Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdX2FhxsHIY
First episode aired tonight, second episode up on AMC+, series already renewed for a second season. It is the first entry to what they're calling Anne Rice's "Immortal Universe" with an adaptation of Lives of the Mayfair Witches premiering on AMC next year. Interview is a new adaptation of the 1976 novel with many changes to the characters and story. Most notably is moving the timeline up from the late 18th century to the early 20th and changing Louis from a white plantation owner to the scion of a formerly wealthy black family. The series also kind of puts itself as a kind of second take on the original novel saying that there was an interview between Louis and Molloy in the 70s but it was never published.

Cast:
Louis de Point du Lac - Jacob Anderson
Lestat de Lioncourt - Sam Reid
Daniel Molloy - Eric Bogosian
Bailey Bass - Claudia

After watching the first two episodes I definitely like it. Jacob Anderson does a good job of making Louis an actual character, which is more than you can say for the original novel and Sam Reid's ability to switch between charming and just casual cruelty fits perfectly into the mold of Lestat.

Edit: Mayfair Witches
Based on the Lives of the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice, Mayfair Witches stars Alexandria Daddario as Dr Rowan Fielding, a neurosurgeon who discovers that she is a part of the rich and powerful Mayfair family of witches. The books eventually crossed over with the Vampire Chronicles series while the first season of Interview name dropped the family in one episode.

Cast:
Alexandra Daddario - Dr. Rowan Fielding
Tongayi Chirisa - Ciprien Grieve, a new character created by AMC, who is a combination of two book characters
Jack Huston - Lasher
Harry Hamlin - Cortland Mayfair
Annabeth Gish as Deirdre Mayfair
Beth Grant as Carlotta Mayfair
Erica Gimpel as Elena Fielding
Jen Richards as Jojo

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There's some really good performances in this goofy show about dorky vampires.

The way the reporter asked "did you eat the baby?" gave me a chuckle.

I was impressed with the way they shot (Ep.1) the scene with the younger priest running away from Lestat. I don't think I saw it framed that way before.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
10 minutes in and already pleasantly surprised how much I'm digging Jacob's take on Louis, plus I like this revised/alternate take of Daniel having a full career but never having published the original interview.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm here for Eric Bogosian but I've found Jacob Andrews is pretty good too. Never read the books and it's been years since I've seen the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder how they're going to move forward once they get through the first book's story. Because in the book series Lestat very much took over the narrative, the first sequel was his backstory as well as his rebuttal to Louis' side of the story he gave and then subsequent books usually focused around him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's interesting at how changing Louis into an African American changes so much of the subtext and such of so much of this story.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

incredible loving pilot, at a post-Saul time when they were this close to losing my AMC+ subscription.

for those racking their brains to figure out the Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul connection after seeing the Gran Via Productions logo: it's executive producer Mark Johnson

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Got some potential cast photos for the OP;

Daniel "Did you eat the baby?" Malloy

Louis the Bored du Lac

Lestat de Incongruent

No appearance by Claudia yet.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I like this. It's pulpy and trashy, looks great and is played well. I'm actually kinda shocked at how good it is.

Also impressed by how closely Jacob channels Pitt's portrayal at times.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I liked that they made Daniel into a quasi-Anthony Bourdain-esque world weary former addict interviewer. Not sure where they'll go with the show, as my memory of later books was that Louis became less of a major player. I think I read up through Memnoch the Devil, man it's been like 25 years... In that regard, it's interesting that they went with the title of the first book for the show, even though it makes less sense going forward. Maybe they'll keep up the interview conceit as all the additional vampires are introduced.

Also interested to see what/when any probable crossover with the upcoming Mayfair Witches occurs.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Teek posted:

I liked that they made Daniel into a quasi-Anthony Bourdain-esque world weary former addict interviewer. Not sure where they'll go with the show, as my memory of later books was that Louis became less of a major player. I think I read up through Memnoch the Devil, man it's been like 25 years... In that regard, it's interesting that they went with the title of the first book for the show, even though it makes less sense going forward. Maybe they'll keep up the interview conceit as all the additional vampires are introduced.

Also interested to see what/when any probable crossover with the upcoming Mayfair Witches occurs.

Haven't read the books, so I'm going to suggest they should just make it be interviews all the way down. When they are done with this storyline, pan out and it's suddenly a different character being interviewed about that other interview that was just completed. Repeat as needed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Mayfair witches got name dropped in the first episode but seeing as the show is currently in development they probably won't do anything specific.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

First two episodes seemed interesting. I've only seen the movie maybe 20 years ago and don't really remember anything specific, so I suppose I'm going in blind. I hope they remain somewhat consistent with the vampire magical powers at least, though I guess our protagonist (?) vampire could be an unreliable narrator. The reporter character is great, too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

itry posted:

Haven't read the books, so I'm going to suggest they should just make it be interviews all the way down. When they are done with this storyline, pan out and it's suddenly a different character being interviewed about that other interview that was just completed. Repeat as needed.

Book 2 is basically Lestat writing a book to set the record straight after Louis' slanderous and unflattering portrayal of him, so they could frame it in a similar way I guess. Book 3 is straight up crazytown poo poo though, darting between a huge cast of characters past and present.

Have to imagine they'll beef up Louis' role for the show though, he's a very minor presence after his interview.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sentinel Red posted:

Book 2 is basically Lestat writing a book to set the record straight after Louis' slanderous and unflattering portrayal of him, so they could frame it in a similar way I guess. Book 3 is straight up crazytown poo poo though, darting between a huge cast of characters past and present.

Have to imagine they'll beef up Louis' role for the show though, he's a very minor presence after his interview.

Change it to an argument over the letters to the editor section. Just Lestat and Louis arguing like a couple of boomers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

itry posted:

Change it to an argument over the letters to the editor section. Just Lestat and Louis arguing like a couple of boomers.

This but a subreddit for fans of the interview. Put it out ARG-style. Lestat can become a vtuber to keep his identity safe.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

XboxPants posted:

This but a subreddit for fans of the interview. Put it out ARG-style. Lestat can become a vtuber to keep his identity safe.

:sickos:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The Mayfair witches got name dropped in the first episode but seeing as the show is currently in development they probably won't do anything specific.

I swear I saw some cast photos for it the other day.

Fake Edit: yeah, here:

https://deadline.com/2022/09/amc-first-images-bob-odenkirk-straight-man-orphan-black-echoes-anne-rice-mayfair-witches-1235129023/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Enjoying this so far.

I seem to recall vaguely knowing where the books go but I have forgotten. So it'll be a wild ride.

Edit: I guess my take is it is balanced finely between silly and Ernest in a way that seems enjoyable.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 6, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of Mayfair Witches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uwIto8dn4U

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harry Hamlin looking kind of like Dr Oz.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i have a vague memory of Lestat being basically Axl Rose for most of the second book

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I read the books, don't remember them at all.

But I'm really enjoying this show so far!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It must be very tiring playing a character like Lestat. He's so all over the place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been watching through AMC+, does the cable version have the nudity in it?

ep3 spoilers interesting to see Louis had a gay experience before Lestat. Also neat to see the show addressing how this might not actually be completely accurate seeing as it all happened over 100 years ago.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ep3 spoilers interesting to see Louis had a gay experience before Lestat. Also neat to see the show addressing how this might not actually be completely accurate seeing as it all happened over 100 years ago.

ep3 In episode one, after the shot of the zero-gee sex, Louis says "It bears repeating that I did not consider myself a homosexual man at the time", which I took to mean that he had had gay experiences but it wasn't an identity for him. Of course it can be read in other ways too!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So are the chuds attacking this for being “woke” and “identity politics” and “luciferian” and whatnot?

Seems like a prime candidate for it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Prime candidate for "one thousand moms" or w/e their name is.

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022
Weird. I have AMC+ but episode 3 isn't up for me yet

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was definitely up last night. I have it through an Amazon Prime channel.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The actors in this show are so charming. Lestat's strained repetition of "Of course!" made me laugh.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It was definitely up last night. I have it through an Amazon Prime channel.

I do as well and it popped up for me yesterday morning or so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

from another thread

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finally watching the first episode of this. It's good, Jacob Anderson is really good. But lmao then trying to hide that he can NOT tap dance. The actor playing his brother is a pretty good tap though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Me watching the latest episode:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Episode 4 is kind of tonally all over the place although it is interesting to get a new narrator for this section. It is kind of funny how just practicality means that Claudia keeps getting aged up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just finished episode 3. Initial thoughts on an aged up Claudia feels like a huge miss. One of the most interesting parts of her character was her age, being forever stuck in a child’s body. Now it just seems like she’s the age of any teenager turned vampire from a CW show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teek posted:

Just finished episode 3. Initial thoughts on an aged up Claudia feels like a huge miss. One of the most interesting parts of her character was her age, being forever stuck in a child’s body. Now it just seems like she’s the age of any teenager turned vampire from a CW show.

There are problems here, with actors aging and with child labour laws, that force this kind of compromise on most shows.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I think they could have gone with a younger actress if they were doing the book as one season but they're clearly splitting it into a least 2 with European section (which is now going to cover the lead into WWII, interesting) held off to the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Episode 4 is kind of tonally all over the place

Anne Frank meets Stephen King got a laugh out of me, but I felt bad about it