Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good finale. Really wondering how they're going to handle the second half of the book now, surely they won't keep Lestat offscreen for so long.

Also perked up at "Those who must be kept", a phrase I hadn't heard or thought of in 25 years since I originally read the series, but somehow immediately caught my attention when uttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They're probably going to merge it with the rest of the series, so I imagine we'll get some of The Vampire Lestat. Maybe the interviewer finds his journals like with Claudia.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

They're probably going to merge it with the rest of the series, so I imagine we'll get some of The Vampire Lestat. Maybe the interviewer finds his journals like with Claudia.

Yeah, they're probably going to roll the Lestat backstory stuff into season 2 to keep Sam Reid around. Probably not the Lestat as a rock star though.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

how about they interview some better writers..? show bad.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dongicus posted:

:wrong:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dongicus posted:

whurt

Oh wait, it's this annoying gimmick thing again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, they're probably going to roll the Lestat backstory stuff into season 2 to keep Sam Reid around. Probably not the Lestat as a rock star though.

With how well they've done thus far, I imagine they'd actually kick rear end if they tried that.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I enjoyed almost all of the first season but I think everything about (episode 5) the scene with Claudia and Bruce was unnecessary and lazy writing and that something like that made it into the show (complete with the producer giving the exact sort of spiel you'd expect about that sort of scene in the insider bits) leaves me more than a little concerned about what other original content they might add in future seasons.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Could you refresh my memory? I don't recall what you're talking about.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

LividLiquid posted:

Could you refresh my memory? I don't recall what you're talking about.

Bruce is the vampire that finds her at the college and rapes her. This is not in the book (Claudia is 5 in the book)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Armor-Piercing posted:

(complete with the producer giving the exact sort of spiel you'd expect about that sort of scene in the insider bits) leaves me more than a little concerned about what other original content they might add in future seasons.

This is why I don't watch any of these insider bits at all anymore. They diminish the shows, every time. I don't know if it's because of how and when they are recorded, or what, but there's just no upside to them existing and every opportunity for it to either make you dislike the writer themselves or think less of the show because of an observation they made about it.

As far as the Bruce stuff in episode 5, I didn't know it wasn't in the book. I was assuming it wasn't playing that close to things considering how Louis seems to be an entirely different character from what I know. So, I thought it played in to at least demonstrate that while Lestat might be a bastard, there are much worse vampires out there and going to seek them out when you have vampires like Louis and Claudia who are still so human is probably a very bad idea. That works for me.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I stopped watching the insider bits after the first one for the same reason, but it was mentioned in some of the discussion about that particular episode so I went back to see what was said: "It's a horrible thing that happens to Claudia, but it has toughened her up and she ultimately comes back home".

I think the message that the world is a dangerous place is going to be delivered clearly enough as the series continues, and there are other ways to have scared Claudia into coming home that aren't introducing an original character and sexual violence as a cheap plot device. Broadly I think they handled making Claudia older well enough but to me it's a bad sign (and a disclaimer when recommending the show) that they decided that was the best way to develop her character.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Europe in 1939 probably wasn't going to be a great place for a black 14 year old girl. Uncle Les kind of did her a solid on that one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I didn't find the scene objectionable. It works to push Claudia to return home, but also informs her distance from Louis and helps motivate her aggression towards Lestat. It also helps inform the audience as to the nature of the characters in the setting, vampire politics, etc. and works within the tonal gradient that the season's trying to establish.

tbh it's arguably not even the first rape in the show. The scene is just making explicit what's been happening implicitly up until that point -- arguably the entire show is about sexual assault.

I totally get why the scene might be uncomfortable or triggering, but I felt like the scene had a point. Vampires, particularly sexy vampires, are fantasy monsters that constantly broach issues of consent. Rendering that textual isn't a problem for me, it's just taking the narrative to its logical conclusion.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 23, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's about abusive relationships way more than it's about sexual assault. And while I appreciated the show's restraint in not showing it, knowing how the writer felt about it makes me feel gross about it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah the show spends time on a lot of very real and heavy issues about abusive relationships and the producer/writer being so glib is extremely bothersome.

