Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Any news on when exactly the phone number requirement for legacy players will be dropped besides the nebulous "October 7th"?

Don't feel like sitting in queue again only to be told "you need a phone number".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

im depressed lol posted:

Any news on when exactly the phone number requirement for legacy players will be dropped besides the nebulous "October 7th"?

Don't feel like sitting in queue again only to be told "you need a phone number".

Go time for Overwatch 1 players, no phone number and I'm in.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Zokari posted:

i played yesterday and everyone was unlocked and now theyre locked again

how tf does this happen

e: seriously could this have launched worse?

I got the locked hero bug tonight too, and just :lol: at this point. What does the code look like that it could possibly trigger locking arbitrarily half the roster?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

xgalaxy posted:

I don’t understand why my aim is bad in Overwatch.
In a game like Valorant for example I consistently get kills and headshots.
In this game it’s like 80% of my shots miss.

I don’t get it.

What the last two posters said + be aware of maintaining stable FPS as hardware lag will gently caress you hard. I can't explain it succinctly but essentially if you aren't maintaining stable FPS your game state will be ever so slightly 'out of sync' with the server.

Try lowering your graphics quality if you haven't and be mindful that during hectic fights your FPS may drop despite seeming stable in like spawn or the training area.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2022

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

xgalaxy posted:

100% because I died to him and there was a big "HACKED" on the kill cam.

Genji I believe still keeps his sword out when ulting & hacked. He just can't dash.

Similiarly S76's aimbot still works if was activated before he gets hacked.

VVVVVVVV Much better explanation as to why.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 8, 2022

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

They put Greek theming around 1 abusive dad vs.11 angry kids?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

This is a bad event and they should feel bad for making it.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

you can bind each of the individual comms to a single button and aren't required to use the comms wheel

If you press the binded 'group up' button and your crosshair is within ten miles of a teammate's silhouette you will say 'I'm on my way!'

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

I'm certain the various quirks of the ping/comm commands are intended behavior and not some bizarre artifact of mismanagement in QA. The UI in this game is perfect and don't really ever notice any other bugs.

Edit: I believe in OW1 the 'group up' button did intentionally say 'I'm with you' (vs. on my way) when you looked at a friendly but.... there was a range fall-off I think?
Edit2: I just tested it and 'group up' does in fact say 'I'm with you' up close in OW2 but I refuse to edit my dumb joke despite this obviously being intended behavior
Edit3: It doesn't say WHO the 'I'm with you' is directed at though, which I think OW1 did? Or maybe it just didn't spam the chat at all and it was just understood.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 10, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

So I found a Sigma flying in the air during quickplay today.

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1656473032263704576

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

The Sigma floating tank glitch kind of makes me think about the balance of a theoretical infinite flight tank. Some kind of ridiculous beast that further enables a gimmick "flying battalion pharahmercyecho" comp.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Blizzard,

Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of a patch can go gently caress themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my team's time on this kind of jackass poo poo-fest again, send me an email at brigole@bittysteal.net when you decide to:

B) Implement a balance patch that wasn't designed by a cowboy chained to a cubicle
B.)Get a Quality Assurance Department
C) Actually beta test the loving thing and
D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well
E) Pull your heads out of your asses.

While you're at it rename the game to RentseekerWatch since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on user rug-pull of PvE. Fix the comms reverb bug. Fix Kirko teleport. Rethink your time-sink bullshit. Buff that motherfucking Lifeweaver (I suggest you let whoever designed Ana one do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix the matchmaking. Fix matchmaking queues. (just guessing it's hosed up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Diablo 4 team over to fixing Overwatch AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix/remove Cassidy nade, you jackassess will be the only ones playing the Overwatch: Invasion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4g2ler/jeff_tigole_kaplan_forum_rant_from_his_eq_days/

Edit:for whatever reason I thought it was canon that it had SO MANY spelling/grammer errors, but the archive.org copy of the OG rant is clean. I guess the subreddit must have/had a filter that bans the OG copypasta

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 19, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Do we know if the PvE is going to be purchasable with the arcade "premium" coins?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

The amount of time &consistency to play to accrue that many weekly challenge coins, you'd think they would like to reward the loyalty of the types of players who played consistently enough to do that.

