Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The biggest individual issue with the superimposed board ads will be the fact they probably still won't employ any sort of simulated motion blur on them, just like they don't on the virtual on-ice ads already.

In hockey, the camera is almost constantly panning in one direction or another, and so to have a major element in the picture (like the boards in their entirety) remain completely sharp while the actual real-world footage gets naturally blurry, it causes a big mismatch in our brains. Uncanny valley as gently caress.

e: Then again if they do in fact have animated ads during play, that's going to be even so much worse. Regardless, I hate it.

Jersey ads, helmet ads, complaining about those is almost petty compared to this massive change, at least in terms of the TV experience.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh god, the season starts tomorrow. :woop:

It's only one game but still.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

That’s still preseason. Regular season starts Tuesday night with the following prime time nationally televised games:

The 2 games on Friday and Saturday between Sharks and Predators played in Czechia are regular season games, despite the fact that everyone else is still in preseason.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I'm ready for some meaningful hockey. Who cares that it's Preds vs Sharks, it's still real hockey.

Starts in less than 30 minutes.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

US channels aren't either, only NHL Network, no ESPN+. It's real funny that the NHL has a special overseas season opener and most people can't actually watch it.

Yeah it does rather seem like the big NA broadcasters like to pretend these games aren't even happening and say the regular season really starts on the 11th.

Well, at least Europe cares.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The lack of motion blur on the board ads illustrated.

At least they're less animated than I feared. The ads can have a couple of seconds of animation right after each ad change but otherwise they're still. I'll get used to them, but I still hate them.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are the Preds & Sharks playing in Europe? Is that why they are playing regular season games at the same time as preseason games?

Yes. And they probably set the dates for these games months (maybe half a year) before starting to consider the rest of the schedule.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Another regular-season game between Sharks and Preds is about to start right now.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean I think he's a shitter and probably did it based on all the stories surrounding him, but it likely is an anonymous or pseudonym account. The account was made less than a month ago, with only that tweet, and the name might as well be Jane Doe. Which makes sense! I'm sure she is facing threats and harassment and I wouldn't want to use my real name either.

Yes, and the original tweet (long text) says: "I have decided to speak out anonymously because sadly I feel that this is the only way I can be fully transparent without harassment and retaliation."

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Billebeino is such a tremendously stupid brand name (Billabong parody) that it should've died long ago. But hey, I'm glad he's doing well.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

fartknocker posted:

They also don’t work when they use other camera angles

That's a clear improvement over the digital ads at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey where they did work on other camera angles too. They looked their absolute worst in closeups, and I'm sure the NHL agrees. So if you're going to use virtual board ads, then not using them in closeups is 100% the correct decision.

Another improvement over the WCH16's implementation is that snow sprays don't seem to break the fake boards anymore.

Anyways yes, they are very distracting especially when the ads change. I also noticed they're bolder about changing the digital on-ice ad that's near the blue line when it's in full view. They used to avoid doing that.

It's all poo poo.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 12, 2022

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1580311771478634496

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1580393466055380994?s=20&t=kUZggth-2MFkGlR7PsmVEQ

This poo poo has to go, it was glitchy at times during both Caps games too.

Even when they work correctly, they're distracting because the lack of motion blur makes them look separate from the rest of the picture whenever the camera is panning left or right (i.e. constantly in hockey). It makes their movement look choppy while the rest of the picture "glides" smoothly.

Also since they rely on color keying, you inevitably get random glitches such as Carolina player #26 here getting decapitated. His head was up, but the system decided it's not worth showing (though it reappeared and disappeared a few times)

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 15, 2022

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Because it's an NFL Sunday and teams don't want to compete against that.

To be fair it's not like NFL Sundays are a rare event, while a completely empty Sunday slate is a rarity for the NHL. There will be some games on Sundays for the rest of the year, Christmas break aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1584922729840533504