Show's writing is really excellent so it's loving weird that he's like that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I forgot this thread existed until just now and, reading through it, a couple of people said some fans of the book don't like how gay the show is? Am I completely misremembering the books? Because I thought they were pretty gay?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's probably not the gay overtones. More likely it's your ordinary fan pedantry mixed with the ol' racism.

Edit: I'm assuming, from things I've read online. I haven't read the books.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

I forgot this thread existed until just now and, reading through it, a couple of people said some fans of the book don't like how gay the show is? Am I completely misremembering the books? Because I thought they were pretty gay?

I think they were very gay coded in the books but they were never explicitly gay. Just 2 gorgeous men who love clothes, have long lives and traveled all over Europe, but they totally weren't gay.

I think there were a few people who read the books but the gay parts flew over their head or they just thought it was part of the Gay Agenda to say all guys in movies are gay so when the show says they're gay now it sets something off deep in their boomer brains and they just start screaming WOKE WOKE WOKE NO BLACK MERMAIDS AND NO GAY VAMPIRES

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I haven't read it but apparently Lestat refers to Louis as his lover in one of the later books

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The later books were much more forward about the majority of the characters being gay.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Lestat is pretty bi, I think on balance like half his romantic interests are women, but a lot of the rest are just down for dudes. Pretending they aren't super queer works is....yeah. I don't know what they were reading.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Books and the movie were plausibly deniably homoromantic but new show is very explicitly gay

It's hard to separate the people who are genuinely upset about the changes being made to the show from the books, and those who are using that as a basis to complain about gay black vampires.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Plausible deniability has been the order of the day when criticizing queer themes and characters for ages now and I loving hate it.

I wish they wouldn't twist themselves in knots laundering their bigotry and just came out and said it, but I don't, really. It just feels that way sometimes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Paperhouse posted:

I haven't read it but apparently Lestat refers to Louis as his lover in one of the later books

In the 90's movie Claudia makes a quick mention of them making love or something. It was one throw away line during a scene where they are fighting, I believe.

And yes, the books were hella gay coded, well the first ones, they danced around the subject a lot but it was later when things got a bit more on your face. Book spoilers ahead!!!!!: Stuff like Lestat being blatantly gay for Nicolas, they kissed and poo poo, and you get to clearly see they are in love (Nicolas is the violinist that Lestat mentions in the first episode). Blood and Wine is loving disturbing because Armand is a loving teenager/child in the books and Marius is just grooming him, and...sexual-ish things happen...and yeah, please skip that book if you are curious about Vampire Chronicles. There's a whole part that is up there in cringe with Lestat drinking period blood straight out from a vagina.

Anyway, hello thread I was a loving freak for the books when I was a teenager/young adult. So much re-reading. And I finally decided to sit down and what the show. It is so loving amazing.
Best toxic Lestat. Louis is *chef kiss.* And on difference to other fans I am so happy that they finally made them shamelessly fully gay. Hell yeah!
Also, making them cry blood, and their porcelain like nails! Thanks! And thanks for not mentioning them -book spoiler-ish- walking around with eternal boners or something like what was described in the books. They also removed the part about them pooping themselves during their transformation. Anne was...too descriptive of that :lol:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Oh my stars and stripes, this was EXCELLENT! I'd only read the first book in high school and saw the Brad Pitt/Tom Cruise movie completely and bits of the Aaliyah movie in syndication, so I had an idea what I was getting into, but they made it so much better! By taking you to a more modern time, they make it more approachable to our era. By making Louis black they add so much more nuance to his kills and his reason for being. By making it gay, they added something the novel needed: for the relationship between them to be plainly spoken instead of coyly winked at.

