Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Yea, this game just doesn’t feel different enough and the monetization is brutal, I’m surprised they aren’t giving more free stuff away to get people to play but for the most part this feels like a content patch to OW1.

If you still liked Overwatch then this is probably better but if you fell off, this isn’t going to be good enough to feel worth it. Also, the cyberpunk skins are almost all terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

valorant is a paint drying simulator the comparison is deeply unfair

I wouldn’t post but I can’t stand for this valorant slander, it’s much better than OW2. OW1 was better but they murdered it lol.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I respect what they are trying but the balance is way too off for a 5v5 format. Like, that’s league, cs and valorant levels of tight balance and blizzard isn’t even in the ballpark. In the handful of matches of OW2, anecdotally, it was mirror matches in most cases with a couple differences.

I don’t think it’s impossible to make OW2 balanced but they have a ton of work and they didn’t do it before it launched, it’s all so strange.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Blizzard: we know OW1 died because of no content and glacial slow balancing. That’s why we are dedicating the same glacial pace to our struggling shooter.

It’s wild to me that blizzard did a massive change to 5v5, remade a handful of tanks, called it a day and moved on. Man, the PvE better be off the chains and not just a reskinned PvE event.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

dogstile posted:

Yes, this is exactly what i'm saying, not that giant AOE immunities are bullshit.

Go back to complaining about how you can't follow a tank.

I don’t know what you want supports to do if they can’t have abilities like that. That’s the whole point of Overwatch supports, sounds like you just got outplayed.

E: I get that it sucks, but that’s the whole Rock Paper Scissors nature of the Overwatch design.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
What’s the ideal power level of support then? Kiriko isn’t that strong and is probably the level that supports should be at if they want people to keep playing support.

If they just want supports to be heal bots then remove them from the game and add passive healing.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1631356319394418688

if they do like an Evangelion collab and make an Asuka D.va skin they'll make enough money to keep the servers on for ten thousand years

Isn’t that just a recolor with different hair, that’s pretty bad. I immediately noticed it is just a recolor lmao.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

If this is all caused by issues with queue times. They know they can just have less queues right?

I mean, the main complaint about OW1 was queue times and if you don’t want long queue times you have to accept getting piledrived by near OWL level people regularly when you are in silver.

I remember watching that video of the size of a population to have good matchmaking and, especially with the terrible balance by blizzard, I don’t think there are simply enough people playing to get good matchmaking.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

headcase posted:

I guess zen replaced moira in goats pretty quickly. But yeah that is what caused role queue, and bunker, and double shield and scared away all the hitscan talent and on and on.

It still hasn't recovered, and lets be honest solo tank isn't great. I would prefer 2 tanks with open queue HP.

I agree, I really don’t like mega tanks as it feels like your entire game is decided by the tank you get. I tanked a lot so I didn’t mind being megatanks but as someone said earlier, most of the champs feel designed around 6v6, the maps too. It just feels awful to play dps or support as it just makes me want to tank if we have a bad one but I’m stuck playing zenyatta.

I played a bit of Overwatch at the end of 1 and queues took forever, so that’s where my complaint about that came from.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Proven posted:

Welp, no new character news today or yesterday. There goes my faith in a logical blizzard.

So do we start betting pools now?

Did they promise a new character or did people assume there would be a new one? They are running out of time unless they announce it when it launches I guess.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Personally I miss 6v6. OW as it’s constructed seems much better suited to it.

Yea, 5v5 just doesn’t work and as you said, the game feels designed for it whereas this has always felt off. It just feels like they don’t have a vision for what they want the game to be other than it needs to make money.

I’m still holding out hope for PvE but I feel like that is going to be a major disappointment both in terms of quality and when it actually does come out.

Looking pretty grim ngl.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Generic McCharacter is surprising considering how strong OW designs usually are.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

verbal enema posted:

she should yell the c word everytime she shoots

It should be beeped out as well and the other characters gasp, except those from Australia, they get it.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Well at least it’s better than soldier and tracer who you actively have to look into to find out they aren’t straight.

I feel bad being cynical about this announcement but I guess blizzard burned all their goodwill and benefit of a doubt away. As someone else said, I’d like to see how this character falls on their diversity tool.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

Is that better? Do real people irl open with their sexuality? Feels like tokenizing them by making the first descriptor of their personality be (telling, not showing) PLANT-BASED PANSEXUAL

I don’t know as I’m not a member of the LGBT+ community, but I know a lot of people that don’t know that tracer or soldier is gay because it’s referenced only in sprays in game.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

dogstile posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe lgbt people can be more than just "my sexuality" first.

E: And by that i mean none of my gay friends ever really want to be introduced as "Paul, the gay".

That’s a bit disengenous as they have buried all the LGBT stuff and didn’t even release it in places where it’s illegal (not that I expected them to). We are talking about cartoon characters in a video game and not real people.

It’s good that they can be open about it now, but they purposely buried it on tracer and soldier. Not to mention it felt like it was only announced to distract from all their controversies.

E: are you agreeing with me because they literally introduced Lifeweaver that way?

Lord Packinham fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2023

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I’m just here for the PvE that will never come out.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Lifeweaver, separate from his appearance, is such a badly designed character. I’ll try again after they change the controls but he is just straight up the worse support right now compared to the other supports. I guess you could do some cool stuff with his platform and tree but every other support is better and more straightforward.

I guess I could be missing some tech that makes him really good but I see people try him and immediately switch.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
RIP OW2 PvE, now I can ignore it forever.

E: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/overwatch-2s-pve-mode-is-being-scrapped-blizzard-explains-what-happened-and-why/1100-6514242/

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Man, wait till these guys find out how many RTS players just play the campaign, or CoD, or Halo, or basically any other game.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

heard u like girls posted:

:rolleyes:

absolutely,

Indeed there are a bazillion other games you could play that have interesting single player content, that's why i dont understand the hype for OW pve, which to me, was boring compared to playing other games or game-modes.

