Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
More like Overwatch poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I know none of you have the taste or self respect to not play this game but you better not give them a single loving dollar.

Oh poo poo, everyone better watch out now!!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wait what's this founders pack stuff, I thought you got Kiriko for free just for owning OW1

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

teagone posted:

No, they're unlocked for everyone. Kiriko is the first hero on the battle pass.

[edit]

Players who owned OW1 before OW2's launch and log into the game before the first season battle pass ends claim the founder's pack automatically and get instant access to Kiriko. Anyone who creates an OW2 account at or post-launch will have to either grind out the free BP track to unlock Kiriko or pay for her outright for instant access.

[edit2] To be more specific, you have to have owned Overwatch before June 23rd of this year and login to Overwatch 2 before December (end of season one battle pass) to claim the founders pack/insta-unlock Kiriko.

[edit3] Source

Gotcha okay. That's extremely confusing lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Honesty the #1 thing that eventually killed OW1 for me and my friends wasn't any hero changes or anything, it was the queue times. Long queues as a solo DPS are whatever, I know what I'm getting into. But when we were a group of 5-6 players and STILL getting absurdly long queue times eventually everyone just kind of fell off cause they got tired of waiting SO LONG between matches. Those queue times paired with the game throwing you back out to menu after every game instead of putting us on the other side to face the same team again like it used to just completely wrecked any momentum we had to keep going.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

I am 8,000th in queue on Xbox, so,

8,000! Why don't you brag about it

:buddy:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

How do I get/unlock the founder's pack? Nothing popped up when I log in and Kiriko is still locked for me.

edit: Nevermind, the locked icon was just saying I couldn't play in ranked with her

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 4, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lister posted:

The official youtube channel put out a video with the most broadly generic, inspirational narration I've ever heard. It honestly sounds like a parody. I have no idea what the gently caress anything in this video is referring to and how it's supposed to relate to this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHiRgT9skFU

This video is so much more eye rolling than you even say. I was expecting some extremely cheesy story related trailer. This is not that :lol:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lol I got in after getting disconnected, accidentally clicked the wrong, queue, canceled out to go to the right one, and it disconnected me again :thumbsup: How is server day always so bad, Blizzard. You've been doing this so long

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They're clearly talking about Junker Queen, and if being horny for cartoons is wrong then I don't wanna be right

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It is bad though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aardvark Barber posted:

mine is just constant "0 players ahead of you" but it never moves ahead or changes

Just like life

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

All of my characters had all their skins and everything, but a vast majority of my skin/emote/whatever preferences were different. Some defaulted to the OW1 skin, some my emotes were different than what I had set, some voice lines were missing from my wheel, etc. That part was strange.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DPS is easy. You just shoot grenades with reckless abandon into the red team and people just die. I don't know what everyone else's problem is

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They should've kept the stun on Junkrat's trap if it's a Tracer imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

adhuin posted:

They reverted that nerf. Junkrats trap roots you to place again.

Ooooh baby. I did not play long enough the other day to realize this. Junkrat continues to be the best

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

This is probably not a popular opinion, but I kind of feel like that if tanks need to be raid bosses for role queue, they should probably be limited to one in other modes too. Open queue and a bunch of the non-No Limits arcade modes. I was in a Total Mayhem the other day that was locked in perpetual overtime for ten or more minutes. Both sides had two tanks and two healers locked on the point. I don't know if it actually ended, I got bored and left.

Total Mayhem is always like that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

Anecdotally not to that extent though. I like the mode and it can lock for sure, but that's by far the worst I've ever seen. No one was dying, nothing was happening, it was just dumb.