The discussion of an abusive relationship and how it's a vicious cycle of love, hurt, hate, love hurt, hate is GENIUS. My only critique, mainly because I loved the movie version and I feel the same way Guillermo does in What We Do in the Shadows, is that Armand's actor isn't ENOUGH. He doesn't chew scenery and spit it out like Antonio Banderas did and his repartee with the writer feels wooden at worst, and standoffish at best. Claudia is my favorite part of the series. While I agree, using rape as a reason to change your mind and come back is a terrible writing decision and could have been done in a different way, I really did believe in her being a teen, her flitting through being a vicious, yet innocent, murdering sociopath child-vampire to being a woman in spirit, no longer innocent, but still a vicious murdering sociopath child-vampire. In a show with a stacked top three characters, she's still my favorite. Anne Frank meets Stephen King indeed. I watched this series because a friend recommended I watch it and I am not disappointed. Spectacular show; can't wait for the witches tv series coming up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This show has been sitting on my DVR for a minute and I just finished up the last two episodes tonight. It's really great and it sucks that I'll have to wait a year for the next season!!

Question I had from episode 6: Louis plays the record he got from Lestat and we hear it both in the present day and in his past retelling. In the present it's Lestat's voice singing, but the past it's a woman's. Louis says there was only one pressing and the masters were destroyed, but we also see him smashing it in the past. I probably should have just rewatched the scene but I can't figure it out I missed something or this was just another example of Louis being an unreliable narrator?

Anyway, Mayfair Witches starts tomorrow. I haven't read any of the books (tho I've grabbed the first one from the library) so I really have no clue how that will tie into the ~Immortal Universe~, but if the show quality is anything approaching Interview, I think I'll be thoroughly entertained.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, Mayfair Witches starts tomorrow. I haven't read any of the books (tho I've grabbed the first one from the library) so I really have no clue how that will tie into the ~Immortal Universe~, but if the show quality is anything approaching Interview, I think I'll be thoroughly entertained.

I watched the first episode. It was ok. I wasn't bored. I'm not sure where the story is going though.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Unlike Interview, I never actually read the book the Mayfair Witches is based on. Is it good? Should I pick it up? Is it a LONG, drawn-out series the way Interview turned into multiple Lestat and Armand books?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I finally got caught up and the chemistry between Jacob Anderson and Sam Reid really sell the show, plus the incredibly unhinged "I heard your hearts dancing" scene. I'm really looking forward to next season now.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Probably already said it, but Sam Reid is acting his heart out in this.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe the thread title should be changed to reflect the Mayfair Witches coming up?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First episode of Mayfair Witches was okay. Obviously not as strong as Interview but it also has a lot more ground to cover in setting things up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mayfair's pilot seemed amateurish,m with some off the most wooden expository dialogue I've seen in a while. That show is a huge pass for me.

Interview is excellent and one of the best TV shows out there.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I don't think it was wooden. I do, however, think they were playing the "keep it vague" card, where you don't really truly know if Lasher is bad or just using the mom or if Carlotta is good and keeping what really is a demon away or is being a hosed up family member. At least, that's how it looked to me, someone who's never read this series.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

I'll get around to this at some point unless the scuttlebutt is completely negative. I'm curious to see Alexandria Daddario lead something, she's been around for ages but I think she's well known mainly because of how beautiful she is. She was good in White Lotus S1, though. No idea what Mayfair Witches is about, but I looked at some comments which seem pissed off that this is transposing the story to a different period/location which is the same thing people were saying about Interview and every single element of that decision was a success so that doesn't bother me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to a producer interview they're open to doing a crossover but nothing is actually planned as of yet. Although there is supposed to be a character that appears in both shows.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Choice dialogue from the mayfair snarkmongers

"Remember the slow knife penetrates the shield"

"...what does that even mean?"

"I don't know some guy said it to me in a bar! haha"

Quality tv indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's just a dumb pop culture reference.