Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, so full disclosure, I watched it while playing Portrait of Ruin, but are there any witches in this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Armor-Piercing posted:

I think the message that the world is a dangerous place is going to be delivered clearly enough as the series continues, and there are other ways to have scared Claudia into coming home that aren't introducing an original character and sexual violence as a cheap plot device. Broadly I think they handled making Claudia older well enough but to me it's a bad sign (and a disclaimer when recommending the show) that they decided that was the best way to develop her character.

FWIW, I don't think it was an original character. I think its Killer, leader of the Fang Gang, from the Baby Jenks section of the 3rd book. Given they have Claudia call him killer, they joke about a fang gang, and he is a biker.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so full disclosure, I watched it while playing Portrait of Ruin, but are there any witches in this show?
The main character is killing people with her mind, and her birth mother has some kind of obviously evil spirit/demon dude following her around. Pretty sure they're witches. The uncle hasn't done any overt magic thus far, but he also seems at least witch-adjacent. And the organisation that's watching over the protagonist also seems kind of witchy.

I still don't have an impression of were this story is going though. And it seems to be going there pretty slowly. If it doesn't pick up in the next episode I might give up on it.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Unlike Interview, I never actually read the book the Mayfair Witches is based on. Is it good? Should I pick it up? Is it a LONG, drawn-out series the way Interview turned into multiple Lestat and Armand books?

Good is subjective and all, and I haven't read the Lives of the Mayfair Witches since I they came out when I was like 11-14ish, but here's what I remember:

There are only three books, but they're like 1000+ pages each. I don't remember finding them particularly hard to get through, even if I didn't like them as much as the early Vampire Chronicles books that I read around the same time. They're extremely Anne Rice, for all of the good and bad that comes with that, including an odd fixation on what characters are wearing, a really unnecessarily young oversexualized character and tons of sexual trauma / exploration of abusive dynamics. The plots are all highly incest and rape involved, but it's at least not portrayed as a good thing, as far as I remember, unlike in some of Rice's writing. Looking back, I can best describe them as a lot like better written, much longer VC Andrews books, only with actual supernatural events.

If you like Rice's writing enough to get through the later Vampire Chronicles books, you can likely at least finish the three Lives of the Mayfair Witches books. The earlier Vampire Chronicles books were much better, imo, though.

I really, really liked the AMC Interview show and ended up binging it all in one go when I was home sick from work yesterday. I watched both of the released Mayfair eps this morning and it hasn't grabbed me nearly like Interview did, but I'm here to see what they end up doing with the at times fairly out-there source material. I'm hoping that the AMC writers will excise a lot of the more sexually hosed up stuff as it goes along.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

The main character is killing people with her mind, and her birth mother has some kind of obviously evil spirit/demon dude following her around. Pretty sure they're witches. The uncle hasn't done any overt magic thus far, but he also seems at least witch-adjacent. And the organisation that's watching over the protagonist also seems kind of witchy.

I still don't have an impression of were this story is going though. And it seems to be going there pretty slowly. If it doesn't pick up in the next episode I might give up on it.
Thank you. I did catch all that. It was more a joke about how we got through the entire pilot with only the promise that this will, at some point in the future, become about witches.

Now, pilot-itis can be undone retroactively. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Veronica Mars come to mind. Not great introductions to their respective shows, but once the cast have all taken up space in your brain as your TV pals, you can revisit and they don't seem bad anymore.

This pilot felt like that's kinda' the only hope this episode has of not being terrible, 'cause I still don't understand what the show is even *about.* I never read these books.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

LividLiquid posted:

Thank you. I did catch all that. It was more a joke about how we got through the entire pilot with only the promise that this will, at some point in the future, become about witches.

If it sticks to the book plots then no.

No it won't.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh. Thank you.

That's... incredibly disappointing.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not really sure what Mulva means, but yes, the story across all three books is about witches. You meet at least three of them who do explicitly witchy things in the first two episodes: the lady gathering herbs in the past to do ye olde timey herb-based spellcraft, the adopted doctor main character who keeps accidentally-on-purpose killing/almost killing people with her uncontrolled inherited powers, and her birth mother who gets up to more overt spell stuff in episode 2.

