Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't watch owl often at all but any time I've seen it it's basically all very cis-looking Korean boys. are there even females or trans competitors at this point? why announce that?

e: oh it's for a tournament specifically for marginalized identities. but why do verification then
its what happens when your brain starts at 'but what if non-trans people infiltrate the tournament to make a mockery of it' and ends there instead of continuing towards 'isnt this insanely awkward for the people we're trying to ostensibly protect.' basically, sympathy without empathy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

The article says Blizzard came up with this based on feedback from the marginalized groups.
So what am I missing here? Other than it being a poorly worded /named thing that will outrage people that don’t know the full context?
marginalized groups arent a monolith, its insanely lovely and i dont care if they got some other trans people to rubberstamp it, it still sucks rear end

EngineerJoe posted:

It's just trying to prevent some experienced guy gamer from pretending to be in the marginalized groups and running away with the win.
having to provide proof of your Trans Identity to some unfeeling corporation is a worse outcome than some guy pretending to have gender so he can click heads for a couple days

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wheeee posted:

posting on the internet about how awful and stupid someone would have to be to even play a game made by the worst company, blizzard, while snacking on some nestle cookies made with slave labour and sipping on a can of ice cold coca "union organizer murderer" cola
did anyone post anything like that or are you just reflexively doing this like how when the doctor takes the little hammer to your knee you kick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey just curious are the rewards for owning overwatch 1 already expired or can you get them if you log in before the end of season 2. googles giving me conflicting information on the SEO sites

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

The reason why they didnt - assuming you mean Black Ops 4 - was because they were trying to cram in four god drat modes (Campaign/MP/Zombos/BR).

Thing is, the difference between OW's hypothetical campaign and CoD's campaign is that one has all this setup and lore bits that it could at the very least be a Netflix show if they wanted.

The other is CoD.

the overwatch lore:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like tf2 has a half-finished co-op mode that hasnt been updated in ages that consists entirely of a few waves of enemies that are the same every time and there are people who have been playing exclusively that mode for a decade now, there are people with thousands of hours in it

a pve mode in this game would have absolutely been absurdly popular

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wheeee posted:

tf2 has more character than ow ever will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62OY19rZ7k
it also unironically has more lore and story progression despite the two sides consisting of the same 9 guys twice and this never really being explained

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

Didn't the TFC mercs also step in to be the new bad guy for a point?

So technically, it'd be the same 9 guys four times.

Elder God Tier Lore for a reason, folks.

hey, tfc demoman is white

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I guess a lot of people somehow still unreasonably optimistic about the video games industry despite how it's been going the last like, ten years.

So hopefully this is a wake up call that no matter how low you set the bar for the industry, how cynical you think you already are, you are not cynical enough, the bar needs to be set far lower. Blizzard and other companies aren't human beings, they are lie demons. If they tell you the sky is blue you go and double check. Everything is a vaporware scam until the exact second it's in your hands and even then it could just disappear at any second.
nah plenty of game devs are decent people capable of putting out a good product, blizzard specifically just sucks rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

So with that being said, where do we get that sweet lore from now, since even the source is FUBAR

quote:

“Torbjorn! My swedish little cuck.” Reinhardt boomed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

AAA industry is absolutely completely in the gutter right now. It's all poo poo as far as the eye can see.

oh i mean yeah but thats the western AAA industry, no surprises there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by WoW and what little writing is available for overwatch i doubt the story for PVE mode would have been any good but it doesnt really need to be good, it just needs to exist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

novaSphere posted:

I still don't understand why they're still on YouTube though. Twitch has a lot of bot views compared to YT but man, Google must have given them a lot of money for the deal for them to continue on the platform after I thought their exclusivity contract ended.
streaming is actually moving to youtube a bit over time, twitch keeps scaring people off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also yeah you dont need looting or meta progression for a popular PVE game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck even if you want a treadmill you could just make like, a bunch of weapon skins and like one character skin per season locked behind grinding out the pve mode and people would absolutely play it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