Well, I would argue that most people don’t seem to like the pvp in OW2 that much. It’s doing fine but without the PvE, the game will probably just fade into obscurity.

If OW2 doesn’t have pve then it’s just a mediocre team shooter with bad balancing.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I don’t know if this is better or worse than WC3 reforged.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
LoL that starship troopers extraction is a best seller on steam while blizzard is like there is no market, it’s too much work, not enough money.

I always figured that PvE wasn’t going to be exactly what they showed, but I thought it would be like early access. This level only works with these heroes and there is only one level while we develop it, for example.

Instead they took the game around back and shot it in the head.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Separating the gameplay itself from OW2, as a live service it’s been pretty terrible. They are patching and balancing a little faster but not really.

Everything is way too expensive, there is like 0 way to get free new skins. The battle pass is stuffed full of garbage, they added a new worthless emote just so they could pad the battlepass and the skins sometimes don’t even follow the theme.

The poo poo cherry on top of all this is that they blew up OW1 so I can’t even go back to the 6v6 that I enjoyed more.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

mutata posted:

Is that true though? Is Nintendo run well? All their games turn out? Their workers aren't exploited? They never delay or cancel games (Metroid Prime 3 right on schedule)? Did the Overwatch 2 team spend all of that time running around eating dust bunnies? I'd be content to drop my "well actually" act if gamers didn't constantly try to bludgeon me and my colleagues over the head with the most banal routine things or worse, things that rank and file devs have absolutely zero control over like schedules, corporate upheaval leading to instability and massive stress, management politics, etc. I get that I'm not exactly making friends here, but gently caress it.

Hey man, we all have jobs that suck, I don’t know what you want us to say. I’m sure my auto-job has a ton of people that hate the cars I worked on, it doesn’t make their concerns and issues less valid though and much like you I’m just a cog in the machine.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
What do you even say about Overwatch at this point though. It will continue to be a mediocre to bad live service shooter with great characters that will never go anywhere. With their “focus” on the live game it is the same as OW1 but just a little faster.

Dig a grave for Overwatch at this point, it has one foot in it and we are just waiting for the other to drop.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

this game has problems and i dont mind if people want to complain about them in here but you are single handedly the most tedious whinging oval office ive seen in the entire games forum and id suggest getting another hobby because you are awful at posting

lol his posting is fine you weirdo, the OW2 thread has been about this game being rear end since it launched half finished. Almost every design decision has been worse but at least they are undoing some of it by giving some CC back.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Playing support has been miserable since OW2 launched and it hasn’t gotten better. The new support is so poorly designed that he is essentially a throw pick. I don’t know if I would say OW is in a good spot. I feel like the only people that have liked OW2 are dps mains.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
The thing I don’t get and maybe it’s just personal tastes but I feel like they keep all the good skins for the shop. The battle pass always feels like bad value whereas other games with battle passes tend to put way more content in than OW.

I don’t like any of the mythic skins either except for sigma I guess.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Overwatch isn’t a good enough of a shooter to play that hard that you listen to footsteps. I’ll do that in CS and Valorant, but not Overwatch.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Good news lifeweaver is still dogshit

Legitimately, he needs a complete rework and I am kind of perplexed that they didn’t just disable him. He is a throw pick at this point.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I think it will get a new influx of players but I don’t think it’s going to be a dramatic increase. Battle.net isn’t the epic store, I’m sure a lot of people had accounts for Diablo, WoW or StarCraft.

They put all of their time and energy into e-sports and now they have a game that isn’t really that good. I still prefer 6v6.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
They are trying to make it a good shooter but at the same time have all these weird concepts like tanks and healers. At the end of the day, they are trying to please too many types of people.

They need to decide if it’s a shooter, a tf2 clone, or a moba in fps. They are trying to be all three and it just isn’t working. Like look at Lifeweaver, in other games with really deadly weapons getting a height advantage would be massive but with the ease and availability of healing, it’s a worthless ability.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I’m no game designer, so I couldn’t tell you exactly what’s wrong other than Overwatch isn’t fun and has been on the decline since role queue. I understand it’s too late to make big changes but I don’t know what you do.

Make a super support like you have a super tank already and replace one of the supports with dps?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I’m at least hopeful that the inevitable incoming shutdown of the OWL will allow them to refocus efforts elsewhere on the game.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I found fun in OW1 as you said in almost its entire life except I stopped playing when they announced OW2. I never had fun with OW2, tanking is ok sometimes but it’s just a worse experience pretty much across the board.

All the new heroes aren’t even as cool and interesting as the original heroes. It just seems an excuse to sell more cosmetics.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
D4 is big but I’d rather have more skins from WoW and StarCraft than a whole D4 themed season, hope it’s just one skin.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Lifeweaver’s weakness isn’t that he is unusable, it’s that every other support is better. Lifegrip can do some decent stuff sure, but like every other support has a better and more useful kit.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Honestly I still love the setting and characters (at least the OW1 crew) but I don’t know how you get the franchise out of the tailspin. It’s too late after they burned all the bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
CS can do that cause it’s one of the most played games in the world. While I don’t think OW is doing bad, I doubt they have enough people to have a ton of custom queues.

I really wish they would have just added another dps slot or two to each team instead of cutting it to 5v5, I have been playing comp mode CS in 2.0 since it came out and the balance, movement, shooting is so tight in CS that it feels like chess vs checkers comparing the two. Now, that could be because I’m just biased towards fast paced shooters like CS, but OW doesn’t feel well designed enough to be 5v5 like competitive cs or lol.