The story of the three books is about the doctor lady learning about her bio-family and its witch poo poo, which is mostly connected to the spirit Lasher, and then the, uh, more strange than even normal witch stuff that happens after that. Oh, and there's a secret society involved as well, who you also see in the first two eps. The books go to some really strange places, some of which I can't help but think they'll change or leave out for the show, but yeah, there's witches involved throughout.

* edited because I realized I watched two episodes, not one, and some of this stuff is more visible in the second.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 15, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Right on. Thank you. I'll keep watching.

And if it tickles me, I'll re-watch the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of insulting to the people of Scotland to put subtitles on them just speaking normally.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sounds like an insult to americans, actually.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of insulting to the people of Scotland to put subtitles on them just speaking normally.

Yeah, I caught Netflix doing this to Australians in Why Are You Like This?, but only when those characters were talking quickly. Very very stupid / funny.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cake bunny posted:

I'm not really sure what Mulva means, but yes, the story across all three books is about witches.

No, it's about the Taltos. Featuring the Mayfair witches and lots of non-consensual and incestuous sex. And I'll leave it at that because maybe the tv show will do something a bit different, so no reason to go all in on the plots.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 16, 2023

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Mulva posted:

No, it's about (minor book spoiler) the Taltos . Featuring the Mayfair witches and lots of non-consensual and incestuous sex. And I'll leave it at that because maybe the tv show will do something a bit different, so no reason to go all in on the plots.

I just don't think it's very cool to make someone who hasn't read the books and was asking specifically about the involvement of witches in the story think that witches aren't involved throughout because you have feelings on the rest of the things that were also heavily featured in the books. I mean, I do, too, and I get it, but that's not what the person was asking. It's maybe also not cool to post book plot points that aren't revealed in the show yet. Maybe you should spoiler that? IDK. Just seems polite, even if you don't go into detail.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 16, 2023

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Third Mayfair Witches ep is out on Prime. Show continues to feel slow for me, but I'm not sure how much that's a product of me not really watching anything week to week anymore and getting annoyed by that format. They have to do a lot more world building and mystery set up for this story than for something like Interview, so I'm feeling that drag as someone who already knows the source material, too. Any non-book readers who've stuck with it this far - how does the pacing feel to you?

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 22, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cake bunny posted:

Show continues to feel slow for me... They have to do a lot more world building and mystery set up for this story than for something like Interview, so I'm feeling that drag as someone who already knows the source material, too. Any non-book readers who've stuck with it this far - how does the pacing feel to you?
Slow as gently caress. They don't even seem to be doing any world building or mystery setup beyond what was established in episode one. Episode three was basically a whole lot of nothing. You could probably skip it and barely even notice. Then again, at this point it seems like you could maybe skip the whole show and not really miss anything, because it's starting to feel like nothing is actually going to happen. I still have no idea where the story is even going. So I might wait and see if people say the pacing improves in the next episode before I decide whether to watch it or not. I wasn't bored after episode one. Now I am.

Oh, and Alexandra Daddario constantly looks like she's trying to portray every possible emotion all at once. It's too much, and it's really starting to bother me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's probably from the lovely director asking her to do too much. She was great in White Lotus.

Anyways still glad I dropped the show

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

I guess it's not just me, then. I don't really have hope at this point that this is going to be good or even manage to fix what I didn't like about the books, but kind of want to see what they decide to do with the batshit parts of the original. The pacing so far really is killing me, though. If they don't pick it up in the next ep, I don't think it'll make it to the end of the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah the pacing is super bad taking why too long to get anything done.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Yeah the pacing is super bad taking why too long to get anything done.

