also isn't burrow supposed to be an engage ability and the dash an escape?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The dash does a bunch of damage and also provides vertical mobility AND it functions a little differently on a shorter cooldown while burrowed, so you have to choose when you want to go all-in to secure a kill or use it for mobility/escape

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BabyRyoga posted:

I think the character needs some non-damage related buffs, they seem weak.

Three that come to mind:

1) Reduce character model hit boxes a little
2) Increase primary fire hit box a little or adjust splash damage
3) Decrease the amount of time it takes for the burrow to occur, It feels odd using the ability and dying before becoming invulnerable

Ult can be pretty meh, but can also wreck the enemy team. It is possibly a little too situational?

Maybe the character should be a little noisier as well

Codependent Poster posted:

They need another cooldown. Like their kit is all about getting in and brawling but those shields you get with abilities aren't gonna save you if you get focused, go in against more than one person, or don't kill your target with your combo.

Another escape or more damage reduction or something to not fall over and die when your current cooldowns are gone.

Making burrow faster should happen too

I think you both need to play the character more. They don't need more tools. They are moderately strong right now, and you don't know the kit. Your dive isn't intended to be a get out of jail free card, its firstly an engagement tool. It should have openings to disrupt it to give skill expression both to the user and the people fighting against it. Instant 100% invuln is not fun to play against, and we already have a handful of these powers and it seems to be growing. There should absolutely be a risk to using that tool in a fight, and it has it right at the start when you dig in, or transit between being underground between objects.

Dash Does Damage, so does your melee (it should be similar I believe). Your shots hit very hard (if you land a direct shot and not a splash).

novaSphere posted:

The dash does a bunch of damage and also provides vertical mobility AND it functions a little differently on a shorter cooldown while burrowed, so you have to choose when you want to go all-in to secure a kill or use it for mobility/escape

If you burrow and dash immediately underground, and you wait the full duration of the burrow, the dash will be up 1 second after you come out of the ground to continue engagement. So you can easily use to it reposition, do more damage, etc.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

They've got a whole unbound button and I want a CC so bad. CC makes the game better. ^^ yeah I do think the character is fine. The drill dash does everything .

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

I think you both need to play the character more. They don't need more tools. They are moderately strong right now, and you don't know the kit. Your dive isn't intended to be a get out of jail free card, its firstly an engagement tool. It should have openings to disrupt it to give skill expression both to the user and the people fighting against it. Instant 100% invuln is not fun to play against, and we already have a handful of these powers and it seems to be growing. There should absolutely be a risk to using that tool in a fight, and it has it right at the start when you dig in, or transit between being underground between objects.

Dash Does Damage, so does your melee (it should be similar I believe). Your shots hit very hard (if you land a direct shot and not a splash).

If you burrow and dash immediately underground, and you wait the full duration of the burrow, the dash will be up 1 second after you come out of the ground to continue engagement. So you can easily use to it reposition, do more damage, etc.

It's less first hand experience and more second hand experience. Players who are generally top 100 are having the same problems as they did with LW, where once you get to a certain rank, it becomes hard to be effective. With LW it was REALLY bad; it was hard to carry even in high plat, low diamond when the character first came out. With Venture, it seems like mid-diamond is the point where the amount of impact you have starts to get a bit questionable.

And yes, the character is new so you might not know the kit very well, but the players in question certainly already have a very good grasp on what the character can do, needs to do, and are also good at experimental tech. You could also argue that for early adopters who understand the character at that sort of level, there is a huge advantage right now as other players might not know how to play AGAINST the hero too well thus far. Yet, there is a struggle towards the end of the metal ranks. The character is weak, it probably didn't need the nerfs it got before release. It is easily countered, and too situation-dependent.

Also, I don't think the invulnerability needs to be instant, it just needs to be a little faster.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

DIRECTOR’S TAKE: ADDRESSING UNAPPROVED PERIPHERALS ON CONSOLES

They'll probably figure out a way to circumvent it pretty quickly, but it's something.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, is tea bagging a violation of the ToS?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

DIRECTOR’S TAKE: ADDRESSING UNAPPROVED PERIPHERALS ON CONSOLES

They'll probably figure out a way to circumvent it pretty quickly, but it's something.

