Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Dumb PS4 question: For six years I've been playing off a disc install of Overwatch. Now that it's F2P can I just delete the disc install, download it from the PS store and it will remember who I am and all the stuff I've unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Are cosmetics tied to your linked Battle.net account? I got into a server and I'm level 1 with nothing unlocked and no currency.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 6, 2022

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

Theoretically yes. Are you on console and did you merge your account?

Edit: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/cross-progression-is-coming-to-overwatch-2-account-merge-faq/

Not sure how well it works right now with the servers on fire.

I'm on PS4 but I haven't merged my account yet. I see the merge option there at the bottom in the OW2 main menu but when I select it, nothing happens. I just hear a little UI noise.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

I play in PC so I haven't gone through the merge stuff but read through the FAQ in that link and see if it helps. Specifically this might do it?

How do I link my console account to Battle.net if it wasn’t automatically detected?
Here are the steps you can take to merge your console account to a battle.net account:

1. Login to Overwatch from your console account.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to scan a QR Code on your mobile phone.
3. Enter the code displayed on your console to connect to or create your Blizzard Battle.net Account.
4. Once complete, you will be prompted to confirm your account upon the next game login to merge your accounts.

I linked my Battle.net account and console OW profile way back when cross play was added. Hopefully it's just a server glitch that gets cleared up over the next week. The thing that scared me was that I played a match and earned some XP. Hopefully that little chunk of XP I won doesn't overwrite my whole history.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

Do you have all the characters unlocked? If you do, then it's probably just a glitch. Hope it works out.

So far in OW2 I've unlocked Genji, but I got scared and stopped playing in case I was writing a new server side playercosmetics_earned.dat file under my Battle.net ID.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DrBox posted:

The game is a lot flankier now. No more goats style death ball vs death ball. If you're soldier you want to be looking for angles and picks, not padding stats by shooting at tanks from the back. This is one way where the scoreboard does a bad job of incentivizing optimal play. I was in a game where people were being lovely to our Genji because his damage was low, but he was mainly flanking around and getting picks on the healers to allow us to move forward rather than just spam M1 into a Roadhog.

That sounds like a brand new account then, not an OW1 account moving over. If you log in tomorrow and you still are not able to play the characters you normally would then you probably have to sort something out.

Weird. My Battle.net ID is there in the upper right, same 4 digit number as the one on the main account page when I view it on the website.

Also, I can switch to the pink Mercy charity skin that I bought years ago, but somehow I'm a level 1?

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 6, 2022

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Based on these cinematic shorts, it looks like Overwatch characters subsist on a diet of processed garbage. Pie, instant noodles, D.va-branded soda & crisps, donuts, pizza, etc. Winston's peanut butter (assuming it's the all-natural type you have to stir) is probably the healthiest thing I've seen anyone eat in this game.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Phew. Got all my stuff back with the latest console update that fixed the merge issue. Cosmetics, endorsement level, legacy coins, custom controls, etc.

Other console players: does OW2 allow double-tapping or pressing and holding a D pad direction for different controls? Right now I have to sacrifice the spray menu so I can have an interact button. Do I have to sacrifice emotes so I can ping?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I don't understand the uproar over the phone thing. I'm trying to picture someone who has the money for a gaming PC or a console with XBL/PSN subscription on top of monthly broadband internet, but no phone? Seems like the phone ought to be the first thing on the priority list.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Countblanc posted:

i hope the new tank is a mean and evil omnic because every omnic so far is some mix of childishly naive and angelic

I think Jeff confirmed a few years ago that this mystery character from the Storm Rising finale is one of the tanks they have in development:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Quotey posted:

Didn't Hanzo kill Genji or something?

If the Blackwatch Genji skin is any indicator, he brutally dismembered Genji in a swordfight and left him to die like Anakin Skywalker. Then Overwatch somehow arrived on the scene right after Hanzo left and Mercy saved his life. Wracked with shame and anguish over "killing" Genji, Hanzo left the Shimada clan and vowed to never use a sword again.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2022

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

It’s a huge trap for learning players and encourages trash damage + trash-damage producing behavior/heroes (f.ex. junkrat, moira). All that matters is timing and importance of the kill - things like damage-to-kill conversion or kill-to-cap conversion would be much more useful stats.

Also trash damage actively hurts your team by donating ult charge and zarya charge.

Does the damage stat in OW2 still mean "hero damage" like it did in OW1, or did they revert it to "general damage inflicted on all things including barriers and summoned objects"?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Search my posts in this thread, I fukken called it bro

But seriously I thought Omnics were created in Omniums, some of which were still active. Also, who qualifies as an omnic? Orisa? Bastion? B.O.B.? Is Snowball an omnic?

If Snowball is just a non-omnic digital buddy I don’t know why Mei was so distraught when he drained his battery to buy her time. Surely he can be backed up to a portable drive or an encrypted cloud server…?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They announced Overwatch 2 in 2019, they haven't come up with a single PvE thing they can show us in that entire time. To the point where they just shipped without it.

There was that one demo level that streamers and other attendees got to play where Rein/Mei/Lucio/Tracer fought their way through Rio, infiltrated a Null Sector facility, and fought a boss encounter before escaping to a ship piloted by Echo. There were little equipment crates at various points that offered powerups like deployable turrets or other one-use abilities. It felt kind of like a higher effort Uprising. Who knows, though? They may have scrapped and reworked a bunch of that stuff by now.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Why doesn’t Kiriko get any MIT points for suzu-ing a DPS ult? I prevented a death blossom from killing me and our tank and you’d never know it looking at the stat panel.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Maybe we’re getting a mythic Mei skin in S3. But I have the feeling mythic skins will be on a damage -> tank -> support cycle

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Jack Trades posted:

It's...one of her least bad skins.

I have all of her OW1 skins and the only ones I ever use is Blackwatch and Scientist.
Her OW2 default is legit the best one she's got.

Yeah I rarely use any of her skins besides Blackwatch, Scientist, Oasis, and Banshee.

And holy crap the boots on the new Mei skin are huge.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Is the coin grind still capped at 60 per week?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Issaries posted:

Weeklies are exactly same as in Season 2. 60 per week, unless you :homebrew:

This is dumb. Blizzard should just shamelessly copy what Rocket League does. Make it possible for players to recoup all the credits spent on the pass if they buy it and stoically grind to the final unlock while resisting the urge to buy cosmetics in the shop (a better value proposition as inverted neon tires don't have as much :3: personality as an OW skin). Player count stays strong year round as many players want to keep the ball rolling and maximize value out of their initial investment. Some won't, but they'll only have themselves to blame and maybe they'll spend again on another pass. Blizzard gets positive word of mouth from YT/Twitch personalities and plenty of whales still succumb to the lure of shop items. Bing bong, so simple.

Play 20 games to earn 500 legacy credits. Repeatable 5 times per season.

Lose within 15 seconds of backfilling into a QP match? You get 10 premium coins.

Queueing for All Roles 50 consecutive times in QP and/or comp earns 50 premium coins. Can only be done twice per season. Queue times potentially improve for tank and DPS, grinders remain engaged with the game, player impressions trend positively. Everyone wins.

SadisTech posted:

First game of Season 3 put me up against a 5 stack on ilios. My tank got 8 elims to their tank's 24 and the only comms from them during the game were "lol im terrible" and "i just want my xp :("

I lucked out on my first game of Season 3 despite it being New Queen Street in QP. My teammates actually waited to regroup. Several players on the other team ragequit after the first and second team fights even though barricade progress was surprisingly equal at that point in the match.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Really? I thought they said all the OW1 skins (except some special events) were available using legacy credits as of the latest season.

Edit: OW1 year-round skins are purchasable with legacy credits but virtually all event skins are locked behind the OW2 coins. Tulum Sombra , Warlock Ashe, and Tropical Baptiste are just a few examples. Wandering Monk Ramattra was purchasable with legacy credits last week but is now only obtainable with OW2 coins.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 8, 2023

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Are there any effective counters to a beam-heavy team like Zarya, Sym, Mei, Moira, [support #2]? I ran into this as a tank and no matter who I switched to I got ruthlessly microwaved.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Xandir Wifflebottom skin when?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i still dont know if im buying the battle pass for lifeweaver or just saving my coins for season 6. i dont love the skins ive seen but i havent looked over it to see if theres anything else in there i like the look of

Yeah, I'm ok with grinding out coins until the Season 6 hero drops. Mob Boss Junker Queen, Metropolis Echo, and Mythic Sigma are cool but I don't play Sigma very often.

Do shop skins go away forever after the end of their debut season? Or do they come back from time to time?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Are the Anniversary and Archives events just gone for good now? If PvE isn't coming until 2024, at least give us some stale leftovers to snack on until then.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

So they could have just continued improving Overwatch 1 this entire time.

I'm guessing the co-op modes planned for future seasons will be like Storm Rising/Junkenstein in terms of depth & replayability? I can sorta see why the talent tree thing might have been too complicated to pull off considering there's 3 - 4 new heroes per year now, but character locking story missions could have averted that issue.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Nae posted:

It’s pretty sweet that the only story content we’ll have gotten out of this game in its entire history is the one blackwatch mission where Reaper is supposed to arrest a guy but then shrugs and shotguns him in the face. That’s the Overwatch I love.

Don't forget that other mission where they chased Maximillien through a rum distillery and then caught him and demanded an introduction to some mysterious person (Ramattra?).

Or the mission from Tracer's cadet days where they blew a hole in a door with one of Torb's IEDs and took out some OR-14s.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The thing that blows me away is finding out a bunch of people actually still 100% believed that the PvE was actually still being worked on and might be made right up to the official announcement. I thought everyone knew that was dead and gone like, four years ago.

I was a believer back when I saw that demo level set in Rio where they infiltrated a factory ship and fought an omnic boss. Earlier this year when Blizzard issued that stupid return to office rule and people started leaving is when the doubt really began to creep in.

Now instead of PvE, I anxiously await the Crowbcat video about this whole debacle.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

One thing's for sure, this PvE rugpull is an indirect confirmation of another widely held suspicion: Loser's queue is real

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Wheeee posted:

wonder what jeff's up to these days

He made a career switch to luxury home construction

https://www.jeffkaplanconstruction.com/

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Vermain posted:

i genuinely think it looks worse if you ignore it at this point, because the blowback has been coming from every corner of the OW community and even a significant number of content creators outside the ecosystem

this obviously won't soothe hurt feelings much, but it at least shows a certain degree of dedication to trying to make things right versus dropping the "PVE is cancelled" bombshell and then hiding in a bunker for the next few months like you hadn't just burnt every shred of remaining goodwill your community had

the idea behind PVE originally was to have a truly open mode where you could pick whatever hero you wanted, go through dynamic missions, and have genuine progress that carries over between each session to promote repeated play, whereas "story missions" are just archives/junkenstein with a limited pool, no progress, and no point on replaying them except, i guess, battle pass progress and getting a high score like it's 1980

It really comes down to how much these upcoming story missions will differ from Archives where it's just "do what you'd normally do on this map, but some sections are altered and there's character chatter". Hopefully they took what was fun & cool from the 2019 Rio demo and last fall's Bride of Junkenstein event and expanded on it. If they really wanted to ease our pain, Blizzard could throw us a bone by making each story mission release a permanent part of the game (other PvE modes would still come and go), so as the seasons go on there'd be an expanding library of missions to choose from via the Watchpoint Gibraltar map interface. That way, someone who angrily uninstalled the game this week might return later on and have a small stack of missions to try out. Or maybe that would gradually bloat the install size to 300GB, who knows?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

New video with more footage and info on Season 6

im depressed lol posted:

Do we know if the PvE is going to be purchasable with the arcade "premium" coins?

That sounds like a sensible policy the Overwatch team would be cool with but Blizzard corporate would veto with extreme prejudice. It would give players who have close to $15 worth of premium coins incentive to forego Season 5 items and grind out a few more weeks of coins instead of dropping an additional $15 on the Invasion Bundle. That means ActiBlizz number might go up slightly slower than it otherwise would. Shareholders no like.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 21, 2023

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23968777/

There's going to be an Overwatch anime mini-series on YouTube called Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYMn8eDskg

the article also has some more details about Flashpoint mode and another peek at the S6 support hero.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Played the Volleyball mode for just long enough to get the rewards. Impressive that they managed to make a game mode worse than Lucioball.

They did something with Lucioball's boop detection or the gun's cone of effect because I'm getting a lot of no-regs when I'm pretty sure I should have cleared the ball over the other end of the arena. Even in replays I can see the other players firing their guns like mad with limited success.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I was scrolling through the player name cards and saw a bunch of Pride Month cards I hadn’t noticed before including ones for… Baptiste and Pharah?

Did Blizzard just randomly decide to LGBT-ify these characters without any backstory? At least Soldier had that passing mention of his ex boyfriend in the Bastet comic.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Mischief & Magic is probably the best new event arcade mode of the OW2 era so far. Better than Winstonball, Battle for Olympus, or Raid Boss Reinhardt. My signature move is to act like I don't see the obvious book in the rafters, do some performative stabs on a few other objects, turn to leave, then do a quick 180 and dash into them. Some of the mechanics are still bullshit though. Rogues should not be both invisible and invincible during the transform puff. I've lost count of how many times I've dashed through a cloud and seen a damage X with no kill.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Good thing I slowly ground out a few hundred coins during S4 and S5 to put me over the 1500 mark because now Blizzard will definitely allow me to spend that $15 worth of coins on the $15 Invasion Bundle. Going to take a big sip of coffee as I click on the shop this Thursday...

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao what is that loving frame drop between 0:56 and 0:59? Did they run out of budget to render 60 fps video?

When Brigitte swings her mace? It's one of those pre-rendered cutscenes like they had in Retribution and Storm Rising. Those all play at a more cinematic 24fps.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Jack Trades posted:

If I was an Ana fan I'd be pissed for that being her Mythic Skin.

It’s a cool skin but yeah I kind of wish they went with a more regal Egyptian theme with a fancy hairstyle and ornate robes or something.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Jack Trades posted:

Overwatch now has official ages for all the character listed on the website and none of them fit the previously established lore.

Starting to think that Blizzard doesn't know how to count.

Yeah I had some other quibbles with the Overwatch writing that I guess we're just supposed to forget about :

- If Mei and her Ecopoint team were considered dead, why didn't anyone at least send a recovery operation to retrieve the bodies? Antarctica has the lowest annual precipitation levels on Earth, so it's not like it's whiteout conditions all the time. Why not have an Athena-style AI or an Omnic technician to monitor the cryo chambers? Did Mei head straight to Watchpoint Gibraltar after leaving the base? Doesn't she have relatives who'd want to know she survived?

- How'd they acquire another Orca to fly from Paris to Rio after the Titan sliced the first one in half? Are there a bunch of Orcas just sitting around for Tracer to grab whenever she wants?

- Sojourn rescues those Omnics in the Toronto intro cutscene, and then she runs into a bunch of Overwatch members seconds later. Did they all just wait there in hiding, not helping?

- Is Bastion just another robot like the grunts you fight in the missions, or does he somehow have an Omnic soul that sets him apart?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

one thing I've noticed - other players don't hear the voice modulation on the Ana mythic

which is bullshit, I demand to subject them to my robot grandma

I hear her robot voice when she does her ult or gets the killing blow on a character she knows from the OW story.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

When the source code is leaked (and given morale levels, it'll probably happen soon), we'll likely find out that:

- Losers queue is real
- Mystery Heroes does a coin toss in the final two minutes of a match, stacking one team with DPS healers and high-survivability tanks, and the other team with squishies who require pro-tier mechanical skills and cooldown management to have any impact whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hippie Mei was the closest I got to buying a skin. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Sandwolf posted:

What can you even buy with credits? One single skin or something?

Older shop skins like Art Deco Symmetra and Hermes Lucio are currently purchasable with credits in the shop's Anniversary section. Hopefully they do this for every Anniversary event.