Sometimes a 24-episode show would be better off as a 12-episode Netflix series. Maybe this is one of those cases where a movie would have been better than a series. I can get behind a slow burn, but there's nothing here to hold on to here to keep interested. I loved Interview but really don't like this.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

delightful posted:

Sometimes a 24-episode show would be better off as a 12-episode Netflix series. Maybe this is one of those cases where a movie would have been better than a series. I can get behind a slow burn, but there's nothing here to hold on to here to keep interested. I loved Interview but really don't like this.

Holy poo poo, the first thing I thought was, "It's going to be 24 episodes LONG?" You can tell the pacing sucks because had someone said that about Interview, I would have been stoked.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, the first thing I thought was, "It's going to be 24 episodes LONG?" You can tell the pacing sucks because had someone said that about Interview, I would have been stoked.

According to Wikipedia I think this is only going to be 8 episodes, which is 6 episodes too many for the thin mystery story they are trying to tell.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

delightful posted:

According to Wikipedia I think this is only going to be 8 episodes, which is 6 episodes too many for the thin mystery story they are trying to tell.

Not if they continue to pout and brood, wasting time for another handful of episodes. Nothing's been happening except some scant exposition about the world. I wouldn't be surprised if a) they leave the ending of the season open-ended and unfinished or b) they mess around until squishing in EVERYTHING important in the last episode. Frankly, I don't know which one would be worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Anyone watched episode four yet? Does anything happen in it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stuff happens at the very end of the episode and it looks like episode five might actually have something to it.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Not enough happened in episode four for me to give enough of a gently caress to watch the next episode, or even to really remember what all happened. I watched it last Sunday and at this point I have a vague, lingering impression that more stuff happened than in previous eps, I just no longer care. At all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/mayfair-witches-renewed-season-2-amc-1235511157/

Renewed...for now. I've no idea about the ratings for this show, but AMC are all-in on the Immortals Universe, choo choo.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/mayfair-witches-renewed-season-2-amc-1235511157/

Renewed...for now. I've no idea about the ratings for this show, but AMC are all-in on the Immortals Universe, choo choo.

Universe this universe that. Let's hope they gave it more thought than Universal's so-called Dark Universe.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/Immortal_AMC/status/1621634884920922113?s=20

More useless poo poo for a show that doesn't particularly inspire cult-fandom.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pan Dulce posted:

https://twitter.com/Immortal_AMC/status/1621634884920922113?s=20

More useless poo poo for a show that doesn't particularly inspire cult-fandom.

You have got to be loving kidding me. Which cokehead pushed for this garbage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode was basically what it should have been doing in like episode two. Also there's an issue with the past plot because, you know, there is evil magic afoot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, I call no way that such a fancy key went to that lock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished the season and as a whole it was incredibly weak. Just too little plot stretched incredibly thin.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Finished the season and as a whole it was incredibly weak. Just too little plot stretched incredibly thin.

Yeah, that's my take as well. It's kinda sad this apparently got better ratings than Interview, which was a much better and more compelling show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I watched episodes four and five last night, but I ended up getting bored and fast-forwarding through bits as nothing seemed to be happening, and I don't feel like I missed anything. I don't think I'll be watching the last three episodes.

delightful posted:

this apparently got better ratings than Interview
How? :stare:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

delightful posted:

Yeah, that's my take as well. It's kinda sad this apparently got better ratings than Interview, which was a much better and more compelling show.

My guess is that there is just a large contingent of people who won't watch man gays, but will watch horny women in crisis, regardless of the quality of the story they're in.

Wrong people, but still.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

My guess is less negative. I just thought the story was done excellently before on film and it couldn't get any better. In fact, I thought vampire media was kinda overplayed and nothing new would come out of this. I only watched because of goon recommendations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wonder if it has anything to do with Twilight.

They were absolute poo poo, but the backlash seemed to have a lot more to do with icky girls not being allowed in the genre treehouse and vampire media never seemed to recover from it.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Watched the last ep this afternoon.

I wanna know how they got the baby to gum all over the key necklace. Was that improvised? Did they smear something yummy all over the prop? That's about the extent of my interest here, straight up production notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, I noticed that too. That baby was all over the necklace.