I used to play a good bit of console OW2 with friends and the Widowmakers on mouse and keyboard were so wack. glad they're doing this

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Sloppy posted:

Someone said a while back in the thread that if you leave in the first 5 seconds without moving your hero it doesn't penalize you, but that doesn't seem to be true in my experience. I don't mind mid-match leaving penalties AT ALL, I just want to be able to skip the really terrible new maps.

Sloppy posted:

Zet posted:

I left during setup, before doors opened, and got a 5 min penalty for doing so the first time that day/session.
During Quickplay, you can leave before you are able to move your hero; the hero selection screen. There are two countdown timers. You can leave during the first setup countdown timer before you are officially "in". You can quickly tell if you can leave and aren't "in" if you can change your skin via the pulldown menu near the top-right portion of the screen. If you can't change your skin you can't leave if you want to avoid the leaver penalty.

If you happen to join the game after the first countdown timer has runout you will get the leaver penalty, even if you never pick a hero and just leave. You're technically grandfathered "in" as backfill at that point to the game.

-If the text above hero select reads-
ASSEMBLE YOUR TEAM: can leave
PREPARE TO ATTACK/DEFEND: leaver penalty
Video of me doing it multiple times in a row:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKWm_5VKHs
Edit: To further clarify it's before you are "in control" but can still click hero portraits and toggle-spam to your teammates who you want to play. I personally like all the gamemodes well enough to never do this but hey the option is there if you hate that loving push robot mode or whatever. Sure you have to re-queue but an extra minute or two is probably better than the full ten a mode you don't like could go.

The thinking I imagine about letting you leave during that "SETUP" phase is backfill can happen instantaneously or take like 30 seconds, which is more than enough time usually to get another player before the round truly "starts" & you don't have the ult disadvantage & "match history/team cohesion sense disparity" of someone leaving in the middle of the game.

Also my posts here; reverse chronology. I should have been more clear, my apologies I kinda sprinkled it out over a few posts.

im depressed lol posted:

Just an FYI again you can leave a Quickplay map/mode you don't want to play without a leaver's penalty if you leave during hero selection but before you Editcan move your character.

Also for all the people who feel the skill disparity in Quickplay is a bit much, maybe you're right and they should make higher MMR players wait a bit longer. I play a lot of Quickplay and yeah sometimes you roll bad teamates who are basically/essentially/intentionally/unintentionally "trolling" but it's not the norm for me. :shrug:

Edit: 4/20/24 Sorry for confusion, to clarify it's before you can move your character. There are two countdown timers and you can leave during the first countdown timer, not the second countdown timer where when you pick a hero and move around spawn/defense before the official start.

im depressed lol posted:

Just tested by leaving 6 QP games in a row. So there's that, no temp ban.

im depressed lol posted:

Yeah I can see that. But you can leave before the map starts without penalty right? During hero selection before you can move your character. I honestly don't know the answer to that but I have had to bail before a match and there wasn't the 5 second cooldown before you could push the button.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

im depressed lol posted:

During Quickplay, you can leave before you are able to move your hero; the hero selection screen. There are two countdown timers. You can leave during the first setup countdown timer before you are officially "in". You can quickly tell if you can leave and aren't "in" if you can change your skin via the pulldown menu near the top-right portion of the screen. If you can't change your skin you can't leave if you want to avoid the leaver penalty.

If you happen to join the game after the first countdown timer has runout you will get the leaver penalty, even if you never pick a hero and just leave. You're technically grandfathered "in" as backfill at that point to the game.

-If the text above hero select reads-
ASSEMBLE YOUR TEAM: can leave
PREPARE TO ATTACK/DEFEND: leaver penalty
Video of me doing it multiple times in a row:
Edit: To further clarify it's before you are "in control" but can still click hero portraits and toggle-spam to your teammates who you want to play. I personally like all the gamemodes well enough to never do this but hey the option is there if you hate that loving push robot mode or whatever. Sure you have to re-queue but an extra minute or two is probably better than the full ten a mode you don't like could go.

The thinking I imagine about letting you leave during that "SETUP" phase is backfill can happen instantaneously or take like 30 seconds, which is more than enough time usually to get another player before the round truly "starts" & you don't have the ult disadvantage & "match history/team cohesion sense disparity" of someone leaving in the middle of the game.

Also my posts here; reverse chronology. I should have been more clear, my apologies I kinda sprinkled it out over a few posts.

Thanks for the research! I think "ASSEMBLE YOUR TEAM" will be the most relevant for me in mystery heroes.