Gotta have a loyal player-base there, for whatever reason would the whales buy the shop poo poo if no one is playing.

:chaostrump:

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 22, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/portergauge/status/1670290725228150785

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

I dunno there's a lot of negativity in this thread, like weird hyper-over analysis. Game's got problems yeah but I still love it. r/aita?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Oh I believe super-high level players have valid criticisms, but man I read the last hundred posts and I got that kinda gut-sinking feeling like "god drat it, am I going to have to learn a new game?"

Like, I peaked mid-masters Season 4-5 in OW1 and pretty much solely play quickplay nowadays because of how weird and blame-gamey people in comms get, lost in their 'ladder-climb, my number gotta go up!' mindsets, maybe due to their ego's denying their own mistakes and poo poo.

I just like to pew pew with the boys :(

Edit: Yeah "hyper-overanalysis" was poor phrasing. But ah whatever.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Like the McCassidy nade is trash, but I make clips like this and make my friends laugh.

"S-tier got'em"

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1673863058937053184

I just am actually getting a little concerned the ship isn't gonna get course-corrected and there will be this echo-chamber/deathspiral of "OVERWATCH 2 BAD" and like... what the gently caress am I gonna play? Vermintide 2 until the day I die?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Like I totally get that the intent vs. impact of "weird hyper-over analysis" was way off base, definitely wasn't directed at anyone who is an elite player at this game & is hyper passionate about it & is incredibly distressed at the state of the game at the highest levels. It was just a dumb throw-away phrase my fingers shat out as a kind of amalgamation of everything I comprehended after catching up on the thread and I sincerely didn't mean any offense towards a lot of the valid insightful stuff I read. I don't really keep track of poster's names/reputations etc. so it was a very poor choice of words. I mostly come here just to get caught up with news because I don't bother going to other sources for news about this game.

So let me be a clown for the thread a bit as a way of an apology.

After reviewing a game where I was like "jesus loving christ my team ruled in this quickplay match how did my get my drunk rear end get carried so hard?". Like yeah midgame I knew "yeah Bap threw lamp perfectly after pulse, Mercy got a perfect rez off where I died below the steps". And I remembered this video Metro made on youtube about like.... "not being hyper-fixated on KDR/stats etc." And as I'm reviewing the game I realize... oh yeah I think I know EXACTLY what would sync up to this poo poo like Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz. It's the opening of Episode 5 from a gem of a podcast called Transmissions from Jonestown.

Here's the half-baked thing I came up with & never finished & uploaded to a vimeo throwaday for the thread. I have no delusions or aspirations of being a "content creator" or somehow monetizing any poo poo I do for this game, it's just goofy poo poo I share with my friends.

https://vimeo.com/848239064
https://vimeo.com/848239064

My gameplay is FAR FAR from perfect, which is kind of the point. Kind of was going for an iceberg-ish "Potg vs. the reality of the match" thing, before I gave up cause like... who is gonna give a poo poo about this right? I'm sure anyone here playing comp in the current meta even at like high-platinum/diamond could roast my mistakes a thousand times over (especially not landing a single shot on the Ana on those incline steps, cringe as gently caress). But I think there is an interesting kind of 'well yeah he's definitely not playing "optimally" re: target priority, positioning etc. BUT... it kinda makes sense because he's not following a Robocop script and... rolling to pharah is... weird but unexpected, kinda odd and goofy but whatever do you bro'

In the old OW1 thread I remember seeing a lot of fun, enthusiastic poo poo about the game. One line that always stuck with me was "dunning and kruger are the names of reaper's shotguns".

Like I get it, maybe the game sucks right now but a lot of people are still having fun with it and maybe now that Diablo 4 launched some more resources can get back to the game & spit shine it into something that's interesting to both the elite god-tier scrimming Top 500's and the more 'ah I just like to gently caress around with my various old-head gold to GM friends in QP' types like me.

So feel to roast that video or whatever, I just want to inject some levity into the thread before we're all just staring at that Overwatch logo waiting for R.I.P. to fade into existence over it.

