Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Some folks might think it's splitting hairs, but there isn't a healer role. There's a support role. Support heroes can heal but they do other things too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Dugong posted:

My guess is the pve gets sold in chapters or is bundled into battlepasses.

Seagull quoted articles saying as such.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Every odd season is supposed to have a hero

I believe they said season 2 will have a new tank hero, but every-other-season from then on.

verbal enema posted:

Do my skins carry over

Yes

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Listening to a streamer, someone said (at least on PS4/5) if you open the game it'll start the update process.

edit: this is for OW1 owners. There's no pre-load for first time OW2'ers

Aexo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 4, 2022

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Streamers playing on PC appear to be loading in, grouping up.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
if PC aim feels off, the general consensus is these might be the culprit, set the following:
Dynamic render scaling > Off (I force the scaling to 75% personally, it let's me turn everything else way up and still get lots of frames)
Controller > Aim smoothing 0%
High precision mouse input > re-enable
Screen and HUD shake > Off

Aexo
May 16, 2007

poe meater posted:

What is high precision mouse input? Is the opposite mouse acceleration or something?

Basically takes into account the time between server ticks.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/new-feature-high-precision-mouse-input-gameplay-option/422094

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Sigma rock her spinny thing and catch the spear with his shield. Doom can punch her out of the spin and I think Zarya beam goes through it. She doesn't die because people don't focus her collectively.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Kiriko damage feels so bad without headshots. I suspect you couldn't even down an entire Winston or Zarya bubble before they expire naturally. Maybe the Zarya bubble but you shouldn't be shooting it anyway.

Isn't her hps like 70 or something? That's not too bad.

She's definitely fun to play if you can get in a situation that baits the team cooldowns and port away right before they get there.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

also it reduces her bubble cooldown to three seconds

Was this changed? It wasn't like that last week.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Hargrimm posted:

It's always been a feature of Kiriko's ult to speed up ability cooldowns by 3x.

I understand that, but it doesn't answer my question.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Example of it not reducing the cooldown speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsSUd1rjunE&t=127s

e: This is probably the beta/creator build, so maybe this is a bad example of it on live.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi Folks, played Overwatch a shitload at launch and just realized my accounts merged and I have all my skins. I quit playing when Brigitte was the new hero so i'm def rusty. Messing around in QP before going into comp and wondering what the best Sigma strats & maps are? I'm really loving his slow and methodical playstyle and skill shots, but really dont have a sense of when he is bad or when I'm the wrong tank for the map. Thinking of picking D.Va & Sigma as my mains, and Mercy, Reaper, Hanzo, and Moira as my back ups for when i can't tank. Did Reaper get a huge nerf? I thought for sure he'd be huge in this new meta since there's only one tank, but I barely ever seen him and I have been struggling to get kills as him. Did something change or are the new tanks just way beefier and can't get bodied by pellet spread as hard?

Also, im really bad at overwatch, so I don't really understand what Roadhog's role is now. Can he effectively solo tank with just thousands of health? What am I supposed to be doing if not setting up wombo-combos with my other tank?

Freedo recently did a decent job explaining the "unspoken sub-roles" that various heroes should play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wByfySzq02M Including Sigma and Hog's roles in 5v5.

Just remember Sigma's shield is to catch things (that Kinetic Grasp can't catch or while it's on cooldown), not to be statically located anywhere for too long. Figure out what rock is good against (Hog Vape, Dva Booster, Orisa spin-push, etc), and how to combo it to kill squishies.

Scholtz posted:

And Tracer doesn't have a double jump!!!

I was a Scout main and I hated that Tracer didn't play at all like him when OW initially came out. Man I wish I knew then what I know now about Tracer!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Two games in a row I've outhealed the other team's healers as Zen if you take away my transcendence healing and QP kids are crying about healing in both.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Number two was always a thing.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Given the lack of shields I don't see why they had to take away Sym regaining ammo from primary firing on them. I feel like that's an interesting and unique thing in the game they just took away and now she's just a ground based laser-Phara with her right click ZZZZ

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I always felt like I wanted my sens to be lower but it was already difficult to do a 180 at the speed I was at.

Then I watched Surefour's video on mouse accel and it's so much better now. It's slow enough for close range tracking but still fast enough to turn around when I need to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5yU5rCxuk

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I'm good with the mouse accel :) Squeezing a button on the mouse would affect my aim too much.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Hashy posted:

The argument I've always seen against mouse accel (which I used to use in the quake 3 era) has been that it makes large flicks unreliable, and overwatch is a flick heavy game. I've since switched off it. I just can't see being able to do a 180 and have muscle memory for BOTH speed AND distance to accurately place a cursor, but Surefour played McCree and Hanzo so it must be a thing

The app Surefour uses to apply accel is tuneable and consistent. You can configure a "dead zone" where up to a certain speed the accel doesn't engage.

