Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Support isn't fun in comp.

I had a team with a Hog that kept running into a small room and getting anti-naded and they kept getting mad that they weren't getting any heals. Well yeah, when you keep going in solo and not waiting for your healers while trying to 1v5 the other team and keep walking right into an Ana comp you aren't gonna be getting heals.

People are ridiculous in not playing together. And oh yeah, nobody bothers to peel for healers. When your lone tank just decides to DPS and run straight into the other team and not bother to protect squishies and complains about no heals, it's not fun. Oh and also when I'm the only one bothering to check the Reaper who keeps flanking, sleeping him, pinging my teammates, and they completely ignore it and keep on standing at the choke shooting nothing. Then get surprised when they're death blossomed.

Oh and also the DPS person complaining about Junkrat while they were playing a Tracer into him. I'm not gonna be one of those jerks to tell you to switch off characters, but don't complain when you make a pick like that.

I've had a lot more fun and success as a tank because I actually know what to do in that role.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Is there a way to even know if you have the battlepass? I bought the watchpoint pack or whatever way back when it guaranteed beta access, no idea what the hell is going on in the game.

If you have it you'll have Kiriko unlocked and 2000 coins or whatever those are called. All of my stuff from the pack didn't show up for a couple of days.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vermain posted:

trying to convince your DPS that the map isn't a single linear line that you have to fight down no matter what challenge (impossible)

what's high ground, precious?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get mad when people miss or anything like that. I get mad when people ignore that this is a team game and don't communicate and act like it's a single player FPS where you're the main character and can solo the other team.

Like hey, I'm Ana and have no mobility. Please DPS or tank go dislodge that Soldier who is just free-firing at me from the high ground. No? You're just going to let him sit there all game and constantly kill us? Then get mad about not getting heals?

My tip is if you're not very good, please just at least stay with your team and don't go in when the team is down multiple players. And if you are a mobile hero, come back to the healers after going in, and don't just sit there complaining about not getting healed when the entire team looks your way and you stay there fighting way on the other side of where your healers are.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If you're actually bad at the game, are you supposed to play damage dealers because the rest of your team is likely worse? I've been playing support and have only won like once in the past 10ish games.

You can try Moira or Mercy since those are the easiest supports. Moira is the best if you're gonna do solo queue since you can escape from all the people who will dive you as the rest of the team ignores helping you out. Mercy you just stick with someone so they kind of have to help you, and rezzing is big in lower ranked games. Brig, Bap, and Lucio would be the next tier up. Though with Brig what you want to do is kind of bodyguard your other support. Once you get used to wallriding with Lucio and switching between heals and speed he can become another DPS and assassinate some squishies, especially if the other team has bad aim.

But honestly I feel like the biggest way to impact the team is going tank. D.Va is really good and pretty simple to use. Take care of your healers, displace enemies, run over squishies and get them low or kill them outright. I also really like Junker Queen because she can self sustain a bunch without being a big target and ult battery for the other team like Roadhog.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Mystery Heroes owns, this dumb new tank balance in other modes just leans MH even harder into being a ridiculous Overwatch slot machine.

I think the other team had two hogs and two Winstons and a healer but I can't confirm because we were constantly getting rolled by them lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the XP grind is way too much. I think like Jay3 was still in the 20s or 30s and that's playing the game every day for at least 10 hours

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was playing support and the enemy Echo did nothing but flank all game without getting punished. I'm pretty proud that I didn't get toxic and just told my Soldier that it was his job to kill the Echo and peel for healers. Eventually he started doing that and we barely held on to win.

It felt good to not get upset and just try to coach people. And they weren't toxic back so that was nice.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got silver 5 on support even though I lost way more games than I won, and bronze 2 on DPS even though I won more games than I lost. Granted I know I'm not a very good DPS and belong in the silver/gold tier at best, but it was weird since I was getting a lot of eliminations and damage. I also felt like I wasn't doing as well with heals or staying alive as a support.

This ranking stuff is weird.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's fun to give some poor DPS PTSD by repeatedly hacking them without coming out of invisibility

It's fun to do this with anyone.

It's one of my favorite things to do in mystery heroes when I get Sombra. Just pick out someone and keep hacking them but never shoot them.