Edit: oh yeah here's the Metro video for like, actually good content and not just a jokey-poo poo-post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzMAYBH7Gk

Edit 2: And the source audio. Sorry it's a bit scratchy, Guyana ain't exactly gentle to cassettes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_lnhRjZn0

Edit 3: And also someone said something about that cringe sexualization of the characters and how Blizzard leans into that a bit and like... yeah that stuff's.... maybe "weird" but I mean not everyone who's a fan of the game has that kind of fixation. So maybe this is a response to that as well.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 29, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Also as much of a rug-pull as the PvE poo poo is/was, I'm still kinda excited to go for high-score chases with a group of people committed to it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZxsMm7uek

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you're fine, it's not a wrong statement, people do get way into analyzing stuff and it is weird from most perspectives

Thank you for this, I appreciate getting at least some feedback that I'm not totally off the mark, but I still do mean that apology to anyone it might have rubbed the wrong way regardless. A quickplay McCassidy comes into my thread, toots his own dick, and calls ME gay!?

I generally don't like watching most 'pro' Overwatch streams. Got a strong dislike of twitch gamer-bro culture. Also that flouride gamer stare that a lot of twitch grinders have gives me disconcerting uncanny valley vibes Youtubes' more my speed; via the youtube algorithm I see a bunch of cool content, like emongg is hilarious, karq is a gift to the community, metro mentioned previously etc. But after I gave up on comp back in the golden days of OW1 Season 4-5 (peak 3750ish masters, I bring it up purely because I thought OW1 stats were lost forever but I recently re-watched some old footage where my rank was visible), the exhaustion of endlessly looking for tips/tricks started feeling a lot more like homework/studying than anything. And on top of that... is it truly realistic to expect that your random grab-bag of algorithmically ranked teammates queueing for an 'esport' are:

A.) reading from the same playbook & aren't poisoned by subpar advice via bad influences/bad google skills
2.) haven't reached their peak SR and are rolling back down that hill
&
2CP.) have the same philosophy about team cohesion/online gaming in general and won't make everyone on the team give up before they even get going because they aren't playing a 'meta' comp

The fun for me in a crazy, frenetic, twitchy, beautiful game like Overwatch (with highly praised yet still IMO underrated sound design) is figuring out a play-style that suits you and the odd joy of the sissyphian struggle to continuously try to improve your skillset. Folding Ideas had a great video about the odd nature of how the WoW community ruthlessly chewed up everything Blizzard could throw at them, youtube title "Why it's rude to suck at Warcraft" & yeah it's a brilliant piece of media check it out or whatever. But the most interesting concept I took away from it was (lovely paraphrasing warning) this dichotomy of intrinsic play vs. extrinsic play. To me, Overwatch is 1 million percent an intrinsically rewarding gameplay experience. The excitement of pulling off some stupid nutty thing every once in a while that saves a fight, landing a stupid sleep dart, mercilessly pounding and pinging discorded targets as zen- it's all so... FUN to me.

But there are a lot people who hop from game to game and are more concerned about like... an external letter grade/number go up/loot drop reward etc. than just the love of a game. And they can't exactly express... WHY they are upset at losing so they grasp at straws/blame others/blame the balance of the game etc. to soften the blow of not getting what they feel they are entitled to. I see a lot of discourse about Overwatch kind of being an odd-duck half-moba/half-FPS and that maybe they should lean one way or the other but I dunno... I think it's cool that game is a bit broad in scope like that & is trying this weird tight-rope act trying to appeal to a broad cross-section of game-enjoyers. Let me just re-state it again, I'm not suggesting being mad at this game for the right, valid reasons from a top-tier players perspective is a 'cope' or whatever. I respect the poo poo of people who really loving devour a game's dynamics & suss out the bullshit. So hey if the game's got problems, you have the experience/dedication to articulate them I'll say 'yeah man, I believe you. makes sense. hope they make it better!'

I think I'm good at keeping my ego in check, I almost never tilt and if a thought occurs to me like 'hm, why I am not being healed....' I just assume the supports are doing their best and if I feel particularly miffed I'll review the game from their perspective to see if there was something I was oblivious to; maybe I wasn't maintaining LOS as well as I thought, maybe I should have swapped to protect them better etc. The game replay/history feature is such a cool tool, and maybe it's just a given & super obvious that if you want improve you should naturally 'review your god drat matches/gameplay mercilessly with as little bias as possible before QQing/tilting that your team is poo poo& it's impossible to climb out of the metal ranks' but maybe it's.... TOO much a given and people need to realize they should be doing that way more than they think.