Remember long/quick flicks are always a first stop in aiming for your next target. There's a smaller "correction" flick that comes after. You can't expect yourself to 180 immediately into a headshot.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I think I figured out why I was extra salty this week... Solo queueing QP and backfilling into losing games. Then losing full games. Even if my full games are 50/50 (and I assure you they are not), backfilling into a loss makes the losses add up, and that doesn't feel good. It's especially frustrating when several of the weeklies require a certain number of wins. When I looked this evening I had two wins out of ten games (and this wasn't even solo queue this time, but feels indicative of my overall experience as of late).

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm reasonably sure that, while you don't win, backfills don't count as a loss. Or maybe it's the case that you have to play a certain amount of matches.

I'm not concerned about my stats. I'm frustrated that more of my games end up with a defeat screen than not. This was last night, I wasn't even solo queueing, or backfilling.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

How are those different? Why does it matter? Also those are all >5 mins, not last minute backfills to a defeat screen.

It matters in that Blizzard gives me goals (20 wins in genreal, 10 wins each on two roles, etc.) but the hidden MMR seems to consistently match me with players that are better than me/my team and makes me unable to reach those goals in a reasonable amount of time. I get there will be bad days and there will be good days but it doesn't feel like I've had a good day in well over a week. Blizzard talks about designing the game to focus on the positive, but it sure feels like they're consistently throwing me into situations that don't make me feel like I'm having positive experience.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Inept posted:

Just go for 8 out of 11 weeklies and ignore the last 10 coins. 7 arcade wins is not fun at all and I just wrote it off

I'm already writing off the team kills one. Thankfully it's no longer 20, but 10 still is iffy if I'll ever get it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Given the way team fights tend to go in this game it's really not a big ask at all. They happen basically every game, and multiple times depending on map type.

Your experience does not seem to match mine. Glad it's workin for other folks though! I think I participated in 6 all week last week, only getting one in the three hours I played yesterday.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I just recently had a suzu where it landed but we still got shattered. Stood up immediately.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

Is there a creator out there that has legit guides on how to Lucio. Literally just never was able to make this hero click.

I found Eskay's video on wall riding interesting, I'm betting they have more instructional vids buried in the channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpR6Mbgfn0I

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Torb hammer kills are the best.

Now that I think about it, Zen needs a kick emoji next to his kick kills.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Zarya wasn't a tempo tank?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
The definitely alluded to more social features like guilds and such in the Papa Jeff days. Feels like yet another casualty of the OW2 development/push to release.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
The Sombra bug/exploit was definitely pre-patch. No idea if it's still happening after.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I've always tried to do right click hook shot melee to be sure. The right click helps you line up the hook, too.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Bastion Gingerbread skin for one coin:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23892140/

Info on match making:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23896785/overwatch-2-developer-blog-matchmaker-and-competitive-deep-dive-part-1/

I feel like they did the streak-y SR/MMR boost in OW1, didn't they?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Nothing like losing a match when the other support and I each outheal the enemy supports combined when they have an unpocketed phara and we have two hitscans, one of which is pocketed.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

junker queen has a voice line I can't quite make out, not sure if its just ever green or part of the shiny zeus skin but every time I hear it I swear she's saying "I need a bucket bong"

You don't play with Closed Captioning on?

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh they finally decided to add credits to the pass.

OW2 credits or legacy credits?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I wouldn't mind the de-rank so much if the matchmaker put me in the same rank lobbies. But if I'm outwardly silver 1 in internally gold 1 lobbies I'm still going 50-50 so the climb is arduous at best.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't forget that if you're consistently at the same rank you're actually getting better at the game. It's just you're getting better at the same pace as everyone else. Look up diamond and above gameplay from release of the game and you'll be amazed at how slow and dumb everyone played. Everyone's learning, it's just a matter of how fast you're learning compared to everyone else. That said, the OW2 matchmaker is a joke these days. I'm out DPS'ing the DPS as support pretty consistently and play like poo poo as a DPS hero often.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Winston's Kiriko paper trail joke got old on day one.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
It's Ganymede. He's out for revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I'm pretty sure Wrecking Ball has shield over armor and the shield does not take reduced damage until it hits the armor. I believe KarQ had a mythbusters video showing it.