I can say OW1 had plenty of Total Mayhem matches I was in where no one was dying, or at least the tanks and healers weren't, and overtime frequently went 10+ minutes. Hollywood would always be the longest I've found

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What the gently caress is diff

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

If you have a team of all girls, with Junker Queen being one of them, she'll go "Alright ladies, let's teach these boys a lesson". That's pretty good. Also apparently if Reinhardt is on a team with all characters that don't use guns, he'll mention how maybe at least one of them should have a gun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Temple of Anubis removal alone does actually make OW2 better than OW1, gently caress that stage for real

I'm not sad to see the capture point maps go, but I would like it if they took those maps and retooled them into different modes because they are still pretty maps, especially Hanamura

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I decided to see Fortnite's battle pass compared to OW2. And yes I know its' a bit unfair comparing the first time Blizzard has done a battle pass to Fortnite who have had years to perfect theirs but... I don't care:

21 items I would consider bad items, things like sprays, animated gif emotes (they hold up their hand and a little gif plays) and player icons. You can argue these are or aren't actually bad I'm just using them in comparison to sprays and such OW. Filler.
10 loading screens, 1 per page.
9 skins, all 9 of them unique (though one is a two in one where it has an emote that you can transform back and forth in game)
8 skin variations (mostly alternate colors, some of them are alternate looks like a helmet or different hair)
30 accessories: things like back blings, pickaxes, gliders, weapon skins, and contrails. Aside from the contrails, there's a full set of a back bling, pickaxe, weapon skin and glider for each of the 9 skins (the one exception is Gwen Stacy in this one, who doesn't come with a gun skin. However last season Darth Vader came with his own weapon skin, so that can vary)
3 menu songs
5 emotes (6 if you want to count the one that's built into the one skin that can transform into the other one)
And finally the last thing is the V-bucks, of which you earn enough from the battle pass to buy the next battle pass, if you are the kind of person who can restrain yourself and not buy like Kratos or Ariana Grande when they come onto the store (I am not that person)

Going through OW2 battle pass, let's see what they have. I'll be generous and not include weapon charms and souvenirs in the "bad items" pile since they're fully modeled things, even though I think they're bullshit and they were only created in OW2 to have more extra poo poo to fill out the battle pass.

A new hero, Kiriko (this can't really be compared to anything in Fortnite since they don't do unique heroes, only skins).
35 bad items. These are things like sprays, player icons, and name cards (again you can argue these aren't are or aren't actually bad. They're filler)
4 emotes
8 victory poses
13 voice lines
4 highlight intros
10 charms and souvenirs (5 weapon charms, and 5 souvenirs). The souvenirs thing is nothing and might as well be the animated gif emotes I mentioned in the Fortnite battle pass. At they very least make all of these weapon charms. Frankly they belong in the bad items section bringing that up to 41 but like I said I'll be generous sine they're 3D modeled things)
9 skins. Of those 3 of them are epic quality and are basically recolors of the base skin.

Like to me, the Overwatch one is just extremely weak, especially when several emotes/victory poses are repurposed from old stuff (like Junkrat's sipping emote) and I think this game's version of filler is much more egregious than Fortnite's.

On top of that, this doesn't take into account several other things Fortnite has:

First off, there's a second "bonus" battle pass. This is basically for if you play enough to get to 200. This one is a little different in that it doesn't have sprays, gif emotes, or player icons. There's another emote, weapon skin and contrail. There's 21 skin variations in this. The last 3 pages are like special super bonus styles that are like gold and shiny and have animated effects on them, etc. Basically a reward for grinding to that point. But the other pages have skins that are also really nice and worth getting, in this specific case the skin of Gwen without her mask off (it's based on Spiderverse BTW so it looks right out of the animated movie). This doesn't cost extra, it's just a bonus set of skins and stuff you want to grind that much.

Second while it's not directly attached to the battle pass, each season there is a two page mini pass that has a unique skin (complete with back bling, pickaxe, player icon, spray, glider, two skin variations, and a loading screen. Maybe an emote too?). This doesn't unlock for several weeks into the season, but it's basically a bunch of challenges that you complete to unlock each of the things in this little mini pass. This is free, you do not have to even own the normal battle pass to access this. This season it's The Herald, which appears to be the in game story villain for this season, but last season it was Indiana Jones. It came with a normal version of his skin and a version where his shirt is ripped open. You do the quests associated with each thing in this mini pass and you'll unlock the thing. Most of the stuff is thematically tied to the skin as well.