Also here's a dumb anecdote about 'subpar advice'.

So I play QP a lot/exclusively nowadays and get random add's all the time from people because I'm always clowning around in the game doing poo poo like endlessly spamming 'I'm sorry" to supports as a bit, have a knack for odd voiceline-spam combo's & reciprocation, and pinging targets is second nature to me. Or maybe I manage to pull some dumb "I shouldn't be alive!" magic trick as Cassidy because I manage to two-tap the squishies in a 2v5 against a team that is most likely playing off-main & I some how win the fight. Whatever the circumstance, a support on my team adds me.

I start duoing in QP with them. After a few games I'm curious, so I check the profile. Masters rank, sounds right. Great player. But then in a match on Hollywood on attack I just slam-pick Cassidy because I like to pew-pew. Maybe a minute in I realize their tank is really good at controlling space at the choke, our tank can't/just wants to play a less than mobile tank so high ground is a problem. Our tank is having a rough time trying to get in for whatever reason. Ana's in a nest pocketing the enemy tank. There's a Torb, no DPS hitscan. So I need to swap to try and salvage this game, because eh I don't care I'll play whatever is best for our comp vs. theirs if I'm halfway decent at it- I'm usually not stubborn, whatever's good for the team. So I feel dicey and think 'gently caress it I'll go Pharrah!'- I love playing Pharrah but usually at whatever MMR I'm at it's like a single fight at most will occur and I have to swap because there's always a closet hitscanner that will outplay me everytime. But I can pop the turret using cover and that's one less thing to worry about, right?

But then this Masters support player says "why did you swap to pharrah? don't you know torb counters pharrah?" and I think (but don't say) "wait.... why do you think Torb counters Pharrah? If I hug cover as I shoot at the turret I'm fine. Am I being trolled? Am I an idiot? Does this person think I'm just going to blast off into the open air and let the aimbot turret kill me?" It was really striking how 'matter of factedly' the person just spat that out.

So, I dunno.... is there a blithe of trash advice on the net about this game? After they said that I googled a bit and saw a lot of incredibly low-effort 'counter' charts for OW2 on 'websites' that barely qualify as such. A lot of them were so... weird & nonsensical shite to me as a dude who has played the game since pre-release beta. Like, Junkrat as a hard counter to D.Va? What loving SR is that happening at?

Edit: Also just bit a more context I have been playing online FPS's for like 20 years so maybe I'm just naive & assume people should just 'know' when something is bullshit if they give it more than a moment's critical thought. But I dunno, I could be dumb and torb actually IS a pharrah counter & the thread can roast me. Why not, I'm a clown!

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Rawrbomb posted:

At best torb is/was a soft counter to phara. Unless torb is cracked and can yeet chetos at you consistently, or is a master turret placer in hidey bullshit areas. I wouldn't consider him a hard counter though. Lots of new players do not understand phara's 3d movement and how to take advantage of it. They recently reduced his turret damage down to 11 from 14.

I'd be much more worried of: Widow/Ash, Soldier/Bastion/Baptist, Cass, Anna.
But torb? Low on my list. Unless again, cheatoing you to death.

Edit: Even if something is a hard counter to you, until its actively preventing from doing your job, there is no point to switch. I have been in plenty of QP games (and even a few weird comp games) where entire teams are trying to shut you down as a phara and can't, because your team is serving as a great distraction!

Edit 2: You actually tried something different, instead of continuing to ram your head into the wall. That should be celebrated, even if it didn't change the outcome. Lots of people will instant pick something and refuse to swap off, which is just as much of a problem. I get its QP, but no one came here for you to sit and throw a tantrum and not play with the other 4 people on the team.

Yeah man, exactly. You feel me. Like I know my limitations on the flying babe, when I go to Pharrah I peak tab a lot more often because the instant I see them swap to hitscan I'm gonna book it to spawn and swap. It's just.... very "odd" to me how non-chalantly a person at a fairly high rank would drop something so asinine with such dull confidence.

"I know what a war crime is."

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1655402345193254917

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

dogstile posted:

If you look at the top500 for dps its all mostly pharah and echo (unless that's changed in the last week) because those characters are also overtuned to poo poo, hitscan isn't really strong enough against them.