It's especially funny to do to a Rein since they can't hit you so long as you're out of hammer range.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If your supports have a lot of deaths and more than anyone else that's probably not a sign that they're playing poorly (unless they're constantly frontlining or flanking) but probably more a sign that your DPS or tank aren't peeling to help them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like playing Kiriko even though I don't have the skill to be an assassin with her. Her healing is so easy to use since you don't really have to aim it, and though my aim's not great, I'm good enough to either make people that dive me back off or escape with teleport. But at my level her best asset is I can shoot at the people that are flanking or taking high ground that my teammates just completely ignore. "Hey, that Sojourn/Junk/Solder/Widow is on high ground shooting at us and nobody is looking at them! Someone do something? No, okay well at least I can poke at them and maybe land a headshot."

Also I feel like people don't ignore her ult as much as just about everyone else's. Though I also try to set it down where they pretty much have no choice but to be in it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Any recs on which support I should focus on for babbys learning time? I tried Mercy, got clapped real quick constantly, so switched to Moira to at least contribute some DPS/run down their Mercy and dip out while focusing on heals. I think my numbers typically look good, but as has been discussed, that's not telling an accurate story.

Lucio or Bap. Lucio has a really high skill ceiling but you don't need to be wallriding all the time to make a difference, especially just starting out. But you can start out basically always leaving his healing aura on and staying around your team while doing pretty good damage and booping people away from you. Then once you get more comfortable you can use more speed boosts to track down staggers or harass their DPS/backline and get back to your team safely. Plus beat is a great ultimate.

Bap is about the same, just with less maneuverability but more damage. His ult probably won't make much difference at lower ranks since nobody bothers to shoot through it, but you can get extra heals and damage. Immortality field is great for saving yourself and your team, and you can sometimes escape with his jump boots.

But really, Lucio is great at every rank and fun to play.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The concept of JQ wanting to be an all-in berserker and just healing over the incoming damage from her wounds is rad (and very FFXIV Warrior flavored) but the wound healing is so terribly undertuned that it just doesn't work. It feels like they got really timid at making the self-healing too powerful.

Yeah increase her healing from wounds or make commanding shout give permanent health to her and temporary to allies. So she's rewarded for being aggressive and can stick around in fights longer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bastion was scarier in low ranks in OW1 because even pubbies ended up being smart enough to know to put shields and tanks in front of turret Bastion while pumping him with heals and just let him go brrrrrrrrrrrr

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well I've encountered something that's come the closest to slightly tilting me: A Torbjorn in Deathmatch throwing his turret into the tree ledges in Paris and teabagging every person he killed and spamming "Bingo!".

The really annoying thing is he got 2nd.

Yeah that would tilt me too

He should be spamming "You should try my meatballs!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Countblanc posted:

this is true, but the fact that no team has attempted any other strategy despite every single match played earlier going 3-0 means either the losing teams/coaches have an incredibly inflated sense of their skill or - and in my opinion far more realistically - the "next best strat" is actually so far behind the current winning one that taking a risk is simply a complete non-option even if your chance of winning the mirror is very low.

The Outlaws became my favorite team because they had times where they didn't go with the meta and actually played Hog and they won.

But this meta sucks. Anytime Reaper is in the meta it blows because it's just another GOATS

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yesterday I decided to play some comp and 3 games ended within 2 minutes because people left or were kicked for inactivity, and another had a tank ragequit after they kept walking straight into the enemy team and feeding over and over again. So I think I had a total of 7 or 8 games and 4 of them had leavers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah his ult is good but I think he needs too much babysitting to be considered like a top tier tank. I think he's pretty balanced overall.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jabor posted:

Is "holding" an objective by standing on it (instead of standing at a defensible forwards position that controls access to the objective) how Overwatch players typically play the game? Yikes, sounds like these players need some bigger brains.

If the map design is such that the point itself is actually the only place to hold then I guess you do what you gotta do, sounds like you should blame the sucky map design though.

Lower level players definitely stand on the objective instead of getting good position. Then if you ever do happen to get on a team that plays better positioning, odds are that they'll never realize someone is backcapping or if they do, everyone will run back to the point instead of just one person.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got Moira in Mystery Heroes and decided to try out DPS Moira and it was hilarious. I at one point had three people trying to chase me down as I kept flanking them and following them to spawn and they couldn't kill me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Moira is one of those characters like Pharah, Junkrat, Symmetra, etc that are countered simply by shooting them in the face and they suddenly become incredibly strong when the opponents have no aim.