Some of y'all are pretty intense. I'll understand being disappointed, but I'll never understand being bitter over something like this. You are not owed anything, especially when it comes to video gaming, which at the end of the day is just entertainment.
i think youre owed something when a product you spent money on promises something in exchange for that money, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wheeee posted:

if walmart and mcdonalds had official forums full of customer posters they wouldn't be any better than game forums

look at any customer complaints site and search walmart or wendy's or whatever and you'll get posts that are even stupider than the steam forums. the steam forums are insanely racist and homophobic but at least they're usually somewhat coherent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mutata posted:

You have the population en masse coming emailing you about your cars and why did you make the car have 4 wheels what are you a loving idiot don't you know that the only way to do cars is 3 wheels why can't you make cars with 3 wheels, are you stupid? Here's a photograph of your house, you loving rear end in a top hat, I know your address now.
in this case its more like you had a six wheeler, they took it away to get rid of one of the wheels, and then they went 'dont worry we're going add a gps to it' and then they said 'unfortunately the gps is cancelled'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

novaSphere posted:

With all due respect "they're racist and homophobic but at least they're coherent" is a wild statement to make in defense of anything
the alternative is something that is racist and homophobic but also incoherent in this instance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

novaSphere posted:

I would rather have obviously incoherent ramblings from someone whose post or review can be safely disregarded
well good news man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just thought it was funny how incoherent customer review sites are what are you going on at me about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

By the way, did you guys see that new Twitch Prime drop? I dont have the tweet but its just Beachwear D.Va with no sandals.
theyve figured out how to turn public opinion around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

The last Warcraft expansion was just good which doesn't make up for the 2 worst expansions before that one
they'll keep making WoW expansions. like production might get scaled back somewhat but to put this in perspective everquest 1 is still getting new expansions to this day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wheeee posted:

the most popular and profitable games are gachas that condition players to keep buying pulls to win underage anime girls, which means that is objectively the correct best game design and should be more widely implemented, sorry those are the rules
hell those games are better than overwatch 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

overwatch 3 should be 4 dps, 1 healer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 dps, 1 wrecking ball

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that pharah and mercy are a couple people like so they went 'uhh yeah they're totally the same age' even though it makes no sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Liferuiner more like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hog just doesnt really work when he has to be the only tank

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remove tanks and healers from the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

every dumbass finance guy assumed the covid bump was permanent and hiring practices followed accordingly; VC money is also moving more into AI research, the big GaaS push companies were making (sony had, like, loving five of the things in development concurrently at one point) has collapsed, there's a tightening economy overall, and the large gaming-adjacent slush fund that crypto generated went boom with FTX's collapse and the aforementioned shift into AI funding
its not just the big gaas push collapsing, thatd still leave room for like one to succeed maybe, its that its been entirely subsumed by asian live service f2p games that are generally much cheaper to make and sustain a playerbase longer term.

the current economic tightening is also a boon to those games cause its easy to get started on a free game when you have no money and spend money on it when you get a windfall and are already invested in it. compared to being asked to spend 60 bucks upfront for a lot of this stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

perhaps this problem could be fixed by adding a second tank to each team to split up the damage taken. thoughts?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I flipped 1000 coins.
There's one 5-and-5 streak and one 7-and-7 streak. Hardly what I would call "lots of long streaks".

goldmine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she feels unplayable now to me tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the best healers right now are the ones that can just do it passively while fighting like zen and lucio. brig is okay also but getting into melee range is hard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rawrbomb posted:

If it was like once ever now and again, that people left a QP game, that'd be one thing. But before those leaver changes went in, more often than not people were quiting qp games. Like if I played 20 games on the weekend, at least half of those games were going to be down a player on one team or the other. Losing a player is the end of the game.

I'm very glad it takes effort to leave a game, and very glad they punish people who leave frequently.
what? in qp the slot gets filled back in by some rando in like 5 seconds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the patch is mostly okay but tank damage needs a slight tick up yeah. winston has to go through a clip and a half to kill widowmaker it feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

Unless OW2 is different from other Blizzard games (and it might well be) I have a feeling you are underestimating the average age of the audience.
overwatch had younger players when it first came out but it first came out nearly a decade ago, and i dont think teens are getting into it these days.