Yeah man but I loving suck at Pharrah compared to the 0.001 percenters, creme de le creme DPS masters of Overwatch lol.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

heard u like girls posted:

Lmao that High-Noon fakeout on the mercy hahaha

*fingerguns*

Exactly! You get it.

Like, this is my favorite dead gay forum & my favorite dead gay game. And this brown-eye-rated thread's vibe is starting to feel like we're on the S.S. Kappatanic lining up to drink some cyanide-laced flavoraid as if it's some inevitability and like... yeah. It loving sucks that currently the best players in the world in this awesome game get to the top of those stairs only to realize it loving sucks up there. I dunno... I don't even know what loving rank I am. Am I bronze? Sure, if that's what the computer says I am.

I'll be a clown for the thread if it at least makes the waiting in that line a little more bearable for the lurkers & elites alike until Blizzard gets their poo poo together and actually respects their developers and gives them the resources to make the game the jewel it deserves to be. Here's some dumb poo poo I made 4 years ago. It has like 34 views.

"Do you plan for your death?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7UL2oBQ_u4

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Are we seriously not going to get a loving leaderboard with the new PvE? What the gently caress man, like come on!

Arcade-style poo poo like that is an easy hook for replay. And yeah, 'well actually, the score can be manipulated and isn't always consistent-' I loving ground those modes to the depths of hell with my buddies I know my man.

Edit: Wait, is it confirmed we won't get a leaderboard? Kinda lost my mind for a split second.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

As much fun (and as easy) as it is to bash on whatever tv-dinner style missions we're gonna get.... Overwatch is the best "feeling" FPS I've ever played so even if it's just 'pew pew various cool looking robots in copy-pasted environments' I'm kinda cool with that.

I dunno how much the 'community' gave a poo poo about the high-score chases, maybe they were dismissed as a waste of time or 'luck-based, no skill gg ez not worth my time gotta go pop 3 adderall and sign into my 5th widow alt and poo poo on bads' or whatever. But man, developing strats with 3 other people as you figure out first an 'optimal' strategy to first clear the map on the highest difficulty and then eventually developing a 'master plan' to break Top 500/200/50 with various organically developed tech that plays to everyone's strengths is a surprisingly engaging experience.

Especially if the people you're playing with are cool and want to do it without having senpai streamer in the back of their brain dictating how they "should" do it before you even make an attempt. Don't get me wrong, hitting a wall sucks and sometimes looking for a tip or two can be a godsend but there's something really fulfilling about DIYing a lot of it through trial and error. Especially against an AI opponent.

But like.. if there's no leaderboard and they just give us some dumb spray or a weapon charm no one actually gives a poo poo about for clearing it.... that sucks and someone should redline in a leaderboard feature ASAP. Even if it becomes a 'thing' and it becomes impossible for me to even break Top 10k... I dunno, the goalpost's moved; now breaking Top 10k is the mission.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

another reason why I love quickplay is like, yeah the particular QP game this clip is from sucked. the matchmaker didn't really do so hot. but it was 11am and it was probably more concerned with filling the seats period than any sense of fairness. anyway 2 leavers and no backfill so we're all just goofing off.

but hey, the enemy sombra was playful and she gave me a neat clip to demo how loving much I love the sound in this game. I don't know how people can get so jaded and not constantly accolade the sound in this game; like HEY! take a tip from a fellow game-enjoyer if you haven't done something similar already; get rid of those garbage can green gamer razr headsets or whatever you got and get a pair of ~$100 headphones or whatever (I got a pair of sennheiser's that have lasted me like 8 years, very nice) and a good headphone amp that hooks up to the audio-optical port on your pc. you'd be amazed.

you might need to let the clip loop once or twice so the quality stabilizes because the emerald cuck ain't exactly good with computers.

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1675500585477439488

like, I made a friend in quickplay in early days of overwatch. and he was weird cause like, I was always super nice to him but he would constantly neg me in games. but i'm chill and figure 'eh maybe he's just going through some poo poo, whatever let him talk' but he started getting more and more assertive about it. so eventually i was just like 'dude, like you keep blaming me for poo poo in game and... you loving play this game with lovely pc desktop speakers. what the gently caress is wrong with you?' and like... he just ghosted me lol. like a vampire geting hit by daylight. how weird, yet actually not cause that's very typical gamer-brain-rot.

