Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I think they could have gone with a younger actress if they were doing the book as one season but they're clearly splitting it into a least 2 with European section (which is now going to cover the lead into WWII, interesting) held off to the second season.

Ah, that would somewhat explain it then. Still feels like a huge loss for this aspect of the story sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Teek posted:

Ah, that would somewhat explain it then. Still feels like a huge loss for this aspect of the story sadly.

It really killed the scene where she claimed to be 19 and Charlie was all "there's no way you're 19! you're so much younger than that!!!!" and the actress is actually literally just 19 and obviously looks it. She's doing a good job playing precocious/wild-eyed violence, but Kirsten Dunst was 12 when she played claudia. Child actors are a minefield, but maybe they could have found someone who was like, ~16 or so at least.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 17, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think she passes for 14, using the right makeup/wardrobe/lighting, which is what the character was supposed to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going by episode 5 and the trailer for 6 I'm wondering if (book spoiler) Louis "killing" Lestat will be the season finale. One thing I'm liking is that the vampire stuff is purely supernatural and they aren't trying to do the thing where they explain powers with science.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That would suggest that in the ~50 years since the first interview he didn't learn anything new about him, depending on how they frame it, which would be kinda odd.

Anyway, poo poo definitely hit the fan in this episode.

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I'm liking is that the vampire stuff is purely supernatural and they aren't trying to do the thing where they explain powers with science.

How would you begin to explain flight with science? Magnets? It's probably magnets, isn't it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The show clearly states that Claudia was 14 when she was turned, and yeah she looks older than that, but I don't think it's a big deal since she plays it right. Her accent is a bit over the top but she's been fun so far.

I like that the show actually plays it somewhat slow and builds Lestat and Louis' relationship, though I wish they would have more scenes where Louis isn't just pissed off at lestat all the time - they're mostly relegated to a background setting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

itry posted:

How would you begin to explain flight with science? Magnets? It's probably magnets, isn't it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9hatLT-vl4&t=246s

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hakkesshu posted:

I like that the show actually plays it somewhat slow and builds Lestat and Louis' relationship, though I wish they would have more scenes where Louis isn't just pissed off at lestat all the time - they're mostly relegated to a background setting.

They've had some of that in the first three episodes. It's just these last two that are mostly filled with resentment.

Ah, the ol' superconductor electromagnetism :hmmyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair they've been a couple going on 20 years at this point. The shine is definitely off that relationship.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What a twist?

Edit: Interview with the Vampire: Tickets please!

itry fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 30, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Huh.

Poor mister interviewer, I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seven episode season is definitely an odd number of episodes. Also yeah, that ending makes me wonder what kind of game Louis is playing if they're pulling this weird con about Rashid faking being human.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up on this, the Claudia intro episode (the fourth) was very very good. Great performance from Bailey Bass, really silly and fun, high energy, but curdling as it went on. Really good control of tone.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought last Sunday’s episode was great. Surprised more people aren’t watching/posting about the show here.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think Daniel had it right. Louis is still the pimp paying professionals to listen to his tales.

MrMojok posted:

I thought last Sunday’s episode was great. Surprised more people aren’t watching/posting about the show here.

It's well made, well shot, with some extremely good performances. But it's still about goofy vampires being melodramatic. Also I think book fans are largely snubbing the show.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, I guessed the finale 'twist' wrong, but this works too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

itry posted:

Also I think book fans are largely snubbing the show.

Yeah, I think you are right about that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's pretty good, though I think the vagueness of the vampire abilities is a bit strange. Not anything new to vampire fiction of course, but Lestat being able to stop time is just kind of bizarre. At first I thought it was like a visual metaphor for him doing mass hypnosis or something but no it does just kind of seem like he can stop time. I don't know if that's a book thing or what.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This show is really good. Its very well made, funny, well acted, and the story is pretty good. I've never read any of the books all I've done is watch the original movie.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Never seen the original movie or read the book but after watching just the first ep I'm enjoying it as well! Might be a bit biased but I like how unashamedly gay it is. :gay: also all the stuff the above poster said.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

itry posted:

I think Daniel had it right. Louis is still the pimp paying professionals to listen to his tales.

It's well made, well shot, with some extremely good performances. But it's still about goofy vampires being melodramatic. Also I think book fans are largely snubbing the show.
There's a pretty big contingent of those fans who are just mad that the show is black and gay and are using being fans of the books as plausible deniability to mask that.

Thankfully, every fan of the books I know absolutely adores this show because the emotional thrust is dead on and in some cases even more powerful than the source material.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kinda funny how the finale didn't even bother to pretend that Lestat was really dead.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I like the first 5 or 6 books and the movie and I love series because it hits at the emotional heart and beats I love the most.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There is a continegent of fans that are very RW due to it being a "safe" escape for them in reading that have an issue with the black and overtly gay parts of the show.

I'm happy with the first season. As I said from the start, making Louis a black dude in New Orleans added soooo much to the story, and otherwise, it was well done throughout. Good job of sticking with the book enough while having slight twists where necessary. As many have said, I'm not going to be happy with the inevitable death, given how likeable they made this character as co pared to the books and movie.

Darko fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 7, 2022

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Louie using the writer as a way to unload 100+ years of PTSD and getting called out on his bullshit makes this show better than the books.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode 5

Really good, though that final cut to music isn't the choice I'd have made.

Struck by how much I actually like Claudia, despite her being, you know, a serial killer. Generally a lot of the stuff here isn't material that appeals to me at all, on paper, but this adaptation has done a fairly good job of evoking material in a way that feels solid and not like the reheated microwave leftovers most attempts at this stuff feels like. And they're just doing it straightforwardly, no real attempt to avoid the corn with irony or reinvention, but still not actually corny.

