Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I dislike the sound effect from getting a barrier from Kiriko, it is very disrupting for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

Sombra needs a nerf I think. I've been playing her in DPS placements and she drives the other team completely insane. If they all don't peel at once it's like a squishy insta-delete

I've faced some Sombra/Zen duos and the rate you get just deleted are insane.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Was Silver 3 tank after my placement matches, then after the next 7 wins I was gold 5, I have no idea how this new system works I miss just gaining/losing points after each match.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think an "ults nullified" would be a neat stat on the board, killed tires, eaten zarya ults, genji headshots the moment he blades.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been having great fun with Torb in Comp, I know there's a ceiling I'll hit at some point due his turret only working on dipshits but I'll enjoy the ride until then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If they want more variety in teams they went the wrong direction, should be 10 vs 10 not 5 vs 5.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

So the main reason I think I quit Overwatch was that it got to the point where every other game felt like there was some GM+ smurf in the game wrecking my team single handedly. It's only going to be much much worse with F2P right? Plus the impact they have when it's 5 on 5 is going to be even more miserable. I've already faced low level profile Genji's that just destroy everyone, i'm talking like they have 5000 damage when the next best dps on both teams has 1500.

The new grind gateway to comp seems to have solved this, there are far fewer smurfs there then the old days. QP I have no idea though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

All Tanks have push resistance now.

Also Orisa can clown on Rein in a brawl.

As a Rein main Orisa the most annoying to fight if she's good, her shift and spear can gently caress you up movement wise. A good hog can also be annoying as poo poo. Honestly the best Rein counter? A Lucio, being able to speed people away from me and boop me around especially during charges is the most annoying poo poo ever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm mostly high gold/low plat in all 3 now exactly where I was in OW1, bad teammates suck but I feel the biggest thing keeping me from going higher is my own inconsistency. Some games I just play like total rear end, I feel that is one of the big things about the pros is they practice and focus to be more even in their play.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zarya is the worst in gold as another tank. The DPS never want to help kill her, one actually refused when asked "because that's how she does more damage" while he was popping bubbles on other characters giving her 100% anyway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

As a tank main Road is my go-to if my DPS can't get picks, then you can pick off a DPS for them and try to snowball from there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

backseating people's hero choices is always an awful idea because you have no idea how skilled they are with the "better" counterpicks. if someone is comfortable with a character who isn't particularly countered by the opponent's team odds are they're playing the best choice for the job for that specific player. there's a good chance that person wouldn't hit a single direct grenade the entire game on junkrat.

The only caveat here I would say is DPS players need some sort of hitscan, because if you can't counter Pharah on some level she will just dominate lower elos.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

there is more voice chatter the higher you go on ladder

but most of the teamwork in ow is non-verbal and you can still focus on teamwork with zero comms. as an example, the vast majority of ow players are atrociously terrible at even just trying to immediately follow up on a dive tank's initiation and focusing the squishy they are focusing.

As a tank player 90% of games are decided if the DPS decide to help with whatever I'm fighting. The worst matches are when their DPS are helping them focus me and mine are off doing something then complaining about me dying.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think it's about time skins start adding stats especially as we can't get them for free anymore.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Def not a blizzard thing. Any hyper competitive shooter/moba/RTS will be the same way.

Yeah go dip your toe in League of Legends to see some truly depraved people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah as Rein brigs not even a speedbump anymore I just mow her down while left clicking through the team without a second thought. As a tank player the most impactful healer will always be Ana a good one with sleeps/nade will gently caress me all day long. To a lesser extent Kiriko because her invuln can screw with my charges and I find that annoying.

Speaking of playing Rein Blizzard World is great with the dash cancel, I played a team right after the cart spawned on defense and I must of shoved 10+ of them into that bay, never once did they Orisa or anything to stop me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's true the only thing I hate more then a widow on my team is a tank, is back in OW1 was being like Rein and having a ball as my secondary, then getting my rear end beat 2v1 while he's rolling around the middle of nowhere doing god knows what.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dogstile posted:

Tank diff is usually so weird anyway. I completely poo poo on a guy playing JQ, then the next match i face him again but my team is pocketing the dps and ignoring me, they're not getting the picks they need and i'm basically just being run over without heals.

Get's called tank diff, but its just a team dynamic not working out.

Yeah whenever I see "tank diff" from my own team when we lose and I'm the tank it usually comes from me fighting a mirror fight/another tank when they have like a pocket mercy and my healer is part of the a dps/support queue duo that has hosed off somewhere doing nothing. Maybe holding right click while your friend playing soldier while he gets no kills isn't the super strategy to comp you think it is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Midniter posted:

This might be a dumb question as tanks have the highest health and can output lots of damage, but...as a tank, should I be doing the most damage and have the most elims on my team, like every game? Isn't that what DPS is for, or have I just been playing with bad DPS teammates?

Depends on the tank but especially at lower ELO you are getting the most heals/are harder to kill so yeah you typically do more damage.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Things have felt more toxic lately, almost every match has 1-2 people raging right from the start, I dunno if its I finally moved up to Play or that the non-toxic people have been leaking out but its getting annoying.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lots of time when I see "tank diff" it's usually from a DPS that was off on their own getting themselves killed vs dps on the other team that was getting picks and/or assisting their tank.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I never understand it when I get ice walled off and my team just stands there waiting for it to go down instead of you know, shooting a hole in it for me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I love playing hog but they insist on loving with him, sometimes as a tank your DPS just can't get picks and hog is the way to go. I really wish they would release numbers on pickrates would be very interesting to see the tank spread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

widespread posted:

Ah yes, more clarity on skill diff. That's what we need.

Not, yknow, figuring why some folks might be losing rank after winning 7 matches.

Yeah I know I'm probably not actually getting better or anything but doing like 2-3 7-2 streaks in a row and staying Gold 2 was disappointing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tank role passives are odd because it's a foray into different queues having different stats which they've avoided in the past, maybe it's to test the waters for a 6v6 comp queue.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rick posted:

The foot stomp thing is annoying because I really want an accessibility addition of some sort of visual indicator where you are getting shot from. Turning up steps makes it WORSE for me to try to figure out where the sound came from

Best thing Fortnite ever did was this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just had a leaver in about 6 games in a row and went from plat 4 tank last season to silver 5 in this one. Every single game this season has been weirdly massively one sided and I'm not sure why.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah certain ranks are ruled by certain champs, things like Pharmacy rule gold because gold level dps can't/have trouble with shooting a flying target that sort of thing. Tier lists assume things like "can you headshot this person reliably" "are you working even slightly as a team"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Also part of the reason people play OW2 is to get away from one shot headshot sniper instant deaths that plague many other FPSs, Widowmaker is just the new generation of AWPers in a game even less designed to accept that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SadisTech posted:

The last match I had before calling it last night had a dps Moira who, while the primalling Winston was solo focusing me around and around the point on Ilios Ruins, was following us holding succ on the Winston and doing no healing whatsoever. I think they had around 3.5K total heals by the end of three rounds.

This is the sort of thing that just completely breaks your spirit.

Yeah I had a real bad stretch of tank placement games and I'm down in silver from plat and this is the worst, DPS Moira's were bad in OW1 but the misleading nature of the scoreboard makes them think they are far better then they are. Like sure you have a ton of elims but are those elims that we would of gotten without you even though you right clicked them for 20 damage while I was at 10% life for a solid minute?

I've died numerous times as tank now not even in that dangerous situations and I'll watch a Moira dps ball float over my corpse not even after any enemy in particular just trying to rack up more dps score.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't have much trouble with Bastion as Orisa, as long as my dps is smart enough to shoot while I'm spinning/spearing him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

People in gold get too obsessed with ignoring Zarya making her bubbles better then they are. If you ignore her too much she will just bubble her dps while they murder you. She's quite weak if everyone just swings on her for 5 seconds.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jimbot posted:

The worst thing about the lulls in the matchmaking is that those games end up being the worst loses imaginable. Just imagine playing all role with your friends for the first time to just get rolled by a team whose lowest elimination is 30 and your highest is 8. Wish there was a "Surrender" button because that was aggressively unfun.

League style surrender votes would be the worst.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

The issue is that a Gold Tank will have to play completely differently depending on whether they have Bronze Supports or Diamond Supports, same goes for the Support Players, which is insanely frustrating when you're not loving allowed to know you teammate's ranks, and mentally adjust to that accordingly before the match is half-way done.

Yeah this is a huge thing, like I get DPS asking me to dive in more but that entirely depends on if the healers have my back or not. Playing safer if the healers can't keep up is better then dashing in and dying and yelling at them because they don't know how to play.

dogstile posted:

I imagine this is like playing against someone who's really really good at ice hockey while you're just starting out.

You basically only get to play when they let you.

Ok so many many years ago me and my friends decided we wanted to get into a physical sport and went to the Y to play basketball, we got a court and were messing around but were getting stares from a group of guys who wanted us to get off the court because we weren't playing seriously enough so we invited them to play against us. Turns out it Muggsy Bogues and his sons/friends, it was an absolute massacre and we never played basketball again. Not that we probably would of anyway but it makes a great story/excuse as to why we quit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Malah posted:

Posters just keep jumping on the landmine that is CBO's peeve with the thread. It's refreshing to see someone push back on the constant "my teammates are IRREDEEMABLE GARBAGE, why am I matched with these LOSERS!?"

Matchmaking being hosed is a separate issue from people fundamentally misunderstanding how rating systems work.

A lot of this isn't entirely serious, sometimes it helps to vent about some shitshow you ended up with even if sometimes you are the shitshow.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think Mystery Heroes with role queue would very much be my jam.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I swear I can feel it when a streamer puts out some new buzzword or instruction video. I've had 3ish Anas in the past day all sit as far back as possible and constantly yell at me if I go past any corners and yell corners nonstop. WE WERE ON ATTACK like at some point I have to press W.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There a discord people are still playing this on? I'm hedging on goons being slightly less sadistic then the average rando.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just hope the new hero isn't headshot based, they haven't given much love to the "can't aim for poo poo" crowd lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

JQ just doesn't really fit any good archetype I never feel the need to play her. I have always felt that she could be adapted to be a sort of leech tank, maybe even have something like if you stick your knife to someone you get the healing/buffs like nano they get for a short time.