Edit: pfffft.. my memory is so bad like... the game is clearly filled but for whatever reason I thought there were leavers.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

it might be just that i dont know anyone that has a pc hooked up to a home theatre or that hdmi audio is pretty good nowadays but it never occurred to me you could get a computer with an optical out port. i actually thought they werent even widely supported nowadays just bc last time i had a 7.1 setup i had a hell of a time getting my cheap stereo that only had optical to talk to my amp because the expensive amp only had hdmi and the converter cables caused weird distortion

Weird. I haven't built a new PC in a while but the last 3 PC's I made had a S/PDIF toslink port built into the motherboard. I was really tired when I wrote that post & should have used the proper terminology.

Is that not common anymore? I remember it being so ubiquitous that it would probably have been almost impossible to purchase a motherboard that didn't have one.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

This is what I mean by "Headphone amp". Sorry for the kinda vague language.

Seems like they don't sell this specific one anymore but this is the last model I recommended to a friend. Not very pricey, maybe $50? Definitely don't fall for any audio-phile snake oil, it's a very cheap device to produce.

Edit: Yeah it's more a DAC with a headphone out than a "true" headphone amp. I've seen odd setups where a person would have one of these AND a tube headphone amp but... yeah you don't need that poo poo just get a box like this and plug your headphones in direct.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

dogstile posted:

I'd argue she's actually easier at lower elo's because if you can convince someone to pocket (and no, asking for teamwork in a team game is not unreasonable)

Absolutely man, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

And let me tell you (too lazy to find the screenshot) the second I read a gamer-brain-rotted DPS dumby having the audacity to think blue-chat was a safe space to type "POCKET ME YOU RETARD" like an abusive shitheel I quickly made orange-chat a blistering inferno that logged every single stupid mistake he made during the match afterwards.

It's quickplay, & I usually try to do my best- but there's no SR on the table so no biggie I'll gladly spend half the game playing whitehat Overbully. No SR to lose/gain, but maybe that guy got some SSRI's after I mercilessly ridiculed him.

Edit: Oh and just for the record I was the second DPS, not the support he was being mean to. and there's no loving way they were not a he

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

field balm posted:

bold of you to assume I'm not listening to grindcore much, much louder than the game audio

But does the grindcore got Dolby Atmost? :smug:

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah and some people don't understand that on some maps you can just kind of ignore them and concentrate on killing the other three members.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

half the success of pharahmercy is that the other team starts screaming at their hitscan for not handling pharahmercy and things spiral from there lol

https://vimeo.com/848792951

Yeah for whatever reason people just assume 'oh you're hitscan right just loving KILL'EM DUMBY' but... it's kind of a big ask to expect any rando you get match made with to do it. Like I dunno, pocket the hitscan or go zen and help them out. 'Pew-pew the birdies! it's easy!'

Edit: I deleted all my OW1 footage because it was taking up so much space but the best part about that loving PotG is that ENTIRE game my team was making GBS threads on me for 'not dealing with the pharmacy!' but like dude.... I can pew-pew but sometimes people need help.

Edit 2: 'i dunno bro i just go widow and own'em' like.... I spent 2 weeks straight on&off in widow headshot-only lobbies but I literally can not untrain my brain to get the discipline to not fire too early and leave everything at 1hp. Like I just can't, for whatever the reason is... I'm just too impulsive/bloodlusty etc. I just can't get widow to work with how I'm wired to play vidya.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

I seem to remember when Overwatch 2 first released there was rumour/spectulation of a guild/clan system? I think someone mentioned it off-handedly in match-chats a few times. That really intrigued me & any bit of knowledge anyone in this thread has about that would be wonderful to hear about.