A lot of the dynamics here have made me realise how heavily Bryan Fuller's Hannibal seems to have been inspired by Anne Rice. (I'm assuming, based on this show and a quick peruse of the novel's Wikipedia page.)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the Big Twist at the end was going to be that Lestat could hear Claudia and Louie when they talked telepathically and was just playing dumb so he could hear them gossip about him when they thought he couldn't hear

was Rashid or a Rashid like person in the original books? I think I read 2 or 3 back in high school . I think the last Interview With A Vampire thing I watch was the Aaliyah movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I thought the Big Twist at the end was going to be that Lestat could hear Claudia and Louie when they talked telepathically and was just playing dumb so he could hear them gossip about him when they thought he couldn't hear

was Rashid or a Rashid like person in the original books? I think I read 2 or 3 back in high school . I think the last Interview With A Vampire thing I watch was the Aaliyah movie

I'm assuming you've watched the season finale. Rashid/Armand is a book character who is important to the second half of the novel. In the 90s movie he was played by Antonio Banderas.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming you've watched the season finale. Rashid/Armand is a book character who is important to the second half of the novel. In the 90s movie he was played by Antonio Banderas.

It has been so long since I read any Anne Rice I have completely forgotten the names of everyone but Lestat, Louie and Charlotte. I remember them now.

I had no idea Anne Rice wote so many Vampire books. They are probably waiting to see if this takes off before they do any of the "Immoral Universe " or whatever the title card in the previews is.
The vamires are pretty explicitly christian, right? I vaguely remember the actual Devil shows up at one point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, they've already got a Mayfair Witches show coming in January.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jeez, these books really go off the rails after a point

quote:

"In my dreams, I saw a city fall into the sea. I heard the cries of thousands", writes Rice, as Lestat de Lioncourt sees visions of a ruined city in his sleep. He and Amel, a spirit Lestat bonded with in the events of the preceding novel, search for the meaning behind the visions of Atlantis, and what it means to the vampires of the world.

The novel presents a lengthy procession of Blood Drinkers from previous adventures as they form a united front against a possible adversary in the form of replimoid beings created many millennia ago for one specific purpose: the destruction of Atlantis and its all-powerful ruler – Amel.

quote:

A Replimoid is an extraterrestrial being indigenous to the planet Bravenna. Created by a group of birdlike creatures known as the Parents, the Replimoids are human in appearance; the only exception being their immortality. They cannot truly die as their souls travel beyond death.

They reproduce through branching. That is, when a limb of their body is severed the removed the limb grows into a clone of the original being.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anne Rice seemed like a very kooky person. She quit writing vampire novels, twice, and went back to writing them, twice. At some point it feels like she fired her editor. She also seemed to flit back and forth between calling herself a Christian and calling herself a secular humanist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder if season 2 is going to be both an adaptation of the second half of Interview interspersed with an adaptation of The Vampire Lestat in order to keep Sam Reid around. They've already kind of touched on the fact that Lestat is way too strong for his age so I assume they're keeping his backstory.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

i liked eps 1 + 2 a lot and i'm going to watch the rest

the only thing is sometimes bogosian is a bit 'these fuckin vampires, am i right, audience? 2022 reference'

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hakkesshu posted:

Jeez, these books really go off the rails after a point

quote:

A Replimoid is an extraterrestrial being indigenous to the planet Bravenna. Created by a group of birdlike creatures known as the Parents, the Replimoids are human in appearance; the only exception being their immortality. They cannot truly die as their souls travel beyond death.

They reproduce through branching. That is, when a limb of their body is severed the removed the limb grows into a clone of the original being.

The Vampire Chronicles and Metroid take place in the same universe?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

just watched ep 5. this show is pretty excellent.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

went ahead and just watched the rest. very good season.

thoughts at the end:

it actually made me sad watching the three of them implode, i liked the very brief hosed up family portion that they had, but they really go hard in making lestat an abusive monster which sort of writes over how fun and charming he was earlier in the season. i understand that's part of the point of the story, relating it to how real people can be like that upfront and over time come to turn bad, and i don't think it was bad, it just made me sad. i actually liked all three of them a lot but by the end of the season i'm not sure if i like any of them, which is interesting, but season 2 is going to have to re-earn my investment a bit.

i'm not really sold on the actor for armand, unfortunately. in fact, the actual interview scenes, with molloy and rashid/armand, were by far the weakest part of the show to me. i thought louis in this time period came off as affected and false - part of the point again, maybe - but combining that with the similarly affected rashid, and molloy's unrelenting sardonic hostility, these scenes i was usually just waiting for to be over so i could get to the real show. molloy seemed to be throwing anvils with every line of dialogue, directly relating this supernatural vampire story of the past to contemporary understandings of psychology and culture in a way that i found corny and patronising sometimes. i didn't hate him, but y'know, the rest of the show was just so good it stuck out.

no complaints about claudia at all, i see some people think he accent is OTT. i don't know new orleans accents very well so i couldn't tell, but it never felt awkward to me and her performance and character was far too much fun for me to care.

regardless of all that, i was pretty much capitivated the entire time through all seven episodes. they don't waste time and manage not to rush things at once, which is something not a lot of shows can manage. i don't have any idea what happens in the books so i don't even know if claudia is dead - louis refers to her in the past tense, but then, maybe he's lying, doesn't know she's alive, or something. i assume lestat is still out there somewhere. don't tell me, i like not knowing for now. although i dunno if that'll hold up for a year until the next season.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 11, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I go to New Orleans at least twice a year and nothing about the accent sounded off to me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Season finale was great. This season rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It really was wonderful.