Yeah I'm only around gold/plat so I'm not facing people with great aim, and I'd never do it in comp because I feel bad not healing. But to gently caress around and just terrorize people in MH is hilarious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I had a good game with Orisa and my teammates actually said my tank was killing it. That was nice to hear!

I alternated with her and Ram. Ram is okay but I dunno how fun he is after a while. Orisa is really fun because you can bully people pretty much all the time and landing javelins is so satisfying. Spin in their faces, shoot and javelin them. Never gets old.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

yeah JQ needs armor and her shout needs to give permanent health back to her and not temporary. Temporary for allies is fine, or temporary if it goes above her HP pool.

She's really fun to play but you're at such a disadvantage using her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I have success playing Ram against Orissa. I'm terrible at Hog so it's either Ram or Orissa for me. I love JQ but I just can't make her work.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm getting better with Kiriko's aim. It's very satisfying to kill those random flankers who come after me. Especially since most tanks just have tunnel vision and ignore anything happening behind them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

LifeWeaver stinks. His heals are pathetic and he's a sitting duck. The self heal dash might as well not exist. Even Zen feels like he has better survivability. The only thing he's good for is yanking people up to high ground or to stop them from feeding.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So far from what I've seen, the best use of Wifeleaver has been to like play him aggressively as a DPS and try to get people good positioning with pull and lift. His healing just seems to be something you do last.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

this is probably how you should play every support in the game :ssh:

Most other supports let you pressure the other team while quickly and easily being able to heal your team. He plays like a less useful Bap if you go all aggro.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I don't get why people say JQ is OP now. She's good but Ana and Zen will poo poo on her. She can't shield off teammates from damage and Ana nades can wreck her and the team.

I think it encourages picking counters, which is kind of the point of the game.

Rein needs a buff though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

heard u like girls posted:

Thankfully they nerfed Ana's grenade ( lol ugh )

Just the healing though. It's still gonna gently caress up a JQ comp.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah it's like a total mindless fixation on MUST LOOK AT OBJ or STAND ON THE OBJ

meanwhile enemy team is flanking

I love doing that as Ana, hitting a nice sleep, then frantically pinging the sleeping enemy while my team ignores them completely and then they wake up and we all die

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ram is a great counter to Zarya. He can pressure her from a distance, put a shield up, and if she gets close then nemesis form to armor up, reduce damage, then punch the poo poo out of her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

What? No. Ram dies to Zarya, nothing he does can reduce her incoming damage. That beam straight up eats him.

What are you talking about? His block reduces 75% of damage. And he can put a shield up. And he gets the armor buff. And he can whittle her down from a distance before engaging.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Inept posted:

you can't endorse someone who backfilled. someone bothered to program that. why, i have no idea

Can't you? I think it depends on how long they've been in the match. I'm pretty sure I've endorsed and been endorsed when backfilling.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

healing being so powerful you can overpower 100% shot accuracy over like 5-7 seconds on a squishy target in the open is certainly unique to overwatch, but it will be its downfall

lol this doesn't happen

Please go ahead and show some videos of a DPS landing 100% of their shots for 7 seconds on a squishy who is being healed and them not dying

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Double post

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So you were actually a support who couldn't kill another support who was getting pocketed. You weren't a DPS at all. But you were Ana and you didn't use your nade to cancel out that healing?

And for your Soldier example, you're talking about someone getting pocketed by two healers and not being able to kill them. So again, that's not what you said.

Again, if you're a DPS and you're landing 100% of your shots for 7 seconds, you are going to kill a squishy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

trance and/or lucio ult, especially if the dps is a soldier ult

e: lol

lol did you really read through my post history to find a post from... 9 months ago to try and prove something? I'm a lot better than I was even though I'm old and have zero mechanical skill, and even climbed ranks! That doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

I bet you're one of those people who are like "you can't coach/commentate if you never played in the pros"

Anyway people keep coming up with moving goalposts to try and defend some insane hyperbolic statement so there's no point in continuing to talk about it.

Mystery Heroes still remains the best mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

half the success of pharahmercy is that the other team starts screaming at their hitscan for not handling pharahmercy and things spiral from there lol

Yeah and some people don't understand that on some maps you can just kind of ignore them and concentrate on killing the other three members.