If done right, maybe it could emulate the old ways of online gaming where communities kinda just.... "popped up" around private servers & you'd develop relationships with people, rivalries with others' groups etc.. Trade tips, advice etc. Like it could be a way to encourage a mentoring environment for players wanting to learn the ropes and make that transitiony---heliopausish-grey-area of 'mechanically passable yet the intricacies of higher-level play remain illusive' to 'finally playing the game properly and not needing some sci-fi mental telepathy helmet to grasp your teammates' intent'. Because unless you really dig deep on 200+ page threads on dead gay forums, listen to only the right voices on various subreddits, get thrown a lifebuoy via a chill discord group's invite link, or (god help you) endlessly watch hours of live-streams of specific, role-model-legends "pillars of a game's community" types on the wasteland that is bozos-is-a-vampire's wtitch dot calm most people just end up as a hamster spinning on a wheel & just quietly accepting it as if it's some endless misery for sins in a past life. Well, a hamster wheel that has some gauche, obnoxious logo that is ever visible, is just "cheap enough" to be "good enough" but it ain't THAT great.

Right now I think the weirdest issues with online competitive-serious-business gaming (ESPECIALLY with Overwatch) are.... well I could probably write a book just based on all the incredibly insightful people in this thread. But I left some breadcrumbs in my previous posts, veiled things because if you say things too plainly people just want to kick your head off for whatever reason, as if it's some personal attack when I swear on christ I don't bother ever looking at anybody's posting history beyond the last couple of pages I'm reading in a thread. But you could probably put some kind of incomplete jigsaw-puzzle together if you looked at the past few of mine, along with a clue like 'it starts with some trite opening lines like:' "Video games used to come with instruction manuals. Now companies just throw people to the wolves! Unpaid beta-testers; endlessly trapped in incomplete "free-live-games-as-a-service" spinning-wheels as sponsored-streamers laugh at them when those same beta-testers' deaths are broadcast to millions while spouting silly catchphrases & counting their cheffamabozon's bux off cam. Endlessly using the pronoun 'we' instead of 'me'." Yeah, but... you know. You'd never read it.

Because...... I'm never gonna write that book! Not even remotely- not even if you sifted through thousands of alternate timeline inter-rations am I ever qualified enough to take on a project like that; I'm just a hack goofy-rear end clown & just like to screw around.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 27, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

I loved looking for group! Just a stupid text string alone can convey a vibe so well, like:

"There's always money in the Orisa stand chk chk" arrested development reference; probably chill, funny people. maybe wants to only Orisa?

and all the people who would use various ways to get around 'banned' words were always some wild-card freaks, whether chill or just stupid I didn't care I'd get into voice and feel'em out. Such fun poo poo.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 27, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

im depressed lol posted:

It loving sucks that currently the best players in the world in this awesome game get to the top of those stairs only to realize it loving sucks up there.

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1157785682368221184

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I thought I was the only person in teh world who saw this movie.

Good movie right? Some pacing issues or whatever but, good god that ending; get me a fainting couch, a mint julep & a meticulously crafted exotic folding fan because I still get lost in it.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Like I said, I really love this game. For a while I was having a great time sharing content I made, got one my videos on youtube to 500 views (an Ana sleep-dart goofy rear end mock-frag vidya) purely by asking people to check it out.... in in-game Overwatch chat where you can't even click a loving URL. Played 500 loving hours of comp as a support main. I could write a 500 page love-letter about how much I adore Ana's design/kit/etc., every detail of that character is such... :swoon:

Met some cool people but... god I realized I was going to have an aneurysm if I endlessly tried to maintain a flow state whilst trying to play team emotional-support-animal/therapist to a bunch of loving gamer-brain-rotted artless hacks trying to blame-game ego-pain away to cover for any of their trash-DPS misplays. Not that I'm some god-tier gamer or whatever but man in a scene where everyone wants 'number to go up, that gosh-darn machine-god senpai needs to validate the time I'm putting in' you can't exactly just lose your mind and call bullshit behavior out in comms and still expect to win because so many of these people in comp are emotional infants and will throw a tantrum and throw the match if you bring a mirror up to them.

I made this in September 2017. Maybe it's cool, I dunno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogduT2-qW_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogduT2-qW_c

Played a lot of left4dead2, a game in which when you played any serious amount of the Versus mode and got in the PUG/promod scene you'd pick up pretty quick that you could convey intent as the infected side essentially telepathically through positioning queues alone via the infected class you were and your glows. Like, very relevant to that youtube you might not even click.

There is a gamerman inside these ladder-climber head's; they must be destroyed. Even my clown rear end can't stomach leaving this melodramatic phrase up, honk honk?

Edit: But ah whatever, none of the words of this loving quickplay-McClownsidy matter. I looked at his profile and he doesn't even play comp!

Edit 2: And yeah, once I hit mid-masters everyone started getting noticeably chiller and smarter, but it just made interacting with the odd Genji that was hitting his peak SR unless he learned some new poo poo all the more loving infuriating because that made me all the more wanting to do some old school poo poo and bitch them out in mumble for being a jackass. But... like you gotta be polite in these modes and that kinda muzzle drains on a person like me. Yeah I'm super chill because I only play quickplay. I know who I am, what pisses me off etc. So yeah, gently caress comp in its current state. But if you like it whatever, I get it! I've watched plenty of people able to maintain their zen/chill on all areas of the ladder. God-tier players, and I have n o w o r d s for the amount I respect that poo poo. Even the people who are hyper-cocky and even if you're one of them and you read all this poo poo and still wanna call me a QP Cassidy idiot... I'd laugh! Because it'd be coming from a player that yeah.... they're loving better at me at this game & have earned the right to be a bit condescending or whatever. But.... pffft... I have been playing games online a long time. And I love quickplay, it fits me like a glove.

Edit 3: Oh yeah, one more thing! I got so mad from playing support I just said gently caress it, embraced the tilt and slam-picked McCree regardless of whatever kind of team-comp we were running/whatever the gently caress the enemy was doing/attack or defend/whatever map we were on/refusing to join voice comms/only barely skimming 2 minutes worth of content from a god DPS player like maybe.... kephrii? on positioning on maps as McCree when I never played comp as DPS before etc. etc. for like 30 comp games towards the end of OW1 S5. And I fell down those loving stairs hard and I was laughing the whole time from I believe 3750ish as support to ending at like 3300ish as stupid-tilted-DPS-careless-shitter

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 28, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

d0grent posted:

I just wish they would bring back group finder.

code:
C0INCELPR0
That was my favorite one. The people I was playing with at the time and I used that one all the time; my god sometimes the funniest loving people would join that one.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

im depressed lol posted:

And I fell down those loving stairs hard and I was laughing the whole time

And then I realized that less-structured, more loosely match-made mode that no one takes seriously...
When I play it I didn't have to give a poo poo about the 4 or 5 other people's SR rating tanking & feeling personally wronged by me if I gently caress up or they think I hosed up because some rear end in a top hat DPS is the loudest voice in the comms and pointed something out first...

I can have fun & I can just go for dumb trick shot sleeps and laugh if I land them because I don't have to save it for like a genji blade or whatever since we're probably gonna win anyway since the matchmaker maybe hosed up a bit... I can just start- ruffling the feathers on some birds... think she's safe in the air because she pressed Q or whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkCbxcbE9E

That's an old one I forgot I even uploaded, probably just showed it to one other person. Not gonna clog up the thread or anything with this kinda poo poo, but I have 700 hours on this loving old lady because I love her so much. I land stupid poo poo like this more often than you'd probably think. Maybe not 'world-class' or anything, but probably better than the average Ana. And definitely better than the average Ana in quickplay. I miss a bunch too, but you miss all the cool ones you never go for!

But it's my favorite god drat thing to do in any FPS I've ever played & I don't want to see this game dying on the vine or the high-level players leaving because of the loving nightmare of balancing at the top is causing nightmares for those world-class players. But bumping into them when they warm up or are just looking to play casually- maybe off their mains for a minute or whatever it's usually loving rad as poo poo. & I got a bunch of dumb clips in clownplay with GM's & Top 500's loving around with me too and I love randomly getting match-made with those fuckers because it gets really weird and hilarious sometimes. Getting poo poo on- surprising them etc. etc. I love the chaos of quickplay so loving much. I'm so bad at this loving game but occasionally I see so much great poo poo in-game and replays from those high-level players and I'm glad they even bother to hop into quickplay at all.

Like the game these naps are from; the echo got napped twice so she raged out of the loving game- (really wish there was a significant consistent-leaver's penalty of some kind in quickplay, wishlist?)
https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1682838746507403264

..and then (if I remember right....) a Top 500 (or some higher level player) backfills and carries them so loving hard it's disgusting and I loved every second of it.

I could write a bunch more about this loving game, it's rad as loving hell. But I might be a little direct now that I got to the punchline in that last post after all that meandering, prosey preamble.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 28, 2023