Finally I can't comment on how fast OW2 rewards you with XP (I've heard it's not super great), but I can say that Fortnite throws XP at you for doing literally loving anything. Every single thing you do in a match gives you XP, there's quests upon quests ranging from the weeklies that want you to do very specific things, to milestones like "thank the bus driver 20 times". There's constantly events and weeklies and dailies and holiday quests and if you play on any kind of regular basis, the game just throws XP at you go get the battle pass fully leveled up. Hell you can even play the single player Save The World mode and it has a daily battle pass XP cap you can hit that rewards almost 10 levels per day if you want to go that route as well. Also related to the quest skins, there's even quests to unlock even more variations within skins, so far it seems to be at least one per battle pass. Last season it was a toy skin that had interchangeable parts and you collected them by finding tokens and doing weeklies. This season it's a pickaxe that one specific battle pass skin can use that gives you different variations on how the pickaxe can look.

And yeah it's a little unfair to compare Blizzard's pass to Fortnite's, but it's not like Blizz has really earned any good will here and there's a lot about the OW2 one that is just so weak.

I'm sorry I typed so much about Fortnite.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

People are adults

Let's not be too hasty here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Genji skin sucks because it's a Genji skin. Update me when they do a mythic Junkrat skin

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SadisTech posted:

Yeah people *hate* an even moderately competent Widow, to the extent that they will come and sit on your face and throw the match while your team stand on the objective in extreme cases. Hey at least you're serving a purpose!

I played a game recently where I refused to let Widow do loving anything from the very second the doors opened. I was Junkrat too so she coulda just like... shot me. But I kept jumping up to her and doing the grenade/mine combo and deleting her. I did nothing else the whole match. She couldn't play the game. I hope that player had a terrible time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Notably if you don't like a game you can stop playing it. I stopped playing overwatch for years!

If it sucks hit da bricks!

Overwatch is bad but Junkrat is good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Those colors are awesome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

"look dear, it's your favorite character, Luci"

Look cereal based off my favorite cookie, Ore

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I play Wrecking Ball and people leave before the match starts. One guy said "either get off ball or you better start doing better"

Another person on the other team told my team that I'm throwing. :smith: He's not very easy to play. I love knocking everyone all over hell and back, and smashing back line players into the ground. People get so distracted trying to kill me, my team has free reign. Although, my team usually isn't very good at cleaning up.

In total mayhem it's like playing Batman because his grapple refreshes every like, 2 seconds or so.

Nothing would make me spitefully never change my character, even if I'm being hard countered, more than someone starting the match telling me to switch off of said character.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Imagine seeing that excellent Junkrat clip and going UHH BUHH WAY TO THROW instead of nodding sagely

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Megazver posted:

A day or two ago, I saw a pretty funny gif of a Rein pushing a different Rein off the edge of the map in Gibraltar, then the other Rein somehow managing to charge out of the abyss and back into the fray. Was it here? Couldn't find it.

This was my favorite thing to do in Hanamura first choke point. It wasn't always a Rein but it was always better if it was specifically another Rein

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They should actually implement the Junkrat thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay that's pretty funny. I figured they just automatically detect the eyes and it places the googly eyes on top. Does it do the same with Ana?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I like the pink lotus stuff in his design but also he just kind of looks like a guy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

teagone posted:

Lol, very boring design. Looks like a Valorant character.

It 100% looks like a Valorant character! I couldn't quite place why the design didn't really feel right for Overwatch, but you nailed it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

it's just going to result in lost kills or slur spam.

So nothing different

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Sorry guys but now I kind of love him. I kind of love flower boy.

His kit looks fun, and I do like the tone they are going for with him, I just wish his design was a little more interesting. I like the big pink flower on his back but he still just looks like some dude.

Still I suppose he's overall more interesting than Sojourn, the most boring design in the whole cast (they should've used her red/blue jacket skin or the like rambo skin instead as her default look)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

in the ow2 beta i recall that i was playing ana.

i hit an enemy zen like literally 8-10 times in a row without missing a single shot and i had to hit every single shot to kill him b/c a mercy was healing him

there's just something seriously wrong w/ how the game works lol

Isn't Ana's whole thing that she can throw an object that makes it so nothin can heal you for a few seconds and also has a sleep dart

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:lol: No way. SURELY someone should've stepped in and been like "um... folks are already pretty mad at us for a lot of things. Perhaps we can spend a little more time making sure this doesn't happen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I like her design a lot :shobon: