Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wanted to go with a classic for this year's October MotM and it just so happens Cat People (1942) is turning 80 this year!

It’s about Irena, a woman exiled from Nazi invaded Serbia, who believes she’ll turn into a wild cat if she’s aroused to passion. The film is directed by Jacques Tourneur with cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca. Just a few years before Cat People Nicholas Musuraca worked on Stranger on the Third Floor (1940), one of the earliest film noirs that also set the style for future noirs. Jacques Tourneur would later direct the classic film noir, Out of the Past.

Cat People leans on the film noir style to great effect. Tons of moody lighting and some great use of shadows. While the plot is a bit simplistic, boiling down to a love triangle by the end, it is rich in subtext involving displacement and sexual repression.

https://i.imgur.com/FuPommf.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/rWdeqSE.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/PqsSzko.mp4

I think it’s an incredibly cool movie that I hope you all enjoy. If you enjoy this, there's a sequel, Curse of the Cat People and a 1982 remake directed by Paul Schrader.

It's available on HBOmax (USA at least) in HD and you can also find it on archive.org.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think this film might have the earliest example ever of a fake out jump scare. To be specific the part where she's being tailed and the bus suddenly pulls up and the hiss of the opening doors sounds like a animalistic growl.

There might be earlier examples but I've not seen them.

Great stuff.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Watched it recently and I'm going to watch the remake for the October challenge!

The original is gorgeous, tragic, and every man in the movie fully deserves to get got by a cat, a monster, or a cat monster.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
DeWitt Bodeen is really good at writing scenes in movies about being outed except ya a cat lady or a satanist.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Cat People is in my top 10 all time favorite films. I watch it pretty often and I’ll try to revisit it again this month.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think this film might have the earliest example ever of a fake out jump scare. To be specific the part where she's being tailed and the bus suddenly pulls up and the hiss of the opening doors sounds like a animalistic growl.

There might be earlier examples but I've not seen them.

Great stuff.

It’s definitely considered the first jump scare of this type, to the point where the term “Lewton Bus” was used to refer to jump scares for a long time.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I loved this movie as a kid. This reminds me to revisit it as an adult.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't nab a screen grab of it, but there's a great shot where Irena is standing in front of a portrait with cats in the painting and they seem to be looking at her. It's very on the nose but also looks so good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I didn't nab a screen grab of it, but there's a great shot where Irena is standing in front of a portrait with cats in the painting and they seem to be looking at her. It's very on the nose but also looks so good

I haven't watched this in a minute but the first time I did it struck me as a movie where you could pause it on almost any frame and dissect it for visual information. It's a stunning movie.

Jacques Tourneur also made the outstanding horror movie Night of the Demon, as well as the all-time great film noir Out of the Past. I haven't explored the rest of his filmography, but I really need to knock out I Walked With a Zombie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Night of the Demon is so dope.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I really enjoyed this. Visually it's great and the sound effects used during the scenes where people are getting stalked are expertly done and a shining example of how to raise tension.

This also has an all-time Bad Movie Psychiatrist. My wife was watching this with me and afterwards she said that the scenes with that guy were the most suspenseful ones in the movie for her because he was such a blatant piece of poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
He is in the Seventh Victim as well, connecting the two films. He is horrible there too, lmao.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Xposting from the challenge thread, wanted to rewatch this for this thread and also have it count for a bingo square so I listened to the commentary track on the Criterion blu

gey muckle mowser posted:

28. Cat People (1942)
(dir. Jacques Tourneur)
blu-ray
w/ Gregory Mank commentary from the Criterion release
SPOOKY BINGO: Whispers in the Dark

I’ve seen this maybe a dozen times now, it’s easily in my top 10 favorite films. It walks a perfect line between an intelligent noir-ish drama about sexuality and a b- horror movie about a woman who turns into a cat (“a sex melodrama disguised as a horror film”).

This time I watched it with the commentary track from the Criterion blu-ray by film historian Gregory Mank. It’s a bit dry sometimes, but he crams a lot of information into the film’s 73 minute runtime. Lots of stories of old Hollywood and the cast, details about the production, etc. Nothing earth-shattering, but there is some fun trivia. Some of the more interesting parts were about changes between the script and the final film. For example, there was originally a prologue set in Serbia where German forces attack a small village, only to be fought off by a group of cat women, including Irena. Lots of changes due to censorship too, all of which seem extremely silly today.

Mank also pointed out a lot of the recurring visual motifs of the film, most of which I had already picked up on in previous viewings but a couple of which were new to me. One that stood out is when Oliver and Irena first come back to her apartment, the shadows on the walls look like the bars on the panther cage. He also talks about the lesbian undertones of the scene where Irena encounters the cat woman in the restaurant, which I had definitely never considered. Interesting fact about that scene - the woman’s lines (which translate to “my sister… my sister”) were actually spoken by Simone Simon and overdubbed.

Overall I think it is a worthwhile commentary if you’re a fan of the film.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I started it up on a whim last week and only saw the first 15 min or so before my poor fried brain demanded video games. But I will say I thought it was shocking how this stranger goes into the single girl’s apartment with no chaperone right after meeting her! scandalous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The law is quite explicit.
One